Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2002, 05:32 PM   #1  
Growing in Christ

Default Your Favorite "Stick with you" choices????

I need to make better choices, because I'm hungry a LOT of the time. Someone told me proteins before... but are all proteins created equal? Are some better than others as far as sticking with you w/o costing a lot of points?

Thanks!

173/159/105ish
Old 03-18-2002, 07:41 PM   #2  

Hi losing4good. You did not mention what the point range that you are currently eating in is. I only ask as you mentioned that you are hungry a large part of the time. Are you trying to eat at the low end of the range or are you at the high end? This may help me help you answer the question. I have only been on WW for a month but I started in the 20-25 point range. I always ate at 25 or even 27 in that range and didn't feel too deprived. Now, I am supposed to be in the 18-23 range but am still eating at at least 25 points and am still losing steadily. Your hunger suggests to me (IMHO) that you are not eating enough points to satisfy your hunger. I believe true hunger is a valuable tool that should not be ignored regardless of the points we are supposed to have. Ignoring hunger leads to food obsession. Eating until satisfied leads to food indifference. Having said that, have you ever tried snacking on a cup of frozen grapes? Quite filling, satisfies sweet tooth and takes a long time to eat. If I get too hungry, sometimes I will sit down with a small bowl of salsa for 0 points (I guess a cup is 1 point). I don't really know the answer in terms of proteins as opposed to carbs so I haven't really answered your question but I hope I have helped a bit. Best of luck to you with the program.
Old 03-18-2002, 07:49 PM   #3  

The lower the fat, the lower the points will be for your protein sources ounce for ounce. Lean meats like chicken and turkey and egg whites are great protein sources for not a lot of points. If you find you like them (I do), soy meat substitutes (like Boca and Morningstar Farm burgers and sausages) will provide you a good protein source with a little added carbohydrate and fiber. Beans and bean purees make a good high fiber protein source that's not too bad on the points if you watch portion size. And, if portion control's not an issue, peanut butter is an option for some.

As for staying power, I tend to think of it as being more the combination of nutrients that is sustaining. If I eat a snack or meal that includes protein, fat, and carbs (kind of a mini-meal) I tend to do better. An example for me would be 2 oz. lean chicken on a corn tortilla with some lettuce, tomato and salsa. I spend 3-4 points, and I have a mini-meal that gets me through that is fairly high in protein. Lots of other things will do, too, like a little yogurt topped with some fruit and high-fiber cereal. Experimentation will tell you which foods sustain you the best.
Old 03-19-2002, 10:32 AM   #4  

I read this recently, and thought it might help:

"Researchers in Australia have actually identified the foods most likely to quell hunger pangs. The top 10: potatoes, fish, oatmeal, oranges, apples, whole wheat pasta, beefsteak, grapes, air-popped popcorn, and bran cereal."
(from Prevention: Women's Health Today 2001.)

Also, there is a book titled "Volumetrics" that Self magazine thinks is really good. (I ordered it, but haven't gotten it yet.) It's supposed to be about finding filling, bulk-type foods to keep hunger away.

And I also read somewhere that a little protein at breakfast, along with carbs, really helps; I know it has worked well for me. I also take an apple or orange to work for a mid-morning snack. Sugar-free jello is another favorite snack that usually keeps me from raiding the fridge.

Good luck!
Regards,
Jan
Old 03-19-2002, 02:30 PM   #5  
Growing in Christ

Thank you all...

My points range is 30-35, as I am nursing a 6 week old! I know that nursing alone can make me go through periods of HUNGER!!!!!! LOL (He's not my first, but my 5th! )

Andreasmom... I agree with you all the way, in that true hunger needs to be the guide, not the points, and I try to incorporate both.... wait for true hunger, and use the points as a guide as to what I am eating! Helps me to make better choices (can't say as I'm a fan of *diet* food, so I eat less of the real deal!).
Old 03-19-2002, 04:00 PM   #6  
Turtle Buddy

Hi,

I agree with you about eating less of the real deal. I've found that doing that actually keeps me satisfied longer.

However, I do have some favorites:

Soup made with vegetables, beans, pasta, broth, and spices. It's 1 point per cup and very filling. You don't really need a recipe. I

Here's what I do: Use one large can of chicken broth or 6 cups beef or vegetable broth. Two packages frozen vegetables. Sometimes I put a can of chopped tomatoes in. 1/2 package of dried beans (before cooking) or two cans (well rinsed and drained) beans. 8 ounces (dry weight) orzo pasta. Whatever spice combination I'm in the mood for. The pasta and beans need to be precooked. Then simmer the whole thing until the vegetables are cooked. Takes about 10 minutes. You can halve the amounts if you don't want that much soup hanging around. It makes about 5 quarts. But my family eats a lot of it, so I make it in large amounts.

Cook your oatmeal in milk instead of water. It tastes better and is more filling.

Protein doesn't have to mean meat or dairy. Add a few pine nuts or sunflower seeds to a salad. Or some toasted (in a nonstick skillet, no fat) sliced almonds to green beans. The nuts and seeds are point heavy, but a little goes a long way toward making food more satisfying. I eat smaller servings of dry cereal because I get the kind with nuts. They're more satisfying. And nuts and seeds are really good for you.

Be sure to get in a reasonable amount of real fat every day. That makes you less hungry and more healthy. Some people go overboard on lowering the fat in their diet.

A couple of foods that give you larger servings for fewer points: Fish and beans.

Eat whole grains like whole wheat cous cous, brown rice, etc. I replace part of the meat in meatballs with soaked bulgur and my family never noticed the difference, except that they couldn't eat as many. The added whole grain really fills you up.

Hope these tips help.

Lin
Old 03-27-2002, 04:20 PM   #7  
Growing in Christ

Thank you!!! I do forget about the nuts & beans!
Old 04-05-2002, 05:37 PM   #8  

Peanut butter is not low in points, but one tablespoon on half a bagel will keep me on track till lunchtime.
Old 04-08-2002, 08:34 AM   #9  

What will tide me over is an All Bran Muffin. They are great! I lessen the 'pointage' by using egg beaters. I've tried replacing
the oil with applesauce, but even though they tasted good, they just weren't as good.
Also, I noticed that if eat the new Kellogg's Special K with Strawberries for breakfast instead of my usual packet of oatmeal in the morning-I'm starving!! So, I guess oatmeal does the trick.
debbie
Closed Thread