General chatter - I don't like vegetables

View Full Version : I don't like vegetables

PhotoChick
06-22-2008, 01:34 AM
Please forgive me while I rant just a little here. This is one of my huge pet peeves and I've heard it three times today from people who I otherwise respect and like a lot.

I get so annoyed when someone says to me "Oh, I don't eat vegetables. I don't like them." Often I'll ask what kinds of veggies they've tried or how they've tried them prepared and the respose is always something along the lines of how they haven't tried anything because "Vegetables are just gross."

I'm sorry - are you FOUR????? Are you such a child that you won't try something ... that you just make up your mind that it's "gross" (give me a break) and that you won't even give it a chance? Or is it just that it's not a freakin' McDonald's hamburger or something out of a bag smothered in cheese and chili?

It just annoys the ever lovin' crap out of me to hear otherwise normal adults talk about how they won't try *any* veggie because they're "gross".

Right. All veggies. All the different flavors, textures, varieties ... and all the different possible ways to prepare them ... all of them are "gross".

ARGH. Argh argh argh argh.

Grow UP!!!!!

Thank you for letting me rant. Because I certainly can't do it in person to any of these people ...

*sigh*

snapless
06-22-2008, 02:19 AM
I hear you...and I hear -that- enough from my 5 yr old (not about vegetables per se but about anything she hasn't ever tried) to even consider listening to the same thing from an adult.

I don't put up with it from her, why should I from anyone else?

PhotoChick
06-22-2008, 02:24 AM
It just rode my last nerve tonight. We went out with a bunch of friends, some of whom I haven't seen in almost a year. They all mentioned my weight loss and asked me how I did it.

I responded as usual: exercising and changing the way I eat to cut out the junk and incorporate healthier foods - lots of grains, veggies, and proteins.

The minute I said veggies, two people went "Ewwww. I couldn't do that. I *hate* veggies." And then 3 of them went on a long discussion about how veggies are "gross" and how can anyone eat so many veggies ... and any time I mentioned a different kind of veggie, it was "Ewww." But then they'd admit that they'd never actually *tried* that veggie or tried it prepared that way ... or whatever.

*eyeroll*
I thought we were all adults, but apparently not!

amouse
06-22-2008, 02:58 AM
OMG I THOUGHT I WAS ALONE.. LOL

i was coming onto this post to tell you off for being childish.. how have you tryed them ect.. hehehehe

proved me wrong.. lol I love my vegetables. they are the thing i eat the most of. But fruit is what i dont like..... j/k.. lol but i eat alot more veg then fruit.. I get suger cravings wheni eat fruit.. so i drink a glass of orange juice a day most days and have either an apple or banana. i eat tomato and avocado too most days so i suppose i dont do to bad with fruit either

look you non veg eating adults.. my kids eat vegetables.. so.. they must be more mature then you.. lol ... they are 3 and 7 years old.. and my daughter has loved her veg since she was 6 months old..

uumm how can you go though life without veggies?? and they havent tryed half of them.. i would have got annoyyed too.. lol

weegreenlassie
06-22-2008, 03:52 AM
Geez.. singing to the choir here... My live-in boyfriend HATES vegetables. Pasta Sauce and Mashed potatoes are as far into the "vegetable world" he'll go...
Needless to say, if I buy any, they go bad. :( *sigh* I'm afraid that people are creatures of habit... and if you offer anything outside of habit, they ~EWWW~ :(

sacha
06-22-2008, 05:04 AM
If you don't like vegetables, fine with me.

But don't complain about how you can't seem to get proper nutrients and can't lose weight in a healthy sustainable manner. It's absurd.

mxgirl737
06-22-2008, 05:40 AM
I won't eat pickles. in fact, I've never eaten a pickle. They're gross.

A) To me, they stink.
B) I find them visually unappealing.
C) I don't like cucumbers.

Therefore, I conclude pickles are gross. I'll even really get your heart rate up and tell you... I won't eat anything that has even been touched by a pickle--yes, I'll throw away half my burger if the place puts a pickle on the plate and gets pickle juice all over my bun.

I also think watermelon is disgusting. and raw tomatoes that aren't diced into little squares...OMG! The world will end if I eat anything other than chopped, diced, or squashed tomatoes. You think I'm joking...

I think that's one of the hardest parts about being on a diet. You can't expect everyone around you to conform and magically start loving all the yummy foods you do. If you expect others to cater to your dietary choices, you're just setting yourself up for unneeded stress.

Adults have choice. That's the beautiful thing about being an adult. You don't like onions? ...no problem! Don't eat them.

I know people think I'm goofy for eating powdered peanut butter and soy meat... oh well. It's what I like.

Don't get worked up... maybe someday they'll expand their tastes.

srmb60
06-22-2008, 06:13 AM
I sometimes wonder if this is more of a drama problem than it is an actual nutritional eating impairment.

Take mxgirl737 for instance. I am absolutely certain that she doesn't sit in a group of people and make faces and shreek ew! when there are cucumbers around. Nor does she declare that all vegetables are gross!

I don't like eggplant but I'll bet maybe two people even know that.

I don't like vegetables is a statement guaranteed to stir up a response and some folks like that.

rockinrobin
06-22-2008, 06:43 AM
I think so many people are totally unaware how to prepare vegetables to bring out there natural wonderful tastes and textures.

Many, certainly not all, just boil them to death and add salt. They end up a big, undistinguishable bunch of mush.

When I decided to lose my weight, I knew I had to come up with a healthy eating plan. One that I could stick to. I knew that I would need a lot of volume. I don't like to be hungry! I also knew I needed lots of nutrients and low cal food to be the main part of my food consumption. Hence began my love affair with veggies. I also knew that I must, I simply must love what I'm eating. So, I experimented with different cooking methods, spices, herbs and brand new vegetables that I've either never heard of, never tried or never gave much of a chance. Through experimentation, I've discovered lots of wonderful new vegetables and incredible dishes, which I can honestly say I thoroughly enjoy and look forward to eating. Just as much as the old, calorie laden foods I was eating before, if not more so, in fact.

Who knew simple roasting could bring out soooo much flavor in asparagus, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, carrots and on and on? I hadn't a clue how wonderful winter squashes were, like butternut and acorn. I despised and yes - ewwed at tomatoes. But I knew they were very nutritionally sound and gave them another shot. At first I roasted them. I knew I loved tomato sauce, but not the actual tomato. Roasting them seemed the perfect answer. And it was!! Then I figured I would try them small. So I chopped them finely and put them in salads. Then I got courageous and tried grape tomatoes. Love em'!

Many people look at me like I'm totally crazy when they ask me what I eat and I tell them that I live on tons and tons of veggies. Like I'm a total nutjob and lunatic. They wonder how I do it and feel that there is no way on earth that they would even attempt a lifestyle like that. They feel as if I'm depriving myself and missing out. Nothing, absolutely NOTHING could be further from the truth.

When I have people over for company, and they try my various different veggie recipes, they are shocked at how good they are. Shocked.

Gosh, I wish people would just give them a chance. Most people just disregard vegetables right off the bat. They have bad memories of them from childhood. I think one really has to be open to the idea of veggies before they even give them a chance. How sad. Many people are missing out on some great stuff that nature provides. :(

yoyoma
06-22-2008, 07:05 AM
I'm sure there is some genetic predisposition against certain tastes and also possibly a genetic predisposition towards (or against) trying new things. But I think a lot of preference is based on "calibration". When you eat foods regularly, you are more likely to start to enjoy them and to miss them when you are deprived for a short time. This is just as true for salads as it is for donuts (at least it is for me). It also seems like sweetness, saltiness, and spiciness are adjustments that can be made over time.

As a young adult, I was very keen on fruits and veggies but really hated cukes and bananas. I made an effort to learn to like them. I now like cukes (don't love them but I like them). But I still hate yellow bananas, even though I now like red bananas, baby bananas, plantains, banana bread, banana chips, etc. And it's not the texture, it's something about the taste (yuck!).

meowee
06-22-2008, 07:12 AM
I like almost all vegetables and prefer them as plain and unadorned as possible. Tomatoes (actually a fruit), asparagus, and cauliflower are three of my favourites.

Have to admit that, like SusanB, I do not like eggplant. Not fond of parsnips or olives either.

snapless
06-22-2008, 07:33 AM
I think the OP was talking about people who, in a general blanket statement way, will just say "I hate vegetables" when they've never tried certain things.

mxgirl737, I can understand your reluctance with pickles. I've lived in Japan for 4.5 years and have never tried natto. Supposedly it is very good (healthy) for you. Supposedly it tastes good. I can't get past the god-awful smell.

I also personally can't stand beets. Yes, I've tried them all different kinds of ways...just don't like them.

But...that does NOT mean I won't try them again if someone offers up a new way of preparing them that I haven't had yet.

My ex-father-in-law never ate cooked broccoli for about 40 years. Then one day his wife cooked it outside on the grill where he didn't have to smell it cooking, he tried it and liked it. Just couldn't stand the smell.

AJ113
06-22-2008, 07:38 AM
It makes me laugh when I hear people say that they don't like vegetables. What do they think their french fries are made from? What do they think is in the sauce on their pizzas? What do they think is in their tomato sauce? I agree that many vegetables when eaten raw or cooked very simply can have a disagreeable taste to some people, but as rockinrobin says, it is simply down to finding a way of cooking them to change the taste.

When my kids were younger they wouldn't eat their vegetables, so we used to puree them and add them to the gravy. They never knew any different.

People who say "eeeww" to vegetables are merely expressing their insecurities, even the thought of being outside their comfort zone distresses them. All you can do is feel sorry for them - or if it helps, give them a damn good slapping, but you will probably be removed from theri Christmas card list if you do that.

nelie
06-22-2008, 08:31 AM
There are real psychological reasons in which people may not like vegetables. We do learn young what things we like and what things we don't like. If you were growing up and said 'ew' to veggies and your parents never forced the issue, then it is possible that you may not like many vegetables or it may be very hard to learn to eat veggies.

From my experience, I grew up eating veggies although I wouldn't say they were my favorite things. I hated the idea of spinach because the smell of cooked spinach was gross. I actually still have a hard time with cooked spinach unless it is very lightly sauteed. Of course my disgust with the smell of cooked spinach led me to avoid all spinach and any dish with even a minute amount of spinach in it. Eventually I tried dishes with small amounts of cooked spinach and even ventured onto raw spinach. It was a bit of a mental hurdle for me though. I now love raw spinach and eat tons of spinach every week.

Also, when I moved out on my own and started cooking for myself, I didn't eat a lot of veggies. Veggies would be ingredients in food but would never be the focus. I realized that I needed to eat veggies so I changed my eating habits. I started was by finding veggies i liked and eating those. Then I'd try different preparations of various veggies. I just basically started small, expanded on what I found and kept going. Now I eat a very veggie focused diet. It didn't happen overnight but it did happen.

I think one of the best things you can do for your health and for your weight loss efforts is learn to at least like some veggies. It can take a lot of experimentation but I think it is worth it.

amouse
06-22-2008, 08:43 AM
People who say "eeeww" to vegetables are merely expressing their insecurities, even the thought of being outside their comfort zone distresses them. All you can do is feel sorry for them - or if it helps, give them a damn good slapping, but you will probably be removed from theri Christmas card list if you do that.

Omg did this make me laugh... thanks for that http://i28.tinypic.com/34xqgyo.jpg

onesullengurl
06-22-2008, 09:45 AM
:lol: I have the Same problem with my now 6 yr old and to make matters worse my 2 year old watches his reaction and behaviors to food so he will only eat the vegetables big brother eats but if big brother eats it he will too which winds up being corn or carrots ... he cant have carrots ! for allergy reasons... and then corn ! corn ! you know the stuff that has no nutritional value and you poop it out whole ( and he DOES poop it out whole ) ....my husband is the SAME way hes like a child If I make a different vegetable or I make a vegetable prepared a certain way he won't even TRY ONE BITE UGH... even when we get stir frys or or sauces that I make with little tiny specks of red peppers or green peppers ( he will actually pick out the little specks or not eat it at ALL ) its ridiculous and I know this is where my 6 year old learned it from and now teaching my 2 yr old .... they all 3 drive me nuts ... my husband always says " salads are for rabbits" :lol:

I also agree with nelie and yoyoma about genetics and upbringing ...
My husband was raised not eating vegetables or spiced up foods ..I was opposite I was raised on EVERY vegetable or fruit you can think of and different ways of eating them and spices ! I mean if something called for 1 clove of garlic my moms rule was 5 cloves to every 1 called for in recipe :lol:
and also I think everyones taste buds are different as in "more or less sensative" I wouldn't mind if my husband tryed a bite and honestly didn't like something ( I wish he would try for the kids sake but) I really just get irritated when he wont even try one little bite .... thats is the crap my 6 yr old does .... grow up hubby!

I hated peas growing up and no matter how hard my mom tried .. I was not eating them they smelled like stinky feet... but THEN I grew up and now I eat them and they taste good! :lol:

my 6 year old IF I can even get him to try a bite of something hes already made up his mind he doesn't want to like it so even if he secretly does like it he wont admit and says " I don't like it" :lol: ( he will continue eating bites if we are not looking )

mxgirl737 - I can definately relate to you that is how I feel about mushrooms and your post cracked me up !

this reminds me of the V8 commercials haha * did you have your veggies today? *BONK*

JayEll
06-22-2008, 09:53 AM
Personally--I don't care what other people eat! I'm too busy watching what I eat... And, I don't care what other people like or don't like, unless I'm inviting them to my house for dinner...

So--I say, live and let live! ;)

Jay

PhotoChick
06-22-2008, 10:13 AM
Oh I agree about one or two veggies or wahtever. I don't like brussels sprouts. I've had them boiled, steamed, baked, broiled, roasted, grilled ... I just don't like them. I'm not terribly fond of pickled beets either (although I love raw beets). Oh and okra in any form other than fried makes me gag -I think it's the sliminess of the "juice".

But to blanketly reject ALL veggies as "gross" ... just on principle. Give me a break.

And Jay, I'm all about live and let live, but when you ask me a question and then shriek "ewwwwww" like a bratty 3 year old? Then, yeah, I get a little peeved.

sh3l5
06-22-2008, 10:27 AM
my bf always claimed he was illergic to vegetables....
that was until he met me n started coming for t at my house....
finally found out it wasnt the case at all....
he simply hadnt tried any of them....
now he has at least three portions a day....

walking2lose
06-22-2008, 10:46 AM
I LOVE my veggies and feel sorry for anyone who doesn't!

One of my dear friends has a 10 year old daughter who not only will eat no veggies (or actually she does now eat baby carrots, which my friend treats as a major source of pride!), she only eats one or two fruits. I recently took a large tossed salad to a party where my friend and daughter were present - salad consisted of romaine and spinach, feta, walnuts, strawberries. I served with a raspberry vinagrette and it got RAVES and was gone quickly. I tried to coax her daughter to eat some of the strawberries plain -- she had NEVER HAD A STRAWBERRY BEFORE!!! This was shocking to me. This child lives on fast food and when at home either chicken nuggets with ranch or mac and cheese (her two dinner staples)

It is because she has not been EXPOSED to veggies by my friend, her mom, who brings home fast food at least 3 times a week. This little girl will grow up into an EWWW adult when veggies are mentioned. It's sad, though, because it's not her fault.

Last night I prepared the following dinner - fresh, shelled butter bean (tiny limas) bought at the farmer's market - served with drizzle of olive oil, salt, lemon pepper, and a dash of dill; green beans with sauteed with a light asian sauce; fresh sweet corn; sliced tomatoes (also from market); and my dh was given a small chicken breast with this. I made mine into a huge salad and added black beans (just canned). I ate the butter beans in a separate bowl, and they were delicious. It was a hodge podge of what I had on hand - for me a delicious meal of just veggies, and for DH a good "cleansing" meal (as he informed me this morning - lol). We currently are anxiously awaiting peppers, cukes, eggplant, tomatoes, zuchinni, and squash from our garden.

rockinrobin
06-22-2008, 10:56 AM
I LOVE my veggies and feel sorry for anyone who doesn't!

It is because she has not been EXPOSED to veggies by my friend, her mom, who brings home fast food at least 3 times a week. This little girl will grow up into an EWWW adult when veggies are mentioned. It's sad, though, because it's not her fault.

I feel the same way! I feel sorry for people who don't appreciate veggies. They don't know what they're missing out on. Just like I didn't before I changed my lifestyle.

When I bring a platter of roasted veggies to the table, my DH comments almost every single time just how attractive they are. We (my family) scarf down an enormous platterful. When I serve butternut squash, baked with apples, walnuts and maple syrup, I've got people fighting for the last drop of it. When I make a salad full of baby spinach, romaine hearts, mango, yellow peppers, strawberries, red onions, mandarin oranges, and walnuts, we're scrapping the bowl trying to get each and every bite in. When I make spicy roasted cauliflower with cayenne pepper, cumin, garlic and onion I need to make more then 2 heads at a time, to just try and accomodate every one. Oh I can go on and on........

As far as the EWWW about veggies. What she and many others should be EWWWing about - is that fast food she dines on 3X a week.

walking2lose
06-22-2008, 11:29 AM
Robin... I know!

BTW, lots of your veggie recipes look delicious - I will be trying butternut that way next winter. I've seen you post about it often. YUM!

As far as being attractive, I agree on that one too... last night when I handed my DH his plate, his first comment was "This is a colorful dinner." I forgot to add that we also had leftover cauliflower and red pepper salad. It was different shades of green, orange, red - so pretty!

fiberlover
06-22-2008, 12:20 PM
I wish I loved veggies. I really do. It would make life a lot easier. I keep trying them in the hopes that new and different preparations will make a difference.

I have 'acclimated' to some new ones, but others give me a gag reflex (mushrooms are a great example of that). Do you ever have that where your throat just locks up? (Buttermilk by itself does that to me, too. My grandmother used to drink that by the glass and I tried one time LOL!)

I have found that pureeing them and adding to other foods like tomato sauce is a great way for me to eat them. Can you say little kid anyone??

So, I will plug along eating the few veggies I do eat everyday: broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, radishes, bell peppers, fennel. I'll keep trying new ones, but as long as I am getting in something - that is a huge step for me.

Sarah Mac
06-22-2008, 12:26 PM
I have found that pureeing them and adding to other foods like tomato sauce is a great way for me to eat them. Can you say little kid anyone??

I puree certain veggies too! I got my mom a magic bullet it is amazing! My parents puree onion, celery, and bell pepper and seperate it into freezer bags and throw it in everything we eat.

Have you tried cauliflower mashed 'potatoes'..It is absolutely delicious and better than real potatoes!

WarMaiden
06-22-2008, 01:03 PM
After reading all this, I'm grateful that my husband (native southerner who grew up on boiled vegetables and gravy) is as into veggies as he is. If he thinks he doesn't like a particular veggie, he will at least try it when I prepare it a new way, and he's very into ethnic cuisines that include lots of veggies and beans. Our 12-year-old will eat nearly anything, including any veggies and fruits. The 7-year-old is a super-taster, we think, so he hates everything...but he eats a few veggies and fruits. The 5-year-old is the worst, but her issue with veggies is just to have a power struggle with us, probably.

So yeah, phew, I'm grateful it's not so bad at our house!

rockinrobin
06-22-2008, 02:23 PM
I wish I loved veggies. I really do. It would make life a lot easier. I keep trying them in the hopes that new and different preparations will make a difference.

I have 'acclimated' to some new ones, but others give me a gag reflex (mushrooms are a great example of that). Do you ever have that where your throat just locks up? (Buttermilk by itself does that to me, too. My grandmother used to drink that by the glass and I tried one time LOL!)

So, I will plug along eating the few veggies I do eat everyday: broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, radishes, bell peppers, fennel. I'll keep trying new ones, but as long as I am getting in something - that is a huge step for me.

Oh yes, I feel VERY fortunate that I like so many vegetables. I do agree that it's made this whole lifestyle change MUCH more enjoyable and without a doubt easier.

You happen to like some of my favorites - broccoli, carrots, peppers and broccoli. But I despise fennel and don't care much for radishes. We really are all different.

When people say they don't like vegetables, I wonder if they're exaggerating. I mean can they really not like the whole entire vast varieties of veggies that are out there? I surely hope not.

Even someone who doesn't like many veggies, like Lori, has found at least some to enjoy.

Hat Trick
06-22-2008, 04:36 PM
My husband and daughter are allergic to many fruits -- bananas, strawberries, nectarines, peaches, pineapple, watermelon, etc. The fruit literally makes their throats itch and sting. They've definitely carried this over to the veggie arena. Can't say as I blame them; I'd be very reluctant to try something new if I thought it would make my throat go crazy. As for the people responding 'eewwww' when you say veggies -- so what? They're entitled to their opinions, different from yours though they may be. If they don't want to try something new, it's their loss. If someone responded to me that way I'd just smile knowingly and have a big old plate of various veggies. :)

GlitteringPink
06-22-2008, 04:37 PM
Personally--I don't care what other people eat! I'm too busy watching what I eat... And, I don't care what other people like or don't like, unless I'm inviting them to my house for dinner...

So--I say, live and let live! ;)

Jay

:bravo:

I agree! ;)

preetyladyserenity
06-22-2008, 05:41 PM
I like vegetables. I wish I could cook them as good as my grandmother does, but I am experimenting.

I can pinpoint 3 kind of veggies I can't eat. White big beans (I love their taste but every time I ate them I would get really sick in the stomach), okra (they feel extremely slimy in the mouth. Mum and I always argue because she loves their taste to pieces) and butter-squash (I find it to be sickening sweet).

mxgirl737
06-22-2008, 07:23 PM
my mom never really made us eat veggies. my parents weren't really into them so... my grandma would try, but me, my bro, and my sis (who are stick thin!) would reject them. Sometimes even throw a little fit. We NEVER ate salad. my parents don't like it... so we were never around it. I JUST ate green pepper for the first time a few months ago. It's my favorite!

I think it has a lot to do with how you're raised. Mom made a lot of hotdishes and we ate a lot of fruit. My brother and sister will still not touch most veggies. They'll maybe eat like 3 --carrorts, potatoes, and mushrooms. My brother is 21 and will still have a tantrum if there is onions or tomatoes that still look like tomatoes in ANYTHING. (again, mom never really cooked with them...or if she did, she'd make us kids a different meal).

It's just how we were raised. Very plain, picky eaters. It's hard to change that. I have made HUGE progress. But I still refuse to eat some things that I won't even try...sorry.

PhotoChick
06-22-2008, 07:27 PM
I just don't understand not even wanting to even TRY something. How can you possibly say that you like it or you don't if you refuse to even try????

HarpoChicoGroucho
06-22-2008, 07:44 PM
I don't care what other people refuse to try. It isn't any of my business. I try lots of things, but never EVERYTHING. I have a sister who only eats corn and potatoes. She says she doesn't like veggies all the time, and she hasn't tried many at all. What do I care? I haven't attempted working as a garbage collector or a high rise building window washer, but I can positively say that I wouldn't like it one bit. I don't like driving a race car. I don't like skateboarding. I haven't tried them, but I know I don't like them. Sometimes you just know if you're not going to like something. I don't like cow brains, tripe, rocky mountain oysters, anchovies, Vegemite (sorry Aussies :), fish heads, head cheese and haggis either (sorry Scots :) And I will live my life never liking any of those things, because I refuse to try them. And if anyone has a problem with that, I don't really care. :)

PhotoChick
06-22-2008, 07:47 PM
Wow. This has turned into a really pissy thread.

I'm so glad for you, the holier-than-thou people who are so proud of the fact that you don't care with other people do.

The fact remains when someone complains to me that they can't seem to lose weight or have a hard time eating healthy and then follow that up with "I don't like veggies and there are some that I won't even try" ... yeah, it irks me.

It's a childish mindset. Grown adults don't whine about not liking veggies that they refuse to try.

HarpoChicoGroucho
06-22-2008, 07:55 PM

I'm so glad for you, the holier-than-thou people who are so proud of the fact that you don't care with other people do.

The fact remains when someone complains to me that they can't seem to lose weight or have a hard time eating healthy and then follow that up with "I don't like veggies and there are some that I won't even try" ... yeah, it irks me.

It's a childish mindset. Grown adults don't whine about not liking veggies that they refuse to try.

When did you say your friends were trying to lose weight? That's another discussion when someone is trying to eat healthier and they refuse to try new things. It's definitely an obstacle, but still, I don't have any right to tell them they are being childish for refusing. I can politely explain that it's helpful to learn to enjoy vegetables. We are talking about adults who make their own decisions. I can't call them a child for refusing to try new things. That's pretty childish itself in my book to resort to name calling.

And when did it become "holier than thou" to not care what other people do? That's called minding your own business. If they aren't affecting my health or my well-being, it's their right to do what they choose to do.

kaplods
06-22-2008, 08:38 PM
I agree, "Holier than thou," describes self-righteousness, not acceptance of diverse opinions and attitudes, even when the attitude and opinions are not your own.

TJFitnessDiva
06-22-2008, 09:06 PM
I really don't care what other people eat (I am not holier than thou either....I really just do not care lol)....as long as my family tries stuff before they declare they don't like it then it's all good :) Yes I make my kids try something even if they "think" they don't like it. My 4 year old is very picky and won't eat cooked veggies but give those same veggies to him uncooked and he tears them up! Esp raw green bell peppers...weirdo lol j/k

Everyone has their quirks and while yes saying "ewwww!" like a 4 year old is a bit dramatic it would just make me roll my eyes at them the next time they complained about not losing weight.

As for me I can't stand beets cooked in any way and cooked oatmeal (the texture makes me gag even if it smells good lol).

murphmitch
06-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Sometimes you just know if you're not going to like something.

I told my mother not to make me eat peas as a child, but she wouldn't listen. She forced me to eat cooked canned peas. And I barfed all over the table and make my brothers & sisters sick. Still can't eat them to this day. I do like the dark green fresh ones in 7 layered salad though. Can't stand the smell of brussell sprouts. I like cooked spinach in things, but forget eating it by itself. Some things you just know.

I have a son who is mildly autistic. He doesn't like a lot of foods. Sometimes it's the texture or the smell. He tends to eat the same things a lot and won't try new foods. I can't get him to eat a balanced diet. He's working on the fruits though.

HarpoChicoGroucho
06-22-2008, 09:18 PM
Smell is a huge factor in taste as well. If something smells incredibly unappetizing, there's a good chance you're not going to like it. My mom is a huge gizzard eater, and against better judgment (the smell to me was nauseating), I tried one. It tasted worse than it smelled. :barf: And the same thing with oysters. I thought they smelled awful, and sure enough, they made me nearly throw up at the table.

Ija
06-22-2008, 09:33 PM
Smell is a huge factor in taste as well. If something smells incredibly unappetizing, there's a good chance you're not going to like it. My mom is a huge gizzard eater, and against better judgment (the smell to me was nauseating), I tried one. It tasted worse than it smelled. :barf: And the same thing with oysters. I thought they smelled awful, and sure enough, they made me nearly throw up at the table.

I have never in my life eaten a pickle, and thanks to its disgusting, near vomit-inducing smell, I never will. :p

PhotoChick
06-22-2008, 09:40 PM
And again this post descends.

It's fine if you don't like something, but there's no need to describe it as "disgusting and vomit inducing". That's sort of rude to those of us who like those things ... just as if we said your favorite food was "vomit inducing".

That's as childish as "ewwwwwwww!" ... if not more pointed.

junebug41
06-22-2008, 09:45 PM

Kind of began that way, no?

SoulBliss
06-22-2008, 09:51 PM

It's fine if you don't like something, but there's no need to describe it as "disgusting and vomit inducing". That's sort of rude to those of us who like those things ... just as if we said your favorite food was "vomit inducing".

I think it is childish and ridiculous to take it personal and call others "holier than thou" for stating facts, but it's happened to me on more than one occasion when discussing the realities of the animal industry.

The idea of eating something that has been cooked on the same surface as dead animal flesh or secretions is repulsive to me, just as repulsive as if there were excrement or mucus on my plate of food.

I find the eating of animal flesh and secretions repugnant, sick, twisted and unnecessary (here, in modern society where we have other options for food choice).

That doesn't have anything to do with anyone else's choices and 99% of the people I associate with, love and care for eat those things regularly.

If asked, I state the truth about how I feel.

That doesn't mean that I "judge" them or feel "holier than thou". It's just how I feel. They feel differently and that is okay.

PhotoChick
06-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Kind of began that way, no?
I posted right up front that this was a rant of something that really annoyed me. Other people have ranted about pet peeves on this site before without the thread turning into this.

But I apologize for not being so perfect as you are ... and allowing things to annoy me.

*eyeroll*

PhotoChick
06-22-2008, 09:53 PM
Well I've lost a lot of respect for several people who I previously thought were pretty nice people.

Moving on. I'm done with this thread. It's become entirely too rude and pissy for my taste.

HarpoChicoGroucho
06-22-2008, 09:55 PM

I like pickles very much and I'm not offended at all. I think it's fine if she wants to describe it that way. People has personal food preferences, Photo. I've heard people say, "wow, I can't believe you don't like pickles. I love them." But do they really take deep offense to it that someone doesn't like THEIR favorite food? I don't think so. Do they storm away fuming? Well, maybe some people do . . .

This thread started as a food preference thread, not to criticize choices of words, even if those words are considered to you to be "childish."

JulieJ08
06-22-2008, 09:55 PM
Wow. What else is there to say.

SoulBliss
06-22-2008, 09:56 PM
I posted right up front that this was a rant of something that really annoyed me. Other people have ranted about pet peeves on this site before without the thread turning into this.

But I apologize for not being so perfect as you are ... and allowing things to annoy me.

*eyeroll*

Where did Junebug say or indicate she was "perfect"? I don't understand why you are so upset and getting so annoyed here, in this thread.

Some people feel like it's not a big deal that others act as you have described (being closed to new vegetables). I understand that it's not logical to you. I get it. As I said, I feel similarly that it isn't logical to disconnect from what is on the plate, when it was a living, breathing creature before. But, what can ya do? :)

By the way, I am *still* wondering why there is a "." at the end of all of your posts. I am SO curious and want to know why. :lol:

Ija
06-22-2008, 09:57 PM
If asked, I state the truth about how I feel.

That doesn't mean that I "judge" them or feel "holier than thou". It's just how I feel. They feel differently and that is okay.

Apparently, your (and everyone else's) feelings aren't welcome here. :shrug:

junebug41
06-22-2008, 10:00 PM

*eyeroll*

Just because you put up a discalimer doesn't negate its "pissyiness". I'm just saying you shouldn't be surprised that a thread that began as a rant lead to more.. rants.

Maybe you should take a breath before you hurl insults at people in such rapid succession.

And I disagree about pet peeves being covered on this site not stirring up such a fuss. Dig up the threads about people who have a small amount of weight to lose calling themselves degarding names, or the infamous Lean Cuisine thread.

They usually don't go down in such a blaze of glory though. I will give you that.

SoulBliss
06-22-2008, 10:01 PM
Grown adults don't whine about not liking veggies that they refuse to try.

Yes, they do, obviously, because YOUR friends do, as you have pointed out at the start of this thread. Is this thread and the frustration you feel really about your disappointment in the quality of your friends?

It can hurt when we realize that we have less in common with the people we choose to have in our lives than we once thought. :(

PhotoChick
06-22-2008, 10:06 PM
I've heard people say, "wow, I can't believe you don't like pickles. I love them." But do they really take deep offense to it that someone doesn't like THEIR favorite food
There's a huge difference between "I really don't like pickles." and "Pickles are disgusting and vomit inducing."

Think about the difference there.

Ija
06-22-2008, 10:09 PM
I do not deserve to be called childish. This is getting ridiculous.

SoulBliss
06-22-2008, 10:10 PM
There's a huge difference between "I really don't like pickles." and "Pickles are disgusting and vomit inducing."

Think about the difference there.

There is a difference. The difference is that they perceive pickles to be "disgusting and vomit inducing" and so that is how they state how they feel.

HarpoChicoGroucho
06-22-2008, 10:10 PM
Yeah I did . . . still not offended. Anyone chime in if I offended them when I said I tried oysters and they almost made me throw up. Anyone? They are just words, Photo. Just words. And it's just food personal food preferences. No one is saying they find a certain food disgusting for the sole purpose of personally offending YOU and criticizing YOUR food choices.

HarpoChicoGroucho
06-22-2008, 10:12 PM

Your NOT childish. AT ALL. Don't be offended. Unfortunately, we have posters who quickly resort to name-calling when they can't come up with a rational argument. (I'm referring to no one specific here :))

As soon as some other mods come around, the thread will be closed or deleted.

Ija
06-22-2008, 10:12 PM
There is a difference. The difference is that they perceive pickles to be "disgusting and vomit inducing" and so that is how they state how they feel.

It wasn't my intention to offend anyone. Pickles make me gag... I can't help it. Thanks for understanding :hug:

Ija
06-22-2008, 10:13 PM
Your NOT childish. AT ALL. Don't be offended. Unfortunately, we have posters who quickly resort to name-calling when they can't come up with a rational argument. (I'm referring to no one specific here :))

Thanks Harpo! And by the way I love oysters, so we're even! :dizzy:

SoulBliss
06-22-2008, 10:13 PM

I don't think you are "childish" for what its worth.

I love pickles. I used to drink the pickle jar juice as a child! :lol: I put vinegar on many foods as a seasoning. I love cucumbers too. I also like "pickle" Indian condiment and kimchee and other traditional "pickle" dishes. You probably would be repulsed by much of what I like, but that's okay. It's all good. ;) Variety, spice of life and all that makes the world interesting.

Side note in regards to thread in general:

Well, I was hoping that others would be "adult" enough to address points I have raised, but apparently ignoring them is what is happening instead. Oh well! :lol:

murphmitch
06-22-2008, 10:14 PM
Who knew vegetables could be so controversial?

PhotoChick
06-22-2008, 10:16 PM
apparently ignoring them is what is happening instead.

Yes, I tend to ignore being baited. :) It has been an interesting discussion ... as I said, I learned quite a bit about several people here. Quite enlightening.

junebug41
06-22-2008, 10:19 PM
Yes, I tend to ignore being baited. :)

And I must tell you what a fabulous job you're doing of ignoring it.

SoulBliss

I did! :) I know that may have been a tongue-in-cheek statement, but...

Seriously, in my experience, my eating a plant-based diet offends some people, it is as if they think that my choices are moral judgments on them and their choices. It's not, not for me, anyway.

I like what I like and you like what you like. Diversity is a great thing. :carrot:

JulieJ08
Calling food disgusting, mentioning vomit, etc, etc, etc, at the dinner table is not childish, it is just plain rude. However, talking about it on a chat board is an entirely different thing.

PhotoChick
06-22-2008, 10:20 PM
Love the way the MODERATOR is continuing the flame-war with snide remarks. :)

SoulBliss
06-22-2008, 10:22 PM
Anything that can't be responded to with name calling or eye rolls won't be addressed at this time. :)

:lol: Yes, logic and any attempts at a real discussion shall be ignored, apparently. :o How dare I be rational and even show compassion in the process! What was I thinking! I really didn't know that could possibly be looked at as "baiting". :dizzy:

HarpoChicoGroucho
Well, I did the mature thing and deleted mine. Who else is going to be mature and do the same thing about remarks that offended others?

murphmitch
I did! :) I know that may have been a tongue-in-cheek statement, but...

Seriously, in my experience, my eating a plant-based diet offends some people, it is as if they think that my choices are moral judgments on them and their choices. It's not, not for me, anyway.

I like what I like and you like what you like. Diversity is a great thing. :carrot:

My concern, if I ate a meal with you, would not be a judgement by you against me. Rather, I would not want to offend you or make you feel ill with the food I am eating. Soulbliss, how do you handle that when you eat with others? No offense intended.

SoulBliss
06-22-2008, 10:23 PM
Love the way the MODERATOR is continuing the flame-war with snide remarks. :)

Pot? Kettle. Black.

I see snide remarks, baiting and tantrum-throwing AND I know who originated it. I think everyone else does too. ;)

SoulBliss
06-22-2008, 10:25 PM
My concern, if I ate a meal with you, would not be a judgement by you against me. Rather, I would not want to offend you or make you feel ill with the food I am eating. Soulbliss, how do you handle that when you eat with others? No offense intended.

It bothers DH a lot more than it bothers me. He's so sensitive! :)

I tend to keep my eyes on my plate and try not to think about what others are doing, honestly. When in mixed company, if someone asks me about what I think and why I am vegan, I usually suggest that we discuss it another time while not eating (to be kind to them, to make them more comfortable).

SoulBliss
06-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Well, I did the mature thing and deleted mine. Who else is going to be mature and do the same thing about remarks that offended others?

Do you mean the pickle ones?

Sorry. ;)

If I said anything off color, I will gladly delete it.

kaplods
06-22-2008, 10:29 PM
Personally, I think this has been a very calm and rational discussion from all involved, with one very notable exception.

I don't think disagreeing with someone respectfully should be a reason to shut down a thread or censor/edit posts. I see only one person being disrespectful and descending into name calling.

HarpoChicoGroucho
06-22-2008, 10:31 PM
Well, I'm sure it will be closed or deleted. I'll let the other mods decide that. The offensive and name calling posts may be removed. I'm not sure. We'll see. :)

murphmitch
06-22-2008, 10:36 PM
I don't think disagreeing with someone respectfully should be a reason to shut down a thread or censor/edit posts. I see only one person being disrespectful and descending into name calling.

Totally agree. Some of the most interesting threads go that way & I'm always disappointed when they're closed.

rockinrobin
06-22-2008, 10:42 PM
This is a portion of the rules and regulations here at 3FC:

9. Respect toward fellow members is expected. You agree not to harass, flame, insult, taunt, or otherwise disrespect any member of this forum. In other words, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. This includes gossiping about another member. This requirement is meant to encourage the overall strength of our support system, and will benefit our community as a whole.

And I think we should all keep this in mind.

And then there's this:

Support Policy - Agree to Disagree

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diet plans are a lot like politics and religion – everyone thinks that theirs is the right way. Unlike most diet sites, 3FC supports all healthy weight loss plans so we have to ‘agree to disagree’ about which is the best plan. Everyone here has a unique body and life, with different needs. What works for one person may not work for another and no one here knows what is appropriate for another member.

‘Agreeing To Disagree’ means that we acknowledge that other 3FC members have differing views and opinions on weight loss that are equally valid as our own.

The following are not permissible under our Agree To Disagree policy:

- Debating weight loss methods and plans.

- Telling another member that his/her diet plan, exercise plan, and/or food choices are unhealthy, wrong, bad or won’t work unless your opinion is specifically requested.

If you wish to support another member, please answer questions in a factual, friendly manner to the best of your ability, but do not argue or critique other’s choices or plans unless specifically requested to do so. Please do not undermine or debate what other members have chosen to do. This is a support forum, not a forum for debate.

If you have a concern that a member is following a plan that may be harmful to his or her health, the correct thing to do is to PM the member privately. If you not wish to PM the member, please PM a moderator or administrator for assistance. Do not challenge the member publicly.

Posts that are argumentative or critical of other’s plans and choices will be edited or deleted.

However, please keep in mind that we do not encourage members to follow unhealthy diets. We reserve the right to remove threads and posts that promote extreme diet methods.

midwife
06-22-2008, 10:44 PM
And...be kind.

Support and kindness are beautiful things.

Thank you Robin.

Hugs to all my sister chicks. :hug:

HarpoChicoGroucho
06-22-2008, 10:48 PM
As a moderator, I should be an example of how members should behave and conduct themselves, and at times in the thread, I lost my cool and made remarks that I regret, and I apologize for that.

We should all take a deep breath and have a group hug. :grouphug:

junebug41
06-22-2008, 10:50 PM
As a moderator, I should be an example of how members should behave and conduct themselves, and at times in the thread, I lost my cool and made remarks that I regret, and I apologize for that.

We should all take a deep breath and have a group hug. :grouphug:

Ok, but be warned, folks- I just ate 3 pickle spears :o

HarpoChicoGroucho
06-22-2008, 10:52 PM
:lol: and I think Drina might have just had some oysters. :D

kaplods
06-22-2008, 10:53 PM
Ah, no kissing then!

SoulBliss
06-22-2008, 10:53 PM
Wait! I am thinking of a T-Bone!!!

:lol:

SoulBliss
06-22-2008, 10:54 PM
What? Harpo and Drina kissed and I missed it? Damn! I miss all the GOOD stuff. :lol:

Ija
06-22-2008, 10:57 PM
So that's what pickles taste like??!

:devil:

HarpoChicoGroucho
06-22-2008, 10:58 PM
So that's what pickles taste like??!

:devil:

Indeed! :lol:

JulieJ08
06-22-2008, 11:01 PM
Hami melon, anyone? I just had some for the first time. Not "ew" but not in love either. Maybe it will grow on me as I finish of the melon this week. Kinda like a combination of cantaloupe and honeydew.

HarpoChicoGroucho
06-22-2008, 11:03 PM
Hami melon, anyone? I just had some for the first time. Not "ew" but not in love either. Maybe it will grow on me as I finish of the melon this week. Kinda like a combination of cantaloupe and honeydew.

Hmm, never tried it, but I LOOOVE melon. I will definitely be looking for it the next time I grocery shop. :)

snapless
06-22-2008, 11:03 PM
Wow, I missed a food fight. :p <tongue-in-cheek here>

Seriously though...everyone is entitled to their opinions, and as long as we don't resort to snide comments and name calling I think it's a GOOD thing we have differing opinions.

Think how boring the world would be if everyone was...exactly...like...you.

onesullengurl
06-22-2008, 11:05 PM
I puree certain veggies too! I got my mom a magic bullet it is amazing! My parents puree onion, celery, and bell pepper and seperate it into freezer bags and throw it in everything we eat.

Have you tried cauliflower mashed 'potatoes'..It is absolutely delicious and better than real potatoes!

hey you know I read a way to make "rice" from cauliflower once ( your post reminded me of this lol ) it was a low carb forum I came across one time even though Ive never followed a low carb diet in any way shape or form ..but it sounded good ! you throw it in a blender untill its the size of rice.. and cover ( somewhat tightly) in a microwave bowl plop it in .. Dont add water!!!! it will make it gummy!.. it only takes about 5-6 mins in my microwave :)

As for me I can't stand beets cooked in any way and cooked oatmeal (the texture makes me gag even if it smells good lol).

lol I HATE when something smells really good then it tastes bleh NOTHING like what it smelled or looked like its so very disappointing

Smell is a huge factor in taste as well. If something smells incredibly unappetizing, there's a good chance you're not going to like it.

Smell does affect the way you taste things that is a fact. have you ever tryed plugging your nose and eating something or drinking something ? I swear when I would go to take a shot I would plug my nose LOL ( my hubby still rolls his eyes at me when I do it 10 years later ) it really does work for me ... as for the whole smell thing it really is mind over matter .. there is just some things the mind will not conquer for me that would be rotten potatoes ! :barf:

I already posted on this thread once but I wanted in on the group hug sorry! :carrot::grouphug:

kaplods
06-22-2008, 11:05 PM
What?! If everyone were like me, the world would be perfect! (for about 10 seconds).

SoulBliss
06-22-2008, 11:12 PM

Ija
06-22-2008, 11:13 PM
What?! If everyone were like me, the world would be perfect! (for about 10 seconds).

If everyone were like me the world would run out of oysters.

murphmitch
06-23-2008, 12:08 AM
Just don't get sneaky and try to feed me some canned peas!:nono:

walking2lose
06-23-2008, 12:33 AM
Lord, this was some thread to read at 12:36.

Glad everyone hugged and made up.

SoulBliss
06-23-2008, 12:46 AM
:carrot:

ZedAus
06-23-2008, 05:06 AM
Sorry, I've only just found this thread, but I was wondering (seriously) whether any of you had tried eating Durian. It just got me thinking, seeing as people were talking food and vomit. I've heard that Durian (can't tell from Googling whether it is from Thailand or Polynesia, but our Indonesian Language teacher brought some in a while back) smells like vomit, and I just couldn't even bring myself to SMELL it, let alone EAT it. Does anyone know whether it really does smell like vomit, and if so, what does it TASTE like?

Other than that, I have to say that I have learnt to love a LOT of veggies that I never liked before. My tastes have definitely changed since I 'simplified' them. I'm just not sure that Durian is on my list of things I want to try.

snapless
06-23-2008, 05:14 AM
lmao....

Excerpts from Wikipedia:

The edible flesh {of Durian} emits a distinctive odour, strong and penetrating even when the husk is intact. Regarded by some as fragrant, others as overpowering and offensive, the smell evokes reactions from deep appreciation to intense disgust. The odour has led to the fruit's banishment from certain hotels and public transportation in Southeast Asia.

Nattō (納豆, Nattō?) is a traditional Japanese food made from fermented soybeans, popular especially for breakfast. As a rich source of protein, nattō and the soybean paste miso formed a vital source of nutrition in feudal Japan. For some, nattō can be an acquired taste due to its powerful smell, strong flavor, and sticky consistency.

Would you like some Durian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian) with your Nattō (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natto)? ROFL.

aphil
06-23-2008, 08:03 AM
Just don't get sneaky and try to feed me some canned peas!:nono:

I gotta agree with you on this one...I grew up on canned peas and hated them...as an adult, I realized that I LOVED fresh and frozen (steamed) ones. :D

Pieinthesky
06-23-2008, 09:26 AM
Its beyond even my comprehension that people do not like vegatables! That pretty much disregards 50% of all food - you people are suffering - (http://www.hitflip.co.uk/music-cds/)think of ways of incorporating veggies into meals you do like . . .

yoyoma
06-23-2008, 09:37 AM
Zelma -- I had a durian bubble tea once on a vacation -- didn't notice any particular smell even though I knew durian was famous for it. The flavor was good, but not exceptional. In terms of fruit finds -- I *loved* the soursop juice I tried on another trip.

To bring it back to veggies a bit -- does anyone out there like bitter melon? It's cooked as a vegetable and lives up to its name. I've been served it and I will eat it, but not with any relish, so to speak.

murphmitch
06-23-2008, 09:41 AM
you people are suffering - think of ways of incorporating veggies into meals you do like . . .

I only suffer if you serve me canned peas! :fr:

nelie
06-23-2008, 09:47 AM
If you tried to feed me any canned vegetables, I'd throw them back at you. Really, canned veggies? Those are eww.

murphmitch
06-23-2008, 09:50 AM
I do love canned beans, & tomatoes,especially the spicy ones.
I recently started steaming veggies a lot. I ate half of a head of cauliflower last night. SOOO good.

Zeitgeist
06-23-2008, 10:02 AM
There is a scientific basis for why some people dislike vegetables.

Sensitive taste buds turn kids off veggies, says study
By Stephen Daniells

28-Jul-2006 - Kids who are overly sensitive to bitter tastes, caused by genetic variations, are more likely to eat less vegetables, says a study from the US.

http://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/news/ng.asp?id=69461-bitterness-vegetables-taste

And I'm another who can't stand canned veggies, esp peas and green beans. The smell of those canned veggies, as well as liver and tripe, make me physically ill.

KLK
06-23-2008, 10:27 AM
I can actually beat the ridiculousness of "I don't like vegetables; they're gross!"

My Mother: "I don't drink water; I don't like it."

WHAT THE H3LL DOES THAT MEAN??? She's not a living organism? She's not of this planet? She doesn't like or drink... WATER?

Operator265
06-23-2008, 10:41 AM
Damn!!! The things you miss out on when you work graves!!!:dizzy:

First for my self indulgent ego... My children have always been taste testers, b/c I've insisted. I think it all began when I made some dip. Velvetta, Campbell's Cheese Soup and Rotel. I handed it to my Ex(then fiancee) with a bag of chips and He said "OMG it looks like you puked in the bowl!!" I didn't appreciate the comment after going out of my way to make him something special so I said "Just try it, you big Dumba$$" HE LOVED IT!!!:love: Ever since then my family gets all excited and asks me to Pleeaasse make "puke in a bowl." It's the Official name now.

My girls will always try something before they b***h. If they don't like it, I don't make them eat it.:shrug: But, no one tries to disregard it before trying. Heck, they now eat stuff I don't like. And I take them to Japanese restaurants and let them get whatever they want, and even if it would roll my stomach (I'm not good with raw meat), I just sit there eating my own dinner, minding my own business. My youngest even asks for fruits and veggies when I ask what they want when I go to the store on grocery day.:D

I only refuse dangerous foods. NO ONE gets to eat blowfish near me!!!:nono: If someone could keel over and die b/c they restaurant owner was too cheap to hire a professional or the chef just had a fight with his wife before work and wasn't paying attention, NOBODY gets to eat it. I'm a 1st responder and my X is an EMT II, but it is a duty we try our best to avoid if possible.;)

Darkblue
06-23-2008, 12:13 PM
I absolutely loathe the smell of bell peppers. I walk across the aisle at the market to avoid them. The smell actually gives me an intense headache.

Oddly enough, I don't mind the taste of the raw peppers, and I like them when they are cooked. Go figure. It took me years to be able to get past the smell to bring myself to taste them, though.

I periodically retry the veggies I can't stand--rutabagas, cooked greens of any sort (love them raw), and Brussels sprouts. Maybe one of these days I'll figure out the secret of cooking them just right and actually like them.

rockinrobin
06-23-2008, 12:15 PM
If you tried to feed me any canned vegetables, I'd throw them back at you. Really, canned veggies? Those are eww.

Agreed, for the most part that is.

I use canned mushrooms on occasion. They'll do in a pinch as part of a veggie saute with egg white omlettes. I also keep canned tomatoes in the house. And I happen to make a great salad using White Shoepeg corn.

KLK
06-23-2008, 12:28 PM
I love well-cooked/roasted peppers (especially red and Italian) but I *DETEST* the taste/smell/texture/everything of raw or lightly cooked peppers. If it's still crunchy, I just cannot eat it. It makes me gag.

I absolutely loathe the smell of bell peppers. I walk across the aisle at the market to avoid them. The smell actually gives me an intense headache.

Oddly enough, I don't mind the taste of the raw peppers, and I like them when they are cooked. Go figure. It took me years to be able to get past the smell to bring myself to taste them, though.

I periodically retry the veggies I can't stand--rutabagas, cooked greens of any sort (love them raw), and Brussels sprouts. Maybe one of these days I'll figure out the secret of cooking them just right and actually like them.

walking2lose
06-23-2008, 12:41 PM
I eat a lot of canned beans - chick peas, great northerns, black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans. I do cook them from scratch occasionally (esp if I'm making soup), but they are a staple on my grocery list. I put them in salads several times a week.

I also buy the occasional can of peas, which I also love atop a salad (sorry to the canned pea haters). Yes, frozen are much better - or fresh are the best yet.

I even love brussel sprouts, especially the baby frozen kind, which I saute until they carmelize - yum.

I'm trying to think of a veggie I do not like, and I can't think of any... I bet dorian would be very unappealing to me, though!

JulieJ08
06-23-2008, 12:45 PM

When I was in colleges (ages and ages ago), I decided I would learn to like broccoli. I was shocked to discover it worked. Then I did the same with coffee, cantaloupe (became a FAVORITE) and even cheesecake (no idea why I had a block about it, but in retrospect maybe it wasn't so smart to learn to like that :o ). It was just a revelation to me that I could change my tastes so much. So now, I'm always working on learning to like something. Right now, it's fish.

SoulBliss
06-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Durian is one of the only foods I don't like. It is horribly stinky and tastes so bizarre. I can't think of many things I do not like amongst the plant-based foods, but durian is at the top of my list. :no:

nelie
06-23-2008, 01:02 PM
I do eat SOME canned foods. Canned tomatoes (not really a veggie), canned beans (again not really a veggie) and a few other things. I generally prefer frozen or fresh. I tried canned asparagus once (Costco got me) and it was disgusting. Of course real asparagus is amazingly good.

mandalinn82
06-23-2008, 01:26 PM
I end up having this conversation a LOT:

Someone: Let's get some sushi
Me: Oh, I really can't eat sushi, but I can find something else to order if we go somewhere that has a full menu (ie, not -just- sushi)
Someone: But sushi is great! Have you tried it??
Me: Yes, I've tried it. Several times. I really don't care for it.
Someone: Well, where have you had it? Sometimes the (reason sushi might not be good is usually inserted here). At (presumably better sushi restaurant) its not like that.
Me: No, that won't help.
Someone: Well you really need to try it!

At this point, I'm usually guilty of saying something that people would consider "rude" toward sushi - that it makes me gag. Because it does - literally. Sheets of seaweed make me physically gag. I cannot help it. I have, in fact, tried many times to get sushi. I've tried getting rolls where the rice is rolled on the outside of the seaweed. I always end up gagging (which, I assure you, is more offensive to my dinnermates than me refusing to "just try one bite"). Gag reflexes can't be helped! I can get nigiri, but I've got about a 3 piece limit before it makes my stomach hurt, so I can't make a meal of it.

Worst is when people start telling me that "it's just psychological". I don't deny that it might be. That doesn't prevent me from gagging, though, so its sort of beside the point.

Some people have issues with vegetables that no amount of different cooking technique will fix. An entire side of my partner's family won't eat asparagus because it makes their pee smell.

My personal motto is to not comment on what other people eat/order/say about their eating preferences, unless I happen to be cooking for them. If I am, I ask if they have any restrictions...and if they say something like "I don't like veggies", I make sure I make some extra of the non-veggie stuff so they can eat it, and put the veggies out anyway. Beyond that, I don't think its really any of my concern.

jillybean720
06-23-2008, 01:30 PM
Wow...and here I thought I was coming into a thread of people like me who don't like veggies!

I'm sure Robin and nelie will just glance over this because they've read it a million times before :p but I really don't like many veggies at all. Of course, I love corn and potatoes, but having recently been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, those are eaten quite infrequently. I've found I can tolerate lettuce in salads, spaghetti squash when cooked to practically mush, and steamed cauliflower and broccoli if they have some sort of sauce or cheese on them.

Oh, and I do like pickles :) But I have high blood pressure, so I have to watch my sodium, and sweet pickles are my favorite, but I have to watch my sugar now, too.

I do try different veggies, though, so I promise I'm not one of the people the original OP was complaining about. I remember I used to eat peas and carrots when I was younger, but now they literally make me gag. I find bell peppers to be completely offensive. I got a salad recently at a restaurant that did not list red peppers as an ingredient, but it had them in it when the salad arrived. I didn't notice since there was so much else going on in the salad until I took a bite and shuddered.

I'm hoping if I keep adding broccoli and cauliflower to my meals in many different ways that maybe my taste buds will eventually accept some new veggies as well. I keep trying--I like fresh salsa, tomato sauce, tomato soup, and ketchup, but biting a plain raw tomato slice or a cherry or grape tomato makes my skin crawl.

But at least I can say I've tried them. My veggie list is very short, but it's not by choice, nor is it by ignorance. I've boiled, steamed, microwaved, dipped, dressed, seasoned, roasted, baked, chopped, and mashed--and then thrown away--more servings of veggies than I can count on all my fingers and toes :dizzy:

If I were at dinner with someone (or anywhere, really, even on here) who said they ate lots of veggies, I wouldn't respond with, "eww!" Rather, I would sigh and long to do the same. Lots of (non-starchy) veggies sure helps in cutting calories and carbs.

I haven't tried eggplant. That will be next on my list.

junebug41
06-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Jill, I swear you were the first person I thought of when first saw this thread.

I was thinking, "Jill has tried every vegetable on earth in every possible concoction, variation, and style and she still doesn't like many vegetables- but certainly not for lack of trying!"

Some folks just can't dig it.

ETA: And regarding eggplant, I consider vegetables to be a passion of mine, but eggplant is something I've never been able to tolerate. You'll have to report back on that one. I think it would be kinda funny if you happened to like them!

mandalinn82
06-23-2008, 01:39 PM
I roast cubes of eggplant, then mix them with tomato sauce. You barely taste them but they give the sauce a lot of bulk and lots of fiber/deliciousness.

Lunabelle
06-23-2008, 01:42 PM
I love vegetables in soups, granted they are veggies i'd eat otherwise. I dont eat MANY veggies, but i've tried a few that I used to never consider. If theres something that I havent tried, if asked I just say I dont know because I havent tried it and leave it at that. lol

junebug41
06-23-2008, 01:46 PM
I roast cubes of eggplant, then mix them with tomato sauce. You barely taste them but they give the sauce a lot of bulk and lots of fiber/deliciousness.

I do that a lot with zucchini, which I always thought of as eggplant-like. However, I've only had it cooked by others, so maybe I need to cook it under "my terms".

rockinrobin
06-23-2008, 01:47 PM
Of my gosh, Jilly, I immediately thought of you as well the second I saw this thread. And many times in between. I know that you have bent over backwards to try and *like* veggies, but without much luck. I also know that you would not be one of the people saying "ewwww" to veggies or any other thing that some one was eating and that you didn't care for.

Eggplant is one veggie I don't like very much. Well scratch that. I do LOVE it. But only if it's dipped in eggs, breaded, then fried and then drenched in marinara sauce and mozzerella cheese.

nelie
06-23-2008, 01:49 PM
If you are going to try eggplant, I'd highly recommend japanese or chinese eggplant versus american eggplant. I really don't like the regular american eggplant you find in stores. I do love the long asian varieties (the small asian varieties like thai and indian aren't my favorite). I recommend grilling them or roasting them in the oven with thin, long slices.

junebug41
06-23-2008, 01:49 PM
Eggplant is one veggie I don't like very much. Well scratch that. I do LOVE it. But only if it's dipped in eggs, breaded, then fried and then drenched in marinara sauce and mozzerella cheese.

I could drench an old gym sock in batter, fry it, and dip in cheese and mozzarella and I would probably like it!

kaplods
06-23-2008, 01:52 PM
I will try just about anything. I've watched Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern and Anthony Bourdaine's "No Reservations," and would try most of the things they eat on the shows. I'm not so sure about the stinky tofu, the raw 14 day old pork, or durian.

I know Anthony loves durian, but compares it to eating custard (I think) in an outhouse - that pretty much turned me off of trying it then, but what clinched it was seeing Andrew Zimmern unable to gag it down (on two different shows) while he was able to take two bites of the gray-black fermented tofu.

In college, we read a study that rats that had been fed by their moms a very limited diet when babies, would not try anything unfamiliar when presented with choices as adolescents or adults. The would go several days without eating if nothing familiar was presented, and some would lose significant weight before trying a new food. Rats that had been fed a large variety of foods by their moms when they were babies, as adolescents and adults would eat not only the foods that were familiar, they would readily try unfamiliar foods.

In rats and humans a single bad experience with a food (getting physically ill shortly after eating) will create a life-long aversion that is difficult to unlearn. This effect is so strong that if you get food poisoning (even if it was a familiar food that was tainted) after trying a new food, it will be the new food, not the familiar one that will likely cause future aversion (even if you "know" differently).

Now people are not rats, and can, at least sometimes, overcome food aversions, but I think the physiological factor can't be dismissed. Picky eaters can sometimes become less picky, and indiscriminate eaters can also become less so, but very few leopards change their spots in this matter.

There might be genetic factors also, as I always have been an adventurous eater, while my family has not (I was adopted as an infant). Only my middle sister is at all adventurous, and before I went to college when she was 4, I would take her on "sistering" dates and take her out to eat (NEVER McDonald's). At 3, her favorite restaurant was a chinese restaurant. My youngest sister was too little to take "sistering" and she's pretty picky now as an adult.

My husband and I did something similar with one of our nephews (youngest sister's kids). We'd moved away before his brother was born, and there are distinct differences in their eating habits.

Food preferences are complicated. I just read a study recently that the more variety in a person's diet or even in their meal, the more difficult it seems to be for them to lose weight. I had never thought of adventurousness in eating as a possible handicap, but I can see that it could be. I don't know that I could restrict my choices too much and still be happy. Eating the same 20 or even 50 meals for decades sounds like torture to me.

I have to admit that when I LOVE something it can be hard to understand why someone else doesn't. I LOVE sushi, and not just the raw kind. I had a handroll recently with hot grilled eel in the center. It was marvelous. The eel had the texture and taste of a very nice flaky piece of broiled fish (which is what eel is). It had a slightly sweet soy sauce glaze and the rice was warmed by the fish and almost creamy. I knew these were flavors my husband would love, because he's the one that got me hooked on cooked fish, and he loves sweet soy. It did irritate me a little that I couldn't get my husband to try it, because he "hates" sushi.

Then again, I have an irrational fear of beer. Yep, it's actually a true phobia. I had an uncle who was an alcoholic. His favorite thing to do when he'd had too many was to torture me by spilling beer on me on purpose. Especially if I were dressed up nicely - because I would cry and change clothes (yeah, REALLY funny!) I can't stand the smell of beer. I can't even bring a glass of beer to my mouth or nose. The closest I can get to drinking a beer is a "malt beverage coolers." I actually start to panic when I see a glass of beer tip over, or even someone waving their hands around while they talk while a beer is in front of them - yep beer phobic.

I've done it again, haven't I? Started with one topic and meandered all over the place. Sorry! I'll just shut up now.

jillybean720
06-23-2008, 01:54 PM
haha, glad to see I have a reputation around here :p

Oh, and one other thing I've discovered that helps me squeeze in some veggies--broccoli slaw. It's good for instances where I want more veggies, but I can't stomach actual big chunks of broccoli. Like in a salad since I don't like raw broccoli florets (well, unless there is more dip on it than actual broccoli!).

Someone else mentioned pureeing veggies. I've found that pureeing frozen chopped spinach and adding to pasta sauce, while making the color somewhat unappealing, doesn't really change the flavor while adding some bulk.

Cubed eggplant with tomato sauce? Maybe I will try that. I wonder if it would grill well on the Foreman (we don't have a real grill).

jillybean720
06-23-2008, 01:58 PM
I could drench an old gym sock in batter, fry it, and dip in cheese and mozzarella and I would probably like it!
AMEN! :rofl:

aphil
06-23-2008, 01:59 PM
I eat a ton of veggies...but Mandalinn's thing about the sushi made me laugh out loud.

I have some food aversions...but they are all things that I have tried. I have an EXTREME aversion to milk. I prefer soymilk, and if I HAVE to have real milk, then it absolutely HAS to be skim. It cannot be 1%, 2%, or (gross) whole milk. I am not a vegetarian...but it simply grosses me out. I can eat yogurt, but it has to be fat free yogurt. I cannot stand the creaminess factor of the milk...

I also have an aversion to pickles and mustard. I have tried them as a child, and later as an adult. I have the gag reflex thing like Mandalinn has with the sushi. They have very strong scents...and I scent of them alone spurs my gag reflex. Since they taste very much like they smell, I can't get past it. I will never like them. I don't like the smell of vinegar...so I don't like coloring eggs in the spring, or using vinegar for cleaning, home remedies, etc.

Something about the smell of those things just does it to me...

valpal23
06-23-2008, 02:08 PM
I didnt know anybody else felt the same way about seaweed as I do! Seriously... everybody I ever 'confess' to that I hate the way seaweed tastes just cant believe it.

I dont have a gag reflex with it.. thankfully but I dont seek sushi rolls out.. unless I'm really desperate (on the other hand.... they're a GREAT appetite killer)

nelie
06-23-2008, 02:26 PM
I actually like seaweed, in small quantities. Sea vegetables are actually an awesome source of many vitamins and minerals. I never liked sushi with raw fish because the texture of raw meat grosses me out. I do eat veggie sushi rolls and I even bought a bunch of nori the other day with the idea of making sushi at home.

I have a gag reflex, as I mentioned before, to the smell of some cooked spinach. I also have a gag reflex for the texture of spaghetti noodles. Very strange but true.

kaplods
06-23-2008, 02:27 PM
I actually forgot about the nori when offering my hubby a bite of my eel roll. He hates the nori.

When we visited my parents a few months ago, I bought some nori "snacks." Just strips of flavored nori (teriyaki and hot and spicy). 1 calorie per strip.

I was eating them in front of the tv and my mom asked to try one. She not only spit it out, she WIPED HER TONGUE.

I felt bad, but couldn't stop laughing.

Hat Trick
06-23-2008, 02:43 PM
Holy cow, this thread certainly took on a life of its own for awhile there, didn't it? I thought McCain/Obama would be the big discussion of '08. Veggies: the debatable food. Who knew? lol

I saw that Bizarre foods shows where he ate (or rather nearly barfed) the durian. No way would I try it. I'd try lots of 'different' foods but some, just no way, no how. Some stuff -- just based on its smell or look or what it is -- I just wouldn't try. Wouldn't matter how good someone said it was, I'd respond 'ewwww' no doubt. Maybe its just how, where and what people are raised on that makes them more likely to try different foods than other folks. Individuality is great, isnt' it? :D

Hey jillybean -- I don't know what (few) veggies you do like but this might be something you'd try. My mom used to make this when we were kids. Keep in mind, my kids won't touch it because it has cabbage in it. :rolleyes:

This is all according to how much you want, all veggies are raw. Eyeball it and season according to taste.

Shredded carrots, shredded cabbage, finely diced celery. Mix together and mix in light mayo till you have the consistency you like. Season w/fresh ground pepper, salt and onion powder to taste. I guess it's a homemade cole slaw? Anyway I loved this as a kid so maybe this would be a thing you'd like too?

After reading through all these posts the only thing I'd like to add is -- I think the difference of opinions is fantastic. Seriously, how boring would it be if we all agreed on everything? Disagreeing is fine; name calling and insulting people because they have a different opinion isn't. Sometimes it isn't what you say, but rather how you say it that offends people. If you don't care if you offend people, fine. But don't whine about it when the shoe is on the other foot.

rockinrobin
06-23-2008, 02:45 PM

Good point!!! GOOD point.

As far as pureeing veggies, ya see, that wouldn't *accomplish* anything much for me. Well surely it would add nutrients to my foods and probably some bulk and therefore fullness, but other then that, not so much.

One of the main reasons I love and eat veggies so much is that I get to eat a TON of it (I LIKE volume) for minimal calories (while getting sooo much nutrition), thus allowing me to first lose the weight that I needed to and now to maintain it.

I tell you, I really feel for you non-loving veggie folks. You don't have it easy. I honestly don't know if I could have lost the weight and then maintained it, without them.

Nelie, I've got to look for those eggplants that you are talking about.

jtammy
06-23-2008, 03:00 PM
Good point!!! GOOD point.

I tell you, I really feel for you non-loving veggie folks. You don't have it easy. I honestly don't know if I could have lost the weight and then maintained it, without them.

Me too! I am not a picky eater, which has certainly worked in my favor when it came to losing weight and maintaining. There are very, very few foods that I really dislike (trying to think of something right now and honestly I can't - but I know there are some out there.)

I do think that there is a lot to be said for being willing to try new foods when you are trying to lose weight and be healthier. Most of us have had people ask how we lose weight and when we tell them how simple the formula is, their face shuts down and they don't want to hear it. For some people who say they don't like vegetables, I think this is another way of telling themselves, "Oh, that will never work for me". Many days I would still like to eat ice cream, pizza and chicken nuggets like before my weight loss, but my reality was that I had to start liking vegetables more than I did to lose the weight. (I'm not picky, so it wasn't so difficult for me to do.)

rockinrobin
06-23-2008, 03:41 PM
Me too! I am not a picky eater, which has certainly worked in my favor when it came to losing weight and maintaining. There are very, very few foods that I really dislike (trying to think of something right now and honestly I can't - but I know there are some out there.)

I do think that there is a lot to be said for being willing to try new foods when you are trying to lose weight and be healthier. Most of us have had people ask how we lose weight and when we tell them how simple the formula is, their face shuts down and they don't want to hear it. For some people who say they don't like vegetables, I think this is another way of telling themselves, "Oh, that will never work for me". Many days I would still like to eat ice cream, pizza and chicken nuggets like before my weight loss, but my reality was that I had to start liking vegetables more than I did to lose the weight. (I'm not picky, so it wasn't so difficult for me to do.)

Yes, I was lucky here too. I already had a favorable view of many veggies and I was more then willing to try new ones and different methods of cooking them. And like I said waaay back at the beginning of this thread, I knew that I would have to turn to veggiesas a *solution* to my weight/food issues. I just knew it.

Like you Tammy, although I really do love my veggies, I would surely rather be eating ice cream, pizza, fried chicken and the such, many days - but it's not an option. I can't eat those items - AND be that trim, fit and healthy.

As far as being picky, I wouldn't say that I'm terribly picky. But I will not under any circumstances eat foods that I don't like. One healthy food that I refuse, absolutely refuse to eat is - cottage cheese.

I'll rap this post up by saying that I am terribly grateful, beyond belief grateful, that I was able to learn to love veggies like I do. :smug:

Glory87
06-23-2008, 03:44 PM
Man, I missed all the good stuff :(

To recap:

1. I love pickles. To the pickle haters - do you hate both sour and sweet pickles? They taste so different, even the texture is slightly different.
2. Canned peas are revolting - mushy light green disgustingness. Canned beans, tomatoes, and corn are okay.
3. Love sushi.
4. I never understood the gagging thing until I actually heaved and threw up the sardines I tried to eat one day. Instant empathy. I get it.
5. Fennel is digusting.
6. Eggplant is good, a little bitter. You can leach the bitter out by slicing it and then sprinkling each side of each piece with salt and letting it sit for 10 minutes. Rinse. Another great way to work with eggplant (besides grilling) is to roast it and then scrape the insides and make baigan bharta (my favorite Indian dish) - http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/SPICY-ROASTED-EGGPLANT-WITH-TOMATOES-AND-CILANTRO-105514
7. Green peppers are revolting because I feel like I am breathing OUT green pepper, like I taste it in my nose, which makes NO SENSE but bugs the **** out of me. Cooked is slightly better than raw, but NOT MUCH. Orange, red and yellow are fine.
8. I've written before about how grateful I am that I LIKE healthy foods, particularly vegetables. It helped me so much changing my life and becoming healthy.

mandalinn82
06-23-2008, 03:49 PM
Robin - I'm with you on the cottage cheese. I just don't understand it. My brain can't comprehend it. And paired with something sweet, like pineapple? I don't get it!

But that's OK - as long as people like enough healthy foods that they can get by, stay satisfied, and manage their calories/food plan, I don't know that it makes a difference for weight loss. Vegetables helped ME to do all of those things, but if I hated them (for physical or purely psychological reasons), they might have actually made it HARDER on me for weight loss.

I mean, think about it. If you thought that you HAD to eat cottage cheese to lose weight, just HAD to, and you forced yourself to eat it, how long would you have lasted on your plan? I know if I had to eat cottage cheese, I'd be diving back into burgers in no time.

aphil
06-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Glory-I don't like any kind of pickles...and it mainly all comes down to the smell, and secondly the texture. I will eat cucumbers-especially raw, just not pickles. It was even worse when I was pregnant...if I smelled them, watch out. :barf:

Mandalinn and rockinrobin-I forgot to add the cottage cheese thing to my milk aversion list. It is also there. I can eat a TAD of it in lasagna or another dish...but to sit there and eat it, or mix it with protein powder or pineapple...no way. :lol:

rockinrobin
06-23-2008, 04:54 PM
I mean, think about it. If you thought that you HAD to eat cottage cheese to lose weight, just HAD to, and you forced yourself to eat it, how long would you have lasted on your plan? I know if I had to eat cottage cheese, I'd be diving back into burgers in no time.

100%!!! That's EXACTLY it. We could never have lost the weight (and continued to maintain) had we not found a plan, something that we could stick with. Which is why I feel I was blessed in my loving veggies. If cottage cheese was my *only* healthy option, and dear G-d, thank you, thank you, thank you, that it's not - I would no doubt still be 287 lbs, most likely more.

This reminds me of the slew of people who have said to me that I must have eaten loads of grapefruit to lose my weight. Nu-uh. Can't stand them. Haven't had a one.

WarMaiden
06-23-2008, 05:12 PM
I just finished reading In Defense of Food, by Michael Pollan (it's somewhat of a sequel to The Omnivore's Dilemma), and it contained some fascinating observations about human adaptability to various diets. Groups around the world have been studied and found to be extremely healthy, living on traditional diets--ranging from all veggies and fruits and no meats, to diets heavy in milk and animal blood, to diets based on whole grains and veggies and some meat, to the diet of Alaskan natives which contains copius quantities of animal meat and fat. The point he made was that people following these traditional diets were all very healthy--because the diets were all about whole foods. In contrast, the Standard American Diet relies largely on processed foods and empty calories--and is proven to cause a host of chronic conditions.

I think it suggests that people can be healthy and thin(ner), if they are following diets which are based on real food, rather than processed foodlike substances. So, it's not ALL about the veggies...though enjoying vegetables certainly does help one pursue a whole-foods diet.

jtammy
06-23-2008, 05:26 PM
Oh yeah......cottage cheese ......:tape: I knew there had to be foods that I didn't like, but I couldn't think of it earlier. That's definitely one. I dont hate it (i.e. I won't gag on it...) but I wouldn't choose to spend my calories on it by itself or with fruit. If I had to eat it to lose weight, I don't think I could have done it.

murphmitch
06-23-2008, 05:31 PM
I can actually beat the ridiculousness of "I don't like vegetables; they're gross!"

WHAT THE H3LL DOES THAT MEAN??? She's not a living organism? She's not of this planet? She doesn't like or drink... WATER?

I am a nurse & I had a patient tell me she was allergic to water! Oh, and she was also allergic to soap. Hmmmm.

Glory87
06-23-2008, 05:44 PM
My mom doesn't like water, she says it doesn't taste like anything. Well...duh. It tastes like water!

preetyladyserenity
06-23-2008, 06:44 PM

LOL! I am your mother's opposite. I rarely drink anything apart from water. Never liked soft drink or juices. I only drink one coffee (actually half-a-cup) and my alcohool never exceeds two glasses. My friends used to ask me why I didn't drink any juice or soda drinks and I would childishly reply "They taste funny!" :lol:

HarpoChicoGroucho
06-23-2008, 07:14 PM
Am I the only one who LOVES canned peas? I mean, I love them. I dump them in a bowl and dive in. Sometimes I can eat the whole can and sometimes I can't. But usually I can. :)

SoulBliss
06-23-2008, 07:19 PM
I've been known to eat them from the can, when at someone's house and there's nothing much to be found for a vegan. :o

murphmitch
06-23-2008, 07:20 PM
I know a lot of people who like them. I buy one can a week for my DH cuz he likes them. He can eat the whole can by himself, thank you. I don't even want to watch him.

snapless
06-23-2008, 07:32 PM
Wow, never knew so many people disliked cottage cheese. I'm right there with you.

My mother used to make baby-doodoo-in-a-bowl, otherwise known as the cottage cheese - lime jello concoction that was such a big party hit in the 70s...I wouldn't eat it...not because of what it looked like, but because it had cottage cheese in it.

I also don't like ricotta and have never been a lasagna fan because of it.

This doesn't mean I gag or anything...no offense to anyone but I've never really understood the 'gag reflex' for foods that don't have an extremely strong smell/taste (like Durian or Natto)...I just prefer to not eat them.

I will eat foods I don't like if there is no other choice (like invited to someone else's home for a meal).

Actually the only food I can think of that I will absolutely refuse (beyond the two named above) is beets. But that leaves me a lot of options. :)

Edit: And Harpo, I like canned (or frozen, or fresh) peas too. :)

meowee
06-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Nope . . . don't care for canned peas . . . much prefer the frozen ones. I do like canned niblets corn, though. The only thing I really like cottage cheese for is making those protein pancakes that are all over the place around here. Think they are okay because the lumps are gone.

Eves
06-23-2008, 09:26 PM
My mom doesn't like water, she says it doesn't taste like anything. Well...duh. It tastes like water!

I don't like the taste of water. It's weird, I know. I think it comes from growing up in a country where drinking tap water could give you dysentery. Purely psychological.

I always add a lemon, a packet of splenda, an orange, anything to it so that I don't have to taste it's weird metallic flavor. Once I tried adding salt, and that only made it worse. Unsweetened tea has been my friend so far.

As far as veggies go, I can't stand brussels sprouts and beets. Brussels sprouts because of the taste, and beets because of a rather embarrassing story which included me telling my family I had my period at 6 years old because my pee came out pink after eating them. I still get teased about that every time I go to visit relatives.

Otherwise, I've learned to like:

cottage cheese as a salad dressing (with hot sauce and pepper)
raw sugar snap peas
all kinds of squashes
egg plant. I make an awesome low fat fewer-calories-than-the-real-thing lasagna using egg plant, cottage cheese, and LOTS of spices.

And sign me up as a pickle lover. I once convinced a friend that there was a pickle tree until she came to me in the middle of recess and said in a nasty tone "A pickle is a cumumber. Pickled!"

Operator265
06-23-2008, 10:46 PM
So I was about 13-14 yr old sitting on my parents bed talking with them when I notice a CASE of dill pickles are in Papa's closet. He put them there to hide them from me.

Papa "she will eat a whole jar in a sitting."
Mom "So, most kids have a snack after school, she's in good shape and she rides her bike everywhere."
Papa "She also eats half a bag of oranges at a time."
Mom "Um, yeah, she's a teenager. And oranges are good for her.
Papa "But then we'll run out."
Mom "Isn't that why people go grocery shopping every week?"
Papa " But....."
Mom "FRANK!!! We make a good living, she's a teen, is healthy and active. She doesn't eat a lot of candy. Pickles and oranges are healthy..LET THE CHILD EAT THE DAMNED PICKLES!!! If we run out, we'll just buy more."

God, I loved that woman. And my Papa too.

Thanks for the memory!!!

rockinrobin
06-24-2008, 06:41 AM
Operator265, your cute pickle memory just reminded me of something from my early childhood. Amazing, all this pickle talk and just now it comes to my mind.

When I was a young child my grandfather had a nickname for me. It was twofold. One I ate a ton of pickles, loved them obviously and two, I was as skinny as a pickle. So yup, my Poppy (that's what we called him) often called me "Pickle".

I was so skinny in fact that I was teased about it and many kids picked up on the name and called me "Pickle" as well.

My Poppy though said it lovingly. He passed away when I was 11 and funny enough (or not so funny), that's exactly when I started piling on some pounds and that name quickly left me.

I buy these great teeny, tiny garlic pickles from a 99 cent store nearby my home. They're fabulous and come in handy when I want a little crunch and/or something to munch on.

aphil
06-24-2008, 07:24 AM
Robin-my grandmother (deceased) used to call me "greenbean" when I was a little girl. She was a country woman, and cooked all of the country food...and she would always have fresh green beans from the garden cooked with bacon or ham (as country women did) to flavor them. When I was a toddler, apparently I had a liking for them, and would eat piles of them. The name stuck...to this day, my grandfather, still living, will STILL occasionally call me that. :)

preetyladyserenity
06-24-2008, 08:26 AM
No way! My parents gave my a nickname too. I was called "Augoulou" (ok augo is an egg in Greek, so augoulou she-loves-eggs). I loved eggs as a child. I would eat one for breakfast (boiled hard), one for a snack in the afternoon (boiled again) and sometimes one for the evening. My dad gave me this name because every time he would ask me "what do you want in your sandwich I would say "Egg!" Then I became a teenager, gained acne, was not allowed eggs and gained weight. -_-o

jtammy
06-24-2008, 08:52 AM
Preetylady, why were you not allowed eggs as a teenager? I used to love scrambled egg sandwiches on white bread with mayonnaise. I had forgotten about that until you mentioned it.

rockinrobin
06-24-2008, 09:19 AM
Robin-my grandmother (deceased) used to call me "greenbean" when I was a little girl. She was a country woman, and cooked all of the country food...and she would always have fresh green beans from the garden cooked with bacon or ham (as country women did) to flavor them. When I was a toddler, apparently I had a liking for them, and would eat piles of them. The name stuck...to this day, my grandfather, still living, will STILL occasionally call me that. :)

No way! My parents gave my a nickname too. I was called "Augoulou" (ok augo is an egg in Greek, so augoulou she-loves-eggs). I loved eggs as a child. I would eat one for breakfast (boiled hard), one for a snack in the afternoon (boiled again) and sometimes one for the evening. My dad gave me this name because every time he would ask me "what do you want in your sandwich I would say "Egg!" Then I became a teenager, gained acne, was not allowed eggs and gained weight. -_-o

Funny, how many of us had food for nicknames!!! Just shows you what an impact the stuff has on our lives.

preetyladyserenity
06-24-2008, 10:45 AM
Preetylady, why were you not allowed eggs as a teenager? I used to love scrambled egg sandwiches on white bread with mayonnaise. I had forgotten about that until you mentioned it.

I know this is probably a myth but it is believed in my place that eating eggs causes acne to flare up, so when my acne started my parents decided we were not to have eggs in the house to avoid temptation and acne flares. My mum would go "AAGH YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE YOUR ACNE WORSE!" every time I was seen eating an egg.

JayEll
06-24-2008, 10:48 AM
Yeah, that's a myth. Too bad you were denied eggs then! But now you know that they are good food... in moderation! :yes:

Jay

CandyKisses0204
06-24-2008, 11:17 AM
I pretty much like all veggies BESIDES Lima Beans which i happen to think are the most foul thing on this earth. I cant even stomach eating one. As for not liking water.... Ummm i would die cause all i drink is water. Everyonce in a while i will have juice or milk. Since i am lactose i can no longer drink milk, soy tastes like dirt (ive tried ever brand under the sun) and my lactose free milk doesnt taste good by itself. BUT as far as botteled water goes Aquafina and Dasani both are gross. They taste like plastic.

jtammy
06-24-2008, 02:45 PM
I know this is probably a myth but it is believed in my place that eating eggs causes acne to flare up, so when my acne started my parents decided we were not to have eggs in the house to avoid temptation and acne flares. My mum would go "AAGH YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE YOUR ACNE WORSE!" every time I was seen eating an egg.

I see; when I was growing up it was chocolate and fried foods that caused acne. And it was hard to stay away from either of them. ;)

GirlyGirlSebas
06-24-2008, 07:11 PM
Okay...so, I'm one of those people who doesn't like vegetables.;) I was raised on country cookin'...you know, vegetables that are boiled to death with salt and some form of pork fat. But, I've noticed that most people who've lost a lot of weight do eat a lot of vegetables. So, for someone who's not really a cook (Hubby does the cooking) what cookbooks or sources do you recommend? I have no idea how to make them taste good.

nelie
06-24-2008, 07:31 PM
Rhonda,

There are a few places you could look.

The Worlds Healthiest foods website is awesome. www.whfoods.com has some good recipes.

Also a veggie venture blog is pretty good for exploring veggies. http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com/

For cookbooks,

I really like "Vegetarian cooking for everyone". There is a hardcore emphasis on veggies and details on how to cook almost any veggie.
http://www.amazon.com/Vegetarian-Cooking-Everyone-Deborah-Madison/dp/0767927478/

I also like the Cook's illustrated series of cookbooks.

The new best recipe:
http://www.amazon.com/New-Best-Recipe-All-New-Recipes/dp/0936184744/

The best light recipe:
http://www.amazon.com/Best-Light-Recipe/dp/0936184973/

And since you say you grew up on country cooking, I have a recommendation for a cookbook that emphasizes on healthier, plant based versions of country type cooking. Vegan Vittles:
http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Vittles-Down-Home-Cooking-Everyone/dp/1570672008/

rockinrobin
06-24-2008, 09:00 PM
Rhonda, I didn't grow up eating vegetables either. The only veggies we had was the occasional can of creamed corn and french fries. My mom barely even had fruit around.

Anyway, I've gotten some great recipes & ideas from this thread at our very own 100 lb club.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126111&highlight=101+ways+to+make+vegetables

EZMONEY
06-24-2008, 09:52 PM
WOW! Kind of bummed I missed all the excitement here being in Las Vegas...I'd tell you all about that, but you know what they say...

As for me I love vegetables! I like them fresh ~ frozen and canned! I will say though that...and not trying to get it going again....

beets make me wanna barf! yucky!!!

EZMONEY
06-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Oh and I would almost always pass any kind of fruit up to eat a vegetable! Seriously!!

blondebritbrat17
06-24-2008, 10:02 PM
Wow guess I missed the excitement on here as well earlier today. I definitely am one of those people that grew up not seeing vegetables or fruit in my parent's home. I actually had to BUY a cookbook that had PICTURES of the most common fruits and vegetables so that I could identify them at the store when I first started trying to eat healthier. I have now just recently given up on liking broccoli myself for example. I have tried it every way that I can find. It is hard to try new recipes for vegetables since I am on a very tight budget, hubby does not like veggies other than potatoes or corn and complains about me wasting food and money. So I go very slowly in trying foods due to that. I will say I love corn much more now if I get it fresh or frozen. I am finding I do not like canned so much and prefer frozen or fresh. I typically just have a big bowl of fresh spinach with romaine lettuce for a salad for my veggie requirements. I also discovered that if I chop things up into tiny pieces I can put it in meatloaf, chili, tomato sauce and etc and I do not notice which I am doing more and so far hubby hasn't noticed either!:D

Glory87
06-24-2008, 10:15 PM
Okay...so, I'm one of those people who doesn't like vegetables.;) I was raised on country cookin'...you know, vegetables that are boiled to death with salt and some form of pork fat. But, I've noticed that most people who've lost a lot of weight do eat a lot of vegetables. So, for someone who's not really a cook (Hubby does the cooking) what cookbooks or sources do you recommend? I have no idea how to make them taste good.

I've found that roasting really brings out a rich, wonderful taste in most vegetables.

I like to cube up the following:

Sweet potatoes (very small pieces so they cook the same speed as everything else)
Red onions (I cut them into wedges)
Carrots (I just slice baby carrots lengthwise)
Red pepper (big chunks)
Plum tomatoes (big chunks)
Zucchini (cubed)
Green beans
Beets (great but hugely messy, I mean raw beets, not canned, just in case)
A drained can of chickpeas is good too

I toss them with a little olive oil and garlic and then bake in a metal pan at 400 for around 45 minutes (shaking and stirring them a few times).

I don't add any seasoning, because I use them as the "base" for various things. I put them in wraps with a little cheese and salsa, I put them in omelets, I toss them with pesto and serve them on top of a little whole wheat couscous, or over brown rice with a little teriyaki.

murphmitch
06-24-2008, 10:45 PM
Glory87, that sounds wonderful. I am definitely going to try to roast some of those veggies!

kaplods
06-24-2008, 10:57 PM
I love roasting too. I toss large chunks (just barely still bite size) in a tiny amount of oil (like 1 to 2 tsp for a filled gallon size ziploc bag). Then I add some seasonings (hubby's favorite is ranch dressing mix, about 1 to 2 tbs - the dry powder like hidden valley ranch mix), and roast at 375 to 425 degrees.

Adobo seasoning (mexican) is also good, curry powder, whatever you like.

My absolute favorite this way is eggplant. The thin japanese eggplant (sort of resembles a pink, white, or purple banana), as I hate the large european ones. For me, they skins are too tough and the flesh is too bitter, even after leaching with salt.

crazyaboutgym
06-25-2008, 05:45 PM
vegetables are good depending on how you cook them