Old 06-21-2008, 06:32 PM   #1  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Default Chinese Chicken Eggdrop Soup

I made this today, ate some for lunch, am gonna save the rest. If you are watching your sodium, this probably isn't the best dish for you. For everyone else, make sure you drink plenty of fluids throughout the day after having this dish.

I made this by eyeballing everything and don't know exact quantities, so you can play around with it and make it your own. Here's a good estimate though.

2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, (if they're big, you should determine whether you want a very chunky meaty soup or not. A really chunky soup would be great for a main dinner course, and a lighter soup would great for lunch with a salad and cut up veggies.)

4-6 cups of water (whatever covers up the chicken)

1 small onion, chopped/diced

scallions, as much as you like, chopped (save some for garnish)

4 stalks celery, chopped

buillouion cubes, chicken flavored. They always say use one cube for one cup of water, but I use more. It gives it a richer flavor. But if it's too rich for you, increase the water or just use the 4 cubes for 4 cups. I however recommend more.

teaspoon or two of red hot sauce

pepper, seasoning like mrs dash (not necessary)

Soy sauce, to taste

Cut the chicken into small pieces. Add to the water in the pot, with the boillioun cubes. Add in the veggies and hot sauce. Cook over medium heat until the chicken is white and the veggies are tender.

Add a splash or two of soy sauce until the yellow color of the broth is brownish. (DO NOT ADD TOO MUCH SOY SAUCE, IT WILL BE WAY TOO SALTY. ADD JUST A BIT, THEN TASTE AND ADJUST.)

Taste, adjust seasonings as necessary. (as in more soy sauce and boilluion if necessary.) Add a sprinkling of pepper. Turn your stove back to High and get it back to boiling. While it's getting to boiling, take the egg, crack it in a bowl, and mix or whisk with a fork or whisk. When the soup is boiling, add the egg and stir until it's all white and looks like the egg drop soup you see at chinese buffets. Boil for about a minute, then turn off heat, let cool.

Garnish with more scallions if desired, and serve.

(You could add a tablespoon of rice wine vinegar during cooking, and drizzle the top of the soup with sesame oil if desired. Mm! I just didn't have either of those things.)
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote