General chatter - teen pregnancy pact?!?!

View Full Version : teen pregnancy pact?!?!

chickybird
06-20-2008, 01:47 AM
Has anyone else read about this? What on earth were those kids thinking? :?::?::?: What will happen to the guys who impregnated them?
Madness!

mxgirl737
06-20-2008, 01:58 AM
It's insanely crazy!!!

Unbelievable even.

GradPhase
06-20-2008, 02:01 AM
Is it really that insane considering pre-teen idol JamieLynn Spears just gave birth today? And risque pictures of Miley Cyrus posing in her underwear are circulating? What about Bratz dolls?

I don't think this is surprising at all. But I do think it's very, very sad and unfortunate...

chickybird
06-20-2008, 02:22 AM
ugh, bratz dolls are so nasty! Then again, I thought it was gross when "Teacher Barbie" was sold wearing a mini-skirt (I'm a teacher, lol)

Operator265
06-20-2008, 03:09 AM
OK, I just got done googling this and OMG!!! I have a teen and it terrifies me!!!

EZMONEY
06-20-2008, 09:14 AM
With the way our world is falling, I don't think this type of news :fr: shocks anyone these days...look at TV....garbage.

In today's world if 17 girls can get 17 boys to get them pregnant we "pretend" to be shocked....in reality we are not....

If 17 girls and 17 boys took a vow of celibacy until marriage wouldn't our world find it quite boring :yawn: news?...not gonna see a show like THAT on TV :no:

sad :(

nelie
06-20-2008, 10:53 AM
I've never really thought that the majority of teen pregnancies were accidental, at least not in the past 15-20 years. I am sure there are girls that get pregnant because they didn't know they could and there are probably many accidental pregnancy. Many I think are on deliberate or at least knew there was a risk. Mostly because I've heard from various girls things as they want someone to love them and they think a baby will. Or they love their boyfriend and want a baby to bond with him.

So a pact between teenage girls to get pregnant, doesn't sound surprising. I am sure it is something like "wouldn't it be cute if we all had babies? We could dress them alike, take them to the park together, etc?" Kind of like getting your nails done... but different.

preetyladyserenity
06-20-2008, 10:55 AM
I know it is a sad sarcasm but I believe that if 17 boys and girls were to take a vow of celibacy until marriage today, it would be on the news as a bizzare case.

nelie
06-20-2008, 11:02 AM
Actually, there are organizations out there with teens/preteens and celibacy pacts. I saw a group of them at the zoo one day. These aren't organizations created by teens but teens are in them. There are college organizations as well that I've heard about, formed by college students, with celibacy pacts.

Darkblue
06-20-2008, 11:06 AM
I'm not really surprised, just saddened. Some of the other girls interviewed said they wanted to have someone to love them. How sad it is that they don't think they have anyone in their family who loves them.

I wonder how much unprotected sex they had, what diseases might have been swapped around. There's no comment on the guys involved--I wonder how many of them are getting told they'll be working for the next 18 years to provide child support?

KLK
06-20-2008, 11:31 AM
Wow... just googled it... what frightening stupidity...

anewme625
06-20-2008, 11:36 AM
that is insane, just crazy

marbleflys
06-20-2008, 11:45 AM
it's a hideous action.....and what is going to happen to those children? I'm sure the high-school parents don't have the resources to provide the best lifestyle and health insurance...who is going to pay? Are the*fathers* going to support the babies? I bet not!

chickybird
06-20-2008, 12:57 PM
Marbleflys, it'll be people like you and me supporting those babies--once those very young moms figure out WIC, Medicaid, food stamps, etc. sad, but true.

junebug41
06-20-2008, 01:04 PM
The article that I read mentioned that one of the supposed fathers was a 24 year old homeless person. :eek:

While I'm sure several of the girls are lacking at home, I'm also inclined to think that there is a little "group mentality" in play here. Teenage girls are impressionable creatures, especially in packs.

KateB
06-20-2008, 01:12 PM
I heard the one got the 24 year old guy to impregnat her. The story I heard said the community kind of "Supports" teen pregnancy, they have child care at school and special teen mom programs. These 17 girls said they thought it would "B e fun, to raise their babies together".

I have a 14 year old daughter and this type of thing scares the bejeezus outta me. We talked the other night when it was on the news. Her first response was OMG..HOW Stupid Are They?? She is baby sitting full time this summer, she that is a real eye opener. She said she loves the kids and they are great, but come 5:00 she is ready for their mom to get home!! No way does she want a baby for a LONG Time...and she's gonna adopt her first one.

marbleflys
06-20-2008, 01:27 PM
I roll my eyes when I hear the news shows quote "Jamie-Lynn's going to be an AMAZING Mom"......while her own mother is selling pictures and promoting teen pregnancy.

what's going to happen to these girls? they will remain mothers and have cut their chances of higher education, jobs and social life....what kind of group mentality do they have? How will they juggle it all? Has anyone heard of an interview with their parents? Are the Massachusetts school system so enmassed (sp) with pregnant teens that they have daycare for HIGH SCHOOL????

the lack of plain old common sense just boggles the mind.....

Hat Trick
06-20-2008, 01:27 PM
Actually, there are organizations out there with teens/preteens and celibacy pacts. I saw a group of them at the zoo one day.

Were they wandering freely or in cages? :lol: (sorry, couldn't resist ;))

My daughter just graduated from HS -- there were several kids pregnant in her school. There is no 'wrongness' associated w/this in the kid's eyes -- these kids see the Jamie Lynn's of the world and think its the norm. Where are their parent's in all of this? No, parents cannot account for every second of their kid's time but are they not teaching their kid's anything? If they aren't teaching their kid's morals can't they at least teach them about safe sex? Then again, if the kids are getting pregnant to 'have someone to love them' they must not have much parenting going on to begin with, huh? A very sad state if you ask me. Too much 'anything goes' type attitude in this country.

GradPhase
06-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Also, we've got the Christina Aguileras, and the Nicole Ritchies who can go from 9 months pregnant to pre-baby weight in what seems like only weeks - so it's glamorized even more.

Not that it's BAD that they get back to pre-baby weight so fast, of course ---- just that they make it look flawless to impressionable teens. Babies are the new accessory, like small dogs in weird bags, and stick on jewels for cell phones. Since all the celebrities starting reproducing at the same time, magazines are now overloaded with most popular baby product or nursery decoration instead of the best hair products or this seasons shoe style.

For every action there's an equal and opposite reaction. Their screw ups are our idolizations.

Mongoose
06-20-2008, 01:39 PM
I'm 16 years old and one of my friends had a baby recently - still a pretty rare occurrance over here.. But this pact thing sounds literally insane - I don't think those girls are in their right mind! It sounds like some weird ritual.

Marathon Mom
06-20-2008, 01:50 PM
The media makes it appear that teen pregnancy is GLAMOROUS! What isn't happening is parents aren't telling their children/teens that becoming pregnant isn't a FASHION Statment.. it's not a FAD... (did you see in article how the girls were high fiving and getting excited about a baby shower?!?!) It's a child - a life that you're bringing into this world... Children don't go out of fashion or out of style.. they are forever..

I'm sorry I've heard of parents throwing baby showers for their unwed teen daughters and I think it's a disgrace.. it's a fact of life and teen pregnancy does happen - However it's nothing to applaud and celebrate...

What a mess..

JulieJ08
06-20-2008, 02:54 PM
I don't think teens have to be from bad homes to feel unloved. Most (maybe even all) teens subjected to any rules & parenting feel unloved.

bargoo
06-20-2008, 03:27 PM
This is a sad situation, certainly different than when I went to high school (back in the ice age) . High school girls who got pregnant were looked down upon. I also wonder who is going to pay for prenatal care, hospital bill. buy a crib, pampers, baby food, etc. I strongly suspect that welfare is in the future for these girls.

Hat Trick
06-20-2008, 05:18 PM
I also wonder who is going to pay . . . I strongly suspect that welfare is in the future for these girls.

Abosultely. And who pays for welfare? Ultimately, WE do. An ounce of prevention . . .

murphmitch
06-20-2008, 06:49 PM
Most (maybe even all) teens subjected to any rules & parenting feel unloved.

IMO it's the kids who have no rules who feel the most unloved. Loving parents discipline their kids out of love.

GradPhase
06-20-2008, 07:01 PM
I ABSOLUTELY agree with MurphMitch.

It's the families with parents too uninvolved to care about setting rules that end up in the most turmoil.

SoulBliss
06-20-2008, 07:03 PM
An ounce of prevention . . .

Or, in this case, 10 cc. :o

bargoo
06-20-2008, 07:42 PM
These girl who look up to Nicole Richie and Jamie Lynn Spears as role models are forgetting that Nicole and Jamie Lynn have no money problems , also the boyfriends are in the picture. I have heard that these pregnant high schoolers have become pregnant via the one night stand route.

EZMONEY
06-20-2008, 07:57 PM
IMO it's the kids who have no rules who feel the most unloved. Loving parents discipline their kids out of love.

Gee I dunno ANNE ;) Next Saturday was to be the big graduation party, for my nephew, (I have been his legal guardian for 7 years)...just like for my son ~ 4.0+ ~ daughter 4.0+ ~ step-daughter 4.0+ ....Knucklehead nephew....probably smarter than any of them....got a "solid" 1.8....with low marks for conduct and participation. Uncle Gary does not...repeat DOES NOT give parties for 1.8 GPA's!

It is our family "once a month get together for dinner night" so everyone will still be here...but no party focused on him!

Now then, he has joined the NAVY...will be heading out in Sept. He does get a "party" for that!

ANYWAY...he HATES ME right now....poor baby....I feel so bad ;):D

murphmitch
06-20-2008, 08:07 PM
He might "hate" you right now, but I'm sure he knows exactly why you're skipping the party. He has to know he is loved.

JulieJ08
06-20-2008, 08:14 PM

I never said otherwise. I was speaking especially about parents who discipline their kids out of love. Kids will still scream "I hate you." They will still feel no one understands. Some may even think a baby will make it all better. Even well-parented kids go way off course sometimes.

But given the situation with so many girls involved, you do have to wonder what's going on at home, and in the community.

EZMONEY
06-20-2008, 09:36 PM
He might "hate" you right now, but I'm sure he knows exactly why you're skipping the party. He has to know he is loved.

Oh sure he does ANNE...he doesn't hate me really...never really said that...he is just P.O.'d because he is embarrassed...told all his friends about the big party we have for the kids...EVEN though I told him time and time again that the parties are to celebrate effort (not GRADES)...no effort = no party...EFFORT = PAR-TAY!! :carrot:...trust me...he knew it was coming...denial...he knows...he scored near top of his NAVY testing...smart but lazy.

I think his biggest "concern" was that he thought would be punished...on restriction, like the past for poor grades...I told him when he started this year he was on his own...sink or swim all by himelf...always accusing me of being too hard on him...so this year I stayed out of everything so he could show me what he could do on his own...1.8....sad...sad....no punishment...no restriction.

There comes a time when you have pretty much done all you can! I am there with knucklehead...at least for now ;)

chickybird
06-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Why has no one explained the ugly part of pregnancy and babies to these girls? Nausea, vomiting, hemorrhoids, back pain, stretch marks, weight gain, mood swings, all night feedings, baby spit up down your bra, baby poo under your fingernails, non-stop crying, teething, fevers, etc?!?!
Eeesh. I love kids, but I'm waiting to have my first one. I'm 27 and I still feel that's too young, lol!

RMatS
06-20-2008, 11:36 PM
I'm sure many have explained the ugly parts of pregnancy to these girls, but the nature of teens is to believe you are 'ten feet tall and bulletproof.' If one woman out of all the billions has had a pregnancy with no stretch marks, and back to a flat belly in a week, they believe they will do it, too, because they're smarter than the rest of us.

Also, TV puts this stupid image out there -- ever notice on TV how the new mother leaves the hospital with the baby in her pre-pregnancy clothes? Kids think that's how it goes. SITCOMs need to show new moms leaving the hospital all puffy, still looking pregnant, with a big blood spot on her nasty sweatpants because you have to change the pad every 30 minutes, and bags under her eyes. Still might not help with teens, though. They believe they can be like Nicole Ritchie. And they'll never want for money. ANd their babies will all be like having a little doll, never colicky, sleeping through the night right away...

SoulBliss
06-21-2008, 12:20 AM
I'm sure many have explained the ugly parts of pregnancy to these girls, but the nature of teens is to believe you are 'ten feet tall and bulletproof.' Right, and besides, if grown women decide to continually become pregnant (and men to randomly impregnate without thinking things through) despite lacking the resources, skills and sense to parent well, how can we truly be shocked that a child/teen would do it too?

ANOther
06-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Why has no one explained the ugly part of pregnancy and babies to these girls? Nausea, vomiting, hemorrhoids, back pain, stretch marks, weight gain, mood swings, all night feedings, baby spit up down your bra, baby poo under your fingernails, non-stop crying, teething, fevers, etc?!?!
Eeesh. I love kids, but I'm waiting to have my first one. I'm 27 and I still feel that's too young, lol!

I see there's supposed to be this reality show this summer called Baby Borrowers, sounds like teen couples are given a baby to sit and a house to run and see how long it takes before they climb the wall. Should be worth watching

StillTryin
06-21-2008, 12:43 PM
I see there's supposed to be this reality show this summer called Baby Borrowers, sounds like teen couples are given a baby to sit and a house to run and see how long it takes before they climb the wall. Should be worth watching

I can not wait until this comes on! I just about freaked when my friend sent me the link to this story! HOW sad that these girls had to do something that will effect the rest of their lives and the lives of others (the dads and babies) to "feel loved".

Reality will smack them in the face and they will regret this decision all too soon I am afraid!!!

preetyladyserenity
06-21-2008, 12:52 PM
Reality will smack them in the face and they will regret this decision all too soon I am afraid!!!

The thing is just because those teenagers were idiotic enough, a baby is to pay the price. Another human being. Here I am being 100% honest. I do want children one day. Even if there is a possibility of me not being able to get pregnant due to POCs I will adopt. This said, I have never, ever thought of having a child without a job and a mean to give it the necessary comforts interdependently. Because having a child is a major responsibility. And those teenagers will have a child just because they thing it's an accessory or something? This scares me. A lot! :fr:

Hat Trick
06-21-2008, 04:04 PM

I give 'em 48 hours max b/4 they're whining and crying for someone to take the babies and responsibilities away.

Because having a child is a major responsibility. And those teenagers will have a child just because they thing it's an accessory or something?

I get the impression that these kids seem to think it's like having a dog to dress up. All cutsie and goo-goo gaa-gaa. The novelty WILL wear off though and then where will they be? They are digging themselves into a very, very deep hole which will be extremely hard (but NOT impossible) to dig themselves out of. Sounds to me like these particular kid's parents do not give a crap about them; perhaps they were teenage parents themselves and this is the lesson they've passed on? All I know is YOU and I are footing the bill for these leeches and frankly, I'm sick to death of paying for everyone else.

Shopaholic1204
06-21-2008, 10:00 PM
I think its really stupid to blame celebs. Celeb's make bad choices all the time, they're sooo not perfect at all. Why would someone wanna follow their examples?? If kids had any sense, then they'd know better than to do that.

I'm not at all surpised by all those girls getting pregnant. It's their life, and if they all wanna be mommies, then let them. Girls in my high school got pregnant all the time..so it's really not that shocking. To be honest..I'm rather jealous. I'd give anything to have a baby. We've been trying for 5 years, and nothing has happened. I was 17 when we first started trying. But then again..I knew I was going to marry my dh.

nelie
06-21-2008, 10:35 PM
I'm not at all surpised by all those girls getting pregnant. It's their life, and if they all wanna be mommies, then let them. Girls in my high school got pregnant all the time..so it's really not that shocking. To be honest..I'm rather jealous. I'd give anything to have a baby. We've been trying for 5 years, and nothing has happened. I was 17 when we first started trying. But then again..I knew I was going to marry my dh.

Personally, I think when you are under 16 (most of these girls are according to the articles), your life isn't completely your own. You still live with your parents and your parents support you. Also, it is not just their lives but the lives of the unborn child that they are having because they think it'll be 'cute' to be a mommy. I think when you bring a child into the world, you need to think of them more than you think of yourself.

bfvgirlplayer
06-21-2008, 10:43 PM
I heard about this on Entertainment tonight and they tried to blame the stupidity of these teenage girls on Juno, Knocked Up, and Jamie Lynn Spears. They think that these things made pregnancy seem "Glamorous" but I refuse to believe that. All these girls wanted was attention, and they got it. Congrats on ruining your lives

Sweet Sissy
06-21-2008, 11:11 PM
A friend of mine in high school accidently got his girlfriend pregnant, quit conventional high school to work full time and completed his GED before the rest of his class, and is now the proud and happy single-father of a 7-year-old daughter.

The point? He was a stand-up guy. Where are the fathers of these babies?

murphmitch
06-21-2008, 11:16 PM
I read that one of them is a 24 y.o. homeless guy. The rest are apparently high school classmates. I also read that because of the age of some of these girls, they may press charges of statutory rape against some of the young men.

Operator265
06-22-2008, 11:40 AM
I also read that because of the age of some of these girls, they may press charges of statutory rape against some of the young men.

These girls went in with a "plan" and should not be held blameless either. Men are dumb when it comes to getting laid, and boys are completely stupid. So just who got "raped".

But, let's not get on our high horses and immediately blame the parents. I love my DDs and anyone who wants to question the choices I've HAD to make is welcome to show up here anytime to tell me what a screw up mother I am, but be prepared for an a$$whopping. I HAVE to work and I have to make a good income to support them.

I'm going thru **** right now trying to decide whether or not to give up one of the best paying jobs in the area in order to be home at the right times for my youngest DD(PS that's Dear not Damned Daughter). She isn't dealing with my shift work as well as her older Sis did. But then again, I'm not sure sometimes if I like the hardness from the older one is what I like to hear either. She understands reality, but it still bothers me.

From what I'm hearing with the reports of the pact is that the area they live in is suffering strong economic struggles. Everyone here has had to have had their lives turned upside down at some point. If not, then you haven't truly reached adulthood.

Parents make tough choices everyday. If you haven't had to, then count your blessings, cause you've had more than your fair share. Sometimes feeding them has to come before hugging them.

I pray 3 times a day for my girls. I'm terrified that tomorrow they may somehow become a national headline. Please everyone, understand that I am doing my best and that's all that I can do.

And I love both of them as much as anyone has ever loved anyone!!!! I would, and have been in a situation where it was my life or my oldest, I didn't take anytime to decide it would be my life.

KrazyKatie
06-23-2008, 06:12 AM
Good grief... :dizzy:

ANOther
06-23-2008, 04:43 PM
This latest article in the New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-Pregnancy-Pact.html
quotes the mayor of Gloucester as saying there isn't any evidence that these girls made a pact to all GET pregnant: the article refers rather to a possibility that these girls WERE all pregnant and simply formed a de facto support group. I reckon this needs to be looked into further before any conclusions are jumped to

SoulBliss
06-23-2008, 04:54 PM
It's a hot mess any way you look at it. :(