Weight Loss Support - The Straw that Broke the Camel's Back

ars
06-19-2008, 10:22 PM
What made you decide to lose weight?

For me, I got extremely frustrated one evening when getting ready for a party. I kept trying on outfit, after outfit, after outfit, and I was happy with nothing. I suddenly came to the realization (and this is going to sound ridiculous, because it is) that I looked fat in everything because I am fat. No clothing item I owned was going to change that fact!

I'd dieted on and off before that day, but never with the mindset I have now. It was like I saw myself for the first time that day and decided I didn't want to be obese anymore.

I'm curious to see all of the reasons we are here to lose weight!

mandalinn82
06-19-2008, 10:33 PM
Trying on a wedding dress for the first time. And then seeing the photos.

THE Heather
06-19-2008, 10:34 PM
Going to Six Flags and getting on a ride, only to find that I didn't fit.

I don't think I cried so much in my life as I did that day.

CountingDown
06-19-2008, 10:40 PM
Ok, it wasn't that I hated seeing myself in pictures, it wasn't that I could no longer keep up with the family, it wasn't that I found myself leaning on the sink to do dishes, it wasn't even when I dropped something on the floor in front of my boss and I was too embarassed to bend over to pick it up, knowing that I would have to grab the wall for support - all of those were straws - but the final straw that broke the camel's back was when I looked at my wrist - and saw this thin little wrist with a big blob of fat all around it. It looked like a balloon that someone had blown up. It was the "duh" moment - you really ARE fat. It isn't about genetics - it isn't about being over 50 years old - it is about being so fat that all of those other things are affecting the QUALITY of your life. Suck it up - change your lifestyle so that you will HAVE a LIFE and ENJOY that LIFE.

UPDATE - just last week I looked at that wrist - the fat balloon is finally gone :D
And I am fit, and enjoying life the way a vibrant, sexy 50+ woman should :D

snapless
06-19-2008, 10:40 PM
One morning during April, my husband looked at me right before he left for work and said, "Since I'm having to work so much, you think you could take <our daughter> to swimming lessons this year?" I said okay. He left.

Then I started thinking about it. And I realized...I didn't even own a swimsuit. And then I thought about shopping for a swimsuit. And then I thought about actually wearing said fictional swimsuit in public! I broke down and cried.

I finally came to terms with my own BS and realized - the fat and flab I'd gained over the last 7 years was NOT going to go away with me occasionally exercising, eating junk, and sitting in front of my computer all day. I had to actually get out there and DO stuff on a regular basis. I had to modify my eating habits, and not on a 'I can do this for a week' idea but 'I'm making a lifetime change here.'

So that's what I've done. I'm low carb, and I exercise - barring injury or illness (and I don't mean the 'oh I'm too tired today' illness) 6 days a week.

21 lbs. lost at last weigh in, will weigh in again in 2 days.

theuppitywoman
06-19-2008, 10:49 PM
Like most people, it's really an accumulation of things:

-In the family wedding photos, I'm progressively fatter in every one.
-I love clothes & have boxes full from size 8(Australian)to size 20.
-I no longer even think of dancing, even in private.
-Shopping for clothes is a nightmare.

But what really clinched it is that I no longer feel sexy-ugh!

mescelestus
06-19-2008, 11:05 PM
i have had many occasion where something happened that made me want to lose weight...the two final straws were: going on a hike with two people who were older than me (one was at least twice my age) and way not being able to keep up! the other was a very close cousin of mine (who weighs 70lbs more than i) decided to get wls, and i didn't want to be left behind in the realm of fattness!

Lori Bell
06-19-2008, 11:12 PM
My son begged me to be a room mother for his 3rd grade class field trip to the circus. I told him I couldn't. I was deathly afraid that the other kids would tease him about his Majorly Fat Mother. I was also terrified I would not fit in the seats at the auditorium...if I could even make it up the flight of stairs to be seated. He was so sad. His little face just broke my heart.

I've been a stay at home mom for 10 years, (work part-time from my home office). My job is being a mother, and my weight has got in the way of fulfilling my job duties. :(

JulieJ08
06-19-2008, 11:16 PM
Finding out my Dad has diabetes now too, not just my mom (plus two sisters had gestational diabetes) - too scary.

djay
06-19-2008, 11:25 PM
Canceled my trip to see my new great nephew and go to my other nieces' wedding because I was to embarassed for my family to see how fat I am.

Starrynight
06-19-2008, 11:42 PM
Well I had tried to lose weight but I always failed.. then my mom told me about a program a few people at her work place did where they lost weight and kept it off.. (This was my freshman year in high school).
I didn't bother checking it out, I was so depressed, I thought what was the point?
Then that summer, when I was around skateboarding (lol, my skating/goth phase).. a bunch of kids called me fat. I also had come back from Chicago and I saw pictures of me.. I realized how big I really was and then gave it a shot during sophomore year. It was a rocky start, because I had trouble committing to the diet.. then finally, enough was enough. I realized that I would be going to college soon and I didn't want to be in college at the weight I was at. So finally, senior year, I did the program, lost a lot of weight, but ended up not going back to the program for the transition period (which is the most important part to keep from gaining it back) and well I gained a lot back.
In college, I tried, but with the meals there, it wasn't working. So I did manage to maintain some during the time but ultimately, I gained a lot back during the last semester but I planned on doing it over the summer.
So here I am, committed as ever to this program.. Since I lost it before, I know I can do it, and I'm about 10 lbs away from where I was last time, so I'm just trying to lose the rest!
The fatigue, the depression, the clothes not fitting, seeing other girls my age being so thin, and realizing I didn't want to be at that weight during the "best" years of my life.. well it was all a wake up call.. not to mention the diabetes that runs in my family.

Heather
06-19-2008, 11:46 PM
I fell down the stairs and was in severe pain for a while having injured my coccyx. Although I didn't blame my weight at the time, I realized that the pain and lack of mobility was in my direct future if I didn't do something.

Rocker Chick
06-20-2008, 12:20 AM
I was in total denial about my weight ever since I'd gained it. I thought all the pictures were just "bad" pictures and the size of clothes was "just part of getting older/having kids/being married". I bought a really good scale back in 2004 and when I stepped on it and it registered 250 I could not believe it. I must've gotten on and off of it like 20 times and just stood there in amazement. So I started losing weight, had 2 kids in the midst of it--both pregnancies with gestational diabetes and thought--no way am I going to get diabetes --- I CAN DO SOMETHING to prevent it!

It's been a long hard road, with alot of struggles, but I do plan to reach my goal one day!

chickybird
06-20-2008, 12:34 AM
I saw a picture of myself with my girlfriends and I looked disgusting. Not just fat, but gross. I was super skinny in high school and it was shocking to me to see the difference in the pictures.

Glory87
06-20-2008, 01:32 AM
Three things happened:

1. My loose fit size 18 Eddie Bauer jeans (which hadn't been "loose" for ages) became so tight that I drove home from work every night with the top button unbuttoned. I was completely demoralized by the thought of buying size 20 jeans. I had been wearing the same pair of 18 jeans for years (they were my only pair of jeans), I hadn't bought any other 18s because I didn't think I would wear them much longer, they were only supposed to be temporary utnil I got back to a smaller size. Now they were tight! and I needed bigger jeans! It was really traumatizing.

2. I hadn't seen my mom in person in at least 2 years. She's a true, naturally slender woman (5'4" barely 110 lbs my entire life). She wanted me to come visit for Christmas and I was horrified by the thought of my mom seeing me at 200 lbs, she had never seen me so heavy. I was dreading, actually dreading a Christmas visit to see my mom whom I love very much. It was tearing me up.

3. I went to the movies - Dawn of the Dead to be exact. I went to the bathroom, sat on the toilet and CUT the outside of my left thigh on a sharp-edged metal trash receptacle. If I'd been a "normal" sized person, my thighs would have fit just fine, but because I was heavy, I didn't fit. All of a sudden, all I could think of was seatbelt extenders on airlines and a lifetime of being too big to do normal things. I sat there, bled and cried, just bawled like a baby.

So, all of those things were churning in me. I was browsing in B&N, I looooved reading weight loss/diet books. I picked up a book by Dr. Stephen Pratt - Superfoods Rx: 14 Foods that Will Change Your Life and it was like I grabbed an electric fence. After 20 years of dieting, where I went from a slightly slightly overweight 140 lb high school sophomore to a 200 lb 35 year old depressed, tired, lethargic woman, all of a sudden I GOT IT.

Instead of dieting, losing weight and then stopping (and regaining weight), I would change how I ate forever and be slim forever.

Nearly 4 years later...here I am. 130 lbs, size 6, gorgeous legs, gorgeous arms (which I would never have dreamed possible), beautiful cheekbones, I lost 10 inches off my waist, I went from a 42DD to a 34D. I have changed my life, I make good food choices 95% of the time. I don't eat fast food, I gave up soda...and I am happy, I LIKE ME. Me and the mirror - we're PALS. Pictures? Love em, can't get enough. I live to shop. Forget one pair of ratty old jeans, I have a closet of adorable clothes and getting dressed every morning is a pleasure.

From the first moment I thought to do this, I didn't say "I'll start Monday, I'll start in January" I started that second, I never once truely doubted I would lose the weight and keep it off.

AJ113
06-20-2008, 08:37 AM
I was lying in bed one night when I realized there was something beside me. Turned out it was my gut. The penny dropped, and I embarked on the long journey......

yoyomadness
06-20-2008, 09:01 AM
A tiny, marathon-running, boot-camp-attending friend keeps asking me on vacations with her. I've seen her other vacation photos -- they involve tiny white bikinis, zip lines over Costa Rican canyons, hiking up mountains, etc.

I really wanted to go but I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up with her -- and I sure didn't want to see any vacation photos with me in a muu muu and her in a tiny white bikini!

I realized that my weight was destroying my life. Did I want to spend the next few decades watching TV, with the only man in my life the delivery boy from the sub shop? No!

So I got back into making healthy choices and told my beautiful fit friend that I'll go scuba diving with her this coming Christmas.

As of today, I've lost 10% of my total starting weight. Yay!

Matilda08
06-20-2008, 09:09 AM
For me it was seeing pictures of myself! I just couldnt stand how I looked because of my weight. As many of you know pictures show it all. I hadnt really took pics for years until about 8 or 9 months ago because of my weight. Now when I take pictures I see a difference and I love it and that is what keeps me motivated to keep going. I also feel that this time is the time that I am going to accomplish my goal because I have never been this into losing weight.

chick_in_the_hat
06-20-2008, 09:51 AM
For me it was when my doctor said she didn't want to perform a tubal ligation on me because I was too fat. It was the first time I realized my weight was getting in the way of something I wantd to do. What the heck took so long I'll never know. :p

marbleflys
06-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Awful pictures, where I could see how full my face got and how BIG I was....I actually cried. (at this time I was 203#).

I've gained weight back the last 2 years and am fighting to put everything back in place, despite age and menopause! I had forgotten how much I loved going to the gym...now I'm back for good!

Hat Trick
06-20-2008, 10:05 AM
No one big 'ah-ha' moment for me. I just got sick and tired of losing, gaining, losing, gaining. Bleh! Finding out that my BMI put me into the 'obese' range vs. just the 'overweight' range DID push me but just being tired of being fat was the real kicker.

In a nutshell this sentence is now my mindset:

Instead of dieting, losing weight and then stopping (and regaining weight), I would change how I ate forever and be slim forever.

Why this time around I get it and not before? Who knows! Just glad I finally, finally, finally got it through my bonehead. Glory, thanks for these words; it truly doesn't get any simpler than this. :)

Ija
06-20-2008, 10:51 AM
I started getting heart palpitations while lying in bed (in my 20s!) and couldn't fit on the rides at Cedar Point. I had stopped really living my life, but I didn't think I could really change anything (or didn't know how) until I saw a 20/20 special about David Smith, a young guy from Arizona who once weighed 630 pounds and lost over 400 after a lifetime of morbid obesity. I figured if he could do it, so could I!

Darkblue
06-20-2008, 10:58 AM
My daughter told me one of her classmates was teasing her about her fat mother.

I couldn't ski with my family because I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without gasping.

I never allow photos of myself because I hate the way I look.

Because my arthritis was getting worse.

Because I stepped on a scale one morning and realized I weighed twenty pounds more than my 6'2" husband.

MileHighMama
06-20-2008, 11:22 AM
For me the final straw was seeing an old friend who had lost a lot of weight and kept it off. She looked fabulous and I was bigger than ever, after a lifetime of yo-yo dieting. I hated clothes shopping. I was determined not to be a size 16 or 18, and had to shop forever to find 14s that would fit me. I hated going places because I hated how I looked and never had anything cute to wear. Also, my sister-in-law found out she was pre-diabetic and I could see the same thing happening to me. She had lost 30 pounds and I figured if she could do it, I could do it. She has since gained back the weight and then some but I'm still going strong.

Pam

KLK
06-20-2008, 11:22 AM
Three things:

1. It was December 2003 was 264lbs and I would supposed to go to Italy for 5 months beginning August 2004. I did NOT want to be the 264lb American and I knew that no matter how much fun I was having or how beautiful everything is there, I would ONLY and ALWAYS feel like the big, fat 264lb American...

2. I went to buy clothes at Lane Bryant one day in, I think, November 2003 and - OH MY GOD - I tried on a size 24 blouse and... IT DIDN'T FIT. I was approaching a size 26/28. To me, THAT was my scary-size... one more size and I couldn't shop at Lane Bryant anymore. THEN what would I do?

3. My (at the time, size 10-12-ish) friend and I bought matching long skirts (one size fits all, and it DID fit me) at this street fair downtown. We both LOVED the skirt - it was so cool looking. She looked *GREAT* in it. *I* looked like a fat gypsy. I stared at that skirt, hanging on the hanger in my closet, cursing myself for being so fat.

KateB
06-20-2008, 11:46 AM
I have been up and down so many times. But it had been over 2 years since I really cared at all about what I ate...I had given up. My skinny husband had no understanding of how difficult it is to loose weight.

The local radio station was having a contest...a Biggest Loser type of thing. called "The Fit Club", they picked 4 contestants, I had to write an essay of 100 words or less why I wanted to join The Fit Club. The prize was a $500 mall gift card. I wrote the essay...The hardest part was keeping it under 100 words.

On January 6, my father in law passed away. On January 7, I was rummaging through my closet for funeral clothes that fit and the phone rang...it was the dj from the radio station...I had been choosen as a contestant. I got a 6 month gym membership, and nutritional counseling, and the support of my dj buddy.

I was exstatic, I was going to make the most of this shot. But first the doctors appointment to get medical approval...I was mortified I weighed 300.2 pounds. i knew this was nearly literally do or die!!! Then I had a dicussion with hubby. I said he had two choices he could support me with words of encouragement and kind compliments...or he could sit down, shut up and enjoy the ride. I would be driving to the gym daily...that gym was 30 miles from home. Since then I have joined a local one...it was cheaper than going to my "Free Gym" with the price of gas.

Fit Club last 6 weeks, I started out doing Flat Belly Diet. A good plan, but the website was kind of flat, and too much "I can't..." talk on the boards, not much encouragement. I read an article in People magazine about women who met in an online diet support group. The article listed a few different online diet support groups. A few days later I decided to check them out....3FC was the only name I could remember.

I read a few goal stories...but Glory's stuck with me. I actually read it 3 times back to back...I read it to hubby and said, "That will be ME one day!!" I think he actually kind of understood weight loss, weight control is not a natural thing for some people, like it is for him and I couldn't just "diet" for a short period of time...I had to do this for life. I ordered Super Foods RX. The six week Fit Club ended. It was based on percent of body fat lost. Well I had lost 18.4 pounds in those 6 weeks but only abut 1.4% body fat. I was not the grand prize winner. But I truly believe I gained something much greater than a $500 gift card!!

I began this journey on Jan 21 with the start of The Fit Club, today I am 56 pounds lighter. I feel remarkable!!! I do not focus on what I can't eat...I strive to eat the foods I should eat. I do not allow myself a weekly "cheat meal" like Glory did...I am not sure I have enough control to do that....not yet anyhow. If I want a treat I work it into my plan. I plan ahead....for everything. I try to find menu and nutrition information online before dining out. I buy many things in bulk and divide them into portion size servings and freeze or refridgerate the small portion so I have grab and go meals and snacks.

I don't think of myself as being on a diet....I see myself as making wise healthy food choices and incorporating a healthy level of physical activity in my life.

Sorry the post got so long.

Nada
06-20-2008, 12:05 PM
A hill in Lisbon. I had to keep stopping to catch my breath and my daughters were terrified that I was having a heart attack in a country where none of us spoke the language. I would like to go back now and kick that hill's butt!

pinkcarnation
06-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Last month I was trying to get dressed for an event. I tried on one after another after another of my "dress-up" clothes and I looked like heck in all of them, that is, the ones I could actually get onto to my body either up over my hips or down over my chest. I looked in the mirror and came to the conclusion I'm fat. Excuses like menopause and being over 50 didn't fly with me that evening. I decided to do something about it and the journey began.

fiberlover
06-20-2008, 12:26 PM
When I saw 250 on the scale, I realized "Hey - I am half way to 500 pounds - and only 1/4 of the way to half a ton."
I was disgusted about how I looked. I hated shopping at Lane Bryant.

I couldn't ignore it anymore.

grneyedmustang
06-20-2008, 12:41 PM
I knew I had gained weight, but I think I was in a bit of denial about how much weight I had gained. I was sitting at work one day, and I had on a sweater vest with a blouse underneath. The blouse wouldn't stay buttoned, and it wasn't just one button that kept popping, it was like 3 or 4 of them! Luckily, I had on the vest on top, so no one could tell, but what if I hadn't? :fr: At that point, I knew I had to lose some weight or I would be replacing my whole wardrobe. When I lost weight back in 2005, I got rid of all my old clothes and bought a whole closet full of new ones. I didn't have to replace them again with size 18/20s instead of 14/16s!

I went on WW May 10th, and started South Beach this week.

Ars, the scenario you described about not being able to find anything to wear happens to me quite frequently. My friends are always like "why is it taking you so long to get ready"? And I just tell them that I can't find anything to wear. Maybe I look fat in everything because I am fat!?

H8cake
06-20-2008, 12:45 PM
When I saw my Mom the last time before she died. She looked nothing like herself, so ravaged by diabetes and heart disease. On the way home I realized that I was having symptoms of both of these diseases twenty years earlier than she did. It hit me how crazy it is to treat my body this way. Years of not caring what I ate and no exercise were making me very sick. I got on the scale today and I'm down 51 pounds and I feel so much better! Can't wait to see a one-something on the scale.

UrsusMaritimus
06-20-2008, 01:13 PM
Watched my grandma gain weight until she could no longer walk.

Watched my dad binge and starve, binge and starve, binge and starve.

Realized I actually ENVIED my drug addict sister for being so thin.

Just want to live a long, healthy life.

yoyonomoreinvegas
06-20-2008, 01:25 PM
I've been up and down the scale my entire life (with all the downs done in horribly unhealthy ways) but on this last trip up I was in total denial - I didn't own a scale and I rationalized that a size 12 was only "a little" bigger than a 10, then a 14 was only "a little" bigger than the 12. Then it was the usual "they shrunk in the dryer" and then it was clothing manufacturers not being consistant, until I was bursting out of 16s and switched to men's jeans so I wouldn't have to admit being in an 18. Then when even the men's jeans were getting too tight I was still (this part does not speak well of me as a person - feels a little like making an admission in an AA meeting :o ) looking at a coworker and saying "at least I don't look as bad as she does". Even being threatened by a doctor with a whole laundry list of meds didn't really make it sink in what I was doing to myself. Then, after last year's company Christmas party, I was looking at the pictures and thought "oh, there's so-and-so". Wrong! so-and-so hadn't been at the party! I was looking at me and had mistaken myself for the person I thought I looked so much better than! For the first time in my life I understood the feeling they try to convey in the movies where the entire room seems to be moving away from the person.

The next day I went on line and ordered a piece of exercise equipment with a dvd program to follow and the day it arrived I bought a scale. I went out and found a new doctor that was more interested in proper nutrition than writing perscriptions and he got me started in the right direction. Around that same time I stumbled across 3FC which must have been fate :D because the advice and support I've found here have made it almost impossible for me to look anywhere but forward. :carrot:

happyveggie
06-20-2008, 01:26 PM
I got up to 180 once and lost 40 lbs.
I got up to 190, then lost 53 lbs.
I told myself that at least i never hit 200s, i would NEVER let myself go to the 200s.

I got up last sunday morning and weighed my self.
It was 200 lbs right on the button, then I changed everything around, and this time I'm gonna lose it and keep it off!

FB
06-20-2008, 01:31 PM
My big thing was this past Christmas. My son, 3 at the time had picked out a hoodie for me. He was so proud! A black Hello Kitty hoodie with skulls on it, he loves 'scawee' things and he couldn't wait for me to try it on. It didn't fit, I couldn't pull it up over my arms, heck my elbows - and it was an XL. It was crushing to disappoint my son. I never want to disappoint him again, and knew it would be the first of a string of disappointments unless I started right away. Also, my husband gave me a few cashmere sweaters, didn't fit.

I was mortified.

I resolved to start on January 1st, and here I am almost 6 months later still keeping to my resolution. It's the first resolution I've stuck with this long.

I will be wearing that hoodie this fall. Next fall it will be too big, but if my boy wants me to wear it I will. The cashmere sweaters are now too big :)

oea
06-20-2008, 05:08 PM
I'm just starting because I realized that I wouldn't go to my 20th reunion this summer because I've packed on so many pounds. Now I need to use the pain I feel when I see photos of myself and turn it into a will to lose-the-weight. I've exercised all week so I'm off to a good start! :)

WebRover
06-20-2008, 08:01 PM
My size 18s got tight, and as an apple I was sure I would be unable to find size 20s that fit - if they fit my waist I've have yards of baggy fabric. And they'd all be pull up stretch waistbands. I wasn't going to be able to find any clothes I'd care to wear.

And I suddenly realized I was seven pounds away from being 100 pounds over the weight I was in my late teens and twenties.

ars
06-20-2008, 10:31 PM
I'm definitely seeing a lot of stuff I have faced in your replies! The breathless up hill walks, the looking bad in pictures, the denial about changing sizes, the not fitting on an amusement park ride. I've been through all of that, but somehow it never made me change my ways. It's odd the things we sometimes manage to rationalize.

Hugs all around, I'm so glad to have found this board and all of you! :hug:

jimaterry
06-20-2008, 10:50 PM
Not having the energy or stamina to do ANYthing... I went for a walk one day after not walking for about a year more than in the house, and i couldnt do it.. i walked about 5 yards and had to stop and rest.. it p£$%ssed me off to no end... how had i let myself get to this point? i am 43 years old and was /am living in a 150 year old body ( at least it feels that way)... but one thing i have noticed.. in the last week and a half with making myself MOVE, i feel loads better, have more energy, have lost 10lbs, and it has all deepened my resolve to keep on truckin lol... if i feel this good after a week and still being huge, what will i feel like after a year and being 100 or so lbs lighter??? I am soo looking forward to that:)

ZedAus
06-21-2008, 04:59 AM
I was blissfully happy with my second husband, whom I had been married to for three and a half years. I looked across at him while were driving to do the grocery shopping and I figured that if I wanted to be alive long enough to grow old together I had better do something about my weight. Our grocery shopping that day was VERY different to grocery shopping excursions in the past.

I was similar to Glory in that I didn't decide to start 'tomorrow' or 'next week', but I started that minute and I never, once, thought that I wouldn't lose the weight I needed to. I am also like others in that I didn't go on a 'diet'. I changed my lifestyle - FOR LIFE!!!! That way, I am never going to 'stop the diet'. I just keep living my new, healthier lifestyle. It has made it SO much easier.

Ookpik
06-21-2008, 11:53 PM
Last January, my New Year's resolution was to lose weight, as it was every year. For some reason, though, I didn't actually start until the third week of that month, after a visit from a friend who informed me I wasn't too old to join the RCMP (she's an instructor there). I used to see the police driving around and thought, "I'd like to do that, if only I was in shape". During that visit, I had the same thought, but added to myself, "then get in shape". That has been my goal since, and a year and a half later, I have nearly 100 pounds gone, am gaining muscle by lifting weights and have started jogging (both recommended by the friend). I am hoping to be able to finally try out within a year, and if I don't make it, well, Canada has other police forces, or I can be a court sheriff. I'm following the "Couch to 5K" program, and when I'm jogging along, I picture myself in the Red Serge uniform, and that's what keeps me from giving up.

The police goal may be the straw that broke the camel's back, but several other factors caused it to strain...everyday functions were getting difficult, such as getting dressed, and even walking a few yards from the living room to my bedroom. Bending down and tying my shoe. Finding clothes that fit. Food, for me as it is for so many others, was a "comfort". My attitude was, I quit smoking, I rarely drink, I don't do drugs, I don't have a relationship with a significant other, at least eating gave me pleasure. It hit me that I didn't want food to be my only pleasure. Life is so much better now, I have more energy, I can play sports (which I always liked but felt too self-conscious to partake in), men are paying a lot more attention to me. I look in the mirror and increasingly like what I see.

Every year, in January, I made the resolution to lose weight. Every December, I used to think, "if only I'd stuck with my resolution, look how much weight I'd have gone". I'm glad I didn't have that thought this past December.

I didn't plan to make my post a novel, but typing this has been cathartic and reminded me why I'm in this new way of living. :)

Bonita Applebaum
06-25-2008, 12:38 PM
1) When I weighed in at 215lbs, a 35lb gain since high school.

2) Looking in the mirror, I realized that I'm no longer muscular with a little fat. I'm fat with a little muscle.

3) Picking up that size 14 jean at GAP and being worried that size 16 wasn't that far away. Furthermore the size 16 jeans at GAP are few and far between.

4) Realizing that one day I want to have a child and adding 30-50lbs to the 215lbs I already had didn't seem ideal.

NightengaleShane
06-25-2008, 03:26 PM
I must say that it was a series of events...

I was tired of wearing the same five outfits in rotation and having an entire closet full of clothes that didn't fit. I also didn't like when size 14's, 13's, and 15's were starting to fit snugly. I was a plus sized woman and there was no way around it.

I stepped on several scales at several different supermarkets (I avoided them for so long because I just didn't want to KNOW how much I weighed!) and they all told me between 175-180. "Oh crap," I thought, "I weigh as much as MY DAD! :(" I realized I was NOT "average" - I was 20 pounds overweight and if I gained 10-15 more pounds, I'd be obese. I didn't want to be obese.

I started working a new job around ten miles away from my house and decided it would be a neat idea to ride my bike there. Then, I realized I needed to cut my calories and make some major dietary adjustments... and lo and behold, I found this forum :D The rest is well-documented history. :)

lumifan4ever
06-25-2008, 03:56 PM
I hated having my picture taken because even face shots were fat. I didn't want to be "the fat mom" and have my girls embarressed by me. I was tired of outgrowing my clothes and getting bigger ones. I had a hard time fitting in some of the rides at Six Flags. I hadn't worn a skirt or dress in a couple years. Then in january, while eating my healthy choice, i saw an older lady outside walking around the parking lot on her lunch break and thought, "i can do that". And so i did. I walked 2 miles everyday and ate my healthy choice lunches and started counting calories. Then i found this website and have lost 60 pounds to date. Now...if i can get my butt back in gear and lose the rest of the weight i wanted to lose....that would be awesome.

xraygirl
06-25-2008, 04:46 PM
I saw myself in some wedding photos wearing a "lovely" pepto bismol pink bridesmaid dress. I can't enjoy playing with my kids. I feel horrible all of the time. I don't want to do anything social because people may stare at me and snicker. I went shopping the other day (the first in years). I saw all of the cute smaller clothes, and thought, I would love to walk into any store that I want and buy whatever I wanted because I knew it would fit.

lilybelle
06-25-2008, 05:31 PM
I was aware that every year my weight was going up by 10-15 lbs. My local Dr. told me it was the prednisone (steroid) and there was nothing I could do about it. I went to see a new hepatologist and he plainly told me that yes the medicine does make you hungrier but it is what you put in your mouth that is making you fat. He flat out told me that I needed a liver transplant and that I was not eligible due to the obesity and the list of other health related problems that I had . My choice was to continue to eat whatever I wanted and die or to lose the weight and be eligible for the transplant. It was a slap in the face and a no-brainer. I still have children to raise that need and love their mother. I chose to lose weight and try to be as healthy as possible.

jacqu79
06-26-2008, 05:49 PM
I'm having surgery later in the year, and one part of the surgery involves a tummy tuck, so I thought, if I'm getting the chance of this, I might as well lose as much weight as poss and make the most of it!

Also a lot of the reasons others have used are true for me too. Breaking my heart the night before my sisters wedding, as I knew I was going to look a mess and spoil her photos. Seeing photos of me where I looked about twice my age. And also I'm in love with a guy who isn't attracted to me at all, so i thought "I'll show him" lol. Since I've started losing weight though, my reasons have changed. I love the feeling I get when people notice I've lost weight and tell me I look good, so want to lose more and hear more compliments! I love the feeling I get from exercising in the gym. I love being able to buy nicer clothes, and can't wait to buy even nicer ones the more I lose!!!!!:D

thesusanone
06-27-2008, 12:34 AM
The final straw for me was being severely ill with attacks of nausea, vomiting, low grade fever, chills, and vague pain in my abdomen. The doctors were not able to find a cause for it. I was unable to eat very much during that time so I went on a very clean, health food diet. And when I wasn't having an attack, I noticed that I was feeling much better eating less and eating healthy foods. My doctor eventually theorized that maybe I passed a gall stone or a kidney stone. But whatever the problem was, it went away after 2 months of misery. And I decided to stick with my diet and join weight watchers. I'm afraid to go back to bad eating, in case whatever the problem was comes back. I don't want to see doctors every month or 2! I'm so sick of going to the doctor. I just want to be healthy. Who cares about looking good. I just want to feel good and be able to do stuff like a normal person!!!

thesusanone
06-27-2008, 12:38 AM
I was aware that every year my weight was going up by 10-15 lbs. My local Dr. told me it was the prednisone (steroid) and there was nothing I could do about it. I went to see a new hepatologist and he plainly told me that yes the medicine does make you hungrier but it is what you put in your mouth that is making you fat. He flat out told me that I needed a liver transplant and that I was not eligible due to the obesity and the list of other health related problems that I had . My choice was to continue to eat whatever I wanted and die or to lose the weight and be eligible for the transplant. It was a slap in the face and a no-brainer. I still have children to raise that need and love their mother. I chose to lose weight and try to be as healthy as possible.

That is awesome lilybelle. I hope you get your transplant soon. I really admire your fortitude in the face of such adversity. It's really inspiring!

Lunula
06-27-2008, 01:06 AM
Two things really for me - first, my family trip to Costa Rica (my husband's family). One thing I've always wanted to do is go scuba diving, but when the time came to get in the pool for practice, they didn't have a large enough wetsuit for me. The instructor said he'd bring one to the dive, but there was NO way I was going to risk getting all the way out there & trying it on and have it not fit. So I made up an excuse about the mask hurting my sinuses and then I went back to our room and sobbed.

Then when we got home from vacation, my knee (it's been injured many times and I've had one surgery on it) was very stiff. I went to my ortho surgeon, got x-rays before seeing him - and when he walked into the room after viewing my x-rays, he said, "Had I not known it was you, I would've thought I was looking at the bad knees of a 65-year-old" (I was 36 at the time). He said I was going to have to have total knee replacement...IN 5-10 YEARS! Losing weight was the best way to have stave off knee replacement...

So here I am. 3 months & 26 pounds later.

And BTW - my "goal reward" is to get SCUBA certified! :D

kaplods
06-27-2008, 01:09 AM
There really wasn't a straw, not in the sense most people are meaning it. I didn't wake up one day and DECIDE to be serious. After decades of dieting, I pretty much thought long-term weight loss just wasn't going to be possible.

Then, unable to work because of health problems (some caused or worsened by my weight) I sat home all day - and lost weight without even trying. About 12 lbs, I think. No effort at all. Losing weight without trying, in 36 years of dieting (since age 5) that had NEVER happened to me before.

WEIRD, I though. The reasons were obvious - more sleep, less stress, eating better (because I like good, wholesome food and didn't miss the vending machines that everyone including me ate out of, out of habit).

Another coincidence helped me lose a few more pounds - a doctor suggeting I stack bc to reduce or eliminate periods (I'm a major PMS binger - no menses, no premenstrual cravings), and try low-carb for hunger control.

Having weight come off and stay off without Herculean effort, it's been a life-altering experience for me. It's now time to put in alot more effort into losing weight and exercising, and being more rigid with my food plan. My health has improved to the point that I FEEL like exercising and working towards my goals.

Spoz
06-27-2008, 03:55 AM
I kind of started putting on lbs and every-time I saw the scale I'd say 'really need to lose weight' and then would do nothing about it. Then sometime later I started having 'fat days' and they turned into an everyday occurrence till I just refused to go out anymore. It actually got that bad. Then my mum gave me a Rosemary Conley book - I tried counting calories for a week and after losing a few lbs I thought 'I can do this and I can be thin and happy again'. And here I am!

Heather
06-27-2008, 04:40 AM
And BTW - my "goal reward" is to get SCUBA certified! :D

You'll get there, and you'll love it! I'm working on my scuba certification this summer! Definitely not something I could have done at my highest weight!!!! :D

traceylenore
06-27-2008, 10:54 AM
I have had several moments. I just didn't listen to them as well as I should've. Mind you, I had lost 60 lbs before, but gained some back. Yesterday, well it changed everything. I am a diabetic. A type II and they have no idea why I ended up being one at the age of 25. No previous diabetes, I was checked often. I just don't want those things to happen to me that I have seen happen to others. I have already went through heart testing and everything else.

Throughout my teens, I never weighed more than 130lbs. Now i am at 217. I figure its time for me to quit making excuses and get my life back.

purpleorc
06-27-2008, 12:18 PM
:welcome: traceylenore to 3fc sorry to hear that you have diabetis but you have done the right thing embarking on the road to healthy eating. :goodluck: on your weight loss journey and reaching your goals.

HoneyMustard
06-27-2008, 12:32 PM
What did it for me: Having to buy a $75 bra plus having to make my own underwear!

LetsWorkItOut
06-27-2008, 12:35 PM
I am newly married, and my husband and I were talking about weight loss the other day. He said, "Yeah, when I looked at the scale, and it said 167, I said 'Whoa, I need to lose weight.'" Internally, that just crushed me. I haven't seen that number in years, and I wonder what he would think if he knew how much I weigh. I've become moody and unhappy about my weight, and I don't want to become resentful because he is a normal weight and I am not.

purpleorc
06-27-2008, 12:37 PM
The "straw that broke this camels back" was watching a programme on television and seeing a gentleman being having to be cut out of his home. If I continued the way I was with unhealthy foods I would put on more and more pounds. With having an health issue which is not related to weight I was then fearful than in a few years down the line I could be extracted from my home by cutting out the walls :fr: . Though prior to this programme I had started toying with the idea of losing weight but did nothing about it. For years I had played ostrich by burying my head in the sand and pretending I was not grossly overweight.

When I eventually stood on the scales I was horrified that I weighed 300lbs. Fast forward now to 15 months since I embarked on my healthy eating I have now lost 111lbs. On beginning this weight loss journey I never envisaged that I would be 111lbs lighter but I am so happy that I am :D

Katie B Good
06-28-2008, 08:53 PM
A co-worker was trying to quit smoking. She asked for help staying on track and keep her accountable.

So, one morning I asked her if she was good or had that morning smoke on the way to work. She replied, "I don't know! Have you eaten yet today?" It took me a minute to realize that she had just called me fat.

It was hurtful, but motivated me at the same time.

Thankfully I don't work with her anymore though.

danemom
06-28-2008, 09:58 PM
My moment came while scrubbing our tub. I turned to pick up something from the floor and caught a glimpse of this ginormous butt in the mirror. All I could think was who is that fat a**ed lady in my bathroom. I started crying when I realized it was me. :o

yoyomadness
06-28-2008, 10:11 PM
What did it for me: Having to buy a $75 bra plus having to make my own underwear!

Ha ha! But when you reach goal, will you mind spending $75 on a sexxxy French lace balconette?

Naytally
06-28-2008, 10:19 PM
Two bad things and one good thing finally led me to where I am today, successfully on a permanent lifestyle change diet.

1. Last summer my fiance and I went to the Delaware State Fair for his birthday and to see Big & Rich w/Cowboy Troy play at the Grandstand. I had always had track seating, which was close to the stage and white lawn chairs, but this time we had stadium seating. I went to sit down and couldn't. I could not fit in the chairs (although, my fiance was having a bit of trouble, as well, and he is taller/slimmer than I am) and I sat down on the stairs. The security guard came over and told me I could not sit on the stairs because it is dangerous if there is a fire (um, if theres a fire, I'm not just going to SIT there) so she told me to sit in my seat. I promptly said I could not and she said I had to show her I could not. I tried again, and she just got *****y and walked away and started talking vulgarly to another guard and pointed at me (which, I was standing in front of my seat now, making the people behind me get pissed off). I walked down the stairs and said "You know what? I'm fat. **** you. I can not fit in your toddler sized seats and most people in this country probably can't either." and walked off and cried for 10 minutes. My fiance, durring this time, asked for a manager to the complex, and told him the story, and we got VIP seating and some free merchandise for our troubles. Still sucked though. The next concert we went to there (brad paisley) I made sure I bought the tickets way in advance so we could get track seating again.

2. I looked at the scale one day and it said 305. I had gone over 300 pounds. I could not believe it. *shakes head*

3. (THE GOOD THING!!) My fiance proposed to me on Dec. 21st last year. I decided that I did not want to be morbidly obese on our wedding day, and I did not want to be a fat and unattractive bride, and I also really want to wear cute lingre for the wedding night. So we both promised eachother that we would lose weight for our wedding. So far FH has lost a total of 40 pounds since the begining of the year and I have lost 25. He has about 30 more to go to be at his goal weight of 240, and then he is going to do some toning. I have another 80 or so to be at my goal weight of 200. I may wind up changing my numbers depending on what dress size I am when it comes time for my fittings. If I can comfortably fit into a size 12, I will be content for a while, at least until after the wedding which I will start to lose more. I ultimately want to be in a size 8. Right now I have a ton of muscle and I carry my weight very well, because I'm 280 lbs, 5'7" and wear a 20. Some people tell me that they're the same stats as me and wear from a 24 all the way to a 28... So if my waist gets to be a 12, I will be content!

Naytally
06-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Oh, and thinking about this thread just made me realize something. I want to be the hot gamer geek chick who is married to the hot gamer geek guy. I want to be that unavailable hot nerd girl that the boys (and girls... *grin*) just SWOON over. I will be!

Goal Reward added to list: Pair of tripp pants and a corsett.

thesusanone
06-29-2008, 02:16 AM
I was blissfully happy with my second husband, whom I had been married to for three and a half years. I looked across at him while were driving to do the grocery shopping and I figured that if I wanted to be alive long enough to grow old together I had better do something about my weight. Our grocery shopping that day was VERY different to grocery shopping excursions in the past.

I was similar to Glory in that I didn't decide to start 'tomorrow' or 'next week', but I started that minute and I never, once, thought that I wouldn't lose the weight I needed to. I am also like others in that I didn't go on a 'diet'. I changed my lifestyle - FOR LIFE!!!! That way, I am never going to 'stop the diet'. I just keep living my new, healthier lifestyle. It has made it SO much easier.

You truly are an inspiration. I love how positive you are in your thinking. I've been learning recently that maintenance is actually harder than losing the weight in the first place, so I just wanted to tell you that I am really inspired by your story and your Web site. I hope to do as well as you are doing!

JetSet1982
06-29-2008, 05:40 PM
So here I am fluctuating between 215-220lbs.

I've started to believe that God (or karma, or whatever higher being you believe in) has blessed me in so many other ways that my weight is intended to be my one failure in life. I have a great job where I get to travel the world, plenty of money, a handsome and smart fiance, and a great house in a great city. I have honestly started to think that maybe, people just aren't meant to have everything they want therefore I'm destined to fail at weight loss.

I have all the motivation in the world, I know I feel better with the weight off, I love nice clothes, my fiance has announced that the reason he has virtually stopped having sex with me is due to my weight (gained 25lb since I've been with him), and I'm constantly tired and feeling ugly. I also have PCOS and the longlist of annoyances that come along with that. Somehow, it's still not enough for me to get on the horse and start tackling this one goal that eludes me. When I get to a restaurant or the grocery store, I still make the same terrible choices. I still join the gym, then get bored after a month.

I'm not sure what it's going to take for me to get down to business.

Smiling_Sara
06-29-2008, 06:23 PM
I had gone to my doc for some allergy problems I was having, about 3 months later I went in for my physical, and had gained 16 lbs in those 3 months. I then went to my dress fitting for my sisters wedding, and I had to order the largest size they had, and even then, it didn't fit very good. They told me they may have to add material. I was crushed. I've lost 53 lbs since then. My sisters wedding is Sat July 5th, and I had to get it altered, but taken in. They took it in a total of 5 inches. I am happy with my success thus far and only hope I can keep my motovation up to lost the next 50 lbs.

cmichele1974
06-29-2008, 06:34 PM
After weeks of thinking, I just woke up one morning and decided it was time. The driving thing for me is I feel like I'm not living up to my potential. The changes I'm making now are sweeping, they aren't just limited to weight.

Jet Set, the thing you should remember is you have to make choices for yourself. Sure, it's nice to have family and friends supporting you but the bottom line is it comes back to you. You may very well need to lose weight. However, the weight won't come off (long term) until you have made up your mind that it's time AND you are making these changes for yourself. Though I don't suffer from PCOS, I do know a lot about it. I'm sure it hurt you to hear your future husband say those things to you. I won't say anything else but I will ask did he ever stop to think that maybe your PCOS (and other side effects from it) is the reason why you gained weight?

Hugs to you and good luck.

djay
06-29-2008, 07:02 PM
Jetset,
I can totally relate to your story. I would resolve so often to REALLY loose this weight this time. I would go to the grocery store and buy nothing but healthy foods. then go home and eat the whole weeks worth in a day. One day I finally realized that I was putting all of the blessings in my life at risk because I would not control my eating. Perhaps I didn't feel worthy of so much good and was looking to sabotage it? I don't know. But I decided that I wanted to be IN my life and the weight was holding me back from enjoying my blessings fully. I am no longer willing to missout on any blessings, no matter how small, because of my weight.

ANOther
06-29-2008, 07:10 PM
I have a pretty strong family history of diabetes on both sides (my dad, his last surviving sister and both my grandfathers have/had it), so I always knew I better get my butt in gear sometime; but for years I had a doctor-phobia. Finally I had a problem that I couldn't ignore, and found a sympathetic doctor who did much to help me get over the phobia. She always thought my blood pressure was ok, but about 3, 4 years ago she had a health issue of her own which forced her to give up her practice (she died earlier this year :cry:), so I switched over to my mom's doctor. He was not so pleased with my bp and first put me on meds, then suggested that I come back in a month and try to lose 3 # by then and 10 # in the next year. I lost 10 pounds in the first month alone and that convinced me I could do it

RealCdn
06-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Okay, I'm probably the worst person to give relationship advice. However, if you've gained weight since you've been together - what is he going to do to help you lose weight. Assuming that you live together, and eat meals together, the new lifestyle you've chosen is contributing to your weight gain.

(If you live separately then there are different issues.)

I'm not sure I like the line "my fiance has announced that the reason he has virtually stopped having sex with me is due to my weight". I wonder if/when he gains 25 lbs would he consider it acceptable for you not to want to have sex? I suspect not.

So, join a gym together. Spend time cooking together (always healthier than eating out). You can make nice meals, just give him a slightly larger percentage of the dish. Find a healthy activity you both enjoy. Work on a better lifestyle together. Start your life together in a better way. If he just wants to sit on the couch eating chips and complaining about your weight gain.... well, you probably won't like the advice I'd give you.

Glory87
06-29-2008, 07:51 PM
Here's another current thread with a nearly identical title!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144356

JetSet1982
06-29-2008, 08:08 PM
Sorry about posting the same thread, Glory87. I should have searched, but I'm not sure what I would have searched for and there is no way I would have thought someone else would use the camel analogy! Great minds, I suppose.

As for my fiance, he has always been a hardcore weightlifter and outdoorsman and continues to be. I joined the gym because he really wanted me to go with him and I got bored after a month and stopped making time for it. He has encouraged me to have a better lifestyle and I have turned it down.

We do live seperately and I have most of my meals alone. I took a promotion since we've been together that lessened my travel and led to me being more sedentary which contributed to the 25lbs. It's 100% my fault that I'm fat, there is just nothing giving me a big enough kick in the behind to do something about it. He was absolutely not trying to be hurtful and I wanted to know why our sex life had dwindled. I appreciated his honesty and wouldn't have tolerated a lie.

I lack motivation so that's why I wanted to see other ladies' primary motivators.

djay -- I have done the exact same thing before. I have went to the store, bought the healthy stuff, then ate it all in a day as well. It's a rotten feeling.

bettyred
06-30-2008, 03:12 AM
I LOVED my lane bryant pants... even fat I thought hey these look cute! lol But I had worn them for two years- two different pair constantly switching lol between them and my shorts of course lol and with both pairs of pants worn out... my mother thought it was nice to go get me just something to wear until she came home with rather large pair of mens sweat pants... I was like.. there's no way these will fit!!! I can't wear them I have to deal with the public... SUPRISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL Not only were they awful but they fit!! lol That was around Christmas... They no longer 'fit' but they are my motivation :)

Rach

Mum2Monkeys
06-30-2008, 12:51 PM
The final straw for me was realizing that my son is almost three months old, and there are many women on my birth board who have not only lost their baby weight, but are on their way towards their ultimate goals. I simply cannot blame this state of being on pregnancy any more :(

So I set my resolve to get serious. I'm on day 3 of SBD Phase 1 and going strong :) My husband has agreed to do it with me this time, and his support is really helping me stick to it.

My motivation though, I had him take before pictures for me both from the front and from the side (heck, I should have done one from the back huh?) and I was disgusted. I knew I'd gotten big, but the camera doesn't add 10 lbs -- the camera simply tells the brutal truth. And boy howdy was it brutal!

So I dug out a pair of size 10 skinny jeans and have them hanging in my bedroom so they're the last thing I see when I go to bed and the first thing I see when I get up in the morning! I WILL fit those jeans!

Jess

thesusanone
06-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Okay, I'm probably the worst person to give relationship advice. However, if you've gained weight since you've been together - what is he going to do to help you lose weight. Assuming that you live together, and eat meals together, the new lifestyle you've chosen is contributing to your weight gain.

(If you live separately then there are different issues.)

I'm not sure I like the line "my fiance has announced that the reason he has virtually stopped having sex with me is due to my weight". I wonder if/when he gains 25 lbs would he consider it acceptable for you not to want to have sex? I suspect not.

So, join a gym together. Spend time cooking together (always healthier than eating out). You can make nice meals, just give him a slightly larger percentage of the dish. Find a healthy activity you both enjoy. Work on a better lifestyle together. Start your life together in a better way. If he just wants to sit on the couch eating chips and complaining about your weight gain.... well, you probably won't like the advice I'd give you.

Good advice, RealCdn. It is so true that it is a lifestyle when 2 people are living their lives together. What one does affects the other. By the way, I wanted to comment that your stats are so inspiring.

bfvgirlplayer
07-01-2008, 03:58 PM
The thing that led to my weight loss was a crush. I know it is the worst reason, and I know it should be done for yourself and your image. I'm not sure what started the love affair, but he was my close friend, and I ended up telling him how I felt... It didn't end well, and I felt like if he can't see past this skin than no one could. It really broke my heart, but he was really sweet about it. I was around 300lbs at the time, and I began thinking of him whenever I would reach for a snack or make a bad meal choice. I didn't want to give up on him, I felt it wasn't fair to him to expect him to take me as I was, that he deserved a skinny cute girl. Even though it was for the wrong reasons it really worked and I am down about 120lbs. We are actually best friends now, I can talk to him about everything! and I am so glad I had the guts to tell him or we wouldn't have ever gotten as close as we are.:hug:

p.s I am pretty new to this site and am not sure how to find posts, like I posted a reply to a couple of things and can't find where they were, does that make sense? If it does could someone send me a message how to find what I have posted. Thanks :^:

thesusanone
07-01-2008, 04:19 PM
There is one easy way of seeing everything you posted. If you look at your most recent post, you should see your screen name on the left side. It's a link. Click on it, and a drop down list appears. Then click on "all posts" or whatever it says.

Another way is to click on "Quick Links" above, on the purple/blue bar. And then click on "subscribed threads". Because the messages you post on, or start, you should be subscribed to. If not, then there is a way to change it in your preferences so you are subscribed.

I wanted to share with you that I also lost a lot of weight once for a crush. I was in my early twenties, and my brother worked with this guy who I thought was so cool looking. He was super tall and skinny and had really pretty blue eyes. I thought he was worth having at any cost. I lost a ton of weight and then asked him to come over. I threw myself at him, and he accepted the offer. He was actually dating another girl at the time, and he told me he was leaving her for me. But the reality was that he didn't end his other relationship. He ended up dating both of us for more than a year before I figured it out. In fact, he added another girlfriend, so he was seeing 3 different girls at the same time. He broke my heart. I was an emotional wreck for a year, after I broke it off with him. It was really one of the worst things I ever did to myself, because I was willing to do anything to be with him. And it ended up being at great cost to my dignity and self worth. I think you are smart to at least have a crush on a friend who is a good guy, who won't degrade you. I hope and pray you end up healthy, happy and with someone who loves and honors you!

Judy Lynn
07-01-2008, 05:46 PM
I have gained 50 pounds in the last year. It pains me to type that. How the heck does one gain 50 pounds in a year? And I was overweight before that. I had an ankle and foot problem that prevented me from exercising. I quit caring, I quit trying. I feel gross. I wanted to paint my toenails, and I could barely do it. I can barely make it up two flights of stairs. My fat pants don't fit. My closets are bursting, and I have nothing to wear. I weigh probably 40 pounds more than DH, and he thinks he is fat. I can barely fit in an airplane seat and do up the seatbelt. If I don't smarten up I will soon be 300 pounds!

I have one week of Weight Watchers under my belt, and I think I have finally turned the corner to getting my life back.

JayEll
07-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Judy Lynn, :wel3fc:

You've come to the right place. :yes: Many of us wonder how we gained that weight, and the answer was, one bite at a time. :( Fortunately you can lose it the same way. Choose your bites!

Good luck with WW! It's a great program!

Jay

Chubby Bunnykins
07-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Wow! I am new here and reading this thread really hits home. I can feel for all of you and it is reassuring to see I am not the only one thinking and feeling these things! For me this camel is seriously damaged. There has been so many straws to break it's back.

I avoid cameras and I hate that my children will look back at their baby pics and wonder what the heck I looked like. I hate that if something were to happen to me, they would not have any pictures of me after my wedding.

I realized that when I was younger I used to always double cross my legs (over the knee then wrapped behind so my ankle tucked behind the other) and now I can barely cross them once. My fat knees seem to just slide off each other.

I hate that I am no longer dealing with cellulite in the upper thigh area but all the way to my ankles. ICK.

I hate avoiding events because I have nothing to wear that doesn't make me look like I am wearing a tent.

I hate that I can't go shopping because if it fits over my thighs it is too big in the waist and gaps in the back (I am a serious pear shape).

I hate that I have bins and bins of clothes that are too small and still have the tags on them.

I hate that I refuse to go shopping because I "know" I won't be this size much longer. I hate even more that I have been saying that for 6 years.

I hate that I just went for four days to my hometown and I refused to tell anyone I was going to be there because I am too fat and I don't want any one to see me.

I hate having my family look at my butt or thighs or arms when they think I don't notice, and seeing a look of disgust.

I hate that my family looks at me sideways when I order at a restaurant, knowing they are thinking to themselves "no wonder she is so fat".

I hate that I never want to be intimate with my husband because I feel so ugly and gross.

I hate that my children have told me they don't want to get fat like me (too young to realize this hurts).

I hate avoiding business situations that could seriously benefit my income because I feel too fat.

There is more... but I think you can all see this poor camel is in need of a medic.

Naytally
07-01-2008, 09:41 PM
There is more... but I think you can all see this poor camel is in need of a medic.

Wow. All I can say is :hug:... We are all here for you.

bfvgirlplayer
07-02-2008, 12:36 AM
Thank you SO much thesusanone! :hug:

Pandora123a
07-02-2008, 09:51 AM
I've collected all of those straws...and my poor camel just kept groaning under the load.

The final one for me was getting a diagnosis of kidney disease...and pre-diabetes...and seeing my life was getting limited. I have a great life, wonderful husband family and friends, interesting work, beautiful home, and lots of interesting travel. Recently I started noticing that when we traveled I did less...wanted to walk less so I saw less and did less...then my sister started to cry and said she was taking a cruise with friends and had wanted to invite me, but couldn't because she couldn't share a room with me because my snoring was so loud. I understood...and hated myself.

Then I got the diagnosis of kidney disease. Suddenly I started seeing my future, instead of travel it would be dialysis. Instead of walking I was heading towards a knee replacement and a wheelchair. My doctor challenged me to lose two pounds a month. I've taken up that challenge...and it's different this time. I'm doing it! I will do it! I will maintain the loss.

This board is a great help...(as is Lyn's Escape from Obesity blog which I read from the beginning over the last few weeks, I highly recommend it.)

luckymommy
07-02-2008, 12:28 PM
I know there have already been many posts, and I've read them all, but I still want to add mine! ;)

For me, there have been lots of straws, lots of determined speaches (on my part) of how I'm really going to do it this time...lots of beginings and just as many endings. What FINALLY did it was a trip to SouthBeach, FL w/ my hubby and kids. I had to be out by the pool and I was wearing a bathing suit that has a skirt attached, but my thighs still rubbed together (which is embarassing in a bathing suit). I felt like a whale! Everyone else by the pool was stunningly skinny...earing g-strings, etc. They were all so thin and beautiful! My hubby and I would go to restaurants and eat way too much...binge together....because we were so miserable. It was terrible and I don't think I enjoyed a single bite....really! We would go shopping, but there was nothing to buy. We focused on shoe stores, but what's the point?

Anyway, when I came back, I took another week of doing nothing and then, I finally commited. That was in the middle of May. I have lost 30 lbs. since then and I feel SO MUCH BETTER. I've realized that you don't have to wait until you're at goal to feel good.

I did have some set-backs, but I jumped right back on. I can't wait to hit my goal...I have 25 lbs. to go and I never want to gain any of this back...ever. I'm sick of having a closet full of cute, trendy clothes and not being able to wear them. I hate looking for something to wear and trying to figure out if it looks bad or horrible. I can't stand going to parties because it's no fun to be the fat friend in the entire bunch. I also hate taking pictures and there are almost none w/ me in them.

I think I'm a food addict and I really hate that, but now, I know this will never change. I have lost the same 50 lbs. at least 4 times and a bunch more weight here and there and I just need to realize that I can never just relax about this...I now have my routine and I plan to stick to it for the rest of my life.

I can't wait to be an inspiration to others here....as so many of you have inspired me. I don't just get inspired by the ones who have reached goal. I get tons of inspiration by the people who have a lot to lose and are so focused and determined. I also get inspired to do better when one of us on here slips....sometimes it's me, sometimes it's one of you..but it's a reminder that this isn't easy and it needs constant work.

This isn't an Oscar speech! Sorry! Hugs to all of the "chicks!"

BrandNewJen
07-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Honestly, I don't really know what broke the camel's back...

I think part of it was just that my life had become increasingly unhappy... I had a great new job, I was newly married... yet I was MISERABLE. Hard to lvoe other things when you don't love yourself.

I didn't feel I fit in at my job b/c I work in law enforcement and a FATTY doesn't quite fit the ideal. My sex life with my husband was almost nonexistent, not because he didn't find me sexy, but we were both too big and lazy and tired at the end of the day to put the effort into it (I KNOW sex shouldn't be an "effort", awful isn't it?) And I just hated the situation. HATED it. We argued about it and I cried about it... and I know it was ME I hated... and the angrier I got about it, the more my relationship suffered...

So... it was New Years 2008... and I'm not one for resolutions. So I didn't make one. I just said I'm going to do it. And I rushed out of the gate from day one. I've had a few setbacks (just coming off a two-week binge) but I can proudly say that 6 months after, I'm 38 pounds down instead of 38 pounds heavier (which was certainly possible)

I was over 300 pounds when I started. I had once said before that I would never go over 250. Now? I'd rather never see the 200's ever again. Hopefully I'll accomplish that. B/c I know truly, the only way my LIFE will be happy is if *I'm* happy.

Judy Lynn
07-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Brand New Jen, I can't send PM's until my post count is higher, but I just wanted to thank you very much. You have no idea how much that meant to me. :hug:

Also, thanks Jay Ell for your support.

net knee
07-04-2008, 04:28 PM
I didn't feel I fit in at my job b/c I work in law enforcement and a FATTY doesn't quite fit the ideal.

I almost cried when I saw you are in probation!! That was my goal job... county, state, and then federal... I was aiming for the top! Then I hurt my back at the Jail where I work and it's a county jail (about 200 inmates) so "fatty" seems to fit the job description there. So many of my co-workers are over weight. Now that i hurt my back I will never be in probation... I cant even work my job at the jail as a corrections officer b/c of my limitations from my back injury. :cry: :bomb:
I gained 50 pounds in the 5 months after my back injury and surgery.
I got sick and tired of being huge-- I had my laptop on my lap and my BELLY clicked the mouse for me!!! What the...I was not happy. I also was planning a vacation to the bahamas! I imagined the pictures I'd bring home from the bahamas of this whale on the beautiful beaches... I decided it was time for me to lose weight and get down to 160 before my trip to the bahamas on November 2nd... I will do it, i want to feel beautiful in the bahamas and i want to wear a bikini for the first time in ten years!! Last time i wore a bikini was in December 1998 on a florida vacation. (and even then i thought i was huge... if only i knew what i'd look like today... i would have done a photo shoot!! haha)

Rain Dancer
07-04-2008, 04:45 PM
When I realized that I was straining the seams of my size 5X clothes. Knowing that I weighed over 400 pounds. 400 pounds! A weight I swore I would never even come near... I had exceeded it. That I couldn't walk from one end of my small house to the other without feeling as if I couldn't breathe. When I couldn't keep my house the way I like to because it was just too much for me. When I couldn't climb out of my car! I could go on and on. It just finally hit me that if I don't get this under control and get to a healthy, normal weight, I might as well hang it up, now. Because I was killing myself.

I am making progress. Some days I do better than others. But, unlike the many, many, many other attempts I have made, I feel as if this is my time. My turn.

Strangedreamer
07-05-2008, 08:26 PM
It was two things that happened for me that finally broke the camel's back.
First, I was looking at some photos of me and my BF and noticed that I had bulges everywhere! And at the time I thought I looked good and was feeling great about myself for once. Obviously, I didn't look good at all.
The next happened about a week later when I went shopping with my mom. I was in the store and I kept on seeing all these women older and smaller than me..and I started to feel uncomfortable so I left and waited in the car. When my mom finally finished and got in the car she said something to me that made the decision for me. " If you're not going to do anything about it (my weight), are you going to hide your entire life at home?" I realized she was right..I cried a little afterwards and here I am starting out. I shouldn't be hiding, I should be out living life. And I survived my time to a gym (I was mortified! Thank god I had a buddy or I would of bolted), so it'll get easier from there.:p

Miltrez
07-06-2008, 04:12 PM
The final straw for me is very easy to pin point I will never forget the very moment it occurred. After being a stay at home mom for 3 years I had decided to return to school and get my masters degree. I'm a very driven person and work extremely hard to reach my goals both personal and professionally. I was gaining weight at a rapid pace in school but I didn't mind because I was making great grades and still spending allot of time with my son and husband. I just figured I would loose it once I graduated and it could be my new project. Last fall I was going through recruiting which involved dinners, meet & greets, and interviews I was running out of things to wear because I hadn't worked professionally in years and none of my old stuff would fit. For one event I was trying really hard to find something without having to buy anything new and was getting really upset. Thatís when my husband came up with a really great idea of just wearing some of my maternity pants with a long dress shirt and nobody would know. I quickly dug out my box grabbed the first pair of dress pants I saw and tried to put them on. I could not even pull them all the way up. I just sit down dumbfounded I couldnít believe it at that point I had not even weighed my self in about a year and half. I was so shocked I didnít know what to do I couldnít even be upset. I felt as though something had to be wrong but it still didnít sink in until later. I went to the event in a new outfit. While I was at the dinner I suddenly realized I was the fattest person there. It was so noticeable to me and for the first time in my life I was very self conscious Although I had been chubby for years I was obese now and looked every bit of it. I just stood there with chills running down my spine staring. It was like I suddenly understood what I had done to myself.

missygith
07-06-2008, 05:18 PM
oh my gosh. Some of these posts made me cry, too close to home I 'spose. My straw was something so simple and stupid... So, some of the kids in my sons kindergarten class saw me at the pool with my son for his swim lessons. Ok fine, (they are 2 cute little girls) The next day was my day to volunteer at class. The 2 girls came up to me excited that they had seen me again. (kids get excited over the coolest stuff!;)) The teacher, (BTW nice young good looking male teacher) asked "where had they seen me?" Well, "at the pool last night", of course, and the teacher looked at me and said nicely "you were in the pool?"
:eek:
Now... Im sure he didnt mean anything like, you, fatso were in a swimsuit... It was my reaction, my immediate rush of fear, embarassment and shame flowed over me. I quickly said no, that I was there with my boys for there lessons and moved on. That was IT! Being mortified over the idea of someone thinking I was in a bathing suit was my straw!:o

Zima
07-07-2008, 11:12 AM
I was at a restaurant at 2:00 AM with my husband, stuffing my face with a roast beef sandwich and mashed potatoes with extra gravy. I mentioned that I should start dieting again, and he said "What's the point? You're just going to give up again anyway." I started bawling right there in the restaurant, but that didn't stop me from finishing my meal.

On the way home, he and I made a pact that we were going to eat healthy and exercise every day to reach our goals. We[ve been at it ever since :)

followyourBLISS
07-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Being in a wedding. I had already been the fat bridesmaid once, I wasn't about to be it again. I lost 60 pounds for that wedding. :)

micasa2grls
07-09-2008, 12:09 AM
I am 31 years old, 5'4" and the mother of 3 young girls, ages 5, 7 ad 9.

There are a couple of things that have happened, just this week, that screamed "THAT'S IT! I AM DONE BEING FAT!"

1) my youngest is constantly touching my stomach and saying " I love your big fat belly" and while it is kinda cute...it is also very sad.

2) I am a size 18 now but dangerously pushing a size 20 and I simply REFUSE to go there. REFUSE.

3) I recently hit 205 pounds and it is way too much weight on my frame. At 31 years old, I should not be in as much pain as I am. Constant back and ankle pains which keeps me from being active with my kids. Just today I ran out of breath from bringing clothes up to the second floor Ridiculous. But yeah, mostly, it is my back and ankles being in so much pain that really lit a fire under my butt. It is very scary, knowing that I am slowly, and painfully killing myself, basically.

lizziep
07-09-2008, 02:31 AM
I turn down invitations to do things on the basis that "i'm too fat to do THAT" I refuse to go to buffets of any kind, to get on a bicycle, and recently a friend of mine started teaching belly dance and wanted to know if i wanted to come to her class. **** no! Maybe if I lost 100 lbs... she was disappointed in me, I know. But I couldn't imagine myself belly dancing. Being around small women intimidates me.
I realized that my being the "funny fat chick" isn't funny, my friends are sick of it, and I rely on it to avoid having to actually relate to people on a personal level.
My clothes don't fit. I feel disgusting and bloated.
I am just not the person that I was supposed to be... and coming closer to age 30 and not having achieved so many goals I had for myself, and constantly using my weight as an excuse is just ridiculous.
Today was the straw though - I had to walk to the bus stop which is about 3 blocks away from my house and I was winded when I got there. Un-freaking-acceptable!

taragettingthin
07-09-2008, 03:16 AM
What made you decide to lose weight?

For me, I got extremely frustrated one evening when getting ready for a party. I kept trying on outfit, after outfit, after outfit, and I was happy with nothing. I suddenly came to the realization (and this is going to sound ridiculous, because it is) that I looked fat in everything because I am fat. No clothing item I owned was going to change that fact!

I'd dieted on and off before that day, but never with the mindset I have now. It was like I saw myself for the first time that day and decided I didn't want to be obese anymore.

I'm curious to see all of the reasons we are here to lose weight!

Are you sure you are not talking about my reason? That's exactly what happened with me. I tried one outfit after outfit and no matter what I tried, I wasn't happy with the way it looked. All of them used to fit me good but weight crept up on me and before I knew, things were just getting too tight and not looking good at all. I've done Chinese medicine and acupuncture, lost weight from stress (I can't eat when I am stressed out), Weight Watchers...and gained all back. This time, I'm working out, eating healthier, and losing weight and gaining muscle and strength. :)

sm177
07-09-2008, 11:18 AM
looking at pictures of myself. i thought i looked good but in pictures i had fat rolls and my tummy was hanging over my pants

BrandNewJen
07-09-2008, 01:51 PM
I realized that my being the "funny fat chick" isn't funny, my friends are sick of it, and I rely on it to avoid having to actually relate to people on a personal level.

Wow--- right on the mark--- I never realized it before, but yeah, I'm definitely overcompensating by being over the top funny.... to the point of being obnoxious...

mimzy
07-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Just to add my straw to this thread.....

Two things made me decide enough is enough. First, the zip exploding on the only pair of jeans I had left that I could squeeze into, meaning I had to buy another pair a good two sizes bigger. I'd always refused up until that point to buy bigger clothes because I didn't want to get comfortable at a bigger size and not bother to lose the extra weight.

The second thing was my sister (who's 7 inches taller than me, weighs a good deal less and models for a living) sweetly offering to lend me her teeny tiny jeans when she knew full well I couldn't even have forced an ankle into them :mad:

I have to admit, it's the second thing that motivates me most! There's nothing like a good bit of sisterly rivalry :p

Jonsgurl0531
07-10-2008, 11:54 PM
Well it was a number of things really I started semi dieting when my size 24 pants were feeling alittle snug... and my scale said 230 pounds!... (I am 5 1 1/4...)
But I got really serious when I was talking to my sister and she told me I looked bigger than my mom..

That was it I was not going to be my mom.. and have sleep apnea and diabetes.. when I am 40 I will NOT have a mild heart attack...

So here I am currently 172 YAY and dropping.

tofuhead
07-11-2008, 01:29 AM
My breaking point was a visit to the doctor, where my weight had stayed the same, but he told me that my diabetes was completely out of control and I would be on insulin within a year if I didn't change things. He did put me on more meds, but they are keeping my diabetes under control now so that I can exercise. In the past, my goal had been to get completely off the meds, but I never did anything about it. Now, I am doing something about it because I don't want to be on insulin or meds.

At a recent visit, he was totally impressed with my changes in diet and exercise and commented several times that I had lost weight. (It wasn't lot, but it was enough that he was impressed.) :cb: