Weight Loss Support - You look great, what are you doing?

kittycat40
06-18-2008, 12:37 PM
I've been hearing this quite a bit lately. And it does feel good.
But one woman, today, really made me stop and reflect.
The opening question/statement followed by, "pills, right??"

And my answer, as usual, was "the same ol'... watching what I eat and exercise." Prefaced with a NO, ...

Now, I'm sitting here thinking that in the past I have used pills, prescription and otc, but was unable to lose or if successful with loss, unable to maintain.

And I am happy to say NO, not pills. :p

This way is a much longer term solution. :carrot:
I will say it now... I've changed my way of eating. And found a group of chicks who are helping me to see it through :hug:.

KLK
06-18-2008, 12:53 PM
Whenever someone comments that I look good or that I lost a few pounds, but does it in a snarky "You MUST be taking drugs!" kind of a way, I usually say something like: "No, I'm just on this great diet. I don't eat anything, at all, all day, and if I feel like I'm going to faint, I just eat a cube of cheese." (it's from that movie "The Devil Wears Prada").

srmb60
06-18-2008, 12:59 PM
People are pretty disappointed when you say you count calories.

mandalinn82
06-18-2008, 01:04 PM
People do get pretty disappointed when you say "eating less and exercising". I always wonder what they expected to hear instead.

midwife
06-18-2008, 01:11 PM
Yea Kitty! I am so proud of you! :carrot: I know you have been working hard, running running running!! The reality is that weight loss is at once so simple and yet so hard. There are no magic tricks. Our bodies crave healthy food in proper portions and thrive on movement. If we take care of our bodies, they will take care of us. I'm so glad you're here on 3FC!

KLK, I love that movie and that quote cracks me up. Along with, "I am one stomach flu away from my goal weight." (approx!)

It is interesting what our weight loss reveals about ourselves, and even more, about other people. I have seen support and jealousy from random places I would have not predicted.

Eat less, move more, repeat....

ars
06-18-2008, 01:46 PM
Someone I know lost 40 pounds fast using the WW program, diuretics and laxatives. They are off WW now, but still addicted to the diuretics and laxatives. Seeing what these pills are doing to her after being on them over a year is enough to steer anyone clear of them!

kittycat40
06-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Yea Kitty! I am so proud of you! :carrot: I know you have been working hard, running running running!!
KLK, I love that movie and that quote cracks me up. Along with, "I am one stomach flu away from my goal weight." (approx!)

Eat less, move more, repeat....

Yup, doing my bst to run run run.
Saw Devil wears Prada 2x in the last week!! :D

3fc!!! :hug: :carrot:

thanks chicks!!

WarMaiden
06-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Tell them, "Yes, it was pills."

Then offer to sell them some.

Take their money.

Go buy some of those gelatin capsules that you can fill up--I think you can get these at health food stores.

Insert a tiny piece of paper on which is printed, "Eat less and exercise more" into each capsule.

Deliver the order to your waiting customer.

Maybe then they'll get the message :D

midwife
06-18-2008, 01:56 PM
:lol: I love it, Sarah!!

KateB
06-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Yesterday the receptionist at my dental office was overwhelmed with my weightloss. I have seen her a couple times at the gym. She asked iif it was all due to exercise or if I was on a "really strict diet". I said, "I exercise about 5 times a week, I am counting calories, but nothing I would consider 'really strict'. I focus more on what I SHOULD eat rather than what I SHOULDN'T." Then she said, "About how many calories do you eat a day, 1000-1,100??" It made me laugh a little bit and I replied, " I am not starving that is for sure!! I eat about 1600 calories a day. I just make sure those calories come from healthy foods and not refined sugars and empty carbs."

I swear the woman looked like I just told her there was no Santa Clause.

Mango683
06-18-2008, 02:03 PM
I do love people's faces when you tell them "just watching what I eat and exercising" like it's some miracle breakthrough. Sure, I want to add "an incredible amount of self discipline, control, and constant daily struggles with food," but I don't really want to scare them.

kittycat40
06-18-2008, 02:27 PM
Tell them, "Yes, it was pills."

Then offer to sell them some.

Take their money.

Go buy some of those gelatin capsules that you can fill up--I think you can get these at health food stores.

Insert a tiny piece of paper on which is printed, "Eat less and exercise more" into each capsule.

Deliver the order to your waiting customer.

Maybe then they'll get the message :D

Yesyes, very good plan! And financially savvy too! I'll start an MLM business based on paper inside gelatin outside capsules. LOVE IT!! :cool:

PleaseLuise
06-18-2008, 02:28 PM
Has anyone ever heard this story:

A renown pianist-composer, is said to have responded to a lady who remarked “I would give my life to play like that,” - “madam, I have.”

People keep looking for someone to tell them it won't take time, discipline and sacrifice.

PhotoChick
06-18-2008, 02:51 PM
People do get pretty disappointed when you say "eating less and exercising". I always wonder what they expected to hear instead.
Yep. It cracks me up when people ask me "what did you do?" ...

Um. I ate less. I exercised.

But they all want to hear "oh I took these pills and the weight just melted off" or "oh, I tried this great diet from a book I bought online and it was a miracle".

And they look so *shocked* to hear that it was just eating right and exercising.

People are just strange! :)

Kofarq
06-18-2008, 03:08 PM
They're disappointed that it wasn't some dramatic VooDoo, drug-induced, insert-can-opener-here, kind of thing. They want to hear anything other than what common sense tells them. Which is what we have all been doing.

rockstar87
06-18-2008, 03:50 PM
I think people are disappointed when you say "eat right and exercise" because it's working...and they don't want to do it. They're probably hoping you'll have some miracle solution that doesn't involve counting calories or breaking a sweat.

It's not our fault they're looking for an easy way out :P

WarMaiden
06-18-2008, 04:05 PM
Can't blame them. I'd take the easy way out if there was one. Wouldn't we all? But alas, there's no such thing as being able to eat your cake and NOT eat it, too.

kittycat40
06-18-2008, 04:25 PM
to be completely honest... I attribute my success to you gals!! :)

Glory87
06-18-2008, 04:29 PM
It's simple "eat less bad foods, eat more good foods, exercise" but it's HARD too - what do I do if my friends go to get pizza, what if I don't have time to stop by the grocery store to buy something for breakfast in the morning, how do I turn down pie at my mom's house, how can I make time for exercise, and the thousands of other questions.

Basically, most of us have said "we are going to check out of the American food culture. We're going to cook more, we're going to pack more lunches, make good food choices, and we're going to be KNOWLEDGEABLE about portion sizes, nutritional info, how wheat bread is different than whole wheat bread and just how exactly peanut butter companies can say they have 0% transfat when the label clearly says it includes partially hydrogenated oil."

It is hard to voluntarily get off the "food as convenience" ride that is our food culture.

It's much EASIER to think "what if I just eat 1000 calories a day for 2 months, lose weight and then stop dieting and eat whatever I want like a normal person again."

It's much harder to think "what permament changes can I make so I can live as a healthy and slender woman for my life"

midwife
06-18-2008, 04:44 PM
Basically, most of us have said "we are going to check out of the American food culture. "

Quoted for truth.

WarMaiden
06-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Basically, most of us have said "we are going to check out of the American food culture..."

Totally true. And it really is hard to do. It takes a lot of thinking, research, planning, reading...wow. I don't consider myself or my family "out" of that culture yet, even, and just what I've done so far has been immensely hard. It's like trying to get out of a black hole.

gailr42
06-18-2008, 05:22 PM
Sometimes people at my work see something that I have brought for lunch. They say, "Oh, how delicious etc that looks!". When I tell them it is good and healthful their eyes sort of glaze over...I don't really know exactly what triggered me to "check out of the American food culture", so I guess I can't expect others to be as enthusiastic as I am.

Ija
06-18-2008, 05:30 PM
I have a hard time answering this question.

Although my new lifestyle can be described (in a nutshell) as eating healthy and being more active, simply saying "diet and exercise" doesn't adequately describe what I'm doing. How do I tell a person in one sentence or less that I had to do a lot of research to learn what it means to eat healthy, change my environment to foster healthy choices, find ways to deal with stress and anxiety that don't involve brownies, stop eating mindlessly, regularly come up with new food ideas so that I don't get bored, find encouragement through online resources like 3FC, track my calories and nutrients on Fitday, plan ahead for every meal out, learn to stop beating myself up when I get off-track, develop persistence in the face of inevitable plateaus, break old vending machine habits, and restructure my thinking so that I approach food as a friend and not a frienemy.

How do I say all of that?

I don't. I usually just go with "diet and exercise," and I feel like I'm lying to everyone.

WarMaiden
06-18-2008, 05:52 PM
I had to do a lot of research to learn what it means to eat healthy, change my environment to foster healthy choices, find ways to deal with stress and anxiety that don't involve brownies, stop eating mindlessly, regularly come up with new food ideas so that I don't get bored, find encouragement through online resources like 3FC, track my calories and nutrients on Fitday, plan ahead for every meal out, learn to stop beating myself up when I get off-track, develop persistence in the face of inevitable plateaus, break old vending machine habits, and restructure my thinking so that I approach food as a friend and not a frienemy.

Technically, that WAS just one sentence :D

Maybe print it on business cards and hand one over when the question gets asked? ;)

junebug41
06-18-2008, 06:05 PM
I have a hard time answering this question.

Although my new lifestyle can be described (in a nutshell) as eating healthy and being more active, simply saying "diet and exercise" doesn't adequately describe what I'm doing. How do I tell a person in one sentence or less that I had to do a lot of research to learn what it means to eat healthy, change my environment to foster healthy choices, find ways to deal with stress and anxiety that don't involve brownies, stop eating mindlessly, regularly come up with new food ideas so that I don't get bored, find encouragement through online resources like 3FC, track my calories and nutrients on Fitday, plan ahead for every meal out, learn to stop beating myself up when I get off-track, develop persistence in the face of inevitable plateaus, break old vending machine habits, and restructure my thinking so that I approach food as a friend and not a frienemy.

How do I say all of that?

I don't. I usually just go with "diet and exercise," and I feel like I'm lying to everyone.

That's exactly how I feel. I get stumped because I just don't know where to begin. I think part of that is tied into what Glory said about tuning out of the American food culture. When someone says to you, "You mean you don't eat fast food, like, ever???" and assumes you to be the unhappiest person in the world like you're really missing out on life for not eating fast food.. where on earth do you go from there?

full of grace
06-18-2008, 06:19 PM
Has anyone ever heard this story:

A renown pianist-composer, is said to have responded to a lady who remarked “I would give my life to play like that,” - “madam, I have.”

People keep looking for someone to tell them it won't take time, discipline and sacrifice.

LOVE it!!!!!! :carrot:

preetyladyserenity
06-18-2008, 06:48 PM
Ok I have this weird story don't know how many people will see its hilarity, but it is way hilarious for the Cypriot mind. Ok 11 years ago in little Cyprus the first McDonald restaurant opened (how old is McDonalds is in America by the way?)

Anyway kids were going there like crazy (new food in town, let's try it) and nutritionists in Cyprus were quite apprehensive, talking to us kids about the benefits of the Mediterranean diet and how fast food was a junk (and no offense to McDonald they kept emphasizing it when all the other fast foods joimned KFC, PIZZA HUT, you name it).

In my school we had this PE instructor berating against fast-food culture where he goes

PE: And as for that MADCONAN!!!

Kids: It's McDonalds sir.

PE: Yeah, him. Don't go to that farmer's place

He knew the farmer from the song but not the name. I still laugh every time I think of his passion against dear old 'Mad Conan!"