Old 06-16-2008, 06:23 AM   #1  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Smile Atkins Angels Chatting 6/16 - 6/22

Good Morning Angels!!
Its a new week. Its almost Summer. What are your goals???
Have a great week ladies!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:02 PM   #2  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

Height: 5'6"

My goal is to slug down a protein shake when I wake up no matter how NOT hungry I am - and to also stop with the before bed eat a thon when I get off work.

Loving my Optimisitic Monday Vibe!
aud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:46 AM   #3  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Hi Kim & AUD....
I am back to Atkins after being diagnosed with Diabetes. I know the first 5 weeks are very tough for me so I will probably be here a lot for support. I have been on these boards since 1999 - that's a long time of being very unhappy with my weight. It's really depressing so I am NOT going to dwell on it.

My first child was born 12 years ago on Wed. We took all 3 kids out to dinner to celebrate and I came home and told everyone Mommy is not going to be pleasant for the next 2 weeks - . I woke up on Thursday and am following Atkins Induction. Maybe by her 13th birthday my behind won't be hanging over the chair of wherever we take her to dinner.

Kim your success is so encouraging - GREAT JOB!!! I'm sure you must feel like and entirely different person. I can't wait to feel better too!
Nice to meet everyone here.
Kim
Kim in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:45 AM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Welcome back Kim

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:09 PM   #5  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Leenie... 11 THOUSAND POSTS?????
I saw that last night before bed and I thought - oh my I've missed so much!!!!

It's great to be back (I have to change my avatar since that baby is no longer the baby...she is 6 and the older daughter is 12!!!!) I can't believe it's only my 3rd day and even though I have a real short temper today (not just induction) - I already FEEL better. If I wasn't so stubborn I might have felt better a long time ago. I've tried so many other plans - Nothing works for me except Atkins.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:16 PM   #6  
aud
lc lifestyle

Time DOES fly doesn't it? My "baby" will be 11 in October - but I still call her "Baby." (Yeah - years of therapy in her future!) Hiya and nice to meetcha another kimnj! Lucky I call "other kim" "JG" - on the Board (AND in my head) so no confusion!

I've been here awhile too . . . but have continued to roller coaster even tho' I know Atkins IS the plan for me. I'm also having health issues (water retention) but just found out yesterday that it's NOT congestive heart failure OR heart disease! I'm thinking its just my ginormous weight?

I'll be around allthis weekend - we can Induction chat - I'm once again on Day 1!
Old 06-21-2008, 03:28 PM   #7  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Oh my sister went into congestive heart failure when she delivered her baby last year. It was VERY frightening so I'm glad you don't have it. Gee you think Atkins is restrictive- her approved foods was awful!!!!

I read in my Atkins Vita-Nutrient Solutions book last night that the supplement Taurine (1500 - 3000mg) is to be taken daily to help with water retention. I ordered some last night from Vita Cost so I'll let you know how it works. I always retain water in my legs and feet in July and August - hate it! I don't really eat many salty foods either so I know it's my weight.

Have a great day -Kim

Last edited by Kim in NJ; 06-21-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:50 PM   #8  
aud
lc lifestyle

My Mom suffered with CHF for years . . . I went thru toxemia and pre-eclampsia giving birth to the "Baby" - stroke level sky rocketing BP during the last weeks/during birth . . . but returned to my usual low bp readings afterwards . . . I thought for sure all of the above was related asI went thru all these heart/blood tests . . . but apparently not.

It's scorching hot here already and I'm starting to retain again today . . . I'm taking prescription furosemide and potassium - but good to know info from Atkins Nutritionals - Tx.

Afraid to go for my walk til I pee about 17 times now! Oooops TMI?

I see that we're about the same height and weight NJKim . . . I'm glad to have a bud in Induction right now!

I'm night shift so just had breakky - crumbled pork sausage . . . diced tomato sprinkled with mozzarella melted. YUM! Where else can we eat so gooood???

Old 06-21-2008, 10:09 PM   #9  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Wink

OK changed my avatar... can I go back to the one from 5 years ago? - Eh, I'm thinking when I lose 30 lbs - I will take another pic and then it will be encouraging.

So far so good today. Not really wanting to eat the house - and I even had to make sweet stuff for church tomorrow.

Off to put the oldest to bed.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:33 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

Hopefully no one minds if I post here since I'm on a variation of Atkins.

My goal for the week is to make sure I eat breakfast every morning regardless of how not hungry I am, to make sure I drink enough water, and to not miss a single day of exercise.
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 02:12 AM   #11  
It's my time to shine...

S/C/G: 234/225/145

Height: 5'5"

Unhappy

I fully intend to start this thing on Monday and stick with it. I did it years ago and it worked rather well. I know it's going to be hard, being that I cook not only for myself, but for 3 skinnies that are always hungry! My goal is to make it through induction without any slip-ups! Peace!
RissaIsAFatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:43 AM   #12  
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

Hey there! I was wondering if you guys could help me update some info? I wandered over to the South Beach forum a few days ago out of curiosity as to how SB differs from Atkins, and I found that their sticky on comparing the two plans was distinctly misleading.

I mentioned this rather sheepishly on their chat thread, and they checked it out and agreed that it should be corrected, and asked if I could help? But I figured that I'd be better off asking you folks (especially our resident Atkins Yoda, JG) for help on this one. Here's what it used to say:

1) Atkins - does not make a distinction about the type of FATS consumed--eat as much bacon you want! Eat all the trans and sat fats (that are bad fer cholesterol) until you are sated..
SBD - Trans and Sat Fats are discussed in the book and are to be kept at a minimum . "Good Unsat Mono and Poly fat consumption are encouraged within reason. (There is a guide to limits -see the Stickies section.)

2)CARBS: Atkins - There is no distinction between Carb types and the effect of them on your health. Atkins limits all carbs including vegetables and whole grains. In general, Atkins provides for very limited vegetables and carbs in general and Whole grains are not discussed at all. The focus is on total grams of carbs..

SB encourages consumption good carbs are part of the healthy eating plan (Pretty much unlimited green veggies and legumes, --and as you move to Phase 2, adding more veggies... (in general root vegetables are limited as well as corn) and adding in Whole grains like sourdough, wheat, oats--(essentially unprocessed/whole foods) .

3) Southbeach "focus" on lower GI load foods to stabilize body production of insulin in order to control and maintain a level of insulin in your body -doing so, you do not have the sugar spikes in your blood that contribute to feeling "false" hunger..
Atkins: maintain very low carb intake to promote the body release of fat to use as fuel and place you in ketosis.

4) Southbeach: Discusses and promotes eating low sat fat lean cuts of meat..
Atkins: no discussion on meat types

The staples of Atkins: eggs, cheese, meat -- minimal grains,fruits and veggies

South Beach: eggs. LF cheese and meats, whole grains, most fruits and veggies.

All diets work if you stick with them.. the thing is :what can you adapt to as a lifestyle going forward? What can you do long term?Everybody is different.. What "works best" is what you can do for a life time..

I'm not trying to say 'Go Atkins! Choose Atkins!' obviously, because I know that some people find Atkins too damn intense to stick with, and that they're more likely to follow and stick to a slightly more moderate plan. I'd just like to get a comprehensive and accurate comparison of the key points of the 2 diets. Anyone out there fancy helping me draft something?
broadabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:25 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

That sounds like something JerseyGyrl would be excellent for. I'd offer to help but I've not been around very long yet.
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:34 AM   #14  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadabroad View Post

[I]1) Atkins - does not make a distinction about the type of FATS consumed--eat as much bacon you want! Eat all the trans and sat fats (that are bad fer cholesterol) until you are sated..
SBD - Trans and Sat Fats are discussed in the book and are to be kept at a minimum . "Good Unsat Mono and Poly fat consumption are encouraged within reason. (There is a guide to limits -see the Stickies section.)

2)CARBS: Atkins - There is no distinction between Carb types and the effect of them on your health. Atkins limits all carbs including vegetables and whole grains. In general, Atkins provides for very limited vegetables and carbs in general and Whole grains are not discussed at all. The focus is on total grams of carbs..

SB encourages consumption good carbs are part of the healthy eating plan (Pretty much unlimited green veggies and legumes, --and as you move to Phase 2, adding more veggies... (in general root vegetables are limited as well as corn) and adding in Whole grains like sourdough, wheat, oats--(essentially unprocessed/whole foods) .

3) Southbeach "focus" on lower GI load foods to stabilize body production of insulin in order to control and maintain a level of insulin in your body -doing so, you do not have the sugar spikes in your blood that contribute to feeling "false" hunger..
Atkins: maintain very low carb intake to promote the body release of fat to use as fuel and place you in ketosis.

4) Southbeach: Discusses and promotes eating low sat fat lean cuts of meat..
Atkins: no discussion on meat types

The staples of Atkins: eggs, cheese, meat -- minimal grains,fruits and veggies

South Beach: eggs. LF cheese and meats, whole grains, most fruits and veggies.
You girls sure give me a lot of credit..."resident Atkins Yoda" Ok, I'll try to explain the differences between Atkins & SB, the way I understand them

South Beach is an eating plan developed by Dr. Arthur Agatston, an MD with a practice in the South Beach area of Miami, hence the name. He is also Associate Professor of Internal Medicine at University of Miami. The basic philosophy of SB is eating "good carbs & good fats". So, what exactly does that mean?? According to Agatston, it means 6 meals/snacks a day that will balance blood levels of glucose, insulin, cholesterol and other coronary heart disease (CHD) markers. Agatston claims the diet is neither low carb nor low fat...but rather generally a high protein, high fiber, low carb and low animal fat diet. He developed the diet to help prediabetic and/or heart disease patients with high levels of (bad) cholesterol and triglycerides as well as glucose levels. Weight loss happened to be a side effect of this type of eating which is what prompted the writing up of the prescribed diet into the book. The main objective of the SB plan is to keep glucose and insulin levels even, and to lower (bad) cholesterol and triglycerides. Weight loss is the added benefit. Completely avoiding refined carbohydrates that are quickly absorbed and high on the glycemic index, and avoiding man-made trans fatty acids as well as saturated animal fats, is how this is achieved. No references are stated for the exclusion of saturated fats.
Eggs, fish, seafood, chicken or turkey breast, lean ham, nearly all vegetables and drinking lots of water is encouraged, as well as moderate amounts of nearly all fruits, nuts, other low fat meats, whole grain bread, pasta and rice, olive or canola oil and a glass of red wine a day. Any products containing sugar, fruit juices, potatoes, refined grains (bread, pasta, white rice), regular diary, fatter cuts of beef, poultry and pork, butter, and beer, are not permitted.

The plan is split into 3 "phases"...the 1st being the strictest & suggested being done for 2 weeks. If you cheat, it is also suggested you begin Phase 1 all over again. No fruit, alcohol or whole grain carbohydrate is allowed – only fish, eggs, lean meats, limited low fat diary and leafy vegetables are eaten – though no carbohydrates are counted.

The 2nd phase gradually adds fruit, nuts, whole grain products, red wine if desired. It is recommended to add 1 item at a time to see how your body reacts to it before adding more.

The 3rd phase (Maintenance) has no forbidden foods. You should be able to follow the principles that were learned in the plan for life in general, but exceptions are allowed.

A typical menu on SB is as follows:

Breakfast small glass vegetable juice, a vegetable quiche (based on eggs, spinach, onion, other vegetables and low fat cheese).
Midmorning snack: celery with low fat cheese
Lunch Large vegetable salad with shrimps or chicken breast
Snack low fat string cheese, nuts
Dinner Salmon with asparagus
Dessert/evening snack: low fat ricotta dessert with artificial sweetener and fruit

Because of the stress on glucose, timing can be important, fruit is allowed in the evening but not morning. Cheating is somewhat expected.

These are the allowed foods on SB:

BEEF Lean cuts, such as:

Eye of Round
Ground beef:· Extra Lean (96/4)· Lean (92/8)· Sirloin (90/10)
Pastrami, lean
Sirloin Steak
Tenderloin
Top Loin
Top Round

POULTRY, skinless

Cornish hen
Turkey bacon (2 slices per day)
Turkey sausage (low-fat, limit to once per week)
Turkey and chicken breast
SEAFOOD
All types of fish and shellfish

PORK

Boiled ham
Canadian bacon
Loin
Tenderloin
VEAL

Chop
Cutlet, leg
Top round
LAMB (Remove all visible fat)

Center Cut
Chop
Loin
LUNCHMEAT
Fat-free or low-fat only

MEAT SUBSTITUTES (SOY BASED)

Bacon - Limit to 2 slices per day
Burger - < 6 gms fat per 2-3 oz portion
Chicken Patties & Nuggets - < 6 gms fat per 2-3 oz portion
Hot Dogs - < 6 gms fat per 2-3 oz portion
Sausage Patties - Limit 1 patty per day
Seiten
Soy Crumbles - 1/4 cup (2 oz) suggested serving
Soy Nuts - 1/4 cup for a protein snack is suggested serving
Tempeh 1/4 cup suggested serving
Tofu All varieties, 1/2 cup suggested serving
Yuba (Bean Curd or Sheet)

CHEESE (FAT-FREE OR LOW-FAT)

American
Cheddar
Cottage cheese, 1-2% or fat-free
Cream cheese substitute, dairy-free
Feta
Mozzarella
Parmesan
Provolone
Ricotta
String
Swiss
EGGS
The use of whole eggs is not limited unless otherwise directed by your doctor. Use egg whites and egg substitute as desired.

MILK/DAIRY
(2 -3 cups allowed daily, including yogurt)

Low-fat milk (fat-free and 1%)
Fat-free 1/2 & 1/2 (less than 2 tablespoons)
Low-fat plain soy milk (4 grams of fat or less per serving)
1% or fat-free buttermilk
Fat-free plain yogurt

BEANS/LEGUMES
(Start with 1/3 - 1/2 cup serving)

Adzuki Beans
Black Beans
Black-eyed peas
Broad Beans
Butter Beans
Cannelloni Beans
Chickpeas or Garbanzo
Great Northern Beans
Italian Beans
Kidney Beans
Lentils
Lima Beans
Navy Beans
Pigeon Peas
Pinto Beans
Soy Beans
Split Peas
White Beans

VEGETABLES
(May use fresh, frozen or canned without added sugar)

Artichokes
Asparagus
Broccoli
Bok Choy
Brussels Sprouts
Cabbage
Capers
Cauliflower
Celery
Chayote
Chipotle
Collard Greens
Cucumbers
Eggplant
Fennel
Green Beans
Hearts of palm
Jicama
Kale
Leeks
Lettuce (All varieties)
Mushrooms (All varieties)
Mustard Greens
Nopales
Okra
Onions
Parsley
Peppers (All varieties)
Pickles - Dill or artificially sweetened
Radicchio
Radishes (All varieties)
Rhubarb
Sauerkraut
Scallions
Sea Vegetables
Snow peas
Spinach
Sprouts
Squash, Spaghetti
Squash, Summer· Yellow· Zucchini
Swiss Chard
Tomato
Tomato Juice
Turnip Greens
Vegetable Juice Cocktail
Water Chestnuts
Watercress
Wax Beans
Zucchini

NUTS AND SEEDS
(Limit to one serving per day as specified)

Almonds - 15 (Dry roasted recommended)
Brazil Nuts - 4
Cashews - 15 (Dry roasted recommended)
Flax Seed - 3 TBS (1 oz)
Macadamia - 8 (Dry roasted recommended)
Peanut Butter, Natural = 2 TBS
Peanuts, 20 small (May use dry roasted or boiled)
Pecans - 15 (Dry roasted recommended)
Pine Nuts (Pignolia) - 1 ounce
Pistachios - 30 (Dry roasted recommended)
Pumpkin Seeds - 3 TBS (1 oz)
Sesame Seeds - 3 TBS (1 oz)
Sunflower Seeds - 3 TBS (1 oz)
Walnuts - 15 (Dry roasted recommended)

FATS/OILS
The following monounsaturated oils are recommended to be consumed daily:

Oil, canola
Oil, olive
Other Oil Choices that may be chosen (Polyunsaturated or a blend of Monounsaturated):
Corn
Enova
Grapeseed
Peanut
Safflower
Sesame
Soybean
Sunflower

Other Fat Choices:

Avocado - 1/3 whole = 1 TBS oil
Guacamole - 1/2 cup = 1 TBS oil
Margarine - Chose those that do not contain Trans Fatty Acids such as Fleischmann's Premium Olive Oil or Smart Balance
Mayonnaise - Regular or Low Fat
Olives (Green or Ripe) 15 = 1/2 TBS
Salad Dressing - Use those < 3 gms sugar per serving

SPICES AND SEASONINGS

All spices that contain no added sugar
Broth
Espresso powder
Extracts (almond, vanilla, or others)
Horseradish sauce
I Can't Believe It's Not Butter! Spray
Lemon Juice
Lime Juice
Pepper (black, cayenne, red, white)
Salsa (check labels for added sugar)

Use the following toppings and sauces sparingly (check labels for added sugar and MSG)

Hot Sauce
Miso - 1/2 TBS
Shoyu - 1/2 TBS
Soy Sauce - 1/2 TBS
Steak Sauce - 1/2 TBS
Tamari
Worcestershire Sauce - 1 TBS
Whipped Topping (Light) - 2 TBS

SWEET TREATS
(Limit to 75 calories per day)

Candies, hard, sugar-free
Chocolate powder, no-added-sugar
Cocoa powder, baking type
Fudgsicles, no sugar added
Gelatin, sugar-free
Gum, sugar-free
Popsicles, sugar-free

Some Sugar Free Products may be made with sugar alcohols (isomalt, lactitol, mannitol, sorbitol or xylitol) and are permitted on the SBD. They may have associated side effects of GI distress (abdominal pain, diarrhea & gas) if consumed in excessive amounts.

SUGAR SUBSTITUTES

Acesulfame K
Fructose (needs to be counted as Sweet Treats, Caloric Limit)
Nutrasweet (Equal)
Saccharin (Sweet & Low)
Sucralose (Splenda)
Whey Low

BEVERAGES

Decaf Coffee and Tea
Diet, decaffeinated, sugar-free sodas and drinks
Herbal teas (peppermint, chamomile, etc.)
Milk (1% or fat-free) and soymilk (low-fat plain). See MILK/DAIRY.
Sugar-free powdered drink mixes
Vegetable Juice
Note: caffeinated coffee or diet sodas with caffeine added are allowed, but limited to 1 - 2 servings per day.

Foods to Avoid

BEEF

Brisket
Liver
Jerky
Prime rib
Other fatty cuts
Rib steaks

POULTRY

Chicken, wings and legs
Duck
Goose
Poultry products, processed
Turkey, dark meat (including wings and thighs)

PORK

Honey-baked ham
Pork rinds

VEAL

Breast

CHEESE

Brie
Edam
Nonreduced fat

VEGETABLES

Beets
Carrots
Corn
Green peas
Potatoes, white
Potatoes, sweet
Pumpkin
Winter squash
Yams

FRUIT
Avoid all fruits and fruit juices in Phase 1, including:

Apples
Apricots
Berries
Cantaloupe
Grapefruit
Peaches
Pears

STARCHES AND CARBS
Avoid all starchy food in Phase 1, including:

Bread, all types
Cereal
Croutons, all types
Matzo
Oatmeal
Rice, all types
Pasta, all types
Pastry and baked goods, all types

MILK/DAIRY

Ice cream
Milk, whole

MISCELLANEOUS
No regular ketchup or cocktail sauce
No pork rinds - too high in saturated fat
No jerky - too high in sugar content

BEVERAGES
Alcohol of any kind, including beer and wine

*SAMPLE MENU

BREAKFAST
Protein: Quantity is not limited
Vegetables: Minimum 1/2 cup
Fruit: None
Starch: None
Milk/Dairy: 2 - 3 cups allowed daily (including yogurt)
Fat: 1 tsp. mayonnaise or oil (optional)

SNACK
Snacks are required. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, or nuts/seeds.

LUNCH
Vegetables: Minimum 2 cups
Fat: 1 Tbsp. mayonnaise or oil

You are encouraged to include a serving of beans (1/3-1/2 cup) as part of your vegetables.

SNACK
Snacks are required. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, or nuts/seeds.

DINNER
Vegetables: Minimum 2 cups
Fat: 1 Tbsp. mayonnaise or oil

You are encouraged to include a serving of beans (1/3-1/2 cup) as part of your vegetables.

DESSERT
Desserts are optional. Enjoy a Sweet Treat or any of the snack choices.

BEVERAGES
Diet, decaffeinated, sugar-free drinks are not limited. You can enjoy caffeinated coffee or diet sodas with caffeine added, but limit to 1 - 2 servings per day.

Its certainly no secret that I'm an Atkins girl. The thoughts of low fat or fat free products (made with ingredients you can't even pronounce), no butter but, margarine is ok, anything containing sugar alcohols, as well as caffeine...make me wonder just how healthy this plan really is. And if this is not a low fat eating plan...then why the low fat & fat free products???

Eating fat does not cause heart disease...eating fat AND refined carbohydrates causes heart disease. Dr. Atkins knew this, so does Gary Taubes. Reading Good Calories Bad Calories...is quite an education!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 06-22-2008 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:29 AM   #15  
Larry's Angel

The more I think about this, the more I get! People are so misinformed about Atkins! They think we people on Atkins sit and eat lbs. of bacon, butter & red meat all day long! That simply isn't true. I urge anyone who has never taken the time to sit and read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution to take the time & just do it!! Educate yourself out of the total ignorance about the Atkins way of life. You might be pleasantly surprised!