Weight and Resistance Training - Lift and Chat: June 15 - 30, 2008

View Full Version : Lift and Chat: June 15 - 30, 2008

Mel
06-15-2008, 03:12 PM
Starting early...I really do know what day it is!

I'm leaving in a few minutes for 10 days of fun, fun fun! 5 days of a work related training course, then a visit with Meg, then on to help my dd move. I've got my stretchy bands packed, running shoes, and a body bar. Also (although it seemed crazy), the good dress that I have to wear in 13 days. I figure trying it on every night should keep me on the straight and narrow!

I hope to have internet access, but if not, have a GREAT WEEK!

:wave:

Mel

Meg
06-15-2008, 03:51 PM
In the meantime, everyone can help me plan Friday night dinner for Mel. :D Shall we be :angel:s or :devil:s?

Lydia227
06-15-2008, 05:40 PM
Meg, you already know the answer to that. If Mel is bringing her dress along to try on every night I have a feeling you would have to force feed her something that is not in her planned food for the day. Have fun!

sportmom
06-15-2008, 06:10 PM
DEVILS! And we want photographic proof!

Lydia, to your last post on the previous thread, I took the dd's to see KFPanda today too. Well, DH was a real trooper and took the dd's to see KFP while I skipped down the hall to see Sex and the City. HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT! If you liked the series you will not be disappointed. But it's a don't wear makeup/bring tissues kind of show, but well worth every tear. ANyone else seen it?

Afterward we took the girls to the cheesecake factory to get a slice each. It's new so they wanted to see it and it's adjacent to the theatre, conveniently. I don't really care for the food there, so it was fine with me that they had a long wait.

Still feeling well, still drinking lemon and water. Today's the one month date since the symptoms started from the last stone, and I had it out 2 weeks later. I realized the whole thing only last three weeks, but i have a new compassion for people in constant pain and illness. Unrelenting pain really does wipe you out. Glad it's over!

WaterRat
06-16-2008, 03:30 AM
:wave: Hi! No little kids wanting to see KFP here - thank goodness! :lol: I do want to see Sex and The City though. DH has gone fishing for a couple days, but not a convenient time for me - evening meetings. Sigh. I suppose, like most everything else, I'll end up seeing it on DVD. I also want to see Indiana Jones, and the special effects are so much better on the theatre screen.

Have fun Mel! I hope never to move again!

Lydia- sounds like a great workout day!

Weather reverted to cool and showery Friday night, and has had no change since. I can see the grass growing, but it's too wet to mow. At least some of our veggie seeds are sprouting.

Well, being on my own means I stay up later than I should. I'd better get to bed or I'll never be up at 5:30.....

srmb60
06-16-2008, 09:07 AM
Morning!

Pictures Meg and Mel! Pictures!

I'm on the hunt for a three day split, this morning. I'm working evenings this week so I'll be going to the gym without DH. I'd like to try a three day split with cardio after (each day). A change up for fun.

sportmom
06-16-2008, 09:42 AM
Pat, I agree, I haven't been to see a movie in 10 years, since before my oldest came along, but SATC was one I thought deserved to be seen on the big screen. As a treat, I found out theatres here offer below-matinee pricing on the first shows on Fri, Sat/Sun, so I got in for $6. I refuse to pay full retail rate, but now that I know how cheap it is, I plan to go see Mamma Mia this summer as well as the Nicholas Sparks movie coming out about the Outer Banks. Both of the previews were full of beautiful ocean scenery that just filled up the screen. I'm getting the book from the library to read before the movie release, which will probably ruin it for me, but maybe not.

:( Took a couple of bites of the cheesecake last nite. Paid for it between 2-3 this morning. UGH! Now I'm all sleepy and tired. :yawn:

denvertechchick
06-16-2008, 11:43 AM
Hi everyone!

Mel & Meg - hope you have a wonderful visit together!

Sportmom - glad you are feeling better. Chronic pain is a BFB - big fat bummer. I am just getting back into the swing of things after a back injury. It took too long, which is why I joined a gym with a huge pool. No excuses!

Jamsk8r - are you a roller-derby girl?

Mel, to answer your question - I don't know! I'm so embarrassed, you all are so huge (like Hans und Frans) and knowledgeable and I don't know! I am, however, going to pay for a training session and learn ALL of the machines at the gym. It's a university gym, and the athletes work out there, too, so they have pretty much one of everything. Except a steam room......

The leg press I use is not an incline press - it's really just horizontal. Some days I can do 310 but last week 255 was the number. I think I'm going to switch it up a bit and try the incline until I can get that trainer to teach me the weight room cages. Some of them are FreeMotion but there's some other mystery equipment, too.

Interesting article on knees in the Denver Post Fitness section today. I tried to post the link but it won't let me! :mad:

And check out my new avatar! I had to work hard for that. The weight is starting to come down, my clothes are fitting better, but really the biggest change is that everything seems so much easier than it used to! I love weight training!

midwife
06-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Hi Meg and Mel! Have a good time! I agree: pictures!

I'm glad you're feeling better, Sportmom.

Hey Denver, congrats on the 10 pounds!

Hi Susan, Pat & Lydia!

I wrote a novel in the maintainers forum about my trip to Vegas, but one thing I wanted to share that I didn't put in that post came from a speaker on teens and PCOS.

She said that as part of weight management for these girls, we should recommend weight-lifting as it will build both physical and emotional strength.
Yea!!!!

Have a good one!

Lydia227
06-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Hi Everyone:wave:

Wow. Busy day today. I had an awesome workout today. I really need to remember to lift first. It makes such a difference. Today I was able to add an additional ten pounds to my squat today. It was the first exercise I did after warm up and wow. What a difference. I really think I could have loaded thirty on each side but because that would be a new weight for me even preinjury I didn't want to be overzealous about it. Maybe in a couple of weeks. Anyway, needless to say I was pleased and excited about marking that one in my book. Too bad my pen ran out of ink. :dizzy: Wouldn't ya know. I also went up to thirty pound dumbbells with my deadlifts today too. Another new first. I'll see how I'm feeling tomorrow. I wanted to get in 45 minutes of cardio this morning but DS1 was shadowing me on the cardio equipment and after 15 minutes each on two different machines he was cooked.

Meg and Mel: Have a great time and please get photos. We could soon start a scrapbook here. :yes:

Fran: Glad you got to sneak away to see a grownup movie. It was playing right across the hall in our theatre too. I thought about it but decided against it. I didn't really didn't follow the series so there wasn't a burning desire just more curiosity.

Denver: Congratulation! All that hard work does pay off. More ways than one of course. Good luck with your training sessions and make certain that you also let them know you are interested in squatting with a freebar. Let us know how it goes. :yes:

Midwife: I'll have to look for your novel. Nice quote from your lecturer.

I have to make this a quick post. DS2 needs a playmate. NOW.

Have a great afternoon.

elisa822
06-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Happy Monday Everyone!

I am back and hopefully here to stay. :) I finally finished my accounting designation :carrot: with a presentation on Saturday morning. I don't find out the results of the final report & presentation until August but I'm hoping for the best and I'm going to try to relax until then.

This weekend was just crazy busy with lots of Fathers' Day activities so I didn't get to relax and I did get eat too much (if it's Monday, I must be fat ;)) but it's all back to normal toay. I managed a run at lunch which was great and I need to get back to some more regular lifting. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

Lydia - what plan are you following these days? I can't remember if you ever got on the NROLW bandwagon? Without a plan and having things written down, I tend to just spin around at the gym and not make the best use of my time.

Fran - you didn't say if you liked SATC! The reviews were mixed but my friends that have seen it (without me, stupid accounting work :mad:) loved it. I'm hoping my DH will take pity on me and we'll enjoy a nice double bill of SATC and Indiana Jones. Seems fair right?

Hi to everyone....I hope to be visiting more often from now on.

:D

jamsk8r
06-16-2008, 11:49 PM
Hi all!

Depalma, thanks for all the "helpful" alternatives to the back squat. (drat! ;))

It will still be a few days or maybe a week, I'm guessing, before I can grip normally with that hand, but I think it's knit up well enough now that I can get the old heart pumping (faster) without worrying about it.

Lydia, no stitches, that's why I had to baby it for a few days to keep it closed. Great idea on the scrapbook. A sticky with photos would be great inspiration for us newbs who still can't see our muscles, besides just putting faces (and muscles) to names on this board. You could start with posting the shots you and Mel took... :D

Mel and Meg, have a great visit! Is there a workout involved? If so, we'll need pictures of the buffness, of course!

Lydia227
06-17-2008, 07:47 AM
Hi Elisa:wave: I'm so glad that things are shifting back to a calmer pace for you. Congratulations upon the completion of your project. I'm not so sure I could relax for two months while awaiting results but maybe that's where the yoga comes in.

As far as workout plan, I am really doing my own thing. I have the NROLW which I have read extensively. I refer to it for exercise ideas but I am not following the plan as written. I do think it is a wonderful guide to women weightlifting. However during my workouts I felt that I needed to add or adjust the plan in order to feel the level of exertion I was doing. I probably just need to stick with it long enough to get beyond the first stage and I would feel differently about it. :lol: Honestly though if it were too difficult I would be balking that it was burning me out and I wouldn't complete the program for that reason. It's a fine line :dizzy: and that's why I have to make the adjustments for myself each workout.

It does help to have a plan in place when you walk into the gym to keep from spinning in circles. That happens to me too. I have a couple of programs in my notebook that guide me if I should sense this coming on. In the beginning it was useful because I wasn't aware of the all the exercise and equipment options. Currently it helps me to stay focused so that I don't feel overwhelmed by all the options I'm becoming aware of during my workouts.

Anyway, good to see you back. :hug: And enjoy your new found quiet time. :yoga:

sportmom
06-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Oh sorry Elisa, yes, I LOVED SATC!!!! All 2 hrs 15 minutes of it! WIth all the previews, I was in the theater for 2 hrs and 45 minutes! NEver looked at my watch once.

OK, so apparently "easing" back into exercise after surgery did not mean doing a cardio session and a fbwo session in the same day. :doh: DOH! At least I did spread the 2 workouts out by 6 hrs and 2 meals. It could be worse, at least I CAN go down the stairs and sit down. But I also started feeling virally-type "icky" in the middle of my fbwo yesterday and by bedtime had a fever that burned all nite, sore throat and muscle aches. So that could be making things much worse than they would be otherwise. Nice......cardio, fbwo, achey virus combination.

Mel
06-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Hi :wave: very short post from lovely Bucknell.

I'm in classes ALL day, but have managed to get to the university gym early in the am for cardio and lifting at night. I'll have to post a picture of the weight room; I think they last bought equipment in 1962! The dumbbells are old and rusty, the cable cross over is immobile, the benches are...gross. I'm unreasonably certain this is NOT the athletes' gym :lol3:

Last night I did a chest and back workout surrounded by 19 yr old guys doing way too heavy bench presses with appalling (and dangerous) form. They stared at me sideways. :)

Food is tough, but I'm on plan. I didn't bring the dress, but I'm not forgetting about it!

I have internet connection problems, so can only get on at the libarary sporadically. No email either!

Have a food one!

Meg
06-17-2008, 11:13 AM
:wave: Hi Mel! I was just thinking of emailing you, but no email so here's my question: what do you put in your coffee? And do you like sea bass? Now you have to tell the world! :lol:

When I was in the gym today, I looked in the mirror and realized that I can see daylight between my upper thighs again, so :carrot:! Today was back day but I was dragging after legs yesterday, so I did four sets of pullups, four sets of bent over BB rows, and four sets of FreeMotion lat pulldowns and said that's enough. 40 minutes of cardio done, 20 left to go after I clean the basement.

Mel
06-17-2008, 09:31 PM
coffee: I'm trying to wean myself back to black coffee but I really like milk or...gasp...1/2 & 1/2. I love sea bass.

Just did legs heavy with the 19 yr old (male) crowd. I feel old. And weird. but, hey, I'm strong :strong:

The connection here is very iffy--so I'm getting off before I lose it!

Mel

Lifeguard
06-17-2008, 10:44 PM
I'm finishing up my trip home & heading back to Costa Rica tomorrow. I am ready & not for the return but I am especially looking forward to getting back into a regular schedule again & seeing my mutts.

While I was home I've been going to my old gym & had a session with Sarah. So great to get some new stuff to do. She did a lot of pregnancy research on my behalf & was a real help.

Anyway she introduced me to the tabata method. I had read about it before but had not really tried & kind of thought it sounded a bit too hard. Well - I LOVE it!!! I've been using body weight squats - 20 secs (as many as I can) with 10 secs break for 12 sets. I must admit I was surprised to find I actually was a bit sore the next day - from body weight squats!!!

I am struggling accepting the weight gain. I feel it's too much, too fast. But I need to learn to deal with it I guess. Once he's here will I be preoccupied/ have my priorities shift enough to not be so obsessed with my weight?

Lydia227
06-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Just did legs heavy with the 19 yr old (male) crowd. I feel old. And weird. but, hey, I'm strong :strong: Mel

Mel! If those young lads are routinely benching with the poor form you described those boys will be lucky if they are still lifting when they are in their thirties. :D I feel weird when I am surrounded by the young bucks too. I am still willing to endure it on those days. I really believe this level of fitness is essential to my well being. Lifting for me is like a well kept secret that only too few have experienced but is a right for us all. We shouldn't have to walk around with atrophied body parts just because we've reached some sort of birthday milestone. If anyone else has a problem with it then I can kind of assume they aren't lifting with the same knowledge or life experience that I am drawing from and thats fine. So long as they share the weights and get off of the bench when I need it. :devil: I so admire you though for walking into a college level iron pit.

LG: So glad your sessions with your personal trainer were helpful! So you liked the tabata squats. Awesome. I can appreciate your concern with the weight gain. I remember that as well. I did not allow it to be a license to eat for me with either child however I still gained a crazy amount each time. The funny thing was I was even better with my diet the second time around. I initially weighed about twenty pounds less than with the first one. But my ending point at delivery was exactly the same as with the first child. I was bigger than a house. My sister though, she would have to stand sideways before you could maybe tell she was pregnant during her last trimester. :dunno: I think each of our bodies may have a blueprint for pregnancy weight gain that is individual for each of us.

After I had my first son I was really ready to begin exercising and dropping the weight. With the second one my head didn't really get around it for a few months. Fatigue with a newborn, waking up every two hours, and my body still healing from pregnancy, delivery, breastfeeding, and several cases of mastitis placed me more in the ranks of the walking dead for the first year. I'm sure this is not what you wanted to know and it may not be your experience. But just be certain that you give yourself plenty of time to rest and heal. You are so highly motivated though. I bet your will be back on your feet and in a good routine in a few months. :hug: Just listen to how you feel each day and do what you can. It does all fall into place after a while.

sportmom
06-18-2008, 01:23 PM
Lydia, it's not so much the 2nd baby is any different, it's than darn toddler wanting as much of you as before that's the drainer. ;)

Spoke too soon on the going down the stairs muscles. Just ran out quickly on an errand and it hurt to step down off the curb. For real. Yeah, I'm a real IronGirl. hehehe :rolleyes:

srmb60
06-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Legs lazy today.

Between the dentist (and accompanying antianxiolitic) and work in a hour or two. That's enough.

Lydia227
06-18-2008, 04:32 PM
Lydia, it's not so much the 2nd baby is any different, it's than darn toddler wanting as much of you as before that's the drainer. ;)

So very true! Just when you have the whole parenting thing down and you think your a pro...try two! :yikes: My friends say that once you hit three the fourth one barely makes a dent. I'm not about to even entertain the idea. :lol: In our case, DS1 began morning kindergarten the Friday before DS2 was born. That entire first year I was up two times a night and then up again at 6:00 to get DS1 ready for school. He was there for only two and half hours and I had to turn around and go get him again. IT WAS :crazy: (I walk my son to school) One morning as I was pushing the stroller home my neighbor called out to me to see if she could come sit with the baby just so that I could sleep. She's a wonderful neighbor. I think she could see how fatigued I was just from my weary walk back home at 8:00am.

Fran, you are an IronGirl. :hug: An IronGirl in repair. Here, this is just for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1nRwtI77KQ

It was my theme song while my hip healed the winter before last. :^: Seriously, my DH hates this song now. :rofl:

Susan: Hope you make through the rest of your day okay. :hug:

4rabbit
06-18-2008, 05:30 PM
Lydia -your story reminds me of when my kids were small. Ds had 1 night feeding for over a year, and I was working full time at the time. DD came when DS was 2, she needed 2 breastfeedings per night for 14 months, then 1 breastfeeding per night for another 4 months. I stopped working full time when dd was born, and worked 3 days for the first 6 months, 4 days after that. I was more or less sleeping on my feet. Both of them were lactose intolerant, and had frequent stomach problems as well. I remember it was a wonderfull time I had with both of my wonderfull babies, and I am thoroughly happy that they are now 13 and 16 and able to care for them selves to a great extend.

Ah, the golden days of the past...fortunately made place for the much better time of right now!

Rabbit

denvertechchick
06-18-2008, 05:41 PM
Hey all,

Susan, hope your teeth feel better soon!:D

Mel, have fun training at the U gym. The boys at my gym have terrible form, too.

Sea bass.... that reminds me of the movie Dumb & Dumber. There's a character named Sea Bass.

Elisa, congrats on your achievement!

Sportmom, how are you feeling today? Hopefully better? :getwell:

Jamsk8r, hope your hand is healed so you can lift again soon!

Last night I upped my tricep press weight to 35lbs. It's my weak spot for sure. I hate tricep training, but I know it's got to get better, right? It was doubly annoying - the sorority sisters had a very loud hen party in the weight room. It reminded me why I prefer later evenings as a training time!

Last night I dreamed about my danger food. You know - that one food that you just cannot control yourself over, and you eat like double your daily calories in one sitting? That one. I'm not listing it in case other people dream (nightmare!) about it, too. I'll put it on my list for my next free day.

Tonight is cardio, looking forward to heavy legs Thursday.....

susanje
06-18-2008, 07:16 PM
Hallo everyone! Checking in again! My life gets so busy that I forget the great support group that is here. Meg and Mel...have a wonderful time! I worked in Pittsburgh for most of the past year (client is FedEx) and it's a very cool place.

Hope to post regular workout and eating summaries!

sportmom
06-18-2008, 07:50 PM
Hi Susan, I'd been wondering where you slipped off to! Glad you're back - what's it been, like 2 years? I'm the old hrbabe, now sportmom.

Meg
06-18-2008, 08:15 PM
Hi Susan! Good to "see" you again! :hug:

Mel
06-19-2008, 08:58 AM
Susan!! :wave: Long time no see. I was thinking about all the people who have disappeared and thought of you. Glad you are still around. Life still insanely crazy?

I'm about to go into class. I did an outdoor run this morning and froze to death. There was frost! In June!!!!!

Mel

kaw
06-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Morning, LWL!

So, here's a first ... this morning at the lifters' gym, all of the gym patrons were women! As in, 100%! Of course, there were two of us and we have no lives, but still ... I'm more accustomed to about a 1:20 ratio of W:M!

Other than that, the day was ... uneventful. 3 sets of flat bench @135, 3 sets of weighted dips (BW+ 25 lbs), 3 sets of incline bench interspersed with "air squats" (fast for 30 seconds, then a 10 second hold at the bottom -- I guess that's tabata style), roman chair situps, and hanging leg raises interspersed. I earned my coffee, yeah.

Leaving Sunday for a 12-day work trip back to the Bay Area. Looking forward to going to my old stomping grounds, esp. the extremely well-equipped gym with it's convenient schedule. "My" gym seems to be in some bizzaro-world schedule in which it makes sense to be closed in the pre-work and post-work hours.

Be strong,
Kim

elisa822
06-19-2008, 08:57 PM
Ugh...bad food day. :( Not that I should be too surprised...I don't tend to do well at work potlucks. I really enjoy tasting everything, even if it's a small amount of each, it adds up. All that would be fine except that I usually save my poor eating habits for the weekend and it's only Thursday. I had a good workout week and I'll try to keep it together through the weekend (away, which can't help.)

Kim - enjoy your trip!

Meg/Mel - how's the visit - is it this weekend?

I'm off tomorrow and will be back Monday evening.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Lydia227
06-19-2008, 10:33 PM
Susan: It's great to see you back! :yes:

Kim: Life or no life that sounds like a great workout today. I'm stealing the air squats to get my heart rate up during legs tomorow. Thanks.

Elisa: Potlucks at work. Those are so difficult to get through. All the food, out all day...How do people jump over this hurdle. These are the things I fear could cause me to struggle when I rejoin the workforce. If the stress and having to juggle the hours in the day to get those two hours of exercise in aren't enough then there are things like potlucks, travel and business meetings. Okay, I'm putting the cart before the horse here. But really, I so admire all of you who are working full time and still able to make such a commitment to a healthful diet and intensional exercise. You all really are great role models even with the minor hurdles now and then. :yes:

So my biking friend has rescheduled for another day next week. The weather was great but there were other schedule restrictions so we're planning another evening. I skipped my am workout because I wanted to be certain I had the energy for a two hour ride this evening. Usually by 6:00pm I'm toast and it's all I can do to get through the next two hours. DH came home and still chased me out the door anyway. He reminded me that the gym is still open till 11:00pm and that there was plenty of time to still get something done. :s: Since I was a little surly the last two days (no workouts) he wasn't going to take no for an answer. Well, I hate it when he's right. I walked out onto the patio with my protein shake and sat down in the chair with a contentment I haven't felt in a few days. He gets major points for reading me so well. :D

Have a great evening everyone.

kaw
06-20-2008, 12:11 PM
Morning, LWL.

Last night my Small Town had its annual Solstice parade, which is part of the annual "Celebrate the Students' Departure" weekend. I've seen a lot of parades in my time, but never have I seen so many floats about recycling, composting, or organic farming. The Volvo Ballet -- Volvos decked out in tu-tus, "dancing" -- made an appearance this year, but alas the Subaru Samba was MIA. My guess is that next year it will be replaced by either the Prius Polka or the Smart-Car Swing Dancers. My favorite, though, was the He-Man Chain Saw Marching Band. Hey, I just bought a chain-saw: I wonder if next year I can audition for a spot!

Not much to report on the weight training front. Did a back workout this morning. Wide-grip pullups seem to be getting harder rather than easier. That's one of the bummers about being over goal weight: body weight exercises are more difficult! But, I had a new PR on deadlift, so the day wasn't all bad.

Have a great weekend everyone. Next time I check in, I'll be in sunny (I hope!) California...

Be strong,
Kim

Lifeguard
06-20-2008, 12:48 PM
Lydia - sounds like you got a good man there. It's so much nicer when you have the support at home.

Kim - ok that parade sounds like a hoot! PR in deadlift - woohoo! I love DL.

I just got back from my morning walk with the pups. 3 weeks off due to vacation (pups weren't with me) & wow does this mountain feel steeper! LOL. I'm excited 'cause DH & I have a pact to go to the gym Sat & Sun together this weekend. Usually I can only get him to agree to one & this was HIS idea!

Lydia227
06-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Hi LG: Nice to know you are back. Look at how far along you are in your pregnancy already! Your just about halfway there. That's probably another reason why that hill felt a little steeper to you too. Enjoy your couple workout this weekend.

Kim: Interesting parade. Volvos with tutus. Someone has too much time on their hands. :lol: Great job with the deadlifts this morning. :high:

My workout was a little lackluster. I'm just still pooped from last night's "Mom's gone mad" cardio session. I even ate well immediately after but workouts with less than 24 hours between them must be something to acclimate toward. Anyway, I did legs then about 30 minutes of cardio. Enough to work up a decent sweat but nothing to shout about. Now I have to pack the boys up for the pool and get out of here. I really just want to :faint: for a few hours.

WaterRat
06-20-2008, 03:10 PM
Kim - that sounds like our parade for Colony Days last weekend. The forest firefighters marched in formation; the local karate club did moves down the street; the vet's office marched (?) with dogs; and so forth. It was a ton of fun. Of course, it started to rain in mid-parade, so that made it interesting too.

Lydia - what a sweetie your DH is. Of course, he got a less surly wife out of the deal :lol:

I have nothing to add here. I've been very lax on lifting lately, and only marginally better on cardio. Sigh. I've just been feeling out of sorts for several weeks, and I think it's become a circular problem. I'm pretty sure I'd feel better with more exercise, and yet, I don't feel up to it. I need to just get that :drill: out there to make me go do it!

Welcome back LG. I'd agree that being 3 weeks more pg might add to the perceived steepness. :)

zinkemomx2
06-20-2008, 04:45 PM
I need to thank all you girls.:thanks:

I decided to rejoin the local gym this morning. I got there and got signed in and asked for help with the big girl weights. Thankfully, it was mid morning and other than 2 old guys there was only one big, buff dude so it wasn't to bad. I know I have TONS to learn. The owner was able to take a few minutes with me though and show me their free weight area. I did a few sets of bench presses (just the bar for today so 45lbs). Then she showed me the cables and I did 3 sets of triceps(40-60lbs), biceps(40-50lbs) and lateral pulldowns(40-60lbs). I don't feel to bad and know that I could have handled a little more weight probably. We start legs on Monday.

So once again, thanks for being such great inspiration. I think I need to go order a book or two. What else would you ladies suggest besides NROLW?

EofAZ
06-20-2008, 07:42 PM
Good Afternoon Ladies,

I donít jump in and post nearly enough but I just had to share this e-mail I received from my brother, in PA. (Iím in AZ so we donít see each other nearly enough) My niece and I chat online and share workout tips when we can and (after learning about it from this forum and buying a copy for myself) I recommended NROL4W to her. She just loves it and popped a line to me earlier this week to tell me how happy she was with the results sheís getting and how much she loves lifting heavy. Today I got the following e-mail from my brother, I just cracked up. If I know DB at 6í1Ē he and T probably got into a body building pose contest. (you might be a redneck if)

Anyway, I sent him an e-mail back, recommended NROL for him.

Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:32 PM
To: EofAZ
Subject: well

well I hope your satisfied! I don't know what book or what ever it was that you sent T, but now I have to wear a long sleeved shirt when ever I'm around her. there is no way I'll wear a short sleeved shirt around a girl with arms that are biger then my arms are.

Lydia227
06-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Zinkemomx2 Good for you in joining your gym today. And not only that but for asking for assistance right away with the free weights. :high: Are you a little sore now that evening is setting in? Sometimes it takes a little while for it to catch up with you. ;) Anyway, I hope you enjoy the process and have fun with leg day. You might even want to take a look at the book NROL4W before you meet with your trainer on Monday and make a list of the things you would like to learn. This would be helpful especially if you plan upon using the book to outline your workouts. Correct form is very important not only for targeting the muscles you wish to develop but also to prevent unnecessary injury.

Other books I like, :chin: there are some other lifting books but right now I would like to suggest one that I am currently reading. It has very little to do with lifting specifically but more about the motivation of the inner athlete who lives within all of us. It's called the Athlete's Way by Christopher Bergland. I actually want to share the book in another thread after I've read a more of it. However I couldn't resist sharing the title with you since you are on the beginning of a very exciting journey toward your desired level of fitness. This book has validated so many experiences I have had in my own journey up to this point. I found it at the library but I think I'm actually going to purchase it and mark it up with my trusty highlighter. :devil:

EofAZ:lol3: I LOVE THIS! What a funny thing for your DB to say. He must be so proud of her though really. ;) Maybe his daughter should have given him the NROL for Father's Day. :D

Pat: I hear you with the waning motivation. Maybe your are just running on reserve battery right now. Possible? :dunno: Anyway, once you have taken a breather you know you are right about it becoming like a cycle and the best thing is to just jump back in. Oh, and read the book I mentioned above. :chin: I bet you could get it from the *ahem* library. :D

sportmom
06-20-2008, 11:54 PM
Zinke, welcome to this forum, great to see you here Bluesister! Don't be surprised if you are in pain on tomorrow or Sunday. You're not dying - it's your muscles growing - quite the opposite of death. But I just went thru it again this week (happens any time after a break of several weeks or more), but I'm better already.

I'd recommend the original Body for Life, Body for Life for Women, or really anything in the 613 section of your library! ;) That's where I get most of my stuff.

Oh, and since I know we're both on that weigh-in thread, pls don't get discouraged if you don't get a loss as big as you expect on the next weigh-in or stay steady - it's your muscles growing and it's all good! You will catch up in a couple of weeks and even better, notice inches dropping and waistlines getting bigger in all your clothing! ;) I know some float in and out of this forum, feel like they're not losing pounds fast enough, and decide wl is not for them.

sportmom
06-21-2008, 12:01 AM
On another topic, can you all pls give me suggestions on some good quick recovery snacks? I realized just now that on my 2 wl workouts this week, I did not do a recovery snack, once bc I had to run to a meeting and the other time bc I had to run the kids to swimming. So here are my limitations -

a) can't do the #1 go-to protein smoothies, due to kidney stone history. Also nixes cooking a sweet potato while I lift, but it's also too hot now for that.
b) allergic to apples, so pls don't go the apple slices/pb route
c) yeah, I'm a mess here, but would a cup of yoplait non-fat yogurt suffice? remember, quick.
Thanks!

Got back on the wl bandwagon today when I realized mid-day I was able to get in and out of a chair without saying any expletives. First day no pain equals quickly runinng to the weight room to do it all over again! I slipped on my cardio today, but will cram tomorrow some extra. Did get alot of on my feet time tonite and active living by getting the pool set up tonite for tomorrow's meet.

Calling out to Nelie -- are you hiking in the parks during these gorgeous weather days???

WaterRat
06-21-2008, 02:36 AM
Oh, the library - why didn't I think of that! :frypan: :rofl: I'll see if we have it... If not, we probably soon will :D

Lydia, you're right. Mentally I'm running on reserves, plus physically I'm having a few issues that the doc is trying to track down. I've had an echo cardiogram to confirm some of his suspicions, and now he wants me to have a sleep study. I don't have a lot of sleep apnea symptoms, but it's more of a rule-out situation. Grrr. Good thing I have decent health insurance. I promise I will go to the gym tomorrow. DH is working at the recycle center, and the laundry will still be here when I get back. :)

Fran, glad to hear you're feeling better. I'd go for the NF yogurt. Often that's enough protein for me. Can you eat hard boiled eggs? Or just the whites? That's another quick one - provided you've thought ahead to boil them! Or if you want to mix carbs and protein, egg salad, light on the mayo in a half a pita....

It's 9:30 on a Friday night, and I'm ready to read my book, have a cup of tea, and head for bed.....

Depalma
06-21-2008, 03:44 AM
Books that I like:

1. Athletic Body in Balance - Gray Cook. Cook is a noted physical therapist and CSCS and the originator of the widely used functional movement screen. When you go to a good trainer orstrength coach, after sitting and discussing medical history, goals, etc, the first thing they will do is do a series of static and/or dynamic assessments to ascertain from your posture and movements any distortions or muscle imbalances. When training oneself, this step is often skipped and imbalances and distortions are magnified during training instead of corrected. Cook shows you how to do a movement screen on yourself as well as other testing and gives you some corrective measures to take based on your results.

2 Core Performance- Mark Verstegen and Pete Williams
Verstegen is the man behind Core Performance, Athletes Performance, and GoFit and has worked with many of the top athletes in the country. Core Performance is ne of the most complete training books on the market as it covers everything from movement prep, prehab, elasticity, strength, energy system developemnt, to regeneration. Movement prep and regeneration, in particular are two vital parts of a program that go ignored in most training books. If you have never done dynamic mobility drills or soft tissue work, this book is a great introduction.

3. Maximum Strength - Eric Cressey
Cressey is known as the "shoulder guy" and a corrective exercise guy for his many excellent articles on T-Nation and elsewhere like "Shoulder Savers," "Neanderthal No More," etc on getting and keeping the trainee healthy. However, he also knows strength. Cressey has held powerlifting records on the state, national, and world levels. He has shown through his personal experience that you don't have to be huge to move huge weights as he has deadlifted over 600 lbs competing in the 165lb category. Maximum Strength, much like Core Performance, shows you the total package. The book shows you how to do a wide array of dynamic mobility drills as well as showing you how to use both the foam roller and a tennis ball/lacrosse ball for soft tissue work. The book also includes two dynamic warmup templates to follow. The book is a 16 week program with specific exercises listed and demonstrated. However the principles behind the program, such as Workload modification are explained well, so that the reader will be well prepared to go out on his own after the 16 week program is completed. In fact, the chapter entitiled "Maximum Strength for Life" is specifically for this purpose. The only reason I would recommend Core Performance before this book is because Maximum Strength requires a bit more of a training age before the trainee is ready for this book. For someone with a few years under their belt, in my opinion, there is no better book on the market than this one. In the meantime, if you have not read all of Cressey's articles (and those by Mike Robertson and Tony Gentilcore as well) over at T-Nation, save your book money and read the free gems first.

4. Power Training- Robert Dos Remedios
Coach Dos is the Strength and Conditioning Coach at College of the Canyons in California. He is a former NSCA Strength Coach of the Year and a frequent collaborator on projects with Alwyn Cosgrove (most recently the Metabolic Acceleration DVD). Power Training gives you the nuts and bolts of program design. It gives you different goal specific templates to follow along with menus of exercises to choose from. It is a great resource for those who are not ready to design their own programs from scratch but need something a bit more personal than a program designed for a general audience. This bridges that gap.

Others that are also good and worthy of consideration:
New Rules of Lifting- Alwyn Cosgrove and Lou Schuler
Functional Training for Sport - Mike Boyle
Muscle Revolution - Chad Waterbury
Starting Strength - Mark Rippetoe
Practical Programming - Mark Rippetoe

srmb60
06-21-2008, 06:41 AM
Morning!

Yesterday was back and biceps. Dh's new routine is quite long so I've switched to a three day split with cardio after. I like it sooo much better.
I don't think I've ever appreciated a full body workout. I just feel that I can't 'concentrate'. This way (3 days) I almost dream of my exercises the day before.
Now if I could just get my food under better control ... er ... my use of food.

Lydia227
06-21-2008, 08:32 AM
Fran: My first thought was :chin: well why doesn't she keep a protein drink in the car with her :doh: I swear I'm an idiot some days.

Pat's suggestion with eating hardboiled egg whites is great. I do that too. Egg whites are one of the protein sources that our bodies absorb rather efficiently for muscle repair. One egg white has like 17 calories, and a little over 3 grams of protein. I usually eat at least four with maybe some berries or orange slices for a carb.

Another idea may be to add a half cup of cottage cheese to your yogurt. I've been taking this to the pool with me for that 3:00pm rest period. The kids are chowing down on pretzels and I'm pretty happy with this. I also add a few blueberries, almond slices, and cinnamon.

I've also began adding Fage to my diet. It has 80 calories, 6g carbs, and 13g of protein. I also love the texture of it. Real yogurt in my opinion. Unfortunately, it's pricey. I find it in the whole foods section of my grocery for about 2.50 a serving. :yikes: It's something that I keep only a couple of in the fridge for my own guilty pleasure. I also add a little splenda, cinnamon and berries to it too. It's hard to cut that sweet tooth. :dizzy:

http://www.fageusa.com/home.html

Pat: I hope these issues are not serious. Reasons for cardiograms make me nervous. I'm glad you looking into this and taking good care of yourself in all ways. :hug:

Delpalma: Impressive list. I'm will need to refer back to this when I get a chance later this weekend. So much information, so little time. :dizzy:

SusanB: Glad to know that you are finding a routine that's fitting better for you. It takes a while to learn what will work with your schedule and how your body can respond to different routines within that schedule. After you have it all figured out, yep, it changes. Isn't wonderful to have a hobby that is so dynamic. It keeps us on your toes? :lol:

As far as the eating. It will fall into place. I don't want to minimize the frustration you may be feeling about it but really, just one thing at a time. My experience was when I made my workouts the priority the eating kind of fell into place for me as a close second. I had to get real comfortable with the workouts first. Soon you may be looking at foods as a source of fuel for your body to repair itself. One of the things I would ask myself in the very beginning is "Will this (fill in the blank) help me lift better tomorrow, give the the energy I need to run in the morning, or help me meet my bodyfat goal? If the answer was no then it was an easier decision to put it back down. (Maybe I need to go back to this too) ~sigh~ :lol:

nelie
06-21-2008, 08:54 AM
Lydia,

Have you ever tried straining yogurt yourself? Traditional way is with cheesecloth but coffee filters work too. Greek yogurt is really just 'strained' yogurt. Although all yogurts are slightly different in taste. All you'd need to do is buy regular plain yogurt, put a cheesecloth or coffee filter over a strainer over a bowl. Put the yogurt on top of the cheesecloth/coffee filter and let it sit overnight in the fridge.

zinkemomx2
06-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Are you a little sore now that evening is setting in? You might even want to take a look at the book NROL4W before you meet with your trainer on Monday Correct form is very important not only for targeting the muscles you wish to develop but also to prevent unnecessary injury. Yes, I am sore now. It's all good though. I can even feel it in my core and it feels great. :D I talked to my mom for a few minutes last night. She will probably be paying for the training sessions. I mentioned my birthday but will probably get them sooner. Another 3 weeks at the most.

I'd recommend the original Body for Life, Body for Life for Women, or really anything in the 613 section of your library! ;)

Oh, and since I know we're both on that weigh-in thread, pls don't get discouraged if you don't get a loss as big as you expect on the next weigh-in or stay steady - it's your muscles growing and it's all good!

I have decided I know longer care what the scale says. I don't care what my body fat is. I just want smaller clothes. I've been watching Nori and she is only 3/4" taller than I am but weighs 10 pounds more. I am wearing 22's and she is shrinking out of her 16's. Disgraceful I tell ya. (And yes, I know we are all different, blah blah.) I know strength training can help make that happen much faster than straight cardio.

I will be visiting the library on Monday to see if I can find some of the books mentioned. Maybe I'll do more than just lurk here from now on. :)

WaterRat
06-21-2008, 02:43 PM
I strain yogurt very successfully in a coffee filter. And I also mix yogurt and cottage cheese, Lydia. Helps the texture immensely! But I seem to remember that Fran doesn't like cottage cheese, and of course you couldn't leave it in the car in the summer. Ewwww.

It's 50ish and raining here this morning. DH is dressed in full rain gear - pants and hooded jacket - and working in the garden. Me - I went out, picked a few flowers, and came back inside like a sensible person. :lol: I did check my transplanted stuff I put in on Tuesday, and it's looking much happier - whew.

I'm going to the gym in a bit, after my breakfast digests. I've decided to go back to the Stage 1 of NRL4W. I was going to bike outdoors for cardio, but given the wetness, I think it's the elliptical - again.

So, that being said - I'm off to put the plan into action! :wave: see you all later.

PS - thanks for all the book recommendations DePalma, I'm printing the list.

sportmom
06-21-2008, 04:04 PM
Yeah, I do eat egg whites, but they really don't do much for me at all. And Pat, A+ for memory, I don't like cottage cheese (gag!), so I guess I'll stick with my yogurts (lite, fake sugar, hmm) and throw in an egg or two to toss it up. Get it, egg toss? lol

WaterRat
06-21-2008, 04:54 PM
Fran, how about some plain ff yogurt with fruit stirred in. If you use really ripe, sweet fruit, you won't need to add any sweetening....

denvertechchick
06-22-2008, 01:07 AM
Hey all,

I had a wonderful end to my first 5 weeks of BFL challenge. The scale is hardly budging, but in the last few days, my hips dropped two inches. TWO INCHES! I had to measure several times to be sure. So even though that scale isn't moving.... the inches are.

I never liked yogurt, but I have found a way to sneak it in. I use plain Greek yogurt as a dip base for my veggies! I like to use onion powder, cayenne, and a little garlic salt. I think I'm going to have to get a food processor before I can deal with cottage cheese. I know it's one of the best foods out there, but I just cannot cope with the texture. :barf: Maybe if I alter it, I can handle it? Suggestions?

zinkemomx2
06-22-2008, 02:01 PM
I think I'm going to have to get a food processor before I can deal with cottage cheese. I know it's one of the best foods out there, but I just cannot cope with the texture. :barf: Maybe if I alter it, I can handle it? Suggestions?I puree mine. That is the only way I can tolerate it.

susanje
06-22-2008, 02:08 PM
Thanks everyone! As some of you know I used to be very active on this forum and then had a major car accident and two surgeries in 2003. I've come on and off trying to get back to condition. I tend to roar back to gym, get injured and whimper out.

So after reinjuring myself and then dealing with migraines over the winter I am finally back and have been taking it VERY slow at the gym. My gym does not have a pool now and some of you may remember that I rehabbed in a pool, using pool weights, in 2003/2004.

So I've been working with braces and things like that. I have one bad knee, a sorta bad other knee, a bad back and a bad shoulder.

Today I was in the gym and used a knee brace (X factor with the patella hole) for cardio but wasn't sure if I should use it for leg presses.

If anyone has any thoughts/suggestions around using knee braces or even recommend another kind, I would be most grateful.

Any suggestions for back / shoulder help would also be appreciated. I am so determined to NOT get re-injured this time!!!

Thanks again!

susanje
06-22-2008, 02:11 PM
denvertechchick: I'm not sure if my BFL posts are still on this board (this board started out as a BFL board), BUT I did not lose until the 10th week. And then I dropped like 2 sizes. I know my transformation used to be over at Lean and Strong but that board is not very operative these days.

So stick with it even if you aren't losing much. It works!!

EDIT: I looked them up and they are all still here. If you put my name in the search box susanje all the old body for life posts come up...the 2001 posts are all about the losing and not losing.

Lydia227
06-22-2008, 02:31 PM
Straining Yogurt. Never occurred to me. Thanks for the tip Nelie and Pat.
Pat: I have to agree that dairy products in the car tend to go icky. I keep mine in a small soft cooler with ice packs when I head to the pool. It stays cool enough for a couple of hours without getting warm and runny.
However, I'm pretty certain that I'm the only one sitting on their towel eating "curds and whey." :lol:

Denver: How about that! Congratulations on the two inch lose. That's got to feel fantastic.

Yesterday was an excellent workout. Two and half hours. :goodvibes:

The rest of the afternoon was spent out of town in the middle of nowhere. I sat on the back porch watching twelve little boys ages 2 through 11 splash and play in the pool while three big dogs wove in between all of us "grownup" looking for handouts. It's an annual get together of friends from college. I'm so glad most of us were able to get a way to do this over the weekend. The plan was to camp outside with the kids but a rainstorm rolled in around 7:30pm and the campfire didn't happen. Some drove back to Columbus and some of us uncorked another bottle of wine and spent the night. DH and I opted for the second option. :faint: I'm really feeling it this afternoon. I think a nap in is order.

jamsk8r
06-22-2008, 03:58 PM
Hey all, I'll be back in the weight room tomorrow morning. Today, I'll enjoy my last day off, before I start kicking my own butt. The (cut) finger is healed on the outside, still a little swollen and tender inside, but I think I can workout without any worries there. We'll see how the old grip strength is when I get there.

Been losing weight like crazy this week, compared to how it's been lately. Since it's coming during this total lay-off from the workouts, I'm trying not to think that it could be my muscles shrinking away! I've been keeping active with the gardening this week, but that's about it. I'll just be relieved to get back to my workouts, and hopefully can keep from injuring anything else for a while!

Depalma
06-22-2008, 04:43 PM
denver, see if any of your local markets carry the Friendship brand. They make a whipped cottage cheese that is already blended for you.

Cottage cheese is my dessert food.

Some cottage cheese
Some Jello Pudding mix (many varieties)
Some Davinci Sugar Free Syrup (many varieties)
Some canned pumpkin or frozen cherries, or berries
Maybe some chopped almonds, walnuts, or pecans instead of fruit

Many delicious opportunities. It almost feels like cheat food!

Depalma
06-22-2008, 04:50 PM
Jams,

Don't worry. You're not going to lose muscle in a week. Most likely, the rest has spurred the body into letting go of some excess fluid, etc. You often are going to see that in short breaks, you start to see the evidence from your hard earned prior efforts. As Eric Cressey often says, "Fatigue masks fitness." Often times a short break and the removal of stress and fatigue allows the body to fully adapt to the stresses that you put on them previously.

I wouldn't be surprised (in fact, I kind of expect) that you will come here tomorrow and tell us how much stronger you felt and how your lifts increased after the week off.

WaterRat
06-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Another trick for cottage cheese - stir in a spoonful (or more) of yogurt. I esp like to add a spoonful of DH's full fat vanilla! Makes the lf cc taste downright :devil: Had it this morning with some cantalope - yummy.

jamsk8r
06-23-2008, 03:56 AM
Depalma, thanks, that makes me feel better. I'm not sure my lifts will increase tomorrow, since I was only back 2 workouts after having taken off over 4 weeks for whatever I did to my knee. Basically, I'm starting over with the lifting, but I'm looking forward to it, even if I'm not quite back to where I left off before the knee injury. I'm just glad to be able to resume my workouts, hopefully without interruption this time! I appreciate all the great support from this forum!

Has anybody heard from Meg and Mel? I'm ready for a workout report and some buff chick lifting photos from those two! ;) I might be behind on posts, though...I'll have to go back a page and see if I missed something.

Lydia227
06-23-2008, 09:24 AM
Hi Cheryl:wave:

I don't think you missed anything. It's probably too early yet for the buff chicks workout report and photos. :lol:

This morning was an early workout. DH hit the alarm and said, "It's 5:30am are you going or is it too early for you?" I have to admit it was a little tough to get things going once I got there. I think it's because I skipped breakfast. No matter, I got in a 45 minutes of legs and half hour of cardio. Not one of my best workouts but better than nothing at all. I have an appointment later this morning so the other option was to go in the after work hours. I'd rather not. The place is pretty busy and my tension builds all day without a morning workout. The other perk was that DH had the kids fed and dressed, the beds made and the dishwasher running by the time I came home. :love: that guy. It's the little things. :)

Have a great Monday everyone!

Meg
06-23-2008, 09:38 AM
The "buff chick workout" involved lifting glasses of wine. :o Mel wasn't here long enough for us to hit the gym, so we talked, ate, and drank wine instead. And we were too busy to remember to take pictures! Sorry, guys. :(

Today was cardio and shoulders. I hadn't done military presses since I tore my rotator cuff two years ago, but was reading Muscle and Fitness Hers last night and there was a piece on shoulders that talked about what a great exercise it is. So I decided to try today, figuring the worst that could happen was a barbell in my lap. I managed four sets of four or five with the bare bar, though I think I could have done one or two more each set with a spotter. It was funny at first because those neural pathways were definitely rusty, but each set got a little easier.

The rest of the workout was cable front lateral raises (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Supraspinatus/CBFrontLateralRaise.html) (for the superspinatus, one of the muscles I tore), side laterals, machine rear delt flyes, and alternating arm overhead presses. Feels good. :)

Did a half hour on the elliptical and 15 minutes on the bike, and am planning on more bike later since I skipped cardio all weekend.

srmb60
06-23-2008, 10:45 AM
I'm struggling this morning with some disappointment in my gym experience. I think I need you folks to tell me whether or not I'm being a fat-headed know-it-all or making excuses or what ...

It's come to my attention that my PT (although she is a lovely girl and I admire her weight loss and workout ethic) is just a kid taking lessons in personal training. I know you have to start somewhere, I do.

The program I was given is the same one they give everybody who has a little fitness experience. There's another for real newbies. PT Tracey doesn't know how to customize it. If needed, you are given another program.

DH has a new program. It's the same as most men there (with a bit of experience) and has a small tweak because he has had trouble with his back. The gym owner set him up this time.

There is a notice on the wall wrt changing programs ... discouraging the asking for this.

Their food program is either just goofy or wasn't explained to us very well.

Now, I'm going to backtrack here and mention that I've never had any trouble getting PT Tracey to show me how to use any machines. She's pretty nice about that.

I think I know what I'm doing. I don't like a full body workout. I don't think I'm one of those people who demand a bunch of time and attention and then disappear. I'd like to create my own programs without alienating anyone. Sooner or later, I'm going to need a spotter.

Can I just quietly do that? Am I being princessy? Am I being fat-headed know it all? There must be people who just pay their fees and do their own thing.

Some of this is probably personalities and etiquette and I'll have to (sooner or later) talk to the gym owner?

Depalma
06-23-2008, 01:03 PM
It's come to my attention that my PT (although she is a lovely girl and I admire her weight loss and workout ethic) is just a kid taking lessons in personal training. I know you have to start somewhere, I do.

I remember having serious questions about her initial programming when you first started with her. Many things didn't make sense to me then, but I never question a trainer's competence without first asking why they do something. Sometimes there is "a method to their madness." In this case, it was just inexperience and lack of expertise. This is not to say to dismiss everything she has to offer out of hand. If the gym is offering you this training without charge, it should not be unexpected to work with an intern rather than a personal trainer. However, if they are going to have an intern design and supervise your program, one would think they should have let you know this up front.

There is a notice on the wall wrt changing programs ... discouraging the asking for this.

Do they change your routines on a regular basis within the larger program or do they give you one set of workouts and expect you to do it indefinitely. If it's the former, I'd agree. You need to stick with a program long enough to see whether it works. Program hopping is usually detrimental to long term success. If it's the latter, well then they are either lazy, incompetent or both.

Can I just quietly do that? Am I being princessy? Am I being fat-headed know it all? There must be people who just pay their fees and do their own thing.

This is a regular commerical gym right? I don't see any reason why you would not be allowed to use or decide not to use any of the different services offered to you. You have to do what is best for you. When I work out at the Y or at the Fitness center by my work, I don't have anyone their telling me what workouts to do.

srmb60
06-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Thanks Depalma,

I hear you about program hopping.

The gym owner seems to be the one who watches for folks who are ready for a change.

I think we talked once before about the time and financial constraints of running a gym. Especially a small one in a small town. I think you are right in that when you pay you get the gym owner. But (lets call him RM) RM cannot be all things to all people so he has interns. And I'm sure they work closely supervised by him.

I watched a bit last night and am happy to report that of the fellows there, no two were doing the same things as DH.

RM knew that I wasn't doing the program Tracey gave me and was as pleasant as usual.

Upon reflection, I guess I was worried about hurting feelings. I don't really doubt that I'd get help if I needed it. And I don't plan to blame any one of them if I don't get smaller ;)

Now, I've rambled thru two long posts but ... you never know who might read this and be helped by it, right?

Thanks again!

sportsfreak
06-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Hey everyone, Its been a while since I last posted but i have read the threads and kept myslef updated.

Well my summer vacation just started and i also just started NRLW. Im doing B1 tommorrow but am a little intimidated about the deadlift. I have to ask someone tom where to do it in the gym because frankly i dont know where.

Anyways I'm doing that 3X a week and on top of that I am biking to and from the gym 25 min at high intensity. On my off days I go for a small 20 min bike ride.

I try to eat 1700 on my non weight days and 1900 on m weight days. I find its alot of food to chug down and i am soooooo full by the day.

Just a question about protien shakes. Is it better to have them b4 or after a w/o.

Thanks, and ill make sure i keep checking back in.

Mel
06-24-2008, 06:32 PM
:wave:
I just rolled back home after a very long drive, having troubles keeping my eyes open. Moving is a HUGE full body workout, and thank heavens I do lots of squats, deadlifts and cardio. We did that for 2 days non-stop. DD is not as strong as good old mom, but had more stamina. We both are covered in bruises :o She's definitely hiring a mover next time....I'm too old for that again!

Lydia, sorry I had no time to call you or visit in Columbus. I thought about asking if you'd like to do a nice long functional fitness day :lol:

My afternoon and evening with Meg and her husband was wonderful. We always just pick up like we live next door and talk everyday. It's really too bad Pennsylvania is so darn big! Plus, Meg is a great cook and a very thoughrful hostess :hug:

OK, I'm going to eat and then pass out.

Mel

Lifeguard
06-24-2008, 08:15 PM
Sportsfreak - deadlift is nothing to be afraid of - it is something to LOVE!!! I usually just find myself a little chunk of floor in front of a mirror (although I never look at myself so the mirror is unnecessary.)

jamsk8r
06-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Sportsfreak, the deadlift is a fun one. I didn't think I'd like it at first, but it's probably my favorite, even though I can't do one from the floor yet...gotta get a little more bendy before I can do that one correctly, and I don't want Depalma giving me grief about my bad form. ;) (just kidding with you, Depalma) ;)

Mel and Meg, glad to hear that you had a nice visit. Now, after your little nap, if you all wouldn't mind packing up the VW bus, picking up Lydia on the way, and coming to the Northwest coast to give me some lessons in the big lifts, I'll throw some salmon on the grill! :lol3:

I got my lifting workout in Monday. Nothing exciting to report, just following NROL until I get my own thoughts clear on what I want to do in the weight room. Weights were a little lighter due to grip issues and just being out of shape since I left off the NROL4W. I'll get it back, though!

srmb60
06-25-2008, 06:52 AM
I love deadlifts too. I couldn't get my form right from the floor so I started from the top. I still do a squat type pick up and start my SLDL from the knees.

Lydia227
06-25-2008, 10:29 AM
Hi Sportfreak:wave: It's great to "see" you. I hope you are having a great summer break so far. So you are biking half an hour to and back from your workouts! After last night I have a whole new respect for what that means. More on that later. I also share everyone else's enthusiasm for the deadlift. It's a fun lift and feels so great through the hamstrings and hips. Give it a few workouts to develop the movement as well. It's worth the effort to learn properly.

Mel: A full day of functional fitness. :lol: Well, that's one way to put it. I hope the move went well. The boys and I were out of town this past weekend "camping" with friends. Actually, all the fathers and children were to sleep outside in tents. That was the plan anyway until it rained. Anyway, glad to know that you are back and getting some rest.

Jams: I'm looking for that VW bus. :lol3:

Last night was my first ride with a new friend I made at the gym. After about fifteen minutes into the ride I realized that she was my new trainer. :lol: Wow, there are so many different forms of cardio and strength fitness. The plan was to meet at a local bike rails to trails. An hour out and an hour back. Okay. I can do that. :sg: A half hour later we came to a crossroad and she asks me how I'm doing. Fine, but honestly I think I've only got another 45 minutes in me. So we found a way to cut the path a little shorter. In all we rode about an hour and fifteen minutes. My bike is a hybrid. I purchased it about six years ago and had no intention of riding it with anyone but my sons. She had a real bike with bigger wheels and thinner tires. She allowed me to take her bike for a spin after we got back. Needless to say I liked her's a whole lot better. I actually felt like I was molded more to the bike. It was a really good fit. On my bike, it kind of feels like I'm perched on top of this thing. Not nearly as natural of a feeling. DH asked how it went went I got back. Then added "so I suppose you are going to need a new bike soon?..." I said no, not yet. Let me be sure this is something I want to do before make that kind of purchase. Although, I can see myself add this in to my routine very easily. It was great fun to be outside.

Immediately after the ride I showered, threw on a dress and picked up one of my girlfriends. She had called me earlier in the afternoon stating that she had a "get out of jail free" card from her DH for the evening. She was trying to get a whole group of us to go out for the evening. This was one of the other motivations I had for getting through this ride efficiently. :D We went to a local outdoor bar ate steamed shrimp and chatted for two and half hours. Great fun.

Today is an afternoon workout without the kids. Legs. Have a great day everyone!

sportsfreak
06-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Hey guys, thanks all for the support. I went to the gym after looking at the station for a while i finally got up the guts to go and try it out. And man was it fun. I did my first set with just the bar and for the 2nd I added and extra 10 pounds. I could have done more weight if i didn't have to do 15 reps.

Lydia- the bike riding moust have been fun for you. Looks like you had a good w/o. Whe i started I was wiped but you get used to it after. Especially my butt- now that hurt and still hurts.

I finished B1 of stage one and i am liking the program. Just having a hard time trying to fit the calories i need in a day. I seem to be getting full way to fast at arounf 1400-1500. Im pushing for 2000.

sportmom
06-25-2008, 03:17 PM
Hi everyone, well, my post-lifting snack (remember, I asked about them earlier this thread?) was interesting. I was rushed into making lunch for the dd's, which I decided would be soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. I make them really healthy, so they're not the sin you're thinking.......w/w bread with 2% cheese and just melted. No butter, oil or any added fat. Well, they picked at the soup but gagged on the sandwhich (kids are smart that way), so I ate it. I had a ton of things to do before I could sit down a feed myself (internet was out & needed resetting, etc). I thought, wow, that was dumb. But then I looked at the cheese pkg and maybe it wasn't so bad. w/w bread was good, hi protein on the cheese and low on the fat (relatively speaking). Not alot of added or artificial sugar like I would have found in my yogurt snack, so.... maybe, a new choice. Alright, :flame: away -- what am I missing?

3rd fbwo since returning from surgery and it felt great, finally, yea! My second one didn't leave me cripped 48 hrs afterward, so I knew things were looking up after that dreadful first workout. Off to do a pilates dvd! Ana Caban anyone? ;)

Lydia227
06-25-2008, 04:59 PM
Hi Fran: I think that as something to add as variety it isn't too bad. I entered the info into FitDay assuming that you are using two pieces of 100% whole wheat bread and one slice of Kraft 2% American Cheese the break down looks like this:

Calories 207
Carbs 32 55%
Fat 5 24%
Protein 10 21%

Interestingly there is more protein in the two slices of bread than in the one slice of cheese. Looking at the percentages of macronutrients, the carbs are a little higher than I would want and the protein is a little lower. However, keeping in mind your goal, feeling satisfied without overdoing the protein and developing any more stones, I think this looks pretty good. Anyone else have any opinions on this?

midwife
06-25-2008, 05:22 PM
Anyone else have any opinions on this?
Opinions on cheese sandwiches? Yum.....

As for the protein, I wonder about adding tuna or turkey or if other brands/types of cheese have a higher protein content?

Also, I recall that cottage cheese was on your yucky list, sportmom, but I wonder if you have tried it blended with oatmeal and egg whites for protein pancakes. I promise it doesn't taste like cottage cheese, although I like cottage cheese so it wouldn't bug me if it did. :)

How would you feel about adding scrambled eggs to your cheese sandwich?

Just some ideas, but I overall agree with Lydia that it might meet your goals and parameters.

jamsk8r
06-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Sportsfreak, try the protein shake after your workout, for recovery (and for me, it keeps me from eating everything else in sight, lol).

Lydia227
06-25-2008, 07:49 PM
Midwife/Fran: Adding turkey is a wonderful idea or scrambled egg whites. Very low calorie content and just a little extra protein and flavor as well. In fact, :doh: this is what I do when I make my egg white omelette for lunch.

Oh Elisa....: Guess what I signed up for this afternoon? :devil: I'm going to take an eight week ashtanga yoga series. It's a two hour class once a week in the evening. I hope I can make it through. I asked the guy who registered me if I should still do my morning workout at the gym. He chuckled and said uhm, "No, I wouldn't do that." I think I'm still going in to lift upper body anyway. What do you think, will I have enough in me to do this tomorrow night if I go in to lift in the morning. (By the way, I did survive the bike ride last night after doing upper body in the morning) I guess this would be considered the two workouts a day kind of thing that I may need to work up to. ;)

Mel
06-25-2008, 08:28 PM
Wow, Lydia, I'm tired reading how much you are doing! Was that you who zoomed in front of me on a bike on the bridge over the Scioto on Fifth Street? :lol:

Fran- I'd add an egg white to that kind of like an ersatz egg mcmuffin. But I'm trying to add protein, not lessen it. That's probably a good ratio for you. What has your doctor told you in terms of protein levels?

Hi sportsfreak :wave: What kind of foods are you eating that you are so full? I've personally never had a problem getting all my calories into me ;) but I need a lot less. Give us a typical day and I'm sure we can all give you suggestions on how to eat MORE. Think of peanut butter as a food group, and that alone should do the trick.

I'm still exhausted today :dizzy: I got up early (as usual) and did cardio on the elliptical, then did a hard shoulder session at lunch time. I just feel drained and zombie-like. Work was crazy after not being there for so long.

I hear the garage door opening which means dh is back from retrieving ds for his mandatory day off. He's just finished staff week at the camp where he works; campers arrive on Friday.

Later,
Mel

elisa822
06-25-2008, 09:29 PM
Well I'm back from my weekend away and while it was a lot of fun, the food was beyond bad. I think I clocked in 5 straight days of poor eating choices. The scale is punishing me but I'm back on track and hoping to reverse the damage quickly.

Lydia - I'm so proud of you!! :D I really really hope you enjoy your classes as much as I do. As I've said, the yoga I take is Power Yoga which justs means that it's a quicker flow from movement to movement and it is a solid workout! I can absolutely be sore from a good yoga class. There is no "om"-ing in my yoga and there's only about 3-5 minutes of relaxation time at the end. Other than that...wow, it is tough. But I always feel great after and I feel stronger, more flexible and I have better balance because of it. I can't imagine two hours (mine is an hour) and I could not lift on the same day but what the heck. Give it a try if you want and see how it goes. You must keep me posted!!

Fran - grilled cheese of any kind is yummy!!! I can't remember the last time I had one! Yours sounds pretty healthy but I don't think I would have it regularly. As Lydia suggested, I think it's higher carb than I would want. I love cottage cheese but I know that doesn't help you. Egg whites are great and yes, the beloved protein pancakes are perhaps the most perfect food in my opinion;) I love them rewarmed or room temperature so maybe making a batch could last you a few days. I also love these tuna salads. (http://www.oceanfish.com/noflash/products_cat5.html) They keep at room temperature and are a great source of protein.

sportmom
06-25-2008, 10:42 PM
Lydia, add another slice of cheese to that sandwich and what do I get? Hopefully a little more protein to go with the carbs. I DO like eggs scrambed with cheese on a sandwich!! Will try that!! That was one of my first meals mil made me when I was home from the hospital after having dd, I don't know why I don't think of it more often.

Jam, I have a history of kidney stones. I practically lived on protein smoothies for about a year, but now I won't touch 'em or any hi-protein, lo-carb diet.

Mel, we have that conversation when I go back in 2 more weeks for my (hope) final renal u/s and the duh-duh-duh verdict on the pathology on my stone. Once he has that I expect I'll get a full diet write up.

srmb60
06-26-2008, 06:59 AM
My cheese sandwich yesterday had turkey and cucumber on it.

I had a nice chest/triceps wo yesterday. Probably because of the headache I had the day before, I didn't have much puff so cardio was so-so.

DH and I had that conversation about doing what you don't want to do at the gym. And I cannot deny that I'm progressing with my weinie arms.

Tomato
06-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Off to do a pilates dvd! Ana Caban anyone? ;)

Hi Sportmom,

I have a Pilates DVD with Ana Caban but it is an old one. One thing that does not impress me (that is about exercise videos in general) how the camera keeps cutting from a different angle, etc. I find it very distracting and I wish they kept it 'static' (i.e. shot it from the same spot, same angle, etc.). It seems much worse with this particular DVD than any other ones. But like I said, I have had this one for years, I hope the newer ones are better.

Lydia227
06-26-2008, 12:08 PM
Lydia, add another slice of cheese to that sandwich and what do I get?

Today's Foods
Food Name Servings Serving Size Cals Fat Carb Prot
Bread, whole wheat, 100% 157 3 30 6
Kraft American Cheese 2% 100 5 4 8
Totals 257 8 34 14

Actually, looks pretty good. :) Still a little carb heavy but it is bread after all. :D

~sigh~ So I went in to do upper body today and DS2 wasn't having any of the childcare today. None. Won't even take off his shoes. "Let me tell ya something Mom, I'm TIRED." "I just want to go home and play with my Legos." ~sigh~ It's a half hour drive each way folks. But I caved. :^: Packed the boys back up and went home. He probably is tired. We were awaken last night at 12:15am to tornado sirens for over an hour. It was serious enough for me to wake the kids and take them downstairs for an hour. I'm pretty tired too. Unrestfull sleep, no upperbody workout, the food will be a challenge today. BUT! I do have the yoga class to look forward to so there is a bright spot here. :D

Mel: Don't worry, no touchdowns. It was a spinning wall that was spotted in the storm. Your daughter is most likely fine as far as a tornado threat is concerned. I did notice some parts of the city had a lot of water and parts were without electric this morning. I hope her new home held up to the test last night.

Lifeguard
06-26-2008, 02:47 PM
I've been slacking. I'm finding the combination of not liking my gym here so much & feeling so cumbersome (I know it's only going to get worse) very unmotivating. I have the info for a pregnancy yoga class so I'm going to look into that - the midwives seemed very concerned that I was taking a regular yoga class - hahaha - if only they new I'm so inflexible I can't do half the moves anyway!

I just got back from taking the dogs for their walk. Everyone keeps saying "walk, walk, walk" but with all the freakin' steep inclines walking just takes it right out of me. I feel like I'm being a real wimp about but when I was home I took walks with friends that were well over an hour long. The route I take with the dogs is only 30 minutes & leaves me sweaty & out of breath. Ugh!

sportsfreak
06-26-2008, 07:17 PM
well no w/o for me today, it was a rest day but I'm not having any problems getting my foods in. I took all your sugesstions and I think I am doing quite well. I find it soo amazing that i can eat so much and not change in weight- its awsome. Tom is w/o A2 for stage 1.

Have a great day- later

Lydia227
06-26-2008, 11:16 PM
:dance: I did it. I did it. I took my first yoga class tonight. Ashtanga Yoga, it's an instructional class with a lot of hands on by the instructor. I wanted to learn this within a real yoga studio instead of a fitness class offered at a gym. This place offers certification programs for yoga instructors so I feel that I'm in the right place to learn this discipline.

Most of the time was spent talking about the class, and going over a handout. Then we spent a half hour doing the "Minimum Daily Requirement" Suryanamaskara A, Suryanamaskara B, and Finishing Asanas. Great fun. I am looking forward to actually doing this at the end of my lifting sessions to help stretching out those muscles especially in the hamstrings. :sssh: I think I'm going to like this. :lol:

It was so cool the first time she talked us through the entire sequence I kind of just shut off my analytical brain and just did it. The first time! And it felt RIGHT! Very cool experience. Yep, all those squats, deadlifts, planks, and pushups during the last three years have served me well. I never could have done this four years ago or if I did I would not have walked out of that room feeling like I did tonight. I am as excited about having this experience as I was when I realized I could stand up from sitting on the couch without using my upper body to pull me up first. :goodvibes:

Thanks Elisa :hug:

midwife
06-26-2008, 11:23 PM
Hmmm.....yoga (can you hear my brain whirring?)....sounds intriguing.....

I've been reading along but I always am bad with personals, so I'll say "Howdy, all. I am impressed by all your efforts!"

I had an NSV today. I grabbed a pair of red Adidas shorts out of the laundry (this is important cause we have red Adidas shorts coming out of our ears at my house---DH and I can share and DD has her own smaller sizes). I pulled them on and I was perplexed that I didn't have to really pull the drawstring tight and tie it. They weren't tight, but they weren't falling off the way DH's and my shorts usually do. I thought, 'Oh well, maybe they shrunk in the dryer'--that's always been my excuse for snugger than expected clothes. I walked out to go to the gym with DD and she says "Hey, those are my shorts!"

Indeed. Mama can fit in 15 yo DD's Adidas shorts.

Heh.

Wishing strength to you all!

jamsk8r
06-27-2008, 02:51 AM
Hi all. :wave:

Workout was pretty good this morning. Did LB at home, since I didn't have time for the Y trip today. I bailed on my squats after the first set, because it was bothering my knee. Not sure what was up with that, usually I can adjust my stance a little and get comfortable, but couldn't find the comfort zone today, and I didn't want to go there with the knee again. Decided to try some hamstring curls (or whatever they are called) on the swiss ball... :rofl: oh man, that was almost as good as the first time I tried that prone jackknife. :dizzy: Back to the Y for UB tomorrow. I think I'm going to like this split!

Meg
06-27-2008, 06:13 AM
TGIF! :wave:

The gym opens in 20 minutes and I'm off for cardio, Legs Lite, and the grocery run. Have you noticed how EVERYTHING in the grocery store looks good after you've worked out?? :dizzy:

Congratulations on the little shorts, Midwife! :bravo: And I have to tell everyone that I've met Midwife's DD and she's a tiny little thing, so for Midwife to fit into her shorts ... :faint: You're disappearing!!

Mel
06-27-2008, 08:31 AM
:bravo: Midwife! Now you can swipe your daughter's clothes :D Speaking from experience, that's great fun!

Remember my little black dress challenge? It fits :carrot: Tonight is the wedding when I'll be wearing it, so that's a good thing :lol:

Cardio done, no lifting today.

Have a good one,
Mel

Lydia227
06-27-2008, 08:34 AM
Midwife: :yay: You are doing a fantastic job. What an awesome NSV!

Jams: Good call on listening to your body and making minor adjustments. The hamstring curls on the ball are really tough. I thought it was just me but two days ago I watched a rather fit guy attempt to do these and the grimace on his face looked about as painful as the one I feel when I'm doing them. :lol:They're tough! Few exercises target those as deeply as that exercise.

Mel: I'm sure you will be striking in you little black dress. Have a great time this evening! :D

srmb60
06-27-2008, 09:39 AM
Pictures in the black dress! We want pictures!

elisa822
06-27-2008, 01:11 PM
Mel - congrats on the little black dress...good for you!

Lyda - I feel so proud hearing about your yoga experience and I'm thrilled that you loved it...now will you trust me? Have I ever steered you wrong? I love the Sun Salutions A&B (I can't remember the full names). I love all of the warrior poses and the balance stuff. The finishing poses are great too. My favourite is the shoulder stand. And, of course the Shavasana is the only relaxing time right at the end. You can see how doing the Sun Salutations over and over again (which they do in my class) and using the Chaturangas to move throgh poses can be very challenging. Those are really just the downward motion of a tricep pushup but do them 30 times over the course of the class and it's a workout!

jams - you're not alone...those curls on the ball are killer for me. They really burn!

Another work function yesterday meant another not great food day and today I'm so hungry so I think it's time for a big salad with some protein to help fill me up.

Have a great day!

Lydia227
06-27-2008, 01:28 PM
I'm so hungry so I think it's time for a big salad with some protein to help fill me up.

Hey :hungry: That's what I'm having right now for lunch too! Extra lean ground turkey mixed with taco seasoning, black beans, and ff cheddar cheese on lettuce. Mmmm.

The tricep style pushups are a bit of a dread. Its funny because when I would get down into that position my first instinct was to grimace at the thought of having to do a set of ten of these from that point. Then I was relieved to know that was part of the plan. :lol:

So today was leg day. Squats, lunges, deadlifts, the usual. But today I added a 15 pound body bar to my split squats and stepups. That was kind of fun. Actually, the weight felt like nothing at all on my back it was mostly just to get used to the idea of balancing something on my shoulders before I go heavier with another bar. Darn my glutes hurt this afternoon. Burn Burn Burn. :flame: But, it's good :^:

denvertechchick
06-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Hey all,

It's FRIDAY!!!!!

Last night I crossed a line - on the calf press machine. I started at 170lbs 6 weeks ago. Last night it seemed like I could just keep going and going. I ramped up the sets and finally stopped at 12 reps of 300 pounds. It felt awesome. Food needs to be better next week. Tomorrow is the dreaded push mower workout! Hey, at least I'm doing something green for the planet.

Jamsk8r, how is your grip coming along? I hope your joints let you work out like you want to very soon.

Mel, congrats on the LBD! I know you'll look amazing in it! Hope you have fun at the wedding!

Elisa, I love yoga, too, but I've really been slacking. Thanks for the reminder.

Meg, Susan, Susanje, sportmom, sportfreak, tomato, midwife, Depalma, and everyone else - hello!

Hope you all have a groovy weekend!

jamsk8r
06-28-2008, 04:02 AM
Hi all. I didn't do my UB workout today, but will make it up tomorrow. I'd planned to run tomorrow, but after LB yesterday, and 3 hours back on skates tonight, I think my legs won't miss the run! It's good to be skating again, but my feet and legs are a little out of shape from the time off.

Depalma, thought I should tell you first, since you helped me: I actually did some deadlifts (lifting) from the floor today, and did not round my back on the lower portion of the lift! I was just practicing at home, and have been practicing the rack pull motion and also just trying to squat down low and hold that position with a flat back, as recommended in one of the "squat rx" videos. Anyway, had to share, and say thanks for helping me get on the right track there. :hug:

I'll have to catch up with the posts tomorrow. I'm tired and feeling munchy after skating...better get some protein down and go to sleep before I eat something I shouldn't!

Depalma
06-28-2008, 10:06 AM
Depalma, thought I should tell you first, since you helped me: I actually did some deadlifts (lifting) from the floor today, and did not round my back on the lower portion of the lift! I was just practicing at home, and have been practicing the rack pull motion and also just trying to squat down low and hold that position with a flat back, as recommended in one of the "squat rx" videos. Anyway, had to share, and say thanks for helping me get on the right track there. :hug:

Great Job!

srmb60
06-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Good morning!

Back and biceps yesterday! I :love: lat pulldowns! I added weight to my hyperextensions but that's about all that was new.

jamsk8r
06-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Thanks, Depalma!

SusanB, I like those, too! I also LOVE the machine that lets me do pull-ups.

Denver, the grip is crappy, as usual, but it will get better with time, I think.

Mel and Midwife, congrats on fitting into even tinier clothing!

Lydia, keep reporting on the yoga. I'm thinking I might try something like that down the line, for variety, and to learn more about stretching and improving flexibility. I could get into all kinds of new dance skating moves if I was more flexible. :devil:

Elisa (and Lydia), glad to know it wasn't just me on those curls. Guess I'd better practice just holding that position with straight legs, before I try the curling thing again. :dizzy:

UB for me today, which I'd better get to soon. Have to go to my sister's after to help her with a flat tire on her old truck, and we're planning to walk dogs after that.

denvertechchick
06-28-2008, 06:49 PM
Hey all,

Cheryl, great job getting back on your skates! You'll be jammin in no time, I'm sure!

Susan, I love lats, too. They seem to give a really immediate result, don't they?

I wasn't sure yesterday but today it's official: I overdid it. So I'm resting for a few days. Maybe I'll update my blog! It's funny that years ago I felt confident enough to send bikini photos to BFL, but now I'm too shy to put them up on my blog!

Meanwhile, we'll have to wait for Mel's fabulous little black dress photos. Hope she is having fun at the wedding.

sportsfreak
06-29-2008, 10:02 AM
Well this weekend was a rest day for me in terms of lifting- but you all seem busy. I may go out for a bike ride today maybe or not. Not sure.

Anyone watching the euro 2008 finals on today- I know thats happening in my house. I'm not to interested to i may take the car out and go shopping.

Monday is w/o b2 of stage 1. I hopw i can raise my deadlift weight next time when i go for 12 reps not 15. I am planning to do all 7 stages especially stage 6 because i do want to increase my srtrength. I was looking for the origional NROL because I thought it would be better suited to my needs- but I cant find any arounf my area. I'll keep looking I guess.

Check in later- have a great sunday

jamsk8r
06-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Denver, thanks! It is great to be able to skate again...I was dreading having to do something else to make up for the lost cardio workouts (shudder). Hope you're feeling back to normal in a few days, and able to continue on with your workouts.

Sportsfreak, rest day today for me, also. I must have done a good UB workout yesterday, because I'm bloated up with water weight today!

Today will be the mowing workout, but I'm waiting for this evening, when it isn't so hot. Today will be a good quiet day at home, so I'm using the time to get my workout program ironed out. Have to make a few adjustments to it, again, since I'm back to skating. :dizzy:

Mel
06-30-2008, 08:23 AM
Good morning for the last day of June! :sunny:

No little black dress pictures, sorry! Maybe I should just put it back on after work today a take a picture. I forgot my camera Friday night and figured that there would be disposables on the tables like every other wedding I've been at for the last 15 years- wrong! Saturday's leg workout was a non-starter due to the amount of dancing I did in SUPER high heels on Friday night. I had a horrible cramp in my calf early in the morning and could barely walk most of the day.

jamsk8er- Are you ice skating,roller skating orroller blading? For a while, I was ice skating and roller blading for cardio until I got too confident and started getting hurt. I "found" my roller blades in the garage this weekend and may try them out again.

Lydia-Glad you enjoyed the yoga. I've only done it a few times and can't say I liked it, but the one-on one session I did certainly was a workout.

Cardio on the elliptical done, lifting at lunch. Chest and back day.

Have a good one,

Mel

Lifeguard
06-30-2008, 01:50 PM
After much internal struggle about wimping out I am going to start my new modified walk today with the dogs. Instead of completing my route from the house I am going to drive the dogs to the end of my route & walk it backwards, shortening it slightly so that I avoid the killer hill (with the dog aggressively barking dogs) that currently starts & ends the walk. I just am finding it harder & harder to do this hill (especially with my dogs pulling to go visit said barking dogs) & the difficulty of it is demotivating me so much that I DREAD my morning walks.

That's my confession. P.S. I'm not being crazy - this hill is steeper than 45 degrees & about 500m long.

zinkemomx2
06-30-2008, 08:43 PM
That's my confession. P.S. I'm not being crazy - this hill is steeper than 45 degrees & about 500m long.

You won't get any arguments from me. I was barely able to walk at 22 weeks with my big old twin belly. I can't imagine climbing anything higher than my bed.

jamsk8r
06-30-2008, 11:29 PM
Mel, rollerskates for me. I never did master the whole rollerblade/inline skate thing. I like ice skating, every ten years when I do that. Can't say I'm good, but at least the ice is softer than concrete! My calves are having sympathy pains...jamskating is all about being up on your toes/front wheels only, so after 3 hours of that Friday night, after a month off, I was lucky I could walk to the car, lol. Hope you're feeling back to normal soon!

LG, I'm a total "hills" wimp, so I won't be judging you. Glad you figured a way around it! :hug:

srmb60
07-01-2008, 06:28 AM
Morning!

Legs light (as Mel says) yesterday. I have a ping in the back of my rt shoulder and I think I'll be wary of weights until I see the chiropracter. I did a nice blend of machines for 45 mins of cardio tho'.