Old 06-15-2008, 04:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 325/ticker/175

Height: 5'3

Default Am i doin it right???

For three days i have had about 1200 cals per day.... exercised, and worked on toning my arms.. im 301lbs... i got on the scale this am just to see if i had lost 1 lb yet... and it hasnt moved.. am i having too many cals? or am i building muscle which weighs more than fat? or am i peranoid? lol...
jimaterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:28 AM   #2  
Dori

S/C/G: 258.8/234/160

Height: 5'8"

Are you logging your food and your calories burned? You need to burn more than you take in...but at the same time not starve yourself...when I started I weighed 248 and my daily caloric intake is 1450 (which I eat throughout the day about every 3 hours...or 6 small meals) and I burn 2450 calories which leaves a 1000 calorie deficit everyday.

If you are working out heavily with weights you will build muscle and it DOES weight more than fat. Also, try not weighing so soon...I know it's hard; it's my biggest weakness actually and I have to FIGHT with myself not to weigh more often. My trainer officially weighs me once a month and REFUSES to weigh me more often. I try to keep myself from weighing more than once a week, it just depresses me when I see the number yo-yo...set a specific day and time to weigh yourself every week and stick to it....it's much more gratifying to see a 2-3 lb loss in a week than to see your weight fluctuate 2-5 lb every other day.

Good luck and don't give up!
Mommie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:55 AM   #3  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Honestly, I'd say you're not eating enough calories. I started at 260lbs and lost very consistently on 1600-1700 calories per day. If you drop your calories too low your body will start to hoard what fuel you do give it. Personally, I'd try bringing your calories up to 1600-1800 for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

I also agree with Mommie27 to give it some more time. 3 days isn't enough time to see results. Remember, you're in this for the long haul. Also, try to remember that weight loss is almost never linear. Although the calculators may say that you're "supposed" to lose a certain number of lbs per week, your body will do as it likes and the weight will come of differently then they say. I had some weeks of being totally OP that I didn't lose at all, and then I'd suddenly drop 5 lbs the next week. Weight loss isn't an exact science and it will take lots of tweaking before you find your groove.

Good luck, and stick with it! You'll never regret eating healthier and exercising.

Last edited by Gale02; 06-15-2008 at 05:56 AM.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:59 AM   #4  

thanks for responding so soon... im not using weights but i had been so sedentary before this week i was almost ready for bed rest.. i literally didnt do anything all day but walk back and forth from the restroom to my pc room... about 3 feet lol...the reason i decided to get off my bum and actually do something is because i tried to go for a walk last week and couldnt.. literally couldnt walk more than about 20 feet then stop and rest and my back hurt so bad lol...

i checked out a lot of calculators and according to them ( and i know they arent all accurate) i would have to eat about 2700 cals per day just to maintain.. 301lbs, 5'3.... 43 years old.... so i figured cutting down to 1200 plus exercising some would create some kind of deficite... i get on my exercise bike about 5 mins per time( all i can do at this point) and about 6 timmes a day... as for the arms, i dont have weights, but i use a pole and raise my arms up and down holding the pole till my muscles are on fire... i have also gone into the front yard twice in the last few days and hoe'd, pulled weeds, etc for 15 mins per time.. i know it doesnt sound like a lot, but its sooo much more than i used to do... i cut out the soda... the salt...and my normal diet is like this-

2 boiled eggs for breakfast , 1 piece of dry wheat toast.., banana

lunch- half can baked beans.. uk version.. kinda like pork and beans w/out the pork.. is about 170 cals

dinner.. half a chicken breast, 1 tiny baked tater.. about 2'' by 2'', and 1 cup of brussel sprouts..

im new to this diet thing, or change of lifestyle lol, but im trying to get all the food groups i can in during a day.. and im NOT hungry.. also im drinking water...
my husband said it will take a week or two for my bod to figure out what im doing to it lol... and not to weigh for at least a week... im just so scared of waiting that week and not seeing any results... what do ya think about the food im eating? is that okay? god im a newbie, can ya tell? LMAO
Old 06-15-2008, 07:38 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I guess you've noticed that folks are saying that 1200 is too low for you. That's simply not enough food, and it will shut your metabolism down further to eat so little. I'd really encourage you to increase your intake to something like 1800 to start, maybe even 2000.

Your meals aren't bad, but they are simply too skimpy. A half can of beans is not an adequate lunch. Where are the vegetables, fruits, etc.? You could add some snacks in between meals if you didn't want to eat a lot at each meal. Don't try to go by hunger right now--put yourself on a schedule where you have a meal or a snack every 2 or 3 hours. Three meals, and two or three snacks.

Be sure that you drink enough fluids also.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:36 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Creating a calorie deficit will result in weight loss. That's for sure. It's not automatic though and you must give it some time. Having made the decision to lose the weight, once and for all, I'm sure you're super anxious to get rid of it. But we must remember, it didn't come on in a short time and it won't come off in a short time. Weight loss is not an immediate gratification type thing. But hang tight - it IS extremely rewarding as you lose the weight and you are feeling better. As you become more active, more productive, more energetic and more fit. As your clothing size plummets. It's one of the most exciting things you can imagine.

I would definitely start out at a higher calorie count, given your current weight. 1800 cals will most likely provide you with a calorie deficit. There is definitely trial and error involved in finding the right numbers for yourself. Fitday.com is a website that can help you track calories.

As far as exercise, do as much as you can and before you know it, you will be able to increase it.

As far as your food. You MUST, absolutely MUST find a plan that you can STICK with. Cause if you don't stick with this, then you won't be able to lose all the weight - permenantly. Therefore it is important to find something that you can *do* longterm. I like to eat small, frequent meals and snacks so that I don't get hungry. Fiber and protein are weight loss and nutritional powerhouses. I would try to incorporate them into each and every meal. Egg white omlettes, no fat/no sugar yogurt, cottage cheese, chicken and turkey breast, soy products, tuna and other fish. Then there's the fiber - high fiber cereals, veggies - such as carrots, cauliflower, various squashes, broccoli, string beans, etc. And fruits. Berries are fabulous, pears, apples, peaches, etc.

Also very important to have a plan in place. Eating healthy does not happen by chance and therefore must be planned out in ADVANCE. Know what you will be eating ahead of time. Keep your home fully stocked with healthy foods. Get rid of the junk. Set yourself up for success!

Take a look around 3FC. There's lots to learn and lots of info.

Good luck to you as you embark on this very, very rewarding and extremely worthwhile journey.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

1200 is WAAAAAAYYYYYY too little food for you.

I started off losing at 237 and was eating 1600 or so cals a day. I'm down to 1500 now and still losing. At 1200, you're eating less than 1/2 of what your body needs to maintain and you're going to shock your body into locking down and not dropping any weight.

Honestly, if you've calculated 2700 for maintenance, I'd *start* at 2000 and see what that does for you. Make that 2000 lots of protein, veggies, and complex carbs. Do that for a couple of weeks and if you're not losing (and I"ll bet you will be) then slowly drop 100 cals at a time for a week at a time.

But I'm betting that 2000 cals will start you off losing pretty well!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:47 PM   #8  

okay, tomoz im going to start eating 1800 cals and see how that goes... thank you all for your answers and support
Old 06-15-2008, 09:22 PM   #9  
Blue Team Member

S/C/G: 297/229/150

Height: 5'5/168cm

i agree with the others you need to start between 1800 and 2000 cals a day.. remembet to drink lots and lots of water.. and put the scales away for a week or two then weigh yourself again.. weight fluctautes a great deal and for many different reasons.. sodium and sugar intake, exercise done, hormones just to name a few .. so be kinder to your self up the calories and keep moving give it a week or two weigh again .. and you'll see results..
when calories counting be very accuarate with your potions and log it all in to somewhere like the daily plate calories king or fitday .. these all have free online programmes .. good luck and stay healthy ..
amouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:48 PM   #10  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Everything I was gonna say about upping your calories and adding fruits and veggies has been said. And for the workouts - just do what you can and build it up. You are doing great, so far!

So I'll just say
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:10 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi and welcome!

Remember to drink LOTS of water - this is essential. So glad you posted.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote