Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-14-2008, 08:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 163/143/135

Height: 5´5

Default how to avoid vacation weight gain!

So I just found out yesterday that I will be going to spain on wednesday and will be for a week, then I come home for two weeks and go to Marmaris for one week, and then I will go to Tenerife for two week in August. I usually go to the gym 5 days a week, but our hotel wont have a gym and I´m terrified of undoing all of my hard work Since I will be working in Spain(my mom has this travel company for handicapped people) I will have to be with the people I´m taking care of 24/7 so probably wont be able to exercise. I currently eat about 1350 calories per day and work out a lot. If I keep my calories let´s say about 1300 but wont work out, I wont gain any weight?
exerciserocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:54 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I'm going away for 10 days, too! First of all, it's always possible to make sure you are physically active, even if it's not "exercise." For example, you may be able to take a walk or a quick run now and then... or go up and down stairs in your hotel a few times... things like that. Also, it's not hard to do some abdominal exercises almost anywhere, or some pushups, some squats--and so on! I've seen some travel hand weights that you fill with water at your destination to make them heavy, and then you empty them for packing.

Plus just doing your job may be physically active!

The main thing is to be aware of what and how much you are eating. If you keep track of your calories, you should be fine. You know what foods tend to have lots of calories--and you need to control the portions. You might go over your target, but even if you do gain a couple of pounds, you can't undo all your hard work in a few weeks unless you go completely crazy! So, have a plan.

And check back in after your trip! Let us know how it goes for you.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:01 AM   #3  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

We're going away on vacation down the shore in mid-July. I know my regular routine will not exist but I am planning ahead to minimize damage. I'm bringing some yoga dvds and exercise bands to do strength stuff. Also, bodyweight exercises can be done with zero equipment and in the privacy of your room. Walking is always, always, always there to do. Your job sounds very demanding and physical and I'm sure that will keep you burning cals.
'
Food -- well you know what you should and shouldn't eat already but . . . if you're in places w/different foods I say try 'em! How often will you ever get to Spain? Try their local recommendations and enjoy yourself. I am going to try to keep breakfast and lunch more on track but I know there w/be days when boardwalk food will be what I eat. We've been saving for a great dinner at Chef Ted's (Route 9 just outside of Sea Isle City) for nearly a year. I am greatly looking forward to it too.

I'm also figuring I will gain a few lbs and am mentally preparing for it. If it doesn't happen then I'm ahead of the game. If it does, I'll be prepared and not let it throw me back into pigging-out.

Just do your best, eat sensibly but don't forgo 'once in a lifetime things' either, move and mostly -- enjoy your vacations!!!

Last edited by Hat Trick; 06-14-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:04 AM   #4  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I travel a lot, and it can be done. Jay had some good advice. It is really key to keep an eye on portions and track your eating since many times you will not be able to tell the calorie count of a meal.

Sneak in as much exercise as you can. I take a stretchie band with me when I travel. A few feet of space and a stretchie is a great way to keep the muscles toned and strong. Look for opportunities to take the stairs (run them a couple times before moving on if you can), or long way around. Carry luggage, walk as much as possible, be creative - and - most of all - HAVE FUN!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:53 PM   #5  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

In The South Beach Diet Supercharged and in The South Beach Heart program, there are exercises that you can do with just a small towel and a chair. Your hotel should have both. You may not have enough time to check the books out of a library, but if you have time to find one of them, you could just copy/take the pages for phase 1 on your trip. I'm sure you'll be doing more than enough walking on a trip in Spain to make up for the cardio part of your current program - and carrying your luggage, etc.

Last edited by WebRover; 06-14-2008 at 02:53 PM.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:51 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 163/143/135

Height: 5´5

thank you for all the great advice I have actually made a plan and I will print it out and take it with me! Our hotel has a refrigerator and a stove so I can make oatmeal I will go to the supermarket the first day and buy a lot of fruit and yogurt, oatmeal, lean meat, whole-wheat bread, tuna, whole-grain cereal and low-fat milk. I think it wont be so hard to eat healthy there because they have a lot of fresh fruits which here in Iceland is very expensive and often not so good since it travels a long way to get here. So I don´t get to eat a lot of fruit so I think that will be fun! And I´ve talked to my mom and my job doesn´t start until about 10 am so I´m going to whake up at 8 and go for a jog on the beach and maybe a swim. Then I will do some push-ups, crunches, squats and lunges. I will also order something healthy or grilled in the restaurants. I don´t think I will cheat a lot, I don´t drink alcohol and there isn´t really any food there that is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me. But I sure will enjoy the selection of fruits! But I will definitely treat myself to some low-fat ice-cream in the heat And then I plan to take food with me to eat on the plane. So I´m sure that I will be fine I´ve gone before on holidays where I´ve actually lost weight because of all the walking and the fresh-fruits. I tend to somehow eat a lot lighter when I spend most of the day in a bikini at the beach
exerciserocks is offline   Reply With Quote