Old 06-14-2008, 04:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: crazy/working/calm

Height: 5'8"

Default OA & Intuitive Eating? Are they compatible?

OA teaches that we are powerless over our urge to overeat, while Intuitive eating purports that we have intuitive wisdom on what/how much to eat but have lost touch with that wisdom. Can the two go together?

I've been going to online OA meetings for about a month now (thank GOD for Trg.org) Have just gotten a fabulous sponsor and we've been working the steps together, but we haven't discussed a plan of eating yet. I've been keeping a food journal and it seems like for me, abstinence would be not eating when I'm not hungry, if that makes sense. I don't know as I have "Trigger foods" but I do definitely have "Trigger feelings or situations".

Wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on the subject...?

Thanks!
~lexis
Alexistrophic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:19 AM   #2  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

Hi Lexis,
I don't do OA and the reason is because they teach the concept of being powerless of food. I will never believe that. But I can say as a binge eater that Intuitive Eating has worked for me. I had a few stops & starts but am currently 81 days binge free with today being Day 82.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:24 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Hi there,

As a compulsive overeater, I am addicted to food. I am not able to make rational decisions about eating like a normal eater could. I "think" that I'm hungry when I'm really angry, lonely, tired, sick, celebrating, bored, worried, stressed, thirsty etc. My brain translates just about any feeling into hunger. Added to that are my habits of eating for social reasons, traveling, holidays, weekends etc. I have a million reasons to put food in my mouth and none of them have anything to do with actual hunger.

So, OA has shown me how to eat only at meal time. That way, I don't have to rely on my bad food judgement at other times because I simply don't eat at other times. I have found incredible freedom in not having to think about food all day anymore-- should I have that? How much should I have? I shouldn't have had that.

What makes OA different than anything else I've found is that the program teaches me what to do with all those feelings that I used to eat over. If I'm not eating, then what am I supposed to do when I'm angry, lonely tired etc? The program gives me a format for living and coping that is actually better than using food.

So, to answer your question about intuitive eating-- I believe that compulsive overeaters have not only lost their intuitive wisdom regarding food, but will never regain it. This disease gets worse, never better. I've been abstinent for two years and maintaining a 60 lb weightloss for over a year-- however, I do not for a second believe that I could continue without working the OA program diligently. I haven't magically gotten well or stopped being a compulsive overeater.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:57 AM   #4  

Marny, love your words of wisdom. Thanks for answering this post I needed to hear what you had to say.

hugs
patd
patd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:49 PM   #5  

I agree with Marny 100%!!! I have been a lifetime food addict. No, I do not believe that a true food addict can ever be an "intuitive eater" I have been abstinent for 2 years and 3 months and have maintained a 125 lb weight loss for over 1 year.
blackcat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:08 AM   #6  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

Lexis--Of course you have to do what works for you. Nothing is ever the be all end all. Now that you have gotten the opinions of others you can make that decision. I agree with Marny in that as a binge eater I did lose the "intuitive wisdom" but "never regain it" I can't cosign on that one. I also agree that there is no cure and binge eating is something I will continue to struggle with for the rest of my life but for me IE has definitely helped me to cope.

Last edited by Shay; 06-15-2008 at 12:13 AM.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:16 AM   #7  
To thine ownself be true

S/C/G: 143/129/120

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs up Congrats!

Marny & blackcat,

WOW!

Congrats on both your abstinece and weight losses! I am in absolute awe. It is so uplifting to hear about your success.

Keep on keeping on,
Carla
caloriecountingcarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:26 AM   #8  

S/C/G: crazy/working/calm

Height: 5'8"

Thank you everyone for responding.
Marny, I was hoping that you would "weigh in" on this one, since I'm really inspired by your journey in general. I whole heartedly agree about the "bad decisions" regarding food. I suppose I'm really just struggling w. my food plan and when/where/how much to eat. Probably a sponsor question...

Thanks again, all!
Alexistrophic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:09 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Hey there everyone-

Alexis-- Newcomers to the program really, really want to focus on the "food plan" since it's essentially a diet, and that's what they're familiar with. I highly recommend that sponsees instead focus on abstinence and only eating 3 times a day. Once they are used to that (after a month or so), then they can start thinking about WHAT to eat during those meal times. It's a process, a lot of change, and a new way of eating. We don't have to make all the changes at once.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote