South Beach Diet - Phase One Chicks - Sunday, June 15th and Onwards

Fat Melanie
06-13-2008, 02:34 AM
I am going to start on Sunday and if anyone else is starting that day too, well please join me in this thread and we can give eachother moral support.

If there are no takers, well I will still post my progress under this thread and appreciate all the support and advice I can get from anyone doing phase one, or who has done phase one, or just anybody! I am an insecure, unsure person who needs lots of validation to make sure I'm doing things right, lol. I am winging this thing as of right now because I haven't ordered a copy of the book yet, but will do so ASAP.

My Sunday dinner is gonna be stuffed bell peppers, topped with a bit of mexican cheese and salsa and low fat sour cream. Is it okay to eat two of those bad boys?? Hope so.

cottagebythesea
06-13-2008, 06:02 AM
:welcome3: Melanie! I'm glad you are getting the book. Make sure you read it thoroughly before starting on Phase 1 so you'll understand the concepts of this diet. And, yes, you may have two stuffed peppers. Enjoy them, that recipe is scrumptious! Now you've made me hungry for them. :D

Ruthxxx
06-13-2008, 06:03 AM
Please post Phase I questions (and complaints) in this thread. There is strength in numbers and it's good to have all questions and ideas in one thread. We'll start a new one when this gets too long.

Melanie already has the answer to her pepper question in another thread.

Ruthxxx
06-14-2008, 05:24 PM
Started this today because I'll not be able to fit this in early tomorrow morning!

Auralei
06-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Hi, total newbie here :) My husband and I started Phase I today, after researching a ton here. I think it was the recipes that sold us, they look so yummy, and the fact that we can have things that we enjoy will help alot. I made a huge pot of White Chili with turkey breast overnight, for lunches this week, and of course we had it today. So delicious, and doesn't taste like "diet food".

I think we took twice as long grocery shopping yesterday, reading labels and making sure we bought the right products, but I'm proud of us for trying to change our eating habits and get healthy. He was diagnosed with really high cholesterol recently, mine is pretty high, too, so hoping this will help with that as well as weight loss.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi! Awesome forum, y'all! Good luck to everyone with their goals :)

Debbie54
06-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Hi First Phasers,
I decided to try the SB diet. I've been on my journey for about a year now and I've lost about 69 lbs by counting calories. But lately, I've been yo-yoing with the same 10 lbs for the last couple of months, so I decided to change things up and give this a try.
I'm also insulin resistant, and this diet seems to help that out too. I was a full fledged diabetic, but I've gotten that down to where I don't need meds anymore, and can keep it in check by dieting and exercise.

So, long story short, lol, although it was a bit long, I'm here to give this a try. I've read the book and understand how it works. It was pretty interesting. Tomorrow we're going to go grocery shopping and get all the stuff we need for the yummy recipes. Today I'm just trying to stay away from the carbs that are not allowed for Phase 1.

Anyhow, good luck to all of us and may we meet our goals in a healthy way!
Debbie

Fat Melanie
06-15-2008, 02:47 PM
I got the stuff to make the taco stuffed bell peppers, which I'm making today. They will be topped with reduced fat cheddar cheese, salsa, and reduced fat sour cream. Served with a salad and light dressing, and the extra fat free refried beans maybe mixed with salsa and heated.

I got up late today, because we were up nearly all night last night. So I ate breakfast and lunch combined. Apparently I didn't eat enough, though, because I'm still hungry. I think I'm going to eat some more hummus and veggie sticks to kill the craving.

I am excited about dinner. The bad thing is, after purchasing the stuff yesterday to make the bell peppers, and a few other things to eat for lunches, I now have $52 to buy groceries for the month. Is anyone really, really good at budgeting and can help me figure out what to buy for the rest of the month to store in the freezer? My friend offered to help me and I'm gonna see what she has to says, but the sort of cheap stuff she buys is frozen white bread pizzas and dark meat chickens and stuff like that. That's not stuff I can have on the SBD.

Right now I'm trying to lose 15 lbs, and eventually lose 55lbs in all. Already lost 40-some lbs of pregnancy weight by cutting back on calories and trying to eat more whole wheat stuff.

Good luck to you guys, I am glad I am not alone in starting phase one.

Fat Melanie
06-15-2008, 02:52 PM
Aurelai, how do you make that turkey chili??? It sounds delicious. I agree with you, this stuff doesn't taste like diet food. Someone on one of my other threads recommended trying lunch meat roll ups spread with lowfat cream cheese and pickles, and it is so good ( I used oven roasted turkey deli meat), plus hummus and veggies. Never had hummus before but am glad I tried it, it is a delicious dip. Good luck to you and your husband and good luck on the road to better health.

Good luck Debbie54, that is awesome how you managed to get off your meds by healthier eating. :D

Auralei
06-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Actually I think I found the white chili recipe right here, will look for the link in a bit. I used turkey breast cut up into bite sized pieces, great northern beans, diced green chilies, onions, cumin, garlic, pepper, crushed red pepper, FF low sodium chicken broth and some water, stuck it all in the huge crockpot overnight. Hubby woke up this morning and wanted to try it right away, it smelled so good ;) At lunch we put some ff cheese and a little ff sour cream on it, and it was wonderful, filled us up nicely along with some raw veggies.

Tonight is going to be the meatball dish I saw in the recipe links, he loves Italian food and I thought it would be nice for Father's Day :) I absolutely love the recipe section here, addicted to it already *grin*

We ran to the store to buy more fresh veggies, and Kroger had a bunch of summer fruit on sale. They just couldn't wait two weeks until we're done with Phase I, could they? :P I have to laugh about it, fruit, bread and potatoes are major weaknesses with us, but the trade-off with the cheese, nuts, etc... is just fine. We're determined to make this work :)

Hope everyone has a great day, and thanks for the support!

Fat Melanie
06-15-2008, 04:01 PM
MMM, I just love crockpot cooking, that recipe sounds so delicious. Seems like it's a great recipe on a budget, too, and could freeze for later as well. I love the recipe section too, we're making the stuffed green peppers tonight for Father's Day, boyfriend is excited, he has no idea that he's eating 'diet' food. I bought reduced fat cheese and sour cream, I will not tell him, so he will eat it, and probably can't tell a difference.

Oh that meatball recipe, I can't WAIT to try it, I'm going to make it with a side of noodles for my bf, and then myself, just eat the meatballs. Fruit, bread, and potatoes are a major weakness for me as well, I keep going to the fridge and rooting around, and am so tempted to make a full-out sandwich or crackers with my hummus, but so far so good, I've stayed resolute. (Although it's only been half a day and I've only been up a few hours so I hope my will doesn't crack. I can't wait to make those peppers so I am filled up. I hope you guys make it work, good luck! :D

Auralei
06-15-2008, 04:21 PM
I'll for sure let you know how the meatballs turn out. We're having them with the "surprise mashed potatoes" and probably a spinach salad. Those stuffed peppers sound wonderful, I'll have to try those next week.

You're right about the chili being great for the budget. I'm actually amazed that our grocery bill wasn't sky-high with the lean meats, veggies, dairy, but it was about the same or less than what I would have spent before the diet. And it seems like we bought more actual food, if that makes sense, nothing in prepackaged boxes. And anything I can make in my crockpot is perfect for our family. It's a huge one I got for Christmas one year, and makes a ton of soup, stew, chili, and with us two plus 18 year-old twin sons, the more food the better lol. BTW I gave them the old snacks to hide in their bedrooms, the microwave popcorn, chips, etc... don't want to be tempted *grin*.

Back to my cooking, getting egg muffins ready for the week, yet another great recipe. Hopefully once I get the hang of this I can contribute to that forum, meanwhile I'm copy/pasting everything in sight :P

Oh, roasted red pepper hummus and celery = divine. Take care!

grneyedmustang
06-15-2008, 05:13 PM
Count me in. I'm starting phase one tomorrow. Meal plan:

Breakfast: Plain yogurt, with mixed in sugar free jello powder
Snack: Reduced fat cheddar cheese stick
Lunch: Turkey roll ups with Cilantro lime mayo, sugar free jello
Snack: Hummus with celery
Dinner: Baked chicken with roasted eggplant and a salad with italian dressing
Dessert: Mocha ricotta creme

Exercise - 20 minutes weight training, 40 minutes cardio

I'm actually excited about starting phase I and kicking the weight loss into high gear! :carrot:

Auralei
06-15-2008, 05:21 PM
Grneyedmustang, will you let me know how the ricotta cremes are? I've seen mixed reviews so haven't bought the ingredients yet. We're doing the yogurt with sugar free jello mix added in for now, though some of those peanut butter desserts sound awesome. Good luck, fellow Georgian :)

grneyedmustang
06-15-2008, 05:33 PM
Good luck to you also! I will definitely keep you posted on how the ricotta creme desserts fare out. They don't sound too bad...but we'll have to see....

Does anyone know if Jello sugar free pudding is allowed on phase I? They have a really good dark chocolate one that works when you need a sugar free, low calorie dessert. I didn't see anything about it in the book...

Ruthxxx
06-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Sorry but SF puddings don't happen until Phase II.

I found the ricotta desserts sort of grainy but learned to add a bit of skim milk to smooth them out. Remember to keep an eye on serving size. Ricotta - even low fat - is fairly high calorie. You'd be better with sf vanilla yogurt - cheaper too!

Auralei
06-15-2008, 05:51 PM
Cheaper is just fine by me lol

btw Meatball recipe is wonderful, and surprisingly easy, I will be making these again for sure!

briezee
06-16-2008, 12:33 AM
I started on Saturday. Saturday, I did okay. Today, not so good. That time of the month showed up midmorning bring it's normal cramps and headache and I ran around like crazy today trying to keep my mind off the cramps and nausea. If I managed even 700 calories, I'm lucky.

I'm not really following a lot of the meal plans in the book, though, instead I'm creating my own meals. I don't like veggie juices, seafood, and I picky about the meat I do it. Luckily, I live by myself and am willing to eat leftovers, so I figure I only have to figure out 11 4-serving meals for the entirety of phase I.

I did buy the SF jell-o recommended by the book. I eat tons and tons of fruit, so I really need the flavors of jell-o to keep me going. I'm also a chocoholic, and going cold-turkey in other diets has caused me to binge on chocolate in the past (I've only ever binged on chocolate and fruits, how odd is that?). I've developed an intolerance to high fructose corn syrup since them, and more than a few m&ms give me several bouts of nausea (doesn't stop me from wanting them though and making myself sick). If anyone makes the mocha ricotta cream, let me know how it is, please. That might be my saving grace as far as the chocolate goes.

I'm already a pro at reading labels due to the HFCS intolerance, so at least the shopping still takes the same amount of time!

laylagypsy
06-16-2008, 01:26 AM
Hi Melanie. I am also 22, just started the south beach diet last week, and also in need of support! I'm finding it hard to go out on the weekend with my friends... they all want to go to the bar. we're allowed to have wine during phase 2 but phase one is no alcohol at all! Do you have any problem with this?

Ohh and if you like dips ( i saw you were talking about hummus) i can tell you how to make good tzatziki dip, (the creamy white dip they put on gyros at greek restaurants), it's made with greek yogurt and great on veggies!

murphmitch
06-16-2008, 09:51 AM
The mocha ricotta cremes are only as good as the quality of the ricotta you buy. I have tried 3 or 4 brands & some of the cheaper store brands are very grainy. The Sargento is very watery. I like the Frigo brand. It costs a little more but the texture & flavor is more appealing to me. You may have to try several to find what you like.

michmich
06-16-2008, 10:27 AM
Good morning! I am starting SB today. I want to lose 15-20 lbs., but would be happy with 10 lbs. I don't want to set myself up for unrealistic pressure (and failure) - so I'm starting with the smaller goal. I'm 5'3 and 145 lbs right now and would be really comfortable at 130, but like I said, I'll take the 10. Baby steps.

I'm 40, Operations Manager, married with two teens. My DH is doing this with me, which will make it a heck of alot easier. We had our scrambled eggs, canadian bacon and V8 this morning. Yesterday I went to the grocery store, cut up all my veggies, made my own Excel chart and have our meals planned out for the week.

I have also set up a workout schedule. Every other day I will do the Jillian Michaels 30-day shred (scared of this one) and then on alternate days will do Interval Cardio training.

I'm really excited about this, really motivated and look forward to getting to know each of you better as we travel on this wonderful journey and meet these positive goals for ourselves!

Michelle

Auralei
06-16-2008, 10:29 AM
I'll give the ricotta cremes a try next weekend, if only to say "hey, I tried it". I may have to venture out to other grocery stores to track down a better variety of the cheeses we can have, my two stores are really limited for some reason. Though they do carry the Laughing Cow stuff, was happy to see that.

So far, so good on following the meal plan, though it seems that late evening is a little rough. That was my prime snacking time up until now. I went back and munched on salad stuff to stave off cravings, and had more water. All in all, first day was good for both me and hubby, and if we can get through this first week, I think we'll be fine. Hope everyone has a great day!

grneyedmustang
06-16-2008, 12:19 PM
I'll give the ricotta cremes a try next weekend, if only to say "hey, I tried it". I may have to venture out to other grocery stores to track down a better variety of the cheeses we can have, my two stores are really limited for some reason. Though they do carry the Laughing Cow stuff, was happy to see that.

So far, so good on following the meal plan, though it seems that late evening is a little rough. That was my prime snacking time up until now. I went back and munched on salad stuff to stave off cravings, and had more water. All in all, first day was good for both me and hubby, and if we can get through this first week, I think we'll be fine. Hope everyone has a great day!

Hey Auralei! What stores did you find the Laughing Cow cheese at? i haven't seen it anywhere.

Auralei
06-16-2008, 12:54 PM
Hi Mustang :)

I found it at both Walmart and Kroger. Kroger had it with the regular cheese section, and Walmart had it with the specialty deli cheeses.

Debbie54
06-16-2008, 05:26 PM
Fat Melanie, how did the stuffed peppers turn out? Yes, I'm glad I'm not the only one on Phase 1. It helps to have others doing the same thing. Good luck to you!

Auralei, oooooo noo! I hate when all the good sales happen when we aren't able to eat it! Hopefully in a couple weeks when we get to Phase 2, they will put them on sale again.
Evening was my worst time to snack too, but made it thru pretty well the last two nights. Hang in there

grneyedmustang, when you put the sf jello in the yogurt, do you put the whole packet in? That really sounds good. Safeway has Laughing Cow too. It's by the deli meats and stuff.

Michelle, sounds like you've got it all planned out and rarin' to go! Good luck!!

Doing good for day 2! Don't have cravings so far so I'm really happy about that. I did notice that I got kinda bloated after having my chicken and veggie stir fry....but it went away.

michmich
06-16-2008, 05:37 PM
Thanks, Debbie!

No cravings here, either. Getting ready to head out and do my first workout. I'm excited! Amazon buyers have given this DVD great reviews.

Have a great evening!

Auralei
06-16-2008, 06:10 PM
Debbie, having this forum really helps, you're so right. So much information and great support!

Getting ready to make dinner (chicken with avocado and swiss). I was kindof draggy today, but read that it's normal with the huge change in my diet. Bright side, I ate my meals and snacks like I'm supposed to, and tons of water. My husband had the same thing today, just tired and draggy, but the snacks helped pull us out of it a bit. It's going to take a few days to adjust, I guess, so we're being patient.

I wanted to ask, we found some of those filet mignons with the bacon wrapped around them on sale? I know the filet itself is fine and bacon is a no-no, but if I take it off will it be okay? If not, I guess my sons get a special treat :P

Have a great evening, y'all :)

grneyedmustang
06-16-2008, 11:55 PM
grneyedmustang, when you put the sf jello in the yogurt, do you put the whole packet in? That really sounds good. Safeway has Laughing Cow too. It's by the deli meats and stuff.

I only used maybe a quarter of the packet? It did need 3 packets of splenda though. It worked though, I had my morning yogurt and it wasn't bad.

I tried the Mocha Ricotta Creme for dessert tonight. It was a bit bland. I guess I like my chocolate more intense, LOL. Everything else I've tried has been good! I made the taco soup for my second snack today, it was quite good! It's actually tomorrow's lunch :dizzy: And I'm pleased to say I wasn't hungry at all today!

And as far as the no alcohol thing - that one might be kind of rough. I might have to stay out of the club for a few weeks :)

One day down, thirteen more to go!

Auralei
06-17-2008, 08:18 AM
Good morning, all! I hope everyone is doing well.

I'm trying not to get frustrated today, as when I weighed myself this morning I'd gone up a little bit. I've been sticking to my meal plan since we started Sunday, and am keeping track of calories, fats, etc... with a website I found. Everything I've had has been fine and I haven't overeaten. Maybe it's the PMS thing, at least I hope it is.

I'm going to do some light exercise today, stationary bike and walking up and down our stairs. I've been pretty much sedentary for a while now. Just hoping I don't get that fatigue and "icky" feeling later today like I did yesterday. If I do, I have the emergency chili :D

Mustang, the no-alcohol part is a bit tough, as we like our wine and beer here on weekends. Hey, at least we're saving money that way, right? Can you tell I'm searching frantically for that silver lining? lol

Have a great day, all!

michmich
06-17-2008, 10:15 AM
Good morning, SB buds....

I was a picture-perfect beacher yesterday. I also did my first Jillian Michaels 30-Day Shred workout. That was a bear - I thought I was going to die - and right about that time it was finished. Thank goodness!!! We also had a great dinner, chicken breasts, sauteed spinach w/garlic and black beans. It was yum!

The scale showed I was down 2 lbs. today. Guess I was holding onto some water weight - maybe the chinese food I had on Sunday?

No-alcohol is a biggie for me, too. I really enjoy my glass of red wine in the evenings, but I'm sticking with it. Two weeks is two weeks - I can do it. The weekends will be even harder, but I'll muddle through. And yes, it'll be a nice savings for sure!!

How's everybody this morning?

Debbie54
06-17-2008, 01:06 PM
Auralei, how did the chicken turn out? I plan on making that tonight. It sounds really yummy.

grneyedmustang, thanks for the info!

Michelle, good news on the two pounds gone already. I'm down 2 also! :woohoo: for us!!

Auralei
06-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Debbie, the chicken was amazing, especially with some salsa to dip it in. I will for sure be making that again, everyone loved it. I was amazed, had one piece of chicken, lots of squash and salad, and was completely full. That's one awesome part of this, I am not starving, and the food is wonderful so far.

Headachey today, but more energy. I'll be glad when the "flu" part of this (if that's what it is) passes. Ibuprofen and beans to the rescue!

Steen
06-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Hi all, I'm on Day 2 following the book, but jumping around taking food from different days. I think the fact that I am at my heaviest right now and in a whole new 100s category is enough for me to keep going.

Cheers to all the newbies! :hug:

michmich
06-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Auralei - Advil and Beans!!! LOL! This cracked me up! What's the chicken recipe that you made?

Whats for dinner tonight, everyone?

I'm making Shrimp, Coleslaw and Pinto Beans. YUM.

Auralei
06-17-2008, 06:20 PM
lol Mich, trying to keep my sense of humor even though I'm not feeling great. The chicken recipe is listed here under entrees in the P1 section, it's a baked chicken with avocado and swiss cheese, and it was really good. Tonite is still taco bake, with salad, and tomorrow I'm thinking of trying the parmesan crusted Tilapia. I meant to make some hummus today but just couldn't get into it, and I don't want to mess it up the first time I attempt to make it. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day, and this yucky phase will pass. Atlanta's heat/humidity isn't helping much, my sinuses are going crazy :(

Have a great evening, everyone!

Fat Melanie
06-17-2008, 10:39 PM
Mmm that chicken sounds really good.. especially since I love avocado and swiss cheese is like my favorite cheese... I like to eat plain slices of it for snacks.

Fat Melanie
06-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Hi Melanie. I am also 22, just started the south beach diet last week, and also in need of support! I'm finding it hard to go out on the weekend with my friends... they all want to go to the bar. we're allowed to have wine during phase 2 but phase one is no alcohol at all! Do you have any problem with this?

Yes, yes, a million times yes! Lol! My best friend always wants me to get a babysitter for the weekend to go drink with her- she is childless and is quite the drinker. I can't go out every weekend like she and I used to do, but a few times I've gotten a babysitter and we get drunk (I know, I know, others may dissaprove, lol.) Sometimes she comes over during the week and we'll have some mixed drinks or some beers. And my mother is a major problem with this because she likes to drink on her every day off, and will come over and try to peer-pressure me into drinking beers with her!

It's going to be really hard to resist. I told my mother under no circumstances is she to bring me any beer. I told my friend I was cutting out alcohol for awhile. Though during phase 2, I might have a beer instead of red wine.

So, I can completely feel ya on this one. So glad that I'm not alone !

Ohh and if you like dips ( i saw you were talking about hummus) i can tell you how to make good tzatziki dip, (the creamy white dip they put on gyros at greek restaurants), it's made with greek yogurt and great on veggies!

Ooh, yes please tell me. I love dips. That stuff sounds really delicious, the local greek place here puts stuff like that on their gyro things and I think it is delicious. Does it have cucumber in it???

Fat Melanie
06-17-2008, 10:49 PM
Fat Melanie, how did the stuffed peppers turn out? Yes, I'm glad I'm not the only one on Phase 1. It helps to have others doing the same thing. Good luck to you!

Hi Debbie, oh my god, those stuffed peppers were AMAZING!!! Bless the person who posted that recipe. My boyfriend said, 'no way is that diet food, these things are too damn good to be diet food!' Hehehehe.

I used ground turkey instead of beef, and added chopped onion and some minced cilantro along with the turkey and diced tomatoes & chiles. It looked beautiful. I topped the peppers with 2% milk cheddar, salsa, and reduced fat sour cream. I ate it with a side of salad and light dressing and the remaining refried beans w/ salsa and cilantro. (Just some side and serving suggestions!)

It was delicious.

Hey by the way you guys, I came up with a "lasagna" stuffed bell pepper recipe if anyone is interested, it can be used in phase one or two. It's under the recipe forum.

Fat Melanie
06-17-2008, 10:53 PM
To everyone else, good luck and everyone is doing great so far.

I admit that on day 2 (yesterday), I cheated. I have been affected with the "south beach flu" and after my first helping of tuna salad didn't help me feel any better, I got another plateful and scarfed down 9 wheat thins. But I accounted for it in my weightloss blog because I want to face up to the no-no's that I commit.

Today I didn't even eat lunch, I haven't had the appetite, but have drank a lot of fat free milk. Probably way more than I should have.

I am still the same weight, haven't lost any of the 'quick lbs' you're supposed to lose in phase one, but that's okay.

briezee
06-18-2008, 12:14 AM
Dinner tonight was Beef Lettuce wraps that I made up as I went along. They came out great.

I am part of a CSA Produce program where you buy a box of veggies every week from a local farm. I got the first box tonight. I now have 5 heads of lettuce in my fridge (and only 2 are the same), so I have some salad experimenting to do. I'm hoping have a big box of veggies show up every week will get me out of the cooking rut I've been in. It should definitely get me eating more veggies. I used to eat them all the time (used to crave them even), but for the past year, I've been ignoring them.

I'm on day four of phase I. I don't think I have the "SB Flu", but I'm not sure. Time of the month showed up on day 2, and brought it's normal migraine and cramps with it. Then yesterday, we had an emergency at work, so I had to work an extra few hours (between 8:30 and midnight, after working my normal 8-4:30 shift), so things got screwed up there. I am feeling pretty good today. Because of the time of the month, I'm holding off weighing myself.

I am finding that I'm staying pretty full on this plan. In order to get my 5 cups of veggies in a day, I've given myself an extra snack, which is where I eat my lunch salad. Lunch is generally leftovers from the previous night.

Hope those of you with the "flu" get better soon!

Auralei
06-18-2008, 09:24 AM
Good morning everyone!

Briezee, your CSA produce program sounds wonderful. We've gone through so many veggies over the past few days, would be nice to get fresh produce in bigger quantities for a reasonable price. I may do some googling to see if they have a program in my area.

Yesterday that "flu" hit me hard, the headache would not budge, even with chili and dairy. I ended up taking a nap, but felt a bit better when I woke up. So far this morning I feel okay, just sinus stuff, but that I can deal with. It's supposed to be cooler in my area today, too, so that will help alot.

My plan today is to stay *away* from the scale! I need to beat into my head the fact that P1 isn't the weight loss phase. Trying to keep motivated by thinking about how much healthier our diet is. I have bloodwork in a month or so to check thyroid and cholesterol levels, so I'm hoping there's a nice change there.

If anyone has any yummy dessert recipes for P1 that are "celebratory", please let me know? Hubby's bday is coming up next week, so I would like to make something special. He loves cheesecake, peanut butter, ice cream, that kind of thing.

Have a great day!

michmich
06-18-2008, 09:59 AM
Good morning, girls....

Such delish food discussion! I'm hitting the recipes this morning. That chicken sounds wonderful.

Melanie - no beers!!! ;) Good for you for telling Mom and not succumbing to the peer pressure. I've been thinking so much about this and the bottom line is we are the only ones that have control over our bodies - we should treasure them and treat them as best we can. I will, however, be looking forward to my occasional glass of red during phase 2. Hey, Dr. Red Duke prescribes 1-2 glass of red wine/day for health. Who can argue with that? :hat: I'm going to have to try those bell peppers. I bet my DH would love them.

Auralei - Good morning. Hope you're feeling better today. I haven't had the "flu" symptoms yet. I was a little grumpy last night, but I think I was just dissatisfied with my dinner. I made the Parmesan Garlic Shrimp, which was fantastic, but I had really wanted to serve it with Spaghetti Squash. The grocery store didn't have any, though. We had shrimp, cole slaw that I tried making w/yogurt (yuck) and edamame. I'm excited about the Taco Bake tonight. Hehe. :D

briezee - I'm really curious about the CSA program. That sounds like a fantastic deal. I wonder if they have it around here. :hyper:

I did my workout again last night and I can barely walk today, but I have to say I love it. For 30 minutes, it's a killer and I just know I'm going to have good results with it. I'm very proud of myself. I've been such a couch potato lately and it feels really good to be doing something.

Good morning to everyone else - hope your days are starting out beautifully! :cloud9:

Michelle

briezee
06-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Auralei, that reminds me, I really need to get to the lab this week to get blood drawn. My doc is working on figuring out the level of synthroid I need.

It took me a year to find my CSA. I finally found the site localharvest.org and they have a nationwide finder of CSA programs. If you google Grant Family Farms, you can see the one I found.

Dinner letdowns are terrible. Been there, done that. It does make you want something that will be good.

michmich
06-18-2008, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the link, briezee.

Tonight I'm making the Taco Bake - so I'm very excited! :carrot:

chiquita623
06-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Hi Everyone. I'm Laurie and I am currently on LA Weight Loss and have been stuck since Christmas at 180 and would like to lose another 15 pounds or so. I'm hoping that by changing my eating will trigger some movement on the scale. Monday, the 23rd, is my birthday and I am going to start this WOE on Tuesday the 24th. I will be on vacation next week so my first week should go really well. I have already gone through the recipe section to get some recipes for dinner so that shouldn't be a problem. Planning is key to success I'm thinking. I just wanted to pop in and introduce myself and tell you all that I look forward to this journey with you all. If this isn't the right thread for this, I apologize.

michmich
06-18-2008, 11:10 AM
Well, I found one! They don't have home delivery, but you can order online and the p/u location is right around the corner from my house. VERY cool!

Auralei
06-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Michelle, the taco bake is soooo good, and very filling. I'll be having that for lunch today, too. Tonight is the parmesan crusted tilapia, with asparagus and spinach salad.

Briezee, I've been taking Synthroid (the generic version) for around 4 years. Last month my doctor upped mine to 100mcg, and it seems to be helping. Hypothyroid symptoms are no fun, the fatigue, dry, coarse skin and hair, plus hair loss and always either really cold or really hot. Not to mention pounds seem to not want to come off! I had always been thin until I hit 38, between some bipolar meds I was taking and the thyroid thing I ballooned. It's a huge wake-up call, realizing that no, I can't (nor shouldn't) eat everything under the sun anymore.

I did find some CSA programs in Atlanta through google, and a nice Farmer's Market on Saturdays here in my town. Only problem will be walking past the bakery vendors - anyone have some blinders I can borrow? :P

Welcome, Laurie, and happy early birthday! My husand's is the 24th :) Gogo Cancer babies! I hope you like it here, everyone is so helpful and supportive.

chiquita623
06-18-2008, 12:19 PM
I am on Synthroid also. 175 mcg. My doctor told me that weight loss would be very slow so I am trying to keep a positive attitude about everything.

Parmesean Crusted Tilapia - sounds yummy.. Where can I find the recipe?

Thanks everyone!! I'll pop in again later.

Debbie54
06-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Hi Steen, welcome and good luck to ya!! It's been good for me so far on SB. I'm not hungry at all and can't believe all the food we get to eat and I'm still not getting all my calories in. (I used to count calories before SB, so I'm still keeping tabs)

Auralei, We had the chicken swiss thingie last night. It was pretty good!! I cooked my chicken about 5 minutes longer than the recipe says and then under the broiler and it was great! Hope your feeling better today.
I've never had hummus, what does it taste like?

Michelle, I'm making the taco bake!! I looooooooove Mexican food so this is right up my alley. My mouth was watering when I was reading the recipe!!

Melanie, I do the same thing with the swiss. YUM! The peppers sounds great, I'm gonna have to try that one plus the one you invented. Thanks for posting them!
And just hang in there Mel, it will get better. I had to keep running to the bathroom yesterday, not fun, but it's passed so far for today.

briezee, hope you see a big loss when you do weigh in. Those periods can sure mess a person up, can't they?

Hi Laurie, and welcome!!

I take hypothroid meds too. I even asked them to check it here lately because my hair is just falling out big time. But it came back right on track. So I'm wondering why I'm still losing hair. I think maybe when I was counting calories, I wasn't getting enough fat, so maybe since I switched to SB, it will help and it will stop. I hated the dry skin and tiredness too. I'm glad my doctor found out what it was.
Have a great day ladies, and don't forget to drink that water!
Debbie

Auralei
06-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Laurie, I found the recipe at Kalyn's Kitchen website, she has some yummy stuff up there. I'm sure the recipe is also in the recipe section here, too. I'll be baking ours instead of doing the skillet method, and I read that you can do the same thing with chicken and it tastes great. We love tilapia, but I was always flouring it and frying it (bad, bad me), lately I've been baking it in foil with spices and veggies. I'm just craving something fried-tasting right now, and I think this may fit the bill :)

Debbie, glad you liked the chicken recipe. There is a crockpot salsa chicken dish that I plan to make Friday, love love LOVE spicey food. Hummus is basically a dip made from chickpeas and spices. I wasn't too sure about it until we picked up some roasted red pepper hummus and had it with celery, and oh lordy, it was so good. I'm going to try to make some today, since I'm feeling a ton better and have some energy.

Sounds like most of us are past the icky flu phase, at least I hope so! Hang in there!

michmich
06-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Have you guys seen the Broiled Tilapia Parmesan recipe on Allrecipes? I believe it could be adapted for SBD-P1 and it is SOOO good.

Welcome, Laurie! Look forward to getting to know you better.

Morning, Debbie and Steen. :D

briezee
06-18-2008, 02:07 PM
What is really frustrating for me with the thyroid is that a lot of doctors don't have the updated guidelines. I was in the high normal of the old guidelines, so my doctor didn't want to treat me until I really argued with her. She's pretty resistant to changing my meds. I'm on 75 mcg. Auralei, too hot?! I don't think I've ever been too hot in my entire life! (I thrive when the temperature is in the 90s and freeze once the temperature is below 70.) I do have most of the other symptoms - thankfully my hair is nice and shiny, just thin. I have alopecia back in my genes, so my hair is kind of cursed.

Debbie, In 2003-2004, I did WW. Once a month, I would go through my food journal and figure out calories, protein, carbs and fat for a week. A lot of the time, I had less than 10% fat in my diet. When that happened, any weight loss would stall. I ended up switching from skim milk to 1% around then. I think I added 3 hershey kisses to my diet each as well, just to up the fat content of my diet. (Most of my fat came from chocolate in those days. I used to eat 2-3 candy bars a day. That's the one good thing about an HFCS intolerance, I can't tolerate as much junk.)

Auralei
06-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Briezee, funny about doctors not wanting to listen. When I first started having symptoms, my old doctor refused to do a second blood workup even though the first one showed my levels were off. He didn't think the situation warranted it, and shrugged off the symptoms as a virus. I ended up finding a wonderful doctor closer to home, who listened, did a full workup, and started me on a low dose of synthroid and made sure I was in for follow up tests every few months. It's been a few years of monitoring and upping the dosage, but he pays attention, and he makes sure to test cholesterol, etc... too. Very thorough, very kind and supportive. Thanks to him I came off of all the psych meds that had horrible side effects, too, since once my thyroid stabilized my moods became so much better. I hope we never move elsewhere, because I would beg him to move, too :D

I snuck onto the bathroom scale earlier, even though I said I wouldn't. Those 2 pounds I gained? They've gone away. I'm amazed that I haven't put on a ton of water weight like I usually do at this particular time. Something is working, so I'm happy :)

Fat Melanie
06-18-2008, 02:47 PM
Michmich, I will try my best not to even touch a beer. I think I can do it for these two weeks, but in phase 2 it will be hard. I think I'm just gonna have to try some red wine at that point.

Thanks Debbie! Today I'm starting to feel slightly better, hope you are as well.

Fat Melanie
06-18-2008, 03:08 PM
So everyone else, how are you guys doing so far? Anyone else getting the SBD "flu"? Any cheats?

Also, any ideas on what sort of stuff I can eat? Today I woke up and was like, urggh, I don't even want to eat. Not that I felt sick, but I just didn't want to eat.

So I ate 4 slices of thin deli turkey (80 cals altogether) and a harboiled egg. I know that's not enough.

I think when I stop being lazy, I'm gonna make a salad with lettuce, tomato, shredded 2% milk cheddar, and shredded turkey, also the light italian dressing.

Sigh, I prefer ranch. Full fat ranch. But just a taste gets me by. I wonder if I could still do this diet and eat a salad with just a tablespoon or drizzle of full fat ranch? That's what makes a good salad to me. Italian dressing just doesn't do it for me.

I just don't know what to eat today. Plus I have to budget and figure out what to buy from the grocery store today. I had a lot of help from people on this site so I'm much more comfortable going to the store.

I keep thinking of those wheat thins in the cupboard... .. .. .

How are the rest of you doing?

ladybugnessa
06-18-2008, 03:13 PM
melanie full fat ranch is preferred over light italian.

michmich
06-18-2008, 03:58 PM
I'm doing great and feeling great so far.

Melanie,

I think you need to eat. And not wheat thins. ;) We're supposed to have 3 meals/2 snacks per day. Here's what my day looks like today, just to give you some ideas -

B-scrambled eggs/canadian bacon/V8
S-celery/laughing cow wedge
L-leftover shrimp over tossed salad w/SB Ranch Dressing
S-turkey/mozzarella rollup
D-Taco Bake
Dessert- No Sugar Fudgesicle :D (my reward for the day!)

grneyedmustang
06-18-2008, 07:12 PM
Auralei, are you talking about the Dekalb County farmer's market? I LOVE that place! :carrot: I went to Trader Joe's today after work and got some really nice things too.

I'm on day 3, and I didn't get the flu this week. Hopefully I'm not speaking too soon. I think I might have had the "Semi-South Beach" flu last week. I was previously on the weight watchers flex plan, until this week, and at the end of last week I tried to wean myself off the carbs because I knew I was doing SB this week. Last Thursday and Friday, I felt like crap after my workouts! I thought I was going to die when I left the gym! :tired: When I got home both days, I felt really "out of it" and didn't want to do anything for the entire evening. I'm hoping that WAS the "semi south beach flu" and I'm done with it. I am noticing that the cravings seem to be diminishing. :D:woohoo: And since I started weight watchers/south beach last month I'm down 15 pounds! Even if it's water weight, I'm happy! :D

Here was today's meal plan:

Brk: 3 slices canadian bacon, low sodium V8
Snack: Light Mozzarella Cheese Stick
Lunch: Taco Soup, Sugar Free Jello
Snack: 15 dry roasted, unsalted almonds
Dinner: Chicken sauteed with peppers, onions, and cheese; South Beach "mashed potatoes", Sauteed spinach

Today was my exercise "off day" - but I think I'll go walking as the sun sets.

Debbie54
06-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Auralei, never had chickpeas so I'm still wondering what it taste like. I've heard so many people really like it and honestly, I don't know why I haven't tried it. I guess it's the diet mentality that I have. :)

briezee, I was getting around 25% fat a day when I was counting calories. From what I read, that was a bit low. Yep, I have baldness running thru my family too. Gosh, I sure hope I don't go bald!!! :fr:

Melanie, yep, feeling lots better here too! I've lost 4 lbs so far but my regular weigh in is on Fridays. I'm a daily weigher though, it's a curse!
I've also found that I'm not hungry and don't want to eat, but I still eat. Usually it's a big salad with low sugar dressing like Blue Cheese, and I usually put some ham or turkey in it. I make it huge!! It's so filling and last for a long time. I've just gone on the recipe thread and found so many good and easy ones there. .

Michelle, your day pretty much looks like my days!

We had the taco bake tonight and just let me say....It was to die for!!! My hubby made it into a burrito, but I just put it on top of a bed of lettuce, added the olives, ff sour cream and tomatos. We'll be definitely making this again. We have leftovers for lunch tomorrow.
I'm not going to make those breakfast protein cheesecakes too often though. I find myself snacking on them just a bit too much.

grneyedmustang
06-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Debbie, it sounds like the protein cheesecakes are good, and definitely an alternative to eggs. What's in them?

briezee
06-18-2008, 09:21 PM
I'm definitely worried about baldness, too, Debbie. My mother's hair is so thin that when it's wet, you can barely tell she has hair. I would like to dye the grey out my hair, but am so afraid that the chemicals might make things worse. (My mother has dyed her hair since middle school.)

Dinner tonight is a ginormous salad made from the CSA bounty from last night with some mushrooms, pistachios and canned shrimp mixed in.

I've discovered that I like rhubarb plain (in small doses), how strange. I thinly sliced up a four inch long piece of rhubarb and threw it in my salad. I've only ever had rhubarb in pies and didn't really know what it tasted like, so I tried a piece. What a happy surprise.

I post all of my meals on the blog listed under my avatar if anyone needs more ideas. Today was:

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs with a slice of Canadian Bacon and half of a cucumber, sliced.
Snack: Greek yogurt (I used to sweeten this with honey and blueberries, and have discovered I actually do like it plain)
Lunch: Beef Lettuce Wraps, SF Jell-o
Snack: 1/4 cup kidney beans in tomato sauce
Dinner: Giant salad (butter lettuce, romaine, spinach, a radish, a couple mushrooms, celery, rhubarb, pistachios, and half a can of shrimp; all tossed with EVOO and Balsamic vinegar.)
Dessert: No clue yet.

murphmitch
06-18-2008, 09:34 PM
I think when I stop being lazy, I'm gonna make a salad with lettuce, tomato, shredded 2% milk cheddar, and shredded turkey, also the light italian dressing.

Sigh, I prefer ranch. Full fat ranch. But just a taste gets me by. I wonder if I could still do this diet and eat a salad with just a tablespoon or drizzle of full fat ranch? That's what makes a good salad to me. Italian dressing just doesn't do it for me.

You can have 2 Tbs. of full fat ranch, just one with no added sugar. I eat it every day with lunch.

Auralei
06-18-2008, 09:47 PM
Grneyedmustang, the market I found is on Marietta Square up here in Cobb. I haven't been to the Dekalb one, but really, really want to soon. Maybe I can talk hubby into a short drive down there one weekend :) I looked up Trader Joe's and found one on Roswell Road, will have to check that one out, too.

Debbie, the weird thing (for me) about chickpeas, I've put them on salads since I was a kid, and they don't really have a taste I can describe. The hummus has so many different spices in it. We tried a garlic/arthichoke one and the red pepper, and the latter just blew us away. They were on sale for a dollar so we picked one of each up to see if we liked it.

Tonight we had the parmesan crusted tilapia, and it was fabulous. Super easy to make, too, just an egg wash and "bread" the fish in the seasoned parmesan, then bake. It almost tasted breaded and fried, and I've been craving that so much. I even had seconds ;) I love dinner time so much now, wonderful food with no guilt.

I'm so glad everyone is feeling better. See you in the morning!

briezee
06-18-2008, 11:10 PM
Chickpeas I can take in small doses, but I can't stand hummus. As Auralei said, hummus is flavored all sorts of ways, so don't base its taste on that of chickpeas.

Tried the mocha ricotta creme tonight. By dumb luck, I had the branch that murphmitch recommended up thread. I liked it, so now I have another good snack to put into the rotation. I might try one of the other flavors for breakfast over the weekend to get away from eggs for a couple days. (Reason I say the weekend is that if I find it is not as feeling as I need it to be, I can more easily find something healthy to supplement it with.) It looks like it might be a good sweet breakfast for me instead of always having something savory or eggy.

Debbie54
06-19-2008, 01:18 AM
grneyedmustang, well, more eggs but it's also mixed with cottage cheese, cream cheese, vanilla and splenda. It calls for Neufatchel (sp) too, but I just used all 1/3 less fat cream cheese. The recipe is on the phase 1 thread. Very addicting though!!

briezee, I'm scared to dye the grey out too because of the chemicals. My Dad's the one that's bald in our family and my brother went bald really early too. I'm hoping it was because of the way I was eating before or my hypothroidism. I had that checked a couple of months ago though, and he said it was spot on. So I'll give it a couple months and see if it improves while on SB, and if not, I guess I have to accept the fact that it's in the genes.
I want to try the cremes too. Some of 'em sound pretty good.

Auralei, I guess I will just have to buy some and give it a taste so see if it's something I will like. (hummus) Thanks for trying to explain though.

I'm off for my shower and the news. Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow!!
Debbie

michmich
06-19-2008, 09:24 AM
GEM - congrats on the 15# - that's fantastic!

As for the hummus convo - we have the Athenos Roasted Red Pepper Hummus and it is SO good. We snack on it with red pepper strips - usually after work and before dinner. DH and I both love it. It's the best flavor I've found.

Had the Taco Bake last night - YUUUUUMMMMY. DH devoured it - even had seconds. No way I could. It was so filling.

I did my workout again - not nearly as sore today. I guess that's a good sign? My endurance is a little better everyday, which makes me very happy. I'm doing this!

How's everybody today? Hope any "flu symptoms" are past and we're kicking it in the SBD mode.

So, we're doing a Monday weigh-in? Scary - I hate the scale. I feel so good and it better not let me down.

michmich
06-20-2008, 09:45 AM
Hey, where are my SB buds? It's Friday! :carrot: How's everybody doing?

chiquita623
06-20-2008, 09:59 AM
Good Morning Fellow Beachers!! I think I can consider myseslf a Beacher even though I haven't officially started yet. I am so looking forward to starting on Tuesday. I am going to the grocery store on Sunday to get all stocked up on my foods for next week. I am hoping that by doing my first week while I am on vacation it will be easier to stick to plan. And hopefully the second week I will have things under control so as not to stray off plan. Where I work they are always bringing in stuff to eat and not the good for you stuff either!!! Oh well, just wanted to check in. I'll be back probably later today. Have a great Friday!!!

jandaman
06-20-2008, 10:07 AM
hi chicas! i hope there's room for one more!
i am a P1 repeat offender :)
and, for some reason, i just have not been able to stay on plan this time around. excuses excuses- end of school teaching stress, finals stress, moving stress, lost and now found! furbaby stress...etc etc you get the picture.
but now i feel ready (probably because my jeans are gittin tighter and tighter*grin*)and will start on saturday.

TGIF!!!!!

jan

briezee
06-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Yesterday was a pretty bad day for me. I can't tell if I stayed on plan or not. I know that milk and yogurt are limited to 2 cups collectively together a day. Does that limit include soft cheeses? To me, cheese is Dairy, so I'm a little confused on the "Dairy" limit. It was a rough day and I really didn't have a chance to really do dinner (I was waiting for my vet to call and tell me what was wrong with my puppy, and I knew I was going to have to go get some meds. She's turning out to be a little bit of a medical mystery.:?:), so I ended up grazing and went for jell-o, ricotta cheese (which I had earlier in the day, along with yogurt, and a little milk - hence the dairy question), turkey slices over the course of the night.

I'm so glad it's Friday. Tomorrow is my weekly knitting group. I did really well last week by eating at home instead of the coffee shop and getting an iced coffee that I put Splenda and skim milk in myself. Also have my monthly game night - which tends to be a snack fest. I'm going to take veggies along with me. My brother is hosting and if he serves any, he only eats 3 veggies - corn, carrots, and brussels sprouts. I can't stand the last one and the first two aren't for phase I. Tomorrow might just be a phase II day in the middle of my phase I :)

michmich
06-20-2008, 12:19 PM
briezee - :hug: I'm sorry you had a bad day. Is your puppy okay? I know how stressful that can be. My baby is just that - my baby! To answer your question, cheese is "dairy", which is separate from the 2 cups/day of milk. "Cheese" is "cheese" and milk/yogurt is "dairy". I hope today's better for you.

Welcome (back) Jan and Laurie! Glad you're joining us - the more, the merrier, I say. I am totally loving this WOE....Laurie, we have Panera Bread bagels sitting in the kitchen right now and I am not tempted at all. That's what I love about SB. My cravings are NIL - makes it alot easier to stay on plan. :D I have found the key for me this week has been planning. "Fail to plan and plan to fail" is pretty much it in a nutshell. I looked up recipes, did my shopping, created a spreadsheet and entered our meals for the week. Wala - it's been pretty easy!

I do have a challenge tomorrow. It's my Mom's birthday...we're grilling burgers and will be having cake/ice cream. :eek: I'll just have to set everybody straight about my diet, I guess. :snooty:
TGIF! WooHOO.

grneyedmustang
06-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Happy Friday everyone! :dance:

Michmich, thanks for the congrats! I appreciate it.

I am actually up a half a pound today. Hopefully its just muscle or water weight. My eating has been on plan so I'm not worried about it too much. I am also hitting the gym regularly too.

I love this so far because it really doesn't seem like I'm on a diet! Last night, I had a bison burger on the grill, with swiss cheese and sauteed onions, peppers, and mushrooms. I made a side of "south beach mashed potatoes" to go with it. I made 2 servings and ate the second burger and mashed potatoes for lunch today. Glad I did! People at work are like "You can eat like that on a diet?"

Briezee, I think you'll be okay just as long as you stay away from the hamburger buns, cake and ice cream.

Hi, Jan and Chiquita, welcome (back)! :dancer:

Here's to a good, on plan weekend everyone! :hat: And here's to entering the second week of phase 1!

Auralei
06-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Happy Friday, everyone!

Briezee, I hope things are better for you today, and that your puppy is going to be okay. We're big animal lovers, and it breaks my heart when they get sick :(

Mich, hope you have a great time tomorrow, and happy bday to your Mom :)

My husband has a 5 day weekend, with his bday on Tuesday. He'll be 40, so I get to tease him a bit like he did me 2 years ago :P

I am down a pound! *dance*

Hello and welcome to the new folks!

Have a great day, y'all!

briezee
06-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Good luck with all the birthdays. My mom's is on the 25th and mine is coming up on the second of July, so it is a week and a half of celebrations with the 4th in there, too. Everyone in my family has their own special birthday "cake". My dad's is pumpkin pie, my mom's is apple pie, my brother's is cake, and mine is icecream cake. Last year, I had to buy my own. I won't do that this year.

Michmich, any chance I could get a copy of that spreadsheet? I need to make something like that. Planning is a big necessity.

Good going, Auralei and GrnEyedMustang! Forgot to welcome Jan and Laurie! :o HI!

My puppy doesn't think anything is wrong. She has all the symptoms of a urinary track infection, except the culture shows no bacteria - which makes this really hard to track down and treat. She also doesn't really have bladder control. I'm told that the hormones from her first heat will help with that. She's only five months, so her first heat is a little way away. Unfortunately with all these issues, she's not yet house-trained, so is stained and stinky (need a smilie holding it's nose).It's frustrating, but it could be much, much worse. (And, you know, it's better than the fleas I brought home from a dog show. It's pretty expensive to treat both dogs and the three cats for fleas all at once...)

michmich
06-20-2008, 02:57 PM
briezee - its on my computer at home....I'll PM it this weekend.

I'm glad it's not something *serious* with your baby. Mine is 6 mos. old and I can totally relate to the house-training issue. He's stubborn and we're taking it one day at a time. But, I love him, anyway.

briezee
06-20-2008, 04:29 PM
I'll PM you my email if that is easier.

The boy in my avatar is now nearly 20 months old. He wasn't totally trained until he was 8 months, so I am used to this taking a while, but he had the basics down by now. (I guess it is my fault for loving a difficult to train breed, mine are both samoyeds.)

Debbie54
06-20-2008, 07:20 PM
Jan, :welcome:

briezee, don't feel bad. I sorta messed up too. I had 2.5 T of natural PB with some ff coolwhip sprinkled with nuts. I know I had too much coolwhip, but it was just so good, but not so good an hour later when it upset my stomach. Don't beat yourself up too much. It happens, just get back on the wagon and and try try try!
Beautiful boy you've got there!

Michelle, hope you made it thru the birthday. Those can be so trying!

Today we hit the veggie stand and really stocked up on all kinds of veggies. Lots that I haven't tried so I'm hoping I will like 'em.
Tonight we go to the fireworks show for the Berry Dairy Days. They have strawberry shortcake, but I can pass that up. My hubby sat there and ate a whole chocolate bar with almonds in it, so I can pass on the shortcake. I did get some more sugarfree popscicles and some skinny cow ice cream too.
Have a great rest of the day!
Debbie

briezee
06-20-2008, 09:05 PM
Debbie: Thanks for the compliment on Winter. One of my motivations for losing weight is that he is a show dog, and when he wins he gets his picture taken with me and the judge. I have a picture of the two of us up on my blog, where he looks absolutely stunning and I hate the way I look. What's the TBL goal in your signature?

Today was a much better day. I didn't think it was going to be - my other dog, Summer, the one I was referring to up-thread, was up all.night.long, barking and playing. I really can't tell when she needs out and when she just wants to play. Part of it came from she did not get as much playtime last night as she is used to. I was worried about that for tonight, too, as I was on call to go back to work, but I got a call saying they definitely won't need me.:D That gives them time to play and me time to eat and relax.

Food choices were definitely more balanced today than yesterday. Today is the end of the first week of phase I. I think I'm starting to get the hang of this!

michmich
06-20-2008, 10:38 PM
briezee - I e-mailed you the spreadsheet and a pic of my boy. Your boy is beautiful!!

Hey, Debbie! Have fun tonight!

Mom's bday is tomorrow- bought all the fixins for the family get-together. I have to make Mom's carrot cake in the morning. :fr: Wish me luck! We're grilling burgers .... I'll be having mine with my no bun, thank you. And I bought a veggie tray w/ranch dip to nibble on. All should be good.

DH is really buying into this WOE....that really helps and makes it all the easier!

Fat Melanie
06-21-2008, 03:49 AM
Hi you guys... hope you're all doing much better than me!

Last night, after not eating much all day, I went straight for a little debbie's boston creme roll. It didn't taste good, tasted too sugary, which probably was a good sign that my body is becoming healthier and getting rid of all these bad carbs...

....but today I did even worse. I caved and ate another boston creme roll, a little debbie's brownie, and then a subway sub. Was gonna make chili but forgot to throw all the stuff in the crockpot. Didn't know until someone in another thread told me that I could have made a quick-chili.

I will say this though. Not to make excuses in any way, I know I did wrong. But after scarfing down that sugary junk like a zombie, I did make the conscious decision to get whole wheat bread on my sub. And I got tons of veggies. At least that part was good... (heh...) I know. I know. I really screwed up. But afterwards, I made some roasted spiced chickpeas for a snack and I decided I am NOT giving up, tomorrow is a new day and all is not lost. I'm getting right back on it tomorrow, and to penalize myself, I'm adding an extra 3 days to this phase 1 ****! I can do it.

I heard someone say they are weighing in on Monday, that's cool because that's the day I've decided to weigh in on as well. Is everyone else doing the same? Are we all to post our new weights on that day? I am!!! I hope I haven't done too much damage to myself.

Another thing I wanted to say, as far as hummus goes, I recently tried it for the first time. I tried it once 3 years ago, a black olive hummus, and did not like it at all. But I bought some roasted garlic hummus, and then some spinach and artichoke hummus, 'cause it was on sale. MMMM. The roasted garlic was the best. At first I felt it had a weird texture in my mouth, but I got over that, and now I love it. But I really love this roasted chickpeas, I soaked the beans then let them sit, then cooked them, then drained them and mixed them with some smart balance margarine (cause it has good healthy oils in it), and roasted it until brown and crisp, then tossed it in a tupperware container with mrs dash table blend, food lion soul seasoning, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder.

MMMMMMMMM!!!! If you crave salty crap, that's definitely the snack for you. It's so tasty! Reminds me of corn nuts, kinda, sorta. You would think I am a sugar freak, but really I'm not. I've always preferred salty/crunchy stuff to sweets, I would choose crackers with dips anyday.

But I'm gonna try the ricotta creme sometime, because believe me, I still do really love sweet stuff too. I have some splenda and I'm ready to use it!

I hope no one thinks badly of me for screwing up like I did. I do try to take accountability because I don't want to lie to myself or anyone else. I hope everyone will understand and support me in continuing on with phase one.

Good luck everyone!!!!

Fat Melanie
06-21-2008, 03:56 AM
I am glad to hear I can have 2 tablespoons of ranch. Mmm, ranch. Raaaaanch!

I checked my light dressing though, it has no sugar in it, it's just red wine vinegar, olive oil, spices, etc. So it still should be okay, although I am really not crazy about italian dressing.

Fat Melanie
06-21-2008, 03:58 AM
Briezee, that's your dog? Awww! What a beautiful puppy!!

Ruthxxx
06-21-2008, 06:33 AM
Chickies, please join us in the daily chat so we can all get to know you better.

Is anyone having to page through more than three pages to get here. If so, see the sticky above and adjust your profile.

jandaman
06-21-2008, 07:09 AM
good morning phase oners!!

melanie..please don't beat urself up..this WOE is conceptualized so that we can git right back on the wagon with v minimized damage. no worries. i think we've all been there..'specially me ;))

good luck on withstanding temptation michmich:dust:

debbie, good on ya! re-discovering veggies is awesome, isn't it? i still find myself occasionally in the produce section of the local health food store, scratchin my head in wonderment :)

briezee..yup..poochie is adorable.

me: moving, packing etc. so i am getting my exercise in! will whip up a huge pot of turkey chili later..that should last me for a while! see ya ladies

Auralei
06-21-2008, 08:20 AM
Melanie, I discovered two wonderful, easy recipes for dessert and a snack that may help with the cravings. One is the frozen peanut butter cup (ff cool whip, SF chocolate syrup, natural peanut butter) and the other is turkey pepperoni chips (put them on a paper towel on a plate and nuke for about a minute). The peanut butter cups are really, really good, and the pepperoni helps a ton with salty cravings. They're almost like chips. I am a huge snacker, and it can be a problem, especially if I'm alone and bored or upset, but SB sure gives us alot of options where snacks are concerned. You can do this :) Hang in there!

I'll weigh in Monday, too, though I hopped on the scale this morning and am down another 2 pounds. I haven't been below 150 in forever and a day, and I feel terrific about it. We had to run to Target and some other places yesterday, and that side of town has a ton of restaurants, it was tough. Atlanta Bread Company is right there, and I love that place, but we resisted and came home to leftover Phillie Cheesesteak Chicken. That dinner is so yummy.

Lots to do today, shopping and some other stuff, hope everyone has a great day!

Ruthxxx
06-21-2008, 09:44 AM
Looks like everyone is hanging in there. It does get easier!

I will start a new thread for Phase I folks tomorrow morning so new folks can join in.

Remember to move slowly into Phase II after two weeks, OK? Phase I is for detox, rather than weightloss, and does not supply the full range of needed nutrients. Be sure to check out the FAQ stickies.

briezee
06-21-2008, 10:11 AM
There are several of the PB-cup type snack recipes that I've run across, that I wish I could try, but as far as I'm aware Cool Whip contains HFCS, which I can't have. Could anyone check the ingredients for me?

Today's going to be slightly off plan, as I'm visiting my family for game night. My brother's cooking, and I'll eat whatever he makes. (Normally, he'd order pizza, so cooking's a better step.) But, I'm bringing my own veggies and nuts to snack on, as I think he'll provide chips, cookies and chocolate. So instead of today being Phase I, Day 8, tomorrow will be instead. Today I'll stick as close to Phase II as possible.

Now, off to wash the little puppy.

Ruthxxx
06-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Cool Whip Ingredients:
WATER, CORN SYRUP, HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (COCONUT AND PALM KERNEL OILS), HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, LESS THAN 2% OF SODIUM CASEINATE (FROM MILK), NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, XANTHAN AND GUAR GUMS, POLYSORBATE 60, SORBITAN MONOSTEARATE, BETA CAROTENE (COLOR).
Cool Whip Sugar Free:
COOL WHIP SUGAR FREE:

Ingredients: WATER, CORN SYRUP*, HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (COCONUT AND PALM KERNEL OILS), LESS THAN 2% OF SODIUM CASEINATE (FROM MILK), NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, XANTHAN AND GUAR GUMS, POLYSORBATE 60, SORBITAN MONOSTEARATE, SODIUM POLYPHOSPHATES, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM AND ASPARTAME* (SWEETENERS), BETA CAROTENE (COLOR). *ADDS A TRIVIAL AMOUNT OF SUGAR. **PHENYLKETONURICS: CONTAINS PHENYLALANINE.

Makes you want to go hmmmmmmm. Ingredients are listed in quantity levels, meaning that the largest ingredient is listed first and then down from there.

This is FRANKENFOOD

When in doubt, Goodle the item for ingredients!

briezee
06-21-2008, 10:45 AM
Ruth, thanks! My googling led me everywhere except to a list of ingredients. Plenty of stuff to stay away from with those! (I always remember cool whip as being one of those things that you had to have at exactly the right temperature and humidity or it would turn gummy. I've been leery of it for that reason.)

grneyedmustang
06-21-2008, 10:50 AM
Good morning everyone!

Briezee, your dog is adorable! Hope its feeling better.

Melanie, hang in there! Try not to beat yourself up too bad, and we're not here to judge you, because we have bad days too! If you have a bad day, dust yourself off and vow to have a good day the next day. Try not to let a bad day turn into a bad week.

Auralei, congrats on the weight loss! Feels good, doesn't it! And I'm glad you're enjoying the chicken cheesesteak. It really doesn't seem like DIET FOOD!

Michmich, good luck with today! I have a similar challenge today. My friends and I are all hanging out. So I spoke to one of them yesterday and I asked her if we were doing anything special as a group. She's like "yeah, we're going out for pizza". I know this might be selfish, but I wish we could have made a collective decision on where we're going! I think I may just tell them that I'll meet them after they have pizza. I don't know if I'm quite ready for the temptation just yet.

I've had a good breakfast today, turkey sausage, plain yogurt with SF jello/splenda, and water. I'm going to go to the gym in about an hour and do weights and cardio. Dinner is going to be grilled blackened salmon, with sauteed spinach and black beans.

Here's to a good weekend! :dance:

Auralei
06-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Oh no, corn syrup in the cool whip, ugh ><

Well, so much for that recipe :D

I'm sure there are similar in the dessert recipe thread, I'll take a look around. Those were nice, though, because they were so easy to make.

grneyedmustang
06-21-2008, 12:52 PM
Hey Auralei, there's a recipe for phase 1 peanut butter cookies, I'll post the link: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49623

I think I'm going to try these later today - or I might make them when I get back from the gym.

Debbie54
06-21-2008, 12:55 PM
briezee, I was in the BLC on one of the other boards but dropped out because I wasn't doing well and didn't want to hold the team up. I thought I had deleted all of it, but I missed that little part. :lol: Thanks for pointing it out, I gotta go remove it!!
How fun to enter dog shows and be in them. I love watching those and seeing all the different breeds of dogs. Your's are certainly pretty ones!!

Michelle, have fun at your Mom's b-day. You'll do great!!

Melanie, ewwww man, you got it bad huh? Hope you can stay OP for the next few days but I'm with you on staying on the phase 1 a bit longer. I was doing great and was down 4 lbs but for some reason I'm back up those same 4. That's the way it's been for me for the last few months. Seems when I get closer to my weigh in day, I freak out and eat stuff I shouldn't, like the cool whip, peanut butter and nuts combo I had the other day. Yesterday all I ate were salads with some ham and cheese, but I didn't get all my water in, so I'm just hoping I'm retaining water from the ham and not getting enough water in. I'm also changing my WI's to Monday so I'll be posting my weight on Mondays here. We can do this!!!

Today we plan on getting outside and moving dirt, rocks whatever else is in the way of things. We have 2 acres of land to get spruced up for when my brother comes out next month, and boy, is it alot of work. We're moving a walkway that's probably about 30 feet long that was lined with rocks, so that in itself is a great workout. We also have to clean flowerbeds yet again, and mow. Tonight we are barbequing some chicken and maybe some zuchinni.
The fireworks were great last night and just so nice to relax in the park and watch all the people. So many little kids and it was just great to watch their enthusiasm and wish I had that much energy again!
Hope everyone has a great day!
Debbie

briezee
06-21-2008, 10:31 PM
Today was pretty much Phase III, but I think I did pretty good managing family politics and SBD. In my family, you must take a bite of everything or you might as well not eat. My brother made some sort of creamy chicken, rice and carrot casserole with a pasta salad for the side dish. I ate the chicken, 2 bites of the rice/carrot mixture and 1 bite of the pasta salad. I was a bit hungry afterward, but I think it was because I was a bit low on fat intake today: Lunch was a red bell pepper, half an English cucumber, a ten inch long piece of rhubarb, and 7 or 8 ribs of celery (between 3 and 8 inches long). I was eating in the car, and had no dip. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't too hungry before dinner, and therefore less likely to snack. I also did have one homemade chocolate chip cookie. My brother's girlfriend made them, and had one "oops" cookie that was the size of an Oreo. The rest were 4" across. I only ate the oops cookie and didn't go back for the second, third, fourth that I normally would. The cookie was really, really good, but sweet and I nibbled on it for a quite a long time. I got the taste that I wanted and was able to not eat more of them, so that is good. The rest of my family was also snacking on chips, pretzels, carrots, and a couple types of chocolate and I left all of that alone! My solution to being hungry after dinner was to come home and eat some yogurt.

So today's food intake looks like this:

Breakfast: Mocha Ricotta Creme.
Snack: Iced Coffee, somewhere between an eighth and a quarter cup of mixed nuts (I'm thinking twice what is allowed. I'll measure more carefully the next time I eat them.)
Lunch: Red bell pepper, 1/2 English cucumber, 7-8 ribs celery (3"-7" long each), 10 inch piece of rhubarb - no dip.
Snack: Small chocolate chip cookie.
Dinner: Chicken, 2 bites creamy rice/carrot mixture, 1 bite pasta salad.
Dessert: Greek Yogurt.