General chatter - Who Thinks Up This Phone Stuff?

View Full Version : Who Thinks Up This Phone Stuff?

srmb60
06-12-2008, 08:37 PM
I just answered the phone and was greeted by a fog horn!
"Good evening! This is your captain speaking ..."

I hung up!

Sweetcaroline
06-12-2008, 08:43 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

THE Heather
06-12-2008, 08:52 PM
I've had that a couple of times....with seagulls in the background!

I was like, "Do what?? I have no captain!"

>.>

Apple Cheeks
06-12-2008, 09:02 PM
:lol:

Maybe it's a weird promo for some new "Love Boat" series?? :?:

auntie g
06-12-2008, 10:42 PM
LOL! I get that call all the time at work and it makes me soooo mad! I'm never near a phone when those dang recordings come in, so I have to run or climb down from a ladder, or something else annoying, and it's an evil rotten recording. I've always hung up on the captain too soon to find out what he wants, but I hate him anyway (or at least the lousy company he records for!)

Lovely
06-12-2008, 10:44 PM
You gals can't be serious... this really exists???

auntie g
06-12-2008, 10:46 PM
Oh it exists, all right! Ooooh, that captain! Grrrrrr....

chickybird
06-12-2008, 10:47 PM
maybe an ad for a travel agency? I LOATHE teh calls that come in from the health insurance people who want to sign us up. After the 3rd call from the same person, I get rude!

Sweetcaroline
06-12-2008, 11:05 PM
Perhaps he's had too much Captain Morgan ?

THE Heather
06-12-2008, 11:30 PM
So much that he infact believes he's "The Captain"

Good theory...couldbe.

But in all honesty, I think it's a public opinion thing. I hung up after "you will receive two free boarding passes if..."

techwife
06-13-2008, 05:46 AM
I've gotten the captain, too! While working at Master Cuts. In the middle of washing someone's hair, besides!! The captain is evil!

Robsia
06-13-2008, 07:47 AM
I always hang up the second I realise it's a recording. I won't be spoken to by a computer.

Apple Cheeks
06-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Harrumph!

Reminds me of the annoying recorded calls I've gotton ON MY CELL PHONE from some shady "carpet cleaning" company.

I was so infuriated after getting them, especially since I have to pay for someone making me a sales pitch, and my number has been on the National Do Not Call List for years!

The first time I got it, I reported it to the FCC, along with the phone # that popped up on my screen. The second time (a month later) they had gotton sneaky enough to block their number, so I couldn't see it and report it.

After digging around, I found out this is a scam business that makes calls like that all across the country! If you "press 1" to "schedule an appointment" and try to ask them why they are calling your cell phone, they will hang up on you! :mad: You can't press any other option or the recording will hang up.

So, next time I get one (and I'm sure I will) I will press 1 to speak with someone to set up an appointment. I will then send them to an abandoned house I know about! :devil:

Robsia
06-14-2008, 05:50 AM
That's really bad that - having to pay when someone calls you. We don't have that here.

Operator265
06-14-2008, 06:16 AM
We aren't supposed to either. but, if you ever give your cell # out like on a contest entry form, they claim you are part of their customer base. It should be illegal.

So should those damned auto dialers that call you every ten minutes but no one is there when you pick up. For pete's sake I work gvraves, but I have kids so I need to leave the phone on.

Lately I've been being harrasses by car warranty people. It seems likke there are 2 or 3 different co.s. All with different recorded voices and they leave messages plugging up my VM. Aaarrrggg!!!!

Sweet Sissy
06-14-2008, 01:27 PM
I've never gotten a call from "The Captain" (though now I'm intrigued), but everyone in my area has been getting these calls from Nevada telling us our warrenties are up on our cars. It must be a scam as everyone I know keeps getting the same calls.

KLK
06-14-2008, 02:17 PM
LMAO!!! Oh my God! I get that call at work EVERYDAY! You pick up and then you hear this big fog horn sound and then "Hello! This is your..."

Apple Cheeks
06-14-2008, 09:45 PM
but, if you ever give your cell # out like on a contest entry form, they claim you are part of their customer base.

True, but I've never given out my cellphone # to any business, and I don't fill out contest forms. If I did, I would never put my cellphone on it! :no:

Nah, this shady "carpet cleaning" company has an auto-dialer and just dials any old number it can. They don't care about the Do Not Call List. :mad:

Is the "captain" also doing this? I mean, is it some stupid business auto-dialing people without adhering to the Do Not Call List?

Hat Trick
06-15-2008, 12:28 AM
We tell the telemarketer that we do/have/sell whatever it is they are selling. Cemetery lots, magazines, light bulbs -- whatever. We also will just bark into the automated phone ones. Everytime they ask a question we just bark. I've had them call and asking for my husband. When I say he's not here and they say they will call back when he gets in, my reply is 'why, have you seen him? He skipped outta here months ago!'. They get really flustered. I love having fun w/these ding dongs. If you get a machine that constantly calls, answer whatever questions they ask with the most ridiculous, absurd thing you can possibly think of. If you can say it with a really thick accent, all the better.

Here's some more suggestions I found.

If they say they're John Doe from XYZ company, ask them to spell their name. Then ask them to spell the company name. Then ask them where it is located. Continue asking them personal questions or questions about their company for as long as necessary.

Say "No," over and over. Be sure to vary the sound of each one and keep a rhythmic tempo, even as they are trying to speak. This is most fun if you can do it until they hang up. (a personal favorite!)

If the company cleans carpets, respond: "Can you get out blood? Can you get out goat blood? How about human blood?"

After the telemarketer gives their spiel, ask him / her to marry you. When they get all flustered, tell them that you could not just give your credit card number to a complete stranger.

Tell the telemarketer that you work for the same company, they often can't sell to employees.

Answer the phone. As soon as you realize it is a telemarketer, set the receiver down, shout or scream, "Oh my God!" Then hang up. :rofl:

Ask them to repeat everything they say, several times.

Tell them it is dinner time, but ask if they would please hold. Put them on speaker phone while you continue to eat at your leisure. Smack your food loudly and continue with your dinner conversation.

Tell the telemarketer you are "grounded" and ask if they could bring you some beer.

Ask them to fax the information to you, and make up a number.

If they are selling magazines, ask them if they come in Braille.

Tell them to talk VERY SLOWLY, because you want to write EVERY WORD DOWN.

walking2lose
06-15-2008, 01:43 AM
Hat Trick... HILARIOUS!!!!!!!! Gotta try some of these!

Robsia
06-15-2008, 06:04 AM
Hat trick - I feel really sorry for the people who call you!! I am so glad I am not a telemarketer. They must have a horrendous time of it.

Apple Cheeks
06-15-2008, 08:32 AM
Everytime they ask a question we just bark.

:rofl:

EZMONEY
06-15-2008, 05:00 PM
Seriously HAT TRICK...you have me beat! I thought I was good at this game of unwanted phone calls....

my taking the phone into the bathroom and flushing while holding it in near the bowl after I tell them "Hang on one sec while I wipe"...just doesn't seem that good anymore...

I tip my hat to you!

ladybugnessa
06-15-2008, 07:35 PM
chem lawn called me once.

i told them... I don't have a lawn, I dug it up buried the body and made a rock garden.

ANOther
06-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Hat Trick: :lol3:

If my mom gets such a call she just goes "I don't do business over the phone, mail me the info" and if I happen to intercept it I just say "sorry, I'm not interested", but your ideas are great

ddc
06-15-2008, 10:03 PM
You guys have me crying I'm laughing so hard.
I wish I was a quick thinker and could remember some of those comebacks.
I usually just say "she's not here". Sometimes it's someone legitimate and I have to explain that I really am here :)

I haven't heard the captain yet. Maybe he's looking for Tenille :)

Hat Trick
06-16-2008, 06:36 PM
Seriously HAT TRICK...you have me beat! I thought I was good at this game of unwanted phone calls....

I don't get out much so I get my fun where I can! ;) :lol: ;)

Operator265
06-16-2008, 07:29 PM
I'm going to have to copy these and keep them by the phone. We had one friend who got a call from a photography salesman. He kept saying he wasn't interested, then finally said, "But, young man, I'm blind. I lost my sight 5 yrs ago in an accident at work." CLICK.