Old 06-12-2008, 09:54 AM   #1  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

Default Miracle Whip Light- how many calories on the LABEL? Online I get diff. reports...

Anyone have a jar of Miracle Whip light near them?? The ACTUAL jar with the label?

I ask b/c I made a tuna salad for dinner tonight and I'm trying to calculate the calories b/c there is a LOT of miracle whip light in my salad...

Usually I wouldn't care if it was on a sandwhich--- 17 calories won't kill me either way for one Tbsp... but when we're talking about maybe a whole CUP worth... that's a big deal...

So... Fitday gives me something like 37 calories for a TBSP.
Other reports online (including the Kraft industrial site- not from regular packs but from the HUGE packages) gives me 20 calories... The amazon grocery site says that it's 37 calories (and they're saying it's off the label from the kraft product) Hmph...

So which is it, ladies? I bought the "wide mouth" jar if it matters... I just forgot to look at the calories when I was making it last night. Did Kraft revamp their recipe to make lower calories? Is that the excuse for the disparity in amounts on these online sites?

I'd love to eat MORE tuna salad tonight if it really is 20 calories... but I'll eat less if it's 37... those extra 17 calories times 16 (16 tbsp per cup) is a LOT of difference for me!

Last edited by BrandNewJen; 06-12-2008 at 10:05 AM.
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:00 AM   #2  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I would trust the KRAFT site myself. The different "Light" products have different things on the labels. I'd select the exact one you bought, and use that info.

Last edited by modkittn; 06-12-2008 at 10:02 AM.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:32 AM   #3  
started 1/28/08

Hi Jen --

I'm a long-time miracle whip user myself, and I think I can clear up the mystery. Kraft changed the recipe for miracle whip relatively recently -- in the past, the full-fat version had something like 70 cal per Tbsp, and the light version had something like 35. The current full-fat version has 40 cal per Tbsp, and the light version has 20.

For anyone who is interested, the links below have more info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_Whip

http://www.elementarychef.com/mourni...-miracle-whip/
Merksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:56 AM   #4  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

Yay!!! you're my hero!!! Oh man, now I'm REALLY looking forward to my tuna salad tonight!!! YUMMMMMMM

20 calories a tbsp--- YES!
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:53 AM   #5  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

Height: 5'6

lol @ the enthusiasm
CHUNKEY_MUNKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I would go by the stats on the jar that you used.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote