Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2002, 10:19 AM   #1  

Default Doctor's Note

I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has gotten a doctors note to change their goal weight? Here's my story:

I have been a member w/ WW since 8/98 and have lost 165.4 lbs. and feel terrific. WW goal is 140 and they said I could go up to 145. The thing is - when someone is really big and loses alot of weight, there is the problem of excess skin. I'm 37 yrs old and don't have any kids. I know a tummy tuck is an option but I do not want to get one until I know I'm not going to have a baby. I probably have at least 10 lbs. of excess skin from my abdomen, arms and legs. So, I guess I could get the doctors note so I can at least be at goal and not have to pay anymore. That would be great. But my leader said that I could only work for WW if I was within their goal weight (she was going to check on that but was almost positive that's the case) . I did want to either be a leader or a weigher but if I can't there's nothing I can do. If I change my goal weight with the doctors note I feel like I got to goal by
default. If anyone out there has experienced this, please respond or anyone else that has thoughts about it.

Fit4Life
325.6/160.2/145????
Old 03-15-2002, 11:53 AM   #2  
Life Time 2001

I think it vary's in the regions.
I know in mine you cant be a leader, but you can be a receptionist. I would wait to see what your leader comes up with. It just might work out for you.

But in the mean time I would talk to your Dr and see what they recommend is a good goal weight for you. Then you can decide from there what you want to do.

Congrats on your loss. You have done awesome!
Old 03-15-2002, 12:54 PM   #3  

I am also wondering about that loose skin issue. I lost 120 lbs. and had a little of the same problem. Does it ever tighten up?? Are there certain exercises to do that would help? I mainly walk on a treadmill or do walk aeorbics, so maybe I need to add weights to my routine? If I could get rid of the loose skin I'd probably be down another size or two!
Old 03-16-2002, 09:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 198/135/152

Height: 5'4"

Dear Fit4Life: FIRST: Monumental congratulations on your successful weight loss.

SECOND: Your doctor's note and his/her weight for you prevails. If your physician says that the weight you're currently holding is good for you, then that is the weight that WW has to abide by. So long as you have a note, it doesn't matter if you're within the "goal ranges" on our charts or not. It is his/her word that matters.

So, that having been said, you get that note, and get yourself a fabulous job w/ us... it'll be one of the best things you do for yourself. (Also, that 10 lbs of skin? It doesn't weigh near as much as you think so the surgery isn't going to get you closer to a WW goal. YOU are already THERE! ! Good luck, and good wishes from all of us.

Much love, E.
Old 03-17-2002, 12:02 PM   #5  

Thanks for the support. I have a Dr's appointment in June so I guess I'll speak with her and see what she thinks. I would be great to be at goal. I hope WW does let me work for them, I think people going in that need to lose alot of weight need to see someone that has done it. Thanks again.

Fit4Life
Old 03-20-2002, 09:34 PM   #6  
Soon to be Lifetimer

Hi,
I had to get a doctor's note as I was at the same weight for 6 months. My leader and DR. thought it was becasue of the BC pill I was on. My goal weight was determined by the last 12 years in my patient chart. He looked at that and saw what I stayed at through the years before my daughter -- 154, so that is what he put in my note.
The WW goal said I should be 135, which I haven't been since high school! I had been through the big D and was going to Jazzercise 7 times a week and STILL didn't weigh 135.
Hope this helps!
Old 03-20-2002, 10:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 198/135/152

Height: 5'4"

Jilly's Mom:

Here is something doctor's always neglect to tell patients -- that we can never be the weight we were in high school. Here's why: Bone formation in women doesn't end until we are in our early 30s. The reason for that is, it's our body's way of protecting us as best it can from potential osteoporosis problems later on in life. So, bone continues to grow (not lengthen, to make us taller, but becomes more dense, heavy) and as a result, we end up weighing more because bone is heavy.

Once we get into our 30's, the Catch 22 is, our metabolisms then slow down -- so there we are with heavier bones (biology) and a slower metabolism (ditto) and thus, it's harder to lose weight. However, the fundamental reason for not weighing now what we weighed in 12th grade is, we are denser!

Your doctor did the right thing. He just didn't explain why.
Old 03-23-2002, 08:27 AM   #8  

Default MD's Note

Wow! What a fantastic job you've done! What an inspiration you would be to everyone in the meeting. Last year I lost 85# but had a leader who had lost a whopping 20 or 25 pounds and I always felt she had absolutely no idea what it was like to lose 50 plus pounds, that she could never relate. I had absolutely no respect for her she was such an awful leader. Unfortunately, she was a leader and/or receptionist for most the meetings where I went and I just couldn't escape her! I ended up quitting and regret it. You go for it!!
-debbie
Closed Thread