Whole Foods Lifestyle - Susan B!

View Full Version : Susan B!

06-11-2008, 09:54 AM
I just wanted to thank you for suggesting I read Glory's story! I am keeping portions sizes in mind by counting points, (WW Flex) but by the time I get 10 Super Foods in, it's the end of the day and I feel fantastic!!! When I first wrote in a couple days ago, I was simply looking for a WW support area. I have learned so much and have gotten so many excellent tips from people doing so many different things. This site is a smorgasbord of info! Learn a little from here, a little from over here! But, the bottom line of it all is that I would not have found out about SF if you hadn't reached out to me. So, I just wanted to thank you! I can't send private messages yet since I am so new, and I couldn't wait!

I am keeping a food journal in MS Excel (it already has a daily food journal all set up and ready to edit!) and I made a list of the 14 groups on the side, and as I eat one of the food groups I highlight it in red. In order to learn the Super FOODS list, I put the list in alphabetical order and memorized what the first letter stands for. BBBOPSSSTTTWWY. I had my son quiz me - he even knows what they are now. (o

I threw away a lot of junk in the last 3 days, and yesterday filled my home with the healthy foods I need to be successful.:carrot:

I changed the excel spread sheet so instead of tallying calories for me, it tallies my points, and I have been planning my meals ahead of time. This is like a PT job for me, and I am really aware that THIS is the key. PLAN IT AND PACK IT! is my new motto.

Yesterday morning's breakfast was awesome! On Sunday, I cooked up a bunch of brown rice so we could make some cold rice salads, but yesterday morning I sauteed some carrots, zucchini, yellow squash and onions. Added 1/2 c. cooked brown rice....cracked an egg in it and voila`! Yummy healthy breakfast scramble!

The other thing I love, love, love for lunch is:

1/2 cup cooked brown rice
3 T plain yogurt
Salsa (as much as you like)

This is an awesome cold rice salad. I may be weird, but to me it is so delicious!

The last 3 days I have had at least 10 Super Foods, and yesterday go to 11. (o:

srmb60
06-11-2008, 10:21 AM
:hug: Thank Glory, she's the one who taught me.

I'm so happy to see that you are happy.

It is a part time job!

I don't know why folks are suprised by that. Any wife/mother knows that feeding the hoards and taking care of their health is a part (at least) time job.

You go 362638! And we'll happily watch you shriink!

Kofarq
06-11-2008, 12:42 PM
I'm halfway through reading Glory's post. I was reading it yesterday, when my DD wanted the computer for homework, and I micromanaged her while she logged me off so I wouldn't lose the post. Just catching up on new posts and will continue. I do WW flex, which I need to help me count up calories, but I think I will do Whole Foods, too. I have been, to a certain extent, in that I try to avoid processed, and make my own things, but I know I can go the extra step. I'm going to haunt around this thread to get more info, and find out what books to read. Thank you, Glory!!

06-11-2008, 11:35 PM
Yes, thank you Glory!!!! Your posts are awesome!

But, to my original point, SusanB, you reached out to me. I don't even know if I would have found her story yet. The whole foods approach was not what I was originally looking for. Actually, last year I followed a whole foods plan, but sugar was forbidden. I lasted for a month, my body felt great, but I was not able to maintain a no sugar diet. I was completely obsessed with the idea that I would NEVER be able to have a slice, or even a bite, of cake. If I had ANY sugar, I would have to start back at day 1. So, here I am, ready to continue on to day 5 with the knowledge that I ate 12 Super Foods today and ended up at 26 points. Yipppppeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

We have a weekly meeting where I work and lunch is provided. Awesome food, but I chose to bring my homemade veggie with brown rice soup. Lets just say I felt like a champ!!!!

srmb60
06-12-2008, 05:34 AM
:hug:Oh well than, I'll take the praise ;)

I like to see new people grab hold and take off. I'm very very happy to have helped you. 3FC is fabulous yes?

06-12-2008, 05:26 PM
More fabulous than I could have ever expected. I'm just figuring out where to hang my hat, and I know that this group is where I want to be. SusanB, any more suggestions for me? I have ordered the 2 Super Foods books, and am ready to read them cover to cover. I am ready to learn. Knowing that yes, taking care of myself is a priority, and learning to make myself a priority in my own life has not been an easy thing. Taking time to pack my lunch is something I have justified away in the past. I, of course, am very busy, and rushing out the door has been a way of life for me. But, can I change? Yes! Have I changed? Yes. Is there a lot more work to do? Yes! But I FINALLY have a place to express all of this.

Oh, and guess what? I weighed myself today. I know the first week or two is a faster lose rate, but whatever!!!!!! I lost 3 pounds!!!! (o:

Glory87
06-13-2008, 01:13 AM
Hey, sorry I missed this thread from the beginning :) Great start 36!

Deciding to make a lunch everyday is a great decision - don't try to do it in the morning when (if you're like me) you're rushing to get to work on time. Make your lunch the night before, or better yet, make 5 lunches on Sunday, all bagged up and ready to go!

srmb60
06-13-2008, 05:38 AM
Hi Glory!

Yes, I often make most of my lunch while I'm putting supper away the night before.

walking2lose
06-13-2008, 08:20 AM
Hi Susan! I saw your name and wanted to say hello because I've MISSED you on Featherweights :( Are you hanging out anywhere in particular? Maybe the Superfoods thread? Seems we are both getting ourselves together and back on track... I enjoyed the times we were holding each other accountable.

Anyway, Happy Friday, and it's good to "see" you :D

06-13-2008, 10:44 AM
Packing lunches ahead of time - Great idea! I actually have been running around in the morning packing my lunch. :dizzy: You'd think as a mom with 3 kids that packing lunch the night before would be a way of life for us. Nope. Not yet anyway!

I weighed myself yesterday morning, but today is my official weigh in day, and so I weighed myself this morning... It showed a 3 pound loss instead of 4. It is odd that yesterday morning I weighed less than this morning, but the good news is that I don't really care. I think this cured me from trying to weigh myself more than 1 time per week.

I got all the books I ordered yesterday....you should have seen me last night on my bed with 4 books. I wanted to check them all out! The 2 Super Foods books, and 2 book by Eckhart Tolle. Lots of great stuff!

Glory87
06-13-2008, 03:56 PM
It's really better to look at weight loss over time - your weight can vary so much even during a single day!

trying2Bbuff
06-14-2008, 12:28 AM
Hey 362, would you be willing to email me your spreadsheet? I have been toying with something similar for a while but am not able to make it work like I want it too. Here's my email: taralschmitz dot com
Replace the word "dot" with the character.
Thanks so much!

06-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Glory - good advice. I am thinking that this weight loss thing can be a real head trip if my only measure of success is the scale.

Like yesterday, I did a 1 hour soccer training workout in the morning, and packed my lunch. I made an orange bell pepper stuffed with salmon and mandarin orange slices for lunch - incredible, by the way - some blueberries, and 1/8 cup of dry roasted edamame. Yum! But last night, I had 2 pieces of pesto pizza. I hadn't planned on being out so late, everyone in my family was hungry, and so there you go. I only ended up with 7 SF yesterday, but remained within my points range. Not a great food day, but I was thrown a curve ball and managed. Yes, I could have had a salad, that would have been a better choice, but the pizza smelled so good! 4 pieces of pizza is what I normally would have eaten, so I made a change in my unhealthy portion size habits yesterday which is HUGE! So, for me, a successful day!

T2BB - I sent you a PM. (o:

gailr42
06-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Glory and Susan both mentioned packing lunches ahead...I just wanted to mention that if you go to work later like I do, you can partially prepare supper while you are doing breadfast and lunch.