Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:54 AM   #1  
I am a thin person!

S/C/G: 215/tracker/135

Height: 5'6"

Smile Susan B!

I just wanted to thank you for suggesting I read Glory's story! I am keeping portions sizes in mind by counting points, (WW Flex) but by the time I get 10 Super Foods in, it's the end of the day and I feel fantastic!!! When I first wrote in a couple days ago, I was simply looking for a WW support area. I have learned so much and have gotten so many excellent tips from people doing so many different things. This site is a smorgasbord of info! Learn a little from here, a little from over here! But, the bottom line of it all is that I would not have found out about SF if you hadn't reached out to me. So, I just wanted to thank you! I can't send private messages yet since I am so new, and I couldn't wait!

I am keeping a food journal in MS Excel (it already has a daily food journal all set up and ready to edit!) and I made a list of the 14 groups on the side, and as I eat one of the food groups I highlight it in red. In order to learn the Super FOODS list, I put the list in alphabetical order and memorized what the first letter stands for. BBBOPSSSTTTWWY. I had my son quiz me - he even knows what they are now. (o

I threw away a lot of junk in the last 3 days, and yesterday filled my home with the healthy foods I need to be successful.

I changed the excel spread sheet so instead of tallying calories for me, it tallies my points, and I have been planning my meals ahead of time. This is like a PT job for me, and I am really aware that THIS is the key. PLAN IT AND PACK IT! is my new motto.

Yesterday morning's breakfast was awesome! On Sunday, I cooked up a bunch of brown rice so we could make some cold rice salads, but yesterday morning I sauteed some carrots, zucchini, yellow squash and onions. Added 1/2 c. cooked brown rice....cracked an egg in it and voila`! Yummy healthy breakfast scramble!

The other thing I love, love, love for lunch is:

1/2 cup cooked brown rice
3 T plain yogurt
Salsa (as much as you like)

This is an awesome cold rice salad. I may be weird, but to me it is so delicious!

The last 3 days I have had at least 10 Super Foods, and yesterday go to 11. (o:
362638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:21 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Thank Glory, she's the one who taught me.

I'm so happy to see that you are happy.

It is a part time job!

I don't know why folks are suprised by that. Any wife/mother knows that feeding the hoards and taking care of their health is a part (at least) time job.

You go 362638! And we'll happily watch you shriink!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/161/144

Height: 5'9"

I'm halfway through reading Glory's post. I was reading it yesterday, when my DD wanted the computer for homework, and I micromanaged her while she logged me off so I wouldn't lose the post. Just catching up on new posts and will continue. I do WW flex, which I need to help me count up calories, but I think I will do Whole Foods, too. I have been, to a certain extent, in that I try to avoid processed, and make my own things, but I know I can go the extra step. I'm going to haunt around this thread to get more info, and find out what books to read. Thank you, Glory!!
Kofarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:35 PM   #4  
I am a thin person!

Yes, thank you Glory!!!! Your posts are awesome!

But, to my original point, SusanB, you reached out to me. I don't even know if I would have found her story yet. The whole foods approach was not what I was originally looking for. Actually, last year I followed a whole foods plan, but sugar was forbidden. I lasted for a month, my body felt great, but I was not able to maintain a no sugar diet. I was completely obsessed with the idea that I would NEVER be able to have a slice, or even a bite, of cake. If I had ANY sugar, I would have to start back at day 1. So, here I am, ready to continue on to day 5 with the knowledge that I ate 12 Super Foods today and ended up at 26 points. Yipppppeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

We have a weekly meeting where I work and lunch is provided. Awesome food, but I chose to bring my homemade veggie with brown rice soup. Lets just say I felt like a champ!!!!
Old 06-12-2008, 05:34 AM   #5  

Oh well than, I'll take the praise

I like to see new people grab hold and take off. I'm very very happy to have helped you. 3FC is fabulous yes?
Old 06-12-2008, 05:26 PM   #6  
I am a thin person!

More fabulous than I could have ever expected. I'm just figuring out where to hang my hat, and I know that this group is where I want to be. SusanB, any more suggestions for me? I have ordered the 2 Super Foods books, and am ready to read them cover to cover. I am ready to learn. Knowing that yes, taking care of myself is a priority, and learning to make myself a priority in my own life has not been an easy thing. Taking time to pack my lunch is something I have justified away in the past. I, of course, am very busy, and rushing out the door has been a way of life for me. But, can I change? Yes! Have I changed? Yes. Is there a lot more work to do? Yes! But I FINALLY have a place to express all of this.

Oh, and guess what? I weighed myself today. I know the first week or two is a faster lose rate, but whatever!!!!!! I lost 3 pounds!!!! (o:

Last edited by 362638; 06-13-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:13 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Hey, sorry I missed this thread from the beginning Great start 36!

Deciding to make a lunch everyday is a great decision - don't try to do it in the morning when (if you're like me) you're rushing to get to work on time. Make your lunch the night before, or better yet, make 5 lunches on Sunday, all bagged up and ready to go!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:38 AM   #8  

Hi Glory!

Yes, I often make most of my lunch while I'm putting supper away the night before.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:20 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Hi Susan! I saw your name and wanted to say hello because I've MISSED you on Featherweights Are you hanging out anywhere in particular? Maybe the Superfoods thread? Seems we are both getting ourselves together and back on track... I enjoyed the times we were holding each other accountable.

Anyway, Happy Friday, and it's good to "see" you
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:44 AM   #10  
I am a thin person!

Default preparing

Packing lunches ahead of time - Great idea! I actually have been running around in the morning packing my lunch. You'd think as a mom with 3 kids that packing lunch the night before would be a way of life for us. Nope. Not yet anyway!

I weighed myself yesterday morning, but today is my official weigh in day, and so I weighed myself this morning... It showed a 3 pound loss instead of 4. It is odd that yesterday morning I weighed less than this morning, but the good news is that I don't really care. I think this cured me from trying to weigh myself more than 1 time per week.

I got all the books I ordered yesterday....you should have seen me last night on my bed with 4 books. I wanted to check them all out! The 2 Super Foods books, and 2 book by Eckhart Tolle. Lots of great stuff!
Old 06-13-2008, 03:56 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

It's really better to look at weight loss over time - your weight can vary so much even during a single day!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:28 AM   #12  
From squishy to buff.....

S/C/G: 325/145/165

Height: 5'9"

Hey 362, would you be willing to email me your spreadsheet? I have been toying with something similar for a while but am not able to make it work like I want it too. Here's my email: taralschmitz dot com
Replace the word "dot" with the character.
Thanks so much!
trying2Bbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:11 AM   #13  
I am a thin person!

Glory - good advice. I am thinking that this weight loss thing can be a real head trip if my only measure of success is the scale.

Like yesterday, I did a 1 hour soccer training workout in the morning, and packed my lunch. I made an orange bell pepper stuffed with salmon and mandarin orange slices for lunch - incredible, by the way - some blueberries, and 1/8 cup of dry roasted edamame. Yum! But last night, I had 2 pieces of pesto pizza. I hadn't planned on being out so late, everyone in my family was hungry, and so there you go. I only ended up with 7 SF yesterday, but remained within my points range. Not a great food day, but I was thrown a curve ball and managed. Yes, I could have had a salad, that would have been a better choice, but the pizza smelled so good! 4 pieces of pizza is what I normally would have eaten, so I made a change in my unhealthy portion size habits yesterday which is HUGE! So, for me, a successful day!

T2BB - I sent you a PM. (o:
Old 06-16-2008, 03:03 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Glory and Susan both mentioned packing lunches ahead...I just wanted to mention that if you go to work later like I do, you can partially prepare supper while you are doing breadfast and lunch.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote