100 lb. Club - 100lb Club Chat: June 9-15

View Full Version : 100lb Club Chat: June 9-15

GirlyGirlSebas
06-09-2008, 10:38 AM
What's going on in your corner of the world? Please come chat with us.

GirlyGirlSebas
06-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Happy Monday!

We had another quiet weekend around here without the DD's. I miss them. Will somebody remind me of this when they're back here and fighting 24/7?:dizzy:

Hubby and I went to see Ironman on Friday. The movie was really good! Anybody interested in seeing The Hulk when it comes out? I'm probably telling my age here, but I loved the TV show. I had a huge crush on Bill Bixby aka David Banner. I'm really interested to see Edward Norton in that role.

I everyone keeping cool? I can't believe how hot it is already! I'm dreading the higher electric bills.

smyrah
06-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Good morning chicks . how everybody doing. it's monday what are your short term goal!!!!!!!!!

fiberlover
06-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Hey gang!

Rhonda - I loved the Hulk tv show. My sister had the biggest crush on Lou Ferigno :D
I don't want to see this one - viewed a long trailer on line, and the dialogue was horrible! I was going to see it because I really like Ed Norton, but can't quite do it.

I am waiting impatiently for Batman!! Love Christian Bale.

fireballgirl
06-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Can I join this chat? I'm new here, so if someone could let me know how this works, that would be great.

I am starting again, today. I'm not sure exactly what to start, because I have a number of obstacles which include breastfeeding a six-month-old (I've gained 15 pounds since I started bfing--did the same thing with the first one), hurting my knee or back every time I start an exercise program, and working full time with two kids, and a husband who travels a lot so I don't have much time.

Things on my side: my mother-in-law takes care of the kids, so that's much easier than taking them to a babysitter, great insurance, enough cash to pay a little extra for convenient, healthy food, and a few days of vacation coming up when my parents are coming to visit.

Here are my goals for this week:

1. Cut out the junk food while maintaining my calories at a high-enough level to support my breastfeeding. (This is actually pretty difficult. Has anyone ever tried to eat 2500 of non-junk?)
2. Do my core exercises every day, and cardio 3x this week. (I got my doctor to send me to a physical therapist because every time I've started an exercise program in the last 3 years, I've injured something. This way, I'm starting out slow, with support, and I will have a strong core, which is shot after having my last baby.)
3. Develop some menus that I can follow, knowing that I'm getting enough calories of healthy food. I'm planning to do the SuperFoods Diet.
4. Journal my food.

Any advice??

valpal23
06-09-2008, 01:19 PM
The power went off when I woke up this morning. I recently got possession of the house I bought.. and am a new hydroelectric customer so I started to get paranoid about them turning our power off.

But it turned out to be a town wide thing. darn it the power came back on 2 hours later and I'm stuck at work all day!

I'm kind of disapointed too... I recently passed the 100 lbs lost point. And I feel the same. I dislike the same things about my body... and I cant see a difference (there was one day last month I saw it... but sadly it was a one time thing.. havent seen the difference since) Just had to complain a little bit. I wish I 'felt it'.. ya know?

Schmoodle
06-09-2008, 01:26 PM
Happy Monday chicks! This weekly chat is a new thing isn't it Rhonda? I usually check in on the accountability thread, but I'm always happy to chat!
valpal, 100 lbs is awesome, you are doing so well. Unfortunately it sometimes takes the head a while to catch up. I guarantee you there is a difference with 100 lbs. lost, even if you can't really see it yet. Hang in there, you will "feel it" someday soon.
fireball, no rules, just jump in! And welcome. I'm no expert, but I think if you are nursing it's important to get plenty of protein and to not be afraid of reasonable amounts of healthy unsaturated fats in your diet. These are the higher calorie healthy foods that will help keep you going.

TJFitnessDiva
06-09-2008, 01:29 PM
Good afternoon everyone!

We really need to find time to go to the movies...I have yet to see Sex in the City but on my list is Ironman, Indiana Jones, Batman, The Hulk, Baby's Mama...and I never go to the movies lol

My short term goal for this week is to actually remember to take measurements lol I think about it when I'm busy and then totally forget when I have the time ;)

PhotoChick
06-09-2008, 01:33 PM
I'm here .. I'm here. :D Let's see:

Ironman - saw it, loved it, woudl see it again.
Hulk - I adore Edward Norton and I really want this to be good. The Ang Lee one was horrible and I was so disappointed. (And yeah, Bill Bixby ... mmmm!)
Batman - can't wait. I love Christian Bale and I am curious to see Heath Ledger as the Joker (so sad, though)

The Plan:
Was diagnosed with walking pneumonia a week ago and am taking more drugs than you can shake a stick at. The prednisone esp has messed up my appetite and my taste buds. Not to mention my sleeping habits! (I'm sure folks on 3FC are really sick of my griping about the pred, but it's really bugging me!)

However, today I am back in the office and back on plan. I am craving my regular routine and regular food. I havent' made yogurt in 2 weeks! Argh.

Exercise:
Haven't done any since last week. Can't catch my breath enough. I did, however, shoot an 8 hour wedding on Saturday and did pretty well. So tonight I'm going to the gym and going to just take it easy getting back into the swing of things. I can't decide if I want to just get on the elliptical or if I want to try lifting. My legs and hips are bothering me though (in the sense of feeling stiff and unworked) so I might just do lunges and squats and stepups at a low weight and see how far I get.

That's my update! :D

valpal23
06-09-2008, 01:41 PM
ooooo prednisone... so messed with my appetite and sleep too! I became the crazy famished eating with no regrets in the middle of the night woman. Get better soon photochick.

thanks for the encouragement smoodle... some day :)

ahill1979
06-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Hey everyone.

Valpal---I completely understand your disappointment. I am in the same situation that you are right now. You would think after losing 100 lbs you would be able to see a big difference in yourself. I can't see a difference in myself at all. But-I can see a huge difference in my dh who has lost 80 lbs. He says that he can see a difference in me but not in himself. My point is that other people can see the difference in us before we can. Don't get down and out. Keep on keeping on. Losing 100 lbs is amazing and you are doing fantastic. Hopefully one day soon our minds will catch on to the fact that we have lost so much. Just keep going and by the time you can see it you will be even smaller. You rock!

Photochick---I hope that you get off of that pred and feel better soon. I would love more info about you making yogurt. I would like to make my own but I am not sure where to start.

I hope that everyone else is having a great day.

I have weigh in tomorrow morning and I am worried about it. So far I haven't had a gain at weigh in but I think I will tomorrow. I have not been eating as well as I should have this week. I think that I may be sabotaging myself without knowing/meaning to. I am so close to being in the 100's and I think I am freaking out about it a little. Sounds crazy I know. I hope I can figure this all out.

Mommie27
06-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Hi Everyone! Well, I'm glad last week is over! I attended 3 high school graduations, 1 8th grade graduation, 1 6th grade graduation, 2 post graduation "get togethers", and 2 graduation parties...if I NEVER hear "Pomp and Circumstance" again it'll be too soon lol

I have been a HS cheer coach for the past 3 years (and coached Pop Warener for 4 years before that) and have decided to take a year off to enjoy my daughter's senior year. She is on the varsity squad and I coached JV last year, it was hard to coach my team and still be able to REALLY enjoy watching her do her thing. I am still Cheer Director for a Pop Warner League so that should quell any withdrawl!

I loved the Hulk TV show too...Lou Ferigo IS the Hulk and I hate it that someone else is trying to be him lol...and Bill Bixby was awesome...I cried when he died...and when the hulk died in the show's finale :o There are certain movies I want to see in the theater (Batman, Indiana Jones, Strangers...) others I will wait to see til they come out on video...the movie theater is one place I still get tempted REALLY badly...:m:

My short term goal is to weigh 220 by July 7. I am visiting family and want to look and feel better than I did back in April when I started. So far so good, I have 9 lbs to go...Actually I had 9 lbs to go at my last weigh-in...I only weigh/measure in once a month so we'll see....

GirlyGirlSebas
06-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Happy Monday chicks! This weekly chat is a new thing isn't it Rhonda?

Hey, Schmoodle! Yes, this chat is new. We're still doing the Accountability/Planning/Menus thread for..well, keeping accountable, sharing our plans for losing and posting our menus.:D However, we thought it would be nice to have another thread where we could feel free to just chat about everyday stuff, ya know? Afterall, losing weight is only one part of our daily lives.

valpal23
06-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Hey, Schmoodle! Yes, this chat is new. We're still doing the Accountability/Planning/Menus thread for..well, keeping accountable, sharing our plans for losing and posting our menus.:D However, we thought it would be nice to have another thread where we could feel free to just chat about everyday stuff, ya know? Afterall, losing weight is only one part of our daily lives.

I think it's a good idea :)

Bunnababy
06-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Good morning~still morning in Oregon. Got up went to meet my friends for our Mon. Wed. Fri. walk in the park. We just walk and visit as we go.

Hope everyone has a great Monday.

As for movies I am looking forward to Batman (will be sad seeing Heath) and Ironman. Guess I will wait for Indiana and the others to come out on video. When my mil moved in with us we bought a plasma with home theatre so she could hear and see the tv and now I have to listen to food network all day long, try that and stick with plan! ;)

:cheer::cheer::cheer: Mommie27: My oldest dgd has won several award for cheerleading and I have a deep appreciation for all the hard work the coaches put in. I don't think people who are not involved in cheerleading at all appreciate it for the sport it is.

Slashnl
06-09-2008, 03:53 PM
I loved Ironman. I took my son and 4 friends to it on his 12th birthday. I thought it was great.

Val, I'm wondering if you kept some clothes from when you weighed 100 pounds more than you do now. Maybe if you tried them on and saw just how much smaller you are, would that help? Maybe get out some old pictures and compare with some more recent photos.

What I really think is that we all think that if we could lose the weight, life would be perfect and we would be blissfully happy. (at least that's what I think!!) But, life isn't that way and I'm sure it is disappointing to not feel like a goddess when you reach such a huge weight loss number. I mean, look at celebrities who are gorgeous and have lots of money. That would seem like a pretty good way to be happy: to be rich and beautiful. But with all of their issues, they seem to face the same demons as many others do.

Rhonda: By the way, love the idea of a chat. Maybe it is because I haven't been very accountable lately... but it keeps us all involved with each other's lives!

xGurlyGrlx
06-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Hey everyone! I usually am not in the weekly chat threads...but figure I might enjoy it!

Val - I'm sorry you are feeling that way. I see a HUGE difference just between the two pics in your profile. You really do look great! I know what you mean though...because I feel like I look exactly the same as I did when I started.

It is very hot here today also. I am interviewing for a new job and had one today. It went fairly well. It has been difficult to find a position I want. I have another interview on Wednesday and I think I really want this one. I guess I will find out on Wed. As far as my eating plan...things are going well. I have been able to stay on plan since my return from vacation. I will be going on vacation again over the 4th of July weekend for a wedding. I have been dress shopping with my friend a few times this past week. We are going again today. I thought I had found the most perfect, fantastic dress in the world....but some how it just didn't feel or look right at home the next day. I don't know what happened but I was so disappointed. I was really excited about my dress and then all of sudden....I was dreading it. :?: Maybe because I showed my mom and she had her look. The look that says I will tell you it looks nice but I don't really like it. Then I over analyzed the dress and I am taking it back. Hopefully I will find the perfect dress soon.

fiberlover
06-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Val - I understand. Sometimes I feel really fat - and I look at my legs and think they look as big as they did 96 pounds ago. I know they don't - but the mind plays tricks.
DH comments about how tiny I look now, and I don't see it in the pictures the way he does. I think most people are like that - normal weights or not :)

Beverlyjoy
06-09-2008, 05:26 PM
Hi chickies!

I like the idea of a daily chat! I'll join in as often as I can.

Yes, I really want to see SEx in the City...I loved it on HBO. In fact, I cancelled HBO when it went off.

Rhonda & Lori -I must be older than alot of you all....cause, I don't hardly remember watching the Incredible Hulk. (when was that on Tv?)

Mommie - what fun to be a cheer coach!

Valpal - I agree with Schmoodle - it does take your head time to catch up with the physical loss sometimes. And, you've lost your weight quickly, so it's a bit more pronounced, I think. Keep doing your before and after pics and meansurements.

Fireball - great goals!

Photochick - feel better! Ugh - prednizone and pnemonia. Maybe do some gentle stretches for movement - they shouldn't make you winded. Concentrate on getting all the way better.

ahill - I totally understand about how it messes with your mind to be close to the 100's. Keep going at it...you'll figure it out.

xgirlygrlx - Good luck with the interviewing. I hope it works out the way you want.

Hi Schmoodle, smyrah and funnababy!

Well, this week starts a very full summer of work for me. I am feeling so good/blessed, because I did no marketing for this summer and I am working almost every week day. I am a storytelling and puppeteer. I have a teen helper for the summer. Some of you know that I have some chronic physical problems. But, I will not let it stop me. As long as I can keep any physical pain in check - I can do it. I love it. I have most booked venues with smaller groups of children - so, I"ll be sitting. For the bigger groups, I have a lightweight pretty bar chair that allows me to sit and still be a the same height as if I am standing...so, that all the folks in big groups can see. So, if you don't mind...please send good vibes/prayers to my pieces and parts that they hold up well and that I am willing to do the best things for myself. And NOT do too much.

Have a great day.

fiberlover
06-09-2008, 05:27 PM
Beverly - the Hulk was on in the late 70s. It ran for 4 or 5 years.

crazycurls
06-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Mommie, I use to be a high school cheerleader and I miss it like crazy. It was so easy to stay in shape then with all the running and jumping. My arms were so strong cause I was a base in all stunts. I feel like a weakling now cause I can't lift anything.

We finally got some flowers planted in our garden. It was just a weed garden so it took lots of work just to remove the weeds. We went to the beach this weekend but it was too hot outside. The sand was so hot that it left blisters on three of my toes!!! OUCH!

Sandi
06-10-2008, 09:10 AM
Morning!!

Just a fly by this morning. I have some class prep I have to do.

Just a few more days until vacation!!! Yippeee!! I feel like I have sooooo much to do before Saturday!!

Have an awesome day everyone!!!

thistoo
06-10-2008, 09:32 AM
now I have to listen to food network all day long, try that and stick with plan! ;)

Ugh, that network is a dieting nightmare. I don't get it in my house anymore, but sometimes I watch it at my sister's and then I remember why I don't get it in my house anymore. ;) Though even Top Chef makes me ravenous. About the only cooking show I can watch without wanting to binge is the original Iron Chef, and that's mostly because I don't recognize half the ingredients.

Anyway, I'm late to the party, but my job is so boring that I am jumping back in here in the hopes of keeping myself awake today! I'm exhausted and PMS-y and feeling a little down on my weight loss plan, so I'm just trying to distract myself.

The only movie I've seen recently is The Strangers, which was pretty scary. I'd like to see Batman and Indiana Jones, but I might have to wait for the DVDs. My nephew wants to go see Prince Caspian now that he's in town for the summer, so we have a date for that one Friday night. Guess I'd better enjoy my time with him before he decides he's too old to hang out with his aunt!

PhotoChick
06-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Hey Ladies!

I feel so much better today. I'm also down to 164 again ... wheeee! I think it's a combination of being off the prednisone finally and the nearly gallon of water I drank (and pee'd out! :) ) yesterday. I feel nearly human again.

I'm horrible about shoutouts to individuals - but I did want to say "good luck" to Kara! Job hunting is the worst - it's one of the reasons I'm very very very glad I work for myself.

I have a free weekend coming up - my only one until August. I plan to enjoy it thoroughly. The house needs cleaning and I have piles of laundry to do but I think I'm going to go shopping instead and maybe play in the garden. I soooo need this weekend off!

Hope everyone is staying cool ... summer is here with a vengeance!

valpal23
06-10-2008, 10:41 AM
:vibe: Beverlyjoy -- please pace yourself this summer -- though it IS a blessing to be so busy without having done a lot of promotion. that's great!

slashnl - I saved a pair of jeans I wore to paint... they used to be pracically painted on when I wore them.. but I painted in them on Sunday and they kept falling down. I got rid of so much stuff over the last year... my closet is so empty :(

kara- good luck tomorrow.. and I'm sure you'll find a dress. Have you mentioned to your mom how her looks can make you feel? It sounds like she could be more supportive

fiber - I used to tell myself that losing 100 pounds wouldnt make my problems go away.. and I guess now I'm really right. Thanks for sharing your experience....

I actually discovered this week that in the same time I could do a 3k hike I did last summer -40 minutes- (huffing and puffing) I can do 4.5 k without straining. So I have improved!

:wave: crazy, sandi, thistoo, photo and people on the other page that I missed. gotta run!

Kayhm0711
06-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Hey everyone. I am new to this thread just wanted to chat with some others who are in the same boat as myself. Goal is to lose 125lbs by June 7th of next year. Long way too go. But I love this website and all the awesome people.:carrot:

crazycurls
06-10-2008, 12:31 PM
:welcome3: Kayhm0711!!

ahill1979
06-10-2008, 01:11 PM
I wish that I had a while to post but I am heading out the door. I just wanted to share my great weigh in this morning with you all. For the first time in 15 years I weigh less than 200 lbs!!! I lost 1 lb this week bringing my weight down to 199.5 lbs!!!! I can't seem to stop smiling!

Be back this afternoon to catch up with all of you.

valpal23
06-10-2008, 02:09 PM
:cheer: :cheer2: :cheer: thats awesome ahill way to go! :D :cheer: :cheer2:

xGurlyGrlx
06-10-2008, 02:29 PM
I wish that I had a while to post but I am heading out the door. I just wanted to share my great weigh in this morning with you all. For the first time in 15 years I weigh less than 200 lbs!!! I lost 1 lb this week bringing my weight down to 199.5 lbs!!!! I can't seem to stop smiling!

Be back this afternoon to catch up with all of you.

That is FANTASTIC! :congrat: :yay:

Bunnababy
06-10-2008, 03:49 PM
:hat: Congratulations Manda on making Onderland.

As for me today the only thing going is TOPS weigh in tonight. Just hanging out watching lifetime movies as I woke up with a very painful foot so not much walking around.

Planning on having chili for dinner. Yes, it is still chili weather in Oregon, I know some of you are roasting already in the summer sun. :sunny:

Have had:broc::cp: two good days on plan so going for number three. :carrot:

crazycurls
06-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Bunnababy, sorry about the pain in your foot!

We had a bad storm here last night and it wiped out our internet. AHHH! The cable internet repair man came by early this morning and fixed it. He had to give us a new box outside, IDK.

I've had a pain in my back since this morning and I can't seem to shake it. I think I may have worked out a little harder yesterday.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

GirlyGirlSebas
06-11-2008, 10:43 AM
I've had a pain in my back since this morning and I can't seem to shake it. I think I may have worked out a little harder yesterday.
Oh no! Take care of yourself.:hug:

Planning on having chili for dinner. Yes, it is still chili weather in Oregon, I know some of you are roasting already in the summer sun. :sunny:
Isn't all weather chilli weather?!:D I love chilli!

For the first time in 15 years I weigh less than 200 lbs!!! That is wonderful! Congratulations!

Hey everyone. I am new to this thread just wanted to chat with some others who are in the same boat as myself. :welcome2:

:I actually discovered this week that in the same time I could do a 3k hike I did last summer -40 minutes- (huffing and puffing) I can do 4.5 k without straining. So I have improved!
Yes, you have! Great news!

I feel so much better today. That's great news.

The only movie I've seen recently is The Strangers, which was pretty scary!Do you recommend it? I've heard mixed reviews.

Today is another typical work day around here. Nothing exciting going on in my corner of the world. Talked with my daughters by phone last night. My oldest is doing a beginners volleyball camp. My SIL said the coaches told her my daughter is a "natural." :woohoo: I have an athletic daughter! Now, I just need to find some kind of volleyball club or team here in Georgia. The coach also said that Georgia is one of the worst states for volleyball. Oh well, I knew I'd eventually find something about this state that I didn't like much. And, my youngest is loving Vacation Bible School. I guess I should get off my behind and find a church to take them to. And, I don't think it would hurt Hubby and I much either!:D

Hubby and I bathed the pup last night...our 5 1/2 month old Lab mix. That was quite an effort! There was water everywhere and Hubby and I were soaking wet!:D I never seen a dog so very afraid of a bath. I thought Labs liked the water? Just think.....we get to enjoy this adventure at least once a month!

fiberlover
06-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Hi gang! Just popping in. We had big storms blow through last night and today is wonderfully cool and nonhumid!! Ahhhhhhh.......

TJFitnessDiva
06-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Morning!

I just finished working out and feeding the dogs. I have a 9 week old Great Dane puppy, a boxer and a chihuahua....I have to call the vet to see how old pups have to be to get fixed. It's been about 3 years since I have had to do that. Since they charge by the pound for females I would like to get the Great Dane fixed ASAP lol She's already like 30 pounds, yikes!

My husband told me yesterday that we are going to Amsterdam and Germany in the fall on a company trip! Yeay! I'm so freaking excited :) His company goes to a shipping expo every year held over there and we've been invited before but I didn't want to leave the kids since they were so young. I have to get another passport since it's been like 10 years since mine expired.

Blah, kids are driving me crazy so I'll be back later!

thistoo
06-11-2008, 12:43 PM
I am so jealous of all you dog owners. I'm just not home often enough for dogs, so I make do with a couple obnoxious cats. It's not quite the same (they refuse to go for walks with me!).

Rhonda, I do recommend The Strangers. It starts slowly, but I felt that really added to the atmosphere of the film. Parts of it were definitely predictable (at least if you're a horror junkie like me), and there's a line at the end I felt would have been better left on the cutting room floor, but overall I really enjoyed it. I don't scare easily, but that one woke me up a few times the night after I saw it. Probably because my back yard resembles the one in the film, minus the creepy outbuildings.

My sister really liked it too, though one of my coworkers felt it was too slow. Your mileage may vary and all that. :)

crazycurls
06-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Thistoo, I was going to watch the strangers last weekend but my friend said she didn't like it. I think I am still going to go watch it cause I scare easily. I don't think I've watched many scary movies that didn't at least spook me a little.

RomanceDiva, I want a Great Dane. They are kind of like having a minature pony! :) I got my puppy spayed when she was 6 months old, that was the required age here. I heard getting your dog spayed helps her live longer and reduces other health risks. I bet its funny to see the chihuahua and great dane beside each other!!

GirlyGirl, Congrats on having such an athletic daughter. Volleyball is kind of hard, well it was for me anyway. I played one year in high school and couldn't do it anymore. I've never seen a lab that hates water....strange! My dog is part beagle and hates water too.

My back is feeling much better today. I bought one of those body balls last night and I'm afraid of it. DH was trying to use it last night and fell. He wasn't hurt so it was actually kind of funny. We ended up playing with it more than using it for exercise. DH and I had a good time! We laughed for hours. :) We are big kids by the way.

Bunnababy
06-11-2008, 03:19 PM
How would you like to have this one spayed: The biggest dog on record was both the longest and the heaviest, an old English mastiff named Zorba. In 1989, Zorba weighed 343 pounds and was 8'3" long from nose to tail. Speaking of canine ponies! Don't think I would want to bath him either.

Isn't all weather chilli weather?! I love chilli! A great big yes to that. I think that is one of my favorite foods. My dil got me started on a McCormick mix for white bean and chicken chili. Yummers.

:carrot::carrot::carrot: I lost three pounds this week. :carrot::carrot::carrot:

The grandkids are out of school officially as of today so will be even busier with kids. Wish my 12 yo granddaughter would play volleyball. I love it but apparently she's not interested. Darn it! The grandson isn't playing summer baseball this year so we are done with sports already. What are we gonna do all summer!!!:p

TJFitnessDiva
06-11-2008, 04:20 PM
All of my animals are spayed/neutered, it's my duty as a pet owner....my SIL also brings home cats and I get them fixed as they come in. A big financial burden but if we can't give them away I'd rather not have dozens of cats having babies ;) My vet has worked out a deal with me on that and kinda hope I can talk him into a deal for the Great Dane! If she can be spayed now I'd do it in a heartbeat but she has 3 more weeks till he can do it lol

thistoo
06-11-2008, 04:23 PM
Congratulations, Bunnababy! That's a great week. No loss for me this week, but TOM started today so I'm happy to have not gained. It's a week early, which is weird, but at least I am getting it out of the way before my vacation next week.

Another thing I forgot to mention about The Strangers is that considering it's an American horror film, there was surprisingly little gore. There was no bad language at all, either. I guess that's why I liked it; its sensibilities felt very much like the moody, atmospheric Japanese horror I like so much. And now I am starting to sound like a geek so I'll stop. :o

Years ago I cleaned houses for a living, and one of my clients had a couple Great Danes. The girl was still a puppy, and she'd follow us around the house and jump on the bed to try to play whenever we changed the sheets. So cute! I could never fit that much dog in my little house, but she was a sweetie.

TJFitnessDiva
06-11-2008, 04:25 PM
I'm not into horror movies but I'm kind of interested in The Strangers for some reason lol My husband would be dragging me to the movies if I would admit that to him :x

thistoo
06-11-2008, 04:29 PM
I'm not into horror movies but I'm kind of interested in The Strangers for some reason lol My husband would be dragging me to the movies if I would admit that to him :x

It's the trailer. I haven't seen a trailer cut that well in a long time. In fact, they might have cut it a little too well; I bet that's the reason some people are feeling let down by the movie itself.

ahill1979
06-11-2008, 04:32 PM
RomanceDiva---Does the Great Dane get along well with your other dogs? We have a Newfoundland and I have been wanting to get a small dog but I am afraid that our Newfie would hurt a small dog trying to play with it. When I say small I am thinking along the lines of 15 lbs or smaller. Our Newfie is 120 lbs.

PhotoChick
06-11-2008, 04:48 PM
I really liked The Strangers. I know a lot of people walked out of the movie theater complaining about the ending or saying they thought it was lame. But there were a lot of teenagers there and I think they expected more of a "slasher" movie than it was.

I really liked it a lot.

TJFitnessDiva
06-11-2008, 05:00 PM
RomanceDiva---Does the Great Dane get along well with your other dogs? We have a Newfoundland and I have been wanting to get a small dog but I am afraid that our Newfie would hurt a small dog trying to play with it. When I say small I am thinking along the lines of 15 lbs or smaller. Our Newfie is 120 lbs.

The Great Dane is only 9 weeks old but she gets along with the other two. I had the Boxer first before the other two and I was given the Chihuahua. The Boxer gets a little rough (she weights about 65 pounds) with the Chihuahua but she'll go and hide under the bed or something when she's had enough.

crazycurls
06-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Bunnababy, Congrats on the three pounds lost! I am making chilli tonight and I use my Momma's recipe. I think its the best tasting chilli in the whole world. It's got lots of beans, onions, green peppers and tomatos. YUM!!!

My beagle mix dog is so strange. She hates any dog that is bigger than she and will bark and growl at them. She doesn't bite them but it's scary because I'm afraid the big dogs will hurt her. She loves to play with dogs her size and smaller. I don't know why she is like this. She's never been around a big dog that hurt her or anything.

mdshearer
06-11-2008, 11:07 PM
I have a five-month old and I am nursing. I am the same weight as you are. I found that 2,000 calories works really well. I walk everyday and weight train three times a week. I really noticed a difference when I started watching my calories and tried to stay at the 2,000 mark. When I first had my daughter, I had to supplement. I started to lose milk supply. I tried the Fenugreek and It worked REALLY well. You smell like maple syrup but its worth it for the baby. I hope I have helped and if you would like to email eachother I wouldnt mind conversing.

SuchAPrettyFace
06-12-2008, 03:39 AM
Anyone heard from Sandi? We had some flooding here & I saw on the news Indiana had tornadoes & flooding as well.

thistoo
06-12-2008, 10:34 AM
I really liked The Strangers. I know a lot of people walked out of the movie theater complaining about the ending or saying they thought it was lame. But there were a lot of teenagers there and I think they expected more of a "slasher" movie than it was.

Americans tend to be disappointed by a lack of blood and gore, I think. We're conditioned to expect it from horror. The Japanese and Italian films are much more atmospheric and visually interesting, which is what I like about them (though the Italians do enjoy gore). I get the impression that's why The Strangers hasn't been a bigger smash, and also why I really liked it.

And now I've said that about 8,000 times in this thread, so I'm going to shut up about it, I promise! :)

On that note, good morning! I'm working late tonight (I have to teach a computer class and I REALLY don't want to) so I've worked out and paid some bills and now I need to get ready for work. I'm going to make myself late procrastinating, but I can't seem to care today.

PhotoChick
06-12-2008, 10:55 AM
Hahahah. You don't have to shut up about it. I do agree with you and I love the Japanese horror movies. Although there are a couple that are ... not gory but definitely imply a lot of gore. The Audition was one that totally grossed me out, even though I don't think they actually ever showed any blood.

Anyway ... odd day today. I drank too much wine last night while chatting with my guy online. Shame on me. Time to drink a lot of water and get back on track! :)

GirlyGirlSebas
06-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Question, for those of you who liked "The Strangers,"...did you also like "The Others?" Are they a similar genre?

TJFitnessDiva
06-12-2008, 11:09 AM
I actually have to work tonight and then all day Saturday lol On one hand I'm looking forward to it but coming off a month long vacation has me really dragging! Just keep think about the $$$ and the fun, right? hehe

So that means I have to go and workout, get my paper work ready and then load my Jeep up....it will literally take me all day to get these three done because of my kids ;)

PhotoChick
06-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Hm. I liked both movies, but I don't think they're that similar.

The Strangers was very much a psychological thriller but you kind of know where it's going in the end.
The Others was supernatural with an ending that I didn't entirely predict, although I knew something along those lines was probable. (sorry to be cryptic, but dont' want to give anything away)

thistoo
06-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Hm. I liked both movies, but I don't think they're that similar.

What she said. The Strangers is very much 'based in truth', kind of 'horror realism', if you will, whereas The Others I would categorize as suspense/supernatural more than horror. I liked them both, but not for the same reasons.

Oh! Another great movie in this vein, if you haven't seen it, is Session 9. I cannot recommend it enough. One of my favorite films ever.

As for The Audition, yes, that one is definitely in a category of its own. Along with Ichi the Killer and a few other really out there films. The Japanese are certainly interesting artists.

Sandi
06-12-2008, 01:16 PM
Hey, I'm here!!! Thanks for asking!! We have had some storms, but most of the bad stuff has stayed out of my area!!

Saturday we leave for vacation!!! Yahhhhh!! I won't be around until next weekend, but I have the other MOD's keeping an eye out for ya!!!

emeraldjules
06-12-2008, 08:03 PM
I'm so bored out of my mind.
I'm living in a tiny little studio just for the summer to be closer to work. I have read the only book I have. I can only take so much of QVC and HSN - I hate both anyway. The four walls are closing in.

On other fronts...the boyfriend has been a total jerk for the last week, which he hung up on me again tonight. I love my summer internship - I want the job to last and not the boyfriend - is that a bad thought? I'm just having a bad night. For the most part I'm staying away from the food for comfort. I may go to bed early.

really I'm not usually such a downer

crazycurls
06-12-2008, 08:58 PM
emeraldjules, Sorry about your boyfriend, boys can be such jerks sometimes. Its good you are not using food for comfort. That's a big thing! Hope tomorrow is better than tonight was!

thistoo
06-12-2008, 11:05 PM
I'm so bored out of my mind.
I'm living in a tiny little studio just for the summer to be closer to work. I have read the only book I have. I can only take so much of QVC and HSN - I hate both anyway. The four walls are closing in.

I have no boyfriend advice. I would tell him to take his sorry attitude to someone who cares, but I'm not that good at relationships. :)

On the boredom front, however, do you have a library in town? They will lend you books for free! (says the librarian)

ahill1979
06-13-2008, 07:08 AM
Sandi, I am glad that the storms weren't to bad at your house. Have a great time on vacation.

Emerald, I hope that the boyfriend situation gets better soon. Guys can be jerks. Good luck with your internship!

Today is going to prove to be a very long day. I woke up 3 hours early and can't go back to sleep. I woke up starving which I never do. It is also Friday the 13th. Not suspicious about stuff like that usually but today would have been my dh's dads birthday. He passed away in 97. My heart breaks for my dh every year on this day. I am sure I will spend a lot of time here today trying to keep from eating every thing in sight.

Hope that it is a good day for all of you.

Bunnababy
06-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Good morning. :coffee:

Sandi, so glad the storms didn't get to you.

Emerald :hug: remember to love yourself.

I had a hard eating day yesterday but because weight watchers has the weekly allot of points I still stayed in range and have some points leftover for the weekend. Should be a lot less stressful around here as the grandkids are going to be with their mother for the weekend. The 12 yo has lots of problems and it gets really stressful with her sometimes and this week was one of those weeks. We don't have the kids full time but with my sons shift work it seems like it sometimes.

Had my walk in the park this morning with friends so now going to finish the movie I have (The Good Shepherd) and then swat flies.:devil: I cannot believe we have this many already.

Have a good one everybody. :dust:

thistoo
06-13-2008, 02:19 PM
TGIF! Work has been pretty stressful this week, and combined with TOM I am really struggling food-wise. I hate that I have such a hard time every month (welcome to womanhood, I know), and it makes me crazy that I can't control the cravings when I know intellectually why they're happening.

I'm working on it. Only two and a half more hours and I can head home, away from the donuts and the cake! Tomorrow morning I'll hit the farmer's market for lots of fresh veggies and local meats, and I know I'll start feeling better.

I hope everyone else is having a nice Friday. It's a beautiful day here, at least.

crazycurls
06-13-2008, 03:08 PM
thistoo, I'm glad you mentioned the farmers market. I've been wanting to go for a long time and I always forget on the weekends.

It's a very icky day outside. Its cloudy and HUMID. Those stupid locusts are out in full force. I can hear them when I am sitting on the couch. When I go outside, its SO LOUD!!! Is anyone else hating the locusts?

Slashnl
06-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Crazycurls: Isn't that funny? I just mentioned to someone in another thread that I live in a very dry area where there aren't many of the bugs that normally like the humid states. We don't have locusts here.

As a kid, I used to spend summers in Nebraska where they have the locusts. I always thought they were kind of cool, but I didn't have to deal with them all the time. They are loud! We also don't have fireflies here. Those are fun to see, too.

crazycurls
06-13-2008, 04:06 PM
These are the 17 year cicadas and they are so creepy looking. They have reddish eyes and clear wings! EEEK!

I love fireflies! (We always called them lightning bugs) We use to catch them all the time!

Bunnababy
06-14-2008, 02:28 PM
I have never seen a firefly. Sad huh! Locusts I am sure have come through Oregon as we have crops here.

Not much going on today except picking the roses for our front yard. We just put in a new front yard. It has been so many years since I raised roses that I will have to also buy a care book. I can't wait.

Everyone have a good day. :)

librarygirl12
06-14-2008, 03:59 PM
Hi, I'm a newbie here, my name is Rachel and I was wondering if I could join this group. I joined WW about 5 1/2 months ago and lost 15 lbs, but still have about 92lbs to lose. I could use all the help and support that I can get. I have a diet blog on here that will explain more about me.

GirlyGirlSebas
06-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Hi Rachel! Yes, please join us. Everyone is welcome.

Bunnababy
06-15-2008, 02:51 PM
:welcome3:Hi Rachel, good to have you here.

I am doing WW too. Are you doing the flex or core program?

:coffee2: Good afternoon everyone. Does everybody have plans for Father's Day? Our boys are coming over to barbeque so will have to keep close track of my points. This is always a hard day for my dil as her dad passed away 1 1/2 years ago at a young (54) age.

Got our roses in this morning, they look so good.

Have a good one. :dust:

librarygirl12
06-15-2008, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the welcome everyone! :dance:

Sue- I am doing Flex, and enjoy it. I just need to regularly exercise to help me lose more weight, as I've been on a stupid plateau for about a month and a half. I am going to start that this week and hopefully I've found some exercise videos that will help me out with that.

SuchAPrettyFace
06-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Hey, I'm here!!! Thanks for asking!! We have had some storms, but most of the bad stuff has stayed out of my area!!

Saturday we leave for vacation!!! Yahhhhh!! I won't be around until next weekend, but I have the other MOD's keeping an eye out for ya!!!Glad to hear you are ok & the tornadoes/flooding I am seeing on the news didn't affect you guys.

Hope you have a great trip!

For Father's Day, I saw both my father & stepfather last night. today is their day to do what they want, and they both wanted to sit around & do nothing. So I am honoring that by staying home. We might have dinner, but nothing firm, which is fine. :)

GirlyGirlSebas
06-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Good morning, Chicks!

We had a nice weekend...too much good food and drink, but enjoyable nevertheless.:dizzy: I tried to make it as enjoyable as possible for Hubby, but he was really missing our DD's.

I bought some red vinyl to recover the breakfast nook chairs. I can't wait to see what they'll look like. Currently, they are covered with a taupe microfibre. Boring! Plus, I'm constantly having to clean them as my girls are messy. Now, I'll be able to just wipe with a damp cloth! Plus, I love red! IMO, no room is complete without a touch of red. I also bought the hardware to rehang the planters on my front porch. We've only had the flowers for a month now....I guess it's time to finally plant them. The japanese beetles have nibbled on every single leaf of my new crepe myrtle tree...arggggh! I hate those things!

Today is a typical workday. Nothing exciting happening in my world.

Darkblue
06-16-2008, 11:52 AM
We went to the farmer's market over the weekend and bought fresh vine-ripe tomatos, a cucumber, blueberries, peaches, and blackberries. Yum!

Hope everyone has a great on-plan week!

SwimGirl
06-17-2008, 02:46 AM
I just have to share.... I bought tickets to see New Kids On The Block!! I remember being in love with them when I was like 12-13 years old.. so it'll be exciting! I just have to find someone to go with now! heh..

-Aimee

Beverlyjoy
06-17-2008, 05:34 AM
Hi folks....the weather has been beautiful here in Central Ohio. We are having a mild spell this week.

My nephew got married last weekend and it was a great weekend of family and fun. We gave them a good send off!

Have a great day.

TamTam
06-17-2008, 09:13 AM
Good Morning all! I am an old member who is new here again. Things have been rough here. One of my best friends who also works for me had a grandbaby come early, he was supposed to be born in August and came May 25, at birth he weighed 3.6 pounds and is 16" long, he was doing fine until he caught a staff infection, now he may not make it, we have been praying and fasting for this baby, another friend and her husband were in a bad motorcycle accident, she is out of the coma, but we don't know of any
permanent damage, he has quite a few broken bones. Anyway thanks for letting me post and have a blessed day.

crazycurls
06-17-2008, 02:26 PM
Swimgirl, I didn't know they were touring. I saw their video on TV a couple nights ago and I was shocked. The dancing and what-not. LOL I would love to go see them!

CatholicCajun, I am sorry things have been so rough. I will be praying for your friend's grandbaby and the ones that were in the motorcycle accident. I hope things start looking up your way!!

In my part of the world, things are good. I'm still looking for a job. I've applied to what seems like a million positions but no luck! I am currently waiting to hear back from two places that have my application right now. WISH ME LUCK!

Bunnababy
06-17-2008, 07:09 PM
Good afternoon all. :wave:

Sorry to hear about the baby Catholic, very sad time. Hope your friends are going to be okay from the accident.

GirlyGirl: Is it red red? or an off red? sounds lovely though and so much easier than cleaning fabric. I am so not coordinated enough to do recovering furniture. :shrug: Glad you had a nice weekend.

DarkBlue: It is so nice when the fresh produce is in. I am getting fresh strawberries and making some jam next week. :stir:

SwimGirl: When is the show? How exciting for ya! :broc:

Beverly: Sounds like you had a great time. What was the send off?

Crazy: I too am looking for a job. We sold our business and I am just too bored being home all the time. Not sure how with caring for an 83 yo and my two granddaughters. Maybe bored isn't the right word more like ESCAPE.:yikes:

Tonight is weigh in at TOPS other than that not much today. Planning on finishing my book (The Loop by Nicholas Evans) tonight or tomorrow. :book2: Loving it, I will have to read more of his stuff including the The Horse Whisperer, saw the movie but never read the book.

Talk to you all later, have a good evening. :dust: