Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-09-2008, 08:22 AM   #1  
Yogasaurus

S/C/G: 180/120/115

Height: 5' 5"

Question Help for Hotties!!

No really- it has been SO hot and sticky this weekend. I have been finding it difficult to exercise in this kind of weather. I drink lots of water, and plan my workouts for early morning or late evening, but really- I feel gross after just a few minutes into my elliptical routine. No A/C in my old house- HA! Anyone else fighting this motivation-buster? What do you do to make it through the summer months "on plan" for exercise (besides a three month membership to a gym with A/C)?
Circebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:51 AM   #2  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

OMG! You READ MY MIND! I don't mind getting all sweaty during exercise, but there IS a limit and when it's 95 degrees, I just feel like I *can't* move. I despise the hot weather, this weekend was a kind of torture for me. The whole summer is torturous for me, actually.

We went to the beach yesterday, but the water was still too cold to swim in, so we just lied on the beach, sweating, and I wanted to work out once we got home, but I just felt so gross and sweaty, I was only able to get through 20 min 30 Day Shred Level 1 (and I struggled through that), before I just *NEEDED* to shower. Ugh.

I have a gym membership, but I can't always make it to the gym, so I like to supplement with working out at home. Also, all my weight training happens at home too.

I'm going to try to get my fiance to put in the A/C today so I can work out in the bedroom with the air on.

I'm happy to hear I'm not the only person who felt totally turned off to exercise this weekend -- I starting feeling very frustrated with myself for not wanting to work out. I was thinking, "You see, and THIS is why you will always be heavy... because you don't have the discipline to keep up with anything..." but maybe my motivation isn't the problem.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:16 AM   #3  
...the duchess...

S/C/G: 180/151/130

Height: 5'7"

.honestly, y'all are right.
.working out & getting all hot & sweaty is one thing, but working out when just remaining immobile already has you dripping with sweat is quite another.
.i tell myself that its hotter, so somehow i must be burning more calories doing whatever i'm doing...lol no science to back this up, but it works for my mind.
.the heat wave this weekend was killer, a friend of mine fainted while watching the puerto rican day parade.
.my advise would be to stock up on extra water, you can never have too much, and tell yourself that the more you sweat, the more you'll lose & the better you'll feel.
.lol, yup, we have got to go through **** & high water before we come out on the other side...healthier, happier & thinner.

.ciao bellas.

Last edited by mizztiQue; 06-09-2008 at 09:19 AM. Reason: correction
mizztiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:23 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

I live next to a military base in Japan and use the gym on base. Unfortunately aside from the hospital and the commissary (grocery), there are very few locations on base with AC. Something to do with not having the power to support it.

Anyway, while I have AC at home (off-base), the gym has none and I feel your pain.

The things I do to alleviate my own distress and force myself to go to the gym anyway are:
1. Exercise early morning before the heat has fully developed. This is better than evening when the heat still hasn't fully dissipated yet.
2. Position myself next to an open window and/or a fan.
3. Drink LOTS of water while I'm on the treadmill, elliptical, stairstepper or when between weight machines.
4. Take a cool shower as soon as I get home (or in your case, as soon as you are done).

It's still not great but it helps a LOT. I feel for the poor women who have to use the 'toddler' exercise room...it's a converted racquetball court! No windows! One fan! Tiny door! No airflow! Ughhh...thank goodness I don't have small children anymore.

Good luck!

Last edited by snapless; 06-09-2008 at 09:24 AM.
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:34 AM   #5  
Yogasaurus

S/C/G: 180/120/115

Height: 5' 5"

I'm so glad to see I'm not alone! I did 15 minutes on the elliptical cycle, and a half hour of hooping, and I feel like Kung-Fu Panda. Really- right now, even folding laundry feels like Bikram Yoga. Drip, drip! I think I'll go open the fridge and just feeeeellllll the cool air. Risky, but I think I can aviod the snacking urge and just suck up the chill!
Circebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:41 AM   #6  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Circebee,
I think you deserve a prize for just doing something with no A/C. I would not be able to do anything, period. When it's that hot and humid as it was this weekend, I sweat just breathing. I literally can either eat (that I can do anytime LOL), sleep, watch TV or read a book. Any kind of physical exertion is too much.

I thought, foolishly, this morning, that the weather has taken turn for the better so I turned off the A/C (it seemed cooler outside than inside) and open ed the window while I was on my treadmill. I sweated twice as much than I normally do (which is a lot). I could not stop sweating even after I had a shower. Ugh! I hate hot weather and humidity, and I don't like to be cooped up in a house (even with A/C). I like open windows and breeze.

I would recommend exercising really early (I get at 5:30 am to squeeze exercise in) because it is much cooler in the morning than in the evening.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:45 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
besides a three month membership to a gym with A/C
Heh. That's my answer. Seriously, I know I would not exercise if I had to do it w/out a/c.

Bleah.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote