100 lb. Club - Doritos and Sour Cream ARE e v i l

emeraldjules
06-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Ok, so I'm a newbie and I've made this decision I'm going to be more careful about what I eat. Holy cow batman. Maybe I should just try keeping track of what I eat in the first place, maybe I'll stop eating this crap. I detailed this in my blog earlier but here it is in a nutshell...

In two sittings today I have snarfed down 1/2 a bad of Spicy Nacho Doritos and an entire 8 oz container of Sour Cream.

Doritos consumed - roughly 6 servings @ 140 calories *6 = 840
Sour Cream - 8 servings (@ 2 Tbsp.) @ 60 calories * 8 = 480

Thus my two little snacks totaled 1320 calories… OMG that’s nearly a one day calorie intake.

:devil: made me do it

WarMaiden
06-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Portion control is definitely important if you want to lose weight.

But you can look into substitutions for the things you like to snack on, too. For example, plain nonfat yogurt substitutes pretty well for sour cream. I mix up half a cup of yogurt with a tablespoon of mayonnaise, some chopped garlic, and some cayenne or chili powder for a great dip for chips. That way, it's actually contributing to my health. And then for chips, I measure out a portion and put the bag away. Sometimes I will get baked chips instead of regular, too, so I'm not eating a lot of extra fat.

Anyways, point is, a healthy, sustainable diet includes healthy snacking.

CHUNKEY_MUNKEY
06-08-2008, 09:23 PM
they are hard to resist i know ! i love dorito's im on Weight Watchers i try to factor a bag into my points evrey day (you know the little 25 cents bags ) but its soo hard i used to scarf down an entire jumbo bag in one sitting .... over come the craving !! dont let it get the best of you !

GradPhase
06-08-2008, 09:26 PM
Oh my goodness, SOOO true!!

My boyfriend and I used to snack on doritos and salsa almost every night. Definitely had to put an end to that! It was definitely one of my all-or-nothing vices!

PhotoChick
06-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Yup. I had sour cream and ranch dip today with veggies. I know how much I had and haven't gone over my cals ... but you gotta watch that stuff. Closely. :)

You can also make the dip with low fat sour cream and it's still good. I don't like the low-fat stuff plain, but when you're making dip out of it, it's still ok.

mistymed
06-08-2008, 09:31 PM
this was my fav food group before wls. i love love love chips and dip. now i cant have carbs so i try to stay away. i have a taste every once in a while, but just a taste.

famograham
06-08-2008, 10:22 PM
I am yet another lover of doritos and sour cream.....EVIL....but I love them so.

Chips are a very, VERY big part of my problem.

Lyn2007
06-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Well, yeah, Doritos are evil. Something about that cheese powder is addicting. I used to... get this... take an 8 oz BLOCK of sharp cheddar and slice it up in a bowl. Then bring that bowl, a big bag of Doritos, and a container of sour cream into the living room and eat it ALL. A whole friggen BLOCK of cheddar!! With Coke no less! Frankly I am surprized I don't have cheese for brains.

xGurlyGrlx
06-08-2008, 10:51 PM
Yes...Doritos are EVIL! That is mostly what I wanted to eat while on vacation the other week. BAD BAD BAD...It has been hard trying to forget the spicy nacho ones. :devil:

JayEll
06-09-2008, 07:32 AM
I'm glad to see I'm not the only Dorito junky... :lol:

I couldn't have them in the house when I started my program. Some foods are just like that.

Now, I can have them in the house--but my rule is that the bag gets divided up into serving-size portions in zipper bags, which then get put into a larger bag, which then gets tossed on an upper shelf in the pantry. Sometimes I forget they are there! Also, now that I am used to an actual serving size, I realize that that's all one has to eat of them to feel satisfied.

But I could not have done this to start!

I have other foods on the "not in my house" list... It's really the best way to deal with them for me.

Jay

Nada
06-09-2008, 09:51 AM
I've never been a fan of orange dust so Doritos, Cheetos etc not a problem--but salt and vinegar Pringles....I am powerless before them so they are totally banned from my life.

ChrissyBean
06-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Huh, it never occurred to me to combine Doritos and sour cream. Dang.

Bunnababy
06-09-2008, 06:46 PM
A bag of doritos and an 8 oz block of cheese grated and then melted in the oven. Oh yeah! Then some sour cream for dipping. :devil::devil::devil:

trying again26
06-09-2008, 06:48 PM
I've had the same kind of problems. I have had to keep a very detailed journal of everything i eat. I have found this helps me a lot!

BrandNewJen
06-11-2008, 10:04 AM
Dipping doritos in sour cream? At first I was confused and thought you ate them separately--- but just plain sour cream as a dip... interesting...

I'm not a salt fiend, so that's not an issue for me (well, I don't CRAVE chips, etc... but once I start to eat one or two, I can't stop). I'm a baked goods CRAVER.

But yeah--- keeping a food diary, logging calories--- SOOOOO important!!! So many times before I eat a meal I type it into Fitday and go WHOA, no WAY am I eating that!!! Didn't realize how many more calories were in there!!!!

It also helps b/c when you're REALLY craving something you can plan your day and eat ONLY what you have written down adn planned so you make SURE there's room for that little treat.

CHUNKEY_MUNKEY
06-11-2008, 11:34 AM
.... the dorito's company must do good business i never knew so many people had a weakness for dorito's in my house im the only one who likes em my sisters hate them my husband hates them my parents hate them(they are all potato chip crazy ) ..... i thought most people prefered potato chips over doritos .... intresting

xxxtine
06-11-2008, 12:24 PM
You're on my same wave length. Sour Cream = best dip ever...I don't even need anything in it. I would put sour cream on cake if I could.

Anyways. Try getting the Greek Style No Fat Yogurt. It has the same consistancy as sour cream(maybe a little thicker) but only 20 calories per tablespoon. If you get fat free mini pretzels your at 100 calories for 16 and fat free!

RoIsOnARoll
06-11-2008, 01:12 PM
OMG..Doritos...Yum..I also never thought to combine with my favorite topping ever - Sour cream!! I LOVE sour cream too!

My bf works for Frito-Lay - :devil: He is the one responsible for bringing these delicious snacks to the masses. He can bring home stales if he wants, but NO WAY! Not allowed! He'll bring home an occasional bag of Sun Chips, but everything else is off limits in our house!!

If anyone is wondering what those black bags of Dortios (Quest) taste like, but don't want to buy a bag, they are lemon/lime Doritos. Personally I think they're gross!

KLK
06-11-2008, 01:32 PM
I used to be able to polish off a whole bag of doritos in a single sitting (I still CAN, but I don't), but really when you read the serving size, it's actually kind of a lot of chips -- what is the serving size? 15 chips? That's a decent amount and sometimes less than that will actually satisfy my need for them.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only Dorito junky... :lol:

I couldn't have them in the house when I started my program. Some foods are just like that.

Now, I can have them in the house--but my rule is that the bag gets divided up into serving-size portions in zipper bags, which then get put into a larger bag, which then gets tossed on an upper shelf in the pantry. Sometimes I forget they are there! Also, now that I am used to an actual serving size, I realize that that's all one has to eat of them to feel satisfied.

But I could not have done this to start!

I have other foods on the "not in my house" list... It's really the best way to deal with them for me.

Jay

BrandNewJen
06-11-2008, 01:35 PM
It's all about reading your labels, ladies... like I was CRAVING salsa and tortilla chips the other day--- I cruised the snack aisle and found that the Troyer Farm Deli Style yellow corn chips (the ones I thought would be the WORST) are actually 16 chips for only 130 calories!!! That's a lot of chips--- and I doubled the serving and ate my super low calorie salsa--- and was FULL at the end!

Other packages were way smaller serving sizes or way higher calories!

emeraldjules
06-12-2008, 08:17 PM
You're on my same wave length. Sour Cream = best dip ever...I don't even need anything in it. I would put sour cream on cake if I could.

Anyways. Try getting the Greek Style No Fat Yogurt. It has the same consistancy as sour cream(maybe a little thicker) but only 20 calories per tablespoon. If you get fat free mini pretzels your at 100 calories for 16 and fat free!

I have never heard of Greek Style No Fat Yogurt. I will have to look for it. Sounds interesting and I think I'd be willing to try it. Thanks for the tip!

BTW I never thought my topic would cause such a discussion! :dizzy:

LindseyLouWho
06-12-2008, 11:33 PM
I think the most common brands of Greek yogurt are probably Fage or Oikos, just in case you're not sure of what to look for in the yogurt section. I wish they had it at the stores in the dinky town I'm staying in over the summer. I actually drive an hour to Houston to get mine! It's THAT good (and versatile!). I make sauces with it, dressings, mix it with honey and almonds for dessert, etc. etc.

emeraldjules
06-13-2008, 06:15 PM
I think the most common brands of Greek yogurt are probably Fage or Oikos, just in case you're not sure of what to look for in the yogurt section. I wish they had it at the stores in the dinky town I'm staying in over the summer. I actually drive an hour to Houston to get mine! It's THAT good (and versatile!). I make sauces with it, dressings, mix it with honey and almonds for dessert, etc. etc.

That rocks. I will look for it around here.

clibrarian
06-19-2008, 10:00 AM
Another great idea with Greek yogurt or plain yogurt:

Line a strainer with a wet paper towel-- put the entire contents of the yogurt in the strainer-- but the strainer over a bowl-- put it in the fridge overnight.

What you're left with in the morning is a delicious cream cheese texture on the paper towel, in the strainer. Its great as a spread, or great as a 'base' for any kind of dip-- put some dill weed and scallions into it-- totally delicious, and way, way less fat and calories. Just transfer to an air tight container!

PhotoChick
06-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Line a strainer with a wet paper towel-- put the entire contents of the yogurt in the strainer-- but the strainer over a bowl-- put it in the fridge overnight.I do this but with a coffee filter rather than a papertowel. It holds up better. :)

clibrarian
06-19-2008, 12:51 PM
ohh that is a great idea! I'll do that next time!

Lori Bell
06-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Oh yes, the Doritos & sour cream fix, delicious, I must add. Also enjoyable is BBQ potato chips & sour cream. I treat them like a recovering alcoholic would treat a jug of wine...out of the house. It's not even worth torturing myself, and obviously I'm not into self control or i wouldn't have eaten myself up to 333 pounds. :( Maybe 100 pounds down the pike I'll be able to handle small portions...but not now.