Old 06-06-2008, 08:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Default I had saved Barb's "Motivation List" from the other day....

I thought it was so good...I sent it to some friends.

1. Naturally, rewards for specific goals: 5 pounds lost, ten, or twenty five, pushing yourself past a certain measurement (being able to do more push ups, go longer, more laps in less time), staying OP for a certain number of days.

2. Keeping track of measurements: body weight, steps per day, body measurements, calories burned, increase in weights used, increase in pace or time on exercise.

3. Mini-movies: imagine and write down little mental “movies” for yourself at goal and along the “goal path” – how things are going to be better when you are “there”.

4. Have mile-post celebrations: quarter of the way, half way, whatever – something big and symbolic – BLC folks,pics in their goal clothes, the makeovers BLC has for their quarter finalists, Oprah pulling the wagon load of lard onto the stage to show physically how much weight she had lost, BLC doing the film/pic comparison for their finalists – this is you when you started, this is you now.

5. Vision boards: a poster made up of images and words of where/what/who you want to be when you get to “goal.” How can you get where you’re going if you don’t have a good idea of “there” looks/feels like? Doesn’t have to be an on-the-wall poster if you don’t want other people to see – it could be a book or a file you can look at when you need a little inspiration.

6. Weekly (or more often if needed) review of what you have really accomplished.

7. Daily or weekly check off lists so you can see what you’ve done.

8. Restarting: since the “honeymoon” phase lasts only so long and it helps to mix things up to keep the weight loss going, make/get/plan a program that lasts a finite amount of time (4 weeks, 6 weeks, 12 weeks, Spring, summer vacation, Biggest Loser season, whatever) and stick to it. When you feel the honeymoon’s definitely over, try a different plan, starting at where you are.

9. Come up with your own motivation tape: Proud by Heather Small, Make A Man Out of You from Mulan, “Long Road” by Rod Stewart…others? What music speaks to you? Someone once told me that music bypasses your “thinking” brain and goes straight to your subconscious.

10. Re-read posts you’ve found inspirational. One of the ones I like best was actually fire-stormed off the board.

11. Watch an episode of Biggest Loser or some other inspiring show – I understand the whole first season of the Australian version is on Youtube. (At least for the time being.)

12. Take pics periodically so you can see how you’re changing. Other people can some times see more changes than you do. Commit to getting the pictures -- I hate having my picture taken.

13. Have written goals and review them often.

14. Come up with your own slogan – something you can repeat to yourself when things get a little tougher. We all can’t have Jillian sitting on our backs yelling to keep going.

15. Have a Cheerleading session – write down or just say all the great reasons you want to change, how great it’s going to be, how cool when everybody oohs and aahs over your stunning accomplishments, how *this time* you’re ready for it, you’re equipped for it, you can do this.

Any other ideas? There should be long term and short term types of things -- some days it hard just to make to the end of the day and some times you hit the groove and feel like you could go on forever. I haven't made it back into the groove but I'd like to and I'd like to make sure it lasts until I get this done *this time*.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I'll add this to the list:

Something that I have done (I heard it on the Today show years from a pschycologist) ago is to take post-it notes and write "Yes, I can!" or something else positive and meaningful to yourself. Post the saying all over: ie. - mirror in bathroom, cupboards, closet, car, etc. When you see the note...SAY IT (to yourself or out loud). The power of positive reinforcement and thinking. I did it back then...ended up putting Y.I.C.! - so that it wasn't quite so obvious to guests. Ya know....I think I'll do this again.

I watch You Are What You Eat and Lose It and other weight loss shows when I can.

I also log my food....write down everything that I eat (planned of unplanned). At the end of a healthy day - I put a smily face on that page. It's so nice to lots of smileys during the month. !
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:55 PM   #3  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverlyjoy View Post
Something that I have done (I heard it on the Today show years from a pschycologist) ago is to take post-it notes and write "Yes, I can!" or something else positive and meaningful to yourself. Post the saying all over: ie. - mirror in bathroom, cupboards, closet, car, etc. When you see the note...SAY IT (to yourself or out loud). The power of positive reinforcement and thinking. I did it back then...ended up putting Y.I.C.! - so that it wasn't quite so obvious to guests. Ya know....I think I'll do this again.
I do this and it really does work. It's helped a lot with my self-esteem issues.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote