General chatter - Whatcha Reading June '08

View Full Version : Whatcha Reading June '08

Smiling_Sara
06-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Please all, post what you are reading again.

I am about to leave on vacation and have a few books in tow.

Ask Again Later
The Bright Forever
Swapping Lives
Love and Biology at the Center of the Universe
and
Hypocrite in a puffy white dress

anyone have any rec's on which one to read first?

Clydegirl
06-06-2008, 09:06 PM
I'm reading "The Bone Garden" by Tess Gerritsen.

I also have "Remember Me" by Sophie Kinsella and "The First Patient" by Michael Palmer.

Heffalump
06-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Just finished Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan today. Tons of food for thought.

Next in the pile is Positively Fourth Street: The Lives and Times of Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Mimi Baez Farina and Richard Farina by David Hajdu.

Maybe I'll also start reading Vellum by Hal Duncan to get my fiction fix. I liked Perdido Street Station by China Miéville, which I finished about a week ago, and the two authors are often mentioned in the same context, so my hopes are quite high.

vmo1
06-06-2008, 11:00 PM
A stack of cookbooks 2 feet tall to get ready for my bakery opening! :-D And a collection of Jane Austen (6 books in 1) for bedtime reading.

FrouFrou
06-06-2008, 11:43 PM
Under The Banner of Heaven...Jon Krakauer, still trying to get thru it.

Glory87
06-07-2008, 01:33 AM
I loved Under the Banner of Heaven (I've liked everything I've read by Jon Krakauer - Into Thin Air, Into The Wild).

I just finished Charlaine Harris' Ice Cold Grave (http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Grave-Harper-Connelly-Mysteries/dp/0425217299/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212816369&sr=8-1). I'm liking her Harper Connolly books MUCH better than her Sookie Stackhouse books - since Sookie has started taking the Anita Blake slut train to Whoreville. It was a little light and fluffy (well, for book about a serial killer and tortured dead boys) but it was pretty good.

Next up - Either Lush Life (http://www.amazon.com/Lush-Life-Novel-Richard-Price/dp/0374299250/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212816697&sr=8-1) by Richard Price or Panic in Level 4 (http://http://www.amazon.com/Panic-Level-Cannibals-Viruses-Journeys/dp/1400064902/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212816717&sr=1-1) by Richard Preston.

Shopaholic1204
06-07-2008, 02:12 AM
I also have "Remember Me" by Sophie Kinsella

I really enjoyed reading that one. I've read all her books.

I'm reading Twilight by Stephenie Meyer..I'm LOVING it so far!!!

LisaMarie71
06-07-2008, 09:34 AM
Shopaholic, I'm reading New Moon, the second book in the Twilight saga. I read the first one a few months back on the recommendation of my mother. Interesting how much this young adult series has crossed over into adult readers! It's definitely targeted toward a teenage girl audience, but I enjoyed the story and I'm enjoying the second one so far.

GlitteringPink
06-07-2008, 09:43 AM
I have just finished reading The Girls by Lori Lansens - Brilliant book!

I am now starting My sisters keeper by Jodi Picoult.

FrouFrou
06-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Finally finished Under The Banner...GLORY87...I like him as well. I have both Into The Wild and have read that one, and Into Thin Air, will get to it eventually, lol. I keep saying I will not buy any books until I have read the ones I have...not working, lol.

Started A McKaslin Homecoming by Jillian Hart....never heard of these books or the woman. DS got it in the mail as a free gift...them wanting him to sign up and get more. Of course it is an Inspirational romance and totally nothing he would read, lol. So he gave it to me and it's actually not so bad. Plan on finishing it today.

Razz44
06-07-2008, 06:58 PM
I should be doing some more constructive reading right now, but instead picked up two fun books from the library.

The Choice by Nicholas Sparks
Walking in Circles Before Lying Down by Merrill Markoe

FrouFrou
06-12-2008, 01:32 PM
I have been wanting to read The Choice by Nicholas Sparks, he's a fav.

Almost done with A McKaslin Homecoming and then going to start The Doctors Wife...can't remember who it is by.

blueberry3
06-12-2008, 04:38 PM
I just finished Eat, Love, Pray a little while ago and I LOVED it. I am in between books right now and have been reading More Magazine. It is a great issue - Karen Allen is on the cover and looks fantastic and the model search winner and top semi finalists are featured also. I love it - has anyone else read the June issue? It is seriously great!

JenMusic
06-13-2008, 07:54 PM
Did a search on the forums for Stephenie Meyer because I had to tell someone this! :) Last night I stayed up to 2:30 finishing her newest book, "The Host." It's very different from the Twilight series (which I have also read and loved) so I can't even compare them, but it's definitely a book I would recommend. I have the bags under my eyes to prove it!

I also recently finished an oldie but a goodie, "Cold Sassy Tree" by Olive Ann Burns. A great glimpse into the South 100 years ago.

Shopaholic1204
06-13-2008, 09:49 PM
I like Stephanie Meyer so I'll have to check out The Host when I'm done reading the Twilight series.

srmb60
06-14-2008, 08:04 AM
Absolutely desperate for something to read one day, I fished a Carol O'Connell book out of a box at work. I read it even tho' it was number 8 or 9 in a series about Kathy Mallory. I really enjoyed it (can't remember the title now). I went online and found all the others. As soon as I finish Patricia Cornwell's Jack the Ripper, I'll launch into them.

ANOther
06-14-2008, 02:36 PM
About 2/3 of the way through The Good Guy by Dean Koontz

Sweet Sissy
06-14-2008, 03:30 PM
I finished Size 12 Is Not Fat by Meg Cabot the other day. I'm about to start My Life As a Rhombus, a young adult book that I picked up from the library. I need to read Mohawk by Richard Russo for book club - has anyone else read it?

Shopaholic1204
06-17-2008, 03:07 AM
I'm reading..New Moon by Stephanie Meyer. I'm loving it so far!!

snapless
06-17-2008, 04:54 AM
I read all the time. New books, old books, various types of fiction, various types of non-fiction....you can almost name anything.

Anyway, I just completed The Renshai Chronicles series by Mickey Zucker Reichert, and have just started on The Powers That Be series by Anne McCaffrey & Elizabeth Ann Scarborough.

JenMusic
06-17-2008, 05:15 AM
Shopaholic, I'm a huge fan of Stephenie Meyer's. I don't think she's the most eloquent author to ever put pen to paper (I'm mean, she's no F. Scott Fitzergerald, but neither am I!) but I do think that her stories and characters have this amazing quality that just makes me want more. I mean, she's writing about vampires for Pete's sake and I want them to be real! :)

Hope you have Eclipse waiting for you as soon as you get done with New Moon!

LisaMarie71
06-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Jen, have you read Meyer's The Host? I just rented it from Bookswim, but I don't know when I'll get it. I still need to read Eclipse too.

Right now I just can't find anything I want to read. I get in these ruts sometimes, and I think it's because I've just read TOO much lately, if that makes sense. Nothing is satisfying me. I keep starting books and then stopping them because I don't like them. Then I go back to reading all my books about childbirth and labor and scaring myself. :lol:

Shopaholic1204
06-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Jen~Oh ya, I defiantly want more!!! I want the vampires to be real too!!! LoL!! I dunno though, I haven't loved a series like this in awhile. I even got my friend into loving it as well, lol. I do have Eclipse waiting for me. I had to leave it out in the living room so I couldnt be tempted to start reading it while I was still reading Full Moon, lol. I do read another vampire series though. But its mostly like chick lit. It's fun light reading. I swear, I dont have a thing for vampires, LOL!!! (Or maybe I do..I still love watching Buffy)

LisaMarie~I'm gonna be reading The Host after Eclipse. It's gonna be a little wait until the 4th book comes out, so I gotta keep entertained until then, lol.

Marathon Mom
06-17-2008, 02:56 PM
I am reading Water for Elephants - I love it!!!!!!

LisaMarie71
06-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Francie -- What's the other vampire series you like? Maybe I'd like it too! I love Buffy -- we bought all the seasons on DVD and pretty much plowed straight through them a few years ago. Right now we're watching all the Angel seasons (we're on season 4 now).

FrouFrou
06-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Sweet Sissy...how did you like Size 12 is Not Fat? I just bought it but won't read it for a week or so. I have my next three reads stacked (it's second) and waiting but still working on The Doctor's Wife by Elizabeth Brundage.

Mararthon Mom...I LOVED Water for Elephants...definitely one I will read over and over, eventually.

JenMusic
06-17-2008, 06:59 PM
YAY for finding fellow book lovers. :)

LisaMarie - I devoured The Host last week. I really enjoyed it. It's very different from Twilight (not nearly as over-the-top romantic) but again, the story is compelling. I understand about being in ruts, and then nothing satisfies. I'm kind of there right now.

Shopaholic - I live in Asia, and found the Twilight books in Singapore last winter. I brought them back and have been passing them around my friends here ever since. Everyone's addicted!

Right now I'm re-reading a book I picked up from my shelf in desperation - it's one of the Falco mysteries by Lindsey Davis. It's passing the time, but I want something new that I haven't read before.

Heffalump
06-17-2008, 07:16 PM
Currently reading

The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion (gulp!)
and (to lighten the mood, or not, as it were ;))
Wicked by Gregory Maguire

EZMONEY
06-17-2008, 07:57 PM
LONE SURVIVOR....a gift from my daughter for Father's Day...loving it!

Shopaholic1204
06-17-2008, 10:58 PM
Lisa~The other vampire books I read are the Undead and Unwed series. I think they're funny..lots of s-e-x though, lol. I'm waiting for the next book to come out. The author also wrote like 2 books about a Mermaid, those were pretty good too. I wish she'd write more.

Jen~Oh ya, the books are very addicting!! I'm so glad my friend started reading them too, lol. We're gonna see the movie together when it comes out. I cant wait to read The Host.

Well..I'll be starting Eclipse tonight. Its gonna be a long night of reading, lol.

Clydegirl
06-19-2008, 04:14 PM
Just got back from the library. Picked up

"Secrets Of A Shoe Addict" by Beth Harbison. Looks like a lot of fun.

"Obsession" by Jonathan Kellerman. I read everything he writes. Really enjoy the Alex Delaware novels.

"Sis Boom Bah" by Jane Heller. Another fun book.

angeline
06-19-2008, 05:20 PM
I've got 3 new ones.

Book club has selected "Eat, Pray, Love" which I started months ago. It never really grabbed me although I know lots of people loved it. I guess I'll try it again.

The next two I learned of through one of Canada's Sunday papers. We were in Calgary last week.

"On Chesil Beach" by Ian McEwan. National Bestseller in US & Canada. Received wonderful reviews. He wrote "Atonement".

"Snuff" by Chuck Palahniuk. This was #2 in Calgary. He also wrote: "Choke" & "Fight Club" - both turned into movies. May be too risque for some.

Just finished "Secret Life of Bees". This is another book that I know a lot of people loved. I liked it and did find the ending moving but, at times, I was kind of blah about it. Definitely not in my upper tier of preferred books.

However, I saw someone was reading Wicked. I LOVED WICKED!!! Gregory Maguire - what a wicked imagination!!!

preetyladyserenity
06-19-2008, 05:28 PM
Since I am a Literature student currently writing her MA dissertation this what I am reading in the Literary level (I decided to avoid writing down the critical work as well).

A Passage to India - E. M. Foster

Loxandra - Maria Iordannidou (A Greek book never translated to English unfortunately)

And for pleasure (by the way I consider the two above also a pleasurable reading but this is where I block critical analysis for awhile)

The Complete Adventure's of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

EZMONEY
06-19-2008, 10:28 PM
Angie Here-

Just finished Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen - EXCELLENT!!!

I also recently read The Last Promise by Richard Paul Evans--a great chick book written by a man!!