Weight and Resistance Training - Lift and Chat: June 1 - 15, 2008

View Full Version : Lift and Chat: June 1 - 15, 2008

Mel
06-06-2008, 05:13 PM
This feels a little like deja vu all over again :lol:

Due to a server crash, we lost back to May 23. So any missed workouts or food indiscretions...hey...you get a do over! Wouldn't it be nice real life was like that?

Mel

Meg
06-06-2008, 05:47 PM
I'm happy to report that I've eaten nothing but chicken breast, egg whites, and broccoli and run six marathons since then. :lol3:

Mel
06-06-2008, 06:24 PM
And I've progressed to a 400 pound squat....but I'm 3 inches shorter :(

And that's an overhead squat :D

Mel

Meg
06-06-2008, 06:26 PM
If you're three inches shorter, it means you have to weigh less. Nyah nyah. :p

midwife
06-06-2008, 07:05 PM
So then I'm NOT behind on this thread. Or any of the other ones!

Cool.

srmb60
06-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Anything stupid I said is gone!

Yes, I'm now 115 lbs with BF% of 17.

midwife
06-06-2008, 07:16 PM
I had thought I had hit a major plateau, but I guess May 22 I weighed 164. So I have made some progress since then!!!

I'm ok with 1/2 pound per week.

Really. :)

denvertechchick
06-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Hey all,

Wow, now I don't feel so bad for being too busy to post!

I had a seminar in the middle of the week. I hate those - there are horrid food choices everywhere and it's so hard to get a healthy meal.

A big CONGRATS to November on your 50# loss! Great job! :cp:

Just finishing week 3 of a 12 week BFL challenge. Boy I can tell a difference, and people at work are starting to notice. Good. The scale isn't moving much yet, but you sure can tell by looking!

I have a question for you lifting experts. When you lost weight, did you keep increasing weights as you progressed or did you find that it was harder to lift as your body got lighter? It seems easier for me to do certain things (leg press, for one) when I'm heavier than it is when I'm lighter. I'm interested to know what your experiences have been on this.

Off to mow the lawn and get some core work done....

nelie
06-06-2008, 07:26 PM
I just have to say that I was particularly witty and smart the past couple of weeks.

Mel
06-06-2008, 07:31 PM
lol, nelie! I had some amazingly erudite posts also!

Meg
06-06-2008, 08:16 PM
lol, nelie! I had some amazingly erudite posts also!

Erudite posts? Like cut up veggies? Good for looooosing weight! :rofl:

Mel
06-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Today's workout was sweating with the weeds :lol3: I mowed the lawn, trimmed all the shrubs, weeded a bit of the jungle, then scrubbed and bleached half the deck. It was 96 degrees out :sunny: It was a 4 shower day :p

Mel

jamsk8r
06-08-2008, 02:00 AM
Mel, you could make a workout video...you'll be rich! ;) No lifting for me today, but I've started the break-in program for the men's version of NROL this past week. After being off only 2 weeks, it's amazing how those 5 little exercises are kicking my butt!

Yesterday, I shopped at the Wal-marche', got some compression shorts and some regular shorts to go over those. Today, I splurged on an actual gym bag (ooh...ahh!), a lunch cooler to carry my PWO shake in (since I anticipate sitting around waiting for my ds11 to finish up..he just wants to move into the Y), and a shower kit. I feel like I'm gearing up for my first day of school. ;)

I'm actually bordering on size "L" shorts, which is exciting (having been 2X for that past however-many-years). I stuck with the XL shorts this time around, because I was afraid of busting out of the L stuff, but they actually fit (!), and looked fine, just not loose enough to give me confidence doing squats in them, lol.

Lydia, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I'll be joining you soon...my big four-oh will be next June. Hopefully, I'll be on my way to buffness by then! ;)

Midwife, congrats on the weight loss! Mine has slowed way down, but I'm hoping the Y membership will help give me some new ways to keep the fat burning.

midwife
06-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Thanks, Cheryl!

I am sure the scale will respond to your time at the Y. And how awesome that your kid goes with you!

srmb60
06-08-2008, 10:01 AM
I woke up at least three times last night vowing to remember to tell you all that erudite is editor spelled backward. No kidding ... I almost got up at 4:30 to post, it was that important to me.
No more beer with sprouted grains toast for a midnight snack!

Meg
06-08-2008, 10:18 AM
Hahahaha! Susan, you totally crack me up! :lol3:

I'm back from the hot, stinky, sweaty gym (so why do I love it so much?) They opened the doors 10 minutes early -- yay! Did my bike and elliptical and Legs Lite. I already did Legs Heavy this week, so today was high volume, lower weights -- kind of knee rehab stuff. As much one-legged as possible. The problem with a high volume workout is that it takes so darn long! Sets of 50 take five times as long as sets of ten (I can hear a big "duh" from everyone :lol:)

Then I limped through the grocery store donut/cookie/candy gauntlet to pick up some sea bass for dinner. With gas as expensive as it is, I HAVE to get groceries after the gym, regardless of how starving I am. :fr:

Lydia227
06-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Hey Thanks Cheryl. :hug: May you enjoy your big day next year as much as I did mine. :)

It sounds like you had fun purchasing supplies for your gym excursions. It felt a lot like getting ready for school or camp for me too. There was just so much to get :yikes: New gym bag, new water bottle, the zippered shower bag for soaps and cosmetics...I also purchased an extra set of makeup supplies, brushes, combs, hairdryer, and hair products. One of the things that I added to my bag that really helps me stay organized are zippered mesh laundry bags that are meant for fine washables. When I pack my gym bag the mesh bag is used to hold my shower shoes and sponge. When I shower I use the same bag to hold all my sweat stained clothing and shower shoes when I'm done. It makes it easier to unpack quickly when I get home and dump everything into the washing machine.

Susan: Beer and toast as a late night snack. A little dairy might help you sleep better. :devil:

Meg: A lot of my grocery trips are right after my gym workouts too. Post workout is the only time I'm tempted to purchase the kiddy carbs. I'm working around that by having my protein drink already mixed in an insulated mug and waiting for me in the car. I'm not exactly satisfied after drinking it but it does take the edge off and I need a post workout drink anyway. :dunno: Makes the goldfish crackers so much easier to walk away from. :D

No gym workout today but there are rumors of a bike ride and a trip to the pool this afternoon. My garden needs some weeding too but I'm not making it a priority today. Have a great morning everyone. :sunny:

srmb60
06-08-2008, 10:50 AM
And then I proceded to get into the shower with my glasses on ... oi ...

I think I'll get a watermelon on the way home and cut it up fer to be ready when I get home tonight.

Mel
06-08-2008, 08:35 PM
Susan- You OK? Is there a heatwave in Ontario as well?

Today was more sweating in the yard. I missed my legs heavy day yesterday, but was hauling railroad ties and deadlifting rocks today. It was 98 degrees. I wanted to transplant a few shrubs but dh talked me out of doing it- he suspected I was already suffering from heat stroke and the shrubbery wouldn't be far behind. It would be very easy do to a landscaping workout dvd! :lol:

Meg- 50 reps?? Other than lunging around a building (or a track in the winter) I don't think I've ever done more than 20. I have to tell you it sounds mind numbing :p

Lydia- do you feel more mature? :lol3: And who was that birthday present really for? Glad you enjoyed the day :hug:

Denver- I lost most of the weight before I started lifting really heavy, so I'm not the best example to answer your question, but I found that the only time my bodyweight really made a difference was when I was doing out and out power lifting. I was strong when I was five pounds heavier than where I try to maintain, but that probably has more to do with the fact that it was a very small window in the last 7 years when I wasn't consciously restricting calories. At all. I've been stronger at a lighter bodyweight than I am now, but it has a lot more to do with training regimen rather than how much I weigh. I no longer lift as heavy as I possibly can because I have a few chronic injuries. I'd rather lift smarter than heavier at this point.

Cheryl- It sound like your scale weight has stalled a bit for now, but your body is changing. Yay for smaller sizes!

Ugh, I can't believe the Monday rat race is only 9 hours away!

Mel

WaterRat
06-08-2008, 09:46 PM
Well, you gals seem to have all the heat in the country. Never got over 55 here today, and overcast and gray. Boo,hiss!

Lydia - I do the same for the gym. Extra cosmetics, etc., bag for the sweaty clothes so they can go right into the laundry!

Meg - I've been meaning to tell you that you'll be an excellent patient. I know several people who are way more overweight/out-of-shape that you who came through double knee replacements very well. One was a woman in her early 70's, and probably 40-50 lbs too heavy, and totally not into any sort of exercise. But she did do her pre and post exercises, and unless you know, you'd never suspect she had surgery. (Of course, she had to show off her scars to me! :lol: ) She says it's now much easier to run after her pre-school grandchildren.

Okay, I can smell that the salmon is nearly done baking. I'd better get something going to make it a meal.....

Monday is coming waaay too fast!

Lydia227
06-08-2008, 10:00 PM
And then I proceded to get into the shower with my glasses on ... oi ...

OMG. I've done that! :o

It was 98 degrees. I wanted to transplant a few shrubs but dh talked me out of doing it- he suspected I was already suffering from heat stroke and the shrubbery wouldn't be far behind.

Geez, be careful out there Mel. No, the gift really was for me. DS2 can not keep up with his little Like Bike, aka fred flinstone pedaless bike, He was so cute though. He came into the house with both fist scrunched up just dying to tell me all about it after they purchased it. I thought his brother was going to clobber him. :club:

Pat: See now, we know what we're doin. :yes:

My bag is packed and the water and protein drink is in the fridge ready to go. What a relief to have no interruptions to my workout routine for a while. In the afternoon DS1 is having a friend over to play. I've already told him to come up with outdoor ideas because the alternative is helping Mom pull weeds. :devil:

Meg
06-09-2008, 04:43 AM
It's going to be another awful day here and I can't wait to see how hot the gym is this morning. :p Elliptical, bike, and a back workout are on the schedule. I'm thinking pullups, reverse grip lat pulldowns, T bar rows, Hammer Strength low row, cable pullovers, and hyperextensions? :chin:

Mel, no sets of 50?! :fr: One of my trainer's favorite tortures was to have me do four or five sets of squats, then strip the weight off the bar and have me finish with a set of 50. Evil. :devil:

Thanks for your vote of confidence, Pat! I'm trying not to freak myself out about the knees, but of course I keep reading on the Internet (though I refuse to watch a video of the surgery). I ordered a book that got great reviews: Total Knee Replacement and Rehabilitation: The Knee Owner's Manual (http://www.amazon.com/Total-Knee-Replacement-Rehabilitation-Owners/dp/0897934393/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1213000594&sr=8-1) Maybe your library has it? It's supposed to be full of more than 100 pre- and post-surgery exercises and I'll do every one of them. A million times. :lol: I'm just so darned mad for doing this to myself through all my decades of obesity. "Fit but fat" was total BS when I was destroying my knees with every overloaded step that I took. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Trust me, the boxes of Girl Scout cookies and cans of Pringles don't seem very worthwhile now. :tantrum:

So what's everyone else working out today?

Mel
06-09-2008, 07:29 AM
So what's everyone else working out today?

The air conditioners.

It's brutally hot already, which means it will be about 45 degrees in my office. I'm dressed in many layers.

Chest and workout at lunch (how hot can the gym be? :p Cardio done.

Mel

Meg
06-09-2008, 07:59 AM
Chest and workout at lunch (how hot can the gym be? :p

I'm here to tell you -- very, very hot. I was dripping, literally raining sweat all around me. For the first time ever, I'm too hot for coffee. :faint:

midwife
06-09-2008, 09:34 AM
I supposed to go to the gym today but I am sick....since I am not puking or dying though, I think I will try to go anyway. It's just a cold....but I don't want anyone else to get sick, but I leave for Vegas mid week and I want to maximize my workouts before then.

I love the heat....but only dry heat. Is it very humid where you all are?

If anyone will come through knee replacements with flying colors, it will be you, Meg.

It's interesting to ponder my years of obesity. I mean, it is what it is. I regret the damage to my body. I regret all the years of eating junk. But I know that the only reason I am so conscientious now is because of that. I've learned a lot of life lessons through this journey and I am still learning!

I noticed a lump by my kneecap this weekend. I think it is a lipoma. It has defined edges, is mobile, and is nontender (unless I am playing with it!). As my body is shrinking, I have noticed a few lipomas here and there (small lumps of fat). It has occured to me that this will make it easier to do breast self exams now that I am a "normal" weight.

As for the lipoma, I had one of our OB/GYNs check it out this weekend and he agreed with me. But since neither of us are joint people, I'll get a second opinion.

Have a good Monday all!

kaw
06-09-2008, 11:07 AM
Morning, LWL.

Already 96 degrees here, and it's barely 11 am. Extrapolating back 2 hours to when the gym opened, that means it was ... let see, carry the four, divide by 38, um: 14 bazillion degrees with 110% humidity. Or, maybe it just felt that way. Fortunately, it was a shoulder / ab workout today. Not sure I would have survived squats or deads.

Not much else to report. Been doing quite a bit of swimming with The Boy, which isn't actually swimming at all, more like walking around in the pool and dodging splashballs. We're going to Hawaii next Christmas ($$$$$!!!), so the summer project is to get TB swimming ... and me back into swimsuit shape. :lol:!

Best get some work done before the afternoon sun comes around my west-facing office.

Be strong,
Kim

WaterRat
06-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Hmmmp. It was 45 degrees when I left for work this morning. Couldn't we come up with some middle ground that would make us all happy? :lol: It's still overcast and gray, and I suspect the wind will be picking up this weekend as it has every afternoon for the past 5 days of so. We are stuck in this weather pattern....

Lydia/Susan - I too have gotten into the shower with my glasses on, and only Sat I got in with my watch on!

Mel - I hear you on the A/C. We have it at the library, so I have quite a collection of sweaters here, plus i usually wear a blazer/jacket to work. I'm often cold in the winter too. My office actually has no heat - just an air vent, so if I close the door I lose all the heat that comes in from the room outside.

Midwife - I've several lipomas, and have had a couple removed. One was right under my bra strap so very irritating.

Meg - I'll look for that book. Sounds like a good one. I have an ortho appt for Sept (talk about scheduling ahead.... ) so some incentive to keep up the exercises.

Gym plan for after work: 30 min lifting; 30 min cardio - prob elliptical

midwife
06-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Sorry for the weather Pat.

I am happy as a clam. When I walk outside, I feel like just walked into an oven. Pure heaven! My favorite time of year!!!

I always shower with my watch on. It is waterproof. Has to be. One time, DH bought me a watch with a fabric band. It was a nice thought, but totally impractical. I mean, I always wear gloves, but sometimes amniotic fluid does its own thing. Waterproof watches only, thank you very much!

So I stood on the scale today and saw 159. In some respects I am very intellectual about scale weight, but I have to admit, it was an awesome awesome experience. I never really believed it would happen. I thought my body would chill out in the low 160s (which I would have lived with).

On another note, since I have started at my gym, four of my friends have signed up and one more asked me for information today. I guess if I am inspiring people, I need to not actually gain all my weight back. :lol: No pressure or anything!

kaw
06-09-2008, 09:26 PM
Evening, LWL.

It's too hot to sleep, so here I am. Evenings like this make me want to move back to Alaska! The good news is that the weather made it *very* easy to skip the pizza and beer at a friend's going-away party at a no-AC restaurant. I must have had a gallon of water ... and sweated it all out. Eww.

Three cheers to midwife for breaking through the plateau & the 160 mark! Way to go!

Off for another shower. Be strong,
Kim

srmb60
06-10-2008, 06:19 AM
Morning!

I had a less than stellar FBWO yesterday. I just find the heat and humidity strength-sapping. And I agree with Kim, I'm not hungry and that makes a difference too. Blah!

It just started dumping down rain so maybe we'll have some fresher air later this morning.

Mel
06-10-2008, 07:28 AM
Steamy gyms (even though air conditioned) make for sluggish workouts! Because I go back to work after my workout, I can't get drenched. It's hard to do a "sweatless" workout in this weather. Just walking through the parking lot is too much.

Today I usually do legs lite, but I may have to rethink that unless they've really cranked up the A/C today.

Alaska is sounding good right about now, Pat. I'm sure I'd reconsider in January (haha, or even by late October!).

Have a good day, all :sunny:

Mel

Nix143
06-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Hi everyone, don't know if you remember I was asking for some advice as to how to get started - gym or home weights? Well I really can't afford the gym option right now so today I ordered myself some weights and I'm going to see how I go with that for starters. To be honest I have been desperate to start in one way or another and I'm amazed I've lasted this long. Anyway just wanted to say thanks for all the advice and even if I am a teeny weeny tiddler just starting out.......erm, can I come hang out with you guys? I've got a serious attack of the 'wanna be in your gang' itis :D

Lydia227
06-10-2008, 12:46 PM
can I come hang out with you guys? I've got a serious attack of the 'wanna be in your gang' itis :D

:hug: OMG Yes! We love teeny weeny tiddlers. :lol3: Enjoy your new free weights and keep us posted with how you are doing.

We all start somewhere. I was totally humbled yesterday watching this slip of a young woman lift way more than her body weight doing back squats yesterday. She not only had 45 pound plates on each side but I'm almost certain there were also 25's tacked on too. So today was my leg day and with renewed enthusiasm I decided I would add another 10 pounds to my lift. (I had just added another twenty last week) Nope, the knees just weren't really excited about doing that. :rolleyes: Vain enough to want to try, but smart enough to know better. :rofl:

WaterRat
06-10-2008, 12:53 PM
So Kim, come on back! And you too Mel. It was 47 this morning. :rofl: We actually saw some :sunny: and 65 yesterday afternoon.

I'm feeling very sluggish. Don't know if I'm getting a cold or what. Something's going on, but until I have more definite symptoms, I'm pushing through....

:welcome: Nix 143.

Mel
06-10-2008, 06:07 PM
Welcome back, Nix :wel3fc: Of course you can hang with us!

Vain enough to want to try, but smart enough to know better.

Ah. Lydia...very wise of you. I wish I had learned that lesson long before I did.

I don't know why, but hack squats are really hard for me. I can do about double my body weight for a good old fashioned squat, but stick much weight on the hack squat machine and I turn into a wimp. Nowhere near 45's! I've had to wriggle out of the machine at that weight. Very embarrassing :o

I did manage legs lite today, or legs quick (I'd say short, but too many people would snicker) to be more precise. There wasn't much imagination in my workout, but there was a lot of weight!

Food on track.....

Mel

Meg
06-10-2008, 06:42 PM
Hack squats are the exercise I can proportionally do the most weight on. :shrug: I think it's because I have a big butt. :lol:

Today was just cardio and abs, but I managed to sweat enough to short out my headphones. :hot:

Mel
06-11-2008, 07:31 AM
I managed to sweat enough to short out my headphones

Zing! Hope you didn't fry your brain in the process :lol3:

Lots of storms here last night, but the trees all stayed upright in my yard. The power went out once, but quickly back on. The night's real excitement started just after dh and I had fallen into bed. My son came pounding into our room screeching (he has strep throat) that his toilet was overflowing all over his bathroom. Almost 18 and he can't figure out how to turn off the water!!!! We spent the next half hour mopping, and putting buckets in the foyer UNDER his bathroom. Sigh...another major project. We'll have to rip out a lot of the ceiling, re-drywall and spackle, paint, etc. What run.

This morning I woke up and the bloat was gone. Yahoo!

Cardio done, shoulders at lunch and hopefully the gym will be less steamy.

Have a good one,
Mel

kaw
06-11-2008, 08:16 AM
Mel. Uggh, what a way to wake up. If it's any consolation, my FIL still can't quite figure out how to turn off the water to the toilet either, and he's 60-something!

I'm so happy the weather broke. We were under a tornado warning for a while -- which never happens around here -- but didn't even wind up with enough rain to say so. So, I still have to water before heading to the gym here in a minute or two. But, at least the gym will only be in the 70s today!

I lost 1.5 pounds this morning by stepping off and on the scale. Who knew that the scale dance was the secret to weight loss? :)

Be strong,
Kim

sportmom
06-11-2008, 09:24 AM
Hi guys, I am back and am a new woman! I got my stent out last Friday and still had some issues from that until about 24 hrs after on Saturday - bleeding, soreness. But luckily, most of that has passed and I'm just patiently waiting for my swelling to subside so that I'll officially be back to operating speed! I go back in 4 wks for a renal u/s, so I imagine that's how long they're estimating it will take. I'm drinking 132 oz of water a day and now that the stent is out, and I'm not even having to run to the bathroom every hour. I know they say your body eventually adjusts to drinking alot of water and I guess the stent was just like marathon training to that end.

I'm still not convinced the heat wave is over after last nite's storm. Was still awfully humid and gnat-ty at the bus stop this morning; hoping some mid-morning breezes blow it to kick the rest of the humidity out of here.

DD2 "graduated" from KG yesterday. School runs thru Friday, but they had their little singalong and ceremony yesterday. Nice time.

jamsk8r
06-11-2008, 12:55 PM
Mel, sorry to hear about the water damage. :(

Sportmom, the K graduations are so cute..hope you got some good pics! Good luck with your recovery.

Nix, welcome! I'm sure you'll enjoy the lifting! I'm still new at this myself.

I made it to the Y yesterday. Ran 2 miles, then did 15 mins with intervals on the elliptical. Not a very exciting machine (to me), but the intervals help pass the time, and it seems like a good workout. Even though it wasn't a lifting day for me, I took along a PWO shake in a lunch box, just to see if it would survive. It stayed cold and fresh, so I'll be able to have my shake right after lifting. (that will keep me away from the vending machines, thankfully!)

Today, I'm going to try and get an equipment orientation for the free weight room and freemotion equipment, since I have no idea what a lot of that stuff is supposed to be good for. Even if I can't get that today, though, I'm determined to brave the free weight room and get my workout in. I'm going to do the NROL program for a while and see what kind of results I can get.

Lydia227
06-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Even if I can't get that today, though, I'm determined to brave the free weight room and get my workout in.

I can't wait to hear how it turned out. Good for you! :D You are so much braver than I was. :hug:

Mel: ~sigh~ Just add it to the to do list right? Not a great experience to have running through your head just before bedtime I'm sure. Oh hey, thanks again for helping with the t-pushups when you were in town. I was busy plowing through the last set of them with the little 5lb dumbells in hand and I looked up and saw a friend who I haven't seen in months standing there in awe. I told her it was much easier than it looks and not to be too impressed. She doubted me and so I insisted upon sharing the "joy" She got down and did three of her own. She did them correctly and I think she surprised herself. She invited me to join her cycling group on Thursday evenings. I can't wait!

Kaw: Oh I know all about the scale dance. Actually, in my bathroom it's the magic tiles. If I set the scale just right on the tiles I can usually get a pound or pound and half less reading on the second try. I count on it some days. :lol: Kim, I love that you sign your message with Be Strong. Have you seen this?

http://www.activasports.com/act/products/BEO100/

I think I'm going to order this or maybe one of the other ones. Although, :chin: I wonder how many people would laugh me out of the gym as I walked out of the locker room with it on. :o

Okay, if that one doesn't get me some snickers then I'm certain this one would. :devil:

http://www.activasports.com/act/products/BYA102/

Maybe I'd wear it just to the grocery. :D

FRAN! I'm so GLAD to know that you are on the other side of this experience now! :hug: Here's to a speedy four weeks of recovery. Soak up some sun and enjoy those daughters as you heal. Is DD2 excited about beginning first grade this coming fall? My DS2 doesn't begin K until next fall. However this is DS1's last year at his elementary school. Gosh it just seems like a few months ago he was the young K. Darn it goes fast. :dizzy:

Pat: Well, did the flu/cold bug settle in? Hopefully your feeling more energized today. You just have way to much to do to be feeling sluggish. ;)

Okay. Had a good 45 minute cardio on the elliptical. DS1 joined me for the last 15 minutes. It's so fun to have him with me during these sessions. Really. :yes: He doesn't shadow me during the lifting part but he is curious. I'm just not really ready for that yet. Besides, he's only nine. :) I finished up with back, chest, some tri and core work. Not overly spent but nicely humming. :goodvibes:

WaterRat
06-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Cheryl, I find the elliptical the least offensive of cardio machines! Not that it's great.... Intervals certainly do help the time pass, as does really upbeat music. :)

Lydia - yes, some better. It hasn't become anything else - yet - though my eyes are still burning, which is often how my colds start. Getting some better sleep would help, I'm sure. I'm stressing a lot over an employee situation which comes out when I'm trying to sleep. grrrr.

Fran - SOOOOO glad things are better with you.

Mel - yikes! Water is the worst. When we lived in an apartment in Seattle, the family upstairs overflowed their bathtub and we had a huge mess in our bathroom. Fortunately we had 2 and even more fortunately, it was not our fault and the apt maintainence took care of the mess. Sounds like your son needs some "life skills" lessons. My DH is big on this and I have too often found myself on the receiving end. Hmmm, maybe he needs some, like "how to load the dishwasher!" :rofl:

4rabbit
06-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Hi LWL,

Not related to lifting but I"m so excited I just have to share this.:bunny2::bunny2:..I just ordered some new fixings for my bathroom on the internet and this will be my summer project! I'm putting in a new wahbasin & toilet and ordered those. i still have to choose shower stuff and a faucet, but I'll do that when I have a better idea about the layout of the drains.

And I plan to look at floortiles tomorrow or friday.

And I also dutifully did a NRWL session this morning, biked to work monday & yesterday and went to power class monday. I'm still hanging onto the "one more good choice per day plan", no scale changes yet sofar. But I notice I am more conscious of food choices, and I definitely noticed I have sugar cravings when I am very tired.

Kim - I have a magic bathroom tile too

Lydia the idea of a 9 year old shadowing your lifting moves makes me laugh.

Fran - glad your stone episode is over

Mel - I hope your mess is Ok now,

Have a great day all,
rabbit:bunny2:

Mel
06-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Rabbit- I'd love to redo my bathroom! Make sure you teach your kids how to turn off a toilet! ;)

Pat- Hope you get some sleep. Ds says he knooooows how to do it, just panicked. Not a good answer when he expects me to hand him car keys :dizzy:

Lydia- Glad to help and glad you passed it on :) Are you going to join the cycling group? That sounds fun. BTW, where did you get that wonderful lavender body shampoo? I love it! And I've used a lot already.

Kim- I have a magic tile, a scale dance, and a directions of the compass routine. Sometimes it's good for two pounds. The really depressing times are when the first reading is the lowest :rofl:

Fran- Welcome back! I'm so glad you feel better:hug::hug::hug:

Good workout today. Shoulders from every angle and some core work.

jamsk8r
06-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Well, I did it...my first lifting workout in the free weight room at the Y. Phew! I was very nervous, so I started with some smaller exercises that I felt more confident with. After that SS, I was feeling braver, so I went over and did deadlifts with an actual barbell for the first time ever. (much easier than DBs!) I'm pretty sure my form was crappy on the bottom, because I'm not quite flexible enough yet. I'll keep practicing, though. I signed up for an equipment orientation with the Y, for Monday. They said it normally does not cover the free weight room, but the gal said she would do it, since I asked. I guess I was the first one to ever ask for that...how special do I feel now? ;)

Lydia227
06-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Cheryl: :yay: :dance: :yay:

I'm not even going to tell you how long it took me to pick up my first barbell. :o You go girl. :high: (Or am I dating my self by saying that. :D)

Mel: I buy this shower gel from Whole Foods. If anyone is interested this is the stuff that Mel is referring to in her post.

http://www.eoproducts.com/

I discovered this product line during a business trip to Boston with DH four years ago. We stayed at the Charles Hotel on Harvard Square. After a frigid day of exploring the streets, I took the hottest bath imaginable with the bath bubbles and slept in an incredible deep featherbed. At the time my youngest was less than a year old. Just the opportunity to sleep in without interruption was sheer bliss. :cool:

Rabbit: Please Please Please come and remodel my bathroom when you are finished with yours. Seriously, you have so many wonderful remodeling projects under your belt. How did you learn how to do these things? I'm a really good wall painter and that's it. If I learned how to use anything with an electrical cord it would be all over. DH would come home from a business trip and not recognize the house when he pulled into the driveway. :devil: :lol3: ...not that I think he would mind...:chin:...one less thing for him to do.

Depalma
06-12-2008, 12:32 AM
I'm pretty sure my form was crappy on the bottom, because I'm not quite flexible enough yet. I'll keep practicing, though.

Develop the hip mobility first, then resume practicing. Practing now without the proper flexibility will only groove improper movement patterns meaning that you will need to unlearn improper form before learning proper form later. And that is actually a best case scenario. Worst case scenarion your form causes an injury. Better to start with rack pulls and perfect your form on that part of the deadlift while you work on your mobility and flexibility and then work your way down to pulling from the floor. I had the same issues when I started out and my trainer started me on rack pulls.

The Rack Pull will give you most of the benefits of the deadlift (and actually allow you to use a heavier load although don't worry so much about load right now as nailing down that form).

Here is an excellent blog post by Mehdi over at Stronglifts on how to perform rack pulls.

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-perform-rack-pulls-technique/

You may want to click on some of the links imbedded in his article, especially the one on hip mobility for drills that will help you gain the needed mobility to progress to conventional deadlifts.

I believe Alwyn uses them in NROL and/or NROL4W at some point, so you will want to become accustomed to them anyway.

WaterRat
06-12-2008, 01:45 AM
Egads. I visited with a 78 year old friend of mine tonight who is 3 weeks post-knee replacement (only one though). She's doing great. She is using a cane as needed, which she says is mostly on uneven ground - which we certainly have a lot of around here. :lol: I'm very impressed with how well she's doing. Her doctor had her walking as soon as she was alert enough (i.e. after all the anesthesia was out of her system) and she's been having physical therapy for about 10 days.

You guys are the best for things to do - and not to do - in the WL world. I'm still trying to convince my DH he needs to do something with UB for his upcoming canoe trip (end of August). The last time he did one he spent a lot of time on a rowing machine. I'm thinking there are things in the WL arena which are not nearly as boring as a rowing machine. :) Though he did get a cardio workout at the same time.

Cheryl - great job getting into the free weight area. And for getting it included in your free session.

Nix143
06-12-2008, 11:16 AM
Hi guys, thanks for the lovely welcome. Just got back into the office after visiting a client and wooooot! My weights have arrived! How excited am I???? :carrot: Now, if one of you could just give me a hand lifting them into the car everything would be sorted :). I had to order NROLFW from Amazon US as Amazon UK didn't stock it - so did that and am waiting for it to be delivered. But then I went onto the BFL website for the first time. Oh. My. Word. Seriously? 12 weeks and people look like that??? I was completely blown away. But also incredibly excited by it.

Hope you're all having a lovely day xx

jamsk8r
06-12-2008, 01:05 PM
Thanks, all, for the encouragement!

Depalma, I was only pulling with the bar and some 5 kg bumpers yesterday, for trying out the floor pull. At home, I've only got DBs, but was doing a sort of rack pull with those set up on boxes. I just wanted to try it out with the barbell and Oly plates yesterday, to see if I could get down there yet without losing it in my lower back (not, obviously!). I'll take your advice and stick to rack pulls for weighted stuff and come back to it later. I'll check out those exercises you recommended, too, when I've got more time. Thanks for the link to the video. I saved that one so I can take a closer look. Right now, I've got to get out the door...going to my sisters to have some fitness bonding, walking or jogging, whichever she wants to do.

denvertechchick
06-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Hey all!

Another question for the wise ones....

I have been doing leg presses on the machine, but I'd like to start doing squats with a bar. I have done wall ball squats with weight before without any problems. On the leg press machine, I press 250#. Calf press machine I do 190#. I weigh 245 pounds.

I know that I can squat more than 5 pounds! Is there a formula for converting? The bar I had before with the wall ball stuff was 24 pounds. It would be nice to know some kind of starting point to avoid running the rack up and hogging the squat cage.

TIA!

nelie
06-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Denver - They are totally different exercises so there is no conversion. Honestly, I'd just start with a bar. When I first started doing regular squats, I needed to practice with a bar although I could leg press quite a bit of weight.

4rabbit
06-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Lydia - I did not know all this when I started my projects. But labor is so expensive here, and so hard to get, and I am so sick and tired of having workers perform a job that is NOT as I ordered, that I have decided that if I want a good job, I had better do it myself.

Worst case what happens would be that I end up with a bad job. No big deal, because IMO the alternative would have been to end with a bad job AND face the aggravation of handling the workman AND paying a lot of money for the privilege. I typically have to work 2 or 3 hours in order to afford 1 hour of hired help. it is a tax thing.

The secret is just to start. What tool with a power cord do you covet? When XH went out someone asked me "what is it that you cannot do yourself and have to solve?" And the answer for me was read maps and drill holes in the wall. Within 2 weeks I had bought a tomtom gps for my car, and a deluxe electric drill with drill bits. issue solved. If you drill a wrong hole, you can always fill it in with quick drying cement.

So...for your next birthday, christmas, mothersday, or just because it is a wednesday, or full moon, or not full moon...go out to the hardwarestore anf buy your tool of choice with power cord. The next step is just to do it.
Just like exercise in fact. And another thing...like exercise, the more you do DIY and see results, the more you like doing it!

Long answer to a short question...

In fact, I have just bought a self levelling laser spirit level for my tiling project, and treated myself to a router table because next sunday is fathers day.

Have a great day all,
Rabbit

Lydia227
06-12-2008, 03:07 PM
Oh Rabbit! I have no idea what that even is? A leveling what? Very wise advice too. :hug: Fortunately, I only need to go no further than the garage to get the hook up. The problem with the garage is, well... DH set that area up when we moved in ten years ago and most of the stuff was just jammed in the cabinets and not seen again. Everytime I go rooting through there I think about how I could better organize this if I took the time and then my head starts to spin out of control.

Hmmm. Maybe I should just pick a project. :chin: How long do you think it would take to build my own kitchen cabinets. Or maybe that it too ambitious of a project for a first time DYI. :lol3: Ahhh, but the tile floors I could get up and lay hardwood.... Okay, see, Now I'm thinking about what color to paint the garage walls and floor. Grrrr. :lol:

Whew, spent all of the morning and early afternoon weeding the flowerbeds and discovering my vegetable garden all over again. Watered the flowers, stained the patio furniture, and will powerwash the concrete on Saturday. This evening I go for my introductory two hour ride with some new friends. Maybe I should have a tall glass of water and a nap before I head out there again. :faint:

4rabbit
06-13-2008, 05:24 AM
Lydia,

Kitchen cabinets ??? I have on word for you...IKEA!!! All their stuff comes with good instructions on how to assemble. They also have a nice selection of laminate flooring, not as nice as hardwood but it looks quite like it, is very easy to install, and extremely easy to care for as well! And you might be able to put it over your old tiles with a thin foam liner below.

In re power tools: A lot of them are not easy to use because they are to big and too heavvy. (skip that, for you it would not be to heavvy of course). For me size is an issue, I am 5 foot 2 inches, and I have size 3.5 in shoes and gloves.

Go look at home depot and at ikea ...there is probabely loads of inspiration to be found!

I hope you had a great bike ride,

Rabbit (happily planning home renovation on my day off :bunny2:)

kaw
06-13-2008, 06:50 AM
Morning, all!

Got our first CSA box of the season last night, so I'm sitting here this morning with the season's first local strawberries in my cottage cheese. Dinner last night included a mixed green salad with fresh radishes and mild white turnips. Nummers!

Hope to make it to the gym today, but it's The Boy's end-of-the-year field trip and an early dinner date. Between that, the gym is closed. (Boo hiss for summer hours!) Maybe I'll attack some weeds instead. Plenty of those to keep my hamstrings occupied.
Lydia -- I like the "be.strong" shirt, but baggy white t-shirts always remind me of sleepwear (and for $32?). I think you should go for "supergirl", though. (The "no maintenance" one works for me, but it would just set me up for jokes when I show up at the store, sleep-bedraggled, hair mussed, no makeup, etc etc.)

Rabbit: way to go! I've done quite a few home repairs and minor remodeling projects, but I haven't tackled tiles yet. I need to, though -- some of our bathroom tiles are loosening, and I don't much care for the 1980s color scheme we inherited from three owners ago.

Be strong,
Kim

Mel
06-13-2008, 07:39 AM
Morning! I've tackled tiles; the hardest part is laying cement board and fixing it with screws no more than 2" apart onto the sub-flooring. You don't want ANY flex or the tile and grout will crack. Wall tiles are a lot easier because theoretically no one will be walking on them :rofl:

Lydia- Go cordless! Surprise dh with a new set of Dewalt or Makita cordless tools. Much easier!

Today is my last day of work for 10 days!!!! Next week I'm going to a conference at Bucknell University to learn about Trust Administration (snooze) then to Columbus for 3 days to help my daughter move. Not a lot of fun a games either place, but a change of scenery will be nice. I'm not at all sure of the gym or food situation...that may be a bit dicey.

Core and balance work today at lunch- I'm trying a new exercise I saw on a video with 2 stability balls called a Chinese dumpling! I may be dumpling myself on the floor.

Have a good one!

Mel

Meg
06-13-2008, 08:08 AM
Today is my last day of work for 10 days!!!! Next week I'm going to a conference at Bucknell University to learn about Trust Administration (snooze) then to Columbus for 3 days to help my daughter move. Not a lot of fun a games either place, but a change of scenery will be nice. I'm not at all sure of the gym or food situation...that may be a bit dicey.

I hear there's a gym and clean food in Pittsburgh. ;)

Back from the gym ... got my hour of cardio in and 18 sets of arms, so may I have breakfast now? :) The weight room was 10 degrees cooler than the cardio room, which only seems right since it's a much cooler place to be. :carrot:

WaterRat
06-13-2008, 01:14 PM
Morning all! Rabbit and Lydia, love all this DIY talk. :)

Kim, we stopped our CSA box for the summer, and well, because on or the other of us is gone enough so that the other can't possibly eat all that produce before it spoils. I will rub it in though that DH is leaving Sunday to go dipnetting at Chitna! :D Fresh salmon here we come.....

Yesterday was a disaster workwise (3 meetings that added up to all day, plus another in the evening), and foodwise. But I'm moving on. Today will be good. The library is closed, so my office is quiet. None of my PT employees are working, and one of the FT people is off too. The reason we're closed is that it's the weekend of the City's Colony Days festival, and there's a carnival, complete with all kinds of rides, in my parking lot! The weather today is perfect, so :crossed: that it stays that way for the weekend. It's a realllly big deal here.

So here's what it looks like in Southcentral Alaska today:
http://webcam on carnival (http://64.4.231.233/jpg/image.jpg)

Lydia227
06-13-2008, 03:53 PM
Oh WOW! Look at those mountains and trees. Pat whenever I wonder how you or anyone for that matter could possibly stand living in such a cold climate I'll just remember this snapshot of your parking lot. You must have a beautiful drive to work everyday. I'm glad the weather was perfect for your community's celebration.

Mel: Cordless sounds like a great idea. I also think that Rabbit has a point about weight and size of the equipment. Good things to think about. Mel, there is a gym here too so no worries about your trip. Although, I got to think that moving DD into a new place will give you plenty of opportunity for heavy lifting.

Kaw: I came so close to ordering the be.strong shirt. But after shipping and tax it was over $40. :dizzy: I really don't have a need for another t-shirt that badly either.

Unfortunately I did not get to ride last night. Just as I was packing up to go the sky tore open and it poured rain for the rest of the evening. It's okay though, she called and said we would start next week instead. Our goal is to get a group of us going every week. Should be fun.

No gym today. DS2 woke up at 3:00am this morning not feeling well. I did catch up on some more things at home but looking forward to tomorrow. I know I've said this before but it is so hard for me to keep my eating in check when I'm here all day with the kids. Head games maybe :dunno: Anyway, no real damage done. I'll take some time for myself this evening and plan great for next week.

Hello to everyone else. :wave: Have a great Friday everyone.

Mel
06-13-2008, 05:54 PM
Lyda and Meg, thanks! DD and I have been doing a lot of deadlifts to get ready for the move. This is the first time since she was 16 that she is boyfriend-less. Figures!

My boss is teaching at the conference at Bucknell. He tells me that he's heard they have a great gym, not that he's ever seen the inside :rofl: I offered to train him if he'll go easy on my aged brain. The food worries me more.

Today I did a whole 20 minutes on the exercise bike. Abs and goofy balance exercises at lunch.

Lydia- DD sent me pictures of one of her friends (not one of the smarter ones) being rescued out of his car that were on the 11 o'clock news. The water was up to the windows. Be careful out there!

Denverchick- So how much can you squat? :)

Mel

kaw
06-14-2008, 06:24 AM
Morning, LWL! I'm up with the birds this morning to get some "me" time, and I thought I'd spend some of it with you. :) DH, The Boy, and I are going on a field trip today with a geologist from one of the local museums to hunt for fossils. There are a lot of fossils around here, but these are evidently extra special fossils, because they're an hour and a half away. (Well, I assume there's something else about them, besides their distance, that makes them special.:) )

Made it to the gym after all yesterday. Wasn't my best day, liftwise, because it was Too Hot, but I'm still glad I went.

Pat -- I'm sooo jealous! We used to do a Chitina fishing run every year. Of course, back then I didn't know how special it was, and groaned endlessly about the drive, the sand, the wind, the mosquitos, the cramped and usually damp tent ... and the prospects of eating all that salmon. (It's a miracle my parents didn't just leave me there!) Now, some twenty ahem years later, I stand at the fish aisle and groan (silently) at the outrageous cost of tasteless, color-enhanced salmon!

Be strong,
Kim

jamsk8r
06-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Let me just say *#@%*!! I cut my index finger deep and right across the knuckle. I'll be off any kind of exercise for a few days, till I'm sure it's closed up for good. Frustrating, since I just got going again, after having to take off for my knee. DS and I had a good laugh, though, trying to imagine me doing squats with just one hand gripping the bar...swing,,,crash...lol.

Depalma
06-14-2008, 02:42 PM
DS and I had a good laugh, though, trying to imagine me doing squats with just one hand gripping the bar...swing,,,crash...lol.

There's always Zercher Squats. No hands gripping the bar.
One arm overhead dumbell squats
Unweighted single-leg squats

There's ALWAYS a way to squat!:D:D:D

Doesn't mean you always have to though. Hope you feel better soon. Heal up then get back to it.

Depalma
06-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Morning all! Rabbit and Lydia, love all this DIY talk. :)
[/URL]

Not me! DIY Phobia here!

This did inspire me to wear my Homer Simpson DDIY (DON'T Do It Yourself) T-shirt to the gym today.

Lydia227
06-15-2008, 08:03 AM
Cheryl that sounds yucky. No stitches though right?

Yesterday was an excellent workout. 45 minutes of cardio, 45 minutes of lifting, ten more minutes of cardio followed by 15 minutes of core and stretching. I was without my sons so I could spend all the time I wanted getting it all in. :goodvibes: I showered, had the protein drink in my car and then went shopping. I returned one swimsuit, the quest continues, but found two activewear skorts and two pairs of sandles. AND everything was on sale. Later in the afternoon we took the boys to see Kung Fu Panda :s: I know but I was able to rest for a while in the dark before dinner. Here's something I've discovered, four year olds have bottomless tummies when it comes to ice cream. Really, he ate all four scoops by himself. DS1 had the good sense to stop less than halfway through. I'm going to have to watch that little guy. He's a beast. Or, sit next to the older one if I am anticipating any leftovers. :D