Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2002, 02:48 PM   #1  

Question Help need recipes without wheat or corn

Hi everyone, I am looking for recipes that do not have wheat or corn in them. I am highly reactive to both and have banned most breads, muffin, cakes from my diet. Can anybody help. Thanks
Old 03-13-2002, 12:10 AM   #2  

Hi Shadow,

Try this website www.recipesource.com

Hope this is of some help.

Cherub
Old 03-17-2002, 08:55 AM   #3  

My husband was recently diagnosed with celiac (gluton allergy). I have found that The Gluton Free Pantry has bread, muffin and cookie mixes which seem to make a suitable substitute.
The bread is better made in a bread machine (which I borrowed). I then cool and slice the bread, freezing it in individual slices. I also make it into rolls.
I used the cake and muffin mix to make peach muffins. I used canned peaches, liquid and all. I used the chocolate cookie mix but took out the chocolate chips and used carob chips.

There is also a pancake and waffle mix. I made the whole bag and froze in individual portions. My kids like to throw a frozen pancake or waffle into their lunch bags to nibble on later.

A great cookbook which I borrowed is THE GLUTON FREE GOURMET COOKS FAsT AND HEALTHY by Bette Hagman. I am attempting bagels form this cookbook today.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-27-2002, 11:50 PM   #4  

I also have Celiac disorder, I'm lucky and do not seem to react to corn. I have also found Gluten Free Pantry helpful. Also Miss Robens, she seems to have alot of corn free products. Also The Really Great Foods Company that is based in New York. I have had to experiment so I could reduce the fat in these products, which is the one drawback of being on special foods. Usually I reduce by 1/2 then substitute with either applesauce or mashed potatoes or something. I know after my diagnosis 7 years ago I was angry, and I stayed on the food long enough to get my symptoms under control, then went back to the other stuff. I'd get really sick and then have to revert again, one day it dawned on me I was hurting myself, and compromising my health, so my advice is to adhere to the diet restrictions, it's worth it in the end. All of the companies I mentioned do have websites, hope this helps. Judy
Closed Thread