Old 05-21-2008, 02:26 PM   #1  

Default Can eating too few calories cause weight gain?

Hello Everyone!

I'm hoping someone can offer some advice because I'm pretty close to my wit's end. I've been desperately trying to lose 30 pounds for the last 6 months, but have had no success. In fact, the only thing I've managed to accomplish is gaining about 5 pounds. I have no idea how to break out of this rut and I'm hoping someone else has gone through the same thing and has successfully gotten out. Ok, here's my story (sorry for the long post)...

I am a diligent calorie counter and I have the whole "calories in v. calories out" mantra tattooed in my brain. As of January, my calorie intake was about 1250 calories/day and I was working out for approx 1 1/2 hours about 5 days a week. At that level, I was maintaining my weight which totally goes against the mantra. After a frustrating month of not losing anything, I decided to: 1) have my RMR tested, 2) consult a nutritionist, and 3) hire a personal trainer. The test indicated that my RMR was approx 1400 so the nutritionist suggested I up my intake to at least 1350, which I did. I also started exercising with the trainer one day a week, which increased my total workouts to 6 days a week. At that level, I also maintained. After about another month, the nutritionist suggested I increase my calories to 1500. When I did, I started to gain weight. I stuck with the 1500 calorie intake for a while thinking that my body needed to adjust, but I just kept gaining weight. After gaining 5 pounds, I got frustrated and dropped my calorie intake between 1000-1250. At this level, I've just been maintaining.

At this calorie level, I'm pretty sure my body is in starvation mode. I know that I should be eating more calories than I currently am based on my daily calorie expenditure, but how can increase my calories without gaining weight?

I have absolutely no clue how to get out of this rut. I know that what I'm doing can't possibly be healthy, but I can't seem to get out of this vicious cycle. Can anyone offer any help before I throw myself off a cliff?
Onsecondthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 248/230/160

Height: 5'9"

How frustrating! It's like you do everything you can and you still are not seeing success on the scale. I have heard that extremely low calories can cause your metabolism to slow down, but I don't know for sure. Of course it is always best to eat as healthy as possible, but you are seeing a nutritionist and a personal trainer. 1st have you taken your measurements? I started a weight lifting regime about a month an a half ago and GAINED 8 lbs, that I am starting to lose now, BUT when I measured myself I found I had gone down considerably in inches and then when I weighed myself on the fancy scale at the doctors I found that weight gain was muscle and mostly water and I had actually lost fat. Have you gone to a doctor and told him or her about your weight loss plan? Your doctor can give you a blood test to test for hypothyroid and can see what it is specifically that is causing you to not lose weight...if that is the case. Hang in there, you will find whats' right for you and you won't be searching for cliffs to jump off!
Sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 225/212/185

Height: 5'8"

I've been there. However, my plateau was never that severe. I would suggest maybe getting even more panels drawn. After your thyroid has been checked, you may also want to have your estrogen, testosterone and adrenal glands checked as well. I've had patients that have the same problem, and there is usually something medical behind it.

Good luck!
VanillaBean82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:30 PM   #4  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

I agree, go to the DR and explain what your doing and why and ask what he/she can do to help you. I know I have thyroid issues and when I first discovered this, I was gaining like 5lbs per month on literally 1200 calories per day! The DR couldnt believe it until he ran my thyroid panel!
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:44 PM   #5  

Therein lies part of my frustration...Over the last 6 months, I've been to 3 doctors, 2 personal trainers, a nutritionist, and an acupuncturist and they've all looked at me and shrugged their shoulders. They've all told me that, based on what I'm eating and how much I'm working out, I should be losing weight (cause I didn't already know that). They have no idea why I'm not losing and they just tell me to give it time. When I first started having this trouble I went to my doctor and told him all my issues. He ran the typical thyroid test and told me everything was fine. Then, like everyone else, he shrugged his shoulders and scooted me out the door. Out of everyone that I've consulted, no one has been able to give me any guidance or advise. Quite frankly, I'm just about had enough of eating less and working out more than everyone else and still gaining weight while they're dropping pounds like there is no tomorrow. I might as well give up and dive into a pint of Ben n' Jerry's because either way I'll still be gaining weight. At least with BJ, I'll be happy.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:56 PM   #6  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

It might not be that you are eating to much or not enough. It might be you aren't eating the right things. Try eating the required amounts of the four basic food groups for a couple of months. Maybe stay between 1200 and 1400calories. Sometimes it is what we eat that is causing the problems. How much fat are you taking in? How many carbs? Staying within a good range of calories isn't aways enough. If we have to little or to much fat or to little or to many carbs the body can become very confused.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:56 PM   #7  
ZeusMeatball

S/C/G: 534/309/275

Height: 6'4''

May I ask what you weigh, and can we see a couple examples of a days intake? lets say the last 3 days intake. are you measuring the portions or just eye balling it? getting enough fluids? using the rest room regularly? etc etc.

As Ever
Me
Botzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:27 PM   #8  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

SHy and BOTzz, good points!
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:43 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 285/283/???

Height: 5'5"

I had something similiar happen to me and found out that I had insulin resistance. Low carbing it is supposed to be the best thing for me as well as mucho aerobic exercise. How are your insulin levels? I'm not diabetic because my glucose and sugar levels are fine, just the insulin. I've read that fatty livers also make it harder for a person to lose weight. It can be caused by a lot of different things. Meds also can cause you to hold onto weight; steroids, anti inflamitories and antibiotics. Good luck...
cathexis2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:52 PM   #10  

when i went to the nutritionist she said i was pretty much on point. she said that there isn't a thing she would change about my diet. my diet is roughly 30% protein, 45% carbs, 25% fat and the fat is mostly mono- and poly-. I meticulously measure everything almost to the point of compulsion and I drink about a gallon+ of water a day. I eat about 6 or 7 small meals a day depending on the calorie apportionment. A typical day looks like this:
When I wake up: I immediately eat 2 egg whites and coffee
Breakfast: Either Kashi cereal with almond milk, oatmeal with fruit and 1 tbsp almonds, whole grain waffles, or low-fat muffin from whole foods
Mid-morning snack: 1/2 cup cottage cheese, fruit, 1 tbsp almonds, 2 egg whites, and coffee
Lunch: Small salad, fat free dressing, 2 cups steamed veggies, and a lean cuisine/healthy choice frozen meal (the meal is usually under 300 calories)
Snack: 1 1/2 cups fruit
Snack (sometimes): Granola bar, protein bar, more fruit, or yogurt and 1 tbsp almond
Dinner: 2 cups steamed veggies, egg whites, and sometimes a soy burger

I have tried fiddling around with my diet but it hasn't helped. I'm not sure what I should/shouldn't be eating. I also take several vitamins daily: a multi, calcium, fish oil supplement, and a B complex.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:27 PM   #11  
Rennie

How about maybe more dairy and maybe a bit more from the bread/cereal groups. Do you know how much sodium you are taking in. I am allowed between 2400 and 3300 but if I average over 2600 I find I don't take weight off and am all puffy. Percentages can be different for everyone. Numbers are a real hard to thing to talk about because they are so different for each person.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:40 PM   #12  
Rennie

How about maybe more dairy and maybe a bit more from the bread/cereal groups. Do you know how much sodium you are taking in? I am allowed between 2400 and 3300 but if I average over 2600 I find I don't take weight off and am all puffy.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:03 PM   #13  

The diet that I'm currently eating (as posted above) I have been doing since January on the recommendation of my trainer that I eat more protein. Prior to that I was eating more carbs and less protein and fat: 65%, 20%, 15%, respectively. I feel I have more energy and crave sugar less now that I'm eating more protein so I'm reluctant to change it. I also try to watch my dairy intake as it sometimes does a number on my stomach. As for my sodium, it's about 3000mg. I've never really been too concerned with that before because I have low blood pressure and I sweat most of it out anyway. Should I be? As for insulin resistance, I'm not sure. I've never been tested.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:32 PM   #14  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

The only thing that jumped out at me was that there are a lot of carbs. You could try dropping carbs to 40%. I wouldn't drop your calories too low while you are working out so vigorously. But I don't know why you are not losing weight, given what you've told us.

Also, what do you weigh?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:54 AM   #15  
Proud mama to Baby Bree!

S/C/G: 142/142/130

Height: 5' 4"

The only thing that struck me was your comment about dairy doing a number on your stomach sometimes. I have a girlfriend who was in a similar situation and on a gut feel, cut back her dairy intake. She suspected she was allergic to it and it turned out she was right. She now closely monitors how much dairy she eats and goes more for soy milk, etc. Her skin has cleared up (she had bad acne prior to this) and her weight has returned to a healthier level. Granted, I wouldn't recommend you doing that without the advice of a doctor but sometimes, its the little things like that you don't think of till someone mentions it.
thebeautywithin is offline   Reply With Quote