Old 05-21-2008, 12:00 PM   #1  
but you can call me Sarah

S/C/G: 165/185/135

Height: 5'2

Talking Did anyone else cry?

Yesterday was my frist WW meeting. I have to tell you - I sat in the back of the room and just cried my eyes out! I felt like I was sitting in a motivational "Believe in yourself and your dreams" meeting. I guess, in a way, I was. I had so many hesitations (and yes, I was the youngest in the room at 27), but my worries dissipated the moment I met the leader. She was great! She helped me pick a plan that would work for me.

One of my problems (besides not moving) is that I was only eating about 700 calories a day, and my body was in starvation mode. So, we agreed that I should do FLEX for at least 2 weeks so I can learn to eat the AMOUNT of food my body needs. And since I love to cook (and 9/10 its very healthy anyway), we'll go to CORE after that? Any one else have to do that?

I just wanted to share my amazing experience and thanks in advance for all the support I'll get here.
wifey bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/161/144

Height: 5'9"

I did poorly when I started WW because I didn't eat enough. I love flex because I have learned to figure out portions, and to not eat when I'm not hungry. I really enjoy my meetings, they are a big part of the motivation. Good luck to you!
Kofarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:22 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

It can be very emotional. I'm glad you feel supported by your leader.

Sounds like a solid plan. You might find you enjoy Flex But, many, many people have success with the Core plan. Giving both a try is a good idea.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:06 PM   #4  

What a great post and remember that feeling!

A good connection with your leader is so helpful! And please don't stray from the program - with WW, there just isn't any reason to because quite frankly, you can work anything into the plan SO many people (myself included in past attempts) get caught up with cheating over and over again and then justifying it and then never making any progress. I used to post here but got discouraged with all the excuses etc we all have to find our way but if you can do it this first time around, you will do just great! Congrats again and congrats Faerie on your success - you are doing terrific!

Last edited by Patty575; 05-21-2008 at 08:06 PM.
Patty575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:31 PM   #5  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

Height: 5' 7"

our leader is superb, and yes i'v shed tears at ww, but tears of joy and relief, i truly thought my "eating disorder" would be the death of me. that was before ww tought me how to eat. i'm happy for you that you've found this program, it really is a wonderful group to be a part of.
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:22 PM   #6  

I cried at my first meeting, but mostly because I realized how far I had to go and the reality of having let it get this bad hit me -- you can't be in denial when you are at a meeting centered around healthy lifestyles and weight loss!!

I have binged/purged most of my life and find it rather calming to attend a meeting -- it's like church to me! I just feel like I'm surrounded by people just like me -- some farther along in their journey but that understand the rough spots. It's awesome -- I love my leader. When I have to go on a different day that she isn't there, I always tell her the next week how much I missed her!

Question while we are chatting -- my husband tonight saw my log (flex points) and made a comment that I'm snacking way too much -- I'm so upset with him. He has the concept that any diet program is a waste of money and thinks you just need to "eat less and exercise". As I've pointed out to him, if it was that easy for me, I would never have gained 100 pounds. I'm just upset that I can't get him to understand that I get a certain amount of food, I can chose to distribute it any way I want to. In his mind I'm still overeating. Men!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:38 AM   #7  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby897 View Post

Question while we are chatting -- my husband tonight saw my log (flex points) and made a comment that I'm snacking way too much -- I'm so upset with him. He has the concept that any diet program is a waste of money and thinks you just need to "eat less and exercise". As I've pointed out to him, if it was that easy for me, I would never have gained 100 pounds. I'm just upset that I can't get him to understand that I get a certain amount of food, I can chose to distribute it any way I want to. In his mind I'm still overeating. Men!!
I don't want to be down on your husband... but some people will never fully understand. I wish that spouses would always "get it", but they're people, too...

It's one of the reasons why the meetings are so important to me. And why 3FC has been a godsend. I'm surrounded by this unconditional, understanding support. Everyone knows. Everyone has been there, is there, will be there.

Any plan is worth it if it helps you to lose the weight you need to lose.

I'm very insulted by those (often people who've never had to lose 10 lbs much less 100 or more) who want to give me BAD advice about how to lose weight. They are not in my situation, and quite frankly, even when I'm at goal, I will never be in theirs. I can't just "think like a thin person" and be done with it. My life, and my mind do not work that way, and never ever will. So when someone says "You could just count calories for free on your own" ... it's a rude judgement. They're saying "You're doing it wrong...." (Note: counting calories is a perfectly wonderful way to lose weight! It's just the example I'm using.) And really, truly whatever works for ME is what's right. Even if it costs me 50 bucks a month. I'M WORTH IT. I'm not going to continue to struggle on my own just because someone says I can make it work that way. I determine what I need to lose weight, no one else. And what I need is this sort of structure, with this amount of support. Finding a program that allows me to lose weight & keep it off is priceless beyond compare.

It'd be like me telling a smoker "You can just stop smoking. Quit cold turkey." They could I'm sure... but who am I, someone who smoked a clove once in college... to tell them how to quit.

Someone who has never been overweight and trying to lose weight will NEVER understand. They might be able to listen and try to support to the best of their ability. But they will never... understand.

And I think that's what annoys me. They think they understand. They think it's a simple equation. They think they've cornered the market of weight loss. But they cannot even fathom its depths.

That kind of went off on a tangent... that wasn't really about your husband! I've just seen that sort of thing written recently by a couple of people elsewhere, and it's a bit more than just a pet peeve of mine...

I wrote this in my journal awhile ago about just the above pet peeve... It's a bit harsh, but I was feeling harsh:

"Don't you dare. Don't you dare make me feel guilty about eating better now than I have my entire life. Don't you dare try to make me feel bad about eating more nutritiously now than before. You do not know what I have been through to get where I am now. And you do not know as much about weight loss as you like to think you do. So don't you dare try to make me feel bad about doing something that is good for myself.... because I am worth it."
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:42 PM   #8  

Faerie -- Thanks for your support -- I love this place

I'm finally confident enough to take control and lose this weight -- with our without his support. "Unfortunately", he is one of those people who did quite smoking cold turkey -- thinks you can do that with food as well -- I would love to see him smoke just three cigarettes a day like I "should" have just three meals a day and not go overboard!!

It is not my job to make others understand what I am doing, but the least they could do is mind their own business! And, I figure the $40/month I'm spending on WW is less than the amount I would have spent on junk food without them!!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote