WW Recipes - Bean Brownies?

View Full Version : Bean Brownies?

CrazedLedZepFan
05-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Hi everyone, I'm not on WW but my aunt who is bought us over these fabulous brownies she made with a box of brownie mix and beans. My bf raved over them and requested I make them.

Does anyone have this recipe? I tried doing a search, but no luck. It would be much appreciated.

mandalinn82
05-20-2008, 07:22 PM
From Here:
http://www.mysweetconnection.com/recipeexchange/sweettooth/blackbeanbrownies1.html
This simple substitution greatly reduces the fat content of regular brownie mix, and increases the fiber and protein content. There is still sugar in the mix, so restraint is still in order when consuming these!

Ingredients:
1 15.5 ounce can of black beans
1 brownie mix
1 pan sprayed with oil (or nonstick)

Instructions:
Spray 9" x 9" baking pan with oil or non-stick spray.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Pour beans and liquid into blender and puree. In a mixing bowl, combine brownie mix with pureed beans. Stir with a spoon. Fold into pan. Bake as directed on box.

Nutrition:
Calories are about that of regular brownies: approximately 100 per brownie.

CrazedLedZepFan
05-20-2008, 08:08 PM
Thank You!

auntie g
05-20-2008, 08:22 PM
How do these compare, taste-wise, to making them with canned pumpkin? I've never tried using beans before and it sounds a little scary... but interesting!

brownsugah
05-20-2008, 08:23 PM
oh wow, i would have never thought to do this! sounds intriguing!! have you had them? do they taste good?

puppetlady
05-20-2008, 09:55 PM
Ok, I'm new to all of this.

Bean brownies, and pumpkin in brownies?

Does this replace the fat or oils?

I've never heard of such a thing, but might would like to try it. Does anyone have a recipe to make from scratch?

:^: dee

Marms
05-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Yes, it replaces the eggs and oil.

I make bean brownies a lot. They get very heavy and moist, and they really don't taste beany at all.

And you can lick the batter without fear of salmonella poisoning, lol.

auntie g
05-20-2008, 10:42 PM
I've also used baby food prunes in place of the oil in brownies and they were mighty good!

puppetlady
05-20-2008, 11:15 PM
:bike: Sounds crazy but I'm gonna give it a try! I did a search and found a recipe.

I can't wait to see my 19 yr old's face when he tries one! This ought to be good!

:dizzy:

CrazedLedZepFan
05-20-2008, 11:25 PM
Yes, you cannot tell they are beans. They seem to puff up a little more than the pumpkin ones and are more cakey (probably the higher water content). Can have a bit of an fiber-y aftertaste though so wash it down with milk or brush afterwards. I like them better than the real thing.

chickybird
05-21-2008, 08:07 PM
okay, I had to try it. I made the black bean brownies. They taste great! Who knew? Thanks guys!

chinchillables
06-12-2008, 02:57 PM
you put BEANS in BROWNIES?ugh... sounds disgusting.

kaplods
06-12-2008, 08:10 PM
For Thanksgiving, I was asked to bring a nutbread to MIL's as my contribution. I bought a devil's food cake mix and a carrot cake mix (Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines). I bought two cans (about a lb) of pureed pumpkin (making sure it was just pumpkin, not pie filling or spiced pumkin), one for each mix). I made muffins with them.

I made the devil's food cake muffins first. When I mixed the pumpkin and the cake mix, I was really tempted to add more liquid, the mix is very pasty, but Hungry Girl site had warned me that this was what it was supposed to be.

For the carrot cake one, I also added a very small handful of chopped walnuts and a few dried apricots, diced small)

Both turned out really lovely. For the carrot cake ones, I would definitely need to measure and calculated the calories of the nuts and the fruit, the next time I make them. The chocolate ones were really good. Not overly sweet (which is what I love), because I think it really brought out the chocolate flavor.

I don't do sweets, breads or cakes very often, but it was a nice compromise, especially on Thanksgivings when the traditional options are so heavy.

brownsugah
06-25-2008, 02:01 AM
I just made these brownies- curiosity got the better of me... and they are not all that bad. I think I should have mashed up the beans a bit more, because the brownies are quite chunky and beany as they are right now. But even so they aren't too bad. I guess if I squint, they could look like chocolate chips..? LOL

PhotoChick
06-25-2008, 02:06 AM
I made these and really pureed the beans in my blender. Seriously until they were completely liquid.

No one - I mean not one single person - could tell that they were anything but regular brownies. And when I said they had beans in them people were shocked!

chickybird
06-25-2008, 02:29 AM
I made them too, and nobody noticed until I said something. I also added a little vanilla just to make sure there was no beany taste.
I did notice a few things about them though:
1) when they are hot out of the oven, you don't taste the beans.
2) when you eat one cold, you can't taste the beans.
3) when you reheat the brownies when they are cold, you kind of taste the beans. Good luck!

bandit2
06-25-2008, 12:54 PM
I have my brownie mix out in sight & am definately going to try these!

PhotoChick
06-25-2008, 01:00 PM
Ah .. I never reheated mine. Just ate them fresh out of the pan, or cold.

Good to nkow!

tschaff04
10-18-2012, 05:32 PM
Could you do this with a homemade brownie recipe rather than a box one? Like just replace everything but the dry ingredients with the bean mixture?

tschaff04
10-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Also on the skinnytaste site she says to rinse the beans thoroughly and then add them back to the can and fill it with water. So that might help make them less beany tasting. lol Since you rinse away the yucky bean liquid.

tschaff04
10-18-2012, 05:36 PM
http://www.mmmisformommy.com/2011/05/legendary-black-bean-brownie.html

I did find this recipe which uses beans, eggs, oil, and no flour at all. Might end up being lower in points or the same. I didn't calculate it just thought it looked like it has possibility.