Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-20-2008, 10:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 163/143/135

Height: 5ī5

Unhappy pizza and cake party!! Help!

So far itīs been going great and Iīve been really motivated and happy with my progress, but I just found out that next friday there will be a dinnerparty were the students that are graduating will be eating with the teachers. And the only things that will be served will be pizza and cake! Iīm not sure what to do, normally If I would be advising someone I would just say "get a small slice of each and work out extra hard and eat only healthy low-calorie food the rest of the day and just count it towards your daily calories, but the fact is I donīt want the pizza or the cake, I would rather have a satifying 400 calorie delicious healthy meal that I make myself than one slice of greasy pizza for the same amount of calories. I just donīt think itīs worth the calories! so I donīt know what to do I canīt just go there and sit down with all the students and not eat, I just donīt know how I would explain that since noone knows about my new healthy lifestyle and my friends love to eat and would think I was being ridiculous!

sorry this was a long post Iīm just really confused!

All advice will be greatly appreciated!
exerciserocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:35 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

First of all, you certainly do NOT have to eat that pizza and cake if you don't want any. You just aren't in the mood for pizza, and that's OK! Just because it's around and there are ways to eat it in moderation never means that we have to eat it.

Secondly, you don't have to tell anyone why. Or you can give them any old excuse to get them to stop asking. "I'm not hungry right now. My stomach's a little weird today so I'm skipping the pizza. I just have a craving for something different today."

Third, you can go and eat. Just bring your own food. This isn't as strange as it may seem. I do this... and if someone asks I answer "I just haven't been in the mood for <insert food> lately... so I just brought my own lunch."

Have a fun time! You can make it through the day! Just be glad you had advanced warning
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:36 AM   #3  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

Can you eat dinner before you go? Eat your normal, healthy lower-cal dinner and maybe just have a small slice of cake. If you take a bite or two then kind of just put it down, you won't have done any harm. If people say anything you could always say your stomach wasn't feeling well. Could you ask whoever is providing the food if they will be having salad? Maybe they could serve that as well if you ask. There's always the 'don't go' excuse but then you'd miss out!
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:06 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 299/187.8/150

Height: 5'8"

I agree, no harm in saying you're just not hungry, or even admitting that you're trying to eat healthier. Who knows, maybe you'll inspire your friends to do the same!! Keep up the great work!
gabbnteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:07 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

It sounds like this is a party you can't avoid--but if that's not true, I would just find an excuse not to go.

If you feel you should go, then I disagree with the idea of bringing your own food--unless you want to go down in the history of the group as being "the weird one who brought her own food, and what's with that, anyway?"

Go, have one slice of whatever is the least offensive pizza, take a piece of cake and eat as much as you can stand of it, and leave the rest; if there's a salad, have a little bit of that, and make the focus of the event the PEOPLE there, not the food choices.

You'll be hungry afterward--plan to eat some real food when you get home. Or, as someone else suggested, eat beforehand so you're not very hungry to begin with. You do not need to tell anyone at the party about this!

I have noticed the following things since I've been on this path. (1) Garbage cans at parties often have a lot of half-eaten pieces of cake. (2) Also, a lot of half-eaten pizza. (3) Some people at events eat a little bit, and just don't get around to finishing because it's not about the food! And no one really questions them as long as they don't make a big deal out of what they are doing.

Don't stress over it. Consider it practice for real life, 'cause that's what it is.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 05-20-2008 at 11:08 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:54 AM   #6  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

surely there will bbe other tyhings on the menu....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:18 PM   #7  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

Bring something healthy to the party and avoid the pizza and cake (cake especially). You might seem like a weirdo, but ... who cares?
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 175/169/140

Height: 5' 3"

Eat your healthy meal beforehand and carry couple of cans of your favourite diet soda. In the party, just grab a piece of cake & pretend eating it and drink your diet soda. Chances are, no one will notice.
needtobestrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:37 PM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

If I truly didn't want something, there is no way on earth that I would eat it. Not even a bite. As far as explanations go, if you feel you must give one, there is nothing wrong with saying, "I'm just not in the mood for XXXXX." or "I'm just not hungry." Enough said.

I would eat something lite prior to the party to tide me over til I was able to get home to my homecooked meal. During the party, I'd stick to water, seltzer or diet soda.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:51 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Funny thing is I never liked pizza until well after college. When I was in college, there were always lots of pizza parties and events where pizza was the food. Not that I was dieting (I should've been at well over 300 lbs) but I never ate it because I didn't want it and didn't like it.

It wasn't until I was nearly 30 until I learned to like pizza and even then only certain kinds. Now I'm even pickier as I only eat cheeseless pizza

Anyway, don't have the pizza because its not what you want and it really isn't worth it to eat something you don't want to eat especially when it is very caloric.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:30 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

If you feel funny about it and don't want your weight loss to become the subject of conversation, just tell them pizza has been giving you wicked heartburn lately.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote