South Beach Diet - Whats for dinner?

View Full Version : Whats for dinner?

iammare
05-19-2008, 12:05 PM
I don't know what to make for dinner... sick of beef, chicken, eggplant, and shrimp. I guess I'm just getting bored with food again. Need some ideas!!! PLEASE!!! :)

DH will eat just about anything... it's just me who is bored.

Thanks!

jillybean720
05-19-2008, 12:10 PM
I'm probably not much help since we literally eat chicken at least 5 nights a week :p Tonight is chicken and broccoli with ginger and sliced almonds.

How about some turkey burgers? I LOVE them, especially with cheese and bacon (either lower sodium bacon or center cut for reduced fat--wish it could be both).

Or you could maybe splurge and do sea scallops-YUM!

I'm boring--we eat the same things ALL the time, and mostly just chicken since I don't care for many other meats.

CyndiM
05-19-2008, 12:42 PM
Grilled portabello "burgers" with a dab of last summer's pesto on Ezekiel buns, cauliflower wither steamed or roasted

Kim_Star060404
05-19-2008, 12:46 PM
We're having Meatball Casserole with baked zucchini and salad with homemade vinaigrette.

femmecreole
05-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Hmm, I can't help since we are having leftover chicken fricase (sic?) with brown rice and leftover cauliflower and leftover marinated tomatoes and cucumbers.

But, don't forget about pork...how about thin cut pork tenderloins? So many ways to fix them!

hmacneil6
05-19-2008, 01:50 PM
We're having Schezwan Shrimp w/ Brown Rice (There's a great recipe for it under entrees Phase 1. Also, there's a great website/blog: Kayln's Kitchen that had a whole lot of great recipes, the list is quite extensive and the recipes are categorized well.
http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/

TwynnB
05-19-2008, 01:57 PM
Mmmmm...I'm having scallops tonight!! Yippee!! I planned our menu in advance, so I actually have all the groceries already...

Mon - scallops provenale (off allrecipes website)
Tues - chicken and black bean chili
Wed - Chicken Teriyaki with rice
Thurs - spaghetti (with sweet italian turkey sausage)
Frid - Chxn and veggie pockets on the grill

I can't wait to try tonights!!!

Marathon Mom
05-19-2008, 02:22 PM
Baked Tilapia Parmesan w/ baked sweet potatoes and tossed salad

Last night I made burgers on the grill. It was my first time having burgers without the roll... I wasn't sure if I'd be satisified... I had lettuce tomato, onion, pickle and veggie burger on my plate w/ low sugar ketchup and mustard - it was delicious. I was highly satisifed.

zeffryn
05-19-2008, 02:28 PM
We're having a healthier version of Shepherd's Pie. Adding more veggies: eggplant, zucchini, and edamame instead of green peas. Turkey instead of ground beef and mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes. I also think we'll have some brussels sprouts on the side. I usually do two veggie sides, but since there are so many veggies in the main dish I think I'll stick to one.

Tomorrow is black and white bean soup. I've already started soaking the beans this morning and I'm going to cook them off tonight.

TwynnB
05-19-2008, 03:42 PM
Ohhhh...what's the black and white bean soup??!!?? I LOVE black beans!! (I've made straight black bean soup, which is excellent!!)

Soon2bJWeave
05-19-2008, 03:51 PM
Tonight we're trying the Mahi-Mahi with Citrus from the Quick and Easy SBD Cookbook. We're also trying the cauliflower recipe in there to try something other than just salad as a side dish. I'm looking forward to it!

The rest of the week has us making Pork Satay, Chicken stuffed with Goat Cheese and Spinach, and a night of leftovers. I'm excited for great dinner meals!

zeffryn
05-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Ohhhh...what's the black and white bean soup??!!?? I LOVE black beans!! (I've made straight black bean soup, which is excellent!!)

It's from the second SBD cookbook.

black beans, white beans, onion, poblano pepper,celery, garlic, thyme, chili powder, cumin, and sage. I've never made it before, but I love black bean soup so I thought I would give this a try.

TwynnB
05-19-2008, 08:42 PM
Oh...my...gosh.

Our scallops were FANTASTIC. Who needs a fattening, high carb supper?!?

hmacneil6
05-20-2008, 09:33 AM
Dinner tonight is Blue Moon Burgers. Ground sirloin patties w/ blue cheese inside and then soaked in red wine for a few min. before going on the grill. We'll have WW buns (I'll probably eat my open faced) w/ sautéed mushrooms and a big green salad.

cottagebythesea
05-20-2008, 09:56 AM
Mmmmmmm! That sounds delicious, hc! I'll have to try that with ground turkey sometime, since I don't eat red meat.

This evening we're having Black Bean Soup with a big green salad. I'm really hungry for some good soup, so I can't wait!

Kim_Star060404
05-20-2008, 09:58 AM
Tonight we're having salmon tacos (I'll eat mine over a salad) with pinto beans and sauteed bell peppers.

Soon2bJWeave
05-20-2008, 10:11 AM
The Mahi Mahi last night and the Cauliflower was SO good. FH and I both were so stuffed after it, I was really happy with it. We also had the dessert for breakfast pie (for dessert!).

Tonight is the chicken stuffed with goat cheese and spinach. We'll probably also do a salad and I'll finish off tonight with a sugar free fudgesicle.

Schmoodle
05-20-2008, 10:51 AM
Citrus and Soy mahi mahi, 3 bean salad, green salad. Maybe some brown rice if I don't have any more grains today.

Those Blue Moon burgers sound awesome, DH would be all over that, all of his favorite things in one!

SkinnyDogMom
05-20-2008, 12:27 PM
One of my friends made grilled portabella "burgers" for a mother's day cookout and they were awesome. She made an artichoke spread to go on them, I think it was artichoke, mayo, garlic and ???. I'll have to ask for her recipe. It really complimented the portabellas well.

We often have breakfast for dinner. It is quick and easy and eggs are always so tasty. It varies from frittatas, omelets, over medium eggs, eggs florentine & scrambled. Sometimes we eat bacon or sausage with it. Sometimes a scoop of cottage cheese w/the eggs. Fresh tomato slices &/or avacado slices. Sometimes with a side of brown rice.

pamatga
05-20-2008, 12:54 PM
I'd be inviting myself over for dinner:)

Well, as I am fond of saying K.I.S.S. ( keep it simple sweetie).

Baked chicken, my DH's favorite. He has the baked potatoes. I have the steamed vegetables. Sometimes, I have my "sweet treat" afterwards.

That's it. Takes longer to load the dishwasher than it does to eat the meal.;)

Schmoodle
05-20-2008, 01:20 PM
pamatga, you are funny. :lol: Whatever works I say. Some of us are creatures of habit and some need more variety...
I was looking at the portabellas at the grocery last night, because I think DH would really like that. I just couldn't do it - I hate mushrooms.

zeffryn
05-21-2008, 11:17 AM
I'm not sure what we're having. It's a toss-up between sweet potato and black bean burritos OR bbq beef sandwiches on ezekiel buns with a vinegar based no mayo cabbage slaw salad.

I guess it depends on if we have company over for dinner or not. I tend not to serve things like sweet potato burritos because even though my family really likes them, they are kind of a weird combination and I don't want my guests to hate it.

Schmoo - it's just the opposite in our house. DH hates mushrooms and I love them! Portabella burgers are so great!

Soon2bJWeave
05-21-2008, 11:49 AM
I think we're doing leftovers tonight which for me means a boca burger with swiss cheese and lots of veggies. I'd like to open a can of black beans but not sure if I have time.

whoopseedaisee
05-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Tonight I'm thinking a turkey taco salad -- ground turkey cooked in some taco seasoning mix over a huge bed of lettuce & tomatoes (shredded & finely chopped like you'd do for a taco) topped with shredded fiesta cheese blend, refried beans and some creamy salsa (salsa mixed with my 2 Tbsp of allowed light sour cream).

Great ... now I'm hungry ...

zeffryn
05-21-2008, 01:45 PM
I think we're doing leftovers tonight which for me means a boca burger with swiss cheese and lots of veggies. I'd like to open a can of black beans but not sure if I have time.

? Do you gnaw the can open?

WhoopsieDaisy - that salad sounds divine. I might have to add that to my meal plan for next week!

whoopseedaisee
05-21-2008, 02:08 PM
It's absolutely delicious! It's been one of my staple comfort meals for years ... now I just leave off the shredded tortilla chips I used to sprinkle on top! :D

Soon2bJWeave
05-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Zeffryn - haha, nope not gnawing the can open, but if I have time to throw something together using beans. We have a neighborhood project tonight at 6:30 that we have to get to, so that limits what I have time for!

jillybean720
05-21-2008, 03:08 PM
Tonight is chicken breast tenders baked with miso dijonnaise, lower sodium bacon, and Swiss cheese served with steamed broccoli. Hopefully, I'll have some left over for lunch tomorrow, too!

Schmoodle
05-21-2008, 03:55 PM
leftover fish and veggies for me and DH and something quick and easy for the kids.

hmacneil6
05-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Dinner tonight is swordfish kabobs w/ peppers, onions, and mushrooms, brown rice pilaf, and a big green salad

zeffryn
05-21-2008, 06:08 PM
Zeffryn - haha, nope not gnawing the can open, but if I have time to throw something together using beans. We have a neighborhood project tonight at 6:30 that we have to get to, so that limits what I have time for!

Try mixing black beans with salsa. It makes a wonderful burger topping.

Natalie'sMom
05-21-2008, 06:11 PM
For tonight, I made the turkey sweedish meatballs from the cookbook, so I'll let you know how they are! I think we'll have them with couscous and brocolli!

hmacneil6
05-22-2008, 09:34 AM
Tonight's dinner is Chicken stuffed with chilies and cheese, black beans, and a huge green salad. Really looking forward to it!
Made the best brown rice last night, almost creamy, like a risotto.....onions, chicken broth, almonds, parsley. SO GOOD!

SkinnyDogMom
05-22-2008, 11:30 AM
ww pasta w/shrimp & fresh spinach cooked until just wilted w/garlic and a drizzle of EVOO.
we'll probably heat up another veggie...maybe edamame or a mix from TJ's.
strawberries w/vanilla sf/ff yogurt for dessert

Schmoodle
05-22-2008, 11:32 AM
I'm on an Italian kick lately.
Lasagna for the kids and Eggplant strata with zucchini and roasted red peppers for me and DH. And salad.

iammare
05-22-2008, 12:25 PM
Well, for the last 3 days, my dinner has been Kashi "heart to Heart" oatmeal, with some Agave nectar. I tell you, I'm so bored with food right now, that I don't know what to eat.

I've been cleaning out the freezer for DHs dinners... Lasagna, pulled pork, meatballs and sauce... None of it sounds good to me.

I may make sun dried tomato pesto chicken and ww pasta tonight, and serve it with garlic broccoli - but I've got to go to the store for the chicken and pasta not to mention broccoli... Maybe... then I could swing by Panara and get some bread for DH.

zeffryn
05-22-2008, 12:59 PM
We're going out for mexican with DH's family. Nothing sounds good right now. I have no idea what I'm planning to have.....maybe a salad, but this restaurant isn't quite known for their salads. hrm...

A margarita would really hit the spot right now ;)

VermontMom
05-22-2008, 01:02 PM
I'm probably not much help since we literally eat chicken at least 5 nights a week :p Tonight is chicken and broccoli with ginger and sliced almonds.

How about some turkey burgers? I LOVE them, especially with cheese and bacon (either lower sodium bacon or center cut for reduced fat--wish it could be both).

Or you could maybe splurge and do sea scallops-YUM!

I'm boring--we eat the same things ALL the time, and mostly just chicken since I don't care for many other meats.

LOL! you would be right at home in our place, chicken and salad it is, also about 5X's a week :D

Ruthxxx
05-22-2008, 04:00 PM
I'm having a beef fajita or two on small ww tortillas with lots of onions, peppers and salsa.

cottagebythesea
05-22-2008, 06:50 PM
I had grilled salmon over a spinach and green bean salad. Dessert will be my new favorite, Cat's" ice cream. "

murphmitch
05-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Leftover Taco Bake with Greek yogurt for dessert. It's my favorite SB meal.

CyndiM
06-15-2008, 05:51 PM
I thought I'd revive this thread to give the new folks some ideas :)

I've got the grill going because yesterday was Farmer's Market day and I scored some reduced portabellos at the grocery store. Asparagus, shrooms, pepper slices, and eggplant are all getting tossed on the grill with a little Newman's RF dressing as marinade. Boca burgers or Smart dogs will round it out for us.

hmacneil6
06-16-2008, 03:52 PM
Thanks Cyndi!!! I kind of let the weekly fall to the wayside, but it is helpful for those just starting out.

Tonight we're having Chicken Kabobs on the Grill, Brown Rice w/ Scallions and cashews, and a huge green salad.
For dessert we're having berry and vanilla yogurt parfaits w/ homemade granola topping.

CyndiM
06-16-2008, 04:22 PM
I'm trying a swiss chard mushroom square recipe from Kalyn's Kitchen. Swiss chard from the CSA and mushrooms from the reduced bin (to tie this to another thread ;) I might make some mashed or roasted cauliflower on the side.

michmich
06-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Thanks for bumping this, Cyndi.

Tonight I'm making Garlic Chicken, Sauteed Spinach and Great Northern Beans.

CyndiM
06-16-2008, 07:49 PM
I'm trying a swiss chard mushroom square recipe from Kalyn's Kitchen.

This was an outstanding recipe and will become a regular this summer. Here's the link: http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2008/02/recipes-for-swiss-chard-and-mushroom.html
There's even an adaptation to make it P1

murphmitch
06-16-2008, 08:02 PM
Chicken breasts sauteed in olive oil with peppers, onion & mushrooms & sprinkled with fresh grated Parmesan.

Auralei
06-17-2008, 08:22 AM
Last night I made the baked chicken with avocado and swiss, though I used ff mozzerella since I couldn't find ff swiss. Also, no magic seasoning in the house so I looked up the ingredients online. It was awesome, especially with a little bit of salsa to dip it in. Served it with sauteed yellow squash with onions and EVOO, and lots of salad.

Two days into SBD and my husband has requested both dishes stay on our rotation. He loved the meatballs :)

Tonight is the Taco Bake, I can't wait, yummy!

hmacneil6
06-17-2008, 09:34 AM
Today we are having rosemary and lemon broiled swordfish, roasted asparagus, and a green salad.

CyndiM
06-17-2008, 11:57 AM
We are still working on cleaning out the freezer after the power outage last week. I'm making fajitas with grilled peppers, eggplant, squash and Quorn cutlets with guacamole and salsa on the side. WW tortillas of course!

michmich
06-17-2008, 04:56 PM
Kalyn's Kitchen is a neat website!!! Thanks, Cyndi.

Tonight I'm making Garlic Parmesan Shrimp (recipe from this site), Cole Slaw (going to get my dairy in here w/yogurt) and Pinto Beans. I was going to make Sphaghetti Squash, but they didn't have any at the grocery store. Phooey.

hmacneil6
06-17-2008, 05:28 PM
Michmich - I had the Garlic Parmesan Shrimp last week for dinner and I served it with sauteed spinach w/ mushrooms and garlic. SO GOOD!!!

Roz
06-17-2008, 05:34 PM
Tuna fish. Sounds exciting, huh. I don't do a lot of cooking any more since it's just the two of us and he's watching his weight, also.

michmich
06-17-2008, 05:46 PM
That sounds good, hmac. Dangit, I did sauteed spinach last night.

hmacneil6
06-19-2008, 11:12 AM
I forgot to post yesterday, but last night we had filet mignon (on sale for 6.99 a pound!!!), sauteed mushrooms, mixed summer squash medly, and a green salad. REALLY YUMMY!!! And for dessert we had strawberries and blueberries w/ n/f s/f vanilla yogurt & some crushed shredded wheat for some crunch.

Schmoodle
06-19-2008, 12:41 PM
uh-oh, the girls want to cook dinner tonight. I've got a backup plan tho', some leftovers in the fridge I can eat if what they make is not beachy (very likely). I'll just taste a bit and then hide and eat my food later.

filet mignon on sale, oooh, I'd load up my freezer on that.

Auralei
06-19-2008, 12:56 PM
We're doing filet mignon tonite :) Along with steamed asparagus, spinach salad, and probably the mashed cauliflower.

Might have to run to the store for mushrooms, it's not a steak without sauteed mushrooms and onions :D

chronicdieter
06-19-2008, 01:51 PM
Leftover turkey/veggie chili....I think it's better the second day! :carrot:

zeffryn
06-19-2008, 07:00 PM
Sweet bean burritos - one of my favorites!

steamed, mashed sweet potatoes mixed with black beans, cumin and cilantro. Rolled up in a ww tortilla and topped with a bit of cheddar.

sounds weird, tastes incredible. I've had them three times in the past two weeks...I think DH might be getting a little sick of them, but they are one thing that I can really keep down and make me not want to wretch.

CyndiM
06-19-2008, 07:14 PM
oven roasted asparagus, sauteed kale w/garlic, & eggplant burgers

cottagebythesea
06-19-2008, 07:54 PM
I had a vegetable tray still left from Sunday's party, so I made a huge stir-fry with it and tossed in a handful of shrimp. Delicious!

michmich
06-20-2008, 09:57 AM
Turkey Meatballs w/crushed tomatoes, steamed squash/zucc and chickpeas.

briezee
06-20-2008, 08:15 PM
The mock French toast from the Phase I breakfast thread with some canadian bacon and a small glass of milk.