Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-18-2008, 10:45 PM   #1  
Losin' it forever!

Default Losing my mind over protein

So are there any protein powders or bars out there that don't taste like crap? So far, I have hated everything. I've tried the whey proteins; chocolate, vanilla, unflavored (yeah, right) and cappachino. I've tried the ISS Oh Yeah protein bars too and am not crazy about them. I know they aren't supposed to taste like a Hershey bar, but that "protein taste" about makes me gag.

Everything else about surgery is going great! I just need to solve the protein issue!
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:51 AM   #2  

I like Zone bars. Now Target has their own brand, which is cheaper. Also Pure Protein is pretty good (imho). But I only eat the cookie dough flavor. Balance bars are good too. Have you been on bariatriceating.com? You can order a sample pack of protein bars.
missdivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:28 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

i'm still a HUGE fan of nectar protein - they mix in water. or in anything else.

no matter which protein supplement or bar you use, ya gotta watch the carbs and the calories. we don't absorb more than about 20 grams of protein at any one time, so those 'high protein' concoctions wtih 45 or more grams are TWO SERVINGS for us.

keep us posted!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:53 AM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Trader Joes carries a brand thats pretty good. They are like 25 gms of protein and only 100 calories..VANILLA. I can't remember the name but its in a blue can. My daughter even likes them. Don['t get the chocolate, they are GROSS !!! I'll try to get the name for you.

One thing about protein drinks is you have to drink them cold or they taste pretty icky.

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:12 AM   #5  
Image isn't Character

S/C/G: 278(54%BF)/180(10%)/175(8%)

Height: 5'8"

syntrax nectar tastes really, really good, I agree with that. And with flavors like Fuzzy Navel, how could you not wanna try it? Any protein by BSN tastes amazing as well, but the sugar and cholesterol contents of BSN products are very, very high. Optimum Nutrition's stuff isn't bad either, it mixes really well and doesn't have a chalky taste or anything.
griffogrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:41 AM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

The name of the protein drink from Trader Joes is Worldwide Pure Protein... they also sell it with 35 gms of protein.

The ones I get are vanilla, 25 gms protein and 100 calories in a blue can.

This is what it looks like: http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2601267

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:18 AM   #7  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

another option is to get plain protien and mix it into coffee or tea with milk and sweetener.
Aria is also good
Unjury is YUMMY but $$$$
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:56 AM   #8  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

You could try getting creative and mix the protein powder with other ingredients....there are some great recipes out there. I made up my own! Adding sugar free syrups, cocoa power, splenda or spices...can make it much easier to drink.

i.e.....

Eggnog

1/4 c milk
1 scoop vanilla protein power
1/4 c eggbeaters (they're pasteurized)
1/4 t pumpkin pie spice
1/4 t vanilla
1 packet Splenda

Mix in blender

Pina Colata

1/4 c milk
1 scoop vanilla protein power
1 t each SF Banana, pineapple, coconut syrup
1/4 t vanilla
2-3 ice cubes

Mix in blender

You NEVER have to just drink them as they are packaged and you never have to have the same thing twice if you don't want to.

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 05-19-2008 at 12:06 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:06 PM   #9  
my girls

S/C/G: 379/341/180

Height: 5'7

i use gladiator from smoothie king. it is two scoops for 45 grams so i do it twice a day instead. it tastes good.
mistymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:42 PM   #10  
Queen of Everything

Height: 5'5

you know, i've never tried them, (obviously) but i saw at bariatriceating.com they have 'shots' of protein... like 42 grams per shot. heck, i could do that, if it came down to it. might be worth a try, if you're that desperate for the protein.
Mdae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:35 PM   #11  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

make sure those bullets/shots are a protein isolate!
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:57 PM   #12  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

I agree, it all tastes pretty nasty. Walmart's generic protein bar is not too bad.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote