100 lb. Club - Telling how much you weigh

View Full Version : Telling how much you weigh

matt_H
05-18-2008, 10:39 PM
I have some really good friends that have been extremely supportive of my weight loss efforts this past year. Today, two of my friends went with me on a very long walk (10 miles). I'm in training for a marathon walk at the end of September and I'm going to have to get a lot of walking time in over the new few months.

Anyway, my friend Raya knew that I lost 85 pounds and she asked me how much I now weigh. Before, I think I would have refused to answer it or somehow made a joke to diffuse the situation, but I flat out told her the exact number (361). It sort of felt good that I'm not ashamed of it. Maybe it is just a change in mindet, but the number on the scale doesn't really matter as much as whether every day I do the best I can to live as healthy as I can.

Being not embarassed to tell someone how much I weigh seems like good change for me.

KateRN
05-18-2008, 11:04 PM
thats something i always struggle with !!!

thanks for being an inspiration!

CountingDown
05-18-2008, 11:05 PM
LOL - You have done a WONDERFUL job losing 85 lbs. You SHOULD be proud of your accomplishment.

I tell anyone that asks how much I weigh. I tell them exactly how much I have lost, and what my starting weight was. Anyone that knows me, knows that I was obese. It wasn't a secret, it was very visible to everyone that met me.

Celebrate your success, and congrats on your walking regime. That is AWESOME!

Smiling_Sara
05-18-2008, 11:09 PM
I don't think I'd be able to ask someone how much they weigh. I don't want anyone asking how much I weigh. I don't mind telling ppl how much I have lost, or how much more i'd like to lose. I think if anyone asked me, I'd smile and say too much right now, but I'm working on it. :)

FB
05-18-2008, 11:40 PM
It's very liberating for me. Once I told my obvious 'secret' to a few close people there was no turning back. It very much changed my mindset and determination. I had/have nothing to be ashamed of because I'm changing for the positive, where in the past I was doing nothing about it and wouldn't have dreamed of telling anyone.

kisskiss
05-19-2008, 12:01 AM
good for you for being able to tell ppl that number! it sounds liberating. I wouldnt be able to do that, tho. Not right now. I wouldnt ask anyone how much they weigh either bc I wouldnt want to tell how much I weigh, not even my bffs, who i've known for over 10 years. i have no guts :)

Lovely
05-19-2008, 12:03 AM
It is very liberating to "release" that number. Suddenly it has less power over us.

kaplods
05-19-2008, 12:16 AM
I have never really understood why the number mattered. If you look great, what difference does the number make, and if you're fat, again what difference does the number make. It's not like I can pretend that I'm 100 lbs smaller or that no one will suspect I'm fat unless I tell them the number.

I don't mind sharing my weight. It's not like I walk up to strangers and say "Hi, I'm Colleen, I weigh 346 lbs," but I have found it very liberating to be able to discuss my weight and my weight loss struggles as if it were just any other normal topic, because it IS, or at least should be.

I think it's horrible that weight, weight loss efforts, diet, exercise... are often such "secret" topics. Is it any wonder that weight loss is so difficult when it's not supposed to be discussed in polite company. When if you're fat, you're not supposed to be seen exercising, or (gasp) even worse engaged in a fun active lifestyle (swimming, dancing, bicycling, even walking... (horror of horrors) in public.

I am fat.

nolachick
05-19-2008, 12:56 AM
interesting topic--
Now that I am losing weight I don't mind telling people how much I weigh (people don't usually ask though), but I NEVER would have before. I know the number is only moving downwards so it's just my current weight for the next few days/weeks and will soon be lower.

denialisnthappiness
05-19-2008, 03:44 AM
LOL - You have done a WONDERFUL job losing 85 lbs. You SHOULD be proud of your accomplishment.

I tell anyone that asks how much I weigh. I tell them exactly how much I have lost, and what my starting weight was. Anyone that knows me, knows that I was obese. It wasn't a secret, it was very visible to everyone that met me.

Celebrate your success, and congrats on your walking regime. That is AWESOME!

Same here! The thing that I find hard though is that people look at me when I say I have over 20lbs still to lose and I get the normal 'you look fine' 'you don't need to lose anymore!' blah blah etc

Since when has it become the norm for people to still be overweight and for that to be fine :?: No wonder we're facing problems with our health as a society :(

Pandora123a
05-19-2008, 03:51 AM
I have finally told my husband how much I weigh...that was hard! (Although not an issue for him.)

I find that the more I talk numbers the more I get caught up in them. I don't tell my weight or how much I have lost. I'm really trying to focus on being okay with myself and enjoying other things rather than the numbers. (I should say that when I am at my most obsessive I can get on the scale several times a day...perhaps that is why I try to stay away from specific numbers with others.)

The important thing is how I look and feel. I have a skinny sister, and was stunned to find out that she weighed about 20 pounds more than I would have guessed...and no one would think she is one bit overweight, including her doctors!

We get so caught up in numbers...

Pandora

barbygirl43
05-19-2008, 12:14 PM
It doesn't bother me to tell people how much I now weigh nor how much I started it. It never has. It's a number on the scale. I try to not let it define who I am.

Jen415
05-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Ya know, I would say a good majority of folks who ask me my number I would tell. Like Colleen, I don't volunteer it, but if someone is really THAT interested, may as well share!

It also has kind of a good shock factor. Folks I have chosen to disclose to have said, "Really? I would not have guessed that you weighed that much!" Plus folks that know me have seen me do my ballroom dancing, and they are amazed at how graceful a 300+ lb woman can be!!

CandyKisses0204
05-19-2008, 12:53 PM
Wow, that is so great. I wish i had the courage and confidence to tell people how much i weigh. The only people are the doctor, people who weigh me at the gym, and all the great people here. I love that atleast here i dont have to hide my weight or how much i want to lose. Good Job!

Nada
05-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Wow--such brave folks on this board. I'm not there yet, but I'm a very private person.

Apple Cheeks
05-19-2008, 01:23 PM
Oh, I used to tell people how much I weighed if they asked, but I always shaved about 20-30 pounds off the true number! :sssh:

Now, I'm actually at the weight I used to tell people I weighed.

Smiling_Sara
05-19-2008, 01:35 PM
I so wish I could tell ppl, I don't think the number defines who I am, but I do feel shame from it. ( the number ) I think my weight has kept me from experiencing a lot of things women my age have experienced.

November2007
05-19-2008, 01:35 PM
I have a hard time letting people know. I finally told my best friend, who has also struggled with her weight---so that wasn't so hard. My little mom finally pryed it out of me----after years and years of trying. She reacted well, I expected to feel some sort of scare from her, because it was so much---but she said that it was about what she thought. It felt like a big release to tell her. My husband on the other hand still does not know. I don't think it would make an iota of a difference, but I'm still keeping it to me----at least for now. I think when I get down to a few pounds less than he is, then I will tell him.

kaplods
05-19-2008, 02:13 PM
I've never understood the logic of shaving off a few digits off either weight or age. I guess I always thought people could tell anyway, so I thought lying would make me look like an idiot.

I've often joked that when I get old enough to be tempted to lie about my age, I am going to lie up, so that people tell me I look so much younger, rather than suspect I am lying or think I look horrible for my age.

I've never been tempted to lie up about my weight, but I think that's because whenever I disclose my weight, I'm inevitably met with disbelief "no, you can't weight that much."

I used to think this meant that I carried my weight well, and looked good for my size. Now, I wonder if it's because so many people shave off a few, that no one knows what "real" weights look like.

It reminds me of reading Camryn Manheim's book, Wake Up, I'm Fat! When she talks about being turned down for a role because she wasn't fat enough - the producers wanted someone "like over 200 lbs." At the time Camryn's weight was 250 or more.

dek6
05-19-2008, 04:49 PM
I used to not want even my husband to know how much I weigh. But I realized that if I want to lose weight and be successful then I need to be 100% completely honest. And that includes telling everyone how much I weigh. I can not hide behind my weight anymore. Its not like if I tell someone the number I weigh they are going to be like OMG you are fat. They can tell that by looking at me. LOL So I might as well not be ashamed of it. I weigh 236 and I am doing something about it. It was hard to say it the first time I did to my friends and husband but once I did I felt a certain kind of freedom. :D

Teacher2B
05-19-2008, 05:32 PM
I don't particularly like to say my weight. Right now, only 3 people know how much do I weight; my doctor, my boyfriend and my sister (she read my eating plan; that's why she knows, as I don't want to tell). This is the most overweight I've ever been, and I'm quite ashamed of having reached that weight.
I will probably say how much I weight after I loose at least 10ks, although I'm not sure.

Pandora123a
05-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Isn't it funny...my driver's license reads 140 pounds...which is about 10 pounds less than I weighed at 16 when I first got a driver's licence! I've never changed it. The folks at the driver's license bureau changed my hair color to blonde (I still say it is light brown) but no one has ever questioned the 140.

Pandora

Teacher2B
05-19-2008, 07:02 PM
I really find strange the fact that driver licences in the US have so many personal data. In my country, driver licenses, apart of basic data ( name, birthday, ID number, place where you got it, day when you got it and expiration date), only says whether you uses glasses or not and whether you use a hearing aid. No weight!!!! In fact, I don't think that any of our documents include that kind of data (although I'm not totally sure about passports, as I don't have one).
Of course, you'll find strange that our documents are so scarce with respect to personal information.

chubbypenguin
05-19-2008, 07:14 PM
It is the worst question in the world. I had this discussion with my class (fifth grade) the other day. They were asking how old I was (im 26) and one of the boys in the back shouted out "It's rude to ask a lady her age!"

I couldnt help it I laughed out loud, which was immediately followed by someone else yelling "My mother told me to never as a girl how much she weighs" and yet a third (a girl) yelling "I weigh 89 lbs!" I laughed so hard that I cried. But was seriously relieved no one dared to ask me that! :o

Of course in the end one little girl who is just the sweetest said "It doesnt matter how old someone is or what the weigh it is if they have a pretty smile!":D

Boomcha
05-19-2008, 09:35 PM
The only people to ever ask me have been medical professionals. I've never thought about what to respond if anyone asked...I'd probably stammer in disbelief, then make a joke and change the subject!

The most public I've been about my actual number is right here :cool:

Very liberating! We'll see if I ever get beyond that hehehe.

Teacher2B
05-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Didn't you melt when she said that? I think that those things are a teacher's best reward. :)

lupin
05-20-2008, 07:50 PM
My mum hasn't known how much I've weighed since I was about 6 years old, and thats the way I like it. If she was to know I'd only get horrible/sarcastic comments every time she sees me eating anything. grrrr living at home

chubbypenguin
05-21-2008, 07:35 PM
I was inspired today to say my weight outloud. I said it to two people. It is very liberating. I will say it here too.....I weigh 275 lbs!

Jolly Molly
05-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Nobody has ever asked me how much I weigh and I'm not sure exactly how I would handle it if they did... but I feel fairly certain I woudln't be honest.:( After reading these posts I think that's something I need to work on. Only recently have I been able to refer to the obvious fact that I'm obese around people who aren't. And I still get a strange feeling like I'm making everyone uncomfortable as if I'm mentioning something that shouldn't be discussed in polite company.

wisher
05-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Sometimes I like to tell people how much I weigh! For example just last week a few of us were having a discussion about men who are attracted to "large" women and one of my male coworkers commented "I couldn't imagine being with a woman who weighs 200 lbs!" to which I frankly told him how much I weigh (197), he looked shocked and said "there's no way you weigh that much!" I've gotten that reaction a lot, I'm a size 12 which is quite average by today's standards and when people guess my weight they usually say around 160.

On a side note I don't like to tell people who much I used to weigh at my highest (250) because I'm very embarrassed by that number and that I let myself get up that high.

BeckyC104
05-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Anymore, I'll tell my friends and family. I wouldn't tell random people I just work with, or something.

I had a sudden awakening a few years ago (crossing 40 is so liberating) when it was about 106 degrees outside and I didn't want to put on a tank top, because of the whole upper arm thing. It was just too hot not too, though, and then I went to my sister's house. My skinny sister said, "oh, I love that top on you." which was great!

It was like I believed that if people couldn't see my upper arms, they wouldn't know I was fat. :-) Goofy.

matt_H
05-22-2008, 11:59 PM
Isn't it funny...my driver's license reads 140 pounds...which is about 10 pounds less than I weighed at 16 when I first got a driver's licence! I've never changed it. The folks at the driver's license bureau changed my hair color to blonde (I still say it is light brown) but no one has ever questioned the 140.

Pandora

Most people just can't judge weight very well. If I asked a random sample of people to guess my weight, I bet it would be all over the map!

matt_H
05-23-2008, 12:03 AM
I was inspired today to say my weight outloud. I said it to two people. It is very liberating. I will say it here too.....I weigh 275 lbs!

It is liberating! Your weight shouldn't define who you are or the person you are, its just a number. Its usefull only to measure progress, but as a single point in time it has no value whatsover.

Hope1974
05-23-2008, 12:26 AM
I gladly tell people. It keeps me in check. It's also liberating when people confess back what they weigh. I don't feel so alone out there.