Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-17-2008, 01:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 231/ticker/176

Height: 5' 10.5"

Default feling sick after exercise

Hello, everyone

my cardio of choice is stationary bike, and I try to do 1 hour sessions, but I don't know when to do it

I'm not a morning person, and it would be very hard to wake up at 6am to do my routine on empty stomach (which is the best, acc to various sources).
I would like to exercise about 8pm, but the last couple of times I did it, I felt great for about 20mins after exercise, but then I started to feel like I'm going to throw up and I had to go to sleep because I couldn't do nothing but lie down on the couch

I was careful to exercise 3 hours after I ate, and I didn't eat anything afterwards.

is there anyone with the same problem? any advice would be appreciated
OolongFormosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by OolongFormosa View Post

I'm not a morning person, and it would be very hard to wake up at 6am to do my routine on empty stomach (which is the best, acc to various sources).
I would like to exercise about 8pm, but the last couple of times I did it, I felt great for about 20mins after exercise, but then I started to feel like I'm going to throw up and I had to go to sleep because I couldn't do nothing but lie down on the couch

I was careful to exercise 3 hours after I ate, and I didn't eat anything afterwards.

is there anyone with the same problem? any advice would be appreciated
I have a problem with the bolded part. Many people feel better when they exercise after eating. Not a heavy meal mind you but a good size snack. Do what works for you. I used to get up and grab a banana and a slice of toast before my workouts and those were probably some of my best days. I personally don't think time of day matters nearly as much as when you will do it the most consistently.

I have no clue about why you would feel sick after your workouts at 8pm. Make sure you are well hydrated and maybe have a small snack afterwards. Some cheese, yogurt or something else with some protein maybe? Hope someone with more experience comes along to help.
zinkemomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:16 PM   #3  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

I agree with zinkemom. You should always eat something no more than an hour before you exercise. You still burn the same number of calories and you have available blood sugar to support you throughout the workout. That being said, I know some people feel sick if they eat too close to a really intense workout. I have something small that's a mix of carbs and protein (ie smoothie with yogurt, milk and berries).

How intensely are you exercising? I've had a few occasions where I'm really going hard and come close to throwing up. It happens rarely and only if it's very intense (ie: heart rate at ~ 100% of max for several minutes). I also can get nauseous if I haven't eaten enough during the day (and I'm exercising really hard) and my blood sugar is too low. That's definitely my number one cause of nausea. I think you should either eat closer to your meal (or eat a small snack right before and then your larger meal after you workout to avoid getting cramps) and see how you feel. An hour is a long time and if you haven't eaten for 3 hours you're probably running on empty. You don't have any immediate source of fuel (blood sugar) for you body to use. Sugar is a quick source of fuel for the body, whereas fat takes significantly longer to mobilize. I really think you need something small to give your body the energy to make it through those long workouts.

And I agree with staying hydrated as well. I drink water before and after and take sips throughout the workout so I don't feel sick. Good luck!
rockstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 231/ticker/176

Height: 5' 10.5"

thank you for your answers

now, when I think about it, if I exercise on an empty stomach, when I'm very hungry, then it's bad. I'll try to eat something before workout, and then see how it's working out for me

I'm still not exercising on a daily basis, I'm trying to find out what routine will suit me best

could the problem be in drinking too much water? I usually drink 1.5 liter during workout

zinker - working out in the morning on an empty stomach feels good for me, but the problem is that I can't get up very early to exercise
I assumed that I got sick because I ate before, but I made sure it was at least 2 hours past my last meal. I never thought that I may be hungry
OolongFormosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Wow, 1.5 liters during your workout seems a bit high. Maybe it's just me. I usually down a 20 oz bottle while I'm working out. I feel pretty hydrated, but I don't feel the need to barf afterwards...
Hopefully someone knows more about this than I do, lol!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

I often will drink 32+oz of water during an hour long walk/jog.
zinkemomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote