Weight and Resistance Training - Lift and Chat: May 16 - 31, 2008

View Full Version : Lift and Chat: May 16 - 31, 2008

Mel
05-15-2008, 08:19 PM
It's a little early, but I wanted to start the thread with this great picture of two liftin' ladies :)

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/5623/lydiaandmelsmallnoredeyye7.jpg
We are strong! :strong:

Look at Lydia's great arms and smile :hug:

Have a good night :D

Mel

elisa822
05-15-2008, 08:25 PM
Wow!!! I am not worthy. You guys look amazing.

:D

srmb60
05-15-2008, 08:42 PM
Fess up now ... how many of you ran to a mirror???

I am not even in your league. Whew! What an awesome duo!

.... is there a bowing smilie?

Lifeguard
05-15-2008, 08:42 PM
Great pic! How much weight is on that bar?

Mel
05-15-2008, 08:49 PM
We were showing off- and could barely curl it. 135 pounds.

I think I need a new sports bra :o

nelie
05-15-2008, 08:56 PM
You guys look awesome! I'm jealous :)

sportmom
05-15-2008, 10:14 PM
OK, I have to ask, what kind of body fat do you have to have to have visible muscle like that? Yes, I'm asking you to share your current bf% cuz YOU BOTH LOOK HOT!!!! I'd like to have goal to shoot for!!

jamsk8r
05-15-2008, 11:02 PM
Mel and Lydia, you ladies look great! You look like you'd whip up on that scrawny Terminator chick! Where's the "shock, awe" smiley? Who's in charge, here?!

Okay, I'd better quit dinking around on the computer and get my workout in before I turn into a pumpkin, which wasn't too far back on the road, though I've graduated to more of an eggplant shape these days, so that's progress. ;)

Mel
05-16-2008, 08:15 AM
I should have posted this picture with it. We only look like hulks when we're lifting something heavy! Here's a totally "unflexed" picture.

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/9230/melandlydianaturalpg7.jpg

Fran- I haven't had my body fat measured in a long time. The lowest I've ever gotten was 16% and I was a LOT leaner then. My best guess is around 18-19%. Measurements were always done with a 9 point caliper test. As long as I like the way my clothes fit and the way I look, I just don't care about the raw numbers anymore. It's made me a lot less crazy to focus on behavior instead of numbers :crazy:

Lydia- Hope you don't mind that I posted these. I had so much fun with you :hug:

Food has been on track since my Monday pity party. Cardio done. I'm about to go and do a short workout before I take my son to the doctor, then head to work late.

Have a good one!

Mel

Lydia227
05-16-2008, 10:51 AM
OMG. :o Thanks for all of the great compliments ladies! :goodvibes:

SusanB and Elisa: You certainly are in our league! You would be surprised what your own muscles look like under stress. :D

Midwife: I could hear your squeal all the way over here in Columbus, Ohio. I did the same thing when I looked into the tiny frame of my camera and saw this picture. I think I may have embarrassed myself as well as anyone around me. (I'm a rather quiet and unassuming person at the gym. Unless its a grunt no one really hears much out of me. ;) ) But it was the first time I had seen myself in this way. Ever! Yeah, I was pretty excited. My goal was never to develop definition nor a little mass. I had never hoped for anything such as that when I began. My whole focus was upon just becoming healthy but a welcomed by product. I showed these pics to my 84 year old grandmother last weekend. She sucked in her breathe and said, "Oh, now, I just don't know if you outta be doin' that." Course she also thought I should be wearing socks with my sandals and pointed out that my ankles look like they are retaining a little "water." :faint: But I love her anyway.

Fran: I really don't know my BF%. I'm not sure I want to know. I did have it done electronically last spring and it was around 24 to 25%. I think. Anyway, I was much leaner as the summer continued. This winter my composition changed for the worse after my bilateral knee scoping. ;) So I'm kind of on my way back now. The gym is offering a BF analysis through water displacement on June 7th. Two things. It's totally submersion and I hate to hold my breathe under water, and it's the same day that I turn 40. I'm toying with the idea but I'm not sure I really want to know. :o As far as comparing this photo shot with a specific BF% I want to share something with you. I think that me at a specific % is going to be different than someone else at that same level. I really don't carry my weight above my waist. I may have collarbones now and it's easier for me to see definition in my pecs, shoulders, waist, but I am really small chested. Eh, it's a tradeoff. I do love it though that I can throw on a sports bra and run like a maniac if I want without anything getting in the way. However, sometimes its a bummer when shopping for a nice dress. It just doesn't look the way it was intended by the designer. :lol3: The other downside of this is that all of my weight is in my hips and thighs. Look at the photo again. Who is wearing pants. There is a reason...I've got work to do yet.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the pics Mel. I'm glad you put our unflexed photo up too. I think that it is important for other women who may be interested in lifting but uncertain about all of the myths of bulking up that you really don't look that way unless you are under a load and working. The rest of the time, I think we all look pretty ahem, dare I say, "toned". :p

Have a great morning everyone! :wave:

zinkemomx2
05-16-2008, 11:25 AM
Thank you so much for posting the unflexed photo. I showed DH the bulked looking one and said that is what I wanna look like when I grow up. He said no way. (I think he was just a little scared, lol.) You guys look great!

Lifeguard
05-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Great photos. I personally love the "bulked up" look. My greatest wish is to one day have some real muscle showing. I'm never gonna be tiny so if people are going to say "Wow - she's huge!" I'd rather it be for my bulging bicep then my giant belly - lol!!!

Here is a link to an article written by one of the trainers I was seeing before I moved: http://www.ultimatefitnessgyms.com/articles/article/5128174/95955.htm that some of you might find interesting/fun to read. Her & I were chatting afterwards & she said, yeah, I had to vent - I'm soooo sick of hearing women who can barely lift the 10lbs dumbbell worry that they don't want to bulk up! Have you seen how hard Paul (her husband) works to put on a lb of muscle?!

Anyway, I had a good walk with the dogs this morning & I'm going to head out in a minute here for the gym. I "went" to the gym last night but ended up stopping at a department store & never making it to the gym! And I didn't even end up finding any of the things I had gone in for! Ridiculous!

kaw
05-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Great photos, Mel & Lydia! Your guns rock!

I must say that Mel doesn't look how I pictured her. I think I must have been channeling the avatar, although I know that it's, well, an avatar.

Not much to report. Crazy busy all the way through next week. In fact, I think I have four meetings on my 30-tenth birthday. Whazzup wit dat?

Be strong,
Kim

Meg
05-16-2008, 03:53 PM
That's the cool thing about Mel -- she looks like she would be perfectly at home discussing the crisis in the derivatives market or the correct temperature to serve Port, then she loads up a barbell with 300 pounds and does squats. Appearances can be deceptive! :lol:

EofAZ
05-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Wow.

midwife
05-16-2008, 06:14 PM
I am so so impressed. Wowsas!!! I get to meet Meg next weekend and we have been PM'ing about how high these pictures set the bar! I am not worthy!! I love it!!!!!

Lydia, your Grandmother's comments crack me up. I love how weight-lifting redefines women---both literally and metaphoricly. I picked up for my little guy a shirt today that says "I got my muscles from my Dad." I pouted in the store, "Why don't they have a shirt that says he got his muscles from his mom?"

Without missing a beat, my 15 year old daughter says, "But that would imply he has great muscles." :lol: I bought the shirt.

High fives all around, ladies!

sportmom
05-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Ooo, love the before photo as well. Thanks for posting that one too! Amazing the difference - you guys are little hulksters who run around the grocery stores pushing your carts incognito, don't you? Until it comes time to lift the watermelon from the botton shelf!!

JerseyGirl69
05-16-2008, 07:00 PM
Lifeguard, looking forward to reading that. I sometimes worry about bulking, mostly because non-lifters share their fear and it pervades my thinking.

ANd when I'm curling 35lb single bicep, doing 70lb stair climbers, etc., yeah, I worry. But I'll tell you, I'd rather have guns like that woman in Terminator than flabby arms that wave back at me.

I once was training with K and a prospect came up to her and asked about getting a stomach like hers (flat as a board) but said "but not the arms. I don't want to look like a man"...like you was implied. K hears it all the time, but it would sour my ego, it doesn't hers. Anyway, I'd rather look strong and fit AND be capable of whatever, than be like a bird who could break under the pressure.

So...my story today is that my trainer told me how much she looks forward to our sessions. She also reitterated similar thoughts to a friend that I referred to her. Gotta say, it's nice to be liked, as opposed to the antagonism I feel from my old trainer.

ANyway, I think she just loves seeing what these legs can do. We add and add and add weights and I ... still can ; )

Lydia227
05-16-2008, 08:32 PM
Midwife: I saw that very shirt in Target today too. I kind of had a humpf moment as well. I like how your daughter thinks.

Have a great time with your workout with Meg. I'm sure you ladies will have a blast! And I'm requesting pics this time! Don't worry about the bar being set. I still remember Meg's back shot from a few months back. Burned in my memory forever. ;)

Fran: :chin: Supermarket workouts, could this be a spinoff from the Supermarket diet a couple of years ago. Curling watermelons and squat pressing the extra large bags of kitty litter.

JG: Everyone has their own idea of beauty and how they wish/want their bodies to conform to that image. However, the idea that one could get a lean six pack and not lean out even a little bit to reveal definition in the arms is really a reflection of how much the prospective clients has to learn about diet and exercise. Honestly for me though it's not so much about a "look." I'm just taking care of myself and enjoy the process. :chin: Well, with the exception of the thighs. :lol3: Really though, the alternative for me is simply to gain excess bodyfat and at 5'2"" it a lot less feminine than the little definition I may have acquired in the upper body.

nelie
05-17-2008, 08:31 AM
I have to say it annoys me that someone would think that a woman should look like she has no muscles. Really, are muscles only for men? Whoever thought that? Shapeless arms are much less attractive than arms with at least some definition.

I have to say I've had muscle lust from a very young age. My mom had a friend when I was young named Sheila. Sheila had very defined arms and was very strong. I was a fat kid but I'd always ask Sheila to pick me up and she gladly would. I was majorly impressed when she did. I told my mom that I wanted to be like Sheila. (This was when I was around 10 and probably over 200 lbs)

I have a big TV that I exercise in front of and in the mornings before work, I won't watch tv (it distracts me too much). So I'll see my reflection in the tv and it amazes me at the muscle definition of arms/shoulders that I can see in the reflection while I'm working with heavy weights. I want to see that all the time :)

So Mel (and Meg and now Lydia) are my role models :)

srmb60
05-17-2008, 08:46 AM
Nope, I tried it at the gym yesterday and I don't look like that. Ya think it has something to do with all my extra %seses of BF :devil:

I had my first embarrasing gym moment. A friend of DH's came to help me get the centre weight off the leg press. :o I got it on there :o

Gym Owner rearranged me on the peck dec yesterday too. Man, that feels better!

Mel
05-17-2008, 11:38 AM
Ah, Leg day here. My friend W and I did a good old school workout. It was guest day at the gym and mobbed. There are people out there doing some pretty bizarre things. I think they were all escapees from body pump classes.

My new exercise of the week turned out to be a dreadful idea. Backsquat to overhead press: do not try this! The first few reps are fine and hit some new muscles in the upper back, but when you start to get tired, it gets really dangerous. The first time I whomped my neck was my last rep. Luckily it only bruised me. I can see that as a true neck breaker exercise.

Food is on track.

My Little black Dress still looks spray painted on me!:o

Mel

4rabbit
05-17-2008, 12:44 PM
Hi LWL,

MEL, LYDIA, these are AWESOME pictures!!! Talking about butnin an imprint on my retinas! I want to look like that!

Unfortunately I have been backsliding over the past 2 years, I gained back everything that I lost during my diveorce, and I am steadily gaining weight at the rate of 2 pounds per 3 months. One would think that with such a tiny amount I must be able to put the balancce just the other way round... if I do the maths that works out at about 80 calories a day, for 2 years.

I guess this means I am close to maintianing, but i am on the wrong side off the line.

I'm brooding over this,
Rabbit

WaterRat
05-17-2008, 03:04 PM
Loved the photos Mel and Lydia! Nice to see your smiling faces and your awesome arms. :lol: Can't wait to see midwife and Meg too! I know I have decent muscle definition (not so much as M&L, but there) but I'm not sure I'll ever be rid of the underarm flap. Too heavy too long and too old. But I'm not letting it stop me. I love being strong. Now can you stop this stupid arthritis in my fingers????

wkgirl
05-17-2008, 06:06 PM
Hello! :wave:
Those are amazing pics! Such a big difference! You two are my heroes!

Im back on 3fc, its been a while. :blush:
I'm having some issues with exercising though....currently I am going to Curves (signed up with a friend, and only wanted to do a month or two, but because of miscommunication, am signed up for a year) Now, I enjoy Curves for the camaraderie, the incentives to get to the gym, and the ease of having my workout done in 3o min or so, but I dont think I will continue to lose weight and get toned being there for a year....(iam working the machines quite hard already to get a 'burn')
Usually, I like to get my cardio through playing sports (basketball, soccer) (and I DO like to lift weights...but need a set routine) but have a healing sprained ankle right now, and am trying to be good and let it recover....so I have been walking my dogs....and going to Curves.
I do have free weights at home, but getting my workout there seems very hard, with all the distractions around (hubby, kids, pets, chores, etc.) and I dont know if i can have a membership at 2 gyms....
Any thoughts? I really want to continue on my 'shrinking' journey this time...last time I was on B.F.Life and was doing well until I was pregnant, then everything kinda 'slipped'.
I am so impressed with some of you I see have been at this for a long time, and met your goals! :bravo:
have a great weekend!
Karla :df:

sportmom
05-17-2008, 06:32 PM
Wow, look at how much traffic those photos have driven to this thread!

Nelie, can you get dh to take a photo of your lifting arms? Would love to see them. You can lob off your head if you don't have hair/makeup done. ;)

Meg & Mid, I second the request for photos.

Mel...... guest day at the gym and you didn't tell Nelie and me? Oh, the hurt feelings :cry: lol

Lydia227
05-17-2008, 08:44 PM
Hi Karla :wave:

I really can't workout at home for the same reasons you mentioned. Man, the moment the washing machine stops spinning from it's final rinse cycle I'm busting down the stairs...and the constant blood curdling "MMMMOOOMMMM!

If the Curves workout is no longer effective there should be some way that they could allow you to terminate the membership. I really don't know a lot about this though since I've never had to go through that.

If you are going to be working out at home with the free weights then I would suggest doing a full body workout with the dumbbells you already have. Maybe you could supplement your Curves workout with the dumbbells once you return home? It does seem kind of crazy though to have to do a workout after a workout though. :crazy: In any case, I would not do the Curves circuit one day and then the dumbbells at home the next day because you should have 48 hours of rest between sessions for your muscle tissue to repair.

Currently, many of us are reading/following the New Rules of Lifting for Women. Check your public library to see if it is available to you. I did purchase a copy for myself. The binding is broken with all of my highlighting and personal notations if that tells you anything. I found the material supported a lot of what I had learned from a lot of other different sources. The full body compound type exercises are quick and effective in case you do want to use them as an "add on" at home.

If you have questions about form or if anything about the material is unclear feel free to ask us here. We might be able to shed some light or share with you how we have interpreted the book/movement.

If you are unable to join a gym you may still with to hire a personal trainer for a couple of sessions just to have another set of eyes check you form. This way you are learning the most effective way to target that muscle and you are less likely to practice the same mistake repeatedly.

Enjoy the process and best of luck through your shrinking journey.

Fran: We have to organize a gathering where we can all workout together. We are going to need a place where we can impose for a couple of hours just for the workout alone.

SusanB: You did not stand there in front of the mirror at the gym and strike a pose did you?!:lol3: You are too cool. Don't worry about the embarrassing gym moment. We all have them. It's a right of passage. See if we could all get together to chat in the same place at once we could spend hours just on these less than graceful moments alone. Mine had to do with binder clips and a treadmill two rows ahead of me. Don't ask. Please. Oh, and another one was when I was exhaling during a deadlift and spewed my gym three feet across the room. :doh: When I'm really fatigued I trip on the carpeting as well. :dunno:

Mel: Funny you should mention a backsquat to an overhead press movement. Yep, I was inspired to try this on Wednesday. I stood there with it resting on my back and thought :chin: down and then push straight up through the back.

NOT. I just wasn't too keen on bludgeoning the back of my head just in case I couldn't do it. Your right, somethings just shouldn't be tried at home.

No workout today. I spent from 9:30am through 6:30pm gardening. Weed, dig, plant, scoot...Weed, dig, plant, scoot... Looks nice though. The sooner its all done the sooner I can get back into the gym with a clear conscience that my domestic duties have been met. :s:

drop20
05-17-2008, 09:32 PM
Ok, so Lydia started working on me today to get in here and see all the comments. It's taken me awhile. You know, lot of important things to do... :dance:

I have to say that I'm impressed by the deep sense of community here. I can tell you that this kind of support is rare in... "The World of Men."

Of course, men are not very bright so perhaps this is to be expected.

As Lydia's husband, I have to say that all those people (men and women) who have issues with ladies who lift have no idea what they're talking about. Just look at Lydia and Mel's faces? Don't they look so happy?!

I have a cutout of Lydia from that picture on my desktop and I've shown it to all my friends. I tell them, "[I]That is my wife! Isn't she hot?!"

sportmom
05-17-2008, 09:52 PM
Nice hearing from you Mr. Lydia. Too bad you had to do "childwatch" and weren't able to join the Ohio workout fest yourself! ;)

JerseyGirl69
05-18-2008, 05:56 AM
Well, it's not quite 6am here on a Sunday and I'm in a bad mood.

Yesterday we had a family thing--party for a first communion. I have to admit, I didn't give thought this time to "people will notice the weight loss". At 25lbs I heard some notice it, and 35lbs, "you look good".

Yesterday, my cousin said, "How much have you lost." I smiled and said a lot. Here's where it got uncomfortable. "No, how much." A lot. She continued, so I caved, told her the amount (50) and she had to follow that up with "keep going. don't stop there." Um, I don't find that encouraging. I find that suggesting my value is in my appearance. I'm going because I like what I'm doing and it's good for me, not because how I look is all I have.

I have to insert here that my cousin is 115lbs, 5'3", flat stomach after 4 children, eats a humongous amount of food, and only does ballet 3x a week. Yes, ballet is great exercise, but I'm just saying her 3 hrs of ballet to my 12 hours in the gym? Come on.

So for the last 16 hours this has stayed with me because I feel the amount doesn't matter, people don't know how to offer a compliment, and then they feel they need to offer you advice. I had to explain--no, I learned I'd been severely undereating for years and had to learn to eat more, plus I cut out sugar and starches (people went aghast with that--"I couldn't do that!" Yeah, well, you don't have my body.).

I just didn't like the pushing to know the number...I have even strangers at the gym run up to me and ask. Yes, I know that it somehow comes out of support, that they are so curious because they know it's not easy, but they never do it right.

If I want to share the lbs # with you, I will...but it was clear I didn't want to.

My mom, in her pride, shared the 50lb success with her best friend and then realized the friend was trying to figure out what I weighed. None of her business.

I'm done with sharing the # (except online). It's no one's business. Even when they force the issue--this is the stuff that does a number on my head. I am not my weight. And you know, go look at the pics on my blog--they make me feel like I'm ugly as is, like I was hideous before and still am. I don't see that in the mirror. Never have.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to have a retort that puts them in their place, like "Wow, that's awfully personal! But it's a lot." or "I don't really focus on the lbs, lbs don't matter regarding fitness."

I have training at 9. I'm going to have to abuse those poor weights to get this out of my system.

srmb60
05-18-2008, 10:05 AM
Well Lydia, yes I struck a pose. Doesn't everyone?
I'm always a little shocked that I still look like me after three weeks back at the weights!

Back to real life ... I did an awesome glute day yesterday (courtesy Oxygen Mag). I'm soooo lovely and sore this morning!

Mel
05-18-2008, 10:37 AM
Hi Mr. Lydia :wave: I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you during our sweat fest last week in Columbus, but thank you for doing childcare duty so that I could meet your wonderful wife!

JG- My extended family still does the same thing to me after almost 7 years. Most people do NOT understand the difference between scale weight and fitness, not the hard work that goes into maintaining a fit body. Realistically, my advice is to just grow a thicker skin and I see no problem with the answer "Not really sure...I don't weight myself. I've completely changed the way I eat and workout a lot." Most people will glaze over when you start talking about the nitty gritty details, anyway, in my experience.

Lydia- I can't believe you tried the back squat press combo the same time I did :lol3: It's ok (for me) with an empty bar, but I sure wasn't thinking as clearly as you were when I loaded it up!

Hi Karla :wave: I don't know about negotiating your way out of a Curves contract. I think they are pretty iron clad. If it's not stressing your muscles, why not think of it as a 30 minute cardio workout, then supplement with weights at home s Lydia suggested?

Hi Fran, Rabbit, Pat, Nelie and Susan :wave:

Mel

WaterRat
05-18-2008, 01:36 PM
Karle - I did the same thing with Curves a few years back. At the time there was NO other gym within a 1/2 hour drive (now there are 3! and Curves) so I joined when they opened. I soon was not getting anymore out of the machines - I just couldn't push them fast enough to get the resistance I needed and still maintain my form. So I did as Mel suggested - counted it as mainly a cardio workout. I did end up not finishing out the year as the gym I had been going to reopened. I had other non-exercise related problems with Curves, mostly the staff and the level of (un)cleanliness. They've since built a new building, and I know lots of folks who go there and enjoy it. Glad it works for them. I prefer the gym.

It's finally spring here, and it should be nice enough this afternoon for some outdoor cardio! Yay!

Lifeguard
05-18-2008, 04:51 PM
JG - How about: "I'm not sure, but yesterday I squatted Xlbs!". I think most people just wouldn't know what to do with that & move on.

It's interesting how it takes different amounts of weight for people to notice. Honestly - at 70lbs down I've had barely anyone notice. Kind of depressing really - lol!

drop20
05-18-2008, 06:10 PM
Nice hearing from you Mr. Lydia. Too bad you had to do "childwatch" and weren't able to join the Ohio workout fest yourself! ;)

Hi, Sportmom! Oh, watching DS2 is no chore for me. He and I get into lots of trouble! Much better than sitting in meetings!!

Hi Mr. Lydia :wave: I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you during our sweat fest last week in Columbus, but thank you for doing childcare duty so that I could meet your wonderful wife!

My pleasure, Mel! She was so happy afterwards... Well, you can see from the picture that she had a good time.

Next time you're here you can come to my gym (Staufs coffee shop) and split a cinnamon roll with me. :doh:

Lifeguard
05-18-2008, 10:17 PM
It seems that dropping the supersets is going to work for me. Definitely decrease the intensity allowing me to keep up with the same weights. Thank goodness - the nausea after workouts was getting old - lol! Now I just need to remember to allot more time for these stretched out workouts - I had to finish early today 'cause the gym was closing.

sportmom
05-18-2008, 10:57 PM
LG - I've been watching your ticker - did you have your gender u/s yet?

Lifeguard
05-19-2008, 06:54 AM
I did actually - didn't change the ticker though - lol. It's a boy! I honestly could see nothing - she tried to point it out but it just looked like a little white bit to me - lol.

Mel
05-19-2008, 07:27 AM
Happy Monday :p

I couldn't sleep last night so today will be a cranky day. Cardio on VERY sore legs was just peachy!

Chest and back today at the gym. I'm trying to mix things up more.

Have a good one!

Mel

nelie
05-19-2008, 09:25 AM
This weekend was busy busy busy. Saturday, we went to the zoo and walked, walked and walked some more. Sunday, we went to a charity event for the local animal shelter. There was a small walk involved there which was fun. Later on, I did workout 1B with kettlebells mixed in while watching the season 2 finale of Buffy. (I am sad though, I think the show goes downhill from season 2 but I have all 7 seasons, so we'll see) I am happily sore today :)

Food this weekend wasn't that great but it was enjoyable. We went to a falafel place on Saturday which was soo good, eating fried food isn't my norm even though it wasn't greasy, it was a bit of a splurge. I expect this week to be full of clean food though.

Lydia227
05-19-2008, 02:38 PM
I remember falafels. When DH was a vegetarian I ate those a lot. Along with the hummus, olives, feta... :hungry:

I had intentions of hitting the gym this morning. My clothes were on the counter waiting for me. While in the shower I decided that I would take advantage of the fact that I only have two days left of preschool for DS2 so I would go shopping instead. :devil: Guess what I found. RED SANDALS. These are going to be my fun summer shoe this year. I just am not sure what to wear them with. There red, so anything I want right.:lol3:

Anyway, got to buzz. Hope everyone is having a great day and did better about getting in their workout than I did.

sportmom
05-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Lydia - I TOTALLY agree with you on that choice! No doubt! In fact, I probably would have totally used it to my advantage even more! Lunch with dh maybe or something else!

frogguruami
05-19-2008, 04:42 PM
Hello everyone, May I join??

I am fairly new to the board.

I am currently doing Warp Speed Fat Loss but will return to New Rules of Lifting after it is over. (Haven't decided if I will return to the original of women's version though)

I am also quite a fan of kettlebells.

Lydia227
05-19-2008, 07:25 PM
:welcome: Frogguruami!

Congratulations on your thirty pound loss! I've read both versions of New Rules but only purchased New Rules for Women. I've lost the cover to the book, the binding is broken and the pages are covered with highlighter marks. It's a much loved book. :goodvibes:

I've never lifted kettlebells. Just haven't had the opportunity. However several others use these. You are in good company. Glad you are joining us. :D

Fran: Hah, I'm glad you understood my rationale. Lunch with DH would have been nice but my favorite place for lunch has outdoor seating and it's only been in the low 60's this week. Maybe this summer I'll get a morning sitter and surprise him. :hyper: I'll wear my new red shoes! :D

WaterRat
05-19-2008, 07:32 PM
Nelie, NPR had a story on about Buffy this morning. You can listen to it here (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=90584068)

nelie
05-20-2008, 12:22 PM
Fran, Thanks! I did my workout this morning and I did splurge and watch Buffy. I was only a little late for work but that was really because I hadn't planned to walk Maggie because it was pouring but by the time my workout was done, the downpour had turned into a sprinkle so we went on a walk.

Lydia227
05-20-2008, 03:24 PM
Hello Everyone:wave:

Wow, take a few days off from the workout and you really feel it! I could barely get through my cardio session this morning but it's done. I did get in a decent upper body workout this morning. I had a little trouble finding the right sized dumbells. Sometimes the 15 pounders go for a walk and reappear a few days later. Grrr. I really only need them for one or two exercises but still. Tomorrow is legs and core. I'm still tempted to take a day to relax here at home without the kids though. It will be my very last day before DS2 will be home for the summer. :rolleyes: It just really doesn't feel like summer though. Low 60's and cloudy. Not exactly the kind of weather for doing the park with popsicles. :lol:

sportmom
05-20-2008, 10:12 PM
Hey friends, down with the kidney stones again. I think I'm done with the protein powder for the rest of my life. If anyone wants two almost full large containers of Designer Whey, pm me!! :( Will get the results of the ct scan tomorrow and know what's up then. Hey, at least I'm at home with no imminent travel.

wkgirl
05-20-2008, 11:07 PM
Hi all!
Thanks for the advice on the workouts...Im trying out going to curves still with my friend (we both only get there if we go together) and then adding weights at another gym (with a punch-type pass) once or twice a week...so its cheaper, and I will get to do both...still working on trying to do it at home, because I live out of town and getting in when its rainy is pretty messy..lol
Went and did a few leg exercises today...man am I weak!! lol I guess it has been a while since Ive hit the iron! :dizzy:
bye for now
Karla:df:

WaterRat
05-21-2008, 02:19 AM
Oh Fran, sorry to hear this. Doesn't sound like any fun at all!!

I had to attend a special city council meeting at a last minute notice, so no gym for me today :( , plus I had to punt and take apart a turkey sandwich to have some dinner. Luckily I'd had some yogurt and strawberries about 3:30, but the meeting lasted til 9:45! Grrrrr.

But I had a nice NSV today - able to wear pants and a top that I bought in Oregon in 2005 and had been too tight for the public in over 18 months! Whee! :)

Mel
05-21-2008, 07:32 AM
:hug: Fran! I'm sorry to hear that. watching my dh go through it was terrible. Hope this goes quickly for you. Are you watching the rest of your diet like spinach, peanuts, etc? He was told to have a big glass of lemon water at least once a day as well. Seems to have helped him :crossed: I know there are different types of stones, though.

wkgirl- starting over is tough! Welcome back to the iron :)

Lydia said something to me when we were together that has been resonating. Lydia, forgive me if I butcher it:

When I started to eat to support what my body was doing, a lot of the problems went away.

I've been thinking about that statement a lot- and how so many of us here lost track of what our bodies were and are doing. Just another tool for staying on track.

Cardio done, my knees are aching! Must be the heels again ;)

Should lift at lunch-

Mel

Lifeguard
05-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Just came back from working out (& paying my water bill - man, is billing paying irritating in this country!). It's definitely working out better dropping the supersets. Unfortunately it means my workouts take a lot longer & are a little bit boring (I feel like I spend a lot of time standing around) but at least I can get through them without feeling like I'm going to keel over.

Did split squats for the first time in awhile & I think these are going to have to be dropped until after baby - too much strain on my gut. Now I'm down to 2 alternating legs - lunges & step-ups. Any suggestions? I'm going to get sick of those 2 very quickly!

Lydia227
05-21-2008, 06:16 PM
Fran: Thank goodness that you are at home. :hug: I'm worried about you and these kidney stones. I hope that the elimination of the protein powder will help you avoid future ones. Please let us know the ct scan results.

Karla: You have access to another gym?! That's wonderful! It does take a while to acclimate to strength training after a break. :chin: Lets see, I had all fall and most of winter away from lower body workouts, began back again in March and just today added another 20# to my back squat. Slow and steady. You'll get back to where your feel comfortable again.

Pat: I admire how you are able to sustain yourself on an undressed turkey sandwich and keep on chugging away till 9:00 or 10:00pm. I had a meeting last night at 6:30 and felt like I had been hit by a truck. I wasn't exactly the most engaging participant. If I don't have my down time at some point in the day the rest of the evening is pretty much a wash for me. My wagon is draggin'. :lol: Oh hey! Congratulations on your rediscovered wardrobe :hug: It is just the best surprise to pull out a pair of pants that haven't been worn in a long time and find that either they fit perfectly or are too big.

LG: I can see how split squats could be a challenge. :yikes: :chin: I'm not entirely sure what to suggest. I was thinking about prone jack knifes, you would be not on your back and I usually do feel these in my quads at the end of my workout but the idea of a pregnant mom wrestling for balance on a physioball, :dunno: Not so sure. What about a personal trainer who specializes in programs for pregnant women. Maybe just to get some safe alternatives?

Mel: :yes: That's pretty much what I said. I'm actually starting to sound like a worn out record to my family and closest friends with regard to that concept. But, it really is the mind shift that occurred for me. If my focus was only upon the foods I am no longer eating regularly it would just through me into a tailspin. I truly just love being able to do all the physical things that I can today that food now really is seen as fuel for regrowth for me. Okay, sometimes I slip, fall face first and wallow in it a while. But so far, heaven help me, it hasn't been for long and I'm able to pull out of it before any of the really great things I have accomplished are undone.

So. That being said. Last night was my last evening as the co-chair for the hospitality committee of my DS's elementary school. It's been a long year of batches and batches of frozen cookies and bars chilling out in the freezer downstairs. For the most part, I forgot they were there until an event was scheduled. The kids thought it was a party in the basement just begging to happen. Let's just say I'm grateful that they are all gone. Nothing planned ahead to trip me up for next year on a regular basis. There is something to be said for functional fitness. Ever squat down to the ground to pick up cases of 35 half liter bottles of water, hoist them up to one shoulder, sprint up a flight of stairs several times in 10 to 15 minutes. No wonder I was bushed by the meeting. Oh, and this morning, my quads and inner thighs were as sore as leg day at the gym. So, not so bad after all.

Have a great night everyone. :wave:

WaterRat
05-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Lydia, two things: it was a BIG sandwich, and had lettuce/tomato too, which I ate, and I had eaten some yogurt and strawberries just before 4. But I was hungry, and moved past it. I had some tea when I got home and amazingly didn't feel like eating everything in sight. There were also cookies and chips at the meeting, but I don't like greasy chips anymore (baked ones, yes; the ones at Mexican restaurant, yes; but not greasy bags, esp at a meeting) and the cookies were store bought, so eh - not so good anyway.

Just talked to DH who was in Iowa over the weekend, and is now at his brother's on the coast of Maine. Having a good time, and apparently getting his exercise in as when I called earlier, his brother told me that DH was out "running around the neighborhood." :lol: He's scheduled for a 2 week canoe trip in mid-August, so I may get him back into :strong: when he gets home.

Lifeguard
05-22-2008, 12:27 AM
LG: I can see how split squats could be a challenge. :yikes: :chin: I'm not entirely sure what to suggest. I was thinking about prone jack knifes, you would be not on your back and I usually do feel these in my quads at the end of my workout but the idea of a pregnant mom wrestling for balance on a physioball, :dunno: Not so sure. What about a personal trainer who specializes in programs for pregnant women. Maybe just to get some safe alternatives?

I thought about looking for a trainer. I haven't been overly happy with what I've seen of the trainers at my gym here so far - they seem to be forever "helping" their clients with the weights. Hands on the bar for all the reps - huh? I am going home for 2.5 weeks next Wednesday & hoping I can find a good resource for pregnancy weightlifting while I'm home. We'll see.

Oh & DH is not so happy about me squatting - he thinks I pushing things too hard - ugh. No help at all.

Mel
05-22-2008, 07:36 AM
LG- there are a couple of books out there, I'll try to search for them tonight. Last month either shape or qxygen mag did an article on lifting pregnant. I think I threw out the shape mag, but I'll look. Running late and...
I smacked my arm HARD this morning with the elliptical arm try to be HEALTHY and I think I may have fractured it. Off to the ER- so much for being healthy. Humph, she said, typing one handed :mad:

If i'm not in a cast by lunch time, I'm lifing chest and back :rofl:

Fran- how are you feeling?

Mel

kaw
05-22-2008, 07:59 AM
Morning, LWL!

I seem to be off-again, on-again around here these days. Unfortunately, the same thing goes for other aspects of my life as well -- e.g., gym time and eating OP. Arrgh.

My latest distraction was a 3-day leadership conference. (Which started at 8:30, thereby giving me NO time to go to the gym between school bus duty and the workshop. Grr!) Most of it wasn't particularly relevant to 3FC, but the segment on goal-setting might resonate with some of you.

Part of this included a discussion of SMART goals. For those of you who have managed to dodge US corporate-speak (now imported to the self-help industry), SMART stands for Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Timely. Google for more info.

The facilitators also posted some statistics about the likelihood of achieving goals given different strategies:

set a goal: 5% success rate
+ write it down: 15% success rate
+ verbalize it out loud: 30% success rate
+ have an "accountability partner": 85% success rate

They weren't talking specifically about weight loss goals, of course, and who knows how they drew their sample or collected their data. Still, the lesson I got out of this is that those of us who are trying to "go it alone" -- perhaps on the assumption that weight loss / strength gain is no one's business but our own -- are putting ourselves at a huge disadvantage. Put differently: if you have someone, or better still a bunch of someones on 3FC, holding you accountable, you're much more likely to succeed.

Preaching to the choir, I know, but I still thought it interesting. Not three-long-days-of-sitting-in-a-chair interesting, perhaps, but such is life.

Be strong,
Kim

PS. I've schedule a midlife crisis for tomorrow at 7:45 am. Will check in then. :)

nelie
05-22-2008, 10:09 AM
kaw, my company is a big fan of SMART but it really only seems to be talk with them.

I did my Wii workout lastnight (basically playing around on my Wii Fit), then my NRLW workout this morning, then walked my pup. I really need to start wearing gloves because my NRLW workout killed my hands this morning, well that mixed with the kettlebells. They still hurt.

Tomorrow is a day off for me so I'm getting a 4 day weekend. DH and I are going to spend the day in DC so I know I'll get a lot of walking. Maybe a hike this weekend as well.

4rabbit
05-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Mel - How is your arm ? I hope it is just bruised, not broken !!!

Anne - if you are lurking...I'm thinking of you and sending good vibes. i hope they find you OFF your feet, resting, while the little guy inside is ripening.

hi to all the other maintainers,
Rabbit

Lydia227
05-22-2008, 11:54 AM
Mel: You may have fractured your arm? :yikes: Please be careful. I'm handing the clutz crown back to you. :s: :hug:

Wait! Nelie! You have Wii Fit?! How is it? Do you like it? Is it really a workout? We have a Wii but not Wii Fit. Have fun in DC this weekend.

Kim: Nice to see you! It's a bummer when life gets in the way. I'm kind of feeling it this week too. The stats you provided are interesting. I do believe that accountability is very helpful too. Conversely my eventual success in fitness and weightloss did not include anyone else. My group accountability experience in Weight Watchers or some of my other friends actually taught me habits that enabled me not to complete or follow through. Most often I just watched people fall into excuse mode, laugh it off and then slip away into the abyss. I kept my goals and interests a total secret until I was well entrenched in them. I think my personality type has something to do with this behavior. The moment I let the cat out of the bag, I feel deflated of the energy I need to follow though with my goal. Just me rambling over here. Interesting stats. :chin:

Rabbit: Nice to see you around. :hug:

No gym today but more like an active recovery day. Today the elementary school had their Super Games. There were four or five inflatable climbing and bouncing stations, a driving course, a waterball slingshot, a giant puzzle challenge, soccer, and a muscle circuit relay. Guess who was in charge of the last one. :goodvibes: There were two of us, one for each team. We had them doing bicep curls with 3 lbs, squats with 5 lbs, over head press with a 5lb ball, hit the bell with a sledgehammer, and then race back to the beginning. Great fun. Except my partner and I found ourselves shadowing almost all of the kids movements to be sure they got it right during the course. :chin: That's maybe 150 kids with five squats each...yesterday was leg day....

Gotta go, two four year olds are inside my new planted vegetable garden and throwing clods of dirt against the fence. It's a good thing their cute. :lol:

nelie
05-22-2008, 12:00 PM
Lydia,

I just got the Wii Fit yesterday. It does have some really good aspects to it and it is fun. The hula hooping is a good workout and is fun. The yoga has some promise and I really like the balance games including the skiing. Skiing is actually difficult but I think I can master it. The strength training seems ok and seems pretty good for body weight exercises.

I am looking forward to other games they put out for the wii balance board. I am in desperate need of a good boxing game because I love boxing.

sportmom
05-22-2008, 12:39 PM
Mel, OUCH! What's the verdict on the arm?

Well, I'm better. The nite after I wrote that post, Tues nite, I was up from 1-4 am with a pretty bad attack. I controlled it with motrin this time thankfully and no nausea, so I could keep it down, and I propped myself up on teh couch with favorite blanket and just tried to work thru it. So much better than not knowing WHAT it is and stuck in a hotel room with a 7 hr drive ahead of you!! Still waiting for the cat scan results, but haven't passed anything yet as far as I can tell, but def know I passed another stone out of the kidney at least. What a mess. I've been googling K/S prevention and it looks like many people will have them and pass them w/o pain. It's only if you develop a blocked one that you go thru the huge pain and many people will pass off more minor twinges or side pains that don't last more than a day or two. So one of the things to give up in addition to the list you mentioned Mel is Sweet taters. And I had been eating about one of those a week lately. Not over consumption, but still. I had read about the lemon juice too; wonder if orange would still carry the citric acid value that's so helpful? I don't think I can tolerate straight lemon juice, but I can try to squeeze more lemon into my water when I'm eating out. I just need to give up the dark diet sodas too probably. I know I should give those up for other reasons as I'm sure all of you on this forum have, but apparently the phosphoric acid in dark sodas is particularly harsh on kidneys and teeth too.

Lydia227
05-22-2008, 02:04 PM
Fran: That sounds just awful. I'm glad you had your favorite blanket for this. Citric acid, I wonder if the oranges I have at dinner help to break those things up as well as the strawberries and cranberry juice.

LG: I'm still thinking about your situation. I just did a quick google and found this article. I've no doubt you've probably read everything and could teach a course on training through pregnancy but just in case see if this link provides you with anything new.

http://www.davedraper.com/hugo-training-while-pregnant.html

Neli: Maybe I need to spend some time with the kids video games after all. Wii yoga I would consider.

Lifeguard
05-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Thanks Lydia - I had not come across this particular site before. Any info is helpful.

Just got home from a swim & now the clouds are really rolling in so I guess I timed it well.

Sportmom - maybe I missed it but what do you think the link to the protein shake & your kidney stone is? I've never had one but they sound atrocious!

srmb60
05-22-2008, 07:46 PM
Hi folks!

This Krista Schaus was suggesting we set all kinds of goals. You know, the same as we talk about the pants-o-meter and/or the scale ... So I've set one for holding a plank and I love deadlifts. However .... I haven't done any for a while. I did a few 45 lbs this evening with a headache ;) It hurt my head to bend over and add plates. Should I be able to DL 100 lbs within a reasonable amount of time? Is that something a run-of-the-mill woman could do?

Mel
05-22-2008, 08:19 PM
LG- Found this on amazon. Pre and Post Natal Fitness: A Guide for Fitness Professionals (http://www.amazon.com/Pre-Post-Natal-Fitness-Professionals-American/dp/1585186910/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211501453&sr=8-2) I used it for continuing ed credit a few years ago and it has a lot of good info. You don't need to be a professional to find it useful!

Here's another article (http://bodybuilding.about.com/od/womensfitnesstopics/a/trainpregnant.htm)on bodybuilding.com.

and another (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson10.htm) one.

I'm pretty sure it was the Shape mag from last month, because I can't find it in any of the copies I still have :( Sorry!

My arm is not broken :) but I sure have a HUGE lump! Lydia, I think I've always worn the gym-klutz crown, if only because I try to do suck stoopid but entertaining things. I'm easily entertained. :dizzy:

Mel

sportmom
05-22-2008, 10:14 PM
LG - the protein is made up of amino acids and too many of those are a root in stone formation. Apparently they don't break down as well if you overload yourself and they form uric acid crystals which is what stones are. Lydia, I think your oranges at dinner are helpful. But you also have to watch the high oxylate foods, of which strawberries are one, along with many other healthy things, nuts, legumes, wheat bran, strawberries, s. potoatoes, chocolate, and the usual culprits of soda and black tea which are my staples. Today was another ok day. will have to call the dr's office tomorrow myself and get the results of the ct apparently. they wanted me to come back today to get it done in office when they had a tech and i said no, i would get it done tuesday and have results sooner that way, plus i wanted them to see what was going on at the time, not 2 days later. Guess I lost that bet.