20-Somethings - What are your goals/motivations/rewards?

Gryph
05-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Yeah, I know, that's kind of a huge general topic--but in my case, all of mine kind of fall under each of these.

My friend just recently got a pixie cut--looks GREAT on her. For a time it inspired me to get my hair cut short myself, but after mulling over it a while, I realised that I don't have the hair for it--my hair is super curly and would probably just turn out looking like an afro!
So I decided against that, but also made the decision that, once I've reached my goal weight, I -am- going to start treating myself to some new things. Like, actually looking for hairstyles, getting a monthly trim so my hair grows out longer, faster (I've been growing my hair out since sixth grade when it was chin-length, and in four years, it's only gotten to my shoulders!), and maybe invest in some -nice- make up rather than the cheap stuff you just pick up at Wal-Mart. That, and treat myself to some new pants and generally a nicer wardrobe.
Something else I've found out is that I'm actually shorter than I thought I was--a year ago, I thought I was 5'4", but recently I discovered I'm only 5'2"! Okay, so some of you are probably thinking, "Why the heck does she want to be shorter?!" The answer? I can't really be sure, but there's something about generally being "small" and "petite" that I've always liked, and that probably stems from the fact that I've pretty much been overweight my entire life and believing, as most do, that I'm "big-boned". I'll never be as small as my 4'10" friend (but oh, how I envy her!), but I'm smaller than I thought I was, which is more than good enough for me. (:
Today I also tried tightening my belt on my ROTC uniform pants, and I found that it made me look significantly slimmer (Not too tight--the last time I adjusted it was when I was ten pounds heavier), and not only that, but that my pants are starting to really bunch up. They used to be tight before!
This kind of goes with my goals--I want to be at my goal weight by the start of the new school year so that I can immediately go in and get myself some new uniform pants! (Seeing as I'm the supply officer now, I'm in charge of that stuff :D ) It was also my intent to get my driver's license at the end of the school year, but thinking about it, I'd rather have the picture made when I'm at my goal weight. That, and next summer, I plan to go on a trip to Germany for two weeks with the school to our town's sister city, and to repay a visit from the exchange student from that sister city who stayed over -here- two weeks! So, there are goals number two and three--look good for my driver's license photo AND for the passport photos!

So, now--what's your motivation? What are your goals, and what are you rewarding yourself with when you reach your ultimate goal weight? =o

Erika79
05-14-2008, 09:40 PM
Great question! I look forward to reading everyones answers.

First off- I completely understand you about the "short" thing.. congrats on being shorter than you assumed :lol: I'm the exact height as you, 5'2" and I LOVEEEEEEEEE my short-ness, as does my husband. The whole 'petite' thing is great for me... and DH is 5'7", so we're just the perfect height for eachother.

As far as my motivation-
My number ONE is, obviously, my health. I do have a young daughter (she's 2!) and man.. 2 year olds are ACTIVE lil' thangs. My own mama is overweight (obese).. and while she spends an insane amount of time with Alexis, she can't do many "physical" like things. I want to be ACTIVE with my daughter (and future grandchildren, should I have them!!) and I want to BE here for my child.

A big motivation is that I lost 90 pounds in 2003 (then I was married and a child, and gained a lot back).. that was the first time in my adult life I had been healthy/slim. I know what I look like when I'm of average weight, and I WANNA GET THERE AGAIN! That's really motivating to me. I have LOTS of small clothes hanging in my closet!!

One of my longer-time goals is a cruise DH and I are taking in October 2009 to Bermuda!! :dizzy: It's already booked, a beautiful balcony room in the AFT of the ship.. and I want to be WAY smaller than I am now. Bermuda equals bathing suit!! And lots of time spent on the beach, and the pools on the ship. Lots of shorts wearing. And TONS of pics taken. I'm SO excited about that vacation (btw, sans child! We're celebrating my 30th birthday/5th wedding anniversary that year).. and this cruise is a huge, huge, huge motivating factor for me.

As far as my reward in the end?
CLOTHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My husband is actually putting $5 in our checking account for every pound I lose :love: and I'm allowed to "use it" when I hit goal, and I'll be buying all new clothes with it. I freakin' LOVE clothes when I'm smaller (not so much now, because it's frustrating)... so I can't wait to build up my wardrobe when I hit goal.

sunback
05-14-2008, 11:10 PM
My husband is actually putting $5 in our checking account for every pound I lose :love: and I'm allowed to "use it" when I hit goal, and I'll be buying all new clothes with it. I freakin' LOVE clothes when I'm smaller (not so much now, because it's frustrating)... so I can't wait to build up my wardrobe when I hit goal.

Erika - I LOVE this idea!! I'm going to go convince my hubby to do that for me too.... :D

olguitha
05-15-2008, 12:45 AM
i love erika's husband, i mean he's soooo supportive!!!
the thing that inspires me the most is wearing a bikini, that actually look good on me, nd get a tan in the beach with my gals, i know it's silly but i've never do that.

freethetoys
05-15-2008, 03:53 AM
short term goals for me
in 5.5 weeks i am of on holiday to rhodes, so iwould love to meet my target weight i set ,myself 2 years ago. which is 12 stone 168lbs.

freedomreins
05-15-2008, 05:58 AM
I love threads like this! They are so motivating :D

My goal is to hit my first goal of 150 by May 30th, as I leave for Spain that day (or the next...?). I really hope I can make it, but I have been playing with the same two pounds or so since the middle of March so we'll see!! I am definitely going to be out in the sunshine and on the beach in my bathing suit, so that is a huge motivator for me. My original motivation was a cruise I went on at the end of March, and I managed to get down to about 153 then, so not too far off my goal. I'll be vacationing in Spain and Germany until about the 18th of June, so my goal then is to make smart choices and maintain as close as possible to whatever weight I am when I leave, and then when I get home, I would love to be 145 by the beginning of August. I think that will be my ultimate goal, but I may need to go a bit lower if I'm not satisfied at that point, though I suspect I will be.

I bought a new t-shirt yesterday and it is a little bit snug and even at nearly my goal weight I am not comfortable wearing tight clothes yet, so I am hoping that it will get a bit looser and then I will be fine to wear it. That's also motivation.

I don't know what my rewards will be... I have noticed that I am more confident now, and that is in itself a huge reward. If I can afford it, I would love to go buy myself some new clothes or go on vacation with my mom for a few days when I am home once I reach my goal in August (as I'm at university right now). I love using trips as motivators! I used to avoid the pool - I really want to go spend an afternoon splashing around and laying by it and be comfortable in my own skin!

reddahlia
05-15-2008, 06:08 AM
My goal is to get healthy. I'm engaged and we're wanting to have kids. I don't feel healthy enough to nurture a new life or really even enjoy my own fully. My motivation is all that, plus a wedding in 5 months! :o I'm starting to seriously stress about how far I have to go. My fiancee also wants to lose weight and is diabetic. I worry for him and I want to help him, so I know I need to be a good example. My rewards will be gaining the kind of life I want, enjoying life with my new husband, my son, and the children we will have. Plus, we're planning little rewards along the way; clothes, trips etc.. :)

Gryph
05-15-2008, 07:56 AM
i love erika's husband, i mean he's soooo supportive!!!
the thing that inspires me the most is wearing a bikini, that actually look good on me, nd get a tan in the beach with my gals, i know it's silly but i've never do that.

Noo, I know what you mean about the tan thing.
I'm part Irish (A LARGE part Irish) and I've inherited the fair-freckled-skin bit. Now, I love having fair skin--I wouldn't trade it for the world, and I wouldn't even really bother with a tan (Mom's side of the family has a history of skin cancer, so I have to be really careful in the sun) if it wasn't for one thing . I DO have these little dots on my legs where the hair grows, and that's always been a big source of my embarrassment about my legs...so I'm hoping that I can hide those by getting a slight tan.
But more on subject...I myself have never really gone out for a tan, either! So that's something I'm considering.

saoirse79
05-15-2008, 08:23 AM
Noo, I know what you mean about the tan thing.
I'm part Irish (A LARGE part Irish) and I've inherited the fair-freckled-skin bit. Now, I love having fair skin--I wouldn't trade it for the world, and I wouldn't even really bother with a tan (Mom's side of the family has a history of skin cancer, so I have to be really careful in the sun) if it wasn't for one thing . I DO have these little dots on my legs where the hair grows, and that's always been a big source of my embarrassment about my legs...so I'm hoping that I can hide those by getting a slight tan.
But more on subject...I myself have never really gone out for a tan, either! So that's something I'm considering.

I call it chicken legs, I have it too, also Irish, I think it looks just like a plucked chicken, sigh... I hoping some fake bake would cure it, but I'm afraid the tan will get caught in them and just make it look worse! I've done my arms and face before, but because I never show my legs, I've never tried doing them before....good thing I don't live somewhere warmer eh? I be roasting in my long trousers otherwise, I don't think they'll work in Morocco though. Oh the panic over Morocco, I'm really excited to go away, but I don't have any clothes to wear, and don't really have the money to go out and get a bunch of new clothes in a size I don't plan on being very long... Although my big moitvation is I've bought one item of clothing in everysize down to my goal size (UK 10, US 8) and I like to keep trying on the next one down until it fits...

BellyUp
05-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Once I reach 130lbs, I'm going to get my hair dyed and styled. It's looooong over needed so it's a big motivator for me! The boyfriend and I are going to cali in a month and a half so I might hold off a couple weeks to get it dyed (so I can be 'no-roots' cute for california), but at least I'll have permission!!!

At 115lbs I'm going to buy some new skinny clothes! I have a lot of clothes I can't wear that I have from when I was this weight last time. So even if I don't get to buy a lot of stuff, it will feel like I'm getting a new wardrobe!

At my final goal of 105lbs, I'm going to buy myself a cute new swimsuit! Not a bikini mind you...that will never look good with my stretch marks, haha, but a swimsuit all the same. And I'm going to finally put my apt. pool to good use! Hoepfully it won't be too cold by then, haha.

About the plucked chicken legs look, I totally have it to and it sucks! Tanning REALLY helps with mine. I use Designer Skin Spellbound tanning lotion stuff when I go, and it smells amazing and really makes my legs look A LOT better.

wisher
05-15-2008, 10:38 AM
I have lots of motivators/reasons for wanting to lose weight.

My biggest motivator is simply feeling good. The more weight I lose the better I feel about myself and there's nothing quite as satisfying as feeling confident.

I'm also a total shopaholic and clotheshorse so that's a big motivator too! I'm really into fashion and I'm constantly seeing things in stores, catalogs, even on other people that I would love to wear but can't really right now because of my weight.

I'm also dating a guy who really takes care of himself and has a fantastic body! He goes to the gym 4-5 times a week and it's totally an inspiration to me, he makes me want to look just as good as him!

My goal is to reach as size 6/8 (honestly I think I'd even be happy with an 8/10 but I might as well dream big right?). I'm not exactly sure what my actual weight would be at that size but I'm guessing around 150 since I'm a size 12 right now at 195. My goal is not based on any magic number though, that's why I'm not sure my exact goal weight, it's based on how I LOOK and how I feel about myself. When I'm happy with what I've made of myself that will be my goal!

As far as rewards go, as I mentioned above I'm a total clothing nut so all of my "rewards" are treating myself to a new piece of clothing. I don't go out and get something only when I reach a goal though, I reward myself whenever I'm feeling really good about what I've done and where I'm at.

Kitegirl24
05-15-2008, 12:08 PM
I am motivated for a lot of reasons....first of all, I have always had 5-10 unnecessary extra pounds on my frame and I want to be truly PETITE all over, not just "short"! Besides my health, my confidence has suffered as well my entire life, because I am super self-conscious about how I look weight-wise. I don't think I'm ugly or anything, sometimes I even feel cute, but that weight always keeps me from looking in the mirror and thinking, "WOW! I feel hot!" :lol: So that is my main motivation to change.

Other little things include wanting to look great in a bikini by the end of the summer, since I am studying abroad in Spain this year and planning on hanging out on the beach. And I LOVE shopping, but trying on piece after piece of clothing is so frustrating when everything fits (except the chest/stomach). So I am planning on saving the money I make over the summer, and just doing my shopping before I leave the country. That way, I can reward myself AND get some new clothes that show off my figure. :carrot:

aerogora
05-15-2008, 01:32 PM
I want to weigh less than my hubby!! I know it sounds strange but I have always thought that the woman should weigh less and of coarse, my luck, I end up marring a very lean guy weighing in at a whopping 160 pounds!! But I am getting close. Another goal is to be healthy, which includes a healthy BMI and body fat percentage. I am out of the "obese" BMI range so I am happy about that, now I am working to get out of the "overweight" range.
I am saving my stimulus money and I am going to spend it on new clothes when I reach goal.

olguitha
05-15-2008, 06:29 PM
i just remebered something, i wanna be a bee for halloween, my family always make this huge halloween ball, and i wanna look like this:
http://www.odgirl.com/media/images/product_detail/07-83343-M.jpg
and not like the little girl in blind melon's video

saoirse79
05-15-2008, 08:10 PM
I LOVE THIS THREAD!!! So, so positive! Aerogora totally feeling you on the skinny man thing, my boyfriend has put on 15 lbs in the last year and is barely hitting 160, and he's 6'4"! I can't wait to weight less than him and feel small in his arms, TG he put on the weight, otherwise I'd have to be down to 140...hmmm just had an idea, maybe I'll stay the weight I am and put suppliments in his food until he's fatter than me! Just kidding, obv ;-) And Olguitha I love the bee comparison! I always felt a bit like that little girl!

chickennugget126
05-15-2008, 08:38 PM
So many that I'm going to do in list form:

motivations (in no particular order)
- self-confidence
- cute clothes
- having fun on shopping trips with friends
- being ready for unexpected (and expected) events like weddings, parties, meeting people, trips to beach, etc
- running faster without extra weight
- feeling like I'm taking care of my body
- kicking depression in the ***
- cheekbones
- photos
- being able to powerwalk up hills without collapsing (i live on one)
- being what I feel I am on the inside on the outside, as well

And so many more...

saoirse79
05-15-2008, 10:32 PM
I decided to put this here from a different post of mine, I had been a bit embarrassed but feck it, these are really what motivates me:

I keep a tiny list of reasons I want to lose weight taped to the back of one of my cards in my wallet, and not just the obvious, like 'to be healthy' of course I want to be healthy. But when it's between me and a donut, that doesn't wash...I'm far more inspired by some of these:

-performing an erotic striptease for my boyfriend.
-dancing in a sleeveless top (I've never owned one, too embarrassed by my big fat arms and bingo wings) with my arms in the air, happy without a crippling sense of self consciousness.
-visiting family and friends that haven't seen me in years, and the surprise on their faces when I walk in (I like to imagine that they won't recognize me because the change has been so dramatic)
-being able to buy cheap and pretty clothes in any shop I go into (there are very few plus size shops in Ireland, and I always feel as though I'm not well presented or that I look sloppy)
-My friends wedding in September (combines both the clothes, and the seeing people I haven't seen in ages)
-Amazing sex with the lights on in positions that would make Pamela Anderson blush!
-and of course as always, EX BOYFRIEND REVENGE, as well as ex crush revenge, on all those that wouldn't give me a chance because of my size.

I'm such a dork...oh well, I'm sure that won't change, no matter how much weight I lose :-)

dani4a
05-15-2008, 11:04 PM
Let's see....

I want to stop nervously glancing down everytime I hear the word "cankles," desperate to reassure myself I don't have them. (still can't decide, for the record)

I want to actually be able to wear the cheap rings I see in stores. The only ones that ever seem to fit are the awful gaudy one for old ladies.

I want to be able to climb onto the roof of my house with a beer and watch the sun set with my friends.

I want to see a gap between my thighs.

I want to get rid of that dreaded muffin top (even if I'm not sure about the cankles, I definitely know about the muffin top).

I want to finally learn how to do a successful cartwheel.

I want to stop worrying about that stigma of being the fattest person in the room, and worrying if everyone else notices it too.

I want to stop worrying about eating in public. Always worrying that the person next to me sees me and is thinking "wow, she really doesn't need to be eating that."

I want to stop paying attention to the position of my head so much when I have my photo taken. There's the double (+) chin, or the head-neck anomaly.

I'm tired of seeing Tabloids that say "SHE'S FAT!!" and thinking "damn, why would anyone think she's fat? I'd kill to look like her?"

I think fat people are the only ones that are safe to make fun of today. We embrace every form of diversity and avoid offensive jokes, but somehow, fat people are always safe. And always looked down upon. I want to show people this major flaw in our society.

I've spent a little too much time in the hospital lately. I want to be able to fasten the hospital gown, damnit!

I want to buy clothes in a "one-size-fits-all" size without worrying if one size actually DOES fit all.

I want people to be able to describe my physical appearance without the obvious "fat." Yes, there are so few of "us" in the city that if someone describes me within a group, people will immediately know who I am based on that one word. I hate that it's my most defining physical quality.

I want to stop getting illogically annoyed at skinny girls.

I want to actually look at an attractive guy, instead of just completely not noticing his existence because I know he's way out of my league and probably attracted to those stupid, vapid, anorexic, skinny little ******* anyway. ;-)

I want to wear sexy underwear.

I want to bend over 1) without constricting my air supply, and 2) without baring a aircraft carrier.

I want to feel like I can actually date an average sized man without feeling completely self-conscious. Nothing at all against overweight men, there simply isn't a large population in Boulder.

In fact, this whole damn city is skinny. I don't like being one of the biggest people in the city. I want to feel like I can ski, hike, rock climb, and do all that outdoorsy stuff that Boulderites are so into that I've never even considered doing.

As you can probably tell, I want to get my confidence up. This is the result of an entire life of being "the fat girl." And I'm done with it.

saoirse79
05-15-2008, 11:17 PM
Dani4a- They're all great, I felt like I was like, yup, me too, uh huh, check, I'm printing them out to keep in my handbag....they won't all fit on my little wallet card...

taragettingthin
05-15-2008, 11:30 PM

That is such a great idea! Either I'm going to do it or I may get my bf help me with that!!! =) Just thinking about shopping makes me want to do better at it!

taragettingthin
05-15-2008, 11:35 PM
i just remebered something, i wanna be a bee for halloween, my family always make this huge halloween ball, and i wanna look like this:
http://www.odgirl.com/media/images/product_detail/07-83343-M.jpg
and not like the little girl in blind melon's video

Woot woot.. a GREAT one!!
My friend throws a halloween party evere year and I always have been looking at Plus size costumes. This year, maybe I will surprised everyone with some sexy outfit like that, as I don't get to see him that often with my work schedule right now.

taragettingthin
05-15-2008, 11:50 PM
Here are my goals/motivations/rewards...

As some of you may know, I'm visiting my family and friends in Korea that I haven't seen over 4 years. Being healthier and thinner than when I last saw them would be one of my goals. This also would be motivation for me. Then comes the rewards: clothes from Korea. Their sizes are sooo small but they are soooo cute. I will be there in October and will be able to find such a cute jacket or coat that I've never been able to wear. I am also going to get my hair done while in Korea and being thinner would look better with the hair I want to get.

I want to wear cute,sexy, and nice clothes without feeling conscious about my body. I want to be able to shop with no feeling of being embarrased or shame.

I want to be able to run and play with my 2 year old daughter as she's growing up, not just sit on the couch or on the bench and watch her play.

I want to be healthy. There is a STRONG history of diabetes in my both parents' side. I don't want that. My dad had problem with high blood pressure and now he's doing good by eating healthier and working out. I don't want to realize that I need to do something for my health too late. (my dad was 58 when he started changing his life style)

I want to be thin..or at least NORMAL, which I have never been. I want to enjoy my life without being judged by my look of being fat. I don't want people to remember me as a fat person or "BIG" girl.

I want to look like a mom who looks like one who hasn't had a baby.
I don't want to hear "You don't seem to be a 'typical' Asian girl. Are you a full Korean?" anymore.

I want to stop looking at my pics on my friends' MySpace and hate my arms, hate my chins, hate, hate, hate... I want to look good or at least be pleased with my pics.

I want to stop "checking out" skinny or thinner girls. (I am TOTALLY STRAIGHT, though). haha.

olguitha
05-16-2008, 12:00 AM
tara i think you are my korean twin, i check girls too, my EX is always saying that i look more girls than him.
but i only look at them because i wanna be like that

LiLi Gettin Thin
05-16-2008, 12:14 AM
-Amazing sex with the lights on in positions that would make Pamela Anderson blush!

Ahahaahaha!!! That is definitely going on my list!

I want to stop "checking out" skinny or thinner girls. (I am TOTALLY STRAIGHT, though). haha.

OMG! I do that too! I'm always afraid that someone will see me checking out some skinny girl's booty and misinterpret my "look of longing" as longing for her...rather than as a jealous/wish my booty looked like that kind of longing.

Dani, those are awesome motivators! I think I'm gonna put them on my list too!

QueenBee3
05-16-2008, 10:15 AM
My motivation is my sons. I want them to be happy and healthy. I want to be an active mom and running circles around them.

My goal is (on the scale) 135ish. Also, I'm from Florida (now in Philly) and when we go home at Christmas, I want to be in a bathing suit on the beach. Yeah, you can go to the beach during Christmas there :0)

My rewards are mostly internal. Happier, more self-confidence, just feeling amazing. The external, though, is seeing my boys healthy and active. They're only 3,2 and 1 so they are plenty active, but I want them to keep it up! Okay, and hubby is buying me a pair of shoes every couple of weeks because no matter how my weight fluctuates, my love for shoes will never falter! LOL

Fat Pants
05-16-2008, 11:54 AM
These are all great. I could relate to so many of them!

Mine are not that different, I guess... I want to stop being the "fat friend" or the fattest one in the room, the fat family member, etc. I want to stop shopping at Lane Bryant as well as stop shopping by MYSELF because I'm afraid that my friends will go into stores that I can't go into because the clothes are too small...

Health reasons, definitely.

I want to stop thinking that people must be wondering why a hot guy (my husband) is with a fat person like myself!

Lastly.. motivation... my husband promised that if I met my goal (135 lbs.), he would take me on a vacation to anywhere I wanted to go - resort, cruise, etc. I think I've settled on an all-inclusive resort in Barbados or something along those lines. I figure if I've got a great body, I want to show it off in a swimsuit!!!

KLK
05-17-2008, 12:06 AM
Hi, my name is Karen, I'm new here.

My main motivation at this point is to lose some weight/tone for my wedding in October.

I lost a lot of weight in 2004 (going from 264 to 175lbs) but then I hit a plateau and in the last two years I've regained, lost and regained the same 15 - 20 lbs over and over, so I'm 190lbs now.

I liked when you mentioned that once you lose some weight you would begin treating yourself to some new things -- hairstyles, clothes, etc. I have to say, even though I'm no where near my goal weight (SIGH!) I treat myself a lot better now than I did when I was 264lbs... back then I never wore make up, for instance, and now I do, and I would never fix my hair, but now I pay attention to how my hair looks, etc. I've also developed a much stronger, more outgoing personality and I stand up for myself in situations the way I never did when i was heavier. That was a big motivator for me back then... feeling confident in myself.

Yeah, I know, that's kind of a huge general topic--but in my case, all of mine kind of fall under each of these.

My friend just recently got a pixie cut--looks GREAT on her. For a time it inspired me to get my hair cut short myself, but after mulling over it a while, I realised that I don't have the hair for it--my hair is super curly and would probably just turn out looking like an afro!
So I decided against that, but also made the decision that, once I've reached my goal weight, I -am- going to start treating myself to some new things. Like, actually looking for hairstyles, getting a monthly trim so my hair grows out longer, faster (I've been growing my hair out since sixth grade when it was chin-length, and in four years, it's only gotten to my shoulders!), and maybe invest in some -nice- make up rather than the cheap stuff you just pick up at Wal-Mart. That, and treat myself to some new pants and generally a nicer wardrobe.
Something else I've found out is that I'm actually shorter than I thought I was--a year ago, I thought I was 5'4", but recently I discovered I'm only 5'2"! Okay, so some of you are probably thinking, "Why the heck does she want to be shorter?!" The answer? I can't really be sure, but there's something about generally being "small" and "petite" that I've always liked, and that probably stems from the fact that I've pretty much been overweight my entire life and believing, as most do, that I'm "big-boned". I'll never be as small as my 4'10" friend (but oh, how I envy her!), but I'm smaller than I thought I was, which is more than good enough for me. (:
Today I also tried tightening my belt on my ROTC uniform pants, and I found that it made me look significantly slimmer (Not too tight--the last time I adjusted it was when I was ten pounds heavier), and not only that, but that my pants are starting to really bunch up. They used to be tight before!
This kind of goes with my goals--I want to be at my goal weight by the start of the new school year so that I can immediately go in and get myself some new uniform pants! (Seeing as I'm the supply officer now, I'm in charge of that stuff :D ) It was also my intent to get my driver's license at the end of the school year, but thinking about it, I'd rather have the picture made when I'm at my goal weight. That, and next summer, I plan to go on a trip to Germany for two weeks with the school to our town's sister city, and to repay a visit from the exchange student from that sister city who stayed over -here- two weeks! So, there are goals number two and three--look good for my driver's license photo AND for the passport photos!

So, now--what's your motivation? What are your goals, and what are you rewarding yourself with when you reach your ultimate goal weight? =o

KLK
05-17-2008, 12:10 AM
OMG your post was just great in everyway possible...

especially the part about how, despite all our cultural and social sensitivity, we still feel totally free to make fun of, belittle, judge and lecture overweight people...

Let's see....

I want to stop nervously glancing down everytime I hear the word "cankles," desperate to reassure myself I don't have them. (still can't decide, for the record)

I want to actually be able to wear the cheap rings I see in stores. The only ones that ever seem to fit are the awful gaudy one for old ladies.

I want to be able to climb onto the roof of my house with a beer and watch the sun set with my friends.

I want to see a gap between my thighs.

I want to get rid of that dreaded muffin top (even if I'm not sure about the cankles, I definitely know about the muffin top).

I want to finally learn how to do a successful cartwheel.

I want to stop worrying about that stigma of being the fattest person in the room, and worrying if everyone else notices it too.

I want to stop worrying about eating in public. Always worrying that the person next to me sees me and is thinking "wow, she really doesn't need to be eating that."

I want to stop paying attention to the position of my head so much when I have my photo taken. There's the double (+) chin, or the head-neck anomaly.

I'm tired of seeing Tabloids that say "SHE'S FAT!!" and thinking "damn, why would anyone think she's fat? I'd kill to look like her?"

I think fat people are the only ones that are safe to make fun of today. We embrace every form of diversity and avoid offensive jokes, but somehow, fat people are always safe. And always looked down upon. I want to show people this major flaw in our society.

I've spent a little too much time in the hospital lately. I want to be able to fasten the hospital gown, damnit!

I want to buy clothes in a "one-size-fits-all" size without worrying if one size actually DOES fit all.

I want people to be able to describe my physical appearance without the obvious "fat." Yes, there are so few of "us" in the city that if someone describes me within a group, people will immediately know who I am based on that one word. I hate that it's my most defining physical quality.

I want to stop getting illogically annoyed at skinny girls.

I want to actually look at an attractive guy, instead of just completely not noticing his existence because I know he's way out of my league and probably attracted to those stupid, vapid, anorexic, skinny little ******* anyway. ;-)

I want to wear sexy underwear.

I want to bend over 1) without constricting my air supply, and 2) without baring a aircraft carrier.

I want to feel like I can actually date an average sized man without feeling completely self-conscious. Nothing at all against overweight men, there simply isn't a large population in Boulder.

In fact, this whole damn city is skinny. I don't like being one of the biggest people in the city. I want to feel like I can ski, hike, rock climb, and do all that outdoorsy stuff that Boulderites are so into that I've never even considered doing.

As you can probably tell, I want to get my confidence up. This is the result of an entire life of being "the fat girl." And I'm done with it.

Gryph
05-17-2008, 12:25 AM
About the plucked chicken legs look, I totally have it to and it sucks! Tanning REALLY helps with mine. I use Designer Skin Spellbound tanning lotion stuff when I go, and it smells amazing and really makes my legs look A LOT better.

Ohhh! I'll have to try it then. xD I always tell myself, "Once I'm down to my goal weight, I'll show off my legs all the time!" Then I remember my chicken-leg problem, and it's like, "Ah, no, no, maybe not." But I'll definitely have to try going for a tan this summer or something.

Ahh these posts are all so inspiring! :D

lissa9501
05-17-2008, 06:41 AM
clothes....always clothes considering i gifted a dear friend that was in need of pants over 5 pairs of jeans that no longer fit me due to weight loss(she's had a bad shopping experience with nasty little witch in a macys so i made her feel much better)
new shoes.....i had to go down a 1/2 size from a 10 to a 9 1/2 so i needed new sandles and dress shoes
oh yea the whole cute bras dont come in a DD is false, haynes has the curvation line which is aimed at bigger sizes.

i feel great no longer shopping in the plus size dept i bought pjs for mothers day that were an 11/13 and a large(12/14)
and the next time i put on my hubbys dress shirt it will be coming off with a striptease!

yea uh i guess i need to get off here and plug in the dvd player and do my workout

KLK
05-17-2008, 09:44 AM
That happened to me too -- I wasn't even thinking about my shoe size changing, but I went from a size 9 1/2 to an 8 - 8 1/2. I'm still not a big fan of heels, but I definitely have more shoes than I did back then.

new shoes.....i had to go down a 1/2 size from a 10 to a 9 1/2 so i needed new sandles and dress shoes

rockout
05-17-2008, 03:01 PM
I have these jeans that I got about two years ago. They fit really and made my butt look awsome! I don't have a great booty...its ok, but nothing anyone will be making music videos about. But these jeans, they so make my butt look good! Like, way good. So, my first goal is to get back into my good butt jeans.

mamaspank
05-18-2008, 03:10 PM
My goal is what I used to weigh when I was 19. I felt great. I wasn't too skinny, just very athletic. I reward myself with new clothes. I am having a hard time buying things that I don't think will fit in two months though. I finally just had to say screw it, and bite the bullet. I want to look good while I am transitioning.
The best reward is the new haircut I just got. It is this new-age slight take on the mullet. That sounds bad. It is cute; I swear. This is the pic I brought and it turned out tremendous. I feel great. My baby's daddy told me it makes me look a lot slimmer in the face. That felt nice.

prepping
05-20-2008, 12:49 PM
A lot of my goals/motivations have already been mentioned... BUT the latest one is a silly one...
I have a bachelorette I'm going to in July (not my own) and we're learning how to pole dance. I want to be a little less jiggly so that I can freely make a fool of myself with friends without feeling self-conscious.
There's gonna be liquid encouragement anyway, but I'd still like to look good doing it!

It's the short term motivation. :D

PrettyPaula
05-20-2008, 01:38 PM
mamaspank i love the hair cut! gorgeous!!

my biggest motivations:

to be at least closer to the same weight as fiance (hes 6ft1 and weighs 142!!!)

to be able to go into any store and buy clothing i like without worrying about it not fitting...

to be able to show off my tattoos more because im less self conscious of my arms and back

to be able to have my glamorous photo shoot done that i won at work! im saving it for goal!

to be able to not be the chubby one anymore, im gonna post photos of me at goal EVERYWHERE i think people who have called me fat before (there are alot of them believe me) will see them. im gonna shove it in some deserving faces.

to make my mum proud.

olguitha
05-20-2008, 01:50 PM
i will have a tattoo when in goal, a butterfly, that's something i want a lot!

sunback
05-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Paula - I'm with you. I'd love to be able to show off my tattoos with pride. I have a couple on my back that I love but no one ever sees them. And once I reach my goal I will be rewarding myself with at least one more! :) Maybe I'll even get one on my arm IF they ever get toned...

PrettyPaula
05-20-2008, 03:11 PM
tattoos are COOL. and showing them off is so important i have a beautiful one on my lower back which i adore and i never get to show it off.

misstraveller
05-20-2008, 03:24 PM
Some of my goals are superficial, some are deeper, some motivations are short-term and some are long. But I plan on meeting all of them!

*To improve my health and reverse my diabetes diagnosis.

*To be as strong physically as I am mentally.

*To not have a double chin in pics or have to worry about trying to hide it.

*For my thighs not to rub together when I wear a skirt.

*For the kids at my childcare center to not ask me if I'm pregnant.

*To be able to feel comfortable in my own skin again.

*To stun boyfriend when i see him again in August (I'm in Italy, he's in the US) and I will have not seen him since MARCH. I want to stun him! :)

*To wear a bikini. I haven't worn once since grade school.

Kriket84
05-20-2008, 03:26 PM
I have started breaking my loss up into smaller goals that way I feel like I'm accomplishing more! In the past I have taken pictures at my highest weight, 3/4 down, half way point, and my 1/4 is coming soon hopefully :D

For my 180 which is 3/4 of the way to goal I am going to get a piercing I want and take a new photo.

I've decided that when I get to 170 (5lb from my TTC goal) I am going to have my wedding set resized!

165 is my original goal and DH and I are going to try making babies!!

man I only have 25 pounds left :dizzy:

I've been reading and the closer I get I think that I am going to try for 155. So from 165 I am going to see if I can manage to get another 10 off and then maintain from 155-160.

I'm so close, I wish I had a way to speed up time :D

dani4a
05-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Misstraveller, where are you in Italy? Off topic, I know, but I studied in Perugia last fall, so I'm in love with that silly boot country now. It's difficult to be overweight there, though. All those amazing clothes that won't go past my knees! Not to mention that being overweight doesn't fit in with the notion of "bella figura." I really want to go back when I reach my goal, and when I'm happy (I was suffering from severe depression at the time) so I can have the time of my life!

taragettingthin
05-20-2008, 11:00 PM
i will have a tattoo when in goal, a butterfly, that's something i want a lot!

You gotta be kidding me! You truly are my Colombian twinnie! lol

I already have a tat of a butterfly...and want one more. When I get to my ultimate goal, I'm going to get another tat of fairy with little bit of tribal. Hopefully my skin won't be all flabby... =)

olguitha
05-21-2008, 01:02 AM
You gotta be kidding me! You truly are my Colombian twinnie! lol

I already have a tat of a butterfly...and want one more. When I get to my ultimate goal, I'm going to get another tat of fairy with little bit of tribal. Hopefully my skin won't be all flabby... =)
flabbyness my own worst enemy

GradPhase
05-21-2008, 02:18 AM
If I lose ten lbs by June 24th I'm buying myself a new duvet cover I simply fell in love with at Bed, Bath and Beyond for my dorm room when I head back to college in August!

taragettingthin
05-21-2008, 02:54 AM
After reading what Erika's DH does, I today told my DBF about it...and he asked if I wanted to do it too...and I said that would be great for when I reach the ultimate goal, as I have about 68 lbs to go...as I'm going to try to find clothes at thrift shops till I reach the goal. He then says "I'm just wondering... Do you want both of us to do it?" I was like..."yeah, then that's $2.50 per pound for each" and he's like "C'mon, 2.50? No. You don't have to, but I will give you $5 per pound you lose till you reach the goal."
Yay!! Thank you Erika! Now I have one more thing to look forward to!!!

prepping
05-21-2008, 01:29 PM
I thought the $5 idea of Erika's was great too! somehow I think it loses some meaning on a combined income though... Especially since I just went out last friday and bought 4 pairs of shoes. :o They were on sale and pretty, what can I say. ;)

the hubby-to-be thought it was a great idea about getting a tattoo when I reach goal though! gives him an excuse to get one too. Now he's super supportive. I'm looking for a dragonfly design but no idea where to put it...

Taylor86
05-21-2008, 01:58 PM
Paula- I am totally with you on the tattoos. I have some on my back that never get seen - I mean first and foremost I get my tattoos for me - but showing them off would be a nice change.

rockout
05-21-2008, 06:11 PM
They were on sale and pretty, what can I say. ;)

Thats all that has to be said ;). Its actually a girl rule I think, if shoes are pretty and on sale, one must buy said shoes. I own 6 pairs of chucks in various colors because they were on sale (way on sale). Did I need 6 pairs of chucks? No, I already owned three pairs. But hey, SALE. And later I had to put an additional pair because 9 seemed like an akward number, but 10 seemed good.

freedomreins
05-21-2008, 07:07 PM
I'd love to get a tattoo when I hit goal. It's pretty close though, so we'll see. I'd get a ladybug (they have a huge significance in my life, so really there's no question as to what I would get permanently put on my body), but I haven't decided where to put it. I'd like for it to be visible when I wear a tank top in the summer but when it comes to wearing a wedding dress, etc, I would prefer it not be too noticeable. I was thinking the back of my shoulder. My mom suggested I get it for my 21st birthday (next year), but perhaps I will get it before then, when I hit goal, to celebrate my newfound confidence!

dani4a
05-21-2008, 07:16 PM
Thats all that has to be said ;). Its actually a girl rule I think, if shoes are pretty and on sale, one must buy said shoes. I own 6 pairs of chucks in various colors because they were on sale (way on sale). Did I need 6 pairs of chucks? No, I already owned three pairs. But hey, SALE. And later I had to put an additional pair because 9 seemed like an akward number, but 10 seemed good.

Haha, I wish. I've always had massive feet. It's hard to find pretty shoes in a 10.5/11. Not to mention that I have a lot of trouble wearing high heels. Is that a weight thing? Or rather, does my weight make it more difficult than it is for other women? Because it gets pretty awful.

rockout
05-21-2008, 07:20 PM
Haha, I wish. I've always had massive feet. It's hard to find pretty shoes in a 10.5/11. Not to mention that I have a lot of trouble wearing high heels. Is that a weight thing? Or rather, does my weight make it more difficult than it is for other women? Because it gets pretty awful.

Hm, I'm not sure. I fall on my butt everytime I wear a pair of heels. So, I don't really wear heels anymore. Just the half inch ones to work, after I got yelled at for wearing one of the 10 pairs of chucks.

I have a hard time finding shoes too! I'm a 9.5/10, but I have super narrow feet. Its very annoying.

rockout
05-21-2008, 07:24 PM
I love the tattoo idea too. I want to get either wings on my sholder blades or maybe a pin up chick when I hit my major goal. Or, and its kind of silly, I want a lower back tattoo (aka tramp stamp). I've always thought of that as "something skinny girls do". So, I want one when I'm a skinny girl!

I already have three, a dove, a star and moon, and a sugar skull. They're addicting.

mesilla
05-22-2008, 07:54 AM
Some of my motivations for losing weight are:
-To feel strong, lean, healthy and confident
-To be a good role model for the rest of my family, and to help to encourage them to eat healthier
-To stop obsessing about my weight. I want to start focusing on other goals and I feel its time to really lose my excess weight once and for all and to maintain
-To develop a healthy relationship with food and start to get rid of my eating disordered thinking and behaviours
-To develop more confidence and to bring that into my career and dating lives
-To start salsa lessons, and to go back to ballroom dancing lessons, and to compete next year
-To run a half marathon this summer

My rewards are mainly just the psychological and physical benefits of losing weight. At the end of my weight loss I will most definately go on a shopping spree!

toesocklover
05-22-2008, 09:27 AM
My number one motivating factor -- meeting my best friend (and hopeful future husband) of 11 years for the first time. He's been my absolute everything since I was 11 years old, and until last week I had never given him a picture. It's been more than a friendship for many years now, and I didn't want him to not like me. But, he is more than understanding, and says he loves me even more.

SO, the plan is for me to fly there in August and spend a week with him. That means I have to work my butt off!! Exercise exercise exercise! =]

When it comes down to it...
I want to lose weight for me. A self esteem boost would be wonderful!
He's just a perk in the plan! ;)