General chatter - Weird Things You Do

View Full Version : Weird Things You Do

Beach Patrol
05-13-2008, 03:34 PM
What is something you do that you KNOW FULL WELL is weird, strange, or abnormal... but you do it anyway?

I flip thru magazines BACKWARD. When I find something I want to read, I read it. But I continue to flip thru the dang thang BACKWARD. :dizzy: I don't know WHY I do this, but I know it's not "really normal". :D

Your turn!

Michelle125
05-13-2008, 04:10 PM
I DO THAT TOO!!!! Omg, I thought I was the only one who flipped magazines backwards! They should do a study on us.

Hmm, something else... I'm an artist and have to eat M&Ms (or any colored candies) in some kind of color order. (although I haven't eaten them in a while- yay me!) This is the routine:

Rainbow- align them into rainbow order then eat one of each color until it's no longer a rainbow
Usually at this point there is something like a traffic light left (red, yellow or orange, and green)
After that there's Christmas left (red and green)
Then red gets eaten first b/c it's yummier (so I think).

I do this subconsciously. I'm not OCD. I'm just weird! :)

Kofarq
05-13-2008, 04:13 PM
All the clothes in my closet face to the left. If I'm putting them away and I accidently put something on the hanger backwards, I flip it around. If someone hangs up something of mine backwards, I'll fix it if nobody will notice me doing it. (So they don't think I'm weird!)

nelie
05-13-2008, 04:20 PM
I read magazines backward. That is weird?

4myloves
05-13-2008, 04:23 PM
I read magazines backward. That is weird?

Well, so far, three out of four people do it--must not be too weird!

Michelle125
05-13-2008, 04:24 PM
I wonder why we do it??!

4myloves
05-13-2008, 04:26 PM
All the ads are in the front?

Shopaholic1204
05-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Oh wow..here it goes..lol

I have to be the first one to read my mags. I get very upset if dh picks up one of my mags to read. I dunno why I have to do be the first one to read it, lol.

I also paint, remove, then repaint my nails..usually with the same color.

I hang up all my clothes facing the right..and all dh clothes are facing the left. He's not allowed to hang up his clothes, because he usually does them wrong, lol. And everything is color coordinated. And it goes by style as well. (dress shirts all together, tees together, etc) The pants usually go in the back, and those are coordinated by color & style as well.

I have to line up the remotes according to size. Then before I go to bed, I line them back up again. If one is missing, I will tear the whole living room apart looking for it.

Geez..I sound totally anal, lol.

GONNABE165
05-13-2008, 04:36 PM
I'm a backward magazine reader too

Beach Patrol
05-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Well, so far, three out of four people do it--must not be too weird!

Heh. Oh, it's weird alright! - just more of us weirdos out there than previously suspected... ;)

JayEll
05-13-2008, 04:38 PM
I flip through magazines from back to front, and so did my mother!

Jay

ddc
05-13-2008, 04:44 PM
OK, I do the magazine back to front also :)
I also hanging my clothes facing to the left. :)
I have to turn all of my money (bills-when I have some-ha) the exact same way and in order of amount smallest to largest.
I also will not run my dishwasher until it is totally cram packed full.

I think these are just my OCD traits :)
I also like to use smileys alot :)

Michelle125
05-13-2008, 04:57 PM
Yes I have to order the bills in my wallet all facing to the front and in order smallest to largest.

I also have to eat my veggies first (b/c most of the time they are the least enjoyable of the meal) and save the most enjoyable food for last, so the taste is in my mouth when I'm done. I wonder if this is setting me up for cravings? :)

I wonder how many people actually read magazines back to front? I mean, what if it's like 80% of all readers?! :) Yeah I think we can blame the ads!

Michelle125
05-13-2008, 05:02 PM
Actually I need to seriously correct myself...

I FLIP through the new magazine back to front when I first get it, THEN once I see the overall content, I START READING from front to back.

So I have flip back to front first, but actually read front to back. I HATE reading articles out of order.

Just thought of that now, and needed to correct myself :)

PhotoChick
05-13-2008, 05:14 PM
Good grief. I'm not nearly that weird.

<pause while the hysterical laughter stops>

The only thing I can think of that I do is this:
When I get home, I have to change out of my work clothes *immediately* and into "house clothes" (usually yoga pants and a tshirt). I think it comes from wearing a uniform to school for most of my life and having to keep it clean for a full week. But I cannot wear "work" clothes while at home.

I'm sure there's tons of other little stuff that I do that *other* people would think was weird, but it's such a part of my daily life, that I don't even think about it! :)

LindseyLouWho
05-13-2008, 05:14 PM
Okay, well, hmm... I don't do the magazine thing, but the one weird URGE I have (that I don't give into, thank goodness!) is to pop people's zits if they've got a huge whitehead on them. It drives me absolutely nuts that it's just sitting there, all festering and gross! Haha.

Also, I tend to eat my peanut butter and jelly sandwiches not smooshed together so that it'll take me longer to eat it. :P Oh, and I almost always eat the jelly side first, leaving the really yummy peanut butter for last.

Michelle125
05-13-2008, 05:19 PM
I hear you on the changing out of work clothes thing. I wore a uniform my whole life, too. So when we got home we'd have to change out of it to keep it clean.

But I did read somewhere that if you need to change as soon as you get home 'you're worried about what people think of you." Hah, I know for me that's so true. Don't know if that's why I change into 'house clothes' though!!

Michelle125
05-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Lindsey- I HAVE to pop my boyfriend's white heads. I know it's gross, but I can't help it. I won't touch anyone else's but his. If it's there, he better be prepared b/c I'm going at it!!!! I can't stand seeing it there. It must be annihilated!

OnceUponADrive
05-13-2008, 05:28 PM
I read mags back to front, too!

4myloves
05-13-2008, 05:41 PM
I told Stewart I wouldn't marry him unless he let me mash his bumps :) The fact that I didn't think that was weird should tell you how weird I am.

I also "edit" the newspaper if I happen to be holding any kind of pen or pencil while reading it. I've pretty much broken myself of that habit, though, because my co-workers were not pleased with all the markings. :(

alinnell
05-13-2008, 05:58 PM
Well, I am the weird one. I read magazines from the middle out (middle backward to the front and middle frontward to the back). I do the same with catalogs.

The other thing I do is count things. I think it's a sign of an obsessive/compulsive disorder. I've been doing it since at least junior high. I mostly do it when I'm bored--like while watching TV or riding in a car. If I'm busy with something, I don't do it at all. The weirdest thing about doing it is that things have to add up to a certain number. I'll count and recount until I get it to the "right" number.

PrettyPaula
05-13-2008, 06:10 PM
My fiance has this weird thing with even numbers... he has to have the volume set at an even number on everything... TV, stereo, Car Radio everything

my only weird thing is that i have to have a clean kitchen and bathroom sink at all times... or i get totally freaked out..

i honestly dont do anything else weird, i read magazines front to back, i dont care where the remotes are... and i couldnt give two hoots which order my clothes are in

either im lazy, or laid back... ;)

SkinnyDogMom
05-13-2008, 06:47 PM
I make lists for anything & everything! It has been accelerated due to building a new house and getting ready to move. TONS of lists for the house build and move.
I have 2 types of undies, well actually more categories, but basically 2. 1 type to wear to work or out and about (silky ones) and sleep-in or wear only around the house type (all cotton).

loserjulie
05-13-2008, 06:47 PM
My coffee table has to be perfectly parallel to the couch and the rug has to be parallel to the coffee table.

My seatbelt cannot have any twists in it.

I always thought I was a little OCD, but I work for a psychologist and he's told me I'm just weird.

2fat2jump
05-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Wow, I read magazines backwards to front also. I seriously thought I was alone on that one. Guess not! :) haha

The only weird thing I can think of that I do is I have to load the dishes in the dish washer a certain way aka my way. If my husband happens to do the dishes (every full moon) I'll sneak into the kitchen when he's not looking and rearrange them all. For whatever reason that just drives me nuts.

I'm sure if you asked DH he could come up with a lot more "weird" things that I do.

chickybird
05-13-2008, 07:32 PM
I refuse to make the bed. I just refuse! No one but me and DH sees it. And if someone else does see it, it's always someone that is a close enough friend that they wouldn't care.

PrettyPaula
05-13-2008, 07:35 PM
I refuse to make the bed. I just refuse! No one but me and DH sees it. And if someone else does see it, it's always someone that is a close enough friend that they wouldn't care.

ditto! i only make it when i change the sheets.

xGurlyGrlx
05-13-2008, 08:14 PM
Hmm... I guess we are all weird. ;)

1. I flip through magazines back to front and then read front to back.

2. ALL my clothes MUST face the right. If a shirt is put back the wrong way...I HAVE to fix it. I also have my clothes grouped and no it wouldn't make sense to just anyone...only me! I have two different sections for tank tops... and work pants.

3. I ALWAYS change out of work clothes IMMEDIATELY. I walk in the door... go right to my room and change.

4. My TV has to be on while I sleep...always on the same channel. My BF tries to put different things on because he says I don't notice. Needless to say he has to change the channel back to my approved station...hehe.

5. I have to sleep with my fan on...regardless of temperature in the room. I will be freezing and the fan has to be one for sound. I am actually getting better about that one though...I will supplement with a sound machine now if it is really cold.

6. My pens are organized at work in a cup like container. They have to all face the same way and the pens in the front must stay in the front.

I think I have severe issues.... :crazy:

junebug41
05-13-2008, 08:22 PM
If I stop the microwave before it stops itself, it can only be on an even number. Same with the volume on the remote. I have this thing with odd numbers. They completely mess up my universe.

Sweetcaroline
05-13-2008, 08:41 PM
My 'weird' thing is... I have to fold my dirty towels before I put them in the hamper... and they have to be dry...

HarpoChicoGroucho
05-13-2008, 08:46 PM
I have to sleep with my fan on too -- and I have to have at least 4 pillows on my bed (I normally have 6, but one is decorative and then one just stays on the floor all the time).
When I'm hanging wall decorations, pictures, etc. they have to EXACTLY proportionate to each other the the wall. My sconces are EXACTLY the same length away from the middle picture. My coat rack is exactly dead center on the wall in my foyer.
I also have a thing with never making numbers round -- I set my alarm for 6:57, not 7:00, I set the microwave for 2:56 instead of 3:00. I don't care about whether they are odd or even, but they just can't be round.
I usually always wake up before my alarm goes off, but occasionally I don't, and if my alarm wakes me, I consider it a bad omen for the day.
I also will grab grocery items from the back of the shelf because not as many people (or just workers) have touched them.

LindseyLouWho
05-13-2008, 09:10 PM
I usually always wake up before my alarm goes off, but occasionally I don't, and if my alarm wakes me, I consider it a bad omen for the day.
I also will grab grocery items from the back of the shelf because not as many people (or just workers) have touched them.

Oh. My. God.

I was just thinking the same thing. I guess my brain subconsciously makes a point to try and wake me up before the alarm goes off because it's a rather rude awakening, but in cases where it doesn't because my sleep schedule has gotten thrown off or I'm particularly fatigued, waking up to an alarm totally screws up my day.

Apple Cheeks
05-14-2008, 07:56 AM
I never set my alarm for exactly "7:00" or "6:30" It's always for "7:01" or something like that. Also, I have two different alarm clocks--one is a battery-powered travel alarm, and the other is a clock-radio. The clock-radio is set to go off first, and the travel alarm clock is set for about 10 minutes later.

I have the travel alarm because I am worried about the power going out and my clock radio alarm not waking me up for work. (And it has happened, so having my back-up alarm isn't that weird, I guess).

Also, I buy make-up often. I love it. The weird part is that I literally have small drawers filled with it, but I rarely wear it. :?:

jellydisney
05-14-2008, 08:14 AM
I hate riding in elevators with other people. Something about the awkwardness of standing next to strangers in a small space. So if I notice someone else waiting for the elevator, I will either decide to take the stairs instead or loiter around and wait until I can get the elevator to myself. :dizzy:

preetyladyserenity
05-14-2008, 09:40 AM
My desk has to be semi-untidy for me to study. If it is really tidy or too messy I can't concentrate. When I go to the library I spent and additional five minutes on my desk so it becomes semi-untidy.

Also I cannot stand the view of fingertips marks and any smudges on windows, mirrors and floors. You might as well shoot me. It pains me so much.

karmuz
05-14-2008, 10:06 AM
Also, I buy make-up often. I love it. The weird part is that I literally have small drawers filled with it, but I rarely wear it. :?:

I buy soap.. I have a small cabinet about the toilet in my bathroom that is literally FILLED with soap. I probably would have to take 5 showers a day for the next two years to use it all.
but i keep buying it. I totally can't help myself.

Spoz
05-14-2008, 10:08 AM
The first thing I notice about somebody are their eyebrows, and if they have BIG messy eyebrows God Help me! I cannot help but obsess over them, They need to pluck those things! I.e. when I see an old Madonna video I have to actually turn it over because I get so stressed about her brows.

And I weirdly have soap I've collected but never used to Karmuz..

ladybugnessa
05-14-2008, 10:16 AM
What is something you do that you KNOW FULL WELL is weird, strange, or abnormal... but you do it anyway?

I flip thru magazines BACKWARD. When I find something I want to read, I read it. But I continue to flip thru the dang thang BACKWARD. :dizzy: I don't know WHY I do this, but I know it's not "really normal". :D

Your turn!

OMG i thought I was the ONLY one who did this!

aphil
05-14-2008, 10:44 AM
The other thing I do is count things. I think it's a sign of an obsessive/compulsive disorder. I've been doing it since at least junior high. I mostly do it when I'm bored--like while watching TV or riding in a car.

I have been diagnosted with OCD, it runs in my family on the maternal side. From what I have researched, EVERYONE in the world has small obsessive thoughts/compulsive actions...such as the eating M&Ms by color, counting things, or having to have the hangers or clothes facing a certain way.

How they diagnose OCD, is if you have much, much more of these things than the average person (to the point where you spend a lot of time during the day with the obsessions/compulsions) and the amount of anxiety that it causes you NOT to do the compulsive activities when you have the obsessive thoughts about it.

For instance-I do the M&M thing, the hangers/clothes thing, AND the counting...and it's just the tip of the iceburg.

alinell-I relate with the counting thing. When I was a kid, I used to sit in school and count the ceiling tiles, floor tiles, etc. It even got to the point where I would count the lines in the alphabet letters on things. (Like the letter A has three lines to make it, etc.) I do the same thing with digital clocks, and it is really bad-I cannot have the digital alarm clock on my side of the bed. I will lie awake and stare at it, and count the lines that make up the numbers. (It keeps me engaged, because it changes every minute...) I do this on license plates as well, when I am driving. At times, when I am under stress, I physically cannot stop myself.

I also have to "check" my purse often, before I go to the store, in the car, in the store, and before I check out-numerous times. I have to be sure that I have my debit card, checkbook, cash, etc. The obsessive thought/fear is that I will go to checkout, and not be able to pay, hence the compulsive activity.

I could go on, but I'd be here all day. :rofl:

Most of the time, though, people don't know that I have it. I am not a compulsive handwasher or anything that would make it super obvious.

I do find the show Monk, hilarious, though-because I can relate. :lol:

jimaterry
05-14-2008, 11:04 AM
i also read my mags back to front lol

some others are:

my feet CANT EVER be covered with the blanket..it can be -100 and my feet have to stick out... i feel claustrophobic if they are covered.

volume on tv HAS to be on an even number.. i cant stand it if its on odd. and thankfully my hubby sets it to even every time cause he knows ill go nuts lol

when i turn off a burner, i cant just walk out of the kitchen without looking and making sure i really turned it off

when going somewhere i check that my wallet is in my purse.. then i check again lol

i go to sleep with the tv on the same channel each night... and the volume set to 10.. if its 12 or 8 i cant sleep.. has to be 10

i really am weird lol.. didnt knwo it till this post lol

alinnell
05-14-2008, 12:51 PM

alinell-I relate with the counting thing. When I was a kid, I used to sit in school and count the ceiling tiles, floor tiles, etc. It even got to the point where I would count the lines in the alphabet letters on things. (Like the letter A has three lines to make it, etc.) I do the same thing with digital clocks, and it is really bad-I cannot have the digital alarm clock on my side of the bed. I will lie awake and stare at it, and count the lines that make up the numbers. (It keeps me engaged, because it changes every minute...) I do this on license plates as well, when I am driving. At times, when I am under stress, I physically cannot stop myself.

I think we're related. Ceiling tiles, license plates, lines in the road, corners in the walls, sides to a window, etc. etc. etc. The hardest thing is listening to a lecture--I'd get bored, start counting, and lose track of everything that was said. It's a wonder I graduated at all!

DCchick
05-14-2008, 01:14 PM
hahahah i totally relate to alot of these! Mine:

1. I can't wait to change out of my work clothes when I get home. It's like a stress reliever for me, like taking off the stress of the day. and theyre just not as comfy as my sweats/tshirts/yoga pants, etc

2. I won't leave anything (like the tv or stereo volume) on 13. don't know why, just dont like it!

3. I memorize liscense plates of cars around me. ALL THE TIME.

4. I count things too. ceiling tiles, floor tiles, drawers, magazines on waiting room tables, etc.

GR8 2B48
05-14-2008, 01:32 PM

Your turn!

I also flip through magazines backward, so does a girl I used to work with.

modkittn
05-14-2008, 01:51 PM
I have that thing with even numbers going on too, mostly with the volume of the radio and TV.

When I eat things like pretzels, M&Ms, etc I always have to chew one piece on one side of my mouth, and the next on the other side. And it usually has to even out, like I can't eat an odd number of them. Or if I have no choice I will split the last one in half and it 1/2 on the left side and 1/2 on the right.

NoVaVTFan
05-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Some of my weird things:

At work I have three pens - a blue ink, black ink, and red ink. All 3 have to be sitting at the top of my keyboard no matter what time of day it is. Also, whenever I leave work to go home, all of my things have to be in there place - the pens, stapler, hole punch, etc. I can't stand to come back to work in morning and have anything out of place. The attorneys I work for like to leave files for me on my desk after I go home for the night and I hate this - I have designated places for them to leave files but they forget a lot of the time.

I double, triple, and quadruple check that the alarm clock is turned on every night before I go to bed. I am so scared of forgetting to turn it on and not getting up on time for work in the morning.

If we have used the stove or oven, I always go back to the kitchen 2 or 3 times to make sure they are off after we are done.

I always double check the doors to the house (back door and front door) to make sure they are locked before I leave for work.

Before I get out of the car, I always check several times to make sure all of my windows and sunroof are closed, the lights are off, etc. I'm terribly scared of forgetting this and someone breaking in or rain getting on my leather seats.

After I have used my debit/credit card at a store, when I am walking out of the store, I always double check to make sure that card is back in its place in my wallet. I have left my card behind a couple of times while shopping and I think that is what spurred that.

I'm sure I have others, but those are what come to mind right away. I probably do have some sort of OCD, but I guess I'm not the only one who has these kind of tendencies. :)

NoVaVTFan
05-14-2008, 03:13 PM
Another big one I just thought of - ever since I got engaged last October, I find myself constanting looking at my engagement ring to make sure the diamond is still there. I know there is probably very little chance of the diamond coming out of the setting because it is a very nice ring, but I am still terrified that it will just pop out someday, so I am constantly checking to make sure it is still there.

Marathon Mom
05-14-2008, 03:51 PM
My people!!! I too am anal... I enjoy order in my life. My clothes hang facing the left, sorted by shirts/pants/skirts/etc - then they are sorted by color... Lightest to darkest. Bills in my wallet, face forward lowest to highest... (I once used to iron my money - i liked it to be crisp - I don't like the old 'soft' bills) I like for everything in my house to have a "place"..

I do have some weird things that I do -

I like to floss.. throughout the day, if i can't suck air between my teeth - I have to immediately floss

I also don't like too many emails to be in my inbox.. If I have more than a page full I have to delete them.

Nada
05-14-2008, 06:20 PM
There are certain magazines that I read back to front but my wierd thing is I have to pull out all the inserts first. I absolutely HATE all those things in my magazines. And I have to eat M&M's two by two--same color if possible.

midwife
05-14-2008, 06:23 PM
I check the seals on all food I buy at the grocery store. I unscrew ketchup tops and mustard tops and check yogurt and cottage cheese seals before they go in my cart.

I check the stove, oven, and door locks one more time before bed, even if I have already checked them earlier. I cannot go to sleep without one more round.

Mom2QJandT
05-14-2008, 07:40 PM
I do a lot of the things already mentioned.

My clothes are in "rainbow order" in my closet light to dark and in different sections (tank tops, short sleeves, 3/4 sleeves, long sleeves, sweatshirts, etc...)

I don't wear work clothes at home, I have to change as soon as I get home.

I have a teeth brushing ritual that takes about 10 minutes. I cannot brush my teeth quickly, I have to do all of the steps every time. Pre-rinse, brush, floss, brush again, mouthwash.

Money in my wallet all faces the same direction and goes little to big bills.

I keep a spreadsheet of everything I eat and I save them in a file. I lost one once and spent about an hour and a half trying to recreate it so that there wouldn't be a missing week.

I also can't stand email to be in my inbox. I make folders for them to be sorted into in case I need them later. I will make a special folder for an email rather than it be in the inbox.

If I wake up at, say 6:52, I won't get up until it is a 5-minute increment like 6:55. If I lay there and it turns 6:56 I have to stay in bed until 7:00.

I won't buy the front item at the grocery, I get one from the back and I tend to buy things in threes. I'm trying very hard not to buy things in threes anymore because of how much extra we were throwing away all the time, but if I'm tired or in a hurry I notice I do it still.

I could go on and on. We all have our quirks, right? LOL

November2007
05-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Wow, I'm feeling pretty good right now. I too am not sure if I am laid back or lazy, but I do relate to a few things in here.
One of my own is that I get very excited when I get a new phone book/yellow pages. I look through it like it was a magazine (front to back).
My husband of ten years recently told me that when he has a pair of socks and one of them is slightly better than the other (no holes, we can't handle that), he always puts the better one on his right foot. No idea why. When I was making fun of him and told his mother, she replyed with...."I can understaned that."

Nightingale68
05-21-2008, 06:01 PM
I think of myself as a read it all freak. I can't help myself. books, tags, magazines, ads, leaflets, anything that i can get my hands on and has words printed on, i must read completely.
I also read the newspaper back to front, usually take my time reading through all the classifieds, love finding weird stuff in them

Kim_Star060404
05-21-2008, 06:21 PM
My fiance has this weird thing with even numbers... he has to have the volume set at an even number on everything... TV, stereo, Car Radio everything

I do this as well, especially when eating (in my former life ;)) M&M's - one for each side of the mouth and if there is one left at the end, into the trash it goes. Ice cubes have to be even #s, as does the tv volume and etc., etc.

I also check on our dogs in the back yard to make sure they're alive all the time. Don't know why. If I could call them while I was at work to check, I would.

CandyKisses0204
05-21-2008, 06:29 PM
I eat everything in a circle. Sandwiches i eat around and keep turning it until i get to the last bite in the middle. I also do this with my plate. I will eat all my veggies aroud the outside and work my way in then spin my plate a little and so the same with my meat and pasta...

2fat2jump
05-21-2008, 08:14 PM
My husband of ten years recently told me that when he has a pair of socks and one of them is slightly better than the other (no holes, we can't handle that), he always puts the better one on his right foot. No idea why. When I was making fun of him and told his mother, she replyed with...."I can understaned that."

"I can understand that..." too funny! :lol:

Marathon Mom
05-22-2008, 12:22 PM
I also just realized I do something else weird. I have an area rug in my bathroom. When I get out of the shower and put lotion on I have to stand on the rug. I can't stand infront of the vanity on the tile - I have to take about 3 steps back - onto the rug - and put it on.. Not sure why??! I thought about not stepping on the rug and I couldn't do it... I do everything else (make-up, hair) in front of the vanity on the tile.. but not the lotion. Hmmmmm