Old 05-13-2008, 11:26 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/144/135

Height: 5'6

Default question

I've been on w.w before, lost 70 and I've lost another 81 this time around am about 9 lbs away from goal. However, how does w.w go by the chart? they say for my height i can be 127. I'm at 144 and already am a size 6. How do they get their chart and weight standards? Should I talk to my doctor and have measurements done or something.. I ask because I don't think it's particularly right to judge someone by a height when bone structure, muscle and so on play a larger part than someones height.
friend2borrowx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:09 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Do you go to meetings? 127 sounds low for the high end of 5'6".

If you're trying to get to goal weight for lifetime membership, I'd suggest using their highest number on the chart that you can. (Less time paying.)

I've noticed some people who use the online version seem to be seeing a different chart and mentioning different suggested weights. So that's why I ask if you're a meeting-going member.

It really is just a height/weight chart...

If you want an expert opinion, it's best to go to your doctor. And, if you can, get a note saying that you're at a healthy weight. Weight Watchers will accept a note from a doctor.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:11 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/tickers/127

Height: 5'

Friend2,

First of all, congratulations on your inspiring loss... That is wonderful!!

About your questions, Faerie has such great advice, I don't really have more to add.

I just wanted to say that I agree with you!! Dh & I were just talking about the whole weight/height / BMI thing. I often share this...

I am only 5'. According to the BMI, I should be between something like 98 and 127 lbs (roundabouts). But lemme tell ya'...

In HS, I knew a girl who was the same height as me, but couldn't have been more than 98 lbs...and it looked just right on her!! She was very petite, very small-framed. It worked.

For me... I was about 122 when I graduated HS, and went between that and 135 during college. Even at 130-135 I was about an 8, and I was happy with that! The summer before my last year in college, I must have dropped down to 120 or less (wasn't keeping track, but was VERY busy, taking classes, working as a waitress, walking a few miles a day, eating light b/c of my schedule, etc). I saw pictures of myself from the beginning of my senior year in college that year, and I was almost TOO skinny, in my mind. Collar bone really sticking out and such.

I know that I am on the high-end of a medium frame. Almost a large frame. 98 would never, ever, ever look right on me. I'd look like a skeleton!!

Somewhere, my husband has a military guideline for weight and it DOES take into consideration frame size. And the weight ranges are more generous because of this.

So, just wanted to tell you I agree with you. There are other things...e.g. muscle mass vs. fat mass. You could have a lot of muscle. Doctors should have a body fat caliper thing to measure, which might make the difference for you as well.

I like Faerie's recommendation to choose your goal from the higher end of your range...for Lifetime membership sake.

Last edited by luvmyfam; 05-14-2008 at 12:13 AM.
luvmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:15 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Your doctor can also write a goal weight for you, that differs from their charts, and WW will honor that.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:43 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 225/144/135

Height: 5'6

thank you-I will go to the doctor and see what he says..
I mainly just wanted to see if others agreed or thought that their goal weight seemed low.
friend2borrowx is offline   Reply With Quote