Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-12-2008, 03:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/146/140

Height: 5ft 4in

Default Shocked!!!

Hope all had a Happy Mother's Day!!! Mine was one without power !!! Darn storms....

Today I saw a woman that I worked with a bit back. She is the first person that I knew to have Gastric Bypass. She lost mucho weight from it and as of 2003 (about 2yrs post op) was still losing. When I saw her today I was SHOCKED to see that she had put almost all of the weight back on! It has been about 7 yrs since she had surgery. My question is..is it "normal" to gain some back? I know that watching what we eat is key to this lifestyle change. I can't imagine going through all the hoops, having surgery, and then eventually gaining it back that drastically!!

My hubby has been worried about this surgery. It all came to a head on Friday. He has all of these questions, some I can answer, some not so much. I worry that the powers that be will say he's not supportive enough of this decision. I told him to ask the surgeon when it is time for my meeting with him. Any suggestions of easing his mind? He says he's supportive and I hope he's being truthful. Any suggestions are invited
Jiggly Wiggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 263/249/125

Height: 5'4"

I know of four folks who had the surgery, two are at their pre-op weights. One is still looking great, but honestly that girl has other issues. She's been taken from the office 3 times for passing out because she won't eat. One didn't lose all she wanted and good golly does she need the skin tightening surgery! She'd look seriously better and a lot thinner if she did.

Guess it depends a lot on where your head is before the surgery and what it is exactly that you expect to get out of it. You'll still have to watch what and how much you're eating. One of my four isn't having a problem per se with what she's eating, it's what she's drinking. You have to watch out for everything, moreso than now. If you aren't willing to do that, it won't be the magic fix and solve all your problems.
kappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:53 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I haven't had WLS but I think you can find a lot of support here from others who have. One thing I would have to say is no matter how you lose the weight, I've always heard that maintenance is the hardest part.

I agree that it depends where you are in your head when you have the surgery. If you look for it to be a cure-all, then you probably aren't in the right frame of mind. If you look at it as a tool to help you, then I think it can be just that.

I believe the success rates are published and from what I've read, I believe 5% of those who have WLS get to their goal weight. A much higher percentage lose a large percentage of their weight and are able to maintain. The failure rate is close to 50% though. (gain weight back)

I did know someone who had the surgery and looked for it to be her cure-all. She weighed nearly 400 lbs, lost over 100 then gained most of it back. Of course for those stories, you can find others who have lost large amounts of weight and have been able to maintain it.

One thing I'd say is use this website as a tool as well for your weight loss journey. Studies have shown that support in weight loss is very important, again no matter how you lose it.

Last edited by nelie; 05-12-2008 at 04:53 PM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:36 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

BREATHE jiggly - yes - regain happens. there comes a point where the good habits HAVE TO BE CONTINUED. this isn't a diet - it's a completely different way of living. and it is indeed possible to out-eat the tool

that's why there's so much counseling and emphasis on eating right and exercising. it's pretty much up to the individual, however. we all gotta make the choice about how we're going to live.

having said that, however, i'm here to tell you that, 6 years out, i've regained about 25 pounds [completely my issue - stress from 6 years of taking care of the alzheimer's mom]. and i'm now losing again - slowly, but losing. need to exercise more, but i'm eating better.

as for your husband's concerns - he's MORE THAN WELCOME to show up here and ask ANY AND ALL questions. we'll tell him the truth - as we see it. and maybe that'll help you both make up your minds.

so glad you had the courage to post this on here - it's a REAL issue, and it's gotta be considered and discussed.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 316/SD300/254/180 RNY 3-4-08

Height: 5'8

Yes, I think that it all depends on where you head is when you head into this. Its not always the easist of roads. But like the doc said. "I can ask you to go out and dig a hole 7 ft deep, you will get it done but if I give you a tool like a shovel (in this caseWLS) it is easier to achieve the goal.
whitelion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 260/146/140

Height: 5ft 4in

I completely understand that it's not a cure-all. I think I was shocked because she was the one who carried a food scale, journal, and nutritional info everywhere she went. Jiffy, I understand the stress (my mom has had MS since 1996, deteriorating pretty rapidly) I've already started to trade stress eating for a healthier Stress Exercising. I go through my 3 month pre approval hoop on Friday. One month closer!!!! I think I will tell hubby to pop on...you know it might be interesting to have a section for loved ones to ask questions and get out their feelings. I'm sure they have as many questions and fears as we do..and you all have been wonderful to me!!!!
Jiggly Wiggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:15 AM   #7  
Old Cackler

my heart goes out to you, Jiggly - and if there's anything we can do to help - even if it's as simple as letting you rant - we're here for ya!

as for the LOVED ONES section - hmmm. interesting question. we've had loved ones pop in and ask the occasional question, but it's actually kind of unusual.

suggest that your husband start a thread with a title like: SOS re Wife's WLS or HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT WIFE'S WLS. just anything so that we know that it's not about HIS surgery, but about someone else's.

as for that woman being all gung-ho and NOW look at her. here's my two cents - for EVERYONE - no matter how they lose the weight - the end result HAS TO BE a lifestyle that the person can sustain, and maintain the weight loss. if the plan is too complicated - maybe one that involves diaries, weighing and measuring every mouthful - whatever- it's not something that most people [other than the most obsessive/compulsive among us] can live with over the long haul.

it's all about finding our own personal balance.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default Lifestyle Change?!?!?

I've lost a hundred pounds before and as soon as I quit my "diet" I gained it back. I don't think WLS is any different. I've had almost seven months to start a new lifestyle and I struggle everyday to make sure it is something that I can live with. I know that lots and lots of WLS patients live in constant fear of gaining weight back. Right now I'm all gungho and hope I always stay that way, but in reality if I do like I've done in my "previous life", it could happen to me. I seen my sister this weekend and I can't really remember how many years out she is from WLS, but she is gaining and it is really painful for me and I'll bet for her, but she hasn't said a word to me about my WLS and about her gain. She did tell me that her iron was down and she had to have iron supplements and labs every three months. I asked her how she was taking her pills and she told me "regularly"?!? I asked her if she was breaking them up, and how close to dairy she was taking them. She had no idea what I was talking about!I know she has been under tremendous stress, because her son was just sent to prison for attempted murder, which she won't talk about either!! My heart goes out to her and I'm so afraid that I will be following in her footsteps with weight regain. And I heard the comment from my mom "Well, you have to be on a diet the rest of your life!" "No", I said, "a lifestyle change!!" So, pick up as many good habits as you can during the first years, get support, keep your doctor appointments, don't drink water with your food, keep up your supplements, eat protein first, don't graze and make exercise a regular part of your life. I never judge a fat person because in a blink of an eye, I could be back there. AND I NEVER WANT TO GO BACK THERE AGAIN!!
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:45 PM   #9  
my girls

S/C/G: 379/341/180

Height: 5'7

you all are correct, WLS is a tool for an addiction and sometimes those addictions have to be transfered to something else. alcolol, drugs, and sex are some of the ones that i have heard of. sometimes you get stuck in the "oh you look good after 20 pounds" let me lose 40. be careful, and if you need to see somebody, go see somebody. love ya all
mistymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:47 PM   #10  
Queen of Everything

Height: 5'5

i have 5 family members (extended family on my mother's side) that have had surgery. the one the furthest out is pretty average now (not skinny, but normal, and good results - she was over 350 at the start) - tho there was a period where she gained a decent portion back because she was eating junk - when she stays on track she seems to do well. two of the others never got anywhere near their goal, but they didn't really change their habits at all (even almost immediately after the surgery they were eating all sorts of bad things, even with 'dumping'... i can't imagine just forcing myself to go through that). i haven't seen one and the other is fairly recent - but she seems to be doing well and following the 'rules' - she looks great so far.
Mdae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:53 AM   #11  
my girls

S/C/G: 379/341/180

Height: 5'7

it is just a tool, you have to change your life! if you work it it will work for you. i sound like a 12 step program lol
mistymed is offline   Reply With Quote