Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-12-2008, 02:52 PM   #1  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

Default Frozen Fruit

I love fruit, but I can't get my hubby to even touch the stuff lol. Buying fruit has always been a problem because I buy more then 1-2 pieces and it goes bad before I can eat it all. And I am insanely picky about my fruit being perfect lol.

I decided to try some frozen fruit since I can just leave it in the freezer and it will not go bad so quick.

But I am totally a moron when it comes to anything kitchen related. So without sounding too stupid...

Should I just seperate a serving and toss it in the fridge to thaw a good amount of time before using it? Would like the night before be long enough to be thawed for breakfast. I mostly am just gonna toss them on some special k waffles in the morning..and try to find some other ideas to use more fruit.

I did hear some people say they like to use frozen fruit as ice cubes in water! How cute I have to try that.
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I put mine still frozen in yogurt. When I want it over a waffle or toast, I pop it in the microwave for about 20 secs. It takes the icy edge off and makes it nice and mushy to spread around. Yummy.

You can also set out a serving in the fridge the night before you're going to use it (if you plan that far ahead!).

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I love frozen wild blueberries (pop a few while still frozen as a treat!) and cherries. I use the microwave method too -- half power so I don't get hot spots. Then I add it to cold cereal or yogurt . Other fruits I buy fresh and keep most in the fridge with only a few in the fruit bowl (I like fruit at room temp). When I eat one, I replace it from the fridge.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I do exactly what PhotoChick does.

Good idea on your part to buy frozen fruit. I am like you, but I am learning not to be quite so picky and eat fresh fruit. I am still pretty picky, but I am trying.

One thing about frozen fruit: Some of it has a lot of added sugar. I try to get the kind with no added sugar and sweeten it with a little honey if I need to. I just feel like I have more control if I add my own sweetener.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:16 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've never seen frozen fruit with sugar? Maybe because I just buy the same thing all the time.

I buy tons of frozen fruit and fresh. The frozen I generally use for smoothies. Sometimes I will thaw out frozen strawberries/blueberries a little and eat them in a bowl. If I'm eating cereal, I'll add them as well.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I didn't expect to find sugar in frozen fruit, but in my stores they carry more with added sugar than without. If not for my label reading habits, I would never have known.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote