PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:55 PM   #1  

Default Cysts

Hello Everyone

I know this is really a weightloss board, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience or knowledge of the other side of PCOS.

Last year in March I ended up in the ER with lower right sided abdomenial pain. After different test, they said it was a cyst on my ovary.

This year Begining of April I end up in the ER again, pain muuuuch worse. This a ruptured cycst on the ovary. GYN says there's really nothing to do. I'm lucky some women get them every 3 months. I couldn't bare that.

I had a partial hysterectomy 4 yrs ago, ovaries left. Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks
CIRCLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:50 PM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I will say right now I do not have PCOS, just ovarian cysts, so I may not be helpful at all. When I had a large ovarian cyst (10 inches in diameter, cut circulation off my ovary and killed it), I had to have surgery to remove it. They found other cysts starting in there on my other ovary while they were doing the surgery. My surgeon called me a "cyst farm" and put me on birth control pills to prevent cysts. I don't know if you can't take the pill with PCOS, but that's been my course of action against the cysts.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

I have PCOS but my cysts are small and minimal, so sometimes I'll feel a tiny 'twinge' of pain in the middle of a cycle (my cycle can be 75 days... so, whenever, really!). So I don't have experience with large serious cysts that need medical attention. If you have PCOS they usually recommend birth control pills to regualte everything.

What is your diet like? Any foods that are inflammatories, such as sugar, simple carbs, wheat, dairy, and meat can aggravate cysts. I ate meat and dairy regularly for about a month after being vegan for a while, and my ovaries felt like they were on fire. Then I went 80% vegan (with a few meat and dairy treats on weekends) and the pain stopped almost the next day. If I eat animal products for a few days in a row I will feel ovary pain.

So if you clean up your diet to be very organic, include lots of legumes for protein, and lots of produce, most likely the cysts will slow down and also shrink. Also avoiding wheat is good as well. Go for spelt or brown rice breads and pastas instead.

This is from years of researching and going to quite a few nutritionists. They've advised that animal products, wheat, and sugar are very aggravating to cysts and growths.
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/250/140

Height: 5'7"

First off , cause I've been there and know how much those darn things hurt!

The first time I got a really bad I was sick as a dog all day! I called my friend to come and take me to my doctor's appt that afternoon because I couldn't drive. And when I called my mom to let her know what was up, she asked around at work (she works for a health insurance place, and we had no idea what was happening), and they though it might be my appendix so they sent her home and we went to the ER. It was the in take nurse who releized it was probably a cyst when I told him what I was on as far as meds, and he asked if I had PCOS, when I said yes, he got back there right a way (yay him, I'd been to this ER before it usually takes forever!). They did a scan, and there it was. It rapurted a little while later, and its buddies (two) on the other side followed suit the next day.

Since then, I've had it happen a few more times. But now I know the signs and don't go to the ER inless its really bad pain I can't handle. Usually a nice warm shower will help me feel better, and then I take a little something to help me sleep.

I was told the same thing as you. They can't really do anything for me. Aside from prescribe vicoden to get through. I am on BCP, and that helps the cysts from happening. The way my doc explained is that it forces my ovary to realse the egg into the falopian tube, rather then it going onto my ovary (which causes the cyst). Thats about the only thing thats helped me so far. Anytime had one of the cyst I wasn't on BCP.
rockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:21 PM   #5  

I actually take a natural supplement calle chaste tree (recommended by my doctor and something that should be taken under a doctor's care). It helped my cysts disappear and a year later I am completely cyst free and they are staying away. I had a large one that sent me to the hospital and they also thought it was my appendix. The supplement got rid of this cyst in less than 6 weeks without rupturing.
pedsowk82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:09 PM   #6  

Height: 5'4"

I go months with no problem but then it seems I get them in pairs and it is excrutiating. I've been told nothing can be done to stop them from rupturing. Chasteberry is a well known herb for gynecological problems and I an a HUGE proponent of homeopathic remedies BUT

PLEASE before you start any herbal remedy CHECK FOR INTERACTIONS. Just because it is NATURAL does not mean it can't interact with meds. There is a good reason why many such "supplements" are NOT approved by the FDA (not that I am a big fan of the FDA). If you use a supplement make sure it is from a reputable company or better yet get it yourself if you are knowledgeable in that area but ALWAYS CHECK FOR INTERACTIONS.

Ellie is taking it under her doctors care - GOOD FOR YOUR DOCTOR - many won't recommend such remedies - they don't make money off of them and get "rewards" from drug companies for prescribing those.
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote