Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-08-2008, 09:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Default Help from Hindsight

In the weight loss community we often plan. Fail to plan, is planning to fail. You've all heard that. We make goals, plan menus, pick and exercise routine ...

...and ...

We beat ourselves up about the past. We mull over past mistakes and the terrible things we did yesterday.

I was think about a calm, reflective practice.

Let's try, in this thread, to look at yesterday with an eye to improving the future.

Here's my example.

The other day I got ready a few minutes early (2:15 pm) and stopped at the bank on my way to work.

The bank is four blocks from here.

Upon reflection ... I could have easily walked to the bank earlier in the day.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:47 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Susan, my bank is close to where I get my car worked on, so yesterday I DID walk to the bank from the auto shop. I even had the brilliant idea ahead of time. I was so proud of myself.

What I got from your post is that time management needs to be part of the "life-style change" that I am always yapping about. Planning my time is just as important as planning what I am going to eat for lunch.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:54 AM   #3  

Maybe we should add a 'lesson learned' portion to our posts. Let me try ... I have another example.

I have been using an instant breakfast in my shake the last few mornings. I bought it because I was out of protein powder. When I got more protein powder, I kept using the instant breakfast for new and fun flavours.
And ... I've been over calories three days in a row. It has twice as many calories as my protein powder and a jillion times as many carbs!

Upon reflection ... I have fruit in the freezer for shakes.

Lesson learned ... pay attention to everything I put in my mouth!
Old 05-08-2008, 01:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I promised myself to buy no granola bars - ever - again because they are triggers for me. Well, someone on here was talking about Cliff Bars and I saw them on sale at the grocery, so I bought a few. My denial told me that they aren't "really" granola bars....

Even though I read the lable, can figure out that 250 calories is more of a meal replacement than a snack, I ate them as a snack. Plus I was thinking about them all the time, couldn't wait to get one......So...

Upon reflection I have been doing quite well using fruit and vegetables as snacks and my general plan calls for "fresh and unprocessed".

Lesson learned NO BARS. I knew that.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:59 PM   #5  

I hate the lessons I have to learn more than once .... THE most!
Old 05-08-2008, 03:49 PM   #6  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

This is a great idea for a thread. I've recently gotten back on tract after a long period of time where I was avoiding the reality that I need to be focused at all times. Anyway, I thought I could just "pay attention" to what I was eating and I really didn't need to track anything. Having done that, in three months, I put on 12 of the pounds that I took off last year.

Upon reflection I need to keep track and I need to work hard to stay on track.

Lesson Learned: I don't have the ability to self-monitor without assistance from my notebook or accountability threads. What worked before is good and I'm back to doing what worked before.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

I allow myself one low cal dessert every night. Last week I decided to buy Dove mini chocolate ice cream bars (70 calories each) instead of my usual Skinny Cow ice cream dessert (80 calories each) because they looked good and I figured I could have just one bar each night.

Upon Reflection: I knew how deliciously addictive Dove chocolate is and should have known that I wouldn't be able to stop after one.

Lesson Learned: I'm sticking with the Skinny Cows! They are tasty, low cal, AND not delicious enough that I have to have two of them (or three, or four, or five...)
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:00 PM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

I went out to eat at Panera--I hadn't been there before--and I ordered the Asiago roast beef sandwich. Later I looked up the calories.

Upon reflection: I could have guessed that cheese and roast beef on rich bread would have WAY too many calories...

Lesson learned: Look up the nutrition information before you go, not after!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote