100 lb. Club - What kitchen aids help you with dieting?

gaia3
05-07-2008, 06:11 PM
I have several "kitchen aids" that help with my dieting. Since I live alone, I have one of those little George Forman Grills that just makes the yummiest meats. I also have a sandwich maker that is pretty cool. I'm even able to use it to make single serving "cakes" and "tarts". I use my blender a lot to make low fat floats, and delicious fruit slurpies... but one of my absolutely favorite things is a Crisper Oven pan...I love "fried" baked fries that I cut myself and it makes "fried" chicken and all kinds of "fried" foods crispy. The food is much crispier and cooks faster than on a cookie sheet. I love it. I bought it here: http://www.wdrake.com/walterdrake/Shopping/ProductDetail.aspx?CID=Kitchen&SCID=Food+Preparation&ProductID=0000121114

So, what do you use to "help"?

For your sandwich maker, here's some good recipe websites--you can "tweak" them however you need to make them more "friendly" to whatever diet you are on.
http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook.php?bookid=93932
http://www.grouprecipes.com/s/sandwich-maker/recipe/1/relevancy
Here's a pizza recipe--so good!!!
http://parentingteens.about.com/od/sandwichmakerrecipes/r/sandwich_a.htm

dixied
05-07-2008, 06:52 PM
I can't live without my food processor or my digital kitchen scale. Eyeballing food portions doesn't work for me, so I measure everything. I paid a little more for a digital because it had a "tare" feature. I can put the container on the scale, hit the tare button, and it zeros back out. Very helpful.

Fat Chick B Gone
05-07-2008, 07:04 PM
Ditto on the digital scale! I love mine and have become slightly obsessed ;) I "test" myself and have gotten quite good at recognizing what portions are which comes in handy when eating out/at friends/etc. My blender and steamer are tied for second!

Beverlyjoy
05-07-2008, 07:11 PM
I like my stainless steel collapsible steamer - I use that alot for veggies. I have an emersion blender that I use for smoothies, fruit drinks and soups. DH is a stickler for good sharp knives - and they are wonderful for chopping all those veggies. I have three sets of measuring cups and spoons. Seems like a go thru those all day long. And, my crockpot is wonderful for throwing together something tastey and healthy early in the day. Also, my microwave.

Lyn2007
05-07-2008, 07:17 PM
The trash can.

It's great for when things are just tempting me TOO much. Couldn't lose weight without it.

nelie
05-07-2008, 07:19 PM
digital scale
vitamix (every morning I make a shake)
tupperware like items (glass for microwaveable, plastic for other - make my lunch every day)
knives (can't live without a set of good knives and a cutting board)

Those are what I'd rate as the top. Others include rice cooker and pressure cooker.

famograham
05-07-2008, 07:31 PM
My Cuisinart digital scale (LOVE IT) and my good old fashioned measuring cups!!

cheetara
05-07-2008, 07:33 PM
A rice cooker - doubles as a steamer and it's what I use to cook big batches of chicken, as my George is broken now.

fiberlover
05-07-2008, 08:12 PM
digital scale
toaster oven
bullet blender

thistoo
05-07-2008, 08:16 PM
What would I do without my Vitamix? That's a thought too terrible to contemplate. I also love my rice cooker. And my yogurt maker, though it's time-consuming so I never use it. Pity, because homemade really does taste better.

angeline
05-07-2008, 08:29 PM
my scale...which isn't a digital but i love it anyway
my blender - i make a smoothie almost once a day

what else do i use frequently? my strainer - to wash all my blueberries
my calphalon grill during the winter and now that it's getting nice out we'll be using our outdoor grill.

and my laptop, which isn't a kitchen aid, but it does live on the kitchen bar area and i use all the time visiting my healthy motivating websites including
3fc and the daily plate.

ladybugnessa
05-07-2008, 08:46 PM
my microwave for my oatmeal every morning
my coffee pot for my coffee
my very old chop-chop micro food processor (does about half a cup at a time) and was my mothers.... use it to make fine flour out of oatmeal
my good knives and cutting board
my mini trashcan on the counter so i don't have to walk back and forth to the trash when i'm cooking

trailgroomer
05-07-2008, 09:09 PM
It's my measuring cups that are shaped like bowls and are from 1/8 to 2 cups - perfect for measuring out exact amounts

:carrot:

trailgroomer

FB
05-07-2008, 10:21 PM
I'm an appliance ho- but my first choices for healthy:
My digital scale
Love my big monster juicer
Food processor
My Kitchen Aid mixer and various attachments
OHOHOH- ETA- my George Foreman

And you know what makes me happiest? Because regardless of what I cook it makes the meal seem complete- my Le Creuset Cookware collection. My MIL gives them to me on every special occasion, that rocks.

xGurlyGrlx
05-07-2008, 10:25 PM
Hmm...mine would be my stainless steel steamer. I love it!! I steam all my veggies. I have to agree with the sharp knives and cutting boards. VERY important! I also like my blender...I am getting reacquainted with it. ;)

Mom2QJandT
05-07-2008, 10:29 PM
I have a scoop that is 2 Tbsp which is perfect for portion control of things like sour cream, peanut butter, salad dressing, etc... It's stainless steel and it's like an ice cream scoop and it has a little thing that scrapes the food out. I love it and couldn't do this without it!

WebRover
05-07-2008, 11:06 PM
Microwave
Sharp knives and multiple sizes & types of cutting boards
Gas grill (just outside my kitchen)
Espresso/Latte side of the coffeemaker

PhotoChick
05-07-2008, 11:31 PM
my digital scale, without any doubt or hesitation! :)
george forman grill
cuisinart mini-prep (like a mini food processor)
the freezer (I know ... seriously, but I precook and freeze a lot of stuff)

gaia3
05-08-2008, 10:56 AM
It's great for when things are just tempting me TOO much. Couldn't lose weight without it. This has to be the best...LOL ;)

My digital scale is at work, so I have to eyeball or use the palm of my hand for sizes...but the measuring cups and spoons are used daily.

Oh, I also have an individual coffee maker that I use daily at work. If I get hungry, I can make 1 cup of coffee with Splenda and a non dairy creamer. I also have one at home and use it a few times a week as well.

Very good choices you all! I've discovered quite a few "aids" I might want to try!!

jillybean720
05-08-2008, 11:47 AM
I really love my Magic Bullet. If I use a blender to make my smoothies, I always end up making too much, but the Bullet lets me make my smoothies right in the cup.

And cheap plastic containers. I use things like Gladware constantly. And if it gets icky in the microwave or something, it's so cheap to replace. I love all the different sizes that are available so I can portion things out appropriately and store in the fridge or freezer.

pintobean
05-08-2008, 11:52 AM
:) Ah so many things...I love kitchen gadgets

- Digital scale (zeroes out)
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mini counter trash can (as ladybug said saves going back and forth)
- Food Saver with it's containers and storage bags (to store away extra food w/o freezer burns)
- Calorie guide, notebook, to keep track of what we're eating
- Cuisinart Mini food prep
- Great sharp knives
- Coffee maker (cannot live without)
- Microwave and toaster oven
- Calphalon pots and pans for great non stick cooking ;)
- Rice cooker

Oh also my 13" tv even though it's not a kitchen aid it keeps me entertained while I cook :D

AutumnHarvest
05-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Blender
Yogurt Maker
Ice Cream Maker (See item above.)
CrockPot

Mrs Snark
05-08-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm in love with my digital food scale. :love: The tare feature between adding each item makes the whole process so fast and easy -- and accurate!

rockinrobin
05-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Oh, I got lots. Off the top of my head:

-lemon reamer
-garlic press
-kitchen shears
-Cuisinart Santakou Knife
-cutting board
-vegetable peeler
-immersion blender
-non-stick pans
-plastic containers
-stainless steel hand grater

Freem06
05-08-2008, 01:57 PM
crockpot
flavorwave oven

Paula

Czarria
05-08-2008, 02:13 PM
my measuring cups and scales. I've actually been paying attention to recommended serving sizes and would be lost without the cups.

Also,.. and I don't think this is a tool, but hey, it helped.
I printed off some really foxy pictures of my favorite plus size model Mia Tyler.
(I'm not aiming for skinny, just healthy and she is my desired body model).
I put them all over the refrigerator, ..that way if I go in there to eat (or binge), i'm like "hey.. mia is a fox. I can be a fox, I dont need no stinking snack.".

gaia3
05-08-2008, 05:33 PM
Hmm, that's a good idea Czarria, but maybe I could do something opposite--put a big picture of me up on the refridgerator...that ought to gross the hungry right out of me... :lol:

Czarria
05-08-2008, 06:51 PM
I thought of that too, but then I thought it would also gross the hunger right out of everyone in my house too,, and that seems unfair. :rofl:

bluex
05-08-2008, 11:19 PM
I order of importance.

1. Vegetable Steambags from ziploc (zipnsteam)
2. George Foreman Grill
3. Measuring cups and spoons
4. Digital scale though, this less so because I use the measuring cups more.

gaia3
05-09-2008, 01:39 AM
Well, I live alone, so I don't have to worry about grossing anyone out and a couple of my cats need to lose a couple of pounds as well--especially Silkie--she "dun lap" into the floor.... LOL

WOW bluex! YOu go girl!!! You should be extremely pleased with yourself!!

TheBabies
05-11-2008, 09:13 PM
I use my salad spinner thing a lot (when I'm not in my high-lazy days and just buy an overpriced bag of salad). I use that and make a huge salad for the whole week much cheaper. I also started branching out and getting good accessories for the salads (olives, capers, red onions, chickpeas).

And my George Foreman grill, which I'll be using to make shish-kabobs tomorrow.

CostCo: they have cheap Fiber One bars and really cheap baby lettuce salads (again, for the high-lazy days).

LisaF
05-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Here's one I haven't seen mentioned. I just discovered recently, but I already can tell that I will never stop using it.

Reynold's Wrap Release. It's a non-stick aluminum foil, and it really is completely non-stick. I line baking trays with it and don't have to use oil or a non-stick spray. When I make things like sweet potato fries, I don't have to use any oil. They just literally slide off. I even reheated a piece of pizza on it (in the toaster oven). The cheese melted, but slid right off the foil without even becoming stretchy. It's awesome.

Lisa

gaia3
05-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Oh, wow, I'll have to try that Reynold's wrap release! I use aluminum foil almost everyday and spray and spray! I'll still use my baking criper pan for "fried" baked foods, but for other stuff, I'll definitely use that new wrap!!

maass1981
05-13-2008, 10:48 AM
we also have a small george foreman grill. it is so usefull. but i must say that the items i can't live without are my measuring cups and spoons. we use them many times daily. and my scale which is not digital, but works just fine.;)

sxulcmnky
05-13-2008, 01:00 PM
i can't live without ziplock steamer bags... i love them oh so much

dgramie
05-13-2008, 01:54 PM
1/2 cup measuring cup( seems like that is a serving of so many items)

blender for making smoothies

non stick skillet

a small plate that doesnt match my dishes at all.I eat all my meals on it!!
Ithink it has really helped with controling my portions.

gaia3
05-14-2008, 12:17 PM
dgramie, I think that smaller plates do work miracles! Even when we conciously KNOW that the plate is smaller, our "animal brain" just doesn't register it...sort of like giving a young child a choice between 7 pennies or a dime. lol You can even tell that child he can buy more with a dime, but he still wants the "more" physical amount of the pennies. LOL Same with us--if we have a bigger plate, then we eat "more" whether we actually want it or not! :dizzy: