General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2002, 01:38 PM   #1  

Default weight loss for cows

Ive been doing low carb for a while following a diet my Dr. gave me and nothing is happening so I was thinking of trying one of those weight loss products. I got this add in the mail about a product called Micro-cal and apparently it is all natural the main ingredient in it is navy bean.They discovered the navy bean causes weight loss when a field of cows eating navy bean plants were losing weight instead of putting on the beef. Any how I guess I can take a lesson from these weight loss cows, and go on this microcal diet. Has anyone else tried this???I need to lose weight badly and have tried almost every method out there with little or no success. I have trouble exercising because of joint problems.Help me out here!!!
Old 03-08-2002, 02:57 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default What is it this week?

"Crazy fad diet week" or what?

I've been seeing stuff like...bean diets...eat nothing but raw vegetables diet...etc.

Cows are VERY different from humans. First off they have seven stomachs, and they chew cud. In other words their digestive systems are VASTLY different from ours.

I'm getting the impression that you read the 'navy bean/cow' connection in an ad for this pill. I might as well tell you now - those pills will only make your wallet lighter. That goes for just about every single 'diet pill' out there...any pounds you might lose in the beginning are from a placebo effect.

What you need to do is decide what YOU want in life. Do you want to be lean and fit, happy and healthy (of course the trade off is going to be drastically reducing your intake or 'just saying no' to such things as bread, cookies, hot dogs etc) or do you want to eat whatever you feel like and be fat and miserable for the rest of your life? It's a harsh choice that I had to make myself. I once WAS that obese couch potato snarfing up pizza, McDonald's, half-gallons of ice cream, while in front of the TV feeling miserable and just WISHING for a miracle diet pill or fat sucking machine.

And I gotta tell you...speaking as a size four at this point...sure I miss having junk food when other people around me are pigging out. But rather than the momentary pleasure of sugar and fat, I MUCH prefer the feeling of being lean, fit, HAPPY, confident, STRONG...

And guess what? I still get to indulge myself. Once a week, I have whatever I'm craving and really enjoy it, rather than stuffing it guiltily down my throat without really tasting it.

Again, it's a choice you have to make. But those pills advertised in magazines, newspapers and infomercials are NOT the answer.

Sorry about the lecture...just my two cents...
Old 03-08-2002, 07:31 PM   #3  

Mrs Jim, you should do a collage of yourself in that polka dot dress (you were over 200 lbs then, correct) and your new size 4 bad self. Large women will listen to a woman who was once a large woman and is now a size 4. Honestly....MrsJim is a woman who KNOWS.

Aprilsnow:
I used to think that nothing worked too...but exercise is key. I, too, have joint problems. I have arthritic neck, back, knees and shin splints that can get so bad I find it hard to walk a flat surface. I have inner ear problems that sometimes make the room spin and exercise impossible. I have hormonal highs and lows that make it harder to lose weight and sometimes the medication for it makes me gain weight for no apparent reason. Some days I feel like I have every reason in the world to not exercise (and some days I do) but the key to permanent weight loss is frequent balanced meals that include both protein and carbs and
EXERCISE.

EXERCISE, EXERCISE and EXERCISE. Sorry, I hate it too (well I like weights but I hate cardio) and my joints ache so much sometimes (just today I was doing squats and thought my knees would blow out) but it's the only way to make a difference. The joint pain does get less when you weigh less.

THERE IS NO MIRACLE CURE. There is no magic pill. Something that makes cows lose weight is just silly. They also eat grass...would you want to do that???????

Don't buy this stuff. Start exercising slowly and work up. Do massage. swimming and yoga for your joints (I just started yoga and felt the difference immediately). YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Sorry if this sounds harsh. I don't mean to be, but I know exactly where you are and I know you don't have to stay there.

Susan
Old 03-30-2002, 10:42 AM   #4  
Simply Noble

S/C/G: 320/258/175

Height: 5'4"

ummm..... I'm prety sure all the cows I milked had four stomachs!

My father in law told me about something similar that was very popular a long time ago. They told the same story about cows loosing weight eating kidney beans. He also told me that to get the effect you would have to eat more beans than humany possible though they did at one time have the concentrated stuff available on the market. It was eventually banned by the government as dangerous because of some people having alergies to kidney beans. He swears it works but I don't nessesarily think he is right.
Old 03-31-2002, 01:17 PM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

Hey, gimme a break!!! Cows aren't my area of expertise - now horses are another thing altogether. I did remember that they had more than one stomach though

Later...
Old 04-01-2002, 07:56 AM   #6  
Simply Noble

Ahhhh horses! now there's my favorite subject. I just started a business on the internet for horese people. Mabey you would like to take a look. It is www.equinenetworks.com. It is a work in progress so please be patient. We got it on line last night but it is not resolving this morning so I need to get my tech to fix it. Try looking at it later in the day though and it should be up.

I did spend four years working on a dairy farm. It was fun but dirty. I loved seeing thise babies born. It really makes you apreciate where our food comes from. But horses are my passion.
Old 04-11-2002, 11:58 AM   #7  
banned

it works b/c its a starch blocker. i use a diff 1.
Old 04-12-2002, 11:24 PM   #8  
Simply Noble

Ok but can you tell us more? A starch blocker sounds liks something I would be interested in (mabey).
Equine Networks is up and fully funtional if somewhat in need of a makeover. Just spent two days at a little thing call Equine Affair trying to advertise a bit as well as loving being surrounded by horeses and horsey things! The best thimg is that I decided to see if I could get into this pair of jeans I have been keeping for three years and not only did they fit but they were a bit loose! a month ago I could hardly button them! Yeah! I am so happy to see some progress. Did lots of walking the last two days so that sausage sandwich didn't make me feel to guilty.
Old 04-12-2002, 11:25 PM   #9  
banned

yea. a starch pill blocks 400-500 starch cals from bein digested
Closed Thread