South Beach Diet - Tuesday Chatter

View Full Version : Tuesday Chatter

cottagebythesea
05-06-2008, 06:56 AM
:coffee: Coffee with a dash of cinnamon this morning, who'd like some? :)

I woke up to the birds singing their little hearts out on this gorgeous sunny day. Well, the sun's not up yet, but it won't be too much longer. I got all my housework done yesterday, so I can play today. :) First Curves, then I must get to the gas station, then just goofing off the rest of the day. I do want to make the Homestyle Turkey Meatloaf w/ Mushrooms and White Beans before I leave for work, and we'll have that with smashed cauliflower and roasted brussel sprouts for supper.

Time for a refill! :coffee2:

femmecreole
05-06-2008, 07:15 AM
Morning Cottage!!
Hope you get a lot of time to play today. That dish you are making sounds great...it's in the files?

We finally got some sleep last night and so did our "allergy dog", Stitch. He seemed to be getting better since I started making his food, then a couple of days ago he got up covered with a "rash" again. He looks like he has measles, then he gets scabby (TMI, I know) then he chews himself raw all night even with meds. My husband heard about this stuff called Nu-Stock and got some at the feed store and we bathed him and covered him in the stuff last night (smells awful). He stopped scratching right away and has not scratched since then. I think he paid 12 bucks for this stuff as opposed to the 200 we've been spending on vet bills each month. praying that it keeps working.

Nothing special for me today...just work and then maybe playing out in the garden later.

Wishing everyone a great day.

cottagebythesea
05-06-2008, 07:21 AM
Cat, the recipe for the meatloaf is from the new Supercharged book. I'll let you all know how it is. I'm sure glad that your dear little puppy is getting some relief with that new medication. Poor thing must have been miserable! I hope it continues to work well.

tkglenn
05-06-2008, 07:23 AM
good morning

cottage-hope you have a great day. I gotta get my cleaning done today.
cat-have you tried using benedryl for the itching? You can give dogs benedryl for allergies. It's amazing the things you can give your dogs now days.

anyone who I miss-hope you have a wonderful day.

me-nothing much. It's really early for me and need to go back to bed. I am exhausted. I have alot of depression. I just need to go and get that st. john's wort. I have been so down. I think I have Leo's PTSD. They say it can be passed to the children and spouse. I think I have it. Nothing much for me today. DS2 and DS3 are sick with the cough and can't stand it. I'm tired of giving them breathing treatment after breathing treatment. Well, I'm off back to bed. Will check in later. Good night.

CyndiM
05-06-2008, 07:24 AM
Our yard is full of singing summer birds today! Our rose breasted grosbeaks showed up yesterday morning. We always look forward to their arrival because they have beautiful songs and are very entertaining on the feeders :) Now we're just waiting for the orioles and hummers.

Cottage - that recipe does sound yummy and I'm already thinking about adapting it for the vegetarian crowd :)

Cat - I didn't have time to post yesterday but did check out your pictures. You have a really good eye for photography and they are lovely. Thanks for sharing.

In spite of the cold our yard is doing its best jungle imitation. I've got a meeting all day again but will get out and mow some when I get home. Every spring we get caught between rain storms and the yard gets out of control. We are trying to stay ahead of it this year. I'm also hoping to get a few tomato plants in the ground in their wall of water. I never got to test it out last year and can't wait to see if it really works!

I'm planning my food for our Maine trip. We have a condo so can cook our own meals, but I don't like to spend a lot of time cooking. Time to dig around in the recipes for easy cook ahead foods!

Have a good day!

CyndiM
05-06-2008, 07:29 AM
tk - we were posting at the same time :) I had good luck with the st john's wort a few years back. I used it to wean myself off of prozac. Hope it helps you too. Sounds like you have lots of competing demands on your time and attention. Take some time for you too, even if it's just a few minutes here and there to breath deeply or a quick soak in the tub.

Here's to a good day :)

femmecreole
05-06-2008, 07:39 AM
tk..yep, we've tried benadryl, zyrtec and a zillion things from the vet...nothing has helped. He is apparently allergic to EVERYTHING. Hoping this stuff is the answer...it was last night!

Cyndi...glad you liked the pics.

Cottage...I have the book and will look at the recipe today.

SkinnyDogMom
05-06-2008, 07:47 AM
Cat--my brother had a lab allergic to grass, trees, pretty much most plants. They ended up taking him to Virginia Tech to the vet school. My sister-in-law gave him regularly scheduled allergy shots for the rest of his life, that cleared him up for the most part. He occasionally would still have a break out, then they would give him steroids to get him over it. The pup was always a happy dog and lived a long full life. RIP sweet Sam!

SkinnyDogMom
05-06-2008, 07:49 AM
Oh...Good Morning Everyone! Bogart puppy has me up early, along with the gazillion birds in our canopy of trees. Have a great day, I think I'm headed back to bed for a few more zzzz's as soon as the pup settles down.
Karla

Ruthxxx
05-06-2008, 08:02 AM
Good morning and I "slept in" again! I hate it when the sun gets up before I do.

Cottage, I got the new book and will start checking out recipes soon. One of these days I'll try roasted Brussels.

Cat, I sympathize with Stitch as I'm itching badly from black fly bites on the weekend. Getting stuff from the feed store sure is cheaper than the vet! That's where I get my liquid glucosamine for my darling.

Glenn, I hope you can get that St. John's Wort soon and feel better. You certainly have your hands full.

Cyndi, I have my hummer feeder out and am expecting the little guys any day soon. They always are here for Mother's Day and actually arrived May 6 last year. I'm an obsessive garden log keeper! By the way, you may have to put a stake or two in your wall of water - mine fall over in the wind.

Karla, I love Bogart for a dog's name. I knew a Basset called that. You certainly must have the Mormon Tabernacle Bird choir if they wake you up.

Loads to do today and Donna and Danny will be here too. I leave to drop Hersh off at the groomer for the night and then will go to the airport to pick up Meowee. (She's another MOD on 3FC.) We will have dinner with Ellis and her family, stay overnight and have lunch down in the Byward Market with Mauvaisroux, another MOD. We will try to be MODerate in our food consumption but no guarantees! :lol:

femmecreole
05-06-2008, 08:57 AM
Ruth...go to Walgreen's or whereever and get some Dermaplast spray...will numb the itching immediately.

Ruthxxx
05-06-2008, 09:13 AM
No Walgreens here, Cat, but I'll look for Dermaplast. In the meantime, vinegar does the trick - except I smell like a pickle jar! :rofl:

phxsunflower
05-06-2008, 09:17 AM
Good morning all,

couldn't sleep all night so got up and got some things done before the day is suppose to start. Got my walk in, and have time to jump on and say :wave:

cottage-enjoy your free morning. the meatloaf sounds good. I am going to have to try and get my hands on the book soon so I can copy some of the recipes out of it.

cat-hope the meds help the fur baby. We (me and the kids) enjoy your pictures. Whenever I get on DD2 comes up and asked if there is any new pictures. It is nice to show her something besides desert and cactus.

tk- hang in there

Cyndi,skinnydogmom,Ruth-:wave:

As for me it has been busy. Playoff week for the DS1&2. DS2 had his softball playoff last night. Faced a good team with an angry coach. Feel so bad for the other team. DS' team won and took 1st place. :carrot: DS1 has soccer playoffs tonight which looks like they may win if their heart is in it and if so they will play tomorrow night as well. The girls have tumbling class tonight and somewhere in there I need to cook dinner and set up for tomorrow:dizzy: Life is good though not complaining just busy. We have great weather here but no garden(DH nixed it)to play in. Have totally enjoyed our spring so far it is already May and we have not hit 100* yet:Dancer:

well better go now and water the flowers as my early wake up has now caught up with my am get things done time. Everyone have a great day and a safe one.

FluffyK
05-06-2008, 09:57 AM
Good morning, chickies.

Speaking of, I think my first batch of chicks is a dud. Today's day 25 and NOTHING! (They should hatch at 21) I have to go in and remove her from the nest, hope she doesn't get too freaked out about it. :(

Anyway, I got my run in today. With the party this weekend, I was too sore on Sunday because of scrubbing on Sat, and too tired on Mon because of party on Sun. Got it in today, though.

I am NOT stepping on that scale until the weekend, though. I was NOT a good girl at the party. No need in depressing myself. NO, NO

Kim_Star060404
05-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Hey everybody! Hope your morning is going well so far. We had a nice, big thunderstorm that dropped right at 1/2" of rain out here. (Well, rain and hail). Thank goodness for carports. The power also went out, so I was seriously worried about waking up in time to work out, but I did. So, workout and a yummy P1 breakfast are out of the way, let's figure out what the rest of the day holds. Work, then a quick leftover dinner and off to the movies with DH to see Iron Man.

Cottage: Thanks for starting us up! One day I'll make it up as early as you on a regular basis, but not right now...;). Your dinner sounds delish, except for the mushrooms, but not because I don't like them. I'm extremely allergic.

Cat: I hope that the new treatment you found for Stitch really continues to help. DH tends to head straight to the feed store when the doggies are sick. It's much better to spend $10 on a bottle of de-wormer than to spend $50 at the vet. Hope you have a great day!

tk: Try and have a good day. :hug:

Cyndi: Oooh, Maine sounds wonderful. That is one of the places on DH and I's travel list. One day... Enjoy the birds and the yardwork.

SkinnyDogMom: I agree with Ruth, Bogart is a great name for a pup. Enjoy your zzzz's!

Ruth: Enjoy your MOD time. Sounds absolutely wonderful!

phx: Congrats to DS2 and his team and good luck to DS1! Hope you have some time to catch your breath! Have a great day!

Well, off to shower and get ready for work. I'd like to pick up the house a bit, but that'll have to wait until after movie time. Hope everyone to follow has a great day!!

~Kim

tdiprincess
05-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Good morning ladies.. Just a quick hello and then I'm off to do some work....
I'll be in later on depending on how the day goes :) I did my first WATP video..the 3 mile...its a good workout!! I'm going to do it again today....
Later chickies :carrot:
oh.. Cottage, thanks for the coffee..the dash of cinnamon was PERFECT!! :D

ladybugnessa
05-06-2008, 10:08 AM
back at work
out of sorts
wish i was a kept woman.

Natalie'sMom
05-06-2008, 10:20 AM
hi everyone! i am so sorry i never seem to have a chance to do personals, but the one-handed typing while holding the baby makes it difficult! anyway, cinnamon in my coffee does sound great -- i am going to have to give it a try!

i have a cold with a cough so i cancelled my lunch plans and i think i'll stay close to home and get caught up around here. i need to get to target today for some cute big girl cups, as my oldest daughter decided to give up her sippy cups -- yay! i am so proud of her!

hope everyone has a great day!

GONNABE165
05-06-2008, 10:26 AM
Mornin chicks!

Today is my 1 year anniversary since starting my new healthy lifestyle, I plan on posting a tad story and some pics when I get home from work so keep your eyes opened.

Cottage I thought that meatloaf sounded delish when I saw it in the book - dh said we could try it but of course no mushrooms as he is alergic

Ruth sure sounds like you will be very busy - do enjoy your time with the other MOD chicks

Tk :hug:

Nats mom I hope you feel better soon

Kim can I send my dh to go see iron man with you guys so I don't have to go - I so don't want to see it

Hello to everyone else and I hope you all have a great day!

hmacneil6
05-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Happy Tuesday Ladies!
Cottage - Can I come over for dinner. It sounds AMAZING!!! Let us know if it's a good recipe!

Cat - Sorry to hear about your pup. Let keep our fingers crossed that the bath works. It's not fun seeing your animals in discomfort and pain.

tk - try to breathe today. Find some quiet place, if only for 3 min. and take time to really breathe for yourself. Peace I pray for you.

Cyndi - How fun that you're going to Maine! I love to travel, but only do it infrequently. Enjoy getting ready for your trip. When do you leave?

SkinnyDog - I had a dog named Bogart as well! He was a black lab-retriever. Honestly, he was the best dog ever! He used to wash his frisbee when it got too slimy when we'd play catch. I LOVED that dog! Sounds like your day is off to a great start!

Ruth - Have a great time with the other MODs. How fun will that be!

Phxsunflower - Wow you're busy! Good luck at the games tonight!

Krystal - Good job getting your run in! And STAY AWAY FROM THE SCALE!!! You can do it!

Kim - Call me crazy, but I LOVE storms. I hope it wasn't too bad for you!

Princess - Good work on the WATP. Keep it up!

Nessa - Ah.....to be kept. What a wonderful fantasy!

Nat's Mom - One handed typing would be hard. Yea! for big girl cups! Have fun at Target!

Me - Kind of bummed this morning. I usually wake up and do some WATP from the On-Demand section of our cable, but this morning it's not working. BOOOO! Fortunately, I meeting my friend to walk this morning so all is not lost, but I was really looking forward to doubling up this morning. Yesterday I did really well and did not have a single bite of the pastry that was all around the office yesterday. AND at the end of the day my name was picked for a $25 gift certificate for being a good employee! and yet our internet and email went out around 12:30 yesterday afternoon. Work yesterday was a roller coaster of highs and lows. I hope today is more even keeled. Dinner last night was SO YUMMY! If you haven't had the Capri Chicken, I suggest you really give it a go. It was great! As was Beachgal's Chocolate Peanutbutter Cake. And I'm lucky enough to have a piece for dessert all this week. Good times! I hope everyone has a great Tuesday!
ENJOY!!!!

hmacneil6
05-06-2008, 10:28 AM
Gonnabe - Missed ya the first time. What a cute pup! Have a good one!

GONNABE165
05-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Hi Heather the pup is my one and only baby and boy is he treated like the king

tkglenn
05-06-2008, 10:57 AM
well, DS2 woke up not feeling good. Gave him his bath and got him ready for school. Right after he was ready, he said that his stomach wasn't right and ran to the bathroom and threw up. Nothing in his stomach but it did smell just absolutely disgusting. I changed him into stay home clothes and put him back in bed and turned cartoons on for him. He layed there and about 10 minutes before leaving to take DS1 to school DS2 jumped up saying that he wanted to get ready for school. Who does this child belong to anyways? lol. And I normally go on yahoo messenger and they changed it on me and I don't know how to work it now. Uuuuuhhhh. I hate that. I get used to somehting then they go and change it. Stupid Yahoo people. BTW, where's Kara?

GONNABE165
05-06-2008, 11:09 AM
TK I hope your son gets to feeling better real soon

little chick
05-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Good morning chicks, I don't have to swim out of my back yard today, the water is finally going down, although my basement still needs to be pumped out every few hours..... Oh well we could have been worse off like many others. Hope you all are doing well and I will hopefully be back posting normally in the next few days.

Here is a pic of my back yard.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m138/littlechick1967/check326-1.jpg

tkglenn
05-06-2008, 11:25 AM
gonna-oh yeah, he's better. he went to school. i think he threw up because he was coughing alot. he has asthma and lately he's been getting alot of asthma attacks at night. plus, he was tired and that just added to the not feeling good.

GONNABE165
05-06-2008, 11:29 AM
Wow! Lc thats crazy looking - a lake in your yard when you didn't want one

TK I know how he feels on the asthma part I had it when I was little and grew out of it and was diagnosed with it again last year. Glad he was well enough to go to school

Kim_Star060404
05-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Gonna: Sure he can join us! Actually, this looks like one of the few movies both DH and I will enjoy, so we're looking forward to it. Congrats on your one year anniversary!!!

hmac: I'm usually such a scaredy-cat about storms, but since moving to the desert, they're so few and far between that we rejoice in each and every one. Last night's was particularly spectacular with the lightening behind the mountains and the thunder and hail. Hope today is more static for you!

LC: Glad that the flood is receding. Hope it all comes together quickly and smoothly. Are you feeling better today?

FluffyK
05-06-2008, 11:51 AM
TK - our school system doesn't let a kid into school if they've thrown up in the last 24 hours. Just in case he IS sick, they don't want him sharing all the germs.

tkglenn
05-06-2008, 12:03 PM
here it's fever. if they have had a fever within the past 24 hours then they cannot go to school

SkinnyDogMom
05-06-2008, 01:25 PM
I'm going to try to post a pic of Bogart...I haven't tried this before, so here goes: OK, it worked. Bogart is a weimaraner, 10 months old. The black and white dog is Dino, our almost 10 year old retired racing greyhound.

hmacneil6
05-06-2008, 01:48 PM
SkinnyDog - You DO have two skinny dogs. I love retired grey's they are so gentle and grateful. How are the two getting along? TOO CUTE!

SkinnyDogMom
05-06-2008, 02:42 PM
The older dog tolerates the young pup. The older grey is a very passive dog. He even lets the puppy lay down on his bed with him. The puppy is all puppy, but settles down much better than I thought he would. He isn't an alpha dog either, he is stubborn, but not aggressive in the least---except to squirrels and birds, he has brought us a few prizes from the yard. He stalks them. We don't encourage it, but understand it is his nature. Our new house has zero mature trees, so I think his hunting days will be over the end of this month.

zeffryn
05-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Cute dogs! I <3 Weimers.

Question at hand. Watermelon. Yes? No? I <3 <3 <3 watermelon and it's a perfect day for it.....and we just happen to have one.

jandaman
05-06-2008, 03:39 PM
hi ladies!
good to see you all again!
i have been off board for a while struggling w/health issues but things are looking up and i need to refocus-which means off to p1 for me! sun is just setting and i am enjoying the end of my work day. *ah!*
cu tomorrow!

GONNABE165
05-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Janda glad to hear you are doing better

Zeff not to sure about watermelon - have you checked the acceptable list as I know Ruth put the updated on last week

zeffryn
05-06-2008, 03:56 PM
yeah....it doesn't say anything...or maybe I missed it? I don't see anything about it in the P2 list either.

Should I assume it's like corn and verboten forever and ever?

jandaman
05-06-2008, 04:00 PM
hi zeffryn, just checked the new book and it says foods to enjoy rarely or avoid :( on phase 2 : watermelon

jandaman
05-06-2008, 04:00 PM
honeydew melon is ok, tho

zeffryn
05-06-2008, 04:08 PM
grr. I loathe honeydew.

I just checked the glycemic index of watermelon. It's HIGH! :( Good thing DS loves it.

SkinnyDogMom
05-06-2008, 11:11 PM
But...watermelon has a low glycemic load, only a 4.
I still say, there is not a fruit out there that is responsible for my being fat.
Fruit is healthy. Don't be afraid of enjoying watermelon.
Just like carrots were originally forbidden veggies on SBD, the glycemic load of carrots is low, therefore they have now become acceptable. I think maybe someday the fruit restrictions will be lifted.

zeffryn
05-06-2008, 11:31 PM
Aren't carrots only acceptable on P2?

I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, but my book here and many websites on the net say that watermelon has a REALLY high glycemic index. I found an exact number of 72.
http://www.carbs-information.com/glycemic-index-fruit/watermelon-gi.htm

Carrots are pretty low though, although the sweetness of them causes me to crave. I tend to avoid them, along with other sweet vegetables - sweet potatoes, particularly. Raw carrots only have a glycemic index of 47.

SkinnyDogMom
05-06-2008, 11:40 PM
I am referring to glycemic load, not index. When you research glycemic values you should look at both glycemic index AND glycemic load. I would recommend anyone who looks beyond the SBD book to the science behind SBD food choices to research both glycemic index and glycemic load. They go hand in hand. And, yes carrots are phase 2, as are fruits...therefore anyone eating fruits would be phase 2.
Originally carrots were not allowed...I don't think they were allowed in phase 2 either.

SkinnyDogMom
05-06-2008, 11:48 PM
Glycemic index is not a perfect indicator due to the fact that, although it tells a valuable story, it doesn’t take the whole nutritional picture into account. Primarily GI is based on the effect of a fixed portion of carbohydrate on blood sugar but fails to take into account the real life question of “how much can I eat?” Glycemic load is more complicated to understand but it looks at the effects on blood sugar taking volume into account.

A good example is a 100g piece of watermelon, it has a high glycemic index (GI: 72) because it is broken down very quickly however as it is not very dense and contains a lot of water, the glycemic load is relatively low (GL : 3.6). I prefer GL as a nutritional indicator over the GI although part of the equation for GL includes that of the GI.
disclaimer: these are not my own words, they are from one of many quotes attempting to explain GI & GL
Google glycemic load for more info. Try to read more than one source and try to read some sources that are credible, not just a blog or someone's individual web page.

zeffryn
05-06-2008, 11:53 PM
I just researched the glycemic load information. Interesting. Basically it defines that small portion of a food with a high glycemic level will affect the blood sugar in the same way that a normal to large portion of a food with a low glycemic level.

Watermelon, besides being high in lycopene, is relatively low in nutritional value otherwise. As much as I like it, I can definitely go without it all the time because it does cause me to spike and crash. Maintaining an even blood sugar level has done wonders for my mental stability ... and my marriage ;)

With that information, you must also remember that it says a small amount of a high GI food is the same as a normal/large amount of a low GI food. Just because watermelon has a low GL, doesn't mean that we can eat as much as we want just because it isn't as high as say, white bread. It might not be high calorie wise, but it is high on the glycemic level, and the more that you eat, the more it will affect the blood sugar.

tdiprincess
05-06-2008, 11:56 PM
Hey ladies... are raisins allowed on P2?

zeffryn
05-07-2008, 12:01 AM
I don't think so, TDI. I believe they are high in sugar.

How is P2 coming, dear?

tdiprincess
05-07-2008, 12:12 AM
Good. I'm taking very slowly. I had an apple with breakfast yesterday and a SBD cereal bar as one of my meals on the go today along with lots of veggies and roasted garbanzo beans... I finally made them, I found some in bulk finally!!
My thing, I'm making cookies tomorrow for a little "party" I'm making oatmeal raisin cookies. I'm using WW flour, oat meal, oat bran and quinoa... The margarine, Splenda brown sugar.. It'll be mostly SBd except the raisins. I couldn't find any dried fruit without being sweetened. Raisins were not sweetened.

SkinnyDogMom
05-07-2008, 12:21 AM
OK...here's the best explanation I have recently read in reference to GI/GL:

The GI was originally developed by researchers for research purposes, and it was calculated from servings of food that contained 50 grams of carbohydrate. In the case of carrots, you'd have to eat about 1 1/2 pounds to get that much carbohydrate! Would you eat that many carrots at one time? Probably not. The GI doesn't take into account realistic serving sizes. However, the glycemic load does.

Glycemic load (GL) is the amount of carbohydrate in a food multiplied by that food's GI. The GL is also a ranking of how foods affect blood glucose levels, but unlike GI, the GL takes serving size into account. Like GI, the lower the GL, the lower the spike in blood glucose levels. Low-GL foods have a value of 10 or less; moderate-GL foods have a value of 11-19; and high-GL foods have a value of 20 or more.

Back to the carrots, then. Carrots have a GI of 71. If we multiply the 8 grams of carb in a half cup by .71, we get a GL value of roughly 6. Therefore, carrots are a low-GL food. This means that, unless you truly are going to eat a pound and a half at a time, carrots don't have a big impact on blood glucose levels.

Hope this info is helpful.
Karla

murphmitch
05-07-2008, 12:23 AM
My thing, I'm making cookies tomorrow for a little "party" I'm making oatmeal raisin cookies. I'm using WW flour, oat meal, oat bran and quinoa... The margarine, Splenda brown sugar.. It'll be mostly SBd except the raisins. I couldn't find any dried fruit without being sweetened. Raisins were not sweetened.

The Splenda Brown Sugar Blend is half Splenda and half brown sugar. Just in case you didn't know.