South Beach Diet - What's for dinner? 5/5 - 5/11

View Full Version : What's for dinner? 5/5 - 5/11

cottagebythesea
05-05-2008, 07:45 AM
Tonight we're having leftover lasagna, regular one for Jake and a veggie one for me made with portobello mushrooms as the noodle layer. :T We'll have a big salad with it, and probably sf jello with ff Cool Whip for dessert.

Natalie'sMom
05-05-2008, 08:01 AM
sounds great cottage!

we are having turkey burgers with edamame salad.

hmacneil6
05-05-2008, 10:27 AM
Capri Chicken, broccolini, and a green salad. I made beachgal's chocolate cake w/ peanut butter frosting for dessert this week. SO EXCITED!

btw, Cottage, I think it's a good idea to make this weekly thread. Thanks!

GONNABE165
05-05-2008, 11:42 AM
dinner for us will be baked or grilled fish and a stir fry of mix veggies

iammare
05-05-2008, 12:03 PM
DH wants shrimp Alfredo... so I'm trying to figure out a way to make it SB friendly.

I'm going to use ww pasta, and I'm thinking of using LCLC garlic & herb and skim milk, with a little parm. Toss in some broccoli or asparagus, and dinner is served.

I don't know about using the LCLC though, I've never tried to melt it - does anyone know if it would work? Or any other suggestions?

hmacneil6
05-05-2008, 12:07 PM
Mare - There's actually a good recipe in the Misc. Phase 1 section. And it does exactly what you're talking about. You melt the LCLC w/ milk and such. Check it out!

cottagebythesea
05-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Here's the link for the Alfredo Sauce recipe -

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72788

We love it and make it often. I normally add mushrooms to it and sometimes I add sundried tomatoes, too. We like it with either chicken or shrimp, and serve it over spagetti squash. :drool:

Marathon Mom
05-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Mare - my favorite low fat alfredo sauce

chicken broth
minced garlic
minced onion
Simmer the above ingredients for about 5-10 min)
Add the following - adjust the parmesan cheese until you get your preferred consistency
parsley
ff plain yogurt or ff sour cream
parmesan cheese...

Tastes as good as the real thing to me

Enjoy!

Dinner tonight - We have a baseball game so it has to be fast - Turkey burgers on the grill and fruit for DH, DS, DD - Veggie burger over spinach and peppers w/ feta for me.

iammare
05-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Thanks! I never thought about serving it over spaghetti squash. I've got so much of the stuff in my freezer... just defrost it, and let it drain... YUMMY.

All the recipes for Alfredo look really great! I'm going to have to try them all. I've got everything I need for the LCLC one, so that's what I'm going to do tonight - I really don't want to go to the store for 1 or 2 things...

zeffryn
05-05-2008, 02:51 PM
Dinner tonight will be falafel on ww pita bread, broccoli, cucumber salad and sweet potato fries for dh and ds.

KO
05-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Marinated steak with Balsamic and garlic and warmed spinach salad for me and pasta salad for DH

murphmitch
05-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Leftover grilled marinated chicken breasts from yesterday, tossed salad, some zucchini and tomatoes.

Kim_Star060404
05-05-2008, 03:32 PM
We're having Enchilada Chicken with sauteed bell peppers and salad. DH will have a WW Tortilla with his.

ladybugnessa
05-05-2008, 06:43 PM
meatloaf (use oatmeal ground fine as the binder)
salad
roasted cauliflower
sweet potato or quiona

tdiprincess
05-05-2008, 07:20 PM
I think I may be doing one of the P1 SBD frozen meals. DH is working.. And I'm going to be getting some stuff done, once I finish my snack...LOL... Cottage cheese with cin. and Splenda and veggies!!! With the meal I'll have some more veggies. Nothing great.. But its ok... :)

ladybugnessa
05-05-2008, 07:46 PM
have you have mixed apple butter with cottage cheese? yummy!

xGurlyGrlx
05-05-2008, 08:13 PM
I like this thread. I tend to forget about recipes and eat the same stuff. So tonight, in honor of Cinco de Mayo, I am making an enchilada type thing. Chicken with onions and bell peppers, ww tortillas, enchilada sauce, lf cheese, and black olives all baked together. SB chilaquiles. :)

SkinnyDogMom
05-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Last night was steak w/mushrooms & onions, sweet potatoes & salad.
We each ate 1/2 a steak.
Tonight with the leftover steak, more mushrooms & onions, DH made a "fajita" type omelet, half an avacado, salsa verde & sweet potato "fries" (baked).
I had an apple w/nat'l PB for dessert.

mandyleigh
05-05-2008, 11:42 PM
SO I did a bit of cooking tonight hopefully sparing myself from having to cook lots later in the week!!

First was a simplified version of crawfish eggplant napoleon. Crawfish sauce consisted of FF half/half, green onions, port. mushrooms, crab boil, and some parm cheese for thickening. Cooked that forever and a day then poured it over some baked eggplant slices.

Next was a lasagna/port. mushroom casserole type of thing.

Haven't tasted the lasagna casserole...but I did have some of the crawfish eggplant tonight and it was EXCELLENT if I do say so myself!! haha....

Both of the above will be served with two veggies of choice!!

murphmitch
05-06-2008, 12:41 AM
We cooked on the grill Sunday night and we love to slice potatoes and cook them on the grill in foil with butter, salt and pepper with minced onions. Well I tried it with a sweet potato, a little olive oil, and a few sprays of fake butter spray. It was fantastic! I think it was tastier than with white potatoes.

murphmitch
05-06-2008, 12:45 AM
First was a simplified version of crawfish eggplant napoleon. Crawfish sauce consisted of FF half/half, green onions, port. mushrooms, crab boil, and some parm cheese for thickening. Cooked that forever and a day then poured it over some baked eggplant slices.

I checked the ingredients in the FF Half & Half and the second ingredient is sugar. Is this just my brand or do they all have that?

st2826
05-06-2008, 04:19 AM
Tonight on day 2 of phase 1 we are having:

Taco roast peppers
Lettuce, cucumber, onion, tomato and herb salad with olive oil & lemon dressing.
Guacamole dip

cottagebythesea
05-06-2008, 07:11 AM
We cooked on the grill Sunday night and we love to slice potatoes and cook them on the grill in foil with butter, salt and pepper with minced onions. Well I tried it with a sweet potato, a little olive oil, and a few sprays of fake butter spray. It was fantastic! I think it was tastier than with white potatoes.

We make this same thing, and call it "camper potatoes". They're divine made with sweet potatoes, and I like mine cooked until they get a little crispy. Yummo!

Tonight we're trying the Homestyle Turkey Meatloaf w/ Mushrooms and White Beans from the new book, with smashed cauliflower, and roasted brussel sprouts.

CyndiM
05-06-2008, 07:41 AM
It's a grill night - eggplant, peppers, mushrooms & gimme lean burgers. The trick is to make enough for leftovers :)

I want to move to LA just because the food always sounds -so- good :drool:

Re: the alfredo sauce. I used to make it with fat free evaporated milk. I don't think you can really tell the difference in a good alfredo sauce. I used to make one with mushrooms and lots of basil. Yumm

GONNABE165
05-06-2008, 10:16 AM
tonight we are throwing together a pizza as we have bowling

jillybean720
05-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Tonight looks like turkey burgers with reduced fat cheese, Galeos dijonnaise, and avocado on whole wheat potato rolls served with sweet potato fries.

hmacneil6
05-06-2008, 10:32 AM
Got to say that my dinner last night was AMAZING! If you haven't made the capri chicken, I HIGHLY suggest it. (I did change it slightly and added fresh basil, a garlic clove, & parsley to the ricotta......so good!)

Tonight we're doing marinate London Broil, stuffed mushrooms w/ goat cheese, pine nuts, and sun dried tomatoes, and a green salad.

femmecreole
05-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Today it will be something grilled (haven't been to the grocery store yet, so whatever looks fresh!) I ordered a grill basket to grill vegs etc outside so they don't fall through the grill. It came in last night, so I have to play with it...Maybe some shrimp or chicken with eggplant, squash etc.

Mandy..gotta try that crawfish recipe...yum!! I'll be that sauce would be great over grilled tilapia or catfish too!!

Kim_Star060404
05-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Leftover enchilada chicken, sauteed peppers and salad from last night because we're going to the movies and don't have much time to eat!!

zeffryn
05-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Got to say that my dinner last night was AMAZING! If you haven't made the capri chicken, I HIGHLY suggest it. (I did change it slightly and added fresh basil, a garlic clove, & parsley to the ricotta......so good!)

Tonight we're doing marinate London Broil, stuffed mushrooms w/ goat cheese, pine nuts, and sun dried tomatoes, and a green salad.

It is very good. Probably one of my favorite italian inspired meals on SB so far, next to the eggplant lasagna.

Tonight, it's Summer Chicken Chili....although I have no idea where I found the recipe! I included it in our weekly menu. Now I have to go searching for it. :( I'm going to make some cornbread for DH and DS.

femmecreole
05-06-2008, 08:22 PM
I gave the new outdoor grill pan (http://www.kitchenfantasy.com/images/080697710819.jpg) a whirl and man oh man...it worked very well. I cut up some eggplant and some squash and onions and peppers and mixed them up with some olive oil and creole seasoning and put them out on the grill in the pan...when that was done, I did the same thing (OO and creole seasoning) with some shrimp and then threw them on a for a few minutes...heaven.

cottagebythesea
05-07-2008, 07:42 AM
hmacneil, that Capri Chicken is a favorite of ours, too. I haven't made it in a while, I'll have to put it on the menu real soon.

Cat, I have a grill pan that looks similar to yours. I just love my veggies grilled, it really brings out their flavor. I'm a big fan of roasting veggies in the oven, too.

Tonight we're just having leftovers. The recipe for the meatloaf makes a big one, but it's fabulous. You all have got to try it!

GONNABE165
05-07-2008, 10:07 AM
Zeffryn the eggplant lasagna is great

tonight we will have bison burgers on the grill with veggies on the side

jillybean720
05-07-2008, 10:14 AM
I think tonight will just be sandwiches (whole grain bread, lower sodium ham, lower sodium turkey, Swiss cheese, and miso dijonnaise) and sweet potato fries. I've been very tired lately, so I don't want to mess much with dinner in the hopes that I'll have time for a nap this evening :^:

Natalie'sMom
05-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Oooh...are sweet potatos OK for phase one? I'd love to make those fries!

I think tonight will be mexican chicken stew. I need to get back to making things that offer leftovers for lunches, etc. And I think it is going to be a rainy day so stew might be nice. In fact, I can start it in the crock pot now!

Schmoodle
05-07-2008, 10:32 AM
I should actually have time to cook tonight so I'm going to try the Capri Chicken. Can you believe I've never made that yet?

Natalie'sMom
05-07-2008, 10:34 AM
Oh, and is the turkey meatloaf recipe around somewhere? I've got ground turkey waiting for me in the fridge! :)

cottagebythesea
05-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Nat's mom you'll have to wait until Phase 2 to enjoy sweet potatoes. Sorry! :( And the meatloaf recipe is in the new SBD - Supercharged book.

jillybean720
05-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Oooh...are sweet potatos OK for phase one? I'd love to make those fries!
Nope, Phase 2. Good thing Phase 1 only lasts 2 weeks, right? :^:

KO
05-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Tonight its upside down Chili bake. I've got leftover chili thawing in the fridge I'm going to top it with FF RF beans and cheese and nuke it. . .or bake it based on energy
Nats Mom depending on the flavor of the meatloaf puree a can of beans and put it in its a good non bread binder! also its a great place to hide veggies

zeffryn
05-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Taco bake and I'm not sure what else.

femmecreole
05-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Going to do a frittata using the leftover grilled vegs from yesterday and add some rotisserie chicken (or shrimp) and spinich and more green peppers and onions and mushrooms. That will give us dinner tonight (along with a salad) and will be breakfast for the rest of the week. Love those frittatas for cleaning out the fridge!!

jillybean720
05-07-2008, 11:11 AM
...puree a can of beans and put it in its a good non bread binder!
Wow, I've never heard/thought of that. What a great idea! I don't make meatloaf, but I bet this would also work to stop my homemade turkey burgers from falling apart.

KO
05-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Really good in meatballs too! Puree Cannelini beans with some garlic and throw in some sauteed frozen spinach, mushrooms and onions. flax works well too!

for a mexican flavor FF RF Beans

SkinnyDogMom
05-07-2008, 11:26 AM
tuna salad on ezekial sesame toast, topped w/provolone cheese & popped under the broiler=tuna melts
I mound the tuna salad up, about twice what I would normally put on a tuna melt, then we just eat 1 slice of the bread and eat it with a fork.
Veggy to go with, maybe salads, maybe spinach or edemame.

hmacneil6
05-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Schmooldle - Let us know what you think of it. There are a lot off steps, but the pay off is well worth it. And I highly recommend increasing the garlic and adding more spices to the ricotta.

Tonight I'm stuck at school/work for Open house so I'll have to go out for dinner. So that means that I will most likely have a chicken salad of some sort.

Natalie'sMom
05-07-2008, 06:12 PM
Thanks -- only 4 days to sweet potatos! ha, ha!

SkinnyDogMom
05-07-2008, 08:23 PM
We ate out at our locally owned favorite Greek/Turkish/Italian/Med. restaurant. I had been sick most of the day with a migraine and only had a snack due to nausea. So, tonight I was a bit off plan with 2 of my dinner items. A bit of comfort food for me.
Chicken souvlaki-marinated chicken breast, grilled, w/lettuce, tomato, feta cheese & pita bread (off plan) w/tzatziki and zucchini---but it was breaded/fried (off plan).
Lavazza coffee--the best!

murphmitch
05-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Taco Bake tonight then leftover taco bake tomorrow!

Schmoodle
05-07-2008, 09:16 PM
It was good. DH really loved it and 1 out of 2 kids. It doesn't usually get much better than that. We had it with steamed broccoli, salad, and I made a strawberry-rhubarb crumble that was soooo good.

Make that 2/3 kids. DD1 just got around to eating some of the leftovers and she really liked it too.

cottagebythesea
05-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Schmoodle, I live for rhubarb season every year! :drool: It's one of my favorite foods. :) Would you mind sharing your recipe with us?

CyndiM
05-07-2008, 10:55 PM
Dinner on the run tonight - a salad with romaine, broccoli slaw (I love that stuff in salads), etc topped with a serving of Tuscan fava bean salad with a little extra italian vinegar. Lesson here - salad is not a good choice when in a hurry but it was yummy :)

Schmoodle
05-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Tonight is mahi-mahi, some brown rice, salad, and a veg.

Cottage, that is actually the first time I cooked rhubarb ever. I liked it, so if you have some good recipes too, I'd love to see them. Next time I was thinking of trying a rhubarb sauce to go over yogurt, etc.
Anyway, it was just my standard crumble recipe - I cut up strawberries and rhubarb to fill my baking dish, then mixed in some sf syrup and agave nectar. I mixed SB spread, oatmeal, agave nectar, a little ww pastry flour, and cinnamon and sprinkled on top, then baked until the top was crunchy. DH ate it over ice cream, but I just had a little FF cool whip on top. So yummy. I'm always happy when I get dessert.

cottagebythesea
05-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Thanks, Schmoodle! I'll have to check through my rhubarb recipes for some of my favorites for you. Rhubarb sauce over yogurt is fantastic, and it's also good over cottage cheese. I love my desserts, too. A day is just not complete without dessert! :)

Ruthxxx
05-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Meowee and I will have leg of lamb, asparagus, brown rice and strawberries with ricotta for dessert.

GONNABE165
05-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Tonight dh will make a big salad with chicken

hmacneil6
05-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Dinner tonight is poached sea bass, a green salad, rice for dh & sauteed spinach for me.

SkinnyDogMom
05-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Chimichurri Salmon
baked sweet potato "fries"
spinach w/garlic, evoo & lemon juice

jillybean720
05-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Cyndi--I love brocolli slaw on salads, too. A great way to add crunch without many calories, plus, for me, a great way to add in more veggies without much flavor :D

Tonight is thin sliced chicken breast baked with Galeos miso dijonnaise (LOVE this stuff!) and Swiss cheese, served with steamed broccoli.

zeffryn
05-08-2008, 03:09 PM
I've been trying to make taco bake for awhile now :) Last night we ended up going over to a friend's house for dinner...

so it's taco bake and "mexican" brown rice for dinner tonight. roasted asparagus and cauliflower for the veg.
DH will make the taco bake and rice into a burrito.