South Beach Diet - Question re: Morningstar Farms Veggie Cakes

mary83
05-04-2008, 04:16 PM
Here is the link to the website, where you can see the ingredients: http://www.seeveggiesdifferently.com/products.aspx?coid=23&family=2253

I am wondering if any of you ladies have tried these, or if they are suitable for P2?? They look really delicious...

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Mary

Ruthxxx
05-04-2008, 05:38 PM
Mary, corn and rice are not on the list of approved foods for Phase II.

mary83
05-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Thanks for looking, Ruth...I didn't think there was any corn in the first flavor. And I thought certain kinds of rice are allowed in phase 2? Do we just assume if it says "rice" that it is a non-allowed kind?

cottagebythesea
05-04-2008, 07:57 PM
If it just says "rice" in the ingredients, it's always the plain old white rice. I was excited when I saw these, too, until I read the ingredients. :( White sticky rice is definitely not allowed, and these also contain brown sugar, white sugar, molasses, and modified corn starch. All no-nos.

happiness seeker
05-04-2008, 09:36 PM
If they are a burger substitute Boca makes a great SB friendly "burger." I think they are even better cooked with mushroom, onions, and balsamic. YUM YUM.

mary83
05-05-2008, 12:01 AM
Thanks for all of the advice, ladies. I really just know the bare bones basics of SBD, and as soon as I get done with my law school exams, I am going to re-read the book and try to become more familiar with the technicalities!! Until then, I will stick to things I know are legal, as I have been doing. So grateful for the advice!!

ladybugnessa
05-05-2008, 05:58 AM
i use the dr pragers tex mex burgers... they do have corn but i'm flexible on corn....

beachgal
05-05-2008, 09:37 AM
Great question, Mary! These look delicious--I wish I could convince Morningstar to make more things with WW flour and brown rice... :( Sadly, the white rice in this is a big issue, being the first ingredient and all, and at least four kinds of sugar is a big problem, too. :( However, I don't see why you couldn't use the ingredient list to help you make up a recipe of this that's SBD safe. :D When you're done with exams and all, of course!

I'm with you, Nessa--we decided after reading the GFGCG that corn can be allowed at one serving per month. I try to stick to that and it hasn't caused me any problems.