LA Weight Loss - Help! The wagon is tipping and I am falling off…

chan
05-03-2008, 12:57 PM
I have been doing so good but that TOM is here and I am falling of the wagon … I write this as I eat Nachos… HELP!!!!!
The starchs and the salt .... they are why I am on LAWL in the first place and I can't keep myself away today!:o

Sgirl
05-03-2008, 01:07 PM
Stupid TOM! Makes us do crazy things. It'll all be ok! A little snack once in a while won't kill you. But if you feel you are out of control binging, I find brushing my teeth makes me stop.

cecil
05-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Chan! You have been doing soo good! Just offset it with a lot of water! You can do this be strong! TOM is hard for everyone. The Cravings are doubled. Did you make a healthier version on nachos, try to still stay on plan as much as possible!

Or eat a piece of gum!

chan
05-03-2008, 03:11 PM
I just went for a long walk to occupy myself ...
I find that since I started the Free to Live plan I have been horrible with eating things that I am not suppose to! When I was on LA Express I was POP mostly all the time!

mugwhumps
05-03-2008, 11:39 PM
i'm having the loathed TOM and I'm on hold since I just had surgery and they said on the phone when I called "you should eat whatever you want to heal" ..... so ok I bought a box of ice cream sandwiches and haven't been eating many veggies... how do I get myself back on plan (and satisfy cravings).... before I go back to weigh in (and hope I didn't gain 10 pounds :S )

chan
05-04-2008, 10:24 AM
This weekend has not been good at all (at least not when it comes to LAWL)!
Just to give you an idea of my distruction .... I am talking Nachos, Beer, Fries & Gravy..... I see a take off in my future :( ... Oh well, I did it to myself!

betty big bum
05-04-2008, 11:31 PM
Crazy TOM - it got me in trouble for a couple of weeks this month too. Cravings and emotional eating. I hovered around the same weight for just over 2 weeks because of it. Hoping that this next week I can beat the cravings.

Well, just remember no one is perfect and that tomorrow is a brand new day to start new.
We all believe that you can do this!!

Dan2112
05-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Oh man.. Chips and gravy.. Deadly combination, but OH SO GOOD!!!

Chan.. You have to think about what put you there in the first place. It's easy to blame it on TOM and I guess that truely is part of it... Liz has some cravings around that time of the month, but for the most part, she's able to resist...

You also have to think about how you got into the position where that food was available? Did you make it yourself or were you out with friends and just gave in? Obviously, if you made it yourself, you need to not buy stuff at the store that will allow you to do that..

If you were out and about pubbing, you need to prep yourself for the next time.. Eat before you go.. And eat good things.. If you think you're going to cave in, make sure you save up your starches and fats so that the damage is not so severe.. Countering the bad food with water only goes so far.. If you end up doing some damage, then follow that up the next day with light foods and lean proteins, and be especially sure to lay off the heavy starches..

After that? Let it go.. If you dwell on the fact that you gave in, you'll lose sight of the goal and just start sinking... Seriously... All those negative vibes you're giving yourself lead straight back to the nachos and fries.. And then, as a result, you'll end up feeling even worse and not even the momentary pleasures of junk food will help..

I've been preaching the positive motivation of saying "no" ever since I've been on this plan...

Despite what the chemicals in your body are telling you during this TOM, you can win out by realizing how good it feels to say no.. Sure you want to go out and drink with your friends and join them in their snacks and beer.. And at the time, when you say "no" you may feel a bit left out.. But afterward, when you realize you overcame the urges, some serious positive vibes will hit you and you'll realize that you had a major victory...

Just remember that not all our victories are on the scales... This battle is largely mental.. YOU CAN DO IT!

Now go put on some "Great Big Sea" and relax... Today is a new day!!

MomOfThreeTeens
05-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Mug when I was on hold for surgery last May I ate what I wanted and I was fine when I went back. Your body needs extra calories to heal. Thats not saying that you can binge like a linebacker but if you want a little of something eat it.You'll be fine! Hope your recovery is a smooth one!

pjbeau
05-05-2008, 01:09 PM
I agree the TOM brings on cravings, but I also think that we allow it. During TOM our eatting is fueled by emotions, which we are supposed to be learning to only eat for nutrition. Sometimes it's easy for us to fall back into emotional eatting and blame it on TOM. I hope this doesn't sound like I'm preaching...cause I do it too...just trying to change the way I think about some issues.

chan
05-05-2008, 04:25 PM
Thanks So Much Everyone!
I am happy to say that that wagon is no longer tipping and I did learn from my Saturday eats (and drinks). I was sooooo thirsty and bloated yesterday - I must of drank 5 litres of water. I caved on the Nacho's when my partner was out for the day and they were left out .... then from there I decided that the day was a write off and ate everything I saw... NOT GOOD AT ALL!!!! Easy enought to blame it on TOM but really I made the decision :(
I am so glad that I have 3FC... my COD's answer is ALWAYS "it's ok, it happens"... they show no concern at all!

Dan2112
05-05-2008, 06:07 PM
Well, at the same time, they DO realize that it happens and don't want you to feel too down about it..

What they need to be doing is saying that "Yes, it does happen and it's ok.... BUT, you need to pick yourself up and get back on track. - If you dwell on it, you're going to do worse!"...

chan
05-05-2008, 07:18 PM
You are right for sure Dan!

betty big bum
05-05-2008, 10:44 PM
If I didn't know what t.o.m. actually meant I'd think this Tom fellow was a big jerk for making all these women go off plan.

Dionysiusa
05-07-2008, 01:57 PM
LMAO

I was confused for a split second but caught on , thank god!
WE say the alien is visiting, because of the pain and it always feels liek something is trying to tear itself out of my Ovaries. Oh the names we give it!

I often try to take long walks, give myself a pedicure( to take my mind off of things) warm (not hot) baths, and buy my favorite fruit (raspberry, bleuberries, blackberries) and a dallop of 95% fat free whip cream.

For Crunch i often bake Pita chips with some garlic powder and Rosemary.
YUM!

Hope these ideas help!

Hugs
Dee

Dan2112
05-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Well, for obvious reasons, TOM affects me differently.. :lol:

In fact, I have a different name for it... TOM(A) - Time Of the Month (Already??) :lol:

And you can always tell when it is, becuase I let me beard grow out..

Ok.. Let's talk football for awhile, ok?

chan
05-08-2008, 10:54 AM
HA HA HA
Too Funny Dan!!!

chan
05-10-2008, 08:25 AM
Soooo.... here we go again ... another weekend is here and I am off plan already. There is nobody to blame but myself and I know that but I still would like a little motivation/kick in the butt from you all .. please :)
I have been doing sooo good but I am also soooo bored with the same food & miss a lot of other food sooo much!

Dan2112
05-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Chan..

We've all been there.. But all the support in the world from us isn't going to work unless you kick yourself in the butt and get out there and take the bull by the horns...

There are a million recipies out there that you can exchange for this plan.. The problem is that it takes time to do it right..

What are the biggest foods you miss? I know we all miss the amount of starches we used to eat, but besides that....

If you can, go get the LAWL cookbook.. If your centers have closed, you can find it online on ebay, I'm sure... It's recipies are REALLY good...

Almost any of your favorite dishes can be exchanged if you get creative...

Give me an idea of what you'd really like, and we'll figure it out, ok?

chan
05-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Thank You Dan.
I really do have to kick myself into gear… I know I can do this!!
I really miss sauces (sweet & sour, gravy, etc.) and starches – even the starch that we are allowed is in such small portions that it’s hardly worth it! 1/3 of a cup of cooked rice or past is really not much food….and ½ a potato- it’s really hard not to eat that other half!

Dan2112
05-12-2008, 01:01 PM
I totally understand.. I've basically stopped eating pasta.. Sometimes I'll make a caserole with pasta, but that's about it..

With rice too, making it in a caserole or eating it with Sushi (not sure how much sushi you get in Halifax, but you never know) give you the starch you need, but spreads it out..

Also, (though not always approved by the COD), I'd double up on my rice intake, and count is as my two starches for the day.. But doing it that way, you have to make sure you DON'T cheat later and have more... When it comes to half a potato.. Just make sure there's someone else there to eat the other half! Or.. If you just gotta eat it all, eat a much smaller potato...

As for sauces, I'm with you.. I really missed them.. So I learned how to make them more healthy, or learned to make new kinds.. Get a fat separator so you can get rid of a lot of the fat that way... I also use white wine reductions (not so fond of the red).. That way you cut down on the salt used... Keep low or no sodium broths on hand.. STAY AWAY FROM THE POWDERED MIXES!!!!

For cream sauces, use evaporated skim milk... Seriously.. I make a killer LAWL approved clam chowder with the stuff.. It's so good, I'll never make it the old way again...

You've just got to put some effort into it, and you'll find it's easier than you thought... It's going to take some experimentation, but stick to it.. Google recipies.. There are a lot of healthy alternatives to the salt and fat heavy sauces out there...

Here's just a few...

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=60655

Kimphin
05-12-2008, 01:11 PM
Yeah, I pretty much avoid the 1/2 potato and the pasta's too. It is just easier for me to not have them than bemoan the portion size. Occasionally I will have the potato, I find that I enjoy it more if I have it very rarely.

I still do rice - I don't mind the much smaller portions, I will make my veggies, cut up my protein and mix it all together - it isn't really a casserole because it is not cooked together, but it fills the plate nicely.

Dan2112
05-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Here's a good sounding recipe I nicked off of Yahoo today.. With some substitutions, this is a perfect sounding LAWL dish... (my subs in blue)

A delicious departure from quiche, this savory bread pudding is easier to prepare and very satisfying.
Courtesy of Vegetarian Meals, Published by Hearst Books / Sterling Publishing 2007.
SERVINGS
COOK TIME
TOTAL TIME
INGREDIENTS
6 large eggs (use egg beaters)
2 cups low-fat milk (1%) (Use skim or a combo of skim and evaporated skim)
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt (morton's lite or NoSalt)
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
pinch ground nutmeg
1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (4 ounces)(low fat or part skim if you can find it)
8 slices firm bread, cut into 3/4-inch pieces (Nature's Own Double Fiber [50 cal] or other light bread)
PREPARATION
1. Preheat oven to 375 degree F. In large bowl, with wire whisk, beat eggs, milk, thyme, salt, pepper, and nutmeg until blended. With rubber spatula, stir in spinach, Monterey Jack, and bread.
2. Pour mixture into lightly greased 13" by 9" ceramic or glass baking dish. Bake bread pudding until browned and puffed, and knife inserted in center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
3. Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes before serving.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (Without LAWL substitutions)
(based on individual servings)
Calories: 280
Total Fat: 13 g
Cholesterol: 233 mg
Sodium: 545 mg
Carbohydrates: 22 g
Protein: 17 g

Not sure, after you make the above substitutions, what the new nutritional info would be, but you know it would be much less in several catagories...

BarbaraB
05-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Chan, I also used the Ms Dash sauces from time to time. I counted them as a condiment. I especially liked the Mesquite one. I would buy turkey cutletts and slice them up and stir fry them. Onions and peppers, some Ms Dash and maybe some broccoli. If I have a starch left, I will dice up a potato really fine (generally I put in double portions and then split the dinner with my DH and then he has some extra starches with either toast or crackers that I don't have). Anyway, use your condiment portions to make your eating more interesting.

chan
05-13-2008, 11:15 AM
Dan I will try that for sure... it sounds great!
Barb - I didn't know that Ms Dash had sauces... I will look for them asap!!!

Do either of you have any suggestions for Tacos?

Dan2112
05-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Um.. Don't eat them very often? :lol:

I make 'em with ground turkey.. Instead of buying a sodium filled taco mix, I make my own.. Just read the ingredients on the back of a taco mix package and buy the spices accordingly. Basically you'll need chili powder, garlic, paprika, onion powder, black pepper, etc... You can use a pinch or two of Morton's lite or NoSalt if you really need to have that salty hit...

If you like a thick consistancy to your taco meat, use some corn starch and water to thicken the mixture when you add the spices...

Personally, I like to use the small, low carb soft tortillas rather than the fried crispy shells. That way I can save my starches and have two... Of course I load it with lettuce and tomato, with just a sprinkle of low fat cheddar..

Ok.. Who am I kidding?.. I just use the regular cheddar.. :lol: I figure that I'm using so little on my taco that it's not going to hurt to use the regular.. Just try to stay away from the processed cheeses.. Those are deadly to a diet...

Kimphin
05-13-2008, 12:12 PM
I've done "tacos" using the leaves of a head of romaine as the shell. Not exactly as good, but you definitely get that crunch.

chan
05-13-2008, 02:06 PM
I like ground turkey & always loved the soft shells - I am having tacos tonight :)

p.s. Dan - "Ok.. Who am I kidding?.. I just use the regular cheddar..".... LOL, love the honesty!!!

Dan2112
05-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Funny to think of people in NS eating tacos... Then again, I guess it would be funny to think of people in New Mexico eating... um... eating... Ok.. I give up.. What do people in NS eat when they want to eat "authentically ethnic"? I know there's a big Celtic heritage there, right? But I can't imagine Haggis is on too many menus...

4princesses
05-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Hey chan.. I did the tacos with ground sirloin and epicure taco seasoning (available in Canada through epicure that has NO SALT!) with low fat pitas (filling my ingredients into 1/2) I stuff it with lettuce, green onions and other veggies as well. Hope you find a recipe that you like. :)

Elizabeth

chan
05-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Nova Scotia is big on "Mom's Cooking"... and believe me Mom does not cook using LAWL!!
Ethnic foods are to us what Chips & Gravy is to Mexicans - not a big part of life... at all....
Fish & Chips on the other hand... you won't find a reasturant that does not have at least 5 varieties!!