South Beach Diet - Weekend Clucking - May 3 & 4

View Full Version : Weekend Clucking - May 3 & 4

Ruthxxx
05-03-2008, 07:08 AM
Good morning. The deck chairs are wet so bring your Beach towel to sit on while we have coffee. It's gray out there but coffee will help us rise above it. The robins are singing beautifully this morning.

Saturday is full with an afternoon birthday BBQ starting at one and the morning to be spent making devilled eggs as my contribution. I hope to get a chance to clean the inside of my car. A bag of topsoil leaked in the back seat! There are times when I wish I had a kid around to bribe for jobs like that!

What's going on with you? Sit and chat a while. :cofdate:

cottagebythesea
05-03-2008, 07:09 AM
:coffee2: Cheers!

I have the entire weekend to myself!!!!!! :dance: I don't know yet just how I'm going to spend it, but I do plan to enjoy it! :)

cottagebythesea
05-03-2008, 07:13 AM
You beat me to it again, Ruth! :) Speaking of cleaning out cars, you just reminded me that I should vacuum out mine today, too. The girls ate banana bread in there the other day, and there are crumbs all over the place.

Natalie'sMom
05-03-2008, 07:29 AM
Good morning! Well, it'll be a busy weekend -- we have parties to attend each day. This morning grandpa is coming to take my 2 year old out for a few hours, so hopefully the baby and I will get to take a walk on the nature trail behind our house. I am sending DH to the store!

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

femmecreole
05-03-2008, 07:31 AM
Morning all...storming here...thunder and lightening all night long and tons of rain. So much for jazz fest today. Guess I'll go to the grocery store instead this morning and if it clears up, we may go to a restaurant out on a river close to here and see if they have music this evening.

Looks like I might get to go on another swamp picture taking trip tomorrow, so that is something to look forward to.

KO
05-03-2008, 07:35 AM
Morning ladies!
2 days back at work and I'm already back up at the crack of dawn on a saturday about to hit the shower and get my buns moving!
I found out why I've had a hard time (one of the reasons) staying away from a lot of sweet/salty foods. VITAMIN DEFICIENCY! So I have some horse pills to start enjoying and we'll see what happens. Going to see if MIL can meet me at the grocery to shuttle my food home!
Ruth your deck sounds like heaven! Oh Cabana boy!
Cottage: Enjoy your day!! You deserve some spoilage!

ladybugnessa
05-03-2008, 07:40 AM
leaving for richmond just waving hi as I drive through!

CyndiM
05-03-2008, 08:07 AM
Good morning Chicks :wave:

Ruth - Sounds like a busy weekend. I'm still waiting for the coffee to help me rise above the drippy, damp, cold weather outside. Might need another pot ;)

Cottage - Enjoy your weekend! What a treat.

Natalie'sMom - A nature walk sounds like fun

Cat - I can't wait to see the new pictures!

KO - Which vitamins or was it more general? My chiro has been urging me to get the Vt D test but I haven't gotten around to it. I was up at 5, just out of habit. I miss the days when I could sleep late any day!

Nessa - No waving while driving ;) Or surfing the net either!

We were going to make a quick run to the coast but discovered the forecast had changed and it's raining there too. It's just not worth the drive when it's both cold and rainy. Looks like it will be chores today. That's not bad since we both have other commitments tomorrow. It's just dull.

I'm trying to get myself back on track. I did great for 7 months - no real OP eating, not even tempted most days. The last week or so I've had a tough time though. I'm not eating off plan so much as eating too much when I'm not even hungry. I have a history of bulimia in my 20s and binge eating forever so this concerns me. I suspect it's being close to goal and maybe a little self sabotage. My binges were always very private so I'm hoping that putting it out here in front of everyone will help me get back on track.

Kara - bet life is very busy right now. You are missed around here!

Here's to making the most of drippy damp weather!

Pearlrose
05-03-2008, 09:12 AM
Good morning Chickies, just stopping in quick to say hello.

I have to get the house cleaned and then we are going to DS track meet and who knows what....looks to be a beautiful day, I have the windows open to get fresh air in the house.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

zeffryn
05-03-2008, 09:56 AM
Cyndi - What is making your chiropractor think you are vit. d deficient? It is one of the hardest vitamins to be deficient in, as you almost have to try not to get it.

Anyway, good morning chicks. We had some horrible storms last night, but it's really beautiful right now. I bought some ww graham flour and I think I'm going to make muffins with it for breakfast. Hubs wants salsa eggs as well.

We have to take both our cars to get the oil changed and mine needs an alignment. After that, we're going to Men's Warehouse or somewhere similar to get a sportcoat for an interview that hubs has this week.

I'm hoping to rally our friends and their son together to go for a hike at a nearby nature preserve. Maybe have a picnic afterwards.

Have a great Saturday, girls!

CyndiM
05-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Zeffryn - Do you have a source for your info? I'm really curious because I've been reading and hearing a lot of info about Vitamin D deficiency lately, all saying that most people are deficient. I assume there must be another side out there somewhere so would like to hear more :)
Sounds like you have a nice weekend planned.

PearlRose :wave:

cottagebythesea
05-03-2008, 10:20 AM
I'm back from getting groceries, and just made reservations at a tea room for my mother and I for this afternoon. :) That will be her Mother's Day gift from me, since I'll probably be spending next weekend at Monica's.

I'm interested in hearing more about Vitamin D, too. My Gyn strongly recommended I take it every day along with my calcium. :listen:

All of a sudden there's all kinds of sirens and horns going off, we don't live far from a firestation. Somebody's weekend is getting off to a bad start. ;)

krosmon
05-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Good morning from the Old Hen.

Another beautiful day in So. Calif. It got up to the mid 80's yesterday but is supposed to be a bit cooler today. Now if I could just get my buns in gear and go exercise. Such a lazy bum I am.

Today, I have to drive about 100 miles to the high desert to watch my DGS play in his soccer tournament. If they win today, they come back up tomorrow for the championship. But it probably won't happen. Soccer with 16-year olds is pretty rough and some kids in the team have that macho attitude that causes problems. The game starts at 2 p.m., but I am meeting my family for lunch first, so I have to hit the road in about 2-1/2 hours.

Yesterday, I went for lunch to an old barbeque place that just changed ownership. Had a big cobb salad. Therre was enough for 2 or 3 people, but I don't like left-overs, so I ate the whole thing. I thought for sure I'd done some serious damage to my program, but I only gained .2 lb. this morning. Today, I should do much better. Then I had a diet Dr. Pepper - so good - but they make me so hungry later, and by dinnertime, I was famished. But I just had a big piece of chicken and called it a day.

I got some Vit D pills at the drug store. I also take Vit B-12 and a bunch of other vitamins. My holistic doctor always gives me a B-12 shot when I go see him.

I was hoping to download the new SB book into my Kindle electronic book, but it hasn't been put on Kindle yet so I'll wait. I don't need any more paper books in my place - I'm overwhelmed with all the low carb cookbooks, etc., I already bought - and I rarely do much cooking as I live alone and my tastes are pretty plain unless I go out to eat.

Hope everyone has a great day. Stay dry, Cat.

CyndiM
05-03-2008, 10:45 AM
I'm interested in hearing more about Vitamin D, too. My Gyn strongly recommended I take it every day along with my calcium. :listen:

I started hearing about it in the winter. I'm one of those people who get a bit testy by February ;) Now though I've been hearing more about the connection to general aches and pains, arthritis, fibromyalgia, etc and deficiency. Some current research indicates that because most of us don't get outside enough and use sunscreen when we do (as we should!) we aren't getting the D we need. Apparently those of us who were/are obese also need more D because it's fat soluble. I love research so I've tossed in a few links if you want to read more. I tried to stick with sites without an agenda (like selling more vitamins!).
www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080125223302.htm
www.hsph.harvard.edu/review/spring07/spr07vitaminD.html
www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/are-you-getting-enough-vitamin-d
www.motherearthnews.com/Natural-Health/2008-02-01/Vitamin-D-Sunshine-Supplements.aspx

Yes, I am a geek. Why do you ask ;)

hmacneil6
05-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Mornin' Ladies! I'm terrible about taking my vitamins. I'm sure that I have lots of deficiencies...maybe at the store I should check something out. Like most of you today I'll be cleaning and grocery shopping. I also need to get a new pair of shoes and a new bra. Good times! Tonight I think dh and I are going to scrap the concert that we were going to go to and go see a movie instead. I hope everyone here has a lovely weekend!
ENJOY!

Barb0522
05-03-2008, 10:57 AM
My multivitamin has 800 IU of vitamin D and I drink a glass of milk or two a day (says 25% RDA) plus my yogurt has 20%. I think considering I get outside without sunscreen more than I probably should each day, I think I'm okay on that. I can see it might be an issue for someone in a less sunny region.

It's a bit nippy this morning so I haven't been able to get Brian interested in working in the backyard. I drop him with his Dad in 2 hours so I'm working on meal planning instead. I really need to enjoy this weekend as it is my last mostly free weekend until after Twilight Camp in mid June.

Kim_Star060404
05-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Morning ladies! I'm feeling refreshed and ready for the weekend and a nice, clean (re)start to P1.

Ruth: Mmm. Deviled eggs sound delish. I keep saying I'm going to make some for DH and I, but then forget to. I'll just hope that I remember to make them some time this week. ;) Enjoy your bbq this afternoon. Thanks for getting the coffee going!

Cottage: Enjoy your appt. with mom! I hope the people requiring all the sirens are okay. A whole weekend to myself...I can't imagine what I'd do!! I'm sure I'd end up cleaning all weekend. :lol: Enjoy your day!

Natalie'sMom: I hope you enjoy your nature walk. Try to get some rest between rushing to all those parties!

Cat: Good morning! :wave: Sorry that your Jazz Fest plans were ruined by the weather. I'm sure you'll have a nice day just the same!

Kier: Just noticing that you didn't specify which vitamin(s) you're deficient in. So, maybe there's a lot of discussion over nothing! :lol: Although, I do believe Vitamin D to be important and make sure I'm getting enough! Hope your new vitamin reduces your cravings.

Nessa: :wave: Enjoy Richmond!

Cyndi: Awww, honey! :hug: It takes a very strong woman to tell us what you did. We will be here no matter what. Just remember that you're a beautiful person who has come a long way on this WOE and that to maintain that, you need to eat! Be good to yourself, dear!

Pearlrose: Enjoy DS' track meet and the beautiful day!

zeffryn: Hope you get the hiking crew together. That is on of DH's and I's favorite things to do when we get company. Pack 'em into the truck head north for 30 minutes and hike and picnic.

krosmom: How do you like the Kindle? I've considered it, but don't know if it would be worth it for me. I love my books, but I'm pretty good at parting with them when it's time. I just don't know. Anyhow - enjoy your time with your family and good luck to DGS and the rest of the team!

hmacneil: I have a hard time remembering to take my vitamins as well, so I leave them right next to my alarm clock so that taking them is the first thing I do every morning. Hope that whatever you and DH decide to do, it's fun! Have a great Saturday!

Barb: Enjoy your last weekend of freedom!

Me: Not much going on for me today. Started with a clean P1 breakfast and will be heading out to the "gauntlet" in a few to do the first P1 interval walking plan from the new book. Then it'll be a snack followed by cleaning up the front yard and rose bushes. (Had a pretty good freeze this week followed by a lot of wind, so the yards are littered with leaves.) After that, I'm not sure what's on the agenda. I'm sure some house-straightening and a little laundry.

Some great news is that, in spite of the freeze this week, my basil has started sprouting, so there is hope for the rest of the new herbs. I'm excited! Fresh herbs this summer will be SOOOOO nice. I miss them so much!

Well, off to check into the P1 thread. See you all later!

FluffyK
05-03-2008, 12:57 PM
Today is my 2-week mark of exercising nearly every day. My 2 miles must be paying off, as DH said today that I'm "lookin' gooooood!" ;)

zeffryn
05-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Zeffryn - Do you have a source for your info? I'm really curious because I've been reading and hearing a lot of info about Vitamin D deficiency lately, all saying that most people are deficient. I assume there must be another side out there somewhere so would like to hear more :)
Sounds like you have a nice weekend planned.

PearlRose :wave:

According to the Vitamin D Council (vitamindcouncil.org) a normal person needs 4,000 units of Vit. D a day....and the normal person makes up to 20,000 units
of Vitamin D in 20 minutes of summer sun exposure.

According to Wikipedia, a person could be deficient because of inadequate sun exposure (Washingtonians beware!), a disorder that leads to reduced absorption, conditions that impair the ability to convert the vitamin D into active metabolites or, rarely, by hereditary conditions.

Under normal circumstances, ample quantities of 7-dehydrocholesterol (about 25-50 g/cm of skin) are available in the stratum spinosum and stratum basale of human skin to meet the body's vitamin D requirements,[4] and melanin content does not alter the amount of vitamin D that can be produced.[11] Thus, individuals with higher skin melanin content will simply require more time in sunlight to produce the same amount of vitamin D as individuals with lower melanin content.

-- I forgot to post this earlier when I was writing it, so I have completely lost where I was going with this post...;)

It's been in the news a lot because there has just been a discovery linking deficiency to cancer. My thoughts are...what hasn't been linked to cancer?

CyndiM
05-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the link Zeffryn! I do love information and research. They definitely seem to make the case for supplementation - noting that most of us get more D from the sun than we realize but are still about 2000 units a day short. I'm going to take some time tomorrow and dig through the site more. They link to lots of research and I like that. I'm specifically interested in the arthritis links because I've been dealing with that stuff for quite awhile.

Did I mention that I'm a big geek?!

Did you get out for your hike and picnic today? I was envying you while it rained here - all day!

SkinnyDogMom
05-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin, this also means it is one of the Vits that you can OD on and have toxic effects. So, just be cautious. As always, consider the source of the information. Try to find some "neutral" sources, not a company selling a vitamin etc.
I have also heard more and more about Vit D deficiency due to "overuse" of sunblock. A bit of sun is good for you!
There are many fortified foods out there that may contain additional Vitamins that you may not think of...cereals, milk, etc. So, be aware of your dietary intake when you are considering any vitamin supplements. Too much of some vitamins and you basically just pee them out, but too much of others can lead to toxicity.

Schmoodle
05-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Good evening chicks, Tonight was fun dinner. We had a busy day of cleaning and running, and when we got home, my friend called and said she had some steaks and wanted to know if we wanted to get together and grill. The weather was so nice, we sat out on the porch until 10 just enjoying it. After the week I had I really needed that.
I finally had a chance to hit Aldi for my grocery shopping today. What an awesome place! I had a full cart of groceries and only spent $100. I estimate I saved about 75% over if I had bought similar stuff at my usual groceries. Definitely a place that will become part of my regular shopping routine. Sadly, I don't think I can do all my shopping there, so will still need to hit my other places, maybe every other week.
Tomorrow I'll try to get up early and work out and work for a few hours. Then a quick stop at my great-niece's first birthday party, and then off to DD's piano recital. Then batten down the hatches for another week.
Now I think I will go read some of my book for as long as I can stay awake. Which may be a while because DH made me a strong cup of coffee after dinner.

Kim_Star060404
05-03-2008, 11:18 PM
:o Just noticed that the Vitamin D conversation began as a result of Cyndi's post...doh! Speed reading gets you nowhere!!

CyndiM
05-04-2008, 06:53 AM
Yuck! It's still rainy and cold here this morning. I should be getting ready for an annual warbler walk but no way I'm going out in this.

Thanks for indulging my off topic D discussion :) SkinnyDogMom is so right - there is a lot of information out there that is suspect at best. It's always good to check for the source of funding on sites and in research. That being said :soap: I do think a lot of people are far too passive when it comes to their health. I see it with my Dad. He just takes whatever the doctors tell him at face value without researching anything. Doctors are just human after all and I really think we each know our own bodies. Guess I've had to be more proactive because I've got "issues" that don't fall neatly into easy categories and I've had too many docs who just want to throw pain meds and immune suppressants at me. :soap:

Kim- I'm usually reading that way at night trying to catch up. I never quite do :)
:drool: basil It will be awhile here but I still have a little of last year's pesto in the freezer to hold me. Love the new picture BTW!

FluffyK - :cp::bravo: Bet you're feeling good too

Barb - Hope you're enjoying your weekend

:wave: to everyone

I've got a work event this afternoon. It's an annual river plunge and our agency is the recipient this year. Since it's not totally work I can hang out with my co-worker with a glass of wine and cheer the jumpers on. I, of course, will be inside where it's warm and dry!

What is everyone else up to? Hope you have better weather!

Ruthxxx
05-04-2008, 07:20 AM
Cyndi, it's nice to know there's another Early Chick around here. I am also a :soap: when it comes to health issues - especially diabetes. Too many people are lemmings.

Wet, dark and rainy here and I'd love to take my book, coffee, a cuddly dog and go back to bed. However, its Food Bank Sunday at Church today and I'll have a trunkload to deliver after the service. I think it's so sad that we have to have food banks. Claire and I intend to grow extra veggies this summer.

After the food run, I will visit Harry with Hershey. I need to go there tomorrow too as there's a Volunteer Appreciation tea. I have insisted that Hershey attend as she is the actual volunteer. She will just stay out of the room with the food so the Ladies' Auxiliary doesn't freak out about health regulations! It'll keep me away from those darned tasty tea sandwiches too.

It's going to be a busy week with the tea tomorrow, Meowee (another MOD) is coming for a visit and digging and potting for the Hort Society Sale is this Saturday and the Church sale is the 17th. May is just whizzing by.

Find yourself a tranquil and quiet spot today.

cottagebythesea
05-04-2008, 07:27 AM
It was supposed to be a dreary, rainy day here, but now they are calling for a pretty decent day. I have another "just me" day today, and I plan to clean, do laundry, and see what needs done in the garden. Andrea will most likely come over with the grandkids, too, since the guys will be finishing up her floors today. Yesterday was such a pleasant day! I decided to take my mother out for tea, and we had such a nice time together. :) Later Jake called and asked me to meet them at a local restaurant for a late supper, where I enjoyed a grilled chicken salad. So I had a totally decadent day! Today looks like it will be about the same, Jake said don't plan on anything for supper, as they don't know how long they will be working today. :)

I really appreciate all the information regarding Vitamin D. I'm afraid that I tend to be one of those "passive" people that take everything a doctor tells me as gospel. I plan to start changing that!

ladybugnessa
05-04-2008, 08:09 AM
Today is my 2-week mark of exercising nearly every day. My 2 miles must be paying off, as DH said today that I'm "lookin' gooooood!" ;)

that is great!

i'm in the hotel room (days inn nothing special) outside of richmond. we got to the room around 3 am.... dh is still sleeping.... check out is 11 so i'm gonna give him another hour or so....

race was great...
my eating was all beachy food if not beachy amounts and i was low on veggies... all in all a great day!

Kim_Star060404
05-04-2008, 09:18 AM
Good Sunday Morning, my fellow beachies!!

Schmoodle: Your night on the porch sounds wonderful. It's still a bit too chillly to do that here. Enjoy your busy Sunday!

Cyndi: Thanks! It takes me so long to find a pic I like. Sorry your walk isn't going to happen, but it sounds like you've got a great plan for this afternoon! Have a good day!

Ruth: I love that May is whizzing by - makes our big vacation seem so much closer! I'm glad you pushed for them to allow Hershey. She definitely deserves to be recognized.

Cottage: Don't worry, I was the same way about doctors for a long time. Then I moved out here where the choice of physicians is limited and started pushing harder for more concrete answers. They may find me a difficult patient (and DH as well), but we have to let them know that just because they're the only doctor we can see, that doesn't mean we can't question them. Hope you enjoy your time cleaning and visiting with the grandkids!

Nessa: Glad you seem to be having a great time in Richmond! Hope you got enough sleep!

Me: Woke up this morning, popped a couple vitamins (folic acid and a multi) and decided to work out and then eat. Bad idea as half way through the total body workout part of the new book, I was ridiculously naseous. It took me a while to figure out what was going on, but I did. I just finished a clean P1 breakfast and just decided I would have to start my day over. I'll do my workout this afternoon instead.

Yesterday was great. All in all I spent 5 hours working on the front yard minus 30 min for lunch and a few min helping DH with our broken toilet. (He got it fixed! Yay!) Then came inside to eat dinner (taco bake and salad) and watch the Spurs lose :(. Today we have church, grocery shopping, workout, straighten the house and do some laundry, FPU tonight and then ironing for the week before bed. It will be another busy Sunday!!

Well, off to do the dishes. Hope you all have a great day!

~Kim

krosmon
05-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Good morning, everyone.

It is a nice, cool, cloudy day today and supposed to stay that way for a couple more days.

I spent yesterday in the high desert about 90 miles away watching my grandson's team play in their soccer tournament. But the coach never put my grandson in the game. My son was very upset as they drove about 150 miles to get there. Anyway, they tied 0-0 so, technically lost and don't have to go back up there today. I'm sure my grandson would quit the team except three of his best friends are also on the team and he doesn't want to leave his friends. He's 15 so probably won't be playing soccer much longer anyway.

The winds were blowing so bad that it was hard to control the ball. And forget putting up an umbrella for shade. It would have been tossed all the way across the park. So, I am sunburned as well as congested.

I met them for lunch before the game and had a nice chicken salad with very thinly sliced apples, walnuts and blue cheese. After the game, we stopped at a Mexican fast food place, and I had a taco bowl with lettuce, chicken, cheese, some beans and some guacamole. Very good but too much. Before I went to bed, I had six strawberries.

Stepped on the scale, and I am up a pound or so, so today, I have to really watch it again. And with this congestion, I think today will be a good day to kick back and try to stick totally OP. I have a couple rose bushes I want to get in the ground in the next day or so. Perfect weather for planting as there is no sun and it is cooler.

Hope everyone has a lovely day.

hmacneil6
05-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Morning Ladies,
Yesterday was as we planned....Groceries, errands, preping for today's party, and we got out for dinner & a Movie. We saw "The Bank Job" with Jason Statham. Really good, if you like those kind of British Action films. Dh was super impressed.
So I'm all ready for my party today. I made Schmoodle's Salmon Pate', crustlees mini-quiches, strawberries w/ fruit dip (FF cool whip & SF lemon yogurt), & crackers & veggies w/ hummus & cream cheese feta spread. I'm hoping everyone enjoys, and that there aren't too many left overs. After that I'm probably going to crash tonight. It's been a really busy weekend.

I loved what Ruth said this morning
"Find yourself a tranquil & quiet spot today"
ENJOY!

zeffryn
05-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Cyndi - You're welcome. I, too, like to research different subjects. Google is my best friend. It's part of what bothers me so much about uninformed parents -- who claim that they have no way to learn -- the internet has a world of information at one's fingertips if you only take the time to look. :)
Yes, we did get out for our hike...no picnic, though. The wife in the family that we went with is a bit of a downer. She claimed she was tired about 10 minutes into our hike and sat down, pulled a magazine out of her backpack and told us to pick her up on the way back. Gee, thanks. Part of the reason why we made the plans to go for a hike was because her doctor told her that she needed to get out walking more to help her pt along. She wasn't a happy camper for the 10 minutes she was walking either...whined the entire time...even more so than the two children we had! I think it's time my family took some time apart from their family, which is unfortunate because the men are best friends and the kids play so well together. The wife just really makes things unbearable. We can tell she isn't trying to be rude, but she's an only child princess who is used to getting things her own way....and if she doesn't, she pouts. :(

Anyway, today DH and I worked on the house and did some gardening. I threw a roast in the oven this afternoon, so we'll be having that and mashed potatoes for DH, mashed cauliflower for me, ww rolls, and broccoli. I also made a ww, sf strawberry rhubarb cobbler for dessert. It smells yummy!
It's been awhile since we've had a traditional sunday supper, so I figured it was about time. Roast is DH's favorite meal.

DS is diapering a stuffed animal and putting it to bed. too cute!

also, I looked through my grandmother's old recipes that I got when she passed. I found some really great recipes that I'm going to make for my son's 2nd birthday. A lemon-aid punch recipe, a great bean recipe, a cheerio bar thingy, a fruit dip made with lemon yogurt and a strawberry pretzel bar recipe. His birthday is going to be held in the park with an accompanying bbq.

CyndiM
05-04-2008, 07:29 PM
I also made a ww, sf strawberry rhubarb cobbler for dessert. It smells yummy!

:drool: Okay, now I've gone to my happy place. I :love: rhubarb. I will have to experiment.

zeffryn
05-04-2008, 08:40 PM
I <3 rhubarb also. It isn't very readily available in the south. My husband had never had it before I made a strawberry rhubarb pie last summer. He loves it now.

I went to the store to pick some up for some rhubarb dessert topping and they had no idea what it was. I told them it was a bright red stalk.....they pointed me in the direction of swiss chard! Oh well. I finally found it, but it's $4 a lb! Back in MN, people were giving it away they had so much!

The cobbler I made is more like a clafouti, but it's yummy (I snuck a bite :) I took 1 cup of ww flour, 1 t. baking powder, 1 cup splenda, and 1 1/2 cup of ff skim milk (you may need a bit more milk). Mix it together and then add 1/2 cup of melted butter or margarine (it's a lot, I know.....this is a once in awhile thing). Mix well. Pour into 8x8 baking dish and scatter with as much rhubarb and strawberries as you want. Make sure the fruit sinks to the bottom a little. Sprinkle with a bit more splenda and bake for 30-45 minutes @ 350.
It isn't very sweet and is FULL of fruit. mmmmm.

happiness seeker
05-04-2008, 08:58 PM
HEy Ladies I am back... again...

Is rhubarb allowed in P1? I need to try some new foods so I do not stray, so far I have had some hits and some misses, I was thinking rhubarb might make a nice dessert.

cottagebythesea
05-05-2008, 06:00 AM
Welcome back, Happiness Seeker! Yes, rhubarb is allowed on Phase 1, since it is technically considered a vegetable. :)