Old 05-01-2008, 10:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 262/see ticker/153

Height: 5'6"

Thumbs up Black Team - Healthy Eating on the Beach

The purpose of this thread is to encourage healthier eating styles. Every week we will choose an a new veggie (or maybe even a fruit). We'll give tips on how to buy them and cook them up. All team members are encouraged to ask questions, offer recipes as well as their favorite tips.

Ready....set.....go!
Old 05-02-2008, 01:08 AM   #2  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

I'm looking for a good roasted vegetable recipe. Grilled or cooked in the oven.

I'd also like to cook them up on the grill but I find if I marinate them with a bit of oil they tend to flare up on the grill.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:13 AM   #3  
Mind over platter

S/C/G: 215/195/144

Height: 5'5"

Default Eggplant Rocks!

Here's to all those vegetables to come! Thanks captain
Old 05-02-2008, 08:20 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 199/160/149

Height: 5.5

Are we going to use this thread to post our accountability for our meals each day?
Old 05-02-2008, 09:30 AM   #5  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bme View Post
I'm looking for a good roasted vegetable recipe. Grilled or cooked in the oven.
I can go with the roasted veggies in the oven. I was sure I had a really good eggplant recipe, but I'll talk about it at the end of the roasting. I went back and read my blog for the temperature. I think I might have even said 400F in the team thread, but it was 450F I was cooking them at.

Preheat oven to 450F.

Select veggies you're going to use and prepare them by cleaning and/or trimming them as needed. I've used (lately) cauliflower, baby carrots, brussels sprouts - these all need the longest. I've also done eggplant and red onion - the onion though should wait about 10 mins before adding. Green beans are great, but add them about 10 mins later. Guide - cauliflower, brussels sprouts, carrots, eggplant (30-40mins), onions (20-30mins), green beans (10-15mins).

Take a baking sheet and cover with aluminum foil (easy clean-up) and spray lightly with non-stick spray. Place vegetables on the foil and spray again lightly with non-stick spray (about 3 secs total - 30 cals for my spray). Sprinkle with salt, pepper, basil, and chopped garlic. Roast for amount of time noted above, adding and mixing in other vegetables as desired. When finished they should have some browned areas, the beans will shrivel a little. Remove from the oven and bring the four corners of the foil up slightly. Toss in a Tbsp of balsamic vinegar and shake lightly to coat.

I used to use about 8 - 10oz of raw mixed vegetables for a nice big side serving. You can roast larger amounts and save some (nice cold), but if you're doing that add the balsamic vinegar only when serving.

Eggplant

I can't find the original recipe, but what you did was roast eggplant and red onion together (basically the way above). Cube the eggplant and sprinkle with salt and let sit for a while first. Rinse and roast with onion and garlic. When ready, mix with a can of drained white beans and 3 - 4 pieces of sun dried tomato (not oil packed) softened in water for 30 mins, then cut into strips. The original recipe called for you to let all come to room temperature, but if you want to serve it warm just nuke the beans before mixing them into the roasted vegetables.

Serve spoonfuls of the mixture wrapped up in a tortilla with a little grated cheese. It makes a really nice wrap. I'm on a higher protein kick at the moment so I usually serve the roasted vegetables beside a wrap of meat and cheese.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:57 AM   #6  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

this will be cool for ideas! I am THE WORST at veggies!
Old 05-02-2008, 05:40 PM   #7  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

I *love* to grill veggies. My favorite is zucchini and crooknecked squash. I slice them, lengthwise, about 1/4" thick, put them in a plastic grocery bag and add a little olive oil and salt and pepper. I shake them up and put them on the grill until they have nice grill marks and are soft. It really intensifies the flavor of them. Every once in a while, as a treat, we make a grilled veggie sandwich on foccacia with feta and grilled zucchini, squash, onions and red peppers. Delish!
Old 05-02-2008, 07:11 PM   #8  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Oh, I used to love making roasted veggies (usually potatoes, bell peppers, onions, and carrots)...but haven't for so long. I usually only eat them raw or steamed these days.
I want to start roasting once in awhile again! Widen my veggie horizons!
Old 05-03-2008, 02:54 PM   #9  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Has anyone tried the Chocolate flavored Cool Whip? It's like a light chocolate mousse.

2 Tablespoons on 1/2 cup of sliced strawberries makes a delicious 1 WW point dessert or snack.

Ummm

They have a strawberry flavored one I haven't tried yet. I did try the French Vanilla - used it on top of a lite version vanilla cake with berries. Everyone said it was great but personally I didn't care for the vanilla one and I love vanilla flavor.

Last edited by happy2bme; 05-03-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:32 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Has anyone tried eggplant? What did ya think?

those whipped creams sound good, but I don't think they have them sugar free. I do use the regular free kind for desserts sometimes, mixed with SF jello and fruit is really good as well.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:45 PM   #11  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

I am making eggplant this next week (I had already planned out my meals until yesterday). I am going to be making an indian eggplant dish. Have you had your eggplant?
Old 05-04-2008, 05:11 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

I haven't had mine yet. It's actually one of those things that I have always cringed at, just the look of it for some reason makes me want to get sick. I don't know, I just have it in my head it's "gross" I guess...not sure why. I will have to just make myself buy it, then it'll be eat it or waste it and I dont' like to waste.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:38 PM   #13  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Height: 5'2"

GREAT idea. I'll be joining this thread because I've been working on increasing my vegetable consumption and eating as healthy as possible!!! Thanks!!!

Last edited by Cheree; 05-04-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:51 PM   #14  
TBL Black Team Member

S/C/G: 253/237/153

Height: 5'8"

Awesome idea! I was looking at the eggplant at the grocery store the other day and wondering what the heck I could do with it. I remember when I was a kid I loved it fried up like french fries, although that would be totally off plan to me now. Looking forward to reading some of the suggestions/recipes. I'll give it a try again for sure!
Old 05-04-2008, 11:43 PM   #15  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplefirefly View Post
Has anyone tried eggplant?
I DARE you or anyone else to try and find a vegetable I haven't eaten!