Alternachicks - Alternachicks Chat- May

View Full Version : Alternachicks Chat- May

gaia2094
05-01-2008, 07:38 PM
New month, new chat! :carrot:

I had bad Chinese and thin crust pizza today. I'm not concerned because the overall amount of food I've eaten is not much at all. Mouth still hurts, but can make chewing-like motions to a certain degree before it begins to hurt.

guynna
05-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Owwwww -- even when I eat healthy, I like eating to be a fun/good/tasty/spiritual experience. Owy, owy, owy, I hope you feel lots better soon.

I've had a way off-track week (exam week) but look forward to getting past graduation on Saturday and being healthier next week.

gaia2094
05-02-2008, 11:24 AM
I am now praising the mouth thing! 6.4 lbs down this week! YAY!

GoldieStars
05-02-2008, 01:18 PM
I am proud to announce that I have lost my first five pounds! I'm totally excited about this, especially since this past week has been an exercise bust. I've only worked out three times this past week. Other than the Pakistani feast I had I've been really watching my caloric intake. May is going to be a good month.:)

guynna
05-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Woo hoo!! You go, girls! What a way to kick off a new month! I hope you'll inspire me to get back on track : )

PinkyPie
05-03-2008, 08:07 AM
Hey Girls! I'm here! Good to see you all and already with some success!

stitchwitch1224
05-04-2008, 09:51 AM
Hi Everyone!
I also have lost my first 5!
Yippie, I am on my way!:dancer::woohoo:

PrettyPaula
05-04-2008, 11:35 AM
well done switch!! hey everyone!! have had my sleeve session will post in the photo thread :) lemmee know what you think!

mauvaisroux
05-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Congratulations Goldie, Gaia and Stitchwitch!!!! :cp:

DH and i really enjoyed ourselves at the Police concert last week - they were awesome!!! Funny how songs can take you back to a time a place within hearing a few notes. :)

I went for my annual checkup on Friday am and things look good so far but I have to week for about a week or so to get my bloodwork results back. :crossed: I laso discovered that my scale at home is wrong and that I am 3 lbs less than I thought I was - I'll take it! :D

Hope you all had a great weekend!

jessica0826
05-05-2008, 01:34 AM
I am new here and just thought I would drop in an say hello....I am working toward my first five pounds and thought this looked like a good group.

PrettyPaula
05-05-2008, 06:22 AM
hey jessica!! welcome!! ive just dropped my first five so it is totally do-able!

martinlady711
05-05-2008, 07:06 AM
So I hope i am not offending anyone by posting here. I am semi-new to 3fc and I am finally getting the courage to poke and post and thought I would check out and see what you ppl are all about? I hope that doesn't sound rude. I just saw the title as being "alternachicks" and I wasn't 100% sure what that meant and all. If i am not supposed to be here please accept my apology.
Congrats though to all of you who've lost already! That's great and a real inspiration to the rest!

PrettyPaula
05-05-2008, 07:21 AM
alternachicks... its kinda for gals into the alternative life style and community...rock, punk, goth, tattoos, piercings, hair dye and motorobikes for a short summary hahaha

:) welcome!

guynna
05-05-2008, 11:36 AM
hi martinlady, and welcome! (when I first looked at your name I thought it said "martini lady," which perhaps tell you where MY brain is, these days...!) I think there's actually an explanation of the "alterna' name on one of the threads -- maybe it's a sticky -- but it is pretty laxly applied. I'm really older than the 80s scene implied by "alterna," but I feel at home with the energy here.

Tell us something about you -- what kinds of food and exercise plans are you following? I am (a) drinking more water, (b) walking my dawg twice a day, (c) going to Curves several times a week. Since school just ended (graduation was Saturday, woo hoo!!!!) I am hoping to step it up over the summer. I eat pretty low-fat and veggie.

talk to you soon,

martinlady711
05-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Well lets see "about me" I am not following an exact "plan" but I am eating healthy, 4-6 very small healthy meal type things. I don't drink anything besides water and fruit juice (as far as non-alcoholic goes) I have been doing some of the firm work outs but I am waiting now on some other workout dvds I bought from eBay. At first I was consumed with losing the weight getting the numbers DOWN but now I am more focused on the whole toning muscle and knowing muscle weighs more than fat.

As far as "alternative" goes...I have piercings, tats, I dye my hair *sometimes* I am not goth though. I am a smartass do as i please person. I don't try to conform for anyone just for the sake of pleasing them. Ok so thats all I can think of currently!

Gymrat128
05-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Mauvaisroux: I don't see you over on the SBD boards anymore. Are you still doing WW combined with SBD?

I'm thinking this may be the best choice for me. How did it go for you? :dizzy:

GoldieStars
05-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Congrats to everyone who lost last week! I had a great weekend, I worked out, worked on my house, and actually didn't overeat when my boyfriends' mom made me curry! I'm thinkin positive for this week, this Friday I finally get to go to the doctor for my checkup.

mauvaisroux
05-05-2008, 10:17 PM
Welcome jessica and martinlady! :wave:

I actually started "alternachicks" as a thread to meet people with similar interests as me when I first joined 3fc in 2002. There were a lot of nice people on the site but I found I didn't really find a group that I felt completely comfortable with and wanted to meet some fellow "freaks and geeks" like myself who were trying to lose weight.

The thread somehow blossomed into a forum and here we are!

The criteria for being an alternachick is pretty loose . . . I think it is pretty much people who are interested in books, art, movies, tattoos, music, sci-fi, gaming, bellydancing . . .you name it - pretty much people who like to express themselves and have fun with it. :)

jandaman
05-06-2008, 03:34 PM
aloha guapas!

howdy to all and sundry :) especially the new faces

i was awol for a while...mysterious health issues etc. but now i am back w/ a vengeance (waddevah) i managed to maintain all thru april but have now regained a couple of pounds. arrgghhh. looks like i will be restarting phase one sbd soon. eggie weggies here i come!

congrats on all y'alls loss of poundage!!!!!

gaia2094
05-06-2008, 09:40 PM
-waves- Hey martinlady, yay, new people!

The weird mouth illness has cleared! -cheers- I can fully chew, swallow, and hug all kinds of dancing crunchy foods! :carrot:

My TOM is coming, but at least I can lay in my room and work on my book without feeling stressed out; I had to get my mother to help me clean, how sad is that?!

jandaman- Sorry to hear about your gain! :hug: But hey, you've already won by not giving up! -feels like a goth female Richard Simmons but less creepy-

mauvaisroux- And I love you everyday for starting this forum; otherwise, I'd just feel out of the loop. :hug::carrot:

mauvaisroux
05-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Gymrat - I forgot to answer your question . . . I haven't posted in SBD forever - They left my menus up for anyone who is interested in the idea of combining both programs. I did lose another 10 lbs on the SBD/WW plan but now I am focusing on maintaining, eating a wholefoods diet and exercising so I am not following a specific plan - although I do use some of the SBD recipes and WW recipes regularly.

Janda and Gaia - glad you are feeling better! :)

I have been roped into (possibly) going to a Metal Festival by DH and some friends in June. It will involve a short road trip, 10 hours of heavy metal music by various bands, possibly some clubbing afterwards - should be fun!

gaia2094
05-07-2008, 01:54 PM
mauvaisroux- Wish I had a husband who "roped" me into a heavy metal road trip! It sounds awesome! Have fun, avoid McDonald's and all drive-thrus.

going2Bhealthy
05-08-2008, 08:38 AM
Hello! I think I must be one of the most sporadic posters ever :( I've been doing really rubbish at healthy eating and drinking and this weekend is a good friend's bday bash, so I'm going to end up drinking quite a bit, but on the good side, I've just joined a gym! So I'm definitely back on track for may :D

I've also just got my new hair dyes in the post so I'm bleaching my hair for the first time in 6 years and will be sticking on the dye on saturday morning, wish me luck!!

Well done to all your losses ladies!!! Have a great day and a great weekend!!

jandaman
05-08-2008, 03:50 PM
hiya going2! good on ya w/the gym and all. i totally used to always dye my hair to symbolize turning over a new leaf so to speak...i feel envious! i have been dark and sultry for soooo long now when it used to be every shade of pink *sigh* what color are you going for?

ASHmomma
05-08-2008, 09:25 PM
Oh. Well I've looked around & I'm reading what other people post. Thought I'd just jump in here.

My name is Melissa, mom of 2; Acacia 7 & Ashlynd 4.

Have my own photography business in midwestern Iowa/Illinois, run it out of my home. Mostly photograph pregnant women & newborns, also working on photographing homosexual families. Just attempting to carve my own niche around here.

Guess thas just a lil bit about myself. Hope to meet some interesting, open-minded people & this seemed like it could be the place to do that.

gaia2094
05-09-2008, 02:07 AM
ASHmomma- First, LOVE the names. More people need to deviate from the norm and give their kids awesome names that stand out! :carrot:

And kudos for being the open-minded photographer. You won't find many, if any, here in the south. Too many homophobes, its a real shame. But awesome that you're being the mindful photographer, we need more people like that! And welcome (like a paragraph later, lol).

jandaman
05-09-2008, 07:28 AM
welcome melissa! maybe u could post some of ur pics to enjoy?? i'd love to see 'em.
hey gaia, how's ur mystery disease coming along? hope ur all better even tho the perks (all that lost poundage) weren't that bad;)
and so i tried on my summer wardrobe and almost cried.....i had bought all new threads last summer after having lost 16k...but i have regained 6k and boy, does it ever show*sniff* but am motivated! bought the new sbd book and will be hot by july...uh..september*grin* no, seriously! have a great weekend everybody!!!

ASHmomma
05-09-2008, 04:35 PM
You know I would LOVE to post some of my pics, I'm not sure how to do it here. Uhh. I have a myspace account if anyone ever gets that way.. it's myspace.com/fromwithinphotography so if you'd like to go there & check it out or explain how to post here. Either way.

mauvaisroux
05-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Welcome Melissa! :wave: I think it is great that you are going that route with your photography business - I am sure there is a market for it - I like the name you chose for the business too -very fitting. :)

I went for my first official mammogram on Friday - my doctor started me early as my mom had breast cancer. It wasn't as bad an experience as everyone was telling me it was going to be. . . I just hope my tests come back ok. :crossed.

Going2behealthy - good to see you on the boards again!

gaia2094
05-10-2008, 11:36 PM
jandaman- They told me it was pharyngitis. Through the wonderful world of the Internet, I found out that pharyngitis is a fancy name for a sore throat. How it made the right side of my mouth swell up to where I couldn't open it, I don't know. But its pretty much gone now, besides a small sore at the top of the right side of my mouth near my gum.

Finally got back on the treadmill (Mom fixed it last night, yay!) and did my hour at a ridiculous incline... hurts like you wouldn't believe. Then again, this is a dieting board, so you all probably would know. ^_^

going2Bhealthy
05-12-2008, 06:48 AM
jandaman, the colour is called Rubine and it firstly came out a relaly bright vibrant pink, I put some more colour on the next day and it's still really vibrant but more of a magenta colour. I also have flamingo pink which will hopefully look awesome too! I'm so pleased with how it came out :)

Glad to hear you're feeling better Gaia! And yay for exercising :D

I have the day off work on thursday so I'm going to try to book my induction at the gym for then. In the meantime I'm doing a bunch of overtime to actually pay for th gym membership... why is it so expensive!!!

My weekend was fun and even quite productive yesterday, I cleaned the entire kitchen from top to bottom in prep for getting a new fridge-freezer on friday. I'm really looking forward to this week :D I guess it helps when the sun is shining ;)

I hope everyone is having a great monday! xx

gaia2094
05-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Mine's pretty interesting so far... There was a kitten under our small pull trailer in my backyard. Its sitting on my neck right now staring at me as I type. I spent an hour coaxing it out and then sprinting to the house to keep it from squirming out of my arms. I'm really disappointed in my dog, she started chasing it when I let it walk on the floor. I expected my sister's dog to do it, but my dog is usually so laid back and sweet. She (the kitten) is currently crawling on my neck. She's adorable, but I doubt my mother will want to keep her. That and she keeps rooting on me for milk. :dizzy:

jandaman
05-12-2008, 05:50 PM
haaaaaaallllllloooooooooo

guess where that inane quote is from??? anyways...sun has already set in this corner of the world but will def check in tomarrah (is anothah day!--can't stop thinking in quotes) and git mo personal-like :)

anita, velveteen, irish??? i am lookeeng somewhere to finchoo (more dubious quoting. def time for bed)

ASHmomma
05-12-2008, 06:45 PM
Ok I think I figured out how to attach some of my pictures. Uhh if you still were interested in seeing them. Just a couple favorites for now!

gaia2094
05-12-2008, 11:23 PM
If I had any delusions that I was ready for kids, they just flew out the window.... This kitten has drained me dry! I'm exhausted, and I hate to say it, but I can't wait until someone takes her. She's climbing on everything, trying to get under the door (had to stuff dirty laundry there so she won't get out) and almost choked trying to eat dry dog food. This is just fun, fun, fun, lol. Oh, and I didn't get to eat until around 3 because I was so busy with her, trying to keep her from rooting my armpit for milk that wasn't there. We think someone dumped her here yesterday, which is just cruel. It's happened before unfortunately, last time was a pregnant cat that ahad a litter of four with three surviving.

ashmomma- Beautiful photos! Those are the kind I'd like to get done when I'm pregnant (in like 20 years, lol). They're beautiful, slightly sexy, and very artistic, I love them.

jandaman
05-13-2008, 06:25 AM
mornin' all.

melissa: love the pics- they're beautiful, i especially like the one w/the couple. it's so real. the happy red-headed boy scares me, just a wee bit (too many chucky marathons)

gaia: ur doing a good thing. but i can relate-when we first got boo tazer somehow my motherly instincts went into hyperdrive and i also ended up thinking..how could i ever manage human babies??!! hang in there!

jandaman
05-13-2008, 07:05 AM
going2: ur color sounds gorgeous! again, color me pink w/envy! my fave was dark tulip, which sounds a lot like rubine
u almost inspired me to clean my kitchen (really needs it) but i opted out and decided to work on my tan instead :)

ASHmomma
05-15-2008, 01:49 PM
Jandaman, thanks. The lil boy actually has blonde hair, he just did his own hair & went crazy with the hair gel. His baby brother was actually kicking him in the face when I snapped that shot. So he was giggling & I thought it was cute. He's no Chuckie, just a goofy 9 year old.

Gaia, thanks as well.

Do you have a humane society around where you live? GOOD LUCK. I just can't handle cats; they're more work than children in my opinion!

Although, climbing on furniture, CHECK! - the kids do that! Trying to get under the door... well the house we're moving into has a hole cut for an animal to get from the kitchen to the basement & my biggest fear is that my 4 year old gets her head stuck in it, so... CHECK! - my kids would[I] do it. AND I've had to pull dog food out of [I]both of my kids mouths.

Jeez, it sounds like you gave birth to a baby kitty! Congratulations mommy!

mauvaisroux
05-15-2008, 09:25 PM
Hi everyone! :)

Gaia - your comment about the kitten made laugh! :lol:

Ashmomma - great pictures! I like the one of the couple - I'd love to get something like that done for my DH and I instead of the typical studio portrait.

DH and I celebrated our wedding anniversary this evening - we went out for a lovely meal followed by a decadent dessert and a lovely walk. I'm still in love with him after 15 years :love:

PinkyPie
05-16-2008, 01:09 AM
quickly dropping in Ladies...

sorry I've been away a bit - can hardly get on the site while I'm at work and haven't had much time in the evenings to get online (good excuse, been at the gym :D ). But I'll do a proper catch up this weekend! Thanks Jan for getting me back in here!

and very quickly... HAPPY ANNIVERSARY Red!!!!

jandaman
05-17-2008, 08:34 AM
hey guapas

soooo glad the weekend is here. i've been teaching so much lately; my students have their cambridge exams comin up and they are all freaking out and so they try to monopolize my freetime...want private tuition..which actually ends up as a therapy session more often than not. so i am exhausted. and it is so hard for me to stay on track when i am teaching back-to-back courses. ugh. i need to work on establishing boundaries; i've got such a mother theresa complex. double ugh.

happy anniversary mauvaisroux-15 years! ur blessed.

hey, melissa, hope i didn't offend ur artistic sensibilities with my tactless chuckie remark...that's just me and my weird-o humor ;)

nice to see you 'round these parts agin mizz velveteen. i had an epiphany the other day..you know how sometimes u can recognize a sentiment as being true but it doesn't hit home (re:ur "tired of...pretty face" sig.) so the other day i caught sight of myself mirrored in the glass doors on my way to class and the thought just hit me "do people look at ME and muse-oh, she has a real pretty face and she could be hot if she just dropped 30 pounds?" wow. it felt like i hadn't actually SEEN myself in a while. and i didn't like the feeling. at all.
so sick of envying those lithe, long-limbed bronze beauties....summer always does me in.

mauvaisroux
05-17-2008, 07:08 PM
Thanks Velveteen and Janda! :)
Hope everyone is having a great weekend. This Monday is Victoria day here in Canada so it is a public holiday -3-day weekend!!!! :cb:

We are going to a party tonight and then having friends over for BBq tomorrow - hope it doesn't rain - :crossed:

Janda - hope you get some rest this weekend!

going2Bhealthy
05-17-2008, 08:05 PM
Hey girls!

Gaia, I looked after an orphaned kitten for a day and during the night it just wouldn't leave me alone, it was adorable but exhausting! Have you found someone to take the kitten on?

Ashmomma, those pictures are lovely!

Mauvaisroux, Congratulations on the anniversary!

Jandaman, I thought about getting Dark Tulip, I think I'll definitely try it one day. I'm going to take full advantage of having bleached hair, lol

Our fridge came yesterday, but I still haven't sorted my induction at the gym, but I am, am, am booking it tomorrow! I need to get moving, I've been slacking so much :( but I'm laying off the overtime for a little bit, so have no excuse :)

Enjoy what's left of the weekend everyone! :D

PinkyPie
05-18-2008, 07:00 AM
nice to see you 'round these parts agin mizz velveteen. i had an epiphany the other day..you know how sometimes u can recognize a sentiment as being true but it doesn't hit home (re:ur "tired of...pretty face" sig.) so the other day i caught sight of myself mirrored in the glass doors on my way to class and the thought just hit me "do people look at ME and muse-oh, she has a real pretty face and she could be hot if she just dropped 30 pounds?" wow. it felt like i hadn't actually SEEN myself in a while. and i didn't like the feeling. at all.
so sick of envying those lithe, long-limbed bronze beauties....summer always does me in.

I started reading Bob Harper's book "Are you Ready!" and he suggests in the beginning, to truly be ready, to look at yourself (naked or not, however you are comfortable), TRULY look at yourself and describe what you see. Then we move on to acceptance and then we move on to doing something about it. I try hard not to think what others may be thinking, but it happens a lot, mostly I'm sure I'm making this crap up "Too bad she's so fat" "She'd look a lot better/younger/whatever if she weren't so overweight" "Oh great we have a fatty representing us" So, in a way, I guess I'm not really ready to take a good hard long look at myself and stop seeing negative things, I feel so disgusting sometimes... :o

summer definitely does me in. On top of being fat, I'm also the one that doesn't mind the rain or the cooler weather... I can keep covered up more and I don't have to see everyone else's flesh...

stitchwitch1224
05-18-2008, 06:19 PM
Had the stomach flu this weekend and ended up loosing like 4 lbs. maybe it will stay off. I guess that is a silver lining.

gothik butterfly
05-18-2008, 07:05 PM
popping in to introduce myself and say hi! I figure, this is probably another subforum I'll be frequenting so hello! My introduction thread will tell you much more about me if you so choose to check it out.

Hope1974
05-18-2008, 11:28 PM
I thought I'd check in. Didn't get much done today. Was stuck in bed all day long sleeping. After band practice we grilled steaks, which my new stomach did not like. I ended up getting terribly sick. Will spare the awful visuals. Shows me to overeat and go rich on butter and garlic. I got notice that my new Wii FIT will be in store in the next week or two, so I am super excited. Beyond all that I'll stick to Subway for lunch until I can shop for the week tomorrow night. I'm still too green in the face to deal with food today.

mauvaisroux
05-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Welcome gothik butterfly! :wave:

Going2B - thanks for the well wishes. :)

Stitchwitch - hope you are feeling better today. :hug:

EastBay - let us know how the Wii Fit is when you get it - I'm thinking of getting it.

I had a great weekend but overate yesterday. Today I just loafed around reading and then watched a couple of movies.

jandaman
05-21-2008, 07:49 AM
hey peeps!

i am going to try and do some personals here, lessee if i can do that quote thingy...

mostly I'm sure I'm making this crap up "Too bad she's so fat" "She'd look a lot better/younger/whatever if she weren't so overweight" "Oh great we have a fatty representing us" So, in a way, I guess I'm not really ready to take a good hard long look at myself and stop seeing negative things,

i have to say i also seem stuck in a negativity loop...i think it could just be negative projection still, i really do not want to stop and really SEE me right now, i haven't been taking care of myself and .oh.ugh. i cannot seem to get back on track.

hey stitchwitch..silver lining indeed!

eastbay- sorry about the icky grossness..but, at least ur bod is now having none of that-which means u must be on the right track!

:wave:gothik howdee!