Old 05-01-2008, 11:22 AM   #1  
Formerly know as Fauxtini

S/C/G: 369.2/ticker/235

Height: 6'1

Default Calorie Question

I have been on the GI diet since Feb. and have decided to more closely watch the amount of calories I'm taking in each day. I'm working on losing weight and want to make sure I eat enough and not too many.

I just started a fit day page and I was wondering approx how many calories I should be eating in your opinions.

I'm 26, 281.5 lbs and 6 feet tall.
I work out once a day for 40-60 minutes.

Right now I've relaized that I've been eating between 1300-1500 per day and it's not a struggle to stay within those guidelines. Is that ok? Would I love more steadily if I ate more calories?

I'm to read some of my milions of healthbooks for some suggestions too

Opinions? Suggestions?

Thanks a bunch guys
mountain mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:37 AM   #2  
Simply Filling Technique

Lightbulb Try www.calorie-counter.com

There is a formula that is on that website that will give you the specific amount of calories that you need depending on your age, how much you need to lose and your activity level.

It might surprise you though.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:58 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 233.5/219.5/180

Height: 6 foot

thedailyplate.com has a great calculator as well. If you put in how many LBS you want to lose a week, it will do the calculating for you. It's a great site too! I used to use fitday, but the daily plate has a much LARGER database of food.
Definitely worth checking out!

Good Luck!
BabyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:14 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyRN View Post
thedailyplate.com has a great calculator as well. If you put in how many LBS you want to lose a week, it will do the calculating for you. It's a great site too! I used to use fitday, but the daily plate has a much LARGER database of food.
Definitely worth checking out!

Good Luck!

Wow! the daily plate is AWESOME! Thanks a bunch!
Old 05-01-2008, 05:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 182/146/132

Height: 5'5"

Please join us over at calorie counters. At 5'5" I take in about 1500-1700 calories per day and exercise less than you. You defintely could safely up your calories and you'll probably lose faster too. I've lost on the slow side but that's my thing but check it out over there. There is a whole thread dedicated to how many calories folks consume per day. I think you'd find it interesting.
sumu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:37 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumu1 View Post
Please join us over at calorie counters. At 5'5" I take in about 1500-1700 calories per day and exercise less than you. You defintely could safely up your calories and you'll probably lose faster too. I've lost on the slow side but that's my thing but check it out over there. There is a whole thread dedicated to how many calories folks consume per day. I think you'd find it interesting.
Im on my way there now
Old 05-07-2008, 02:09 AM   #7  
Mommyhood1226

S/C/G: 138/138/128

Height: 5'5"

Default caloric intake

i don't think you are eating enough calories...maybe you're having too less of a certain food you NEEd...like not enough protein, or carbs, or fat. In Jillian Michael's (trainer from biggest loser) book, she says that there are 3 types of bodies that metabolize food differently. you should check it out...if you have any questions..post them to me. some people NEED more carbs to burn more fat. some need more Protein than others. it can differ. Also, what are your workouts like?? make sure y ou are lifting weights..it burns so much more fat and gets much better results than just cardio alone.
mommyhood1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:15 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Okay...the thing with calorie counting, is that it is personal-personal being the key word.

What other people are eating each day, and what the online calculators say, are going to be just guestimates. Each person's metabolism is individual.

Check out the FAQ sticky over in calorie counters-it explains how to get to the right calorie count for YOU.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:01 PM   #9  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

If I were you I would be doing about 2000 per day for now.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:44 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

What aphil said!

I am 5'4" and eat around 1500-1700 cals per day (depending on whether it's a workout day or not). I started out at between 1300 and 1500 and foudn that after the first rush of loss I was stalling msyelf because I wasn't eating *enough* to sustain the amount of working out and weight lifting I was doing.

I sort of plateaued (and sort of slacked off) between Dec and early April of this year and wasn't as careful about watching my food as I should have been.

In mid-April I got back on the wagon and am now eating steadily at my new calorie level, working out 6 days a week (alternating HIIT and weights/functional fitness based on the NROLW program).

I'm starting to drop weight again (praise be!) but I do believe that taking a break and upping my calories a little helped with that. My body needed time to adjust. The good news is that for those 3 months I easily maintained my weight w/out struggling. So it makes me feel very positive that I'll continue to maintain after I reach my goal!

Last edited by PhotoChick; 05-07-2008 at 03:44 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:55 PM   #11  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Fautini, I have no success unless I am b/w 12-1300 (and no starches either). Some people just hold onto weight and cannot use those estimated calculators. (Insulin Resistance, PCOS...)
If what you are doing is working for you and you are feeling OK-- then why not stay where you are? Not broken, not fixing kind of thing.
See you around!!

Kitty
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:52 AM   #12  

thanks guys for all of the ideas!
My workouts rotate between walking, 'trying' to jog hahaha and TBL workout/sculpting dvds, WATP and denise austin's cardio blast. I do my best to mix things up , include some weights .

Ive decided to up my ca intake just a BIT.

I eat mostly all whole/organic foods.. as much as possible and very conscious about the quality of the calories going in. I use lots of natural supplements where some of my food MAY be lacking.

Thanks for all of the advice, and yeah... as for the clorie counter.. i use it for curiosity sake, but im not so freaked out by the numbers anymore!!! hehe