100 lb. Club - MAY NSV's

View Full Version : MAY NSV's

Sandi
05-01-2008, 09:54 AM
Welcome to one of the most popular threads here at the 100lb club!

For those of you unfamiliar with the term, NSV stands for Non Scale Victory. This is where we share our progress on matters that don't necessarily relate to the actual number on the scale. Such as making a healthier choice, resisting temptation, receiving a compliment (we're big on those), fitting into clothing better, something in the fitness area and so on and so on. So let's start filling it up.

Apple Cheeks
05-01-2008, 09:09 PM
I have some! :carrot:

* Two more people at work have noticed and commented on my weight loss. :dance:

* I am able to run both faster and longer on the treadmill now. :woops:

* My pants are definitely looking a little baggy on me now.:yes:

* I resisted going on a junk-food binge the other day when I was both tired and stressed from working 8 hours of overtime -- which would usually be a trigger to gobble up junk food left and right. Not only did I resist, but I wasn't all that tempted to do it anyway. AND I still went home and jumped on the treadmill even after coming home so late! I think I'm becoming obssessed with working-out, and that's just fine with me. ;)

LindseyLouWho
05-02-2008, 10:37 AM
I bought a size REGULAR 16 dress from Dress Barn for DBF's law school graduation. I know their sizes run pretty big, but I'm still darned happy about it because the plus sized dresses there are $10 more when you find them in the same style... haha.

pamatga
05-02-2008, 01:48 PM
I post so often here. The big deal about moving was not the moving itself but how much I fell off my food plan. Uff da! Oy! and all that jazzamarazz.

My May NSV is that I resumed my food plan, lost the 7 lbs I had gained from delivery pizza, homemade fudge and regular potato chips (2 big bags!--I haven't done that in years). I ate "clean" and lost that water bloat.

Now, what I am even more pleased with is I took a deep breath and changed my ticker backwards while I was waiting for that 7 lbs to go down the toilet (literally).

For me, the NSV about this is I "owed" up to my indiscretion without whining (I don't think I whined ,did I?), I didn't feel sorry for myself, I didn't throw a scene, although I was very disappointed (I could have dusted with my chin it was that low) and I kept to task.

I won the battle... now I plan to win the war! :woohoo: for Me!

WebRover
05-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Down about 35 pounds now. I keep startling myself when I go to put my hand to my throat or hold onto one of my arms. It's not there or it's so much smaller. I go to put my hand to my throat and my hand has to keep going to reach it. I'm able to wear necklaces I'd set aside because they'd become chokers. I grab my arm and it feels flat out skinny. My watch fits nicely now instead of threatening to cut off my circulation. Wow, Wow and Wow. It's still startling me and it feels like it happened overnight.

Halichick
05-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Here's my NSV's so far...

I put on a pair of jeans that I couldn't fit into even when I was 235 lbs (I'm 250 now)... reason being is that I lost 6.5" in the last 4 weeks!! Yay!!

Halichick
05-03-2008, 12:00 PM
I bought a size REGULAR 16 dress from Dress Barn for DBF's law school graduation. I know their sizes run pretty big, but I'm still darned happy about it because the plus sized dresses there are $10 more when you find them in the same style... haha.

Yay!! Don't you love being able to buy something not rediculously overpriced?! Plus sized clothes are way too expensive. Keep up the great work!!

oreokitty
05-03-2008, 12:23 PM
I had to remove a set of rings because they were literally falling off. But they are really nice, so I'm going to wait until goal (God willing) to get them re-sized.

More people have noticed my weight loss at work.

I fit into some size 20 jeans I wore years ago.

Yeah!! :cp:

Amy

Lyn2007
05-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Last night I reached over and put my hand on the outside of my upper arm below the shoulder and it was HARD. I was like, WTH???? I had to check it out. There is a muscle there, where'd that come from??

chickybird
05-04-2008, 02:42 PM
This is a silly thing, but I'm proud of myself...
I gagged down a bowl of oatmeal!!!! I haaaate oatmeal, but I found a new kind that has tons of vitamin s in it, and for some reason I get sick when I take regular vitamins, even kid ones. So I now look for vitamin rich food. I have never in my life been able to eat oatmeal (I like the taste, can't stand the texture). It is so hard for me to swallow, with out barfing. I rewarded myself with fresh strawberries.

Shy Moment
05-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Chicky
That is great. Sometimes we really do things we hate because it is good for us. Oh my gosh, if it weren't for the carbs I would eat oatmeal morning noon and night.

Lyn
Nice going. When you do your workouts pay attention to your arms. Look at them. I get a kick out of seeing the muscle in my bicep while I do exercises. I never had a muscle before lol.

oreo
Those are some reason nice showings of losing weight. Take each and everything that happens and enjoy it to the fullest.

hali
Great going on the weight loss and the clothes fitting so much better.

Lindsey
Terrific going on finding something in a 16 that fit great.

Apple
Sounds like you have done a lot of great things for yourself. I am real happy for you.

I bought some size 11 pants that fit. I got some 10's that are a bit tight around the waist but I couldn't believe I could button them.

Web
The scale showing us our loss is terrific. Our body showing us our loss is even better. Looks at your arms and wrists and fingers don't they look skinny now lol.

Pam
You have done terrific. I think one of the biggest Nvs's any of us can have is look ourself straight in the face and realize we are the only ones that can change things.

newbebop
05-05-2008, 09:24 AM
others have been commenting on my weight loss. :-)

None of my pants fit with out a belt and I am about to move on to yet another set of holes. (thank goodness it is about garage sale season)

I wore one of my 14yo ds's sweatshirts yesterday.

FB
05-05-2008, 11:28 AM
I was drying my hair last night and FREAKED OUT when I glanced in the mirror, screamed for the husband, something was wrong with my wrists- there were these godawful lumps on them....

BONY WRISTS! I have noticeable wrist bones. When did that happen?

I had to laugh at myself afterwards!

Robin41
05-05-2008, 12:31 PM
I'm standing in line for my once a week frozen nonfat yogurt treat when an old man standing behind me tapped me on the shoulder. He said "I hope you don't mind me asking, but are you a runner? You look like a runner." I responded with "I only run if somebody's chasing me, but I do work out a lot." He thought that was hysterical and told me I looked very fit.

A total stranger, even if he was a kooky old man, told me I looked very fit. It was pretty cool. It made me want to go back and work out some more.

Shy Moment
05-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Newbe
Don't we loveeeeeeee yard sale season lol.

fb
That is to funny

Robin
That is terrific. Shows you all the hard work really does get noticed.

xGurlyGrlx
05-05-2008, 03:06 PM
My NSV might seem kind of weird. This weekend my town had a fair and I wanted to go. My dog was neutered on Friday and wasn't feeling well enough to go or be left alone so my bf and I stayed home. My NSV is that I was upset that I couldn't go! Sound weird....I know. I never really wanted to go anywhere like that before. It was more like I would go just to say I went or to make my bf happy. I never really enjoyed doing things outdoors because it was too hot or I couldn't wear things that are summer like. I feel so much better now and I ENJOY being outside and I want to do things!! I feel like a different person now. We even bought new bike seats so we can go on longer bike rides!

Idealmuse
05-05-2008, 06:43 PM
It's both a NSV and a Scale one.

I ran for 73 minutes without stopping yesterday!! :)

and... I'm under 200 for the first time in 15 years

Woot!

fiberlover
05-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Gave blood today, my BP was 106/68 !! Heart rate at 58. :woohoo:

Shy Moment
05-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Ideal
That is wonderful on both counts. Congrats getting under 200. I bet you have been working very hard to get where you are. Now, about the 73 min of running. I might be able to run for 73 min if a big bear was behind me and had already caught the hubby and ate him ( I can run faster than the hubby ) and the bear was still hungry lol.

Gurly
That is a very good nsv. You are seeing the changes in yourself. Not just the weight but the things you now want to enjoy and do that you didn't want to do before.

gr8smyl99
05-06-2008, 08:29 AM
My NSV is that I'm struggling - but I'm not giving up. In the past month I haven't been consistent for 2 straight weeks - so I'm up a few down a few - but still not making any progress.

But - on the bright side - I haven't blown it all off - which at this point I probably would have in the past. I feel differently this time - like I want this for better reasons. So I try harder - and pick myself up when I fall. And that, to me, is successful!

thistoo
05-06-2008, 03:24 PM
Mine is kind of silly, but what the heck. I'm *starving* today for some reason (probably my recent increase in cardio catching up to me), and of course someone brought in a box of donuts on the one day I could eat my own arm. Of course!

But instead of justifying a donut because of my sudden increase in appetite, I went across the street to Starbucks for an iced coffee. It'll help fill my stomach and taste a little more like a treat than plain water, thus keeping me out of the donut box. (Let's not even talk about the chocolate someone else brought in today.)

Shy Moment
05-07-2008, 02:35 AM
thistoo
There is nothing silly about that. When we come up with the willpower to do what we know we should do ( like not eat something we really would like ) that is a HUGE nsv

Beth
That is always a great accomplishment. This journey isn't always easy and to stay with the commitments we have made to ourself is very important. You have great dedication and I am sure things are going to turn around for you and you are going to be going in the direction you want to go.

LaurieDawn
05-07-2008, 04:28 AM
I got me a new part-time job. It doesn't pay very well, but it's manual labor, and I am SO excited about it! I know it sounds stupid, but I really want to spend 8 hours a week in continuous activity. Of course, a new job means a drug test, which as a bit of a civil libertarian, I hate. But not really a big deal.

I gave the woman my driver's license so she could confirm that I didn't volunteer to get my hair snipped for the real Laurie. For almost two minutes, she looked back and forth from the license to me. Finally, I asked her what the problem was, and she told me how much different I looked. For the first time in forever, I actually looked at the picture, and I felt like I didn't recognize me. I complain too much about my elephant calves or my jiggly thights, but this helped me remember that I've come a long way.

Shy Moment
05-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Laurie
Congrats on the new job. I would rather find a job that I am active while I am there than sitting around or standing around being bored. Makes the time go faster. Isn't it great to realize we need to get a new drivers licenses.

thistoo
05-08-2008, 12:30 PM
I was looking for something to wear this morning and on a whim I pulled out an ancient pair of capris that have never fit me. I figured they still wouldn't, but I'd try them again just to see how much further I have to go. And what do you know, they fit perfectly! Yay for new(-to-me) pants!

Shy Moment
05-08-2008, 01:51 PM
thistoo
Always nice to find something that fits that we couldn't wear before. It is like having new clothes lol.

WebRover
05-08-2008, 09:57 PM
This week I wore three necklaces that had become *chokers*.
Turquoise necklace that had become so tight the clasp wouldn't stay fastened.
Brown and yellow necklace made of amber.
My pearl necklace.

It was really nice to wear them again.

:queen:

Idealmuse
05-09-2008, 02:44 PM
"Now, about the 73 min of running. I might be able to run for 73 min if a big bear was behind me and had already caught the hubby and ate him ( I can run faster than the hubby ) and the bear was still hungry lol."

LOL trust me I know the feeling. I couldn't run for more then 1 minute in January, and basically never could run even in high school, so this was huge for me. Especially since my August Triathlon requires a 6 mile run which will probably take me about 70some minutes.

xGurlyGrlx
05-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Yesterday I decided to go through my closet and see what jeans I have and in what sizes. I have this favorite pair of jeans that I swear were custom made for my body. They fit perfectly when I could wear them. Well, I didn't think they would fit because I currently am wearing a size or two bigger than those jeans but I put them on anyways to see how close I was. And what do you know...they fit - PERFECTLY! Just like they did a few years ago. They are the most perfect pair of jeans I have ever owned and will be sad when they are too big...but I think I will deal! ;)

FB
05-09-2008, 05:19 PM
I really do fit in 16's! I bought a pair of 16 pants a few weeks or so ago, skeptical that they fit- blamed the cut, the brand, ect ect.

I went out to get a pair of jeans- lo and behold! 16!

So I've gone from size 22 since January to 16! No muffin top! Excited! 14's here I come!

CandyKisses0204
05-10-2008, 02:30 PM
I avoided the cupcakes and cookies!!!!:carrot:
On thursday it my the grand opening for my job so i ate WAY off plan. The cookies and cupcakes were still here and i have avoided them all day!!! Everytime i walk past i think about eating one, then i get some self control and realize Im not losing anything by NOT eating it:D

thistoo
05-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Good job, Courtney! Cupcakes are hard for me to pass by, so I applaud you.

My NSV for this weekend is that on Friday I ran three miles on the treadmill. Without stopping! That's a big deal for me, because I really don't enjoy running.

I also went out of town for a friend's graduation this weekend and make great food choices the entire time. I think I was annoying her because she kept ordering things like onion rings and fried green tomatoes ('they're vegetables, right?' 'not really'), while I ate salad and grilled chicken. But I don't care what anyone else eats, I only care what I eat. So I'm proud of myself for staying OP when faced with pancakes and Lyn's famous biscuits and lots of other carbs.

Shy Moment
05-11-2008, 11:21 PM
web
So glad you can wear things again that you really like.

Ideal
lol. While we were at the zoo this weekend someone said something about being able to run fast while we were at the bear area. I just laughed and said there are lots of people here that can't run as fast as I can, I will be safe. I can run pretty darn fast if a bear is after me.

Gurly
Oh nice going on the pants. I had a pair like that. I was not happy when they were to big to wear and then I thought what the heck is wrong with you. YIPPPEE they are to big lol.

fb
Wonderful. Won't be long and you will be wearing 14's.

Candykisses
What a great way to look at it. You are strong, you are in control.

thistoo
You are right. This isn't about what others eat. This is about what we eat. We are the only one that can make good choices for ourself.

thistoo
05-12-2008, 10:52 PM
I have a new one that just happened tonight at work.

I'm a reference librarian at a public library, and part of my job is teaching computer classes. One of my regulars came in tonight to use Publisher, which she's never used before. So I got her started and answered questions periodically, and when she was done she gave me a bag with a card and a mini loaf of homemade sourdough bread as a thank you for all the help I've given her.

It was really sweet, but more to the point, it was a HUGE temptation. Carbs and I just don't have a good relationship, particularly carbs made from white flour. But that bread smelled good, and I seriously considered stopping at the grocery store on the way home to pick up a jar of peanut butter (not the natural kind, either) and eating the whole loaf when I got home.

I really wanted to. I really, really did. But instead I left it on my desk to give to my coworkers tomorrow, and I came home and made some protein-fortified faux ice cream out of frozen bananas, skim milk, and protein powder. It wasn't sugary peanut butter on sourdough, but it was OP, so that's what counts.

Lyn2007
05-12-2008, 11:25 PM
I have one today. My DH bought a big bag of crunchy Cheetos today. Cheetos are probably one of my top 5 binge trigger foods. I have eaten entire bags of them. I seriously have a major Cheeto issue.

Anyway, he poured a big bowl of them and left them on the kitchen table. I have been walking around them all evening. And I know I will be watching him eat them when he comes back in. I have not had a single one. I did not even touch them and then lick the orange off my fingers. And I have committed to myself that as soon as he leaves tomorrow (he is going out of town for a month) I am going to THROW THEM AWAY. Not having a single Cheeto is a huge NSV for me.

Someone please ask me tomorrow if I threw them away...

Trazey34
05-13-2008, 12:22 AM
I started giggling like a crazy-person today, walking down a long corridor at work to the water cooler -- as I was walking I'd looked DOWN and noticed for the first time I see BOOBS and then feet!!!! NO BELLLLY interfering with the line of boobs to feet!!

amazingplatinum
05-13-2008, 12:31 AM
I wore a size 18/20 shirt for the first time in YEARS! I was wearing 26/28 and the largest t-shirts I could find! I went to work and people went, "OMG you are looking great." That was an awesome feeling for me. I held me head up high all day long.

gr8smyl99
05-13-2008, 07:59 AM
Lynn - DID YOU THROW THEM AWAY?!?!?!?!?

One of my client's is a bakery - owned by an italian man with an old world mentality about food. He considers it an insult to not eat his food. Anyway - I managed to get through the entire day without 1 single treat. Woohooooo :)

Lyn2007
05-13-2008, 03:13 PM
Beth,

YES!! I did it! My NSV for today: as soon as I dropped DH at the airport I came straight home and threw out those cheetos!! A first for me... a bag of cheetos in my house and I did not eat ONE.

gr8smyl99
05-14-2008, 07:26 AM
woohooo!!! You Go Girl!!!!!

Shy Moment
05-14-2008, 08:12 PM
thistoo
Way to go on controlling temptation.

lyn
You have a couple of nvs's there. First controlling yourself to not blow up at someone who would bring something in the house that is a trigger food for you. Wow that is self control. Second the Cheeto's, that is so terrific that you want to be healthy more than you want something that tastes so good to you. I am very proud of you.

Trazey
Oh my gosh, that has to make you feel sooooooooo good.

Nada
05-15-2008, 06:21 PM
My sister dropped her jaw when I told her I walked 6 miles.--That was the best feeling of accomplishment.

gr8smyl99
05-16-2008, 07:44 AM
This may sound silly - but I threw out my bigger size panties. I had to buy them back in December, and for the past 2 months they've been sitting in the back of the drawer. Throwing them out means I will never need them again. And I am committed to that!

WebRover
05-18-2008, 10:04 PM
Tonight I got all my food lined up for work tomorrow.:dancer:
Packed up the rest of the 2% cottage cheese. (I buy it in Sam's sized tubs)
Made my salad. :carrot:
Remembered to buy a new bottle of salad dressing for work. :smug:
Packed my snacks & raw veggies for breakfast. :broc:
Set up the espresso machine with coffee & water.

DD wants a smoothie for breakfast tomorrow, so I bought everything for that. Portioned out the fruits. :cb: Changed out the food processor for the blender.

So I'm all planned and ready to go in the morning.

Lyn2007
05-19-2008, 01:10 AM
My NSV this evening is, I feel like smacking someone but I am not taking it out on food.

(BTW, no one in particular I want to smack...)

Shy Moment
05-19-2008, 02:10 AM
Lyn
I think we all have those days lol. Nice going not turning to food.

Web
Great going on the planning. Oh I miss cottage cheese lol to much sodium for me.

Beth
I think that is the best way to do things. Our clothes start to get a big snug, it is time to crack down and take the weight off. Not go out and buy clothes.

Nada
Makes a person feel good to do something others don't think we can do lol.

Pandora123a
05-19-2008, 04:06 AM
Several recent victories...

I'm wearing size 20's...got into three pair of pants that I bought and never wore because I gained weight faster than the season changed. (And they have zippers and buttons, not a stretchy waist!)

Today while at an ice show my husband bought me a bag of potato chips...possibly my worst "trigger" food. I ate half and gave him the rest of the bag and told him to throw it away. I DIDN'T FINISH IT!!!

No bread at dinner on Friday night. (We went out, I love the bread at the restaurant!)

I ate three small meals today, rather than snacking my way through the weekend.

Pandora

gr8smyl99
05-19-2008, 07:42 AM
Even though the scale was not my friend this morning, I know I must have lost inches, as one of my pairs of pants finally fits me again!!

I'm going to hold onto that good feeling - and not let the scale get me down :)

PrettyPaula
05-19-2008, 09:53 AM
wOOHOO! awesome NSVs everyone!

i am bursting to share mine today...

i am wearing today my favourite pair of cropped cargo pants that i wore last summer that i could not get on last week. im over the moon!

and whilst trying some clothes on for my holiday today i noticed a SIGNIFICANT reduction in my thigh area and far less cellulite! im gonna take some progress photos tonight !

Lyn2007
05-19-2008, 11:14 AM
Wow great NSVs everyone! Pandora.. way to go! What IS it with husbands buying us our trigger foods??

Beth I am watching you... lol. Hang in there. Your body is changing and the scale will show it eventually. I have been stuck around 225 for like 2 weeks now and it sucks! But it will come off of us BOTH.

Paula, looking forward to the progress pics when you share them :)

Me... I have one that is great but annoying! Yesterday it got to nearly 100 degrees, so I got out all the sleeveless shirts and tank tops I have. (Yeah my arms are bad but I need to be COOL!) I bought most of these tank tops and shirts 1-2 summers ago. They're nice! Um, nice and HUGE. Seriously, they are SO huge on me I look like I am in a potato sack. I mean, I will wear loose clothes, but there is no way I can wear ANY of these shirts. I would look like a clown in them. HUGE. They are all size 26 or 3X. It is hard to get my mind around the fact that they all fit me perfectly for all of last summer. Wow.

Anyway nice but annoying because now I have literally no sleeveless shirts or tank tops to wear. Walmart, here I come.

PrettyPaula
05-19-2008, 11:23 AM
that is a mixed one isnt it!!

great for new clothes, annoying for old wardrobe! give them away to charity then its even better x

FB
05-19-2008, 08:58 PM
I had a pretty happy one today... I bought tops from the 'normal' section of Kohls- and they fit wonderfully! I was so very happy to have a wider selection, I forgot what I was missing out on all these years.

lala229
05-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Last night, I painted my own toenails! 35 pounds ago, I just couldn't bend that way. I was so excited!!

PrettyPaula
05-20-2008, 06:03 AM
that is great LALA!!!

i put some progress pics up in mini goal forum :)

Nada
05-20-2008, 11:12 AM
I put on a form fitting top this morning and when I pulled in my stomach I looked so good it scared me;). I didn't wear it today because I can't walk around all day with my stomach pulled in! so my next NSV will be when I have the courage to wear it.

hautbois
05-20-2008, 04:00 PM
I use to have chronic low back pain, which I always just blamed on my bed (because it was worse in the mornings). After exercising consistantly for a couple of weeks, the pain is gone. :broc:

Pandora123a
05-20-2008, 04:17 PM
What IS it with husbands buying us our trigger foods??

My theory is that we send mixed messages. For years I have been grateful to my husband for NOT being the diet police, accepting me at every weight and being willing to let me indulge. So...when he goes to get himself something to eat and wants to do something nice for me...there are the potato chips (or chocolate) that he knows I love. He gets them. I can't thank him one day for letting me do this on my own, not trying to control my eating etc, and the next day be angry that he has brought me something he thinks will please me.

The lesson for me is that I am asking him not to buy me food as a treat at this point unless I have specifically requested it. (If I ask for a candy bar he isn't to say no...but if I don't specifically ask he isn't to volunteer it.)

I think that will work for us!

Meanwhile...my sister thinks my pants should be taken in! Yahoo!

Pandora

Shy Moment
05-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Pandora
When I started this journey to a more healthy body I sat the hubby down and we had a talk. We talked about the meads I was on for so many years. We talked about me not watching what I was eating and sure not eating enough. We talked about all the wrong things I had been eating. We talked about what I didn't want in the house. I think communication is a real big help when it comes to losing weight. Nothing is brought into the house that I don't want in the house. If he and the kids want something they go out and eat it. Sure they have junk food in the house but it isn't stuff I care one way or another about. I think it is real important to let those around us know we need their support.

Isn't it amazing what getting the body moving does for us. I have so many less aches and pains than I use to have. I don't even have quite as much problems with the arthritis as I use to have.

Nada
I think that is a great goal. Sometimes we all worry to darn much about that scale. How our clothes fit is a great indicator on how well we are doing.

Paula
You are doing terrific and it shows.

lala
Keep those toenails polished. Made you feel good to be able to do that and that is real real important.

fb
Oh yes, isn't it great to have such a choice as we have now. To bad the darn styles make everyone look preggy lol.

Lyn
WOW that is great. Hey don't forget to check out the local good wills and thrift stores. You can get great clothes there for near nothing.

beth
We all know that the scale going down is great but our clothes fitting better is wonderful. I think sometimes it takes the body a little time to redistribute weight as we lose. We see the results in our clothes before we see it on the scale.